PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Turley steppin up

DrunkHillbilly
11-27-2007, 02:30 PM
Turley challenges active players to give to fund

ESPN.com news services

Updated: November 27, 2007, 1:20 PM ET
Comment (http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=3129741)
Email (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3129741#)
Print (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=3129741&type=story)

Kyle Turley (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4273) is donating an entire game check to the Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund for retired NFL players in need -- and challenging his fellow active players to give as well.

"I am issuing a challenge to all current players of this great game to take action and stand with me and show these men that they are not forgotten," the Kansas City Chiefs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=kan) offensive lineman said in a news release issued by Gridiron Greats on Tuesday.

"I am asking them to join me by donating a portion of their December 23 game check, whether large or small, to go directly to retired players in need. Whether they choose to keep their participation confidential or release their name as a participant is not important. What is important is doing something to make a difference."

The Gridiron Greats fund, overseen by NFL Hall of Famers Mike Ditka and Gale Sayers, provides financial assistance and coordinates social service assistance to retired NFL players in need. Ditka has been an outspoken critic of the NFL and its players union over the disability benefits program for retired players.

"The fact that there are so many guys out there in desperate need of help, when something could be done by the owners and the union, is shameful," said Sayers, a board member of the Gridiron Greats. "While they spend their time making excuses, we are committed to providing whatever help we can to improve the lives of so many of the men that played this great game. In this season of giving it is absolutely wonderful what [Turley] and these active players are doing by reaching out to the retired players who are need."

hermhater
11-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I read that this morning.

Good man, wish he could pass block.

(BTW you might want to go back and edit out some of that computer language.)

Chiefster
11-27-2007, 02:53 PM
I read that this morning.

Good man, wish he could pass block.

(BTW you might want to go back and edit out some of that computer language.)

Done.

...And agreed; this is admirable of him.

hermhater
11-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Done.

...And agreed; this is admirable of him.

Thanks guy!

Chiefster
11-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks guy!

No problem. :)

hermhater
11-27-2007, 04:02 PM
Kyle Turley speaks out for retired NFL Players.

YouTube - Kyle Turley speaks out for retired NFL players.

:sign0098:

Coach
11-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Do I smell early retirement for turley? j/k. It is a nice gesture.

rbedgood
11-28-2007, 12:08 AM
I hope a lot of players follow suit. This is a great example...maybe a couple owners could even follow...say taking ticket sales or concession sales for the same game?!

anaeelbackwards
11-28-2007, 01:18 AM
good riddance to guy if he is....

didn't see much of him or he didn't make much noise to begin with as a CHIEF...

i only recollect seeing him as a SAINT....

hermhater
11-28-2007, 01:29 AM
I hope a lot of players follow suit. This is a great example...maybe a couple owners could even follow...say taking ticket sales or concession sales for the same game?!

HAH!!!!

Are you kidding?

The NFL is a corporation isn't it?

There is no way the owners will give money to retired players. They are the enemy of the NFL Players Union!!!

Good one man!!!

:lol:

DrunkHillbilly
11-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Can you imagine if every player would give $25K like Turley did????? That's like $40 million or so!!

rbedgood
11-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I know the owners are (ryhmes with sticks) but c'mon if just one would step up, think of the possible marketing angle...or how about they do a matching campaign with the fans at the game...

I.e. Owner says, for every fan who drops his ticket stub with a $5 in the collection box, I'll match the donation. Heck it's only a fraction of the $$ the owner takes in, but it would add up to a lot.

Chiefster
11-29-2007, 11:40 PM
Yeah, I know the owners are (ryhmes with sticks) but c'mon if just one would step up, think of the possible marketing angle...or how about they do a matching campaign with the fans at the game...

I.e. Owner says, for every fan who drops his ticket stub with a $5 in the collection box, I'll match the donation. Heck it's only a fraction of the $$ the owner takes in, but it would add up to a lot.

Great idea, but you are obviously unaware of the Hunts. :p

rbedgood
11-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Great idea, but you are obviously unaware of the Hunts. :p

I am aware of them as well as all the other cheap *******s that run this league.

I'm just writing this stuff on multiple football boards hoping one of their grandkids (who might have the Internet) might print it out and say, Grandpa...this is a good idea.

Chiefster
11-30-2007, 12:42 AM
I am aware of them as well as all the other cheap *******s that run this league.

I'm just writing this stuff on multiple football boards hoping one of their grandkids (who might have the Internet) might print it out and say, Grandpa...this is a good idea.

Heh!:lol:

Good thinkin! :bananen_smilies046:

hermhater
12-01-2007, 04:26 AM
Can you imagine if every player would give $25K like Turley did????? That's like $40 million or so!!

Exactly!

:sign0098:

DrunkHillbilly
12-04-2007, 11:08 PM
I just watched CostasNOW and Charles Barkley, John Mcenroe and Bob Costas all decided to follow in Turley's footsteps and donate $25,000 each. Maybe Turley might have sparked a little something and some others will step up and show Upshaw what he should have done a long time ago.

rbedgood
12-05-2007, 05:07 AM
I still say that the owners are (insert expletive that rhymes with sticks) if they don't jump in and do something on this weekend...what the owners should do is donate proceeds from the preseason game where they have raped and pillaged their season ticket holders to this cause. Ooops, I'm being logical again...I'll stop.

Chiefster
12-05-2007, 05:09 AM
I still say that the owners are (insert expletive that rhymes with sticks) if they don't jump in and do something on this weekend...what the owners should do is donate proceeds from the preseason game where they have raped and pillaged their season ticket holders to this cause. Ooops, I'm being logical again...I'll stop.

Yep, can't have that. :lol:

hermhater
12-07-2007, 02:25 AM
There are ex NFL players living (barely), in homeless shelters getting $80 a month.

I think the NFL owes them something.

prough91
12-07-2007, 02:32 AM
There are ex NFL players living (barely), in homeless shelters getting $80 a month.

I think the NFL owes them something.

Why? The players agreed to play for what they were paid. Most players had a degree or some college, they could have had a different job than playing football.

hermhater
12-07-2007, 02:41 AM
And some of them were not able to perform basic tasks to hold a job because of injuries.

The ENTIRE life of an NFL player.

prough91
12-07-2007, 02:49 AM
And some of them were not able to perform basic tasks to hold a job because of injuries.

The ENTIRE life of an NFL player.

I meant instead of playing football.

chief31
12-07-2007, 03:03 AM
Well, choosing to play football for one of the most profitable businesses around should not mean that you become a homeless bumb when your employments causes you a severe injury. At least not in my opinion.

prough91
12-07-2007, 03:16 AM
I don't care how profitable a business is, a person chooses what they are going to do for a living. If the job doesn't offer insurance and retirement and you can't deal with that. Don't work for them.

hermhater
12-07-2007, 03:21 AM
I don't care how profitable a business is, a person chooses what they are going to do for a living. If the job doesn't offer insurance and retirement and you can't deal with that. Don't work for them.

I don't agree with that really.

Circumstances often intervene.

NFL is different in that respect, but being disabled at the age of 45 because of your job, and then being denied medical or work comp because you signed a contract don't work for me.

chief31
12-07-2007, 03:26 AM

I gotcha. Anything that can be done to protect the billionaires from those evil poor people kind of plan.

What I am saying is that the employer, the NFL in this case, should go ahead and spare a gallon of gas from their yachts and take better care of the people who the used to get those yachts. Maybe just temper the greed a little bit.

prough91
12-07-2007, 03:44 AM
It's just hard for me to feel sorry for someone who gets paid to play a game. You don't see people in an uproar for West Virginia miners who were underpaid for decades and then died of black lung. Ok, I'll revise that a little, I'm sure there are probably groups somewhere working for the miners, but they don't get the press that ex-NFL players get.

Guru
12-07-2007, 04:15 AM
It's just hard for me to feel sorry for someone who gets paid to play a game. You don't see people in an uproar for West Virginia miners who were underpaid for decades and then died of black lung. Ok, I'll revise that a little, I'm sure there are probably groups somewhere working for the miners, but they don't get the press that ex-NFL players get.
Funny how that works isn't it.

rbedgood
12-07-2007, 10:57 AM
I think the problem that some of us have HH is your use of the word "owe"...I don't think a person in the area would disagree that it would be a great gesture for the owners to follow suit in some way with the gesture made by Turley and others. However to imply that they "owe" the x-NFL players something implies that they promised them something that isn't being delivered. The x-NFL players agreed to a level of pay and benefits when they played that was appropriate for the times, and their own union has continued to negotiate for todays players rather than negotiate benefits for the x-NFL players. The analogy of mine workers in W Virginia is a perfect analogy, unfortunately if Jim-Bob drops a weeks paycheck to pay for the X-mine workers medical bills it isn't going to go very far!!!

hermhater
12-08-2007, 02:49 AM
I think the problem that some of us have HH is your use of the word "owe"...I don't think a person in the area would disagree that it would be a great gesture for the owners to follow suit in some way with the gesture made by Turley and others. However to imply that they "owe" the x-NFL players something implies that they promised them something that isn't being delivered. The x-NFL players agreed to a level of pay and benefits when they played that was appropriate for the times, and their own union has continued to negotiate for todays players rather than negotiate benefits for the x-NFL players. The analogy of mine workers in W Virginia is a perfect analogy, unfortunately if Jim-Bob drops a weeks paycheck to pay for the X-mine workers medical bills it isn't going to go very far!!!

Those guys started the competitive lifestyle of the NFL players today.

The loss of the ability to work for the rest of your life wasn't really known then.

The contract thing doesn't work for me in this instance. No one knew what was gonna happen back then.

chief31
12-08-2007, 03:36 AM

I think that they owe them, morally. People who helped bring this league to the empire that it is today, morally, deserve to reap some of the rewards.

And the x-players agreed to a level of pay and benefits that SEEMED to be appropriate for the times.

But no, I don't think that they literally owe them anything.

McLovin
12-08-2007, 10:21 AM
I think that they owe them, morally. People who helped bring this league to the empire that it is today, morally, deserve to reap some of the rewards.

And the x-players agreed to a level of pay and benefits that SEEMED to be appropriate for the times.

But no, I don't think that they literally owe them anything.

Good Reply, yes by law they owe them nothing, but if it weren't for the x-players then the NFL would have nothing, so essentially they owe everything to them.

DrunkHillbilly
12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Turley has been the most outspoken active player on the issue, and has pledged a single-game paycheck of $25,000 to the fund, which Birk matched. Two other Chiefs, Larry Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6363) and Tony Gonzalez (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3950), the Houston Texans (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=hou)' Ephraim Salaam (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=4428) and the New York Giants (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=nyg)' Kawika Mitchell (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6383) also plan to donate to the fund, the organizers announced.