PDA

View Full Version : Qbotf?

hermhater
11-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Chiefs know they face a tall task

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

Quarterback Brodie Croyle will make his first career start for the Chiefs on Sunday against the defending Super Bowl champion Colts in Indianapolis.

Those who were there cannot possibly forget it.
No first-half points. No first-half first downs. An embarrassing 23-8 loss at Indianapolis in a 2006 first-round playoff game.
And that was with a Pro Bowl quarterback, a Pro Bowl running back and a Hall of Fame-bound right guard in the lineup.
Imagine how bad it might for the Chiefs on Sunday when they return to Indianapolis.
They’ll be counting on a second-year quarterback in Brodie Croyle, who will be making his first NFL start. He’ll be handing off to 34-year-old Priest Holmes, who will be making his second start after a two-year absence.
The pass protection is on pace to yield 52 sacks — the most since the Chiefs allowed 50 in 1986 — and the running game is no better, ranking 31st in the NFL.
It doesn’t help that the Super Bowl champion Colts, 7-2, are angry after two tough losses, a 24-20 defeat in a showdown against unbeaten New England two weeks ago at Indianapolis, followed by a 23-21 loss at San Diego, when future Hall of Fame kicker Adam Vinatieri inexplicably missed a 29-yard field goal in the final minute.
Little wonder the Colts are two-touchdown favorites and the choice in nearly every knockout pool in America.
“We know what we’re walking into,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. “We’re walking into an environment where these guys have lost two in a row, they’ve just won the Super Bowl, they’re nicked, they’re in a division race, and they’re going to come out firing.
“It’s good for us. I like being in these situations. You find out about your football team. You find out about your players. You can’t create these atmospheres. They just happen. How do you handle it? How are we going to handle it? If we do what we’re capable of doing, we’ll have a chance to win.
“I truly believe it. The players believe that.”
Actually, the Chiefs faced a similar situation when they carted a 1-2 record to San Diego and pounded a wounded Chargers team 30-16. San Diego, 5-4, has bounced back, winning four of five since and taking over the AFC West lead.
The Chiefs, 4-5, and without running back Larry Johnson, who is out because of a sprained foot, have lost two straight and failed to score a touchdown in last week’s loss to Denver, prompting the change from Damon Huard to Croyle.
“You watch the Kansas City Chiefs enough and you know that if Larry Johnson can’t run the football, you probably have some bigger issues,” said Cris Collinsworth, an analyst for NBC, HBO and NFL Network.
“Kansas City, especially under Herm, has gone through this whole change and metamorphosis with their offense and their defense, to where they have to be able to run the football to throw it.
“Without that blend, and it comes back to the upheaval in the offensive line that has happened over the last three or four years, the number of great players they have lost in the line, maybe we shouldn’t be expecting a whole lot more of (Croyle). In my mind, the quarterback isn’t nearly as significant as they have to find a way to get the running game going.”
The Chiefs are taking an us-against-the world mentality. They know the Colts are banged up, just lost defensive end Dwight Freeney for the season with a foot injury; could still be without star wide receiver Marvin Harrison (knee); and several other key players.
“They still have Peyton Manning, they still have Reggie Wayne … Bob Sanders on defense,” tight end Tony Gonzalez said. “They’re coming off two losses, and we’ve got to go out there?

Quarterback Brodie Croyle will make his first career start for the Chiefs on Sunday against the defending Super Bowl champion Colts in Indianapolis.
“It’s going to be tough, but if we keep our composure and don’t play outside of ourselves, we should be able to play well and keep it close in the fourth quarter like we’ve done all year, and then we’ll see what happens.”
All eyes will be on Croyle, the club’s designated quarterback of the future.
“It’s a tough position to be in, but he raised his hand to play quarterback,” Gonzalez said. “That’s the pressure that comes with the position. It’s going to show what kind of guy he is. We’re not going to ask too much of him, as far as he’s got to be a gunslinger and we have to put up 35 points. Our offense hasn’t been able to do that this year anyway. It’s about going out there and putting up points.”
Edwards believes the time is right for Croyle to take this next step.
“It’s good for him,” Edwards said. “Would you like a better scenario? Would you like him to be at home, and all that? It didn’t work out that way. That’s OK. He has to go play. Eventually he has to go play on the road.
“His adrenaline will be pumping. You might see a high ball sail into the stands.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/364942.html

timsatt1
11-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Chiefs know they face a tall task

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

Those who were there cannot possibly forget it.
No first-half points. No first-half first downs. An embarrassing 23-8 loss at Indianapolis in a 2006 first-round playoff game.
And that was with a Pro Bowl quarterback, a Pro Bowl running back and a Hall of Fame-bound right guard in the lineup.
Imagine how bad it might for the Chiefs on Sunday when they return to Indianapolis.
They’ll be counting on a second-year quarterback in Brodie Croyle, who will be making his first NFL start. He’ll be handing off to 34-year-old Priest Holmes, who will be making his second start after a two-year absence.
The pass protection is on pace to yield 52 sacks — the most since the Chiefs allowed 50 in 1986 — and the running game is no better, ranking 31st in the NFL.
It doesn’t help that the Super Bowl champion Colts, 7-2, are angry after two tough losses, a 24-20 defeat in a showdown against unbeaten New England two weeks ago at Indianapolis, followed by a 23-21 loss at San Diego, when future Hall of Fame kicker Adam Vinatieri inexplicably missed a 29-yard field goal in the final minute.
Little wonder the Colts are two-touchdown favorites and the choice in nearly every knockout pool in America.
“We know what we’re walking into,” Chiefs coach Herm Edwards said. “We’re walking into an environment where these guys have lost two in a row, they’ve just won the Super Bowl, they’re nicked, they’re in a division race, and they’re going to come out firing.
“It’s good for us. I like being in these situations. You find out about your football team. You find out about your players. You can’t create these atmospheres. They just happen. How do you handle it? How are we going to handle it? If we do what we’re capable of doing, we’ll have a chance to win.
“I truly believe it. The players believe that.”
Actually, the Chiefs faced a similar situation when they carted a 1-2 record to San Diego and pounded a wounded Chargers team 30-16. San Diego, 5-4, has bounced back, winning four of five since and taking over the AFC West lead.
The Chiefs, 4-5, and without running back Larry Johnson, who is out because of a sprained foot, have lost two straight and failed to score a touchdown in last week’s loss to Denver, prompting the change from Damon Huard to Croyle.
“You watch the Kansas City Chiefs enough and you know that if Larry Johnson can’t run the football, you probably have some bigger issues,” said Cris Collinsworth, an analyst for NBC, HBO and NFL Network.
“Kansas City, especially under Herm, has gone through this whole change and metamorphosis with their offense and their defense, to where they have to be able to run the football to throw it.
“Without that blend, and it comes back to the upheaval in the offensive line that has happened over the last three or four years, the number of great players they have lost in the line, maybe we shouldn’t be expecting a whole lot more of (Croyle). In my mind, the quarterback isn’t nearly as significant as they have to find a way to get the running game going.”
The Chiefs are taking an us-against-the world mentality. They know the Colts are banged up, just lost defensive end Dwight Freeney for the season with a foot injury; could still be without star wide receiver Marvin Harrison (knee); and several other key players.
“They still have Peyton Manning, they still have Reggie Wayne … Bob Sanders on defense,” tight end Tony Gonzalez said. “They’re coming off two losses, and we’ve got to go out there?

“It’s going to be tough, but if we keep our composure and don’t play outside of ourselves, we should be able to play well and keep it close in the fourth quarter like we’ve done all year, and then we’ll see what happens.”
All eyes will be on Croyle, the club’s designated quarterback of the future.
“It’s a tough position to be in, but he raised his hand to play quarterback,” Gonzalez said. “That’s the pressure that comes with the position. It’s going to show what kind of guy he is. We’re not going to ask too much of him, as far as he’s got to be a gunslinger and we have to put up 35 points. Our offense hasn’t been able to do that this year anyway. It’s about going out there and putting up points.”
Edwards believes the time is right for Croyle to take this next step.
“It’s good for him,” Edwards said. “Would you like a better scenario? Would you like him to be at home, and all that? It didn’t work out that way. That’s OK. He has to go play. Eventually he has to go play on the road.
“His adrenaline will be pumping. You might see a high ball sail into the stands.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/364942.html

i actually like this talk. this takes pressure off croyle. knowing his coach expects the adrenaline to be there, possibly causing mistakes. now that it is expected that he might make that mistake off too much adrenaline early, he doesnt have to stress on it. he can relax.

when i was in high school i played for a 2a school and didnt get any playing time and my coach would yank me for the littlest mistake, so i transfer my senior year to a 6a school and luckily get on varsity and on my first play ever in 6a i threw the ball away and of course expected to be subbed. well the sub horn blew and i was about to run out but turned out the guy going in wasnt going in for me.

i was so relaxed, was use to being pulled for stuff like that. i was able to play to my ability, having the coaches confidence in me and did well.

i understand the impact that coaches can have on a player, saying and doing certain things. i, as a coach, could literally make a good player a bad one, just by taking his confidence away.

but herm is doing the right thing...basically saying..its ok, you probably will throw some wild ones. well, after you do that...you are STILL our quarterback.

i cant WAIT FOR INDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then whoever else gets in our way. the season is OURS!!! with huard we KNOW we cant get past first round in playoffs...

...with brodie, we probably wont get past first round if we make playoffs....but we MIGHT get past first round.

at least brodie could give us that chance. LETS SEE WHAT HE CAN DO AS A STARTER!!! this is going to be SO FUN TO SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i will make no predictions anymore since i have been so far off.

hermhater
11-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Well I really hope that Brodie is fired up for the game and I won't b!tch if he makes a few mistakes.

As long as he and the receivers are on the same page we should be pretty dominant on offense with all of the Colts injuries on defense.

There is only one bet for the Chiefs this week and I put a big ol' chunk o' money on the Chiefs winning.

Do it for me, if for no one else, Brodie!!!!

GO CHIEFS!!!!

Chiefster
11-18-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm hoping that Croyle doesn't get a good view of the sky laying on his back all game long.

wolfpack
11-18-2007, 09:33 AM
I'm hoping that Croyle doesn't get a good view of the sky laying on his back all game long.
or our DB`S looking at the backsides of the colts receivers.

hermhater
11-18-2007, 12:10 PM
We shall see in less than an hour!!!!!

GO CHIEFS!!!!