PDA

View Full Version : Dear Andy Reid 2 AFCCG pregame vs Titans

matthewschiefs
01-13-2020, 01:40 PM
Dear Andy

I have 2 simple messages for you

1. Great job getting back to this spot. I will admit there was a time midway through the season that it wasn't looking good. But you righted the ship and once again have home field for the AFC championship. Great job in that. Now bring Lamar Hunt's trophy home

2. You are facing the Titans. To beat them you are going to have to go against your nature. RUN THE BALL. They beat you early in the year when you threw the ball 50 times. They just beat the Ravens who threw the ball 59 times. The air raid offense is not how you beat these guys. If you do the math the teams that have beaten the Titans this year averaged 31 passing attempts. You are going to have to commit more to a running game. You have to keep Derek Henry on the sideline. Don't let him wear the defense down.

This is another chance to silence your critics (like me) please do this. Make me look more of an idiot. You did well the last time I wrote you do it again. Bring that trophy home

sincerely,
Matthewschiefs

brdempsey69
01-13-2020, 03:10 PM
Spot on, Matt.

KC must have a more balanced Offense this time around.

Bike
01-13-2020, 05:19 PM
We have to play to our strengths, not their weaknesses. Our strength is Mahomes and his ability to find open receivers and get them the ball and allow them to make plays. Just let Mahomes play his game and we'll be in the Superbowl.

brdempsey69
01-13-2020, 07:28 PM
We have to play to our strengths, not their weaknesses. Our strength is Mahomes and his ability to find open receivers and get them the ball and allow them to make plays. Just let Mahomes play his game and we'll be in the Superbowl.

This will work IF the Chiefs score TD's early and often. But, the Ravens didn't succeed with doing that, and what Matt is suggesting is not to get too pass happy or be one-dimensional.

matthewschiefs
01-13-2020, 08:44 PM

I agree that we have to play to our strengths. But we also have to do something to limit their strength. Derek Henry is on an amazing run right now. We have to have a little more balanced offensive mindset. Treat Henry like teams treated Mahomes to beat us. Try everything you can to keep the man off the field. I am not saying we suddenly become a run dominate team just a more balanced team this week. The air it out 50 passes just isn't what has gotten the job done against the Titans I don't think that will change this week with the run Henry is on.

brdempsey69
01-13-2020, 08:59 PM
When it is all said and done, if the Chiefs Defense is ever going to turn in a stellar effort at stopping the run, this game is most certainly the one to do it.

Also, the Chiefs can't come out flat & go scoreless in the 1st half like they did in last years AFCCG. This time, they have to be ready & prepared. Given what happened in last years AFCCG & their regular season loss to the Titans, the Chiefs have every incentive to come out and dominate from start to finish.

With that said, the Chiefs did show great character & poise yesterday against Houston, and in spite of falling behind 24-0, they didn't fold up their tents, but kept their poise & stood ready to make and take any break, and the result was the greatest comeback win in Chiefs history.

And let's be honest, the way this season was going at one point, we didn't believe the Chiefs would have this chance, again. Now that they've got this chance again, they must cash in on it this time -- no excuses.

D.R.T.
01-13-2020, 10:19 PM
Chiefs must strike fast and strike first if given the opportunity against the Titans. Beat them at their own game, take away D. Henry by us quickly putting up a 17 to 21 point lead. We have the weapons to do just that. A early lead will force the Titains to air the ball out more also screens forceing them to play catch up and out of their game of clock control with running the football. After two previous bruising games they will lose their edge by quarter three. I noticed against the Ravins they were out of gas by quarter three. The Chiefs defense must get them off the field on third down as much as possible. The Chiefs must put points on the board and force the Titans to play catch up and then we kill them with the clock effectively beat them at their own game. Chiefs do not make the bad decisions like we did early on with the Texans. Take care of the ball and the Titains. ( THINK THINK THINK )

Chiefster
01-14-2020, 12:06 AM
Win by whatever formula works best and if that's the run then start by making them account for Mahomes in passing situations which will make it difficult to double team Kelce and Hill.

brdempsey69
01-14-2020, 12:59 AM
The last time the Chiefs played the Titans, the Chiefs Defense did Sack the Titans QB 4 times in 23 pass attempts. But, they didn't stop the run & this is what cost them that game, as well as missed opportunities by the Offense.

This where Spags gets a chance to show his wares as a DC. The Chiefs must slow down the run on Defense and cash in on every opportunity on Offense.

Seek
01-14-2020, 08:55 AM

I agree with this. The previous game against the Titans we had a double digit lead after doing what the Chiefs did against the Texans, and then Andy went into Protect Mahomes and clock kill mode which is running and short passes. They tried to run the ball with little success, and then tried a bunch of screens and dump offs.

We have force them out of their game plan by scoring every time we can. Force them to pass.

Eydugstr
01-14-2020, 09:03 AM
https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2020011900/2019/POST3/titans@chiefs

Think the key to the game for the Chiefs is getting enough of a lead by halftime to force the Titan's coaching staff to pass more in the second half. Offensively we have the firepower to pull that off. We just need to cut down on the drops. Our run game is no match for theirs and just isn't tailor-made for eating up the clock, but that doesn't mean it can't be used effectively.

If the Titans are trying to stick with the play-action offense SOP my guess is that we'll be seeing a flea-flicker early in the game to try to get a quick lead established. If they get cute and Spags catches it, could turn into a disaster for them. Put them into a situation where Tannehill has to beat us in the air in the third & fourth quarters.

brdempsey69
01-14-2020, 10:06 AM
I looked at the stats of the Titans-Ravens game, and the Ravens had 530 total yards and 29 first downs, but only came away with 12 points because of 3 turnovers and going 0-4 on 4th down attempts. That's 7 possessions of coming away empty. The Ravens shot themselves in the foot way too often.

The Chiefs cannot allow this to happen. They have to cash in and come away with points when they get the ball into Titans territory. And as Eydugstr said, cut down on the drops & hang on to the football --- something the Ravens failed to do in too many critical situations.

matthewschiefs
01-14-2020, 06:49 PM
Chiefs must strike fast and strike first if given the opportunity against the Titans. Beat them at their own game, take away D. Henry by us quickly putting up a 17 to 21 point lead. We have the weapons to do just that. A early lead will force the Titains to air the ball out more also screens forceing them to play catch up and out of their game of clock control with running the football. After two previous bruising games they will lose their edge by quarter three. I noticed against the Ravins they were out of gas by quarter three. The Chiefs defense must get them off the field on third down as much as possible. The Chiefs must put points on the board and force the Titans to play catch up and then we kill them with the clock effectively beat them at their own game. Chiefs do not make the bad decisions like we did early on with the Texans. Take care of the ball and the Titains. ( THINK THINK THINK )

Welcome!

Getting off to a lead would be huge for the Chiefs this week. It would also go a long way to taking Henry out of the game. The biggest no brainer key to this game is make Ryan Tannehill show that he can beat you and not let Derek Henry do it . If the Chiefs do that then they will be going to Miami.

matthewschiefs
01-14-2020, 06:55 PM
https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2020011900/2019/POST3/titans@chiefs

Think the key to the game for the Chiefs is getting enough of a lead by halftime to force the Titan's coaching staff to pass more in the second half. Offensively we have the firepower to pull that off. We just need to cut down on the drops. Our run game is no match for theirs and just isn't tailor-made for eating up the clock, but that doesn't mean it can't be used effectively.

If the Titans are trying to stick with the play-action offense SOP my guess is that we'll be seeing a flea-flicker early in the game to try to get a quick lead established. If they get cute and Spags catches it, could turn into a disaster for them. Put them into a situation where Tannehill has to beat us in the air in the third & fourth quarters.

This to me is the biggest key to the game.

In the week 10 matchup we had a 2-1 pass to run. I think it has to be more balanced this time.

Though also in that week 10 matchup the Chiefs had Patrick Mahomes just coming back from injury and not rolling like he has been. We are going to be more of a passing team and I'm good with that. Just don't get it that far out of balance. If we do that the Chiefs should be able to win this game.

1 GAME AWAY from the super bowl and IMO clearly the better team. So pumped for Sunday

brdempsey69
01-14-2020, 07:20 PM
And let us not forget, the Chiefs were also playing with a depleted O-Line in that first match-up with the Titans. Both Fisher and LDT were not in the line-up in that first meeting. This time around, the Chiefs O-Line is healthy and fully intact, and hopefully that will prove to be a HUGE difference maker this time around.

Chiefs4life24
01-14-2020, 09:28 PM
Panthers LB Luke Kuechly just retired after 8 seasons.

Chargers TE Antonio Gates has announced his retirement

Bike
01-14-2020, 11:03 PM
The last time the Chiefs played the Titans, the Chiefs Defense did Sack the Titans QB 4 times in 23 pass attempts. But, they didn't stop the run & this is what cost them that game, as well as missed opportunities by the Offense.

This where Spags gets a chance to show his wares as a DC. The Chiefs must slow down the run on Defense and cash in on every opportunity on Offense.

This is the key to the game. The Titans will have one strategy - and that will be to keep Mahomes on the sideline. They can do that with Henry. If we can't stop the run, our defense will wear down and it will be a long game. We have to win the battle of the trenches with these guys.

brdempsey69
01-14-2020, 11:56 PM
This is the key to the game. The Titans will have one strategy - and that will be to keep Mahomes on the sideline. They can do that with Henry. If we can't stop the run, our defense will wear down and it will be a long game. We have to win the battle of the trenches with these guys.

If Chris Jones can play, then the Chiefs will have a solid rotation at Defensive Tackle and be able to keep fresh men in the game at all times & the Chiefs LB's have to fill the gaps correctly & take away the cutback lanes.

The Donkeys actually held Henry to 28 yards on 15 carries back in October (of course, the Chiefs beat the Donks twice by simply throwing the ball over the Donkeys defense, while the Chiefs Defense just flat out smothered the Donkeys Offense in both games).

The Chiefs Defensive coaches have to be able to put together some type a scheme to slow Henry down & be ready to make adjustments.

Offensively, they cannot squander opportunities like the Ravens did & Andy Reid has to keep the pedal to the metal like he did against Houston until the game is sealed.

And another thing that may help is Chiefs fans CROWD NOISE. Arrowhead needs to get loud when the Defense is on the field and stay that way throughout the game.

brdempsey69
01-15-2020, 07:17 PM
Dear Andy Reid,

Play to win this Sunday for a full 4 QTR's and have this team ready right out of the gate-- unlike last year. This is your chance to show the world what a difference a year can make.

You've been in enough Conference Championship games to know that there aren't any participation trophies. There is only one trophy that is given & that is the Lamar Hunt trophy that is given to the winner of this game. That trophy that bears Lamar Hunt's name is WAY overdue to be captured by the very team that Lamar Hunt founded -- and that is your team that you now coach, the Kansas City Chiefs. That trophy should have been captured in 1997, but the HC at that time, elected to give it away and throw that opportunity down the drain. It could have been captured last year, but the opportunity was blown, and the primary culprits are no longer around.

You took a big step in the right direction last week by not letting up on the gas & going for the throat stomp when you had the chance & many Chiefs fans -- myself included -- are lauding it as being the most beautiful thing that they've ever witnessed in a Chiefs football game. Now, you've got the chance to make what happened last Sunday really count for something this Sunday. GET IT DONE !!

Eydugstr
01-15-2020, 09:29 PM
Dear Coach Reid,

Yes, this actually happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRzsU6KMFcY

Please show up to Arrowhead with a game plan that does this to the Tennessee Titans for four quarters of football. Sick of seeing us lose to the Titans.

brdempsey69
01-16-2020, 12:38 PM
Flash back to a year ago & remember that the Chiefs blew that game against the Pats in the AFCCG.

This years Chiefs team is a better team going into the AFCCG that last year, but they CANNOT shoot themselves in the foot in this years AFCCG, like they did last year & they have to come out better prepared right out of the gate this time around.

D.R.T.
01-16-2020, 03:56 PM
If we win the coin flip, we need our offense on the field first for that first strike. Can't afford to have the Titans with the ball first if possible. Make them play from behind. I still remember last year that look on our guys face when the Patriots drove the length of the field and scored first. We need to score first if given the opportunity. This is not regular season. First posession means everything in playoff football.

brdempsey69
01-16-2020, 05:23 PM
If we win the coin flip, we need our offense on the field first for that first strike. Can't afford to have the Titans with the ball first if possible. Make them play from behind. I still remember last year that look on our guys face when the Patriots drove the length of the field and scored first. We need to score first if given the opportunity. This is not regular season. First posession means everything in playoff football.

I'm on board with this, to a point, and it is because the weather conditions are going to be about identical to last years AFCCG. By the same token, this isn't going to be Tom Brady with Brady's post-season track record, so if the Titans receive the opening kickoff and score first -- that shouldn't deflate the Chiefs morale, as this is a different Chiefs team this year, and it's not as though the Chiefs haven't erased double-digit deficits before in the post-season, as they have done exactly that in their last two post-season outings, including last week.

D.R.T.
01-17-2020, 04:46 AM
Also Pat Mahomes was not very mobile in that first matchup coming off the knee and ankle injury. The Titans will have to account this time for Mahomes mobility and they can't afford to spy him.

D.R.T.
01-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Within that first matchup Chiefs @ Titans we ran the ball pretty darn well. So X- factor the one/two punch. Some soon to forget we put up a 50- burger on Houston.

brdempsey69
01-17-2020, 02:58 PM
The same words that Hank Stram told his Chiefs team in the locker room at half time of the Last AFL Championship game (score was tied at 7-7), apply to this upcoming AFC Championship game:

"Go out there and turn it on. Give it all you've got. It's in your grasp, now squeeze it"

D.R.T.
01-18-2020, 08:13 AM
STRAP UP, FOOTBALL UP, MAN UP, HEART UP. IT's TIME !!! WE REFUSE TO BE DENIED. WE WIN !!!🏆🏆🏆

brdempsey69
01-18-2020, 01:36 PM
Am I the only one that's losing sleep think about this upcoming game?

Eydugstr
01-18-2020, 01:44 PM
Am I the only one that's losing sleep think about this upcoming game?

Wouldn't say losing sleep, but definitely feeling anxious! Ready to hear that crowd do the tomahawk chop and drown out everything.

matthewschiefs
01-18-2020, 04:13 PM
Flash back to a year ago & remember that the Chiefs blew that game against the Pats in the AFCCG.

This years Chiefs team is a better team going into the AFCCG that last year, but they CANNOT shoot themselves in the foot in this years AFCCG, like they did last year & they have to come out better prepared right out of the gate this time around.

They have shown replays of last years game on NFL network this week

And MAN did we blow that game. We should be the defending champs.

Time to make it right this year LETS GO

brdempsey69
01-18-2020, 04:13 PM
They have shown replays of last years game on NFL network this week

And MAN did we blow that game. We should be the defending champs.

Time to make it right this year LETS GO

Dear Andy Reid & the rest of the Chiefs team:

Please employ basic marksmanship principles:

POINT THE GUN IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION AND SHOOT AT THE CORRECT TARGET !!

In other words, do NOT repeatedly shoot yourself in the foot in this game.

People's Exhibit's:

-Last years AFCCG. The Chiefs shot themselves in the foot with Dee Ford's offside penalty which negated what could have been a game-saving INT.

-The regular season loss to the Titan's. The Chiefs should have had that game, but they didn't get it because they shot themselves in the foot at the wrong time in the game.

-Last weeks Titans-Ravens playoff game. The Ravens had 29 first downs and 530 yards of total Offense, but only came away with 12 points because they shot themselves in the foot with 3 turnovers and 0-4 on fourth down attempts.

-Last weeks Texans-Chiefs playoff game. The Chiefs found themselves in a 24-0 hole because they had shot themselves in the foot with the dropped passes, blocked punt, etc. Fortunately, from the 2nd QTR on, the Chiefs stopped shooting themselves in foot & started shooting the Texans instead, and the result was a 51-7 landslide in the Chiefs favor from the 2nd QTR on.

Simply go there in this AFCCG and do for a full 4 QTR's, what you did in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters of last weeks playoff game:

POINT THE GUN IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION & SHOOT AT THE CORRECT TARGET !!

Enough said.

matthewschiefs
01-18-2020, 04:15 PM
Within that first matchup Chiefs @ Titans we ran the ball pretty darn well. So X- factor the one/two punch. Some soon to forget we put up a 50- burger on Houston.

We were running the ball decently in that matchup for sure. We just didn't stick with it. If we had maybe we would have been able to hold on. That's why to me the biggest thing is being a little more balanced on offense when it comes to run/pass. If we have just a little balance I really think that will go a long way towards the Chiefs getting the win and going to Miami

jason1981
01-18-2020, 05:09 PM
We just need to load the box and dare them to pass.its the time eating runs that hurt us the most. They need to just act like this will be a shootout and score another 50 points and see if titans can keep up.

brdempsey69
01-18-2020, 05:41 PM
We just need to load the box and dare them to pass.its the time eating runs that hurt us the most. They need to just act like this will be a shootout and score another 50 points and see if titans can keep up.

I can get on board with this. Tannehill hasn't passed for even 100 yards in either of the Titan's playoff games, because he hasn't had to. In the regular season meeting between the Chiefs-Titans, Tannehill was sacked 4 times on 23 passing attempts. Titans QB's were sacked 56 times in regular season. If Tannehill has to throw the ball 25 or more times, he's going to get sacked or make a mistake at some point.

New Orleans was able to come from being down 14-0 to win 38-28, and one of the primary reasons was because they sacked Tannehill 5 times at critical times.

JPPT1974
01-18-2020, 08:11 PM
Yeah as really hope that the Chiefs can bring it on. As really this Titans team is red hot. Plus having momentum can hurt a team like the Chiefs.

Eydugstr
01-18-2020, 09:57 PM
My question is, what will Vrabel bring to the playbook? He's got to know that we're going to stack the box, but at the same time it's not like he can switch gears offensively with the group he has. My gut is telling me at some point he's going to try something cute (flea flicker, fake punt, reverse, RB pass, put Mariota in and line up Tannehill etc etc) If we're able to blow up stuff like that, it's going to be a long cold day at Arrowhead for the Titans.