PDA

View Full Version : Packers kicker Crosby could have been a Chief

McLovin
11-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Chiefs notes: Packers kicker Crosby could have been a Chief

Missed pick
Green Bay rookie Mason Crosby, who made a career-best four field goals, was the kicker the Chiefs passed on when they selected the since-released Justin Medlock in the fifth round of the draft.
Crosby, who kicked at Colorado, was selected in the sixth round by the Packers, and he’s made 16 of 20 attempts after beating out Dave Rayner for the job.
Rayner, meanwhile, hooked on with the Chiefs after Medlock was released. Rayner had no field-goal opportunities on Sunday, but one of his kickoffs went out of bounds, giving the Packers the ball at the 40 and setting up a field goal by Crosby.
Inside the 20
Chiefs punter Dustin Colquitt landed three punts inside the 20-yard line, giving him 63 career punts inside the 20, moving him into second in Chiefs history.
Road warriors
The Packers are 9-3 on the road in two years under coach Mike McCarthy, including 4-0 this season.
“It’s a great bunch of guys who prepare, focus, and I just can’t say enough about how they find different ways to win,” said McCarthy. “It’s something we talk about as a football team. Week in and week out, somebody has stepped up to the plate and made a key play.”
Toeing the line
Jeff Webb was inches away from giving the Chiefs a big play late in the fourth quarter. With the Chiefs trailing 23-22 with just less than 3 minutes left, Webb hauled in a 36-yard pass that gave the Chiefs possession at the Green Bay 42.
The Packers requested a video review, and the play came back when replays revealed his second foot to be on the sideline, but just barely.
“I thought I was in bounds,” Webb said. “That’s why I didn’t drag my feet. I thought I took two steps and then went out of bounds. Ty Law came up to me and gave me words of encouragement and told me to drag that foot if you’re not sure. I don’t know if I could have or couldn’t have.”
Tyler inactive
Rookie defensive lineman Tank Tyler was among the Chiefs’ inactive players. Tyler played in each of the first seven games but was replaced on the active roster by veteran James Reed.
Kyle Turley, who began the season as a starting right offensive tackle, was also inactive. Tyler and Turley were joined by wide receivers Eddie Kennison and Bobby Sippio, offensive lineman Herb Taylor, linebacker Keyaron Fox and cornerback Rashad Barksdale.

Chiefs punter Years* No. Louie Aguiar1994-98 117 Dustin Colquitt2005-07 63 Bryan Barker1990-93 62 Jim Arnold1983-85 58 Kelly Goodburn1987-90 54 *With Chiefs

| Adam Teicher

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/346934.html

sling58
11-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Thanks for rubbing it in!

:sign0098: :lol:

McLovin
11-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Tyler inactive
Rookie defensive lineman Tank Tyler was among the Chiefs’ inactive players. Tyler played in each of the first seven games but was replaced on the active roster by veteran James Reed.
Kyle Turley, who began the season as a starting right offensive tackle, was also inactive. Tyler and Turley were joined by wide receivers Eddie Kennison and Bobby Sippio, offensive lineman Herb Taylor, linebacker Keyaron Fox and cornerback Rashad Barksdale.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/346934.html

That explains a lot, Sippio, Turley, Tyler were all inactive. As was Herb Taylor (maybe that is why we dont know his name, and Barksdale (maybe could replace Law) hmmm.

I found an interesting comment when looking for info on inactive rule.

Darren asks, "This is the first time I can ever remember fans being interested in the "inactive list." A few questions: What are the NFL rules regarding the inactive list? When must NFL teams submit their active rosters for the game? Is this information made available to the public in any formal way (besides your pre-game column on the website)? And finally, what is the reasoning behind the inactive list? Why not just let all 53 guys on the roster dress for the game?"

Dear Darren: Each team, assuming it has a full 53-man roster, must submit a list of eight inactive player prior to each game, including the third quarterback. If the third quarterback enters a game during the first three periods, the other two quarterbacks are prohibited from re-entering the game. Coaches must submit their inactive lists no later than 1:15 prior to kickoff. I don't know if the information is publicly available in a formal way. The rationale behind is to try to level the playing field in the event of injuries that do not force a player to injured reserve. If the Giants are playing say, Philadelphia, and they have several injured players, they would be at a disadvantage if they could dress only 45 or 46 players and a healthy Eagles team could put 53 players in uniform. With inactives, both teams dress 45 (plus a third quarterback), and the players missing due to injury presumably aren't as big a factor.

http://www.giants.com/news/mailbag/story.asp?story_id=1065

Interesting I didnt know that.

hermhater
11-06-2007, 10:37 PM
That is very interesting indeed.

Wonder when that rule came into effect...

Chiefster
11-07-2007, 07:00 AM
Chiefs notes: Packers kicker Crosby could have been a Chief...

...But he's not.

Move along; nothing to see here. :11: