PDA

View Full Version : Worst Fan Base??????

NJChiefs
08-15-2017, 09:49 PM
In a well publicized study, we were ranked the worst fan base in the NFL! WTF? That really ticks me off. Have any of the "researchers" ever been to Arrowhead? What think ye all of this nonsense?

matthewschiefs
08-15-2017, 11:32 PM
When it comes to these type things I never listen to a word said about us. It's all a bunch of nonsense anyway

Seek
08-16-2017, 09:09 AM
They had three key factors that used in that study. One I just thought was completely stupid. Something like purchasing NFL endorsed jerseys. All that study told me was that Chiefs fans spend their money more wisely.

Eydugstr
08-16-2017, 10:37 PM
In a well publicized study, we were ranked the worst fan base in the NFL! WTF? That really ticks me off. Have any of the "researchers" ever been to Arrowhead? What think ye all of this nonsense?

Do you happen to have a link to this?

TopekaRoy
08-17-2017, 05:42 AM
Do you happen to have a link to this?

This! I would like to read that wacky article for myself and see what criteria they used. I'll bet the "best" fan bases are also among the largest.

TopekaRoy
08-17-2017, 06:24 AM
Never mind. I found it myself with something they call "Google." Here is the link: NFL FAN BASE AND BRAND RANKINGS 2017 (https://scholarblogs.emory.edu/esma/2017/06/17/nfl-fan-base-and-brand-rankings-2017/).

On thing the study doesn't take into account is that large cities will have more rich people (and more poor people, as well). So even if they don't have a higher per capita income, they have more people with the means to buy merchandise and travel to road games. They also have more fans that can take the time off to travel and stadiums can charge higher ticket prices and still get filled. All that works against the Chiefs in terms of how much they spend and how well they travel. As far as social media goes, I'm not sure why the Chiefs fans are 32nd in that category. Maybe we are too busy working and doing other things to spend a lot of time on Twitter and Facebook. Maybe Chiefs fans are a close-knit community who talk to each other in person more so than on the internet.

The study claims to be about the best and worst fan bases. It would be be more accurate to say that it is about the largest and smallest fan bases or the richest and poorest.

Eydugstr
08-17-2017, 09:38 AM
TY for the link, TopekaRoy. And yes, was wondering how the writer came to the conclusion that he did, when the first words out of most commentator's mouths about KC is what a great place Arrowhead is, fans tailgating and cooking stuff on grills etc etc...Also wanted to make sure it wasn't some article from 2011-2012 that managed to float back to the "top" of internet search engines.

The writer did go to a lot of trouble to factor things (there is a link in the article that goes to a 27 page file breakdown) so it's not like he yanked it out of nowhere.

Seek
08-17-2017, 01:26 PM
The writer also wrote an article a couple weeks before this one, where he stated the Chiefs are one of the best fan bases. Complete garbage news.

ctchiefsfan
08-17-2017, 05:49 PM
Survey company knows less about NFL Fan Bases than NFL TV and Radio announcers. They all say we have the best fans around. Anybody besides me remember the Houston playoff game in Houston in 2015 where Chiefs fans were the only people left in the stadium by the end of the 3rd quarter? The survey company got it as wrong as the pollsters got the predictions for the results of the 2016 Presidential election.

chiefnutz
08-17-2017, 06:14 PM
I've heard so many broadcasters and players say there is nothing like the Arrowhead experience. Let them print what they want. You have to just laugh at the article.

brdempsey69
08-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Worst fan base? Does that mean we offend the other 31 team fan-bases more than all others? Well good, let's continue then by all means. That way we can claim a championship of some sort. Just thinking outside the box on this one. :smile

Eydugstr
08-18-2017, 06:49 PM
Worst fan base? Does that mean we offend the other 31 team fan-bases more than all others? Well good, let's continue then by all means. That way we can claim a championship of some sort. Just thinking outside the box on this one. :smile

:lol:

Maybe so. It'd be a nice thing to reflect on someday when we can hear what they're saying (How many decibels does Arrowhead generate again ?!?)

NJChiefs
08-18-2017, 06:52 PM
Sorry I forgot to post the link guys. Anyway, being from the NY area, I've been to numerous Jets/Giants games. None have even remotely compared to the games I've been to in KC in terms of energy and volume. And ask any opposing QB in what Stadiums they hate to play. Arrowhead is always high on the list. For a fan base that hasn't seen a Super Bowl in some 47 years, I'd say we are pretty strong.

jason1981
08-19-2017, 02:02 AM
Sorry I forgot to post the link guys. Anyway, being from the NY area, I've been to numerous Jets/Giants games. None have even remotely compared to the games I've been to in KC in terms of energy and volume. And ask any opposing QB in what Stadiums they hate to play. Arrowhead is always high on the list. For a fan base that hasn't seen a Super Bowl in some 47 years, I'd say we are pretty strong.

Did you have to remind us how long its been?

ctchiefsfan
08-19-2017, 02:14 PM
And ask any opposing QB in what Stadiums they hate to play. Arrowhead is always high on the list.

Just so. Also ask any Head Coach past or present what stadiums are the 3 toughest to play in and many of them will say Arrowhead.

This "study"--and I use that term very loosely--is just a continuation of the habit of disrespecting teams from less populated states. If it wasn't for the Lombardi years the Packers would get treated as poorly as we do by the media. What all these media morons forget is that if it wasn't for Lamar Hunt and the Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs the NFL wouldn't be a fraction of what it is today. Ask yourself how many football leagues have started and failed the last 40 or so years. A BUNCH. But Lamar Hunt and the people he recruited to start teams had what it took to make the AFL work and to challenge the NFL which had been tried before and had always failed. Lamar Hunt is primarily responsible for making the NFL what it is today. A good argument can be made that the Lombardi Trophy should actually be named the Hunt Trophy.

End of rant.

brdempsey69
08-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Just so. Also ask any Head Coach past or present what stadiums are the 3 toughest to play in and many of them will say Arrowhead.

This "study"--and I use that term very loosely--is just a continuation of the habit of disrespecting teams from less populated states. If it wasn't for the Lombardi years the Packers would get treated as poorly as we do by the media. What all these media morons forget is that if it wasn't for Lamar Hunt and the Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs the NFL wouldn't be a fraction of what it is today. Ask yourself how many football leagues have started and failed the last 40 or so years. A BUNCH. But Lamar Hunt and the people he recruited to start teams had what it took to make the AFL work and to challenge the NFL which had been tried before and had always failed. Lamar Hunt is primarily responsible for making the NFL what it is today. A good argument can be made that the Lombardi Trophy should actually be named the Hunt Trophy.

End of rant.

The AFL never should have realigned with the NFL. I didn't like it back then & I still don't like it to this day.

ctchiefsfan
08-19-2017, 03:01 PM
The AFL never should have realigned with the NFL. I didn't like it back then & I still don't like it to this day.

An interesting thought Demps. What would have happened if the AFL and the NFL had never merged? And as you know, it was a group of NFL owners that originally contacted Hunt about a possible merger. The AFL had their own commissioner at the time. Al Davis if I remember right. But the NFL owners didn't approach Davis, they approached Hunt. The AFL was winning the battle between the two leagues or at least was "achieving parity" in the eyes of the public and the TV networks. As for me, I liked the "interim period" when the two leagues were separate but played a championship game between each other. Ultimately though I think that for "business reasons" the two leagues probably had to merge. The separate drafts that generated competition for players that were based mostly on the size of the contracts offered to players was pinching the wallets of both leagues.

But yeah...I miss the AFL days too. I remember being a school kid and being the only kid who supported the AFL. The "cool kids" all supported the NFL. But then, I wasn't "cool" back then and I'm not today. I kind of like being "different". Hell....I lived in the DC area for 22 years. I was supposed to be a Redskins fan. I wasn't. I was a Chiefs fan. Now I live in Ct. I'm supposed to be a Patriots, Jets or Giants fan. I'm not. I'm a Chiefs fan. And after 49 years as a Chiefs fan I guess I will die a Chiefs fan. If Reid can do what Stram did I'll die a very happy Chiefs fan. All I really want is a few more AFC Championship appearances and one more Super Bowl win.

brdempsey69
08-19-2017, 03:17 PM
An interesting thought Demps. What would have happened if the AFL and the NFL had never merged? And as you know, it was a group of NFL owners that originally contacted Hunt about a possible merger. The AFL had their own commissioner at the time. Al Davis if I remember right. But the NFL owners didn't approach Davis, they approached Hunt. The AFL was winning the battle between the two leagues or at least was "achieving parity" in the eyes of the public and the TV networks. As for me, I liked the "interim period" when the two leagues were separate but played a championship game between each other. Ultimately though I think that for "business reasons" the two leagues probably had to merge. The separate drafts that generated competition for players that were based mostly on the size of the contracts offered to players was pinching the wallets of both leagues.

But yeah...I miss the AFL days too. I remember being a school kid and being the only kid who supported the AFL. The "cool kids" all supported the NFL. But then, I wasn't "cool" back then and I'm not today. I kind of like being "different". Hell....I lived in the DC area for 22 years. I was supposed to be a Redskins fan. I wasn't. I was a Chiefs fan. Now I live in Ct. I'm supposed to be a Patriots, Jets or Giants fan. I'm not. I'm a Chiefs fan. And after 49 years as a Chiefs fan I guess I will die a Chiefs fan. If Reid can do what Stram did I'll die a very happy Chiefs fan. All I really want is a few more AFC Championship appearances and one more Super Bowl win.

The merger was a good thing (common draft starting in 1967), but the realignment of the two leagues was not.