PDA

View Full Version : Sutton is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

matthewschiefs
01-22-2019, 02:46 PM
It's about freaking time. Should have been done a year ago

https://www.chiefs.com/news/bob-sutton-relieved-of-defensive-coordinator-duties

jason1981
01-22-2019, 02:51 PM
Yes finally. Though il be honest im nervous about who they hire to replace him. I dont know whos left out there thats any good. Also need someone that has a system that fits our personel. A 3-4 attacking style man to man scheme. Il he extremely nervous if it someone from within they promote.

brdempsey69
01-22-2019, 02:51 PM
Next thing I want to see is that EB is also gone. Time to retool & move on.

But, thank goodness for this move.

jason1981
01-22-2019, 02:56 PM
Also Andy Reid has a terrible track record of hiring D.C. thats also what hurt im in philly.

brdempsey69
01-22-2019, 03:00 PM
Also Andy Reid has a terrible track record of hiring D.C. thats also what hurt im in philly.

He needs to hit a home run this time. Veach needs to step in & assist Reid in this matter.

matthewschiefs
01-22-2019, 03:04 PM
He needs to hit a home run this time. Veach needs to step in & assist Reid in this matter.

I don't think Veach will get a say in this. The coach usually has complete control of the coaching staff.

matthewschiefs
01-22-2019, 03:06 PM
ESPNs Adam Schefter is saying that Rex Ryan is a real possibility as the replacement

jason1981
01-22-2019, 03:08 PM
ESPNs Adam Schefter is saying that Rex Ryan is a real possibility as the replacement

I just read that and you beat me to it.

YES that would be a great choice. Our players fit his system. Also bob sutton came from rex ryan. Also he knows the pats well. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brdempsey69
01-22-2019, 03:09 PM

That's interesting. Rex Ryan is somebody that I had not thought about. I'm willing to give him a chance, as he can't be any worse than what Sutton was.

Rex will need press-cover CB's for his Defense to be really effective, so the Chiefs will have to make it a priority in the draft & FA.

jason1981
01-22-2019, 03:15 PM
That's interesting. Rex Ryan is somebody that I had not thought about. I'm willing to give him a chance, as he can't be any worse than what Sutton was.

Rex will need press-cover CB's for his Defense to be really effective, so the Chiefs will have to make it a priority in the draft & FA.

Thats the style i like. Also he knows the Pats well. Im suprised hes not a D.C. already. Didnt realize he was available. Also bob sutton needed press corners as well. Bob sutton coached under rex ryan and they have similar styles. But lwts hipe rex knows how to make adjustments in game

matthewschiefs
01-22-2019, 03:16 PM
With how young our D is I don't think we are going to be seeing a big overhaul in the talent.

It's going to be interesting to see the Chiefs D next year. We will see just how much it was Sutton holding them back.

matthewschiefs
01-22-2019, 03:22 PM
If you look at Steven Nelson's twitter it doesn't seem like he's going to miss Sutton

https://twitter.com/Nelson_Island

Seek
01-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Why Rex Ryan? Bob Sutton's system didn't fit these players, why will they fit un Rex Ryan? We need a creative DC that can be proactive to defend RPO spread offense the NFL is trending to. Not another old has been running a stale defense.

jason1981
01-22-2019, 04:24 PM
Why Rex Ryan? Bob Sutton's system didn't fit these players, why will they fit un Rex Ryan? We need a creative DC that can be proactive to defend RPO spread offense the NFL is trending to. Not another old has been running a stale defense.

Pete sweeney likes our olb coach mike smith to be D.C. i just want someone that has a proven track record. Its not the time to gamble.

TopekaRoy
01-22-2019, 04:59 PM
Wow! They didn't sit on this decision very long, did they? We all knew it was coming, but I didn't think it would happen this quick.

I wonder how much this move was based on them knowing that Sutton was not the right coach for these players and how much of it was just a public relations move to appease the fans? The answer to that question, that is, how much do they blame him and how much do they blame the players, will go a long way toward determining how they proceed from here.

I have always liked Rex Ryan, but I don't know how his coaching style fits our team. Since we can't have Buddy Ryan, Rex seems as good a choice as any other out there.

Seek
01-22-2019, 05:48 PM
Wow! They didn't sit on this decision very long, did they? We all knew it was coming, but I didn't think it would happen this quick.

I wonder how much this move was based on them knowing that Sutton was not the right coach for these players and how much of it was just a public relations move to appease the fans? The answer to that question, that is, how much do they blame him and how much do they blame the players, will go a long way toward determining how they proceed from here.

I have always liked Rex Ryan, but I don't know how his coaching style fits our team. Since we can't have Buddy Ryan, Rex seems as good a choice as any other out there.

I think this writing was on the wall when Andy supposedly made the executive decision to sit Scandrick and Parker in favor of Lucas and Ward. "Speculation from the local talking heads" suggested Sutton preferred Veterans over rookies which is why Lucas was pulled after Murray returned.

chiefnutz
01-22-2019, 05:55 PM
We can wonder if this firing came from higher up or was it Andy? Either way Man I'm glad he's gone. I think Ryan would be a good hire.

matthewschiefs
01-22-2019, 07:49 PM

It's possible Ryan could do a better job at making the needed adjustments.

I said this throughout the year. The defense actually most the time really would start out games well. The other team would adjust and Sutton just couldn't make an adjustment to save his freaking life.

That's why I think it is a coaching issue more than a talent issue. It was the same talent that started the games off well on defense. They suddenly didn't just pull all the guys for the rest of games. I am excited to see what a new DC could do even with the guys that we have.

Chiefs4life24
01-22-2019, 07:55 PM
Watching Fuller, Williams and Hitchens somehow play worse than they did then on there previous teams is disapointing, Fuller (Somewhat), Williams (Regularly) and Hitchens (A lot)

matthewschiefs
01-22-2019, 07:59 PM
Watching Fuller, Williams and Hitchens somehow play worse than they did then on there previous teams is disapointing, Fuller (Somewhat), Williams (Regularly) and Hitchens (A lot)

Maybe now that Sutton is gone this is a positive.

I said this a few weeks ago that these guys had shown that they are better players then what they played this year. I highly doubt that all of them suddenly forgot how to play the game of football. COACHING. THIS ALL POINTS TO COACHING.

I may be starting to get excited again for this team going forward LOL

jason1981
01-22-2019, 08:07 PM

I said this a few weeks ago that these guys had shown that they are better players then what they played this year. I highly doubt that all of them suddenly forgot how to play the game of football. COACHING. THIS ALL POINTS TO COACHING.

Oh there is tons of reasons to be excited the only thing is we have to wait a while year til super bowl time. Its the waiting til next season thats going to suck. But yes there is tons to be excited about.

Im just nervous about who we will hire as DC. I like Rex Ryan but someone mentioned that he been out of playing calls and that he might not be creative that we need and that worries me. I think hes luke sutton thatvhe just lines up and okays doesnt try to disguise coverages or adapt. I dont know but rex makes me nervous to. Rumors about college coaches but they have no nfl experience. If qe had one shutdown corner that woukd help any system that a coach brings.

I dont think qe have personnel for a 4-3 and i like 3-4 more.

I dont think we even have linebackers at all for a 4-3.

Eydugstr
01-22-2019, 09:38 PM

But...but...but...I thought you said you LOVED Sutton...

Well, Reid made up his mind pretty quick on the DC. Granted, Sutton is the first step to really changing this D around and forcing our opponents to make changes, too...I'm curious to see what the front office provides the new DC with, talent-wise. If it's Nelson, Scandrick and Parker...expect them to play like Nelson, Scandrick and Parker. Know that Parker is gone, but just using that as an example.

I'm not 100% on Rex Ryan. He's spent a lot of time working with the Ravens D, but after two really good years with the Jets it all went downhill from there. While he's had a lot of experience playing against the Patriots, how much of that has ended well for him? Also, look at some of the draft choices he's been involved with - Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith - keep in mind it's very likely we'll be using his input on the guys he wants for the D, if we take him as DC.

matthewschiefs
01-22-2019, 09:45 PM
But...but...but...I thought you said you LOVED Sutton...

I have no idea what you're talking about. My account was hacked. I hope you get banned. :lol:

Well, Reid made up his mind pretty quick on the DC. Granted, Sutton is the first step to really changing this D around and forcing our opponents to make changes, too...I'm curious to see what the front office provides the new DC with, talent-wise. If it's Nelson, Scandrick and Parker...expect them to play like Nelson, Scandrick and Parker. Know that Parker is gone, but just using that as an example.

I'm not 100% on Rex Ryan. He's spent a lot of time working with the Ravens D, but after two really good years with the Jets it all went downhill from there. While he's had a lot of experience playing against the Patriots, how much of that has ended well for him? Also, look at some of the draft choices he's been involved with - Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith - keep in mind it's very likely we'll be using his input on the guys he wants for the D, if we take him as DC.

I don't think we have the cap room to do much talent wise. But I really don't think we need a complete overhaul now that Sutton is gone. I say again it was the same talent that would get off to good starts more often then not. They just weren't getting the coaching they needed. I really feel that was what made them look so bad.

matthewschiefs
01-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Some numbers that speak that the talent on this defense is not as bad as Sutton made them look
Regular season numbers
1st quarter they gave up 56 total points that's an average of just 3.5 points

4th quarter they gave up 136 total points that's an average of 8.5 points more than double

The same talent was on the field. Sutton just didn't adjust. Or at least didn't make the correct adjustments.

Eydugstr
01-22-2019, 10:16 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about. My account was hacked. I hope you get banned. :lol:

Sheesh it took an entire six-pack and thirty minutes to figure out your password was the same as your luggage. Can't anyone appreciate my efforts?

I don't think we have the cap room to do much talent wise. But I really don't think we need a complete overhaul now that Sutton is gone. I say again it was the same talent that would get off to good starts more often then not. They just weren't getting the coaching they needed. I really feel that was what made them look so bad.

Don't think we'll be signing a whole lot of free agents but will be heading towards the draft to reload the D. While I don't have any problem with our front seven it's our secondary that really needs a serious makeover. Changing the DC was a good start but we can't end it there and call it good.

matthewschiefs
01-22-2019, 10:31 PM
Sheesh it took an entire six-pack and thirty minutes to figure out your password was the same as your luggage. Can't anyone appreciate my efforts?

You really had to say this out loud. Great now everyone is going to be hacking my account to make me sound stupid thanks a lot

Don't think we'll be signing a whole lot of free agents but will be heading towards the draft to reload the D. While I don't have any problem with our front seven it's our secondary that really needs a serious makeover. Changing the DC was a good start but we can't end it there and call it good.

I fully expect them to make some moves. Also, keep in mind they already made a big change in going with Ward instead of Sandrick. That's already a start as Sandrick was terrible. I watched him in person make Lamar Jackson look like he could throw the ball. I think they need to draft another CB and LB who can hopefully help improve the run D.

jason1981
01-22-2019, 11:02 PM
I kinda like this guy

Chris Hewitt - secondary coach,*Baltimore Ravens

A seventh-year coach for the Ravens, Hewitt has been the secondary coach for arguably the NFL’s top passing defense in the league for the last two years. Previously serving as their defensive backs coach, Hewitt has helped turn the Ravens secondary into a ball-hawking, stifling group.

Running a multitude of coverage shells, Hewitt’s attacking, aggressive style with a secondary group lacking top-end talent has been able to keep offenses on their toes and support a blitz-heavy front.

Likely running an aggressive, shifting defense, Hewitt would be a bold hire. Reid would certainly be counting on his ability to install a complex scheme and maximize personnel as a defensive coordinator. If that risk ended up paying off, there is high-end potential for a Hewitt-led stop unit.

Eydugstr
01-22-2019, 11:31 PM
I kinda like this guy

Chris Hewitt - secondary coach,*Baltimore Ravens

A seventh-year coach for the Ravens, Hewitt has been the secondary coach for arguably the NFL’s top passing defense in the league for the last two years. Previously serving as their defensive backs coach, Hewitt has helped turn the Ravens secondary into a ball-hawking, stifling group.

Running a multitude of coverage shells, Hewitt’s attacking, aggressive style with a secondary group lacking top-end talent has been able to keep offenses on their toes and support a blitz-heavy front.

Likely running an aggressive, shifting defense, Hewitt would be a bold hire. Reid would certainly be counting on his ability to install a complex scheme and maximize personnel as a defensive coordinator. If that risk ended up paying off, there is high-end potential for a Hewitt-led stop unit.

Does he have any ties with Reid or Veach?

Bike
01-22-2019, 11:44 PM
We need 2 inside linebackers, 2 safeties, and 2 corners.

jason1981
01-23-2019, 12:54 AM
Does he have any ties with Reid or Veach?

I dont think he does. I say i like him cuz i like the ravens style of defense. Remember they play alot of cover zero. Alot of pressure.

jason1981
01-23-2019, 12:55 AM
We need 2 inside linebackers, 2 safeties, and 2 corners.

I hope that thats all we pick. Draft heavy at those positions

TopekaRoy
01-23-2019, 08:17 AM
Why Rex Ryan?...

Also Ryan wasn't a great head coach but he is generally recognized by most as a very good Defensive Coordinator. His father, Buddy Ryan coached the best NFL defense of all time - the '85 Bears. Much like Mahomes had the advantage of growing up with a father who was a professional athlete, he grew up watching and learning from a father who truly understood that defense wins championships.

The fact that his defensive scheme would be somewhat similar to Sutton's is actually a huge advantage. The learning curve for the players would be greatly reduced and he wouldn't have to make as many major roster changes to implement it. He doesn't have to replace the offense; he just has to repair it.

Bike
01-23-2019, 10:21 AM
Please no Rex Ryan. Need somebody young and hungry. Somebody that can relate to the players. Reid likes to promote from within.
Emmitt Thomas too old. Please no.
Maybe Mike Smith or Al Harris.
Please Andy - please do not take this opportunity to promote your son. Although I can see this happening.
Also Steve Spagnoulo came from Reid coaching tree, but he is 4-3...

jason1981
01-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Pff is reporting that steve spagnuolo is the favorite. I believe hes a 4-3 guy. Thisbis why i dont trust reid. Instead of going with a system that we have the personnel for he wants to through it all out. Also steve likes undersized dline.

Bike
01-23-2019, 11:08 AM
The system we have now isn't stopping the run anyway...

Seek
01-23-2019, 12:32 PM
It's possible Ryan could do a better job at making the needed adjustments.

I said this throughout the year. The defense actually most the time really would start out games well. The other team would adjust and Sutton just couldn't make an adjustment to save his freaking life.

That's why I think it is a coaching issue more than a talent issue. It was the same talent that started the games off well on defense. They suddenly didn't just pull all the guys for the rest of games. I am excited to see what a new DC could do even with the guys that we have.

He is a head case with an ego that attracts tons of attention. To me, he is the same as Todd Hailey on Defense. Please pass!

Seek
01-23-2019, 12:34 PM
Pff is reporting that steve spagnuolo is the favorite. I believe hes a 4-3 guy. Thisbis why i dont trust reid. Instead of going with a system that we have the personnel for he wants to through it all out. Also steve likes undersized dline.

right now, I trust no leads. The Chiefs usually are good about hiding what they are really doing. I think reporters are throwing names out there for the coaches to get attention of the teams.

brdempsey69
01-23-2019, 01:35 PM
We need a DC to come in and be able to work with what we have. Kind of like what Gunther Cunningham was able to do in the mid-90's. Those Defenses in both '95 and '97 were very good.

brdempsey69
01-23-2019, 02:36 PM
The more I research possible candidates, the more I like Chris Hewitt. Andy Reid is very familiar with him & he could work with what we already have, as well as implement a few wrinkles from the Ravens defensive scheme. Of course, we will need to get him some DB's in the draft and FA.

Seek
01-23-2019, 03:55 PM
The more I research possible candidates, the more I like Chris Hewitt. Andy Reid is very familiar with him & he could work with what we already have, as well as implement a few wrinkles from the Ravens defensive scheme. Of course, we will need to get him some DB's in the draft and FA.

I did some research as well and like Chris Hewitt also. I also like Kris Richards from the Cow Pies. However, think he may be looking for a HC gig.

brdempsey69
01-23-2019, 04:41 PM
Getting back to Sutton, if you look at the Pats Offensive numbers in the AFCG, it is just dreadful.

They ran 94 Offensive plays, had 36 first-downs, were 13 for 19 on 3rd down conversions, and gained 524 total Offensive yards (248 passing and 176 rushing).

The numbers don't lie & clearly show that Sutton had NO plan whatsoever coming into this game to take away anything, and the Pats just did whatever they wanted to do. The Chiefs were awful lucky to get that end-zone INT from Ragland in the 1st half.

jason1981
01-23-2019, 04:52 PM
I was listening to 610 and they're right. This hire is the most important hire of his career. Baswd on who he hites will show how serious he is. Will he give it to a buddy like spanguolo or ryan or will he be agressive and go bold for a guy he doesn't know like ravens secondary coach.

brdempsey69
01-23-2019, 05:01 PM
I was listening to 610 and they're right. This hire is the most important hire of his career. Baswd on who he hites will show how serious he is. Will he give it to a buddy like spanguolo or ryan or will he be agressive and go bold for a guy he doesn't know like ravens secondary coach.

Actually, Andy Reid does have some familiarity and ties with the Ravens secondary coach Chris Hewitt. The more that you research and study this, the more that you'll see that Chris Hewitt rises to the top as the best potential DC candidate.

Seek
01-23-2019, 05:22 PM
Getting back to Sutton, if you look at the Pats Offensive numbers in the AFCG, it is just dreadful.

They ran 94 Offensive plays, had 36 first-downs, were 13 for 19 on 3rd down conversions, and gained 524 total Offensive yards (248 passing and 176 rushing).

The numbers don't lie & clearly show that Sutton had NO plan whatsoever coming into this game to take away anything, and the Pats just did whatever they wanted to do. The Chiefs were awful lucky to get that end-zone INT from Ragland in the 1st half.

I saw a little kid behind a curtain calling plays on a Madden video, streaming the play call to Suttons call sheet.

At one point in time in a goal line stance we lined up in a punt block formation.

jason1981
01-23-2019, 05:33 PM
Actually, Andy Reid does have some familiarity and ties with the Ravens secondary coach Chris Hewitt. The more that you research and study this, the more that you'll see that Chris Hewitt rises to the top as the best potential DC candidate.

I wish there was a sign that Reid was looking to interview him. I cant stand this tight lip stuff. Lol there's no rumors about interviews ornanything.or anything

brdempsey69
01-23-2019, 05:41 PM
I saw a little kid behind a curtain calling plays on a Madden video, streaming the play call to Suttons call sheet.

At one point in time in a goal line stance we lined up in a punt block formation.

Which is exactly my point. It was just too stinking easy for the Pats, which should never be the case in an AFCG.

I wish there was a sign that Reid was looking to interview him. I cant stand this tight lip stuff. Lol there's no rumors about interviews ornanything.or anything

I feel the same way & you were right about what you posted earlier and what they said on 610 radio. Andy Reid must make the right choice on this new DC hire.

brdempsey69
01-23-2019, 06:07 PM
You cannot ignore the obvious, that Sutton continually ignored. Going into this game, Sutton'e primary concern should have been containing & slowing down Edelman in obvious passing situations. Instead, he did absolutely NOTHING except let Edelman run free & continually make critical catches in 3rd down situations.

brdempsey69
01-24-2019, 01:35 PM
I don't know how true this is, but what you see in the pic below is VERY plausible.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1164&stc=1

jason1981
01-24-2019, 03:08 PM
I don't know how true this is, but what you see in the pic below is VERY plausible.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1164&stc=1

I love Mahomes fire. He has a right to be pissed and should be. He should demand accountability on everyone around him including coaches.

brdempsey69
01-24-2019, 03:54 PM
I love Mahomes fire. He has a right to be pissed and should be. He should demand accountability on everyone around him including coaches.

Quite correct, as Mahomes had the Chiefs in position to win every single game that they played this season -- something that has never happened before. And he has admitted his own failures before the media, but nobody can get around the fact that Mahomes brought a LOT more good than bad.

I just wish that somebody in the Chiefs organization would have the balls to step up and hold that 13+ million dollar a year sandbag that wears #29 accountable and step to the forefront and say "Berry has got to go". Nobody ever stops to consider that if Berry had been allowed to walk after 2016, that no other team out there would have paid him that contract that the Chiefs gave him. Berry should have been offered no more than 7 million a season & told "take it or leave it".