PDA

View Full Version : The new DC

matthewschiefs
01-24-2019, 05:36 PM
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1088564261704683521

Mike Garafolo‏Verified account @MikeGarafolo (https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo)FollowFollow
@MikeGarafolo

More

The #Chiefs (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash) are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Giants?src=hash) DC and interim HC/#Rams (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rams?src=hash) HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Eagles?src=hash) assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

brdempsey69
01-24-2019, 05:41 PM
I'm skeptical about this guy. He seems WAY too system-oriented just like Bob Sutton.

Seek
01-24-2019, 05:50 PM
I'm skeptical about this guy. He seems WAY too system-oriented just like Bob Sutton.

I dont Iike it. he went with a friend over talent

jason1981
01-24-2019, 06:00 PM

Yea i dont like it either. Reid hasnt learned from his past mistakes. This hire defines his legacy. Also this just wasted our past 2 years of drafting cuz now we will be switching to 4-3 defense. We have no olb or end for a 4-3 defense. Kpass, speaks, dee ford, houston, watts, oDaniel all useless in a 4-3 defense. Allen bailey is not 4-3 end and dont see him moving inside either. I think chris jones will be the penetrating DT.

brdempsey69
01-24-2019, 06:01 PM

He also runs a 4-3 scheme, but the big question is who are the LB's going to be? Especially at MLB, where you need a Dick Butkus-Willie Lanier-Jack Lambert-Mike Singletary-Brian Urlacher type of player.

Although, I do think that Speaks and Kpass will fare better in a 4-3 scheme, but this may very well leave Ford and Houston on the out in the cold. Ford may very well get his walking papers.

Yea i dont like it either. Reid hasnt learned from his past mistakes. This hire defines his legacy. Also this just wasted our past 2 years of drafting cuz now we will be switching to 4-3 defense. We have no olb or end for a 4-3 defense. Kpass, speaks, dee ford, houston, watts, oDaniel all useless in a 4-3 defense. Allen bailey is not 4-3 end and dont see him moving inside either. I think chris jones will be the penetrating DT.

I'm not so sure about O'Daniel and Watts being useless. O'Daniel would have possibilities as the ROLB. KPass and Speaks do have possibilities as a 4-3 DE.

jason1981
01-24-2019, 06:14 PM
He also runs a 4-3 scheme, but the big question is who are the LB's going to be? Especially at MLB, where you need a Dick Butkus-Willie Lanier-Jack Lambert-Mike Singletary-Brian Urlacher type of player.

Although, I do think that Speaks and Kpass will fare better in a 4-3 scheme, but this may very well leave Ford and Houston on the out in the cold. Ford may very well get his walking papers.

I'm not so sure about O'Daniel and Watts being useless. O'Daniel would have possibilities as the ROLB. KPass and Speaks do have possibilities as a 4-3 DE.

The only reason im not sure your right or not its reported spunguolo likes undersized D linemen

brdempsey69
01-24-2019, 06:16 PM
Many have already posted that we are replacing Sutton with Sutton (Spags). Time will tell.

Regardless, the Chiefs need DB's......BAD !!

matthewschiefs
01-24-2019, 06:18 PM
If Spagnuolo can just adjust in game that alone will make the d much better.

I mentioned in the Sutton thread how this D with the talent that they have started games really well. They actually started out games slightly better then the Ravens D. The Chiefs average 3.5 points against in the first the Ravens a little over 4. THE SAME TALENT was on the field. Adjustments are the key.

I don't love the hire myself but am hopeful he can do what Sutton couldn't or refused to do adjust in game

brdempsey69
01-24-2019, 06:21 PM
If Spagnuolo can just adjust in game that alone will make the d much better.

I mentioned in the Sutton thread how this D with the talent that they have started games really well. They actually started out games slightly better then the Ravens D. The Chiefs average 3.5 points against in the first the Ravens a little over 4. THE SAME TALENT was on the field. Adjustments are the key.

I don't love the hire myself but am hopeful he can do what Sutton couldn't or refused to do adjust in game

That is most certainly the MOST critical thing right there. Adjust and GAME PLAN against your opponent, which Sutton did NOT do.

TopekaRoy
01-24-2019, 06:57 PM
It doesn't take a lot to convert a 3-4 into a 4-3 defense, although I understand there are many differences beyond just moving one linebacker up to the line of scrimmage. Most 3-4 defenses run quite a bit of 4-3 fronts anyway, so I think we could make the transition. Is there any possibility that Spags would actually tailor his offense to his personnel and run a 3-4 defense at least for a transition period?

At any rate he has to be better than Sutton and we almost made it to the Super Bowl with Sutton so it wouldn't take much to get us over the hump.

He just has to be better, right? RIGHT!?

brdempsey69
01-24-2019, 07:09 PM
It doesn't take a lot to convert a 3-4 into a 4-3 defense, although I understand there are many differences beyond just moving one linebacker up to the line of scrimmage. Most 3-4 defenses run quite a bit of 4-3 fronts anyway, so I think we could make the transition. Is there any possibility that Spags would actually tailor his offense to his personnel and run a 3-4 defense at least for a transition period?

At any rate he has to be better than Sutton and we almost made it to the Super Bowl with Sutton so it wouldn't take much to get us over the hump.

He just has to be better, right? RIGHT!?

We know he can't do any WORSE. Plus, there is the draft and FA to shore up the Defensive backfield.

jason1981
01-24-2019, 07:31 PM
We know he can't do any WORSE. Plus, there is the draft and FA to shore up the Defensive backfield.

Well if we can just get to be around the 2pth defense i think would make us a lock for the S.D. for the next 3 years. Lock if they okay to their potential not that it will be given.

TopekaRoy
01-24-2019, 07:35 PM
Well if we can just get to be around the 20th defense I think that would make us a lock for the S.B. for the next 3 years. Lock if they play to their potential; not that it will be a given.

I fixed it for you. :lol:

brdempsey69
01-24-2019, 07:37 PM
Well if we can just get to be around the 2pth defense i think would make us a lock for the S.D. for the next 3 years. Lock if they okay to their potential not that it will be given.

My biggest fear is that this may have come 1 year too late. This move should have been made last off-season. We'll just have to wait and see how this works out.

matthewschiefs
01-24-2019, 07:46 PM
It is now officially official

https://www.chiefs.com/news/chiefs-hire-steve-spagnuolo-as-defensive-coordinator

jason1981
01-24-2019, 07:53 PM
My biggest fear is that this may have come 1 year too late. This move should have been made last off-season. We'll just have to wait and see how this works out.

Yeah its always the sooner the better if you make changes. If not you hurt youself by drafting players that wont fit your system in a year.

jason1981
01-24-2019, 08:16 PM
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2019/1/24/18196643/the-4-3-under-how-the-chiefs-current-personnel-fits?utm_campaign=arrowheadpride&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Good read about winners and losers and who fits where in spungulol scheme. I really hope kpass wasnt not. Wasted pick and maybe find a spot. But this articles gives me hope honestly.

brdempsey69
01-24-2019, 09:55 PM
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/platform/amp/2019/1/24/18196643/the-4-3-under-how-the-chiefs-current-personnel-fits?utm_campaign=arrowheadpride&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Good read about winners and losers and who fits where in spungulol scheme. I really hope kpass wasnt not. Wasted pick and maybe find a spot. But this articles gives me hope honestly.

Over there, I read about the hiring & a Giants fan chimed in and had this to say:

Giants fan chiming in here
I wouldn’t be too worried about this hire. The Giants teams he was on where the defense was terrible had a lot more to do with the complete lack of talent on the field.
I say on the field b/c the Giants had the dubious distinction of being the most injured team in football for years on end. It was games lost by scrubs either. It was players like Jason Pierre-Paul blowing off 40% of his hand.
What Spags brings to the table is a tough aggressive defense. When you’re devoid of talent that will cost you big plays. But even at his worst Spags will figure out a way to get to the QB.
I didn’t watch many KC games this past year. But this past week I can tell you right off the bat Brady would have been seeing a lot of man coverage, help rolled to Gronk and blitzes up the middle.
He’s not going to instantly turn KC into a top 5 defense, but if you get ahead of teams it’s gonna get ugly for the opposing qb this year.
Also, while he started under Reid, he’s spent more time under Coughlin, so take that for what it’s worth.
Hope you find this useful and f the Pats next week.

Posted by Madhops (https://www.sbnation.com/users/Madhops) on Jan 24, 2019 | 6:13 PM (https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/24/18196538/breaking-chiefs-hiring-steve-spagnuolo-as-defensive-coordinator-per-report#501975231)

Have to wait & see about Kpass.

Eydugstr
01-24-2019, 10:58 PM
Sorry not onboard with this one. Do not like the idea of going back to a 4-3. Strikes me as Reid hiring a buddy instead of seriously vetting a DC.

brdempsey69
01-24-2019, 11:12 PM
Sorry not onboard with this one. Do not like the idea of going back to a 4-3. Strikes me as Reid hiring a buddy instead of seriously vetting a DC.

Well, the last time Reid didn't hire a buddy & vetted a DC, guess who that was? Bob Sutton.

Spags, at least, is known for creative blitz packages & being able to disguise them. As for a 4-3, they do have some people to make it work. Hitchens will probably be your MLB, as he was in Dallas. We'll have to see about Speaks and Kpass. The DT's are already there in Jones, Williams, and Nnadi. O'Daniel would be the likely candidate for ROLB. Ragland can probably scratch it.

No matter who the DC hire was, we all know that we need defense, defense, defense in the draft and FA.

Chiefs4life24
01-24-2019, 11:36 PM
Man this hire is gonna be awesome. As soon as he steps on the field to coach we are instantly 100% better. And the 4 - 3 is gonna be awesome to watch it's amazing to think we already have the personnel for this on the team and damn good players when they were in the 4 - 3 too. The line would consist of Bailey, Jones, Williams or Nnadi and Ford

Linebackers would be Ragland, Hitchens and Houston in that order. Hitchens would be the MLB like he was in Dallas and he was awesome at in there 4 - 3 MLB role.

brdempsey69
01-25-2019, 01:48 AM
Man this hire is gonna be awesome. As soon as he steps on the field to coach we are instantly 100% better. And the 4 - 3 is gonna be awesome to watch it's amazing to think we already have the personnel for this on the team and damn good players when they were in the 4 - 3 too. The line would consist of Bailey, Jones, Williams or Nnadi and Ford

Linebackers would be Ragland, Hitchens and Houston in that order. Hitchens would be the MLB like he was in Dallas and he was awesome at in there 4 - 3 MLB role.

I've seen a lot of people dissing this hire. I say give the man a chance & see what happens.

jason1981
01-25-2019, 01:48 AM

Um you're wrong one players. It be

speaks,ndai, jones,ford
Houston. Hitchens. Odaniel

Ragland qould be the loser out. Also Kpass might i think would take Fords spot if we dont resign him. If jot he qould be a loser as well. I like Kpass more than speaks but i dont think kpass is strong as speaks to take strong aide De that has to be more tun stopping.

Read this. Also not sure where bailey fits in. I might like him nore than speaks now thinking avout it at de

Seek
01-25-2019, 09:55 AM
I am starting to think Brett Veach was preparing for this change with the draft last year. The players he took are better suited for a 4-3. Knowing that Houston is a salary cap killer and Dee Ford on his last year of the contract. Neither of those two really fit a 4-3.

But Drafting Nadi, Speaks and D. Odaniel do fit the 4-3. Also Hitchen and Ragland are better suited as 4-3 linebackers with Odaniel laying the Will Backer.

Greg Jones could perform even better as a DE in the 4-3 with Speaks on the other side.

This years draft is supposed to be heavy with quality D line players.

Seek
01-25-2019, 10:00 AM
Um you're wrong one players. It be

speaks,ndai, jones,ford
Houston. Hitchens. Odaniel

Ragland qould be the loser out. Also Kpass might i think would take Fords spot if we dont resign him. If jot he qould be a loser as well. I like Kpass more than speaks but i dont think kpass is strong as speaks to take strong aide De that has to be more tun stopping.

Read this. Also not sure where bailey fits in. I might like him nore than speaks now thinking avout it at de

I don't agree. Jones and Speaks will be the DE. Nadi will be NT, with Xavier Williams at 3 tech DT. Ford could play DE as well as he did in college but he would be a Passing sub package. Not an every down player. Do you want to pay 15 mil for a sub player. He was a huge liability against the run. They will either need to retain Bailey for the 3 tech DT or acquire one. Jones is better suited at DE.

jason1981
01-25-2019, 01:40 PM
I don't agree. Jones and Speaks will be the DE. Nadi will be NT, with Xavier Williams at 3 tech DT. Ford could play DE as well as he did in college but he would be a Passing sub package. Not an every down player. Do you want to pay 15 mil for a sub player. He was a huge liability against the run. They will either need to retain Bailey for the 3 tech DT or acquire one. Jones is better suited at DE.

Actually i thought jones would be a good penetrating Dt but i also think he can play DE. And you maybe right. It woukd save us slot of cap space your way. But that means we woukd get rif of 2 of our best 3 best rushers on our team. That worries me.

Seek
01-25-2019, 05:11 PM
Actually i thought jones would be a good penetrating Dt but i also think he can play DE. And you maybe right. It woukd save us slot of cap space your way. But that means we woukd get rif of 2 of our best 3 best rushers on our team. That worries me.
I don't see how the Chiefs can keep Houston, Ford and Berry. Just the three of them would take up 30% of our total cap. Knowing we will have to pay Jones and Hill as well to keep them.

Steven Nelson and Bailey need contracts as well. I am not sure if we will retain them.

jason1981
01-25-2019, 05:34 PM
I don't see how the Chiefs can keep Houston, Ford and Berry. Just the three of them would take up 30% of our total cap. Knowing we will have to pay Jones and Hill as well to keep them.

Steven Nelson and Bailey need contracts as well. I am not sure if we will retain them.

Il be ok with letting Berry and Houston go and resign Ford. They will be a goood pool of safties on free market. Remember last off season they all signed one year deals so they will be available again this year.

TopekaRoy
01-25-2019, 06:47 PM

Good article. I see he has Ford lining up on the line of scrimmage at DE. That makes me a little nervous. LOL.

Il be ok with letting Berry and Houston go and resign Ford. They will be a goood pool of safties on free market. Remember last off season they all signed one year deals so they will be available again this year.
Just releasing Berry won't free up a lot. We still have all that dead money. I'm okay with letting Houston go if we have to for financial reasons. I would prefer to keep him for another year or two if possible, but not if it handcuffs the team. I think he still has a couple of good years ahead of him, but they have to look at who they can most afford to lose.

jason1981
01-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Good article. I see he has Ford lining up on the line of scrimmage at DE. That makes me a little nervous. LOL.

Just releasing Berry won't free up a lot. We still have all that dead money. I'm okay with letting Houston go if we have to for financial reasons. I would prefer to keep him for another year or two if possible, but not if it handcuffs the team. I think he still has a couple of good years ahead of him, but they have to look at who they can most afford to lose.

The only reason im ok with getting rid of berry cuz hes never healthy anyways and wasted cap space let slone hes only had one good year.
Houston cuz i hope it gives us enough cap soace to go after a good healthy dependable free agent safety or cb.

Chiefs4life24
01-25-2019, 07:55 PM
Berry isnt going anywhere unfortunately if we released him we would have 8 million in dead cap, he would have to reach an injury settlement and retire for us to not have that dead money

Eydugstr
01-25-2019, 08:51 PM
Well, the last time Reid didn't hire a buddy & vetted a DC, guess who that was? Bob Sutton.

Just because it didn't work out the first time, doesn't mean you give up on the process. Was hoping Reid would at least be more analytical about it. Steve Spagnuolo comes with some red flags (Don't take my word for it, check out a Saints or Rams forum.) Don't wish the guy any bad luck, but one has to look at the win/loss records on some of these teams he's been around and start asking questions.

I'm not sorry for Sutton - He simply would not adjust what he was doing, good or bad - at the same time wonder if he was getting screwed by the front office on purpose to pave the way for bringing a 4-3 to KC, and got handed a bunch of players this past year that simply didn't fit a 3-4. From what I've read on Giants forums, Spagnuolo was the type of coach that had to have a talented roster. If that's the case, our front office is going to have to do a much better job for the D.

Chiefs4life24
01-25-2019, 09:12 PM
I'm really excited about what a 4-3 defense will look like. If it's a Houston-Nnadi-Jones-Ford front, I love DOD at WLB and Hitchens at SLB. Ragland isn't ideal at MLB, but I could see it. Could also see Speaks at DE and a DOD-Hitchens-Houston LB trio.

brdempsey69
01-25-2019, 09:17 PM
Just because it didn't work out the first time, doesn't mean you give up on the process. Was hoping Reid would at least be more analytical about it. Steve Spagnuolo comes with some red flags (Don't take my word for it, check out a Saints or Rams forum.) Don't wish the guy any bad luck, but one has to look at the win/loss records on some of these teams he's been around and start asking questions.

I'm not sorry for Sutton - He simply would not adjust what he was doing, good or bad - at the same time wonder if he was getting screwed by the front office on purpose to pave the way for bringing a 4-3 to KC, and got handed a bunch of players this past year that simply didn't fit a 3-4. From what I've read on Giants forums, Spagnuolo was the type of coach that had to have a talented roster. If that's the case, our front office is going to have to do a much better job for the D.

I just wonder if there really was anybody else out there other than Spags that wanted the job. There really wasn't a whole lot to choose from as a result of the Chiefs getting to the AFCG.

The critical thing for Spags will be to teach them to be more fundamentally sound, gameplan, and make adjustments when needed in game. It is said he knows how to dial up blitzes and knows how to disguise them.

Eydugstr
01-25-2019, 10:19 PM
I'm really excited about what a 4-3 defense will look like. If it's a Houston-Nnadi-Jones-Ford front, I love DOD at WLB and Hitchens at SLB. Ragland isn't ideal at MLB, but I could see it. Could also see Speaks at DE and a DOD-Hitchens-Houston LB trio.

Will we be able to keep Houston? Or Dee Ford for that matter? I've no doubt that Chris Jones would turn into a good pass rushing 4-3 lineman, but not sure that Ford would make the "switch" as easily.

I just wonder if there really was anybody else out there other than Spags that wanted the job. There really wasn't a whole lot to choose from as a result of the Chiefs getting to the AFCG.

The critical thing for Spags will be to teach them to be more fundamentally sound, gameplan, and make adjustments when needed in game. It is said he knows how to dial up blitzes and knows how to disguise them.

There might not have been a whole lot of defensive coaches interested in KC - They probably figure that the bulk of the front office's money is going to be tied up in the offense.

Far as I'm concerned if Spagnuolo can get the next batch of mystery cornerback x's to turn and look for the ball, and the linebackers to just stay in their lanes and make tackles...It'll be a huge improvement.

brdempsey69
01-25-2019, 10:33 PM
There might not have been a whole lot of defensive coaches interested in KC - They probably figure that the bulk of the front office's money is going to be tied up in the offense.

Far as I'm concerned if Spagnuolo can get the next batch of mystery cornerback x's to turn and look for the ball, and the linebackers to just stay in their lanes and make tackles...It'll be a huge improvement.

Go look at the play after Dee Ford's offsides. If Berry simply turns around when Gronk does to look for the ball, he could have had an easy & game saving INT. Instead, not only does Berry not turn around, he doesn't even stick his hands up to try and keep Gronk from catching the ball. I couldn't believe that when I saw that & I'm thinking "this is a guy this team wants to pay 13+ million dollars a year for -- just so he can continue to SUCK at pass defense". In the Raiders and Colts games, the Defense looked so much better, fundamentally. Then they put Berry back in for the AFCG & they looked like scrimmage fodder.

Spags and the Defensive assistants must stress to whoever the DB's are in 2019, to turn and look for the ball & to employ better coverage techniques.

JPPT1974
01-25-2019, 10:35 PM
Wonder if the game would have ended different had the team hired him in the first place instead of keeping Sutton?!

Chiefster
01-26-2019, 02:21 AM

We certainly don't need to trade Bob Sutton for another Bob Sutton for sure.

brdempsey69
01-26-2019, 04:11 AM
We certainly don't need to trade Bob Sutton for another Bob Sutton for sure.

For now, I'll give him a fair shake & hope for the best. Spags already has one major obstacle in his way. THIS:

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1165&stc=1

brdempsey69
01-26-2019, 04:14 AM
^^^See that above? To me, THAT scenario combined with the Kareem Hunt scandal cost this team a trip to Atlanta.

Eydugstr
01-26-2019, 10:03 AM
Go look at the play after Dee Ford's offsides. If Berry simply turns around when Gronk does to look for the ball, he could have had an easy & game saving INT. Instead, not only does Berry not turn around, he doesn't even stick his hands up to try and keep Gronk from catching the ball. I couldn't believe that when I saw that & I'm thinking "this is a guy this team wants to pay 13+ million dollars a year for -- just so he can continue to SUCK at pass defense". In the Raiders and Colts games, the Defense looked so much better, fundamentally. Then they put Berry back in for the AFCG & they looked like scrimmage fodder.

Spags and the Defensive assistants must stress to whoever the DB's are in 2019, to turn and look for the ball & to employ better coverage techniques.

The whole "idea" of having Berry in there was supposed to be better communication, better D against the run game, the only guy that has a chance of covering Gronkowski...yadda yadda yadda....if you ask the couch coordinators. We got our answers, too.

Berry's current situation is unique. All the man has to do is sit in a therapy room and wonder when the team will show up and beg for an injury settlement, or how to shelter $15 more million from taxes.

TopekaRoy
01-26-2019, 12:09 PM
If he can just teach the guys how to tackle without giving up more than 2 yards after the point of contact, it will be a huge improvement.

brdempsey69
01-26-2019, 12:50 PM
This 3 page article breaks down what went wrong in the AFCG, and most of it on the Defensive side of the ball.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2019/01/26/chiefs-patriots-film-study-key-plays-determined-afc-championship-game/3/

It shows Edelman on that exact same play converting 3rd down into 1st down FOUR times on the exact same play & there were no adjustments to stop it. It just shows the ineptitude of Bob Sutton and some of the Chiefs DB's.

Eydugstr
01-26-2019, 03:00 PM
If he can just teach the guys how to tackle without giving up more than 2 yards after the point of contact, it will be a huge improvement.

This is an area where DJ is sorely missed. Would hire him as a position coach in a heartbeat.

jason1981
01-26-2019, 06:57 PM
This 3 page article breaks down what went wrong in the AFCG, and most of it on the Defensive side of the ball.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2019/01/26/chiefs-patriots-film-study-key-plays-determined-afc-championship-game/3/

It shows Edelman on that exact same play converting 3rd down into 1st down FOUR times on the exact same play & there were no adjustments to stop it. It just shows the ineptitude of Bob Sutton and some of the Chiefs DB's.

Just think that if we had just a lil better defense we'd be undefeated and going to the superbowl. We had the 31st ranked defense. If we even had the 25th to 29th ranked would have been huge for us. Just get us to the 15th to 22nd ranked defense and il be happy.

Oh by the way watts and sorenson doesnt fit into spanguolo defense. So another wasted draft pick. Also he uses 3 cb instead of 3 safties. Berry and lucas fits spanguolo defense that we have on our roster. Maybe we can trade watts and sorenson, heck maybe houston, and berry while we are at it.

matthewschiefs
01-26-2019, 09:18 PM
Just think that if we had just a lil better defense we'd be undefeated and going to the superbowl. We had the 31st ranked defense. If we even had the 25th to 29th ranked would have been huge for us. Just get us to the 15th to 22nd ranked defense and il be happy.

Oh by the way watts and sorenson doesnt fit into spanguolo defense. So another wasted draft pick. Also he uses 3 cb instead of 3 safties. Berry and lucas fits spanguolo defense that we have on our roster. Maybe we can trade watts and sorenson, heck maybe houston, and berry while we are at it.

We need to do as much as we can to improve the defense.

The offense scored more then 26 points in every game that had never happened before in the history of the NFL. We can't assume that's going to happen again.

jason1981
01-27-2019, 12:22 AM
We need to do as much as we can to improve the defense.

The offense scored more then 26 points in every game that had never happened before in the history of the NFL. We can't assume that's going to happen again.

I agree. 1st we need to make sure we dont waste anymore draft picks qoukd be a good start.

brdempsey69
01-27-2019, 03:12 AM

This is just rumor-control for right now, but a guy I met at work today who was at the Indy playoff game said he believes that Spags wants Landon Collins to come to KC. He also said Berry is done and needs to go.

Chiefs4life24
01-27-2019, 09:37 AM
I fail to see how Armani Watts doesn't fit our new system?

jason1981
01-27-2019, 12:12 PM
I fail to see how Armani Watts doesn't fit our new system?

Hes doesnt have the traits that spangulol requires in his safties. Basically only berry and lucas fits his style that he wants. There is a good article out about it.

Chiefs4life24
01-27-2019, 05:07 PM
The Article is wrong Watts Fits all the traits we want in a Safety, and i talked to my father in law today and I said to him that Reid hired a "Friend" instead of a young hungry stud and his reply to me was Nepotism destroys good teams.

Eydugstr
01-27-2019, 05:41 PM
Hes doesnt have the traits that spangulol requires in his safties. Basically only berry and lucas fits his style that he wants. There is a good article out about it.

The Article is wrong Watts Fits all the traits we want in a Safety, and i talked to my father in law today and I said to him that Reid hired a "Friend" instead of a young hungry stud and his reply to me was Nepotism destroys good teams.

Can you guys post a link to the article?

Also why is everyone so down on Sorenson? Understand he's not the second coming of Ronnie Lott but at the same time he's been one of the few in our secondary who has made plays.

jason1981
01-27-2019, 05:57 PM
Can you guys post a link to the article?

Also why is everyone so down on Sorenson? Understand he's not the second coming of Ronnie Lott but at the same time he's been one of the few in our secondary who has made plays.
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/26/18197716/what-the-change-to-steve-spagnuolo-and-the-4-3-under-means-for-the-chiefs-secondary

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/24/18196643/the-4-3-under-how-the-chiefs-current-personnel-fits

Top seconaty
Bottom front 7

jason1981
01-27-2019, 06:31 PM

I wish watts did but im afraid he doesnt.

Chiefs4life24
01-27-2019, 09:39 PM
Armani Watts was hurt the whole year so their was no way anyone could conclude what he is or isn't good at so I don't believe a word that article had to say until Watts is healthy and playing in the system with my own eyes to see it sorry.

Eydugstr
01-27-2019, 10:29 PM
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/26/18197716/what-the-change-to-steve-spagnuolo-and-the-4-3-under-means-for-the-chiefs-secondary

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/1/24/18196643/the-4-3-under-how-the-chiefs-current-personnel-fits

Top seconaty
Bottom front 7

TY, jason1981.

There's actually a lot we can keep from the front seven, and do think that Hitchens would be a good fit for us at MLB in a 4-3 scheme. I'm assuming that the writer still thinks that Berry will be around, mainly because the front office wants to get something instead of nothing for losing 15 million, if they can't get to some kind of injury settlement.

The other thing that concerns me is that in Justin Houston and Dee Ford, there's a lot of money wrapped up right there, so signing Collins might be out of the picture. Collins has had some injuries as well, but don't think it's anywhere near what's going on with Berry. My guess is that if Houston is let go, and we retain Dee Ford (somehow) that we'll need to keep Ragland (cheaper option) and invest our draft picks in our secondary, maybe a linebacker that we could develop. If the writer is correct, Ragland isn't a good fit.

jason1981
01-28-2019, 01:34 AM
TY, jason1981.

There's actually a lot we can keep from the front seven, and do think that Hitchens would be a good fit for us at MLB in a 4-3 scheme. I'm assuming that the writer still thinks that Berry will be around, mainly because the front office wants to get something instead of nothing for losing 15 million, if they can't get to some kind of injury settlement.

The other thing that concerns me is that in Justin Houston and Dee Ford, there's a lot of money wrapped up right there, so signing Collins might be out of the picture. Collins has had some injuries as well, but don't think it's anywhere near what's going on with Berry. My guess is that if Houston is let go, and we retain Dee Ford (somehow) that we'll need to keep Ragland (cheaper option) and invest our draft picks in our secondary, maybe a linebacker that we could develop. If the writer is correct, Ragland isn't a good fit.

Yw. I dont trust ragland. Only place he would fit is at middle and we have hintchens and ragland isnt that good. To slow. I really hipe we can get an injury settlement with berry cuz he will have to have surgery and it would be hard for him to recover from it. The chiefs have bent over backwards for him and way overpaid for what hes given to the chiefs so he should and better give chiefs a friendly deal.

Thwre alot of good safeties available. Remember all the good ones last year had signed 1 year deals so they are FA again this offseason

jason1981
01-28-2019, 01:39 AM
Armani Watts was hurt the whole year so their was no way anyone could conclude what he is or isn't good at so I don't believe a word that article had to say until Watts is healthy and playing in the system with my own eyes to see it sorry.

He's going by the scouting reports. Watts i believe isnt that big or fast. He was a safety that could do lil of everything ok but not one thing good or great. Spanuolo requires his safeties to be good or great in one area. Sutton liked safeties that could play both and interchange. Spang has each safety for a certain thing so he wants a safety that excels near the scrimmage line and kne that excels at deep safety not safties that are mediocre at both. Atleast thats what i take away. Though i hope im wrong about watts. If i remember right both watts and odaniels were like tweekers. Fit a certain style or role.

brdempsey69
01-28-2019, 01:44 AM
TY, jason1981.

Yw. I dont trust ragland. Only place he would fit is at middle and we have hintchens and ragland isnt that good. To slow. I really hipe we can get an injury settlement with berry cuz he will have to have surgery and it would be hard for him to recover from it. The chiefs have bent over backwards for him and way overpaid for what hes given to the chiefs so he should and better give chiefs a friendly deal.

THAT is the real sticking point. Those writers can't seem to figure it out that Berry is nothing but a shell of what he was in 2016. The guy can't run or cover & the longer this drags out with him taking up a valuable roster spot, the further it sets back this team. Best case scenario is for an injury settlement & for him to RETIRE. It's time for Berry to take one for the team.

Eydugstr
01-28-2019, 07:07 AM
THAT is the real sticking point. Those writers can't seem to figure it out that Berry is nothing but a shell of what he was in 2016. The guy can't run or cover & the longer this drags out with him taking up a valuable roster spot, the further it sets back this team. Best case scenario is for an injury settlement & for him to RETIRE. It's time for Berry to take one for the team.

Very surprised that more hasn't been written about this situation. When you read these articles it's like the writers are so used to dealing with the elephant in the room that it hardly gets mentioned.

Still not sold on Spagunolo, or the 4-3, but can appreciate the fact that Reid sees that now there needs to be a complete change on D and create something that will throw a curveball to other teams right now. Thankfully we do have a decent amount of draft picks, and a front office with a good track record of finding talent across the draft rounds. Where we come up short is FA money, so that handicaps us from signing experienced players like Collins which could really speed things up. If we can't give the new DC the people he needs to run his system, we might find ourselves right back in a situation just like the one we just got away from.

Eydugstr
01-28-2019, 07:15 AM

Thwre alot of good safeties available. Remember all the good ones last year had signed 1 year deals so they are FA again this offseason

Agree about Berry. Hope that you are right about the FA safeties, we're going to need one.

Ragland is pretty young, so it's not like he's invested ten years in one D system, and might be able to catch onto the 4-3 under a new DC. Not expecting miracles but at the same time just don't see the front office being eager to give up on him, either.

Seek
01-28-2019, 09:15 AM
Berry isnt going anywhere unfortunately if we released him we would have 8 million in dead cap, he would have to reach an injury settlement and retire for us to not have that dead money

I don't think your numbers are right. If we cut Berry, he would carry 14 million of dead cap space, for a savings of 1.5 million. If he passes a physical by March 31st. Then we can let him go after 6-1 and carry that cap out over two years. With him having this surgery now. He wont pass his physical making him PUP, and guaranteed this years contract.