PDA

View Full Version : Hermmie "why I Played Gutless Football"

wolfpack
11-20-2007, 01:10 AM
Edwards defends conservative approach to offense

Given any other team’s offensive players, Herm Edwards might have tried harder to match Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts point for point.

Edwards is instead coaching the Chiefs, who are doing nothing consistently well when they’ve had the ball. That being the case, Edwards defended his decisions in Sunday’s 13-10 loss, saying the considerable offensive shortcomings leave him no realistic choice but to be what most fans consider ultra-conservative.

“There’s no room for error for us,” Edwards said Monday. “We have more three-and-outs than anybody in football. We have more negative plays than anybody in football. It’s hard playing that way. You put a lot of strain on the defense. So you’re trying to protect them, too. You don’t want your defense out there the whole game.

“Do I want to play that way? Heck, no. But we have to play that way. I’m trying to play the best way for the Chiefs to win the game.”

The subject obviously frustrated Edwards, who at times raised or lower his voice to make a point. He never wavered from his stance that an inability to make yards when running the ball or adequately protect the quarterback means the Chiefs are realistically squeezing every point possible from their offense.

“You have all of these great ideas that you want to use,” Edwards said. “There are a lot of things other teams are doing that we’d like to do. But we know what we are whether we like it or not. It’s been 10 weeks. You’re not going to all of a sudden evolve into something like New England. You’ve got to do what you feel you’re capable of doing.

“You know what you’re capable of doing and at the end of the day, you’re always trying to do things the players can be successful at. You can’t do things that won’t let your players be successful. You have to take some chances once in a while. I understand that. But there are (only) certain things we’re capable of doing.

“Would we like to do some different things? Sure. But you have to play to the strengths of your players. It looks like we’re conservative at times.

“We’re doing things in a way we feel we’re capable of doing them. As a staff, we’ve been with these players every day. We coach them every day. We know what they’re capable of doing. Whether everybody else believes that, it doesn’t matter. It might look conservative, but it’s a way of playing football that gives us the best opportunity to win.”

The Chiefs may have been able to squeeze more points near the end of the first half.

They took over at their 23 with 1 minute, 15 seconds and three timeouts left. The score was 3-3.

The Chiefs ran out the clock rather than try for points. Edwards ordered quarterback Brodie Croyle to hand the ball twice to Kolby Smith, once for 4 yards and the next for 5, rather than attempt a pass.

“We decided we were going to run the ball on the first play,” Edwards said. “If we got a first down, if we got 15 yards or so, then we were going to go for it. But that didn’t happen. And at that point I didn’t want to give (the Colts) momentum. They had two timeouts left. If we had taken almost no time off the clock with three incomplete passes and then we punted, we would have given the ball back to Peyton Manning with two timeouts.

“Then they get the ball back to start the third quarter. I’m not giving them two shots at me without us having even one. That makes no sense to me. I’m looking at all of that and saying, ‘Wait a minute.’ We survived the first half.

“Yeah, I was playing it conservative at that point. I guess people think we should take a chance because we were 14-point underdogs. But I’m trying to win the game. We were backed up. It was noisy. There were too many variables in that one.

“If I’m somebody else, then maybe I do it differently. But I know what I am right now.”

Against the Colts, Croyle made his first start in place of Damon Huard. Edwards made the change in part because of Croyle’s superior passing skills.

But the Chiefs declined to use those skills. His longest completion of the game was 19 yards, not counting the lateral on the game’s last play that gave him a statistical 21-yard gain.

Edwards indicated the Chiefs might try to throw more down the field in Sunday’s game against Oakland at Arrowhead Stadium.

“(The Colts) play a lot of cover 2,” Edwards said. “They’re not going to let you throw the ball down the field. They’ve only given up 10 plays of 20 yards passing. They don’t give up those plays.

“You’ll see the ball go down the field more against Oakland because they play more man to man. If we can get some one-on-one matchups we like, we’ll do it. That’s the next thing you try to do the next six weeks. This was his first game, and we had to get a feel for him emotionally and where he’s going to be. Now we can build on that.”

(http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/postings.php?do=getip&p=4388160)

hermhater
11-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Herm is full of crap.

We have all the offensive talent we need to throw the ball deep.

The best plays we have had on offense this season (disregarding LJ's awesome screen to score down the sidlines) have been by DBo making chicken salad out of chicken sh!t.

Herm is the worst evaluator of talent I have ever seen, next to my freakin' cat who is still rootin' for Grbac to get back in the game.

These comments by Herm make my blood boil, and I am seeing red right now.

Herm gets a QB with mobility and a great arm and chooses not to use him because we have a weak line.

When you have a weak line you use the QB that can scramble.

He makes decisions seasons after he evaluates players.

I think the guy goes home and watches film of Finding Nemo, and says the next day "Yeah, I watched the film, and I liked what I saw."

chief31
11-20-2007, 02:19 AM
He has to be regretting the fact that he coached the team like a chicken-****.

The defense did play a great game, and even gave our offense a chance to beat the Colts, on the road. But Herm opted against any "chance".

Guru
11-20-2007, 03:01 AM
He has to be regretting the fact that he coached the team like a chicken-****.

The defense did play a great game, and even gave our offense a chance to beat the Colts, on the road. But Herm opted against any "chance".

You expected something more of Herm?

chief31
11-20-2007, 05:28 AM
You expected something more of Herm?

No. It is definitely possible that he has no regrets, but I cannot imagine how. But he may well be very proud of himself. :D

Guru
11-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Herm Hoovers!!!

wolfpack
11-20-2007, 10:14 AM
here`s another interesting words of BS from hermmie`s mouth over sunday`s game ``You're going in with a plan, first of all, with what you feel your players are capable of doing,'' he said. ``That's the first thing I always consider when you put a game plan together. And you try to play to the strengths of your players.``Players might think it's conservative. But at the end of the day, that's just being competitive. The players have a way of looking at things sometimes a little bit different than coaches. And that's OK,'' Edwards added. ``Offensively, we know what our strengths are, and we have to play to those strengths. And when you get away from that and you think there's something a little bit different, you get yourself in trouble.'' i cannot believe the vets on this team or the rookies believe in this crap. he should run for office,they sould the same.

McLovin
11-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Herm is full of crap.

We have all the offensive talent we need to throw the ball deep.

The best plays we have had on offense this season (disregarding LJ's awesome screen to score down the sidlines) have been by DBo making chicken salad out of chicken sh!t.

Herm is the worst evaluator of talent I have ever seen, next to my freakin' cat who is still rootin' for Grbac to get back in the game.

These comments by Herm make my blood boil, and I am seeing red right now.

Herm gets a QB with mobility and a great arm and chooses not to use him because we have a weak line.

When you have a weak line you use the QB that can scramble.

He makes decisions seasons after he evaluates players.

I think the guy goes home and watches film of Finding Nemo, and says the next day "Yeah, I watched the film, and I liked what I saw."

HERM NEEDS FIRED. GRRRRRRRRR before reading this I was starting to think a little bit of Herm, but now man am I pissed. I am starting to see why some are considering changing loyalties, I can see why Tony is pissed. This guy is an Idiot that can't see talent when it smacks him in the face.

We SHOULD have beat Indy, but Herm wouldn't let us. Problem is King Carl wont fire him, so looks like we will end up being fans of a losing team for some time. I have been a fan of mediocre teams for some time but I now am questioning if I can be a die hard.
Even bad is ok if you are trying but what Herm just said is I don't think we are good so we aren't going to try to win. Man I am so mad right now.

I just signed a petition at

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fireherm/

I would like to see a petition with tons of Chiefs fan signatures get to Clark Hunt and something to be done about this. I was thinking a lot of this was Solari before reading this but now I KNOW it is Herm. Man am I mad.

:mob:

chief31
11-20-2007, 11:49 AM
HERM NEEDS FIRED. GRRRRRRRRR before reading this I was starting to think a little bit of Herm, but now man am I pissed. I am starting to see why some are considering changing loyalties, I can see why Tony is pissed. This guy is an Idiot that can't see talent when it smacks him in the face.

We SHOULD have beat Indy, but Herm wouldn't let us. Problem is King Carl wont fire him, so looks like we will end up being fans of a losing team for some time. I have been a fan of mediocre teams for some time but I now am questioning if I can be a die hard.
Even bad is ok if you are trying but what Herm just said is I don't think we are good so we aren't going to try to win. Man I am so mad right now.

I would like to see a petition with tons of Chiefs fan signatures get to Clark Hunt and something to be done about this. I was thinking a lot of this was Solari before reading this but now I KNOW it is Herm. Man am I mad.

I agree, to an extent. I would like to see if Herm learns anything from this season. If he decides that he absolutely has to address the offensive line in a stearn manner, then I would be willing to see him back for another year. But, if he ignores the O-line again, this offseason, then I will be hostile. (Again.)

I don't know what I would do with myself if that were to happen again.

hermhater
11-20-2007, 03:34 PM

I agree, to an extent. I would like to see if Herm learns anything from this season. If he decides that he absolutely has to address the offensive line in a stearn manner, then I would be willing to see him back for another year. But, if he ignores the O-line again, this offseason, then I will be hostile. (Again.)

I don't know what I would do with myself if that were to happen again.

Man, I don't know if you guys just don't get to listen to the guy often enough, not being locals and all, but I have been listening to this crap for 2 years now.

I knew he was a terrible coach at NY but didn't pay that much attention to the guy.

He likes to say it was bad luck that he went through 5 QB's in his final season with the Jets.

It was because he plays to kill the QB!

He does not play to win the game.

I think LJ's mocking him would be relevant here more than ever!!!!!

YouTube - LJ Mocks Herm

Chiefster
11-20-2007, 03:38 PM
It is for this reason you will never EVER see a Herm Edwards coached team go to or win a Super Bowl.