PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire after another neck injury

Guru
11-20-2007, 11:43 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8046285a&template=without-video&confirm=true

Banged-up Chiefs RB Holmes expected to retire
By Adam Schefter | NFL Network

Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes is expected to retire after suffering another neck injury Sunday and meeting with doctors this week. An announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

One source familiar with the situation said Tuesday night: "He is retiring for sure. Noon press conference on Wednesday."

However, a Chiefs spokesman denied that and said that Holmes still is weighing his options.

A three-time Pro Bowler, Holmes was one of the league's top running backs from 2001-05, rushing for almost 6,000 yards and scoring a then-record 27 touchdowns in 2003. His career appeared to be over when he sustained neck and spinal injuries during a game at San Diego in October 2005 and spent the next two years completely away from the game.

But he called the Chiefs shortly before they went to training camp in July and told them he had seen himself in a dream playing football again and wanted to stage a comeback.

Holmes capped a remarkable comeback story when he was activated in Week 7 against the Oakland Raiders. Holmes made two recent starts for the Chiefs and gained 137 yards on 46 attempts in four games.

Holmes would retire as the Chiefs' all-time leading rusher with 6,070 yards. He has rushed for 8,172 yards in his 11-year career with Baltimore and Kansas City.

The Chiefs, who traded running back Michael Bennett to Tampa Bay last month and possibly lost Larry Johnson for the season with a mysterious foot injury, could turn to rookie Kolby Smith to start against the Raiders on Sunday. Smith, a fifth-round selection out of Louisville, has rushed for 19 yards on 10 attempts this season.

Chiefster
11-20-2007, 11:52 PM
I applaud his effort at a come back, but the time has finally come. IMO

hermhater
11-20-2007, 11:54 PM
I guess when I posted that thread "As if things couldn't possibly get any worse..." about LJ's broken foot, I was just asking for it.

Sigh.

Well at least we started Brodie at the beginning of the season, and now we have a veteran QB to go along with our Rookie RB.

Herm, you are worse than a bad coach, you are an offensive player killer.

chief31
11-20-2007, 11:59 PM
Yep. Too bad it didn't work-out for him. I'm glad I got to see him play again, no matter how brief.

Appearently, he wasn't just sitting at home, "eating nachos" :D for two years, because he didn't want to play. Seems he had some kind of a real injury.

Sounds like he is going to be ok though.

hermhater
11-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Yep. Too bad it didn't work-out for him. I'm glad I got to see him play again, no matter how brief.

Appearently, he wasn't just sitting at home, "eating nachos" :D for two years, because he didn't want to play. Seems he had some kind of a real injury.

Sounds like he is going to be ok though.

He looked a little woozy going off the field.

As long as he takes it easy from here on out he should recover fully.

Thanks for always being a Chief first Priest!

:sign0098:

timsatt1
11-21-2007, 12:10 AM
maybe he is just really smart and realized he could make some more millions by playing a couple more games.

...or did he make more money by coming back?
not sure what his contract was.

McLovin
11-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Realistically Herm, Priest or whoever decided that it was a good idea to trade Bennett because Priest was coming back screwed the Chiefs. I was happy to see Priest try to come back, but I also was scared this time would come. I feel that now maybe he should not have come back, he left before because of an injury but he left at the top of his game, now that he came back and had limited success his final two games, he kinda went out worse then before.

I hope Kolby Smith can step up, but it really doesn't matter at this point it seems the season is really over. Without a running back with any experience whatsoever this team is screwed. And now to add to that Croyle is going to look bad because he is going to have to throw much much more, maybe we can get Ricky Williams, regardless this is far worse news then losing Eddie Kennison at the beginning of the season. If Priest went out while LJ was healthy then it would be another story, but if LJ cant go and Priest retires. Man this sucks. Also without a running back to speak of Herm will be able to play the its not my fault card to keep his job. Hope Priest isnt hurt to bad but man this team is.
I am going to call it right now, if Priest retires and LJ stays out, and the Chiefs win the division without picking up a running back then truly Herm would be coach of the year. How are you guys that were happy LJ was injured feeling now.

4th Pick in the draft could be a possibility now. Kansas City You are on the clock.

Chiefster
11-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Realistically Herm, Priest or whoever decided that it was a good idea to trade Bennett because Priest was coming back screwed the Chiefs. I was happy to see Priest try to come back, but I also was scared this time would come. I feel that now maybe he should not have come back, he left before because of an injury but he left at the top of his game, now that he came back and had limited success his final two games, he kinda went out worse then before.

I hope Kolby Smith can step up, but it really doesn't matter at this point it seems the season is really over. Without a running back with any experience whatsoever this team is screwed. And now to add to that Croyle is going to look bad because he is going to have to throw much much more, maybe we can get Ricky Williams, regardless this is far worse news then losing Eddie Kennison at the beginning of the season. If Priest went out while LJ was healthy then it would be another story, but if LJ cant go and Priest retires. Man this sucks. Also without a running back to speak of Herm will be able to play the its not my fault card to keep his job. Hope Priest isnt hurt to bad but man this team is.
I am going to call it right now, if Priest retires and LJ stays out, and the Chiefs win the division without picking up a running back then truly Herm would be coach of the year. How are you guys that were happy LJ was injured feeling now.

4th Pick in the draft could be a possibility now. Kansas City You are on the clock.

My thinking as well.

Canada
11-21-2007, 12:32 AM

Let it go man.

hermhater
11-21-2007, 12:33 AM

I don't think any Coach who calls game plans that continually injures his offensive players can be anything but a failure.

Even if we do squeak out this division.

I still think the AFC West is the second most competitive division in the NFL though.

With Herm here it looks worse, but if you take a look at the talent you will see that I speak wisely.

hermhater
11-21-2007, 12:33 AM
Let it go man.

You let it go!

:drunkhb:

Canada
11-21-2007, 12:34 AM
You let it go!

Make me

Chiefster
11-21-2007, 12:40 AM
You let it go!

Make me

YouTube - Babies fighting over toys

hermhater
11-21-2007, 12:42 AM
YouTube - Babies fighting over toys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6IM1qkFMY&feature=related)

Oh my god dude, I pissed myself a little!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chiefster
11-21-2007, 12:44 AM
Oh my god dude, I pissed myself a little!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol:

This should help...

McLovin
11-21-2007, 12:51 AM
All I saw is a couple wusses, neither baby threw a punch, ohhh and I also saw two kids where their parents should be deported, If you are in the US the language here is ENGLISH, learn it, live it USE it. If not GO HOME. And if they were not in the US then good job stay where you are.

Chiefster
11-21-2007, 12:54 AM
All I saw is a couple wusses, neither baby threw a punch, ohhh and I also saw two kids where their parents should be deported, If you are in the US the language here is ENGLISH, learn it, live it USE it. If not GO HOME. And if they were not in the US then good job stay where you are.

You missed the point; neither baby was willing to "let it go". :p

McLovin
11-21-2007, 01:00 AM
You missed the point; neither baby was willing to "let it go". :p
No the point I saw is that Herm trained those babies, neither of them was willing to fight for what they wanted, they would just try to take it back after losing it. First time one of them got smacked in the nose while trying to take it the whole thing is over, but they are too nice.

hermhater
11-21-2007, 01:05 AM
Let it go man.

You let it go!

Make me

YouTube - Babies fighting over toys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI6IM1qkFMY&feature=related)

No the point I saw is that Herm trained those babies, neither of them was willing to fight for what they wanted, they would just try to take it back after losing it. First time one of them got smacked in the nose while trying to take it the whole thing is over, but they are too nice.

Are you trying to tell me to hit Canada in the nose?

Cuz if you are, I will get up on a chair and freakin' do it!!!!

Chiefster
11-21-2007, 01:07 AM

Then for your next imitation: Jesse Owens.

hermhater
11-21-2007, 01:09 AM

Then for your next imitation: Jesse Owens.

:sign0153:

McLovin
11-21-2007, 01:11 AM

Nope I would never advise anyone to commit suicide. I wouldnt even have suggested you post a threat to Canada, although now if you make it to Thanksgiving you will have yet another thing to be Thankful for.

Chiefster
11-21-2007, 01:22 AM
:sign0153:

...Never heard of Jesse Owens???

Canada
11-21-2007, 01:37 AM

I can read the headstone now....Here lies HermHater...he punched Canada

chief31
11-21-2007, 01:45 AM
maybe he is just really smart and realized he could make some more millions by playing a couple more games.

...or did he make more money by coming back?
not sure what his contract was.

I believe he was getting paid the same either way.

hermhater
11-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Nope I would never advise anyone to commit suicide. I wouldnt even have suggested you post a threat to Canada, although now if you make it to Thanksgiving you will have yet another thing to be Thankful for.

I can read the headstone now....
Canada FEARS ME!!!!
...he punched Canada http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/redbar/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=49210)
Canada FEARS ME!!!!

Canada
11-21-2007, 02:22 AM
Canada FEARS ME!!!!

Only cause i think you might try to "touch" me if I fall asleep.

hermhater
11-21-2007, 02:27 AM

Beware my CAT!!!!

Polleo Pit Man
11-21-2007, 02:43 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8046285a&template=without-video&confirm=true

Kansas City Chiefs running back Priest Holmes is expected to retire after suffering another neck injury Sunday and meeting with doctors this week. An announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

One source familiar with the situation said Tuesday night: "He is retiring for sure. Noon press conference on Wednesday."

However, a Chiefs spokesman denied that and said that Holmes still is weighing his options.

A three-time Pro Bowler, Holmes was one of the league's top running backs from 2001-05, rushing for almost 6,000 yards and scoring a then-record 27 touchdowns in 2003. His career appeared to be over when he sustained neck and spinal injuries during a game at San Diego in October 2005 and spent the next two years completely away from the game.

But he called the Chiefs shortly before they went to training camp in July and told them he had seen himself in a dream playing football again and wanted to stage a comeback.

Holmes capped a remarkable comeback story when he was activated in Week 7 against the Oakland Raiders. Holmes made two recent starts for the Chiefs and gained 137 yards on 46 attempts in four games.

Holmes would retire as the Chiefs' all-time leading rusher with 6,070 yards. He has rushed for 8,172 yards in his 11-year career with Baltimore and Kansas City.

The Chiefs, who traded running back Michael Bennett to Tampa Bay last month and possibly lost Larry Johnson for the season with a mysterious foot injury, could turn to rookie Kolby Smith to start against the Raiders on Sunday. Smith, a fifth-round selection out of Louisville, has rushed for 19 yards on 10 attempts this season.
BAD NEW DONKEY!

Polleo Pit Man
11-21-2007, 02:52 AM
BAD NEW DONKEY!Originally Posted by Guru http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=49140#post49140)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8046285a&template=without-video&confirm=true)

Polleo Pit Man
11-21-2007, 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by Guru http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=49140#post49140)
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8046285a&template=without-video&confirm=true)

Originally Posted by Guru http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/redbar/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=49140#post49140)

what the heck?

luv
11-21-2007, 03:11 AM

I don't believe you even get a draft pick if a player dies. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, because I'm not sure. If that's the case, how would we get a draft pick for someone retiring?

One question I do have, though. LJ is injured. Priest is retiring. Smith is starting. Who's our backup?

Three7s
11-21-2007, 04:08 AM
We'll probably just throw someone in if Kolby gets injured.

peekaboo224
11-21-2007, 06:27 AM
It's sad that Priest got hurt again and will have to retire. I'm glad to see him attempt to make a comeback and at least try. You have to give him credit for taking such a big risk. But it is probably best for him to leave now so he doesn't get injured to the point where he could be paralyzed. Thanks for the memories Priest.

That Michael Vick pic is a classic.

McLovin
11-21-2007, 08:29 AM
I don't believe you even get a draft pick if a player dies. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, because I'm not sure. If that's the case, how would we get a draft pick for someone retiring?

One question I do have, though. LJ is injured. Priest is retiring. Smith is starting. Who's our backup?

No I was saying that it is likely that we will now have the 4th worst record in the league. Miami isn't going to win 4, Jets may not either right now they are 2-8 but the do play us later this year. Raiders - Rams - San Fran all also 2-8, Raiders we play this week but they may not win another one, and dont know about Rams and San Fran. Falcons are at 3-7, as are the Bungles. I dont know about ATL but I would imagine that the Bungles will win at least a couple more. If we hit the skids now and dont win again, (which where I am right now I am predicting and I dont like it here) I am thinking it is possible that we end up with the 4th pick.

Problem is there are so many very bad teams we might still end up with a 7 or lower pick. With that I am saying Kansas City You are on the clock.

McLovin
11-21-2007, 08:40 AM
We dont even have a running back on the practice squad. Looks like we put all our eggs in the Priest Holmes basket, and now that basket has been destroyed, and the eggs along with it. Chiefs I would like you to meet Ben Dover.

McLovin
11-21-2007, 08:43 AM
We do have a fullback on the practice squad that has been a tailback some and has some catches. Also we could put Drummond in there, HA HA HA. Why is it raining in our house on Raiders week. It never rains on Raiders week. But it is pouring now.

timsatt1
11-21-2007, 01:45 PM
We do have a fullback on the practice squad that has been a tailback some and has some catches. Also we could put Drummond in there, HA HA HA. Why is it raining in our house on Raiders week. It never rains on Raiders week. But it is pouring now.

who was that running back that played for the packers last year when all their runningbacks were injured? yeah, we will probably pick up that guy. he is terrible.

greg3564
11-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Well this certainly is a crappy end to the season. Both star RB's out. I don't think LJ is coming back this season. His injury is worse than they are letting on. Plus, they should just keep him out to fully recover for next season. This season is over folks. No running game and a head coach who won't let his QB throw. This blows! My new season prediction is 6-10.

Chiefster
11-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Well this certainly is a crappy end to the season. Both star RB's out. I don't think LJ is coming back this season. His injury is worse than they are letting on. Plus, they should just keep him out to fully recover for next season. This season is over folks. No running game and a head coach who won't let his QB throw. This blows! My new season prediction is 6-10.

Mine: 4-12

sling58
11-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Posted: 6 minutes ago
Three-time Pro Bowl running back Holmes retires from NFL

Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Priest Holmes (http://www.nfl.com/players/priestholmes/profile?id=HOL627237) retired on Wednesday, ending a short comeback hailed as one of the most improbable in NFL history.
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2007/11/196.jpgJamie Squire / Getty ImagesPriest Holmes played in four games in his return to the Chiefs, making two starts.
The 34-year-old three-time Pro Bowl running back was injured in Kansas City's loss to Indianapolis on Sunday. He was out of football for 22 months after sustaining head and neck injuries in a game in October 2005. But he showed up in the Chiefs' training camp in July saying he had seen himself in a dream playing football.
"I have truly been blessed with the opportunity to play in the National Football League," he said. "I will be forever grateful to the Hunt family and the Chiefs organization for the opportunity to come to Kansas City, where the community embraced me from day one."
Working hard to get back in shape, Holmes started the last two games in place of Larry Johnson, who will be out again this week with a foot injury. Kolby Smith (http://www.nfl.com/players/kolbysmith/profile?id=SMI462984), a rookie who has only a few carries this year, will likely start for the Chiefs (4-6) against Oakland.
The team announced Holmes' retirement in a statement before a planned news conference.
"In the business of the NFL we are privileged to sometimes be in the presence of a magnificent athlete," Chiefs President Carl Peterson stated. “We’re also privileged to sometimes be in the presence of a magnificent person. Priest Holmes exemplifies both individuals. Priest has given this organization all he could possibly give. He has been an outstanding player, teammate and contributor on and off the field. Thank you is never enough to a player like Priest Holmes. We, at the Chiefs, sincerely appreciate all his contributions to this franchise and wish he and his family the best. Priest Holmes will always be a Kansas City Chief."
Holmes is the Chiefs' all-time rushing leader with 6,070 yards and accumulated 8,172 career yards rushing in 11 seasons with Baltimore and Kansas City.
Holmes' was The Associated Press offensive player of the year after rushing for 1,615 yards in just 14 games in 2002. In one season, he set the then-NFL record with 27 touchdowns. The mark has since been broken.
Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Chiefster
11-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the memories Priest!

kcchiefsfan
11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
I wondered about him after he received his original injury, wondering if he would ever come back.. It's too bad, he's such a great RB.

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
11-21-2007, 03:36 PM
WE NEVER HAD A RUNNIG GAME THIS YEAR SO NO LOSS IN MY EYES THERE. BUT THE LOSS OF PRIEST IS A BIG LOSS BECAUSE OF THEY TYPE OF PLAYER THAT HE WAS VS LJ ****Y ATTITUDE. THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES PRIEST!

Chiefster
11-21-2007, 03:57 PM
WE NEVER HAD A RUNNIG GAME THIS YEAR SO NO LOSS IN MY EYES THERE. BUT THE LOSS OF PRIEST IS A BIG LOSS BECAUSE OF THEY TYPE OF PLAYER THAT HE WAS VS LJ ****Y ATTITUDE. THANK YOU FOR THE MEMORIES PRIEST!

Your sig is hilarious! :lol:

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! MY EYES!

Chiefster
11-21-2007, 03:59 PM
RB Priest Holmes Concludes Record-Setting NFL Career

Nov 21, 2007, 12:18:00 PM

Holmes officially announced his retirement from the National Football League on Wednesday. Holmes concludes his illustrious playing career owning nine Chiefs career records and eight Chiefs single-season records. Arguably the most productive all-around offensive performer in the 48-year history of the franchise, Holmes walks away from the game as Kansas City’s all-time leader in rushing yards (6,070), rushing touchdowns (76) and total touchdowns (83). Holmes accumulated 8,172 career rushing yards in 11 seasons with Baltimore (’97-00) and Kansas City (2001-07), the highest total by any undrafted player since the AFL-NFL merger.
“I have truly been blessed with the opportunity to play in the National Football League,” Holmes commented. “I will be forever grateful to the Hunt Family and the Chiefs organization for the opportunity to come to Kansas City, where the community embraced me from day one. I have been humbled by the tremendous support that I have received from Chiefs fans over the years. I was grateful to be part of a Super Bowl team in Baltimore, but I will always fondly remember my time in Kansas City and the many great players and coaches that provided me an opportunity to be successful.”
“In the business of the NFL we are privileged to sometimes be in the presence of a magnificent athlete,” Chiefs President Carl Peterson stated. “We’re also privileged to sometimes be in the presence of a magnificent person. Priest Holmes exemplifies both individuals. Priest has given this organization all he could possibly give. He has been an outstanding player, teammate and contributor on and off the field. Thank you is never enough to a player like Priest Holmes. We, at the Chiefs, sincerely appreciate all his contributions to this franchise and wish he and his family the best. Priest Holmes will always be a Kansas City Chief.”
Holmes played in 65 regular season games with 63 starts for Kansas City. He was named the NFL Offensive Player of the Year by the Associated Press after producing 1,615 rushing yards in just 14 games in 2002. Holmes became just the third Chiefs player to lead the league in rushing when he racked up 1,555 yards during his debut campaign with Kansas City in 2001. In addition to his rushing exploits, Holmes also caught 246 passes for 2,360 yards (9.6 avg.) with seven TDs. He ranks first in team history with 1,521 touches from scrimmage and is second in team annals with 24 career 100-yard rushing games. He also started a postseason contest vs. Indianapolis (1/11/04), rushing 24 times and setting Chiefs single-game postseason records with 176 yards and two TDs. He finished the day with 208 combined net yards from scrimmage, the third-highest tally in Chiefs postseason history.
Since joining the Chiefs as an unrestricted free agent in 2001, Holmes averaged a league-high 130.0 scrimmage yards per game and ranked second in the NFL by averaging 93.4 rushing yards per game. Holmes scored 83 touchdowns since 2001-05, the second-highest total in the NFL during that time span. He scored 62 rushing touchdowns from 2002-04, the second-best three-year total in NFL history. Holmes owns a host of Chiefs single-season records, including marks for points (162 in 2003), receptions by a running back (74 in 2003) and yards from scrimmage (2,287 in 2002).
In total, Holmes saw action in 113 career regular season games (82 starts) with Baltimore (’97-00) and Kansas City (2001-07), carrying the ball 1,780 times for 8,172 yards (4.6 avg.) with 86 TDs and caught 339 passes for 2,962 yards (8.7 avg.) with eight scores. Holmes also saw duty in five playoff contests (two starts), rushing 42 times for 221 yards (5.3 avg.) with two TDs and captained a Baltimore squad that captured a victory in Super Bowl XXXV vs. the N.Y. Giants.
Holmes entered the league as a rookie free agent with Baltimore in ‘97 after a stellar collegiate career at the University of Texas. The San Antonio prep product was recently enshrined in the University of Texas Hall of Honor earlier this year after registering 252 carries for 1,276 yards (5.1 avg.) with 20 TDs during his career with the Longhorns. He enrolled at Texas after starring at Marshall High School in San Antonio.
Related:
Priest Holmes Photo Gallery (http://www.kcchiefs.com/gallery/2007/11/21/priest_holmes/)
Priest Holmes Career (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/11/21/priest_holmes_career_s/)
Career Retrospective (http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/misc/holmes_career_recap.pdf) (PDF)

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/11/21/rb_priest_holmes_concludes_recordsetting_nfl_caree r/

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
11-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Your sig is hilarious! :lol:

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! MY EYES!Im a Chubby chaser...lol gotta love the faderetts!

Canada
11-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Im a Chubby chaser...lol gotta love the faderetts!

Heh....I thought that was Warren Sapp :fatlock:

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
11-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I was just looking at some pics and priest was a WORK HORSE!!! What a Class act he was. I was thinking to myself and saying i never heard him complain and not once did i ever see him get mad and throw the ball..LJ TAKE SOME NOTES!!! Heres the link i was looking at. im not smart enough to figure out how to put them on here so here it is http://www.kcchiefs.com/gallery/2007/11/21/priest_holmes/2

Chiefster
11-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Yes Priest is a class act.

timsatt1
11-21-2007, 05:34 PM
I was just looking at some pics and priest was a WORK HORSE!!! What a Class act he was. I was thinking to myself and saying i never heard him complain and not once did i ever see him get mad and throw the ball..LJ TAKE SOME NOTES!!! Heres the link i was looking at. im not smart enough to figure out how to put them on here so here it is http://www.kcchiefs.com/gallery/2007/11/21/priest_holmes/2

i agree. it is always great to see amazing athletes that are humble at the same time.

too many of them get caught up in the hype and think they are God's gift to the earth. (LJ :) )

thanks priest for all the years of entertainmnet you provided me!! I will always miss you, trent green and tony G at the height of that Chiefs team. They were a fun bunch to watch.

sorry you have to watch this same crap that we see every week now under Hitler's reign AKA Herman Edwards.

Polleo Pit Man
11-21-2007, 09:34 PM
GRETZ: A Thankful Priest

Nov 21, 2007, 3:54:59 PM by Bob Gretz (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/bob_gretz/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/19/bob_gretz_faq/)

So they finally found three guys who could stop Priest Holmes and his football career.
Not three guys really. Three kids.
There was great significance that as he announced his retirement from football Wednesday afternoon at Arrowhead Stadium, Priest Holmes was joined by his three sons. De’Andre who is 14 years old, nine-year old Jekovan and Corion who is five.
They did what the NFL and a legion of naysayers could not do over the last dozen years: they stopped Priest Holmes in his tracks.
“We are just one day away from Thanksgiving,” Holmes said. “Keeping that in mind, I sit her amongst my sons … and there is just so much more that I’ve been given in opportunity and so much more life that I have to experience and at this time I’m announcing my retirement from the NFL.”
Several times in his remarks and in answers to questions he referred to his sons. What became very clear is this: Priest Holmes wants to be able to years from now throw the football around with his kids, and his grand children and maybe even the great-grand children.
To play football any longer would have put those opportunities in peril. During Sunday’s game in Indianapolis, Holmes began to feel some of the same sensations that plagued him more than two years ago. He wouldn’t go into any detail, but there’s no question what he was feeling scared him. It certainly alarmed the Chiefs.
Holmes had made a deal with the Chiefs in his comeback that if he suffered any type of reaction to physical contact, he would tell them. There was no hiding what he was feeling on Sunday, whether physically or emotionally.
When he met with the doctors on Monday and found that there was nothing more in the way of protection that could be provided to him with his helmet and shoulder pads, Holmes knew what he had to do. Those three boys left him with no other decision.
“Football will always be part of me,” Holmes said afterwards. “I’m from Texas; we are born with that in our blood. But my future in football will be in helping and watching my sons play the game, or do whatever they choose to do.”
Holmes had beaten the odds so many times. It started in college, after he blew out his knee at Texas. Then there was Baltimore where they signed him as a rookie free agent and then let him escape because they had a No. 1 draft choice in Jamal Lewis who they wanted to make their feature back. Lewis had a big year in 2003 but he would eventually serve time in prison and would be injury prone.
He beat the odds when he joined the Chiefs. He showed up as a nobody, barely noticed was his signing in free agency. All he did was become the engine of the Flying Vermeil offense, scoring touchdown after touchdown, setting records and becoming the franchise’s all-time leading rusher.
And Holmes beat the odds after Shawne Merriman’s hit in October of 2005 left him in physical limbo for nearly two years. He returned this year, worked with the same type of vigor and dedication that he’s always shown and he returned to the field and displayed again that he’s one of those remarkable people that populate our world of fun and games.
Right now, it’s time for Holmes to quit playing the odds. Every pro football player must come to deal with the knowledge that they are one play away from devastation every time they step on the field.
Priest Holmes not only knows that, he’s physically felt it.
The future with De’Andre, Jekovan and Corion was much more important than another game, another carry, another hit.

Polleo Pit Man
11-21-2007, 09:44 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/• Three-time Pro Bowl running back enjoyed a stellar seven-year run with Kansas City from 2001-07 after signing with the Chiefs on April 21, 2001.

• Produced 1,780 carries for 8,172 yards (4.6 avg.) with 86 TDs, as well as 339 receptions for 2,962 yards (8.7 avg.) and eight TDs over his 11-year NFL career.

• During his 65 regular season games (63 starts) in a Kansas City uniform established nine different Chiefs career records, including marks for rushing yards (6,070), total TDs (83) and rushing TDs (76).

• Also holds eight different Kansas City single-season records including marks for points (162 in 2003), receptions by a running back (74 in 2003) and yards from scrimmage (2,287 in 2002).

• His 8,172 rushing yards are the most by any undrafted player since the AFL-NFL merger.

• Piled up 500 points with the Chiefs, the third-highest tally in team history.

• Registered 66 total TDs over a three-year period from 2002-04, the second-highest total in NFL history over a three-year span.

• His 48 rushing TDs from 2002-03 established the best two-year total in league annals in that category.

• Ranks 14th in NFL lore with 86 career rushing TDs.

• Registered three or more rushing TDs in nine games during his NFL career, just one shy of the league mark held by Hall of Fame RB Jim Brown (10).

• Ranks fourth in team history among running backs with 2,377 receiving yards, only 453 yards short of FB Kimble Anders’ team record (2,829).

• Stands second in Kansas City history with 8,447 yards from scrimmage, a mark he held until TE Tony Gonzalez (9,414) overtook him in 2006.

• From 2001-06, no running back in the league averaged more yards from scrimmage per game than Holmes (136.0) or rushing yards per game (97.3).

• Racked up a franchise-record 2,287 yards from scrimmage in 2002 alone, the ninth-highest seasonal mark in NFL history.

• Owns 31 career regular season 100-yard rushing games, including 24 with KC, a mark that ranks second in Chiefs history behind RB Larry Johnson.

• Ranks 35th on the NFL’s all-time rushing yardage chart with 8,172 yards.

• Became the only player in Chiefs history to compile three or more 1,000-yard rushing campaigns, when he topped the mark in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

• Piled up 1,420 rushing yards in 2003 after setting a franchise record and earning NFL Offensive Player of the Year honors from the Associated Press with a 1,615-yard effort in just 14 games in 2002.

• Led the NFL in rushing with 1,555 yards in 2001.

• Owns Chiefs records for rushes of 10+ yards in a career (190), season (53 in 2002) and game (10 at Oakland 12/9/01).

• Is the only player in franchise annals to register two 100-yard double-doubles (100 yards rushing and 100 yards receiving).

• Registered five career 100-yard receiving games in a KC uniform.

• Set a KC single-season record for RBs with 74 catches for 690 yards in ‘03.

• A former rookie free agent with Baltimore, Holmes became the first Ravens runner to ever post a 1,000-yard season with 1,008 yards in ‘98.

• Earned a Super Bowl XXXV ring with Baltimore in 2000.

• Was named AFC Offensive Player of the Week six times, getting that honor five times with the Chiefs and once with the Ravens.

• Named AFC Offensive Player of the Month in October of 2002 and 2004.

• Played in five postseason games (two starts), amassing 42 carries for 221 yards (5.3 avg.) with two TDs.

• Saw action in four postseason games with the Ravens including a start in Super Bowl XXXV vs. the N.Y. Giants (1/28/01).

springchief
11-21-2007, 11:16 PM
I have been out of the loop the past few days - 2 sick kids, sick husband, HUGE event at work... and I did NOT know about Priest's retirement until I read it minutes ago on here.

I just don't know what to say. I am sooooooooooo sad.

I know I started the thread about being happy that LJ is on the sidelines and honestly, my feeling has not changed just because of Priest's retirement.

I think that LJ WANTS the respect that people give to Priest, but he hasn't earned it... at least not yet. Success is not measured by ONE GOOD YEAR. It is measured by a CAREER of great playing and giving yourself for the betterment of the TEAM. LJ sure aint about TEAM; he is about LJ.

If we lose every game and LJ pulls his head outta his butt and realizes how FORTUNATE he is to get PAID (and quite nicely) to play his favorite game, and comes out next year fired up then it is worth it. I just can't handle anymore whining from him.

He gets another chance to play, Priest doesn't. He needs to realize how fortunate he is.

By the way, I didn't have time to read alllll the posts on this, so forgive me if I am repeating someone else's points.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!!!!!
Cindy

Canada
11-21-2007, 11:20 PM
Good Post Cindy and Happy Thanksgiving to you too!!

springchief
11-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks Canada, BTW - is that YOU in your avatar?
Just curious...
Oh - and if you are in Canada - you don't celebrate Thanksgiving, right!? :lol:

Canada
11-21-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks Canada, BTW - is that YOU in your avatar?
Just curious...
Oh - and if you are in Canada - you don't celebrate Thanksgiving, right!? :lol:

Yes that is me and our Thanksgiving is in October!! The government is thinking about having Christmas next year!! :bananen_smilies046:

springchief
11-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Yes that is me and our Thanksgiving is in October!! The government is thinking about having Christmas next year!! :bananen_smilies046:

:funnypost:
OK, fine then, I hope you HAD a great Thanksgiving!! :D

PS Bald is beautiful!!

Canada
11-21-2007, 11:44 PM
:funnypost:
OK, fine then, I hope you HAD a great Thanksgiving!! :D

PS Bald is beautiful!!

Thank you very much...and it is down to the wood baby!! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
11-22-2007, 12:30 AM
Priest is doing the smart thing here I think; he's walking away from the game with dignity.

Polleo Pit Man
11-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Priest is doing the smart thing here I think; he's walking away from the game with dignity.
I agree, he has a family to think about!

Chiefster
11-22-2007, 12:33 AM
...Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!!!!!!!
Cindy

Back at ya kiddo!

hermhater
11-22-2007, 12:46 AM

After being away all day and coming back to read these posts I am disgusted.

This is the first word of sanity I have heard all day.

So every one is giving up on the Chiefs?

Perhaps this situation will force Herm to throw the ball to DBo and TG more often.

Then it will open the running game for any ol' back.

If he doesn't do that he (probably already is) be the laughing stock of his profession.

Surprise Herm destroyed another offensive players career.

Canada
11-22-2007, 12:49 AM

Perhaps this situation will force Herm to throw the ball to DBo and TG more often.

If he doesn't do that he (probably already is) be the laughing stock of his profession.

Not everyone has given up. I'm still here!! We are only one game out of first. Kolby can run or he wouldn't be here. Lets wee what all these rookies can do!! The NFL Rookie of the week contest is gonna be filled with Chiefs next week!!

Brodie Croyle 351 yards 2 td's
D Bowe 200+ yards receiving 1 td
Kolby Smith 158 yards rushing 1 td

all led be hall of famer Tony Gonzalez. Don't forget to save this post boys and girls!! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
11-22-2007, 12:49 AM
I agree, he has a family to think about!

Exactly!

McLovin
11-22-2007, 12:54 AM
I agree he has family to think of, my biggest problem is he did this a few games too late. He had to have known he was not 100% but he either for the money, because of LJ's attitude or some other unknown reason felt he had to come back, now because of that Bennett is in Miami and the Chiefs have no running back, 10 attempts 19 yards is not a starter.

Chiefster
11-22-2007, 12:55 AM

Not everyone has given up. I'm still here!! We are only one game out of first. Kolby can run or he wouldn't be here. Lets wee what all these rookies can do!! The NFL Rookie of the week contest is gonna be filled with Chiefs next week!!

Brodie Croyle 351 yards 2 td's
D Bowe 200+ yards receiving 1 td
Kolby Smith 158 yards rushing 1 td

all led be hall of famer Tony Gonzalez. Don't forget to save this post boys and girls!! :bananen_smilies046:

This would be nice indeed; I for one would be more then happy to, once again, dine on crow.

springchief
11-22-2007, 12:55 AM

I'm not... I am a hopeless romantic and each week I still get my hopes up that SOMETHING miraculous will happen and the Chiefs will end up in the play offs and get on a roll and make it to the Super Bowl.

I am the person who made a deal with my husband last year mid-season that we would pull all of the money out of our kids' college accounts if the Super Bowl ended up being Bears vs Chiefs and buy tickets to the Super Bowl. The Bears held up their end of the deal, but the Chiefs did their usual choking in the playoffs and once again the kids' college savings accounts are safe! :D
Maybe this year is the year that the kids will need to start planning to pay their own way to college! Quite romantic of me, dontcha think?

Canada
11-22-2007, 01:01 AM
I agree he has family to think of, my biggest problem is he did this a few games too late. He had to have known he was not 100% but he either for the money, because of LJ's attitude or some other unknown reason felt he had to come back, now because of that Bennett is in Miami and the Chiefs have no running back, 10 attempts 19 yards is not a starter.

First....do you honestly think that Priest planned on this happening?? Did he all of a sudden decide this was the best way to screw the organization??

Second...would LJ be healthy if Priest had not returned. Would you be happy with Bennet as the started instead of in Tampa Bay?? For a guy who wanted a rookie QB in for experience, u are singin a different tune with our RB. Bennet is the Huard at RB

Third....10 attempts 19 yards is a starter on this team. Look at Priest, Lj and anyone else who starts behind this line. No one is putting up great numbers and you think that Kolby has had a chance carrying the ball 10 times. Maybe he needs the contact for a few plays before he puts up big runs. Give the kid a chance before you get down on him.

Polleo Pit Man
11-22-2007, 01:02 AM
No givin up here bud!

Polleo Pit Man
11-22-2007, 01:03 AM
First....do you honestly think that Priest planned on this happening?? Did he all of a sudden decide this was the best way to screw the organization??

Second...would LJ be healthy if Priest had not returned. Would you be happy with Bennet as the started instead of in Tampa Bay?? For a guy who wanted a rookie QB in for experience, u are singin a different tune with our RB. Bennet is the Huard at RB

Third....10 attempts 19 yards is a starter on this team. Look at Priest, Lj and anyone else who starts behind this line. No one is putting up great numbers and you think that Kolby has had a chance carrying the ball 10 times. Maybe he needs the contact for a few plays before he puts up big runs. Give the kid a chance before you get down on him.
GO KOLBY!

McLovin
11-22-2007, 01:13 AM

Really Im not down on the kid, but I hate that he is all we have, what happens if he gets hurt, or winded man the poor kid hasn't even had good fill in time now he is it. There is no one to spell him, and he is getting thrown to the wolves.
BTW Croyle is not a rookie, this is his second or third year, and he is the future of the Chiefs, QB is the single most important position on the field, but it relies heavily on the running back, without a running back with some game experience Croyle is going to get killed on top of this.

I hope Kolby can come in and save the season, and maybe that everyone is going to gameplan for the pass and completely overlook the running game will help him. I just dont know, and multiple times I have made the mistake of saying bennett went to Miami when in fact it was Tampa, but at the time we traded him to Tampa, Tampa felt it was decimated and they had far more depth then we do now.

Right now is the Chiefs Worst Case Scenerio. If Sperm had no faith in this team before he is going to have them take a knee ever series. Then hope the D scores.

Overall I am just in a very bad place right now. Teams pick up free agents to fill in while the star is out, and for the first time since I became a Chiefs fan I am thinking of getting a Free Agent team to root for (while still watching the Chiefs.) until Sperm leaves. Right now I cant even bring myself to bet arrowcash on the Chiefs and that isnt real. I have never been so afraid of a Sunday in the entire time I have been a fan. I am scared to death and we are playing the Raiders, I repeat, the Raiders. I should be scared if we were going to play the Pats, or maybe last week against the Colts. But never the Raiders.

Man I hope that the remaining players gel and get me down off the roof. Im about to jump and I dont want to die.

Canada
11-22-2007, 01:19 AM
Well, good luck with your "other team" I only get 16 Chiefs games a year (plus playoffs) and I tryly believe that they will win every one of them. Hope you find a way to enjoy the rest of the season. I already have.

Guru
11-22-2007, 02:04 AM
We dont even have a running back on the practice squad. Looks like we put all our eggs in the Priest Holmes basket, and now that basket has been destroyed, and the eggs along with it. Chiefs I would like you to meet Ben Dover.

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://www.sptimes.com/2006/06/25/images/fletch.jpg&usg=AFQjCNE4gAYUNBSiKmeYk1YeovZXQOc-rw

hermhater
11-22-2007, 04:49 AM

I haven't read any of the posts in this thread for a while, but I guarantee you those opinions are all wrong.

The first two are obviously wrong, and the third: HERM!

:mob:

Guru
11-22-2007, 04:57 AM
I haven't read any of the posts in this thread for a while, but I guarantee you those opinions are all wrong.

The first two are obviously wrong, and the third: HERM!

:mob:

And Carl is an idiot.

Chiefster
11-22-2007, 12:28 PM
And Carl is an idiot.

...Complete and utterly.

chief31
11-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Really Im not down on the kid, but I hate that he is all we have, what happens if he gets hurt, or winded man the poor kid hasn't even had good fill in time now he is it.

Then, I guess, we start calling for his head. Maybe we can find a way to make him pay the team some money too. We could criticize him for ever even trying to play football, since he had to have known that there was a chance that he could get injured.

If he is smart, he will go ahead and quit right now. That way he can't be blamed for his injury, nor any decision that the Chiefs' management might make, based on the concept that he would be healthy.

spiman
11-23-2007, 09:31 PM
Okay I'll say it.. H.H. Your a jinx.. Well you asked for it. Sigh. At least you haven't posted "What else could go wrong " A loss to the faders Sun Will get me torn a new one from my friends in the bay area. I will wear #31 Sun in honor of the Priest.( I don't believe in jinxes) _wink

hermhater
11-24-2007, 02:55 AM
Okay I'll say it.. H.H. Your a jinx.. Well you asked for it. Sigh. At least you haven't posted "What else could go wrong " A loss to the faders Sun Will get me torn a new one from my friends in the bay area. I will wear #31 Sun in honor of the Priest.( I don't believe in jinxes) _wink

I might be a jinx...

But I think being right about stuff isn't called that.

It is called good coaching.

Because I call out what is obvious to me doesn't make me a jinx.

Does it?

spiman
11-24-2007, 09:08 AM
I fear Sun. Game against the traders.Is going to be close because of our soso running game with our newest back and a Q.B. I personally don't like. I'll I wan't for X-mas is a win Sun. Santa. We don' have snow but an early present from Fed X will do.

Canada
11-24-2007, 01:31 PM
I fear Sun. Game against the traders.Is going to be close because of our soso running game with our newest back and a Q.B. I personally don't like. I'll I wan't for X-mas is a win Sun. Santa. We don' have snow but an early present from Fed X will do.

I want a three game win streak and split 2 out of the last 3 for Christmas. That will give us a playoff berth!!

hermhater
11-24-2007, 02:20 PM
I call for a blowout Sunday at Arrowhead!!!!

Chiefs will dominate 38-10!!!

GO CHIEFS!!!!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Canada
11-24-2007, 02:22 PM
WRONG!!!!! the faders aren't gonna get a touchdown on this D!!!

hermhater
11-24-2007, 02:31 PM
I figure the kid is young and will throw an errant pass to the flats, that will be returned for a TD.

Oakland's defense is no joke!

Canada
11-24-2007, 02:41 PM
I figure the kid is young and will throw an errant pass to the flats, that will be returned for a TD.

Oakland's defense is no joke!

Yes it is

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
11-24-2007, 04:10 PM
17 to 6 will be the final!!

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
11-24-2007, 04:12 PM
17 to 6 will be the final!!:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

spiman
11-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Okay, One wish at a time. A news years dream.. One plus win in the playoffs..To bring in the new year..

rbedgood
11-28-2007, 12:37 AM

Beware I own CATs!!!!

Ugh...futher evidence, albeit circumstantial that Canada has valid concerns.

hermhater
11-28-2007, 02:16 AM
Ugh...futher evidence, albeit circumstantial that Canada has valid concerns.

You're both a couple of homosapiens!

rbedgood
11-29-2007, 09:32 PM
No I'm a metrosapien...err

Chiefster
11-30-2007, 12:47 AM
No I'm a metrosapien...err

Yeah, I'll just bet yer one of these people who masticate on a regular basis.

rbedgood
11-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Your epidermis is showing.

hermhater
12-01-2007, 03:49 AM
Yeah, I'll just bet yer one of these people who masticate on a regular basis.

I'll bet he cogitates and masticates about every decision.

:sign0098: