PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the team at the bye

matthewschiefs
11-20-2018, 10:55 PM
So here we are at the bye 11 games into the season. I got to admit I didn't see us being at 9-2 at the start of the year. I was thinking more of 7-4 range maybe competing for the division or the wildcard. So being at 9-2 is very nice. Also, throw in the fact that both the losses were to super bowl contenders in their house by a field goal each. This team is a contender.

Offense. Last night was a game that I thought we would see more from Mahomes. We all knew that he had a great chance of being a stud QB. I didn't seem him being this good already. Last night was a game I expected more where he would make mistakes that would be costly. If you are looking for a reason to be a glass half full you could sort of make the argument that last night even in a loss was a good thing. There will be a TON from that game for Mahomes to be coached up on. And it comes when there's a little extra time to do it. It's amazing we haven't seen more of those mistakes from him. He's a young QB there are things that having all the arm talent in the world can't teach a guy. He might have needed a knock down to get better.

The o line is starting to concern me a tad. They have had a number of letting the quick pressure get to Mahomes. Injuries are a part of that. Hopefully, they can get healthy and we see less of the pressure on Mahomes as soon as he gets the ball.

Wr/Rb what can you say other then they have been outstanding. There was some talk early in the year on if Hill was a true number 1 WR. I think that he has proven that talk was just silly. I would even say that he is more of a number 1 WR then Bowe was in his best year. The consistency is just there more with Hill. I am very pleased with the offense that we have built It'S ABOUT DAMN TIME.

Defense. Well, they have been below average to be nice about it. Last night they were not as bad as the score would make you think. If you want to be glass half full on them I think they were better last night then they were in the Pats game. But they just haven't been good enough. In both the losses the offense has given them a lead late in the 4th. And they let it go. That just can't happen. I'm not going to mention any more on Bob Sutton other than to stand by what I've said before. And that I think he must go at the end of the year. And I really don't even see an argument to keep him around. The results on the field are what it all comes down to and It just hasn't been there. If Berry were to return and the D would suddenly be much better then I might change my mind on the issue. But I just don't see that happening.

Coaching. I have not been ranting as much on Andy Reid this year. And that's a very good thing. Overall he has been doing a pretty good job with the playcalling. The one thing I will say is last night I saw a warning sign of the old Andy Reid and why he's never won a title. Down late in the game with only 1 timeout we were running short passes in the middle of the field that chewed a lot of the clock. I really hope that was just a case of the Rams taking something away. But Reid has a LONG history of this type of stuff. So it did catch my attention. Hopefully it's not something that we see again. I will also add the red zone playcalling was something else that caught my eye. We ran back to back QB options both got blown up. This wouldn't trouble me as much if these were not things that have held Andy Reid coached teams back for years before he even got to KC. Changing the QB can do a lot of good. But it won't fix everything. A tad worried that we will see this sneak up in the post season. But overall he's been hitting the mark pretty well this year.

Those are my thoughts on the team. This has been a much better year then I thought it would be coming into it. I thought we might take a mini step back for a year while Mahomes got his feet wet in the league. But I'm glad to say that once again I was wrong. GO CHIEFS

brdempsey69
11-20-2018, 11:27 PM
Sitting at 9-2 right now, with the two losses by a combined total of 6 points, is WAY ahead of where I thought they would be before the season began. Biggest surprise was the win in Pittsburgh.

DEFENSE: Need to shore up the DB in the off-season. Don't know the status of Berry, except that if he can't run, he can't play. Pass rush is pretty good. Need to do a better job of stopping the run.

OFFENSE: BEST in Chiefs history. Need to run the ball a bit more & more effectively. O-Line injuries to LDT and Morse have hurt to some extent, as their replacements are inexperienced, but not a disaster by any means.

And Donkeys SUCK!!

Eydugstr
11-21-2018, 01:03 AM
At no point in time did I think we'd be 9-2 in the first eleven games. If anything figured we'd be around 6-5, a lot of TD's but also a lot more INT's.

There's really not much more that I can say that hasn't already been said. But one thing I've noticed, and it's really not talked about much, is that right now the NFL is going through a lot of change. When I watched the NE and Pittsburg games, remembered thinking guys like Brady, Rothlisberger, Brees, Rivers - How many more years are these guys going to play? What are those teams going to be like when they hang it up? And then thinking, we're just starting out with Mahomes.

NJChiefs
11-21-2018, 06:30 AM
Yes. We’re finally seeing mistakes from the chosen one. Which only means that we are not invincible. But the difference is this. Even if mistakes cause us to lose a game that we were expected to win, and say it costs us the home field, or even the division, this team can beat anyone, anywhere. Home field in my mind is far less important than it has been in any previous year. Can you imagine thinking we had any chance to go in as a wild card and beat New England or Pittsburgh on their field in the playoffs with an Alex Smith led team? And, even if we did by some travesty bail out early in the playoffs this year, it wouldn’t hurt as much, because now I KNOW we are going to win it all at some point before I die.

Coach
11-21-2018, 07:23 AM
Great posts. Agree completely that 9-2 far exceeded my expectations with the early season schedule that we had.

Positives: Mahomes, Hill, Kelce, Hunt, Dee Ford, Chris Jones
-Nothing needs to be said about this crew. They are all having Pro Bowl years.

Negatives: Eric Berry, Sammie Watkins, Bob Sutton
-Between Eric Berry and Sammie Watkins we have nearly $25mm in cap space tied up. Berry hasn’t practiced or taken a snap in months. There’s no way he’s in game shape. And it seems very unlikely he’ll contribute much of anything on the field this year. He may offer something as a player/coach/mentor but not enough to justify $14mm/yr. Watkins has been good, but not nearly worthy of his salary. The $25mm we wasted on those two players would have went a long way to patching up holes in our secondary. Watkins isn’t going anywhere but Eric Berry needs to be cut at the end of this season. We’re gonna need his salary to keep Tyreek Hill happy.

Bob Sutton- It’s a complete mystery to me. Andy Reid’s loyalty to Sutton has cost us our last two playoff losses. I fear it will cost us our 3rd this year. We may need Sutton to be pushed into retirement. There is no defending the product he’s putting on the field. They just lost a game where we scored more than 50 points. That’s the first time in NFL history that has ever happened. Sutton’s defense is setting all kinds of records this year, and none of them are good.

Overall, I’m thrilled with this team. Great chance to have a home playoff game and possibly a bye. That would be huge. But I’m most thrilled with Mahomes. It’s going to be fun for Chiefs fans for years to come. There’s a changing of the guard happening at QB in the NFL right now. I wouldn’t trade Mahomes for any player in the entire league. He’s been amazing.

brdempsey69
11-21-2018, 01:50 PM
I just checked and thus far, as a team, the Chiefs have scored 51 TD's this season. 37 of those are Mahomes TD passes. Amazing.

Chiefs4life24
11-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Now with the Ravens switching to Lamar Jackson at QB I truly am worried about that game he is a dynamic QB who can beat you with his arm and legs, he reminds me of Michael Vick we have to keep contain of Jackson and keep him in the pocket if we wanna have any hope of winning that game, or he will beat us with his legs. You guys are not worried enough

brdempsey69
11-27-2018, 01:26 PM
Now with the Ravens switching to Lamar Jackson at QB I truly am worried about that game he is a dynamic QB who can beat you with his arm and legs, he reminds me of Michael Vick we have to keep contain of Jackson and keep him in the pocket if we wanna have any hope of winning that game, or he will beat us with his legs. You guys are not worried enough

Actually, I am worried about that game, as the Ravens have never lost at Arrowhead. The Chiefs must win the other 4 contests.