PDA

View Full Version : Postgame Vs Packers fought hard but didn't have enough

matthewschiefs
10-27-2019, 11:39 PM
Expected to lose this one Still a bit frustrating to have been right there.

Tonight we saw what Mahomes does to teams. That late TD was just an great throw and catch. We are normally on the other side of that. Hopefully this is all Mahomes misses

Defense played hard. Rodgers is just good very good. Sometimes you got to just tip your cap.

Matt Moore wasn't bad. Andy Reid didn't help with his normal pass happy playbook. The dude just won't adjust. Sure he will say we have to do a better job same thing we have do a better job. you know like we have heard 3 of the last 4 games and then does the same thing. Frustrating to see this time after time after time.

We are still in good shape to win the division but I think it's safe to say we now have no shot at that 1 seed again. This team is going to have to win on the road in the postseason.

Eydugstr
10-28-2019, 06:54 AM
The game was very close. And very winnable.

This game IMO doesn't fall on Reid. He did make adjustments, which is why the second quarter things turned around and we had a ball game. There were two plays that really stung us. The first was McCoy's fumble, the second being our inability to stop GB's running game when ST had them pinned down at the two yard line. And they're directly related to one another, because the D was simply running on empty at that point.

Offensively Reid was decent and think that Moore will be better if he plays another game. He handled Moore similar to the way he handled Alex Smith - making sure he got rid of the ball fast. Moore's looping pass to Kelce for the TD was great. McCoy's fumble is something that we should've seen coming. He carries the ball the way a six year old carries an ice cream cone, and got the results to match. And at the worst possible time.

The defense did prove that last week's game against the Bronco's was no fluke. Inbetween the D's pass rush and Arrowhead's noise level, we had Rodgers shook up at times in that ball game. Unfortunately, we couldn't get off the field when we had them pinned at their end zone, and the D had simply ran out of gas. Also, Rodgers is already great, why help him get more stats by sending LB's to cover their WR's in the secondary? Rodgers will pick up on those mis-matches every time.

Injuries are piling up bad. I've said it before, will say it again...we need to seriously look at our strength and conditioning practices.

Disappointing game. But what's worse is that all of our losses have been at home.

matthewschiefs
10-28-2019, 09:49 PM
The game was very close. And very winnable.

This game IMO doesn't fall on Reid. He did make adjustments, which is why the second quarter things turned around and we had a ball game. There were two plays that really stung us. The first was McCoy's fumble, the second being our inability to stop GB's running game when ST had them pinned down at the two yard line. And they're directly related to one another, because the D was simply running on empty at that point.

Offensively Reid was decent and think that Moore will be better if he plays another game. He handled Moore similar to the way he handled Alex Smith - making sure he got rid of the ball fast. Moore's looping pass to Kelce for the TD was great. McCoy's fumble is something that we should've seen coming. He carries the ball the way a six year old carries an ice cream cone, and got the results to match. And at the worst possible time.

The defense did prove that last week's game against the Bronco's was no fluke. Inbetween the D's pass rush and Arrowhead's noise level, we had Rodgers shook up at times in that ball game. Unfortunately, we couldn't get off the field when we had them pinned at their end zone, and the D had simply ran out of gas. Also, Rodgers is already great, why help him get more stats by sending LB's to cover their WR's in the secondary? Rodgers will pick up on those mis-matches every time.

Injuries are piling up bad. I've said it before, will say it again...we need to seriously look at our strength and conditioning practices.

Disappointing game. But what's worse is that all of our losses have been at home.

The adjustment I think that Reid should have made was doing what other teams have done to us. RUN THE BALL RUN THE BALL RUN THE BALL. Even more when Rodgers was on like he was. Instead Reid did what he always does stuck with the pass happy playbook. And for that I think Reid deserves a lot of flack for this one. Not even mentioning the choice to punt the ball to Rodgers late in the 4th.

I wasn't upset with the Defense much. You look at some of the plays that the Packers made they were just Rodgers being freaking great. Were not poorly defended at all. Rodgers just did what we normally see Mahomes do make the play. Sometimes all you can do is tip your cap there.

The one thing about the D I didn't mention was the good job getting the pass rush going even without some of our guys out. That is a HUGE positive

Eydugstr
10-29-2019, 09:29 PM
The adjustment I think that Reid should have made was doing what other teams have done to us. RUN THE BALL RUN THE BALL RUN THE BALL. Even more when Rodgers was on like he was. Instead Reid did what he always does stuck with the pass happy playbook. And for that I think Reid deserves a lot of flack for this one.

Actually they came out the gate running the ball. Just didn't stick with it after getting behind 14 points. Seeing as how we're playing our backup QB, GB figured that we'd be running the ball. Reid is a pass happy coach, no doubts there. But in Reid's defense, we really don't have a huge back to pound away at the LOS. Add to the fact that he has Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill and Sammy Watkins to throw to...Yep he's going to be pass happy. Also, when guys like McCoy fumble, yep we're going to see the end of that and more passing.

Not even mentioning the choice to punt the ball to Rodgers late in the 4th.

No arguments there. Kelce, Hill and Watkins can get you three stinkin' yards. It was also a critical moment to rest our D.

I wasn't upset with the Defense much. You look at some of the plays that the Packers made they were just Rodgers being freaking great. Were not poorly defended at all. Rodgers just did what we normally see Mahomes do make the play. Sometimes all you can do is tip your cap there.

The one thing about the D I didn't mention was the good job getting the pass rush going even without some of our guys out. That is a HUGE positive

My hope is that our defense continues to play at the level it has been since the Broncos game. We actually have play at safety now, so I think that's the difference maker in why we're able to put better pressure on the line and QB. If you look you can see our D communicating so much more than they did in the first four games. Heads turning, counter calls being yelled, guys moving others into position, etc.

But what I don't want to see us do is rely on Mathieu to rush so much that we have to put our linebackers into coverage situations. Didn't work for Sutton in a 3-4 and definitely isn't going to fare better in a 4-3. Against average QB's we can get away with that but against guys like Rodgers, that's going to be torn apart.

While I'm glad our D is playing better, the questions I have are 1) Why now? 2) Will other teams catch on and take it apart some other way? and 3) Will Spags have a counter-punch ready for that if/when it happens?