PDA

View Full Version : Post game @ Lions

matthewschiefs
09-29-2019, 04:50 PM
This was not a well played game really. Sloppy real sloppy. But it's a W still.

Today IMO we saw the first game in which Patrick Mahomes really struggled. Some of that is not on him. He was hurried a lot. Wrs fumbling the ball didn't help either. But there were plays that normally he makes that he was just a tad off today. He missed a couple of wide open guys. Hey it happens. But I think this is the first game in the last couple of years that I don't think that Patrick Mahomes was the reason we won the game. That being said he found a way at the end to get us the winning score. He showed even on a clunker game why he is the MVP. He didn't put up the numbers and TDs that we have gotten use to but he did go get the W. And that's what matters.

I sat on this forum for years ranting and ranting about building an offense. The Kelce flip play was an example of what getting playmakers can do. It was a very smart play and was huge and much needed on a day where Mahomes wasn't at his best. MAN it's great to have a playmaker.

People will look at the points the Lions got and think that the defense was horrible. I really didn't think so. Sometimes the offense doesn't help a defense out and that was the case today. The fumbles the 3 and outs the missed FG early. None of this helped. And if the Defense played as poorly as we have seen in the past couple of years we could have been blown out. But they didn't they created a few turnovers of their own and even put up a TD on the fumble return. They left a lot of room for improvement BUT they were a HUGE reason why the Chiefs were able to get the win. And we should give them some credit for it.

One thing I have noticed the past few weeks is this team at least at the start has not started out well. They have gotten behind each of the last 3 weeks. THIS can not keep going. At some point it is going to come back to bite them. GET THIS FIGURED OUT GUYS.

4-0 and still a 2 game lead. The Chiefs got away with one today. Sometimes that's what good teams do just find a way to get the W. There's a lot to work on this week. On to the Colts next Sunday night. GO CHIEFS!

brdempsey69
09-29-2019, 08:05 PM
Whatever may have happened in Detroit today, at the end of the day:

Chiefs are 4-0 and the DONKEYS SUCK and are right where they belong at 0-4. Donkeys fans have got to be ripping their hair out at this juncture because they can't draft a QB & they aren't going to find any Peyton Manning's in FA any time soon.

chiefnutz
09-29-2019, 08:28 PM
Looking at this game. I am still concerned about our D running game. We gave up too many yrds. Our Offensive running game is also suspect. Offense just looked out of sync for a lot of the game. Charvarious Ward got exposed today. Should we make that move for Ramsey now?

brdempsey69
09-29-2019, 08:30 PM
Just saw the highlights. Kudos to the rookie Thornhill on the last Hail Mary pass & employing a veteran move of just simply swatting the ball down to the ground. I've seen what can happen when a DB doesn't do what Thornhill did. Just go right to 16:41 of the video below and watch for yourself what happens when the DB doesn't do what Thornhill did. I will NEVER forget this play from Dec. 6, 1970. It cost the NY Jets the ballgame that they really deserved to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu1o9heRpZQ&t=1090s

jason1981
09-29-2019, 09:31 PM
I actually thought the Defense was doing good knowing that they was on the field so much cuz our offense was off today. Yeah the 1st 2 drives wasnt so good but I thought they settled down and towards the end of the game i thought they were worn down. The best way to protect our defense is for our offense to get a lead that makes the opponents pass more and then make them more one dimensional. I didnt like the offensive game plan at all. I hope Fisher gets back soon. I think he will boost our run game.

matthewschiefs
09-29-2019, 09:50 PM
Looking at this game. I am still concerned about our D running game. We gave up too many yrds. Our Offensive running game is also suspect. Offense just looked out of sync for a lot of the game. Charvarious Ward got exposed today. Should we make that move for Ramsey now?

The running game is a major worry still. I do think it has been improved from last year slightly. But it's still not anywhere near good enough. We knew that the D was going to be a work in progress but if this team wants to get to where they want to be at the end of the year it's going to have to get better

jason1981
09-29-2019, 09:58 PM
The running game is a major worry still. I do think it has been improved from last year slightly. But it's still not anywhere near good enough. We knew that the D was going to be a work in progress but if this team wants to get to where they want to be at the end of the year it's going to have to get better

Clark to me has been a disappointment. I beginning to think we are screwed if we have to lose Chris Jones in free agency. I'd rather trade clark and his contract away and resign Jones.

matthewschiefs
09-29-2019, 09:59 PM
I actually thought the Defense was doing good knowing that they was on the field so much cuz our offense was off today. Yeah the 1st 2 drives wasnt so good but I thought they settled down and towards the end of the game i thought they were worn down. The best way to protect our defense is for our offense to get a lead that makes the opponents pass more and then make them more one dimensional. I didnt like the offensive game plan at all. I hope Fisher gets back soon. I think he will boost our run game.

They played a lot better then what people will think seeing that the Lions scored 30. The offense did them no favors today. The bad starts are a trend. But so unlike last year they are ADJUSTING they are not being beaten by being outcoached as much.

The major things that I think have to get better are the Run D that has been mention. And damn they have to get pressure on the QBS more. They did a little better with that as the game went on but at the start Stafford had all freaking day to throw the ball. That has to change.

matthewschiefs
09-29-2019, 10:01 PM
Clark to me has been a disappointment. I beginning to think we are screwed if we have to lose Chris Jones in free agency. I'd rather trade clark and his contract away and resign Jones.

Clark to this point has. Hopefully that changes as the D gels together more. I think before we start talking about trading anyone this year we need to get to the 2nd half of the season. The key to this D isn't how they are playing at the start of the year we all knew that they would be a work in progress I hope that Clark shows his worth as the season goes along.

Eydugstr
09-29-2019, 10:01 PM
This is really a weird game to decipher. Yes the offense looked sloppy and Mahomes did struggle, but was it a case of an improved Lions' D making the Chiefs' offense look sloppy? My hope is that Reid takes this game and uses it as an example of things to work on.

Think the play that broke the Lion's back was when their TD got scrubbed by the refs, then the Chiefs' D capitalized and got Stafford to fumble. Granted more fans will probably say the lateral back to McCoy from Kelce was the play that did it, and it was a great play, but if you look at the Lion's faces when Chris Jones recovers the fumble, it really did a lot to deflate them.

The D needs work. A lot of work. But they did make adjustments and didn't give up.

jason1981
09-29-2019, 10:04 PM
Also we will get Claiborne back this week and also the cardinals are 0-3 so maybe they will trade cb peterson? Atleast Claiborne will be an upgrade over Ward.i think.

matthewschiefs
09-29-2019, 10:14 PM
This is really a weird game to decipher. Yes the offense looked sloppy and Mahomes did struggle, but was it a case of an improved Lions' D making the Chiefs' offense look sloppy? My hope is that Reid takes this game and uses it as an example of things to work on.

Think the play that broke the Lion's back was when their TD got scrubbed by the refs, then the Chiefs' D capitalized and got Stafford to fumble. Granted more fans will probably say the lateral back to McCoy from Kelce was the play that did it, and it was a great play, but if you look at the Lion's faces when Chris Jones recovers the fumble, it really did a lot to deflate them.

The D needs work. A lot of work. But they did make adjustments and didn't give up.

Detroit played really well on defense today. Mahomes still had some guys open and he was just off on the throw so it was both us being off and Detroit being off. That being said they still put up 27 points (if you take out the TD by the D) On an off day for Mahomes he still put up 27 with the other teams D playing well.

Seek
09-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Also we will get Claiborne back this week and also the cardinals are 0-3 so maybe they will trade cb peterson? Atleast Claiborne will be an upgrade over Ward.i think.

I don't think Ward has played bad. Claiborne from what I have seen is Steven Nelson 2.0. He holds a lot and gets flagged a lot. Ward has not been our problem. Most passes against us are right in the middle of the field between the line backers and safeties.

After watching both later games yesterday. Those teams line backers attack the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage. Not trying to she blockers three yards back.

Eydugstr
09-30-2019, 08:13 PM
Detroit played really well on defense today. Mahomes still had some guys open and he was just off on the throw so it was both us being off and Detroit being off. That being said they still put up 27 points (if you take out the TD by the D) On an off day for Mahomes he still put up 27 with the other teams D playing well.

Mahomes is amazing, no arguments there! Can you imagine opposing teams' coaches having to tell their staff and players that they must score 28+ points to have any hope at all?

The more I look at this game...The Lions are a much improved team overall. Hoping Reid turns this into something the team learns from.

jason1981
09-30-2019, 08:51 PM
I don't think Ward has played bad. Claiborne from what I have seen is Steven Nelson 2.0. He holds a lot and gets flagged a lot. Ward has not been our problem. Most passes against us are right in the middle of the field between the line backers and safeties.

After watching both later games yesterday. Those teams line backers attack the ball carrier at the line of scrimmage. Not trying to she blockers three yards back.

I know some of those passes Against ward were pretty good passes and catches but Ward never in position to contend for the catch. He never turns his head. Atleast turn your had and try to bat the ball away. Make a play on the ball!!!! If he would do that teams would stop doing that to him. I think if they know guys dont ever turn there head then they think it is a less risky play for an int just to complete it over his head. Not sure if I'm explaining my theory right but hope you get my point. It's like throwing a jump ball up knowing only your wr has a chance to grab it since the other guy just defends blinded.

Eydugstr
09-30-2019, 09:07 PM
Just saw the highlights. Kudos to the rookie Thornhill on the last Hail Mary pass & employing a veteran move of just simply swatting the ball down to the ground. I've seen what can happen when a DB doesn't do what Thornhill did. Just go right to 16:41 of the video below and watch for yourself what happens when the DB doesn't do what Thornhill did. I will NEVER forget this play from Dec. 6, 1970. It cost the NY Jets the ballgame that they really deserved to win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu1o9heRpZQ&t=1090s

TY for posting that Brd. Also covered the Ben Davidson episode when he speared Len Dawson.

Whatever may have happened in Detroit today, at the end of the day:

Chiefs are 4-0 and the DONKEYS SUCK and are right where they belong at 0-4. Donkeys fans have got to be ripping their hair out at this juncture because they can't draft a QB & they aren't going to find any Peyton Manning's in FA any time soon.

Peyton no....But from the looks of it Eli will be available pretty cheap...As a Chiefs fan I'm finding it all pretty amusing, too.

Packfan11
09-30-2019, 11:15 PM
As a Packer fan I love KC. I hope you guys have a great year.

Seek
10-01-2019, 08:48 AM
I know some of those passes Against ward were pretty good passes and catches but Ward never in position to contend for the catch. He never turns his head. Atleast turn your had and try to bat the ball away. Make a play on the ball!!!! If he would do that teams would stop doing that to him. I think if they know guys dont ever turn there head then they think it is a less risky play for an int just to complete it over his head. Not sure if I'm explaining my theory right but hope you get my point. It's like throwing a jump ball up knowing only your wr has a chance to grab it since the other guy just defends blinded.

Fuller has been equally as bad as Ward or more, and where are our safeties. At least War is there on his man close enough to make the plays challenged by replay. He is also just starting his second year. He has had a pick his year and had the pick in the AFCC that Dee Ford lined up offside. He is also the only CB we have under contract for 2020. Im not ready to give up on him yet.

jason1981
10-01-2019, 01:44 PM
Fuller has been equally as bad as Ward or more, and where are our safeties. At least War is there on his man close enough to make the plays challenged by replay. He is also just starting his second year. He has had a pick his year and had the pick in the AFCC that Dee Ford lined up offside. He is also the only CB we have under contract for 2020. Im not ready to give up on him yet.

Agree on Fuller. You sound Gloom and doom and I kinda agree with our defense. We are statistically worse then last year.

Seek
10-02-2019, 08:58 AM
Agree on Fuller. You sound Gloom and doom and I kinda agree with our defense. We are statistically worse then last year.

NO Doom and Gloom. Not being able to stop the run, is the biggest issue this team will have winning tough games. If the pats get up on us by 10 like every team has this year. They can prevent a shoot out by doing exactly what the Lions did.

Teams burning us in the passing game, just puts our offense back on the field faster for a shoot out that we are better suited for.

The linebackers have got to get better.

C Louie
10-02-2019, 11:31 AM

I agree with this. I was at the game in Detroit and the lack of stopping the run was the thing I thought we struggled with most on D.

jason1981
10-03-2019, 02:33 PM
NO Doom and Gloom. Not being able to stop the run, is the biggest issue this team will have winning tough games. If the pats get up on us by 10 like every team has this year. They can prevent a shoot out by doing exactly what the Lions did.

Teams burning us in the passing game, just puts our offense back on the field faster for a shoot out that we are better suited for.

Yeah Patriots are the best at game planning and can adapt to any strategy they want.