PDA

View Full Version : Postgame VS Chargers coaching still matters

matthewschiefs
12-13-2018, 11:46 PM
This game is on the coaches PERIOD

All those things that I use to complain about with the playcalling showed up tonight. As I said in the game thread you can change all the QBS you want but playcalling is important.

Defense see any of my BOB Sutton rants

Chris Jones is a bright spot guy was a monster tonight. A hell of a game for him

This one is so freaking frustrating same things WE NEVER FREAKING LEARN same mistakes made over and over again. How many games do we have to blow over the years before our coaching staff fixes the crap

We kept them alive in the west we have to win out now to get the 1 seed thanks Andy

brdempsey69
12-13-2018, 11:51 PM
I hadn't said it before, but I will now. Get rid of Sutton. He cannot adjust & wasn't bringing the pressure on the Chargers last two TD drives.

Get some DB's in the off-season. Just load up in that area.

Schwartz picked the wrong time to have his worst game as a Chief. Can't blame Eric Fisher, as he did well against Bosa & the Chiefs should have run to his side on that last possession.

jason1981
12-14-2018, 12:01 AM
Only good thing is i think we saw a break out for Rb Williams tonight. Just as i was worried. We should have rested out some players. We lost anyways. Lucky no injuries.

Chiefs4life24
12-14-2018, 01:01 AM
All the writers and analyst are saying Their werent nearly as many noticeable poor plays by the Defense in the first half when Berry was out their compared to when he missed the whole 2nd half

brdempsey69
12-14-2018, 01:06 AM
All the writers and analyst are saying Their werent nearly as many noticeable poor plays by the Defense in the first half when Berry was out their compared to when he missed the whole 2nd half

Which begs the question: Why did he miss the entire 2nd half? Why wasn't he on the field for that last Chargers series?

I'll tell you this. This is like the 3rd or 4th Thursday night game that the Chiefs have lost to an AFC West rival going back to 2014. I never want to see a Thursday night game versus an AFC West rival, again.

matthewschiefs
12-14-2018, 01:39 AM
Over the years I have been accused of defending QB x to much.

This game is why. This game looks all to familiar.

Some of the same things happening for example 3rd down in the 2nd half. A pass to Kelce on a route that was short of the first down. This has been present many times in the past. The screens hey were working early. But the Chargers adjusted to it. And we kept running them and got nothing. Some of that was because of the O line struggling. But not all of it. It's been a pattern of sticking to the screens for much longer then they were working. The last offensive possession. We went far to conservative. They saw it coming and stuffed it. That was a major part of the L. And like the rest we have seen this before. Like I said in the game thread and in my first post here. You can change the QB all you want and sure it will improve some. But these things still matter. These things can hold even a franchise QB back at times. And until these things are no longer consistent issues I just don't believe that this coaching staff will ever win a title.

And on defense. We punted and backed them up inside their own 10. We rush 3 gave Rivers time to throw and he makes a throw to get them out of trouble. This happens ALL THE TIME. Our CBs might not be the best in the league but coaching is a major factor here.

This one took a lot out of me. I just see so much of the same mistakes that have cost this team so many times in the biggest games. I am going to have to see these things fixed before I really believe that this team is going to have any different of an ending then they have any other year.

brdempsey69
12-14-2018, 02:25 AM
One thing that bugs me, Matt, is after that long kickoff return, the horrendous play-calling that resulted in a 3 and out. What a wasted opportunity & it came back to bite them. Harris was said to have gotten held on the 3rd down play, but they didn't call it.

Sutton has to go. Hopefully, he resigns. We need a fresh new DC with a fresh new approach. And we need 3 taller CB's, 2 Safeties, and at least 1 run-stopping ILB in the off-season.

Chiefs4life24
12-14-2018, 10:11 AM
Sad thing is Demps I believe Sutton is going nowhere the Chiefs will foolishly retain him and do none of this other that you talked about instead they will load up on dlinemen in the draft

Smile
12-14-2018, 11:15 AM
Makes no difference how good OF is without DF I don't see KC winning play off.

brdempsey69
12-14-2018, 12:05 PM
Sad thing is Demps I believe Sutton is going nowhere the Chiefs will foolishly retain him and do none of this other that you talked about instead they will load up on dlinemen in the draft

As far as I know, everybody on the D-Line is slated to come back next year, so for them to load up on D-Line in the 2019 draft, is silly. WalterFootball.com projects the Chiefs to draft a CB, ILB, and a Safety with their top 3 picks and I hope he is right. And who knows about Berry next year.

As for Sutton, I hope he resigns on his own.

brdempsey69
12-14-2018, 12:56 PM
One thing I did notice. Jeff Allen did play well at LG & looked like he picked up right where he left off in 2015 working in tandem with Eric Fisher. The Chiefs need to retain him and let him keep the LG job. Erving can move to Center next year if Morse doesn't stay.

Ice24
12-14-2018, 01:18 PM
I hadn't said it before, but I will now. Get rid of Sutton. He cannot adjust & wasn't bringing the pressure on the Chargers last two TD drives.

Get some DB's in the off-season. Just load up in that area.

Schwartz picked the wrong time to have his worst game as a Chief. Can't blame Eric Fisher, as he did well against Bosa & the Chiefs should have run to his side on that last possession.

Nelson is horrible! Did you see him try to be a hero and get up and try to pick up a fumble instead of diving on the ball. He was in front of the Chargers receiver that fumbled the ball and closest to the ball but decided it would look better if he got up and ran, however, after he got up to his feet and before he could pick up the ball the Chargers receiver dove on the ball and regained possession.

brdempsey69
12-14-2018, 01:23 PM
Nelson is horrible! Did you see him try to be a hero and get up and try to pick up a fumble instead of diving on the ball. He was in front of the Chargers receiver that fumbled the ball and closest to the ball but decided it would look better if he got up and ran, however, after he got up to his feet and before he could pick up the ball the Chargers receiver dove on the ball and regained possession.

Nelson is not an outside CB & is strictly a nickel CB (Javier Arenas 2.0). Can't figure out why Terrence Mitchell was let go. This Defense needs taller CB's in the Sean Smith mold & the Chiefs better load up on them this off-season.

jason1981
12-14-2018, 02:46 PM
Well now we might lose our best cb for the season with a wrist fracture. As i was afraid of that we woukd lose and lose a player as well. This is why i was wanting to use this week to rest alot of starters. Our defense is bad enough and now we lose our best cb. Hope yall are happy. Sad to say i tild you so. We should have treated this as bye week in a sense and reat kwy players. Im not to worried of losing the top spot cuz chargers play ravens and broncos next and i think both teams could beat the chargers. So i think we can lose one more game and still get the top slot but i dont see us going all the way if fullers wrist puts him on IR. Ravens and chargers proved how to beat us. We proved we cant stop the run or pass and now will be without our best cb so teams will pkay keep away. They will run the ball and use play action oass and keep Mahomes off the field. Plus with it being winter wont help. So yeah i want to say it out loud i hate Thursday games. We not only lost the game but may have lost our best cb for the rest of the year.

Bike
12-14-2018, 02:55 PM
Which begs the question: Why did he miss the entire 2nd half? Why wasn't he on the field for that last Chargers series?

I'll tell you this. This is like the 3rd or 4th Thursday night game that the Chiefs have lost to an AFC West rival going back to 2014. I never want to see a Thursday night game versus an AFC West rival, again.
His "spirit" wasn't in it. That's what he said why he waited this long. Wasted roster spot.

Eydugstr
12-14-2018, 08:23 PM
It's been awhile since I've been that mad watching a Chiefs game. We had a golden opportunity to wrap up the division, and threw it out the window.

The secondary IMHO is the main reason why we lost. They stunk this one up really, really bad. Nelson, started the game off with an INT, turning his head looking for the ball, adjusted to it, and came up with a great play. After that, went back to grabbling the WR's, watching other people make tackles on RB's. Scandrick really messed up towards the end, grabbing the WR then turning around and complaining about being flagged. Then, right in front of 78k fans at Arrowhead, and the entire LAC offense, got into a discussion with another player about who he needed to cover. Note to Scandrick, when you do that, yes the ball is going to come your way, because it's obvious to everyone and Stevie Wonder that you don't know what you're doing. Ranks as one of the stupidest things I've seen this secondary do, which is saying something.

Sutton did himself no favors in this one. We have good pass rushers, and send them into coverage (again) ?? The secondary is determined to suck no matter how much help gets sent back there, so why bother? Far as I'm concerned send Houston, Ford and Jones after the QB every time from here on out, leave the secondary and ILB's to their fate.

brdempsey69
12-14-2018, 09:35 PM
It's been awhile since I've been that mad watching a Chiefs game. We had a golden opportunity to wrap up the division, and threw it out the window.

The secondary IMHO is the main reason why we lost. They stunk this one up really, really bad. Nelson, started the game off with an INT, turning his head looking for the ball, adjusted to it, and came up with a great play. After that, went back to grabbling the WR's, watching other people make tackles on RB's. Scandrick really messed up towards the end, grabbing the WR then turning around and complaining about being flagged. Then, right in front of 78k fans at Arrowhead, and the entire LAC offense, got into a discussion with another player about who he needed to cover. Note to Scandrick, when you do that, yes the ball is going to come your way, because it's obvious to everyone and Stevie Wonder that you don't know what you're doing. Ranks as one of the stupidest things I've seen this secondary do, which is saying something.

Sutton did himself no favors in this one. We have good pass rushers, and send them into coverage (again) ?? The secondary is determined to suck no matter how much help gets sent back there, so why bother? Far as I'm concerned send Houston, Ford and Jones after the QB every time from here on out, leave the secondary and ILB's to their fate.

Well said, and the sad thing is, if this team had ANY semblance of a Defense, then they would mostly likely be the overwhelming champions of the AFC. But, that won't happen because Sutton can't adapt or adjust & we rarely ever see any well-disguised blitzes from him.

He might as well send 5 or 6 guys attacking up the field on every play after the QB and tackle opposing RB's that get in the way, but he won't do it, as evidenced by when they had SD pinned inside their 5-yard line and they just sit back and let Rivers pick them apart.

Eydugstr
12-14-2018, 10:00 PM
Granted it wasn't all completely disappointment. The offense, up until the last drive, did pretty well. Mahomes took a page from Steve DeBerg's trick book and was getting them offsides a lot. Kelce was pretty solid. Both Williams (#26 & 31) looked just fine. Reid just went overboard conservative too early.

Also, for entertainment value, Phillip Rivers had one of his classic spastic fits towards the end of the game. Hadn't seen that happen in quite some time, always funny.

brdempsey69
12-15-2018, 04:24 AM
Granted it wasn't all completely disappointment. The offense, up until the last drive, did pretty well. Mahomes took a page from Steve DeBerg's trick book and was getting them offsides a lot. Kelce was pretty solid. Both Williams (#26 & 31) looked just fine. Reid just went overboard conservative too early.

Also, for entertainment value, Phillip Rivers had one of his classic spastic fits towards the end of the game. Hadn't seen that happen in quite some time, always funny.

I agree the Williams tandem did a fine job, but neither are the big-play threat that Hunt was. Hunt often turned good gains into bigger plays. The key factor is we haven't seen any of the Chiefs RB's produce 40 or 50 yard plays like Hunt did. The Offense just doesn't seem quite as explosive as they did in the first 11 games when Hunt was there.

Chiefs4life24
12-15-2018, 09:40 AM
I think the offense can be if they give undrafted free agent RB Darrel Williams more Shots

brdempsey69
12-15-2018, 03:19 PM
I think the offense can be if they give undrafted free agent RB Darrel Williams more Shots

I suspect that will be forthcoming next year. Plus, he's wearing a good jersey number -- #31, same as Priest Holmes. #27 has not been a good number over the years for Chiefs RB's. Woody Green, Greg Hill, Larry Johnson, and the latest, Kareem Hunt, who all had their moments, but it didn't last for very long.

Chiefs4life24
12-15-2018, 06:32 PM
Link courtesy of KCKingdom.com

I like the paragraph that reads from 3013-2016 Sutton likes to use man to man but the last two seasons he hasn't had the players to run the scheme properly.

https://kckingdom.com/2018/12/15/kansas-city-chiefs-its-time-for-bob-sutton-to-go/amp/

Smile
12-16-2018, 08:22 AM
I wonder why Andy not doing something about Sutton performance.

jason1981
12-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Im not sure if naking a change in middle of season would help.

Eydugstr
12-16-2018, 09:51 AM
I wonder why Andy not doing something about Sutton performance.

Think the better question is what CAN be done at this point?

After reading C4L's article, IMO the only option we really have is to turn up the pass rush, or keep our pass rushers closer to the LOS, instead of putting them into coverage. It might result in a lot more sacks, pressures and holding calls. But then again it might result in a lot more defensive PI calls because our secondary would get caught holding someone 6 yards past the LOS, because nobody wants to turn around and look for the ball.

While I don't see Reid firing Sutton during the season, if it does happen imagine Reid will do it in the offseason.

I've stuck up for Sutton before in the past, and still believe that the front office screwed him from word go by not stocking the D with talent. We lost DJ, and given the guy's age and injury list, the front office should've seen that coming, but didn't address that. Then the situation with Marcus Peters blows up, and they trade him off, but replaced him with a slot corner (Fuller) and called it good? Can you imagine some of the things that are said in the coaches film room while watching Nelson, Scandrick, Murray and Parker? What's it like to explain to the boss that the safety he's invested millions into isn't playing, week after week after week?

But at some point, you've got to play the hand you've dealt. If Sutton's making adjustments it's not showing up in the results or replays. IMO let our pass rushers do what they're good at, and while we still have two games in the season left, get Lucas on the field more and get some more experience. If Berry can come back, fine, we've spent the money and if it helps communication in the secondary, keep him out there.

jason1981
12-16-2018, 01:58 PM
I think sutton's defense henges on atleast one good corner to take away one side of the field. Also henges on good safeties but i think not having one shut down corner is hurting him more. Also the lack of ability to tackle.

Chiefs4life24
12-16-2018, 07:38 PM
Sutton must go or i think fans will revotl no ans ifs or butts about it

jason1981
12-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Sutton must go or i think fans will revotl no ans ifs or butts about it

Well its very doubtful he will fire sutton during the season. I think Sutton retires after the year so Reid doesnt have to fire him. To be fair im not sure any defensive coordinator coukd win with the cb and s we have on the team. They might be a lil better but im just bot sure how much. But also Andy Reid coukd help by keeping the offense in a shootout mode and do some hurry up no huddle especially when you have the defenseive group on the field that you like. Like when their star cb goes off for a play for any reason go for the kill shot. Iv seen so many times a star defense pkayer go down for s okay and Andy doesnt even try to take advantage of it.

Chiefs4life24
12-16-2018, 08:06 PM
what will you guys do if Sutton is retained for next season?

brdempsey69
12-16-2018, 10:37 PM

Kiss any SB hopes, goodbye.

TopekaRoy
12-17-2018, 12:19 AM
This year I have tended to put most of the blame on the defensive players rather than Sutton. Lots of sloppy tackling, missed assignments, pass interference penalties and players being out of position--mostly because of the need to gang tackle to bring down a player. But this defense does have some talent. There is no way they should be this bad. Ultimately, Sutton is responsible for the performance of the defense and for not putting the limited talent he does have in the best position to win.

You can't fire the entire defense so my guess is that Sutton will "resign" at the end of the season. There are personnel issues to be sure and key injuries haven't helped, but we need a new coach, new players at the key positions that BRDempsey has mentioned ... and a new "attitude." Our offense is still relatively young so if the defense could just be at least middle of the pack, we can be Super Bowl contenders for years to come.

brdempsey69
12-17-2018, 01:12 AM
I've looked it up & the Chiefs have lost 4 out of 5 Thursday night games against AFC West opponents going back to 2014. Thankfully, there won't be any more Thursday night games this season.

The Chiefs will have had 10 days to get ready for their game at Seattle & there is no reason for them not to be ready to give an all-out effort. The season final at KC against the Raiders is certainly winnable. And then on to the playoffs.

As for Sutton, he has to go & hopefully retires. And we need at least 3 CB's and 2 Safeties via the draft & FA in this coming off-season.

Chiefs4life24
12-17-2018, 06:19 AM
Todd Mcshay has us drafting a DE in the first round

Eydugstr
12-17-2018, 08:47 AM

Watch other teams win Chiefs games. j/k

Hopefully it'll be a process where he gets one more season with a lot of different players and if it doesn't work out still, then gone.

brdempsey69
12-17-2018, 01:12 PM
Todd Mcshay has us drafting a DE in the first round

I like men in trenches as much as anybody, but that would be a mistake. The Chiefs desperately need DB's this next off-season.