PDA

View Full Version : so...2008

texaschief
11-30-2007, 07:56 PM
The following are players the Chiefs should be looking at during the offseason.
Free Agents:

Max Starks, OT UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Starks is young and massive. He’s 25 and is listed at 6’7” while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team’s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the high level of play he has shown on the field.

Alan Faneca, OG UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Faneca seems to be the most likely of this group to leave his current team. Rumors suggest that he plans on leaving after the season and has not discussed an extension with the Steelers. Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

Travelle Wharton, OT UFA Carolina Panthers
A late third-round selection in 2004, Wharton has developed into a solid starting left tackle. He has been a key reason for the successes that the Panthers have had, and his absence last season was a key reason for the team’s struggles. Wharton’s rookie contract will expire at season’s end, and his value on the market should be fairly strong. A quality left tackle is hard to find, and team’s looking to bolster an offensive line will have to consider Wharton. Carolina will likely make every effort to work out an extension.

Jared Allen, DE UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Allen’s sack total dropped in ’06, but he still posted 7.5 and raised his tackle total a good deal. He’ll be back in Kansas City for the upcoming season, but there’s a good chance that he’ll try the market out come next offseason. He’s just 25 years of age, and has shown that he is among the league’s best at his position. He’ll be a high priority for several teams once the signing period opens.

Asante Samuel, CB UFA, New England Patriots
Samuel is quickly becoming known as one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL, having posted a league-best ten interceptions last season. His interception total was impressive, but so was his ability to stick to receivers on a regular basis. In the first six games of the current season, he has three picks, and has kept up his strong play, continuing to shutdown receivers and helping the Patriots to an undefeated record to this point. If Samuel is not signed to an extension, he’ll command big dollars on the market, especially if he keeps the pace up.

descriptions found at http://footballsfuture.com

2008 DRAFT: These are the players the Chiefs could be lookin at in the draft.

1st RD-
Jake Long, OT Michigan-The best OT in the draft
Ryan Clady, OT Boise St.-The next best OT in the draft
Matt Ryan, QB Boston College-Could be too good to pass on
Sam Baker, OT USC-3rd best OT in the draft
Malcom Jenkins, CB Ohio St.-Best CB in the draft
Glenn Dorsey, DT Miami-Probably the best player in the draft.
Brian Brohm, QB Louisville-could be too good to pass on
Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas-could be too good to pass on

2nd RD-
Jeff Otah, OT Pittsburgh
Limus Sweed, WR Texas
Mario Manningham, WR Michigan
Quentin Groves, DE Auburn
Gosder Cherilus, OT Boston College

3rd RD-
Cheevis Jackson, CB LSU
Chad Henne, QB Michigan
Drew Radovich, G USC
Tashard Choice, RB GT
Eric Young, G Tennessee
Tracy Porter, CB Indiana

These are the players I as the GM for the Chiefs would be looking at, assuming they are still on the board when we pick (which, most will be).

Now that you've seen some of the "important" FA players and a few of the players who will be available in the draft, here's what i think the Chiefs could/should do.

Fire Carl Peterson as GM, keep him as the President of the organization.

Demote Mike Solari back to the O-line.

Free agents signees:

Jared Allen- I don't care if we have to use the franchise tag, you don't let a top tier DE go to free agency.

Asante Samuel- The Patriots have shown a reluctance to sign FAs to big contracts and would've probably already signed him to an extension if it was going to happen. The Chiefs need to bring in a CB at the top of his game at some point. Law and Surtain are too old to keep up THIS year, let alone NEXT year.

Alan Faneca- Could be a huge sign for the Chiefs' O-line. With the money we could save with Holmes leaving and the extra cap money we already have, these 4 FAs could be signed.

Max Starks- One of the best OTs in this year's FA class and he's only 25. His upside is huge and he'll keep getting better.

DRAFT-

1ST Rd- I'd love Jake Long, but Ryan Clady out of Boise St. is probably the one that will be on the board when the Chiefs pick. Also, don't be shocked if the Chiefs take a QB here if Brodie doesn't get back on the field and perform the rest of this season.

2nd Rd- Limus Sweed from Texas would be awesome if he fell this far because of his injury his Sr. year, but if it's WR the Chiefs are looking for at this point, Mario Manningham will probably have to be their guy. Personally, I think the Chiefs should take their second OL with Jeff Otah, the tackle from Pitt. (only if they can't sign Starks).

3rd Rd- Cheevis Jackson, CB from LSU would be a popular pick in KC but if we're bringing in 2 OTs with our first 2 picks, we might as well finish off our O-line with another young player in Drew Radovich, G USC. (only if we can't sign Faneca) But, CB would be great here. Another interesting name could be Chad Henne considering how Brodie does from here on out.

in a recap, the Chiefs would add:

Asante Samuel, CB
Max Starks, OT
Alan Faneca, OG
Ryan Clady, OT
Mario Manningham, WR
Cheevis Jackson, CB

So, the new O-line would be:

TE-Gonzo
OT-Starks
OG-Waters
C-Wiegman
OG-Faneca
OT-Clady
TE-Dunn

i think with adding another WR, 2 new CBs and i rebuilt O-line, our offense could take a big step forward next season, not to mention turn our defense from good to dominant.

Ok....rip it apart. :lol: :lol: :lol:

McLovin
12-01-2007, 12:28 AM
That post showed a lot of research and some real good ideas, I would love to see all the free agents come here although I think that their are too many other teams that would love to have those guys, think we keep JA and get one of the other FA's maybe although it would be sweet with that lineup.

Overall good job REP added.

hermhater
12-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Would be nice if Herm gave a sh!t about the Offense.

We will probably keep building the D side and keep the crappy O players we have now. Which is the best, because I would hate to come to the Chiefs and ruin my career as an O player.

texaschief
12-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Would be nice if Herm gave a sh!t about the Offense.

We will probably keep building the D side and keep the crappy O players we have now. Which is the best, because I would hate to come to the Chiefs and ruin my career as an O player.

Frankly, i thought we would still be trying to rebuild this defense after Herm's second season, but i think it's obvious where our first draft pick HAS to go. Not to mention where our offseason priorities should be.

There aren't too many positions on defense that you could justify drafting in the first round with the exception of CB. I honestly believe the Chiefs will put a strong effort toward their offense this next off season.

wolfpack
12-02-2007, 07:02 PM
like i said before training camp,,,TRADE LJ!!! we could get some top draft picks.

rbedgood
12-02-2007, 10:37 PM
With the foot injury trading LJ for good value may or may not be in the realm of possibilities currently.

texaschief
12-02-2007, 11:36 PM
With the foot injury trading LJ for good value may or may not be in the realm of possibilities currently.

Which is why you trade a 27 year old super stud RB before you pay him an enormous contract and then gets hurt...RBs ARE NOT "franchise players." If you need any proof of this, just look at LJ before Priest; now look at Kolby before LJ. RBs are replaceable pieces.

1st RD draft picks are hard to come by and LJ would've brought in a HUGE bounty.

...But, just another in a long line of horrid mistakes and misteps by Carl Peterson. you think he would've learned his lesson with RBs after Priest. But, he's the one who drafte LJ, so he wanted to keep him. :sign0098:

tammietailgator
12-02-2007, 11:41 PM
I still believe that LJ will come through when he is healthy..... See what happens next yr with him and you can save this post. I will bank all of my arrowcash on the fact that he will make a huge difference. Right along side with kolby, I think the will come up with a master plan to use both. Maybe I am just dreamin, but I hope the Hunt family is too.

rbedgood
12-02-2007, 11:44 PM
It is hard to say what LJ will or won't do if his injury can't be discussed. If he has the same injury that Shaun Alexander had a couple years ago, figure on recurring foot and ankle injuries...if it is a less serious injury then he may return to form next year. Especially if the team goes out and pursues one of the 4-5 stud O-linemen that are scheduled for free agency.

for ever red
12-02-2007, 11:46 PM
The way Herm uses his running backs they need 3 0r 4 good one,just to get through the year.

chief31
12-03-2007, 02:07 AM
The following are players the Chiefs should be looking at during the offseason.
Free Agents:

Max Starks, OT UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Starks is young and massive. He’s 25 and is listed at 6’7” while weighing 337 pounds. His size and age will make him a desired player on many team’s list. A top tier tackle will always garner interest and Starks may lead the free agent class at the spot because of the high level of play he has shown on the field.

Alan Faneca, OG UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
Faneca seems to be the most likely of this group to leave his current team. Rumors suggest that he plans on leaving after the season and has not discussed an extension with the Steelers. Faneca is a quality guard who has started in five Pro Bowls and been selected as a first team All-Pro five times as well. He also still has some prime seasons of his career remaining. Faneca will receive the most interest at his position, could be the most coveted offensive linemen after the season, and should also be one of the most coveted players available in all of the NFL.

Travelle Wharton, OT UFA Carolina Panthers
A late third-round selection in 2004, Wharton has developed into a solid starting left tackle. He has been a key reason for the successes that the Panthers have had, and his absence last season was a key reason for the team’s struggles. Wharton’s rookie contract will expire at season’s end, and his value on the market should be fairly strong. A quality left tackle is hard to find, and team’s looking to bolster an offensive line will have to consider Wharton. Carolina will likely make every effort to work out an extension.

Jared Allen, DE UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Allen’s sack total dropped in ’06, but he still posted 7.5 and raised his tackle total a good deal. He’ll be back in Kansas City for the upcoming season, but there’s a good chance that he’ll try the market out come next offseason. He’s just 25 years of age, and has shown that he is among the league’s best at his position. He’ll be a high priority for several teams once the signing period opens.

Asante Samuel, CB UFA, New England Patriots
Samuel is quickly becoming known as one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL, having posted a league-best ten interceptions last season. His interception total was impressive, but so was his ability to stick to receivers on a regular basis. In the first six games of the current season, he has three picks, and has kept up his strong play, continuing to shutdown receivers and helping the Patriots to an undefeated record to this point. If Samuel is not signed to an extension, he’ll command big dollars on the market, especially if he keeps the pace up.

descriptions found at http://footballsfuture.com

2008 DRAFT: These are the players the Chiefs could be lookin at in the draft.

1st RD-
Jake Long, OT Michigan-The best OT in the draft
Ryan Clady, OT Boise St.-The next best OT in the draft
Matt Ryan, QB Boston College-Could be too good to pass on
Sam Baker, OT USC-3rd best OT in the draft
Malcom Jenkins, CB Ohio St.-Best CB in the draft
Glenn Dorsey, DT Miami-Probably the best player in the draft.
Brian Brohm, QB Louisville-could be too good to pass on
Darren McFadden, RB Arkansas-could be too good to pass on

2nd RD-
Jeff Otah, OT Pittsburgh
Limus Sweed, WR Texas
Mario Manningham, WR Michigan
Quentin Groves, DE Auburn
Gosder Cherilus, OT Boston College

3rd RD-
Cheevis Jackson, CB LSU
Chad Henne, QB Michigan
Drew Radovich, G USC
Tashard Choice, RB GT
Eric Young, G Tennessee
Tracy Porter, CB Indiana

These are the players I as the GM for the Chiefs would be looking at, assuming they are still on the board when we pick (which, most will be).

Now that you've seen some of the "important" FA players and a few of the players who will be available in the draft, here's what i think the Chiefs could/should do.

Fire Carl Peterson as GM, keep him as the President of the organization.

Demote Mike Solari back to the O-line.

Free agents signees:

Jared Allen- I don't care if we have to use the franchise tag, you don't let a top tier DE go to free agency.

Asante Samuel- The Patriots have shown a reluctance to sign FAs to big contracts and would've probably already signed him to an extension if it was going to happen. The Chiefs need to bring in a CB at the top of his game at some point. Law and Surtain are too old to keep up THIS year, let alone NEXT year.

Alan Faneca- Could be a huge sign for the Chiefs' O-line. With the money we could save with Holmes leaving and the extra cap money we already have, these 4 FAs could be signed.

Max Starks- One of the best OTs in this year's FA class and he's only 25. His upside is huge and he'll keep getting better.

DRAFT-

1ST Rd- I'd love Jake Long, but Ryan Clady out of Boise St. is probably the one that will be on the board when the Chiefs pick. Also, don't be shocked if the Chiefs take a QB here if Brodie doesn't get back on the field and perform the rest of this season.

2nd Rd- Limus Sweed from Texas would be awesome if he fell this far because of his injury his Sr. year, but if it's WR the Chiefs are looking for at this point, Mario Manningham will probably have to be their guy. Personally, I think the Chiefs should take their second OL with Jeff Otah, the tackle from Pitt. (only if they can't sign Starks).

3rd Rd- Cheevis Jackson, CB from LSU would be a popular pick in KC but if we're bringing in 2 OTs with our first 2 picks, we might as well finish off our O-line with another young player in Drew Radovich, G USC. (only if we can't sign Faneca) But, CB would be great here. Another interesting name could be Chad Henne considering how Brodie does from here on out.

in a recap, the Chiefs would add:

Asante Samuel, CB
Max Starks, OT
Alan Faneca, OG
Ryan Clady, OT
Mario Manningham, WR
Cheevis Jackson, CB

So, the new O-line would be:

TE-Gonzo
OT-Starks
OG-Waters
C-Wiegman
OG-Faneca
OT-Clady
TE-Dunn

i think with adding another WR, 2 new CBs and i rebuilt O-line, our offense could take a big step forward next season, not to mention turn our defense from good to dominant.

Ok....rip it apart. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought you and I were unable to agree on anything. So, what the he77 are you doing posting this? :D

Seriously, I especially like the way you listed OT Clady, who is an underclassman yet, instead of just settling for the second-best senior in this group. Of course, that would mean that Clady would have to commit to the NFL draft and leave college early. But that is far from a stretch.

I would still want to look at some defensive linemen too. Likely not with a first day draft pick, but perhaps a second-day steal, or something from free-agency. Something similar to Boone. (Unlikely that we could find another bargain like that though.)

Also, while Faneca would be a huge aquisition, I reluctantly prefer OT Starks. Getting Starks would shore-up our starting OT positions (moving McIntosh to RT) and, possibly, allow us to draft the best OG, or CB in the draft. In fact, the best OG in the draft, is often listed as a OT coming out of college.

Unfortunately, with Faneca insisting that he will not be a Steeler next season, and the unlikelihood that the Steelers would say goodbye to both of those men, I doubt that Starks ever reaches the free-agency market.

But I definitely agree that the offensive line needs some serious attention in the upcoming offseason.

Rep added!!!

hermhater
12-03-2007, 02:09 AM
It is hard to say what LJ will or won't do if his injury can't be discussed. If he has the same injury that Shaun Alexander had a couple years ago, figure on recurring foot and ankle injuries...if it is a less serious injury then he may return to form next year. Especially if the team goes out and pursues one of the 4-5 stud O-linemen that are scheduled for free agency.

Do tell...

:11:

hermhater
12-03-2007, 02:12 AM
I thought you and I were unable to agree on anything. So, what the he77 are you doing posting this? :D

Seriously, I especially like the way you listed OT Clady, who is an underclassman yet, instead of just settling for the second-best senior in this group. Of course, that would mean that Clady would have to commit to the NFL draft and leave college early. But that is far from a stretch.

I would still want to look at some defensive linemen too. Likely not with a first day draft pick, but perhaps a second-day steal, or something from free-agency. Something similar to Boone. (Unlikely that we could find another bargain like that though.)

Also, while Faneca would be a huge aquisition, I reluctantly prefer OT Starks. Getting Starks would shore-up our starting OT positions (moving McIntosh to RT) and, possibly, allow us to draft the best OG, or CB in the draft. In fact, the best OG in the draft, is often listed as a OT coming out of college.

Unfortunately, with Faneca insisting that he will not be a Steeler next season, and the unlikelihood that the Steelers would say goodbye to both of those men, I doubt that Starks ever reaches the free-agency market.

But I definitely agree that the offensive line needs some serious attention in the upcoming offseason.

Rep added!!!

If that doesn't happen I will quit being a Herm fan!

:D

texaschief
12-03-2007, 04:08 AM
If that doesn't happen I will quit being a Herm fan!

heh :funnypost:

timsatt1
12-03-2007, 03:18 PM
with our players, next year WOULD be VERY PROMISING with a new coach that has a new direction for the Chiefs.

Mainly, to go for the win in the first half instead of the 4th quarter. Simple as that.

But YES we do have talent on this KC squad!!! I definately see it. I just see it not being utilized.

anaeelbackwards
12-03-2007, 04:27 PM
I cannot believe I'm already thinking 2008.

I agree we have way too much talent even on this years squad

Yet too many different personalities

And what's up?

We still have a chance, a little on, a hope that the eggos lose out and that we win the rest of our games

But then again we are thinking draft choices

How crazy at 4-8

timsatt1
12-03-2007, 06:18 PM
I cannot believe I'm already thinking 2008.

I agree we have way too much talent even on this years squad

Yet too many different personalities

And what's up?

We still have a chance, a little on, a hope that the eggos lose out and that we win the rest of our games

But then again we are thinking draft choices

How crazy at 4-8

statistically we have a chance to make the playoffs...

...but we know we wont. i dont anticipate watching any more chiefs games this year in hopes that they can reach the playoffs.

If Herm Edwards leaves, we have a shot to do very well next year.

McLovin
12-03-2007, 10:31 PM
with our players, next year WOULD be VERY PROMISING with a new coach that has a new direction for the Chiefs.

Mainly, to go for the win in the first half instead of the 4th quarter. Simple as that.

But YES we do have talent on this KC squad!!! I definately see it. I just see it not being utilized.
I agree, I have seen evidence of Herm or Carl or whoever drafted, either got lucky or did pick up some good talent even lower in the draft. I wish they would just learn to use it.

anaeelbackwards
12-04-2007, 12:54 AM
statistically we have a chance to make the playoffs...

...but we know we wont. i dont anticipate watching any more chiefs games this year in hopes that they can reach the playoffs.

If Herm Edwards leaves, we have a shot to do very well next year.

Haha I will watch the games but yes I am not gonna sit, wish and wait for a playoff spot, the scheduling actually works out great for us but are we deserving? Imo, no. And I doubt herm would leave after the year ends, the media might be harsh here but it was brutal out in new york.

prough91
12-04-2007, 01:39 AM
Kolby Smith has already impressed me this year more than LJ. Trade LJ for some draft picks or some o-line help. Pick up some CB's in the draft and we would be unstoppable in 2009. Yeah, 2009, 2008 will be a waste too.

luv
12-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Kolby Smith has already impressed me this year more than LJ. Trade LJ for some draft picks or some o-line help. Pick up some CB's in the draft and we would be unstoppable in 2009. Yeah, 2009, 2008 will be a waste too.
People keep saying we ned a CB. Makes me even more frustrated that we let Phinisee go. The boy could return kicks, and he played CB.

texaschief
12-04-2007, 02:08 AM
Ok, this is just dumb. we can't trade a 28 year old RB with a HUGE contract who is now an injury risk.

For all you ppl who were calling me names for suggesting such a "horrible thing" before and during the 2007 draft, y'all can go jump off a bridge now....especially now that you're jumping on the bandwagon.

hermhater
12-04-2007, 02:23 AM
Ok, this is just dumb. we can't trade a 28 year old RB with a HUGE contract who is now an injury risk.

For all you ppl who were calling me names for suggesting such a "horrible thing" before and during the 2007 draft, y'all can go jump off a bridge now....especially now that you're jumping on the bandwagon.

At least you said something right tonight!

:sign0098:

Not sure what that is, but who is jumping off the bandwagon?

:sign0153:

luv
12-04-2007, 02:27 AM
At least you said something I agree with tonight!

Not sure what that is, but who is jumping off the bandwagon?

:sign0153:

FYP...

prough91
12-04-2007, 02:31 AM

lol, why would anyone be jumping on the Chiefs bandwagon now?

hermhater
12-04-2007, 02:32 AM
My bad Miss Grammar...

Firefox does spell check, but not grammar check...
Maybe there is an add on..
:toast2:

hermhater
12-04-2007, 02:34 AM
lol, why would anyone be jumping on the Chiefs bandwagon now?

i think texaschief was saying we should have gotten rid of LJ in the offseason before he got his contract and then got hurt....

How does this affect us keeping Kolby? Is he signed, or can he leave?

luv
12-04-2007, 02:35 AM
My bad Miss Grammar...

Firefox does spell check, but not grammar check...
Maybe there is an add on..
:toast2:
The one time you don't quote is the time I wish you would have. When did I correct grammar?

The FYP was saying that he said something you areed with. That doesn't necessarily make him right or wong.

hermhater
12-04-2007, 02:45 AM
The one time you don't quote is the time I wish you would have. When did I correct grammar?

The FYP was saying that he said something you areed with. That doesn't necessarily make him right or wong.

Yes it does!

texaschief happened to be right in his assessment of what should have been done with LJ (my favorite Chiefs player) in regards to Kolby and the offensive line.

I think chief31 was the first to bring this glaring oversight into view.

This is just freakin' disgusting now.

luv
12-04-2007, 02:48 AM
Yes it does!

texaschief happened to be right in his assessment of what should have been done with LJ (my favorite Chiefs player) in regards to Kolby and the offensive line.

I think chief31 was the first to bring this glaring oversight into view.

This is just freakin' disgusting now.
So someone who disagrees with you on something is automatically wrong?

hermhater
12-04-2007, 02:50 AM
So someone who disagrees with you on something is automatically wrong?

I guess you read that wrong and are looking for a fight!

I was saying you are right!

Argue with that!

:lol:

luv
12-04-2007, 02:52 AM
I guess you read that wrong and are looking for a fight!

I was saying you are right!

Argue with that!

Why do discussions and trying to understand what you're saying equate to me looking for a fight?

texaschief
12-04-2007, 02:56 AM
ok...don't know where this went, but let me try this again.

The bandwagon i was referring to is the one everyone seems to piling on as far as trading LJ.

hermhater
12-04-2007, 03:01 AM
Why do discussions and trying to understand what you're saying equate to me looking for a fight?

Because when I first got here I asked someone to argue with me, and you were the one that did.

It is a badge of appreciation.

But glad you noticed!

ok...don't know where this went, but let me try this again.

The bandwagon i was referring to is the one everyone seems to piling on as far as trading LJ.

I didn't realize there was a trading an LJ bandwagon.

I thought you and chief31 wanted LJ traded before he ever got his contract.

If there is a ger rid of LJ bandwagon I will only support it if LJ carries Herm out of KC on his back like he did last year!!!!

prough91
12-04-2007, 03:07 AM
LJ got his big ol' contract and he don't care anymore. You can't say that after you watched him run this year that he wants it as bad as he once did.

texaschief
12-04-2007, 03:09 AM
You haven't noticed all the posts suggesting we trade LJ lately? For the record, i'm not for trading LJ anymore.

We're "stuck" with a super star. Now we just need to get him some blocking RIGHT NOW THIS OFFSEASON so he could be utilized to his full potential.

hermhater
12-04-2007, 03:11 AM
LJ got his big ol' contract and he don't care anymore. You can't say that after you watched him run this year that he wants it as bad as he once did.

I can say exactly that.

Kolby is a stud, I agree.

One of the reasons he has looked as good as Priest (in his prime) or LJ, is because other teams know we are desperate and aren't stacking the box so much.

That freakin' TD to Jared was the first original thing I have see all season.

hermhater
12-04-2007, 03:12 AM
You haven't noticed all the posts suggesting we trade LJ lately? For the record, i'm not for trading LJ anymore.

We're "stuck" with a super star. Now we just need to get him some blocking RIGHT NOW THIS OFFSEASON so he could be utilized to his full potential.

I think those have been here since the off season.

texaschief
12-04-2007, 03:14 AM
I think those have been here since the off season.

yeah, but the ones from the offseason only had 2 names attached to it....there are a few more these days...minus at least one.

texaschief
12-04-2007, 03:24 AM
since i made this thread about 2008, does anyone have some names they'd like to see thrown around as the new OC?

I've got one i think might be interesting. Considering his team is currently awful after a great 2006 season, if he's available, I'd wouldn't mind seeing Brian Billick as the new OC. Offensive play calling isn't super tricky but it's not mondane either. He hasn't had any talent on the Baltimore offense for some time but they still seem to be competitive offensively.

prough91
12-04-2007, 03:53 AM
since i made this thread about 2008, does anyone have some names they'd like to see thrown around as the new OC?

I've got one i think might be interesting. Considering his team is currently awful after a great 2006 season, if he's available, I'd wouldn't mind seeing Brian Billick as the new OC. Offensive play calling isn't super tricky but it's not mondane either. He hasn't had any talent on the Baltimore offense for some time but they still seem to be competitive offensively.

Billick? Are you serious? What in God's name would make you think he would be a good OC. I could see DC maybe.

texaschief
12-04-2007, 03:56 AM
Billick? Are you serious? What in God's name would make you think he would be a good OC. I could see DC maybe.

what? he doesn't call the defense for Baltimore. lol

chief31
12-04-2007, 04:18 AM
He was creditted with the Vikings' high-powered offense of several years ago, but has been completely unable to recreate that kind of offense with the Ravens.

I'll have to do some shopping, but I would prefer to see if Solari could do something with an improved offensive line, before trying Billick.

wolfpack
12-04-2007, 10:37 AM
if norm turner gets canned lets hire him. he`s real bad as a head coach but he`s great as a OC.

DrunkHillbilly
12-04-2007, 10:59 AM

So a guy gets hurt one time in three years and all of a sudden he's an injury risk???? WOW! I guess every single player should be listed as such!!!:funnypost:

DrunkHillbilly
12-04-2007, 11:04 AM

Billick doesn't even call the offensive plays for the Ravens.

chief31
12-04-2007, 11:29 AM
So a guy gets hurt one time in three years and all of a sudden he's an injury risk???? WOW! I guess every single player should be listed as such!!!:funnypost:

Actually, I would have to agree with this.

A.) If it is the same kind of injury that Shaun Alexander has, then it obvious why he would be an injury risk.

B.) Anytime a player misses games, due to an injury, he becomes slightly more susceptible to injuries.

C.) When it comes to trying to trade a player, immediately following an injury, red flags are raised by the teams that you would be interested in trading with. And those teams would demand a better "price" for a player that,during negotiations, would be immediately labelled as an "injury risk".

Chiefster
12-04-2007, 04:10 PM
People keep saying we ned a CB. Makes me even more frustrated that we let Phinisee go. The boy could return kicks, and he played CB.

Good point! Your football knowledge and understanding have increased mightily with the Crowd! The Crowd is strong with you!

:D:bananen_smilies046:

rbedgood
12-04-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't think Billick will be available. But if he is there are teams that would likely pursue him as a HC...the Jets may be tired of Mangini, Lewis could be out in Cincy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Nolan dropped in SF (he'll at the very least lose his GM responsibilites.) Gibbs & Coughlin could also be on the hot seat if their teams don't have a good stretch run.

If Norv Turner can get another job, Billick certainly deserves one.

hermhater
12-04-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't think Billick will be available. But if he is there are teams that would likely pursue him as a HC...the Jets may be tired of Mangini, Lewis could be out in Cincy, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Nolan dropped in SF (he'll at the very least lose his GM responsibilites.) Gibbs & Coughlin could also be on the hot seat if their teams don't have a good stretch run.

If Norv Turner can get another job, Billick certainly deserves one.

And he will blow kisses to get one!

YouTube - Brian Billick blows Rodney Harrison a kiss

rbedgood
12-04-2007, 10:08 PM

I can see both sides of this argument, and it could be completely settled if the type of injury could be discussed. However since LJ has invoked his privacy, we are left guessing as to the nature of his injury. If it is a broken bone, he should return in the next 2 weeks, and would likely struggle some this year, but be fine next year, and wouldn't be any more injury prone than any other NFL running back. However if the injury is the dreaded Lisfranc foot sprain, he would definitely and quickly move to the category of injury-risk. This injury tends to resurface much like hamstring or groin injuries. Players can struggle with it for a few months to a few years. In the case of a power running back like LJ if he struggles with it for a few years that would essentially be his career. The best case scenario for LJ at this point would be to shut it down completely for this year. Even if he can play, the risk of re-injury isn't worth it this season.

FYI:

From the Sporting News Fantasy Football Source

http://fantasysource.sportingnews.com/nfl/players/6363/index.html
(subscription required for this webpage)

Nov. 21, 2007 - 8:48 a.m.
ProFootballTalk.com cited a league source saying that Johnson (foot) has a Lisfranc injury and will not need surgery. The source said Johnson will be treated with rest and rehab. It's still unknown whether he'll play again this year.
Fantasy Source spin: If you haven't snatched up Kolby Smith at this point, do so now. We'll keep you updated on Johnson's foot.

DrunkHillbilly
12-04-2007, 11:19 PM
I can see both sides of this argument, and it could be completely settled if the type of injury could be discussed. However since LJ has invoked his privacy, we are left guessing as to the nature of his injury. If it is a broken bone, he should return in the next 2 weeks, and would likely struggle some this year, but be fine next year, and wouldn't be any more injury prone than any other NFL running back. However if the injury is the dreaded Lisfranc foot sprain, he would definitely and quickly move to the category of injury-risk. This injury tends to resurface much like hamstring or groin injuries. Players can struggle with it for a few months to a few years. In the case of a power running back like LJ if he struggles with it for a few years that would essentially be his career. The best case scenario for LJ at this point would be to shut it down completely for this year. Even if he can play, the risk of re-injury isn't worth it this season.

FYI:

From the Sporting News Fantasy Football Source
Kind of like the microfracture surgery some basketball players have. Some recover better than others. Amare Stoudemire had it 2 seasons ago and came back the following season and played ALL 82 regular season games and EVERY playoff game the Suns were in. He is to this day no worse for the ware. In fact, he is one of the most dominant at his position and most of the time plays out of position to guard bigger guys.

Sorry, got off on a bit of a tangent there. All people recover differently. I just don't believe that after a guy gets hurt one time in his career that he should be labeled "injury prone". Tom Brady is on the injury report every week. Is he injury prone?

texaschief
12-04-2007, 11:56 PM
Billick doesn't even call the offensive plays for the Ravens.

uh, yeah he does. don't you remember Jim Fassil being fired last year? Who do you think is calling the plays now? They may have someone listed as the "OC", but make no mistake, Billick IS calling those plays. Hell, that's the only reason he kept his job is becasue he took the offense away from Fassil.

chief31
12-05-2007, 12:05 AM
Kind of like the microfracture surgery some basketball players have. Some recover better than others. Amare Stoudemire had it 2 seasons ago and came back the following season and played ALL 82 regular season games and EVERY playoff game the Suns were in. He is to this day no worse for the ware. In fact, he is one of the most dominant at his position and most of the time plays out of position to guard bigger guys.

Sorry, got off on a bit of a tangent there. All people recover differently. I just don't believe that after a guy gets hurt one time in his career that he should be labeled "injury prone". Tom Brady is on the injury report every week. Is he injury prone?

He probably shouldn't be labelled that way, but if I am another teams GM and am thinking about trading for LJ, I come into negotiations with that label firmly attached to him. Because of the higher risk of future injury.

As far as Brady goes, he is playing, and very well, I might add. So no, I don't consider his "injuries" to be serious enough to warrant such a label.

rbedgood
12-05-2007, 12:26 AM
Brady has been on the injury report for the past two years, because he has been in the training room every week. The Patriots simply list every single player who has to go to the training room for anything other than tape. As for comparing the two, as I mentioned, if he has a broken foot or a sprain other than the dread Lisfranc, I'd say he's not an injury risk. If it is the Lisfranc he may be an injury risk.

However there is a difference between an injury risk and injury prone. Injury prone is Brian Westbrook who misses a few games every year with an injury to his gimpy knee. Injury risk is someone like LJ who may or may not be fully recovered from a previous injury or who has a previous injury of the type that tends to recur. (i.e. Ricky Williams had a broken arm last year, that is an injury that is not likely to recur...but he tore a muscle this year and has a separated shoulder...separated shoulders tend to be recurring injuries)

hermhater
12-05-2007, 01:03 AM

That is all Belichick.

He figures if some other head coach glances at the injury report for the team they are preparing for they will spend time preparing for whoever the Pats back up is.

Just another one of his subtle moves.

tammietailgator
12-05-2007, 01:05 AM
for that matter... Houshmanzadeh (sp) is questionable every week and never practices.

Chiefster
12-05-2007, 01:27 AM
That is all Belichick.

He figures if some other head coach glances at the injury report for the team they are preparing for they will spend time preparing for whoever the Pats back up is.

Just another one of his subtle moves.

...Like making sure the video camera has tape in it. :D

prough91
12-05-2007, 01:29 AM
what? he doesn't call the defense for Baltimore. lol

That's true, but he doesn't build his teams around offense it don't seem to me that with our anemic offense he would be that great a fit.

rbedgood
12-05-2007, 02:33 AM
for that matter... Houshmanzadeh (sp) is questionable every week and never practices.

He actually ranges from Questionable to probable most weeks, and because he is the WR who works the patterns over the middle (getting hit by linebackers and safeties) he legitimatly is injured most of the time. He actually has had 3 games this year where he couldn't finish the game due to those injuries.

hermhater
12-05-2007, 02:35 AM
He actually ranges from Questionable to probable most weeks, and because he is the WR who works the patterns over the middle (getting hit by linebackers and safeties) he legitimatly is injured most of the time. He actually has had 3 games this year where he couldn't finish the game due to those injuries.

And still leads the league in receptions?

rbedgood
12-05-2007, 02:41 AM
And still leads the league in receptions?

Yep...88. The next guy on the list is Mason at 85.

Chiefster
12-05-2007, 02:46 AM
Yep...88. The next guy on the list is Mason at 85.

I think my sig states it best!

rbedgood
12-05-2007, 02:58 AM
I think my sig states it best!

I was referring to Houshmanzadeh's 88 receptions so far this year, but TG is definitely one of the best #88s ever in the NFL...Marvin Harrison probably gets my top spot, but it is close. I'll take either one of them over Page, Swann or that crackhead Irvin.

Chiefster
12-05-2007, 03:00 AM
I was referring to Houshmanzadeh's 88 receptions so far this year, but TG is definitely one of the best #88s ever in the NFL...Marvin Harrison probably gets my top spot, but it is close. I'll take either one of them over Page, Swann or that crackhead Irvin.

Heh! caught me in a "scanning over" rather then an actual "reading" (which is fundamental) moment. :lol:

hermhater
12-05-2007, 03:02 AM

None of them touch the level that TG has reached!

:yahoo:

Chiefster
12-05-2007, 03:04 AM

He is da-man!:D

rbedgood
12-05-2007, 03:51 AM

Harrison is pretty incredible...although I think Tony may have more left in the tank, and ultimately pass Harrison if Croyle can become a good QB.

DrunkHillbilly
12-05-2007, 10:34 AM
uh, yeah he does. don't you remember Jim Fassil being fired last year? Who do you think is calling the plays now? They may have someone listed as the "OC", but make no mistake, Billick IS calling those plays. Hell, that's the only reason he kept his job is becasue he took the offense away from Fassil.
Did you watch the game Monday night???? He was screaming at Neuheisel! I think Billick has some say but why the argument if Billick is calling the plays?

DrunkHillbilly
12-05-2007, 10:36 AM
ALL of these examples are proving my point!! EVERYBODY could be labelled this way because most NFL players have been hurt at some point in their careers.

DrunkHillbilly
12-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Harrison is pretty incredible...although I think Tony may have more left in the tank, and ultimately pass Harrison if Croyle can become a good QB.
Well, I guess that record is out of the question then!!!

luv
12-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Well, I guess that record is out of the question then!!!
You don't think he can?

DrunkHillbilly
12-05-2007, 01:23 PM
You don't think he can?
Not if he is going to have to count on Croyle to get him over the hump!!

luv
12-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Not if he is going to have to count on Croyle to get him over the hump!!
Actually, I meant Croyle.

I don't think TG could do it with any QB we've got right now.

DrunkHillbilly
12-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Actually, I meant Croyle.

I don't think TG could do it with any QB we've got right now.
Then I guess you know my answer to you previous question.

luv
12-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Then I guess you know my answer to you previous question.
But I think Croyle will get better.

DrunkHillbilly
12-05-2007, 01:51 PM
He may get better but if we're resting our future on his shoulders, we are in trouble!

Chiefster
12-05-2007, 04:52 PM

He may get better but if we're resting our future on his shoulders, we are in trouble!

Again, I don't think any QB could perform effectively behind our current "O" line. IMO

hermhater
12-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Again, I don't think any QB could perform effectively behind our current "O" line. IMO

Michael Vick would be excellent behind our O line.

Once the pocket breaks down he would be able to run the ball.

I could see him rushing for 200 yards a game behind our line!

Chiefster
12-05-2007, 11:57 PM

Except when the defense stacks nine in the box and comes with the blitz.

timsatt1
12-06-2007, 12:02 AM

haha...so true.

but that is when we throw a screen pass to the outside for smith.

hermhater
12-06-2007, 12:04 AM

haha...so true.

but that is when we throw a screen pass to the outside for smith.

How can you be so ignorant about most things and be right every once in a while?

You make it hard to argue.

timsatt1
12-06-2007, 12:05 AM
How can you be so ignorant about most things and be right every once in a while?

You make it hard to argue.

i am right 98.8% of the time...

...well, unless i am predicting a chiefs win....then i am well...hardly ever right this year.

chief31
12-06-2007, 12:09 AM
i am right 98.8% of the time...

...well, unless i am predicting a chiefs win....then i am well...hardly ever right this year.

By my calculations, having said "I'm right 98.8% of the time" a dozen times, each time being wrong, I think your actual percetage is nearer to 4.1%.

Have a nice day. :D

(Just a joke, by the way. No need to report this post.)

:lol: :lol:

hermhater
12-06-2007, 12:10 AM
By my calculations, having said "I'm right 98.8% of the time" a dozen times, each time being wrong, I think your actual percetage is nearer to 4.1%.

Have a nice day. :D

(Just a joke, by the way. No need to report this post.)

:lol: :lol:

Has anyone really ever done that?

Seriously?

timsatt1
12-06-2007, 12:13 AM

Seriously?

i report posts all the time.

Guru
12-06-2007, 12:13 AM
We need to go Oline with every single pick. PERIOD!!!!

timsatt1
12-06-2007, 12:14 AM

aman to that.

O-line is 55% our problem

special teams 15%

and herman edwards is 30%

hermhater
12-06-2007, 12:15 AM
i report posts all the time.

Seriously?

So you're a hall monitor too?

Chiefster

Eggsactly!

chief31

Seriously?

Yeah. timsatt1 report a post of mine for saying that I agreed with everything in the thread. I think he was just salty about some other issues that we had. But it was funny.

hermhater
12-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Yeah. timsatt1 report a post of mine for saying that I agreed with everything in the thread. I think he was just salty about some other issues that we had. But it was funny.

Are reports personal and confidential?

I would think it would be funny to read.

If I were to report a post how would I do that?

Guru
12-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Are reports personal and confidential?

I would think it would be funny to read.

If I were to report a post how would I do that?

Two slots to the right of the rep button.

rbedgood
12-06-2007, 12:41 AM

Ummm...you might want to grab a DB or two in the draft?! You have 7 rounds, and I think a pick or two extra this year...so say 8 picks.

Picking

3 O-line
2 Def backs
1 TE (to develop)
1 LB (to develop)
1 DT (to stuff the run)

...would make sense in my mind.

prough91
12-06-2007, 12:44 AM

That boy runs like he's being chased by angry pit bulls.

McLovin
12-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Ummm...you might want to grab a DB or two in the draft?! You have 7 rounds, and I think a pick or two extra this year...so say 8 picks.

Picking

3 O-line
2 Def backs
1 TE (to develop)
1 LB (to develop)
1 DT (to stuff the run)

You forgot Place Kicker, we aint a keepin Carnage.

tornadospotter
12-06-2007, 12:58 AM

Picking

3 O-line
2 Def backs
1 TE (to develop)
1 LB (to develop)
1 DT (to stuff the run)

I say
4 O-Line
2 CB
1 TE
1 RB (with Herm you need RB's):D
I am just a fan so what do I know, not much other than we need O-Line and the more we have the more to chose and develope from.

Chiefster
12-06-2007, 01:01 AM
You forgot Place Kicker, we aint a keepin Carnage.

Heh! Five years from now we'll have Tynes back

Guru
12-06-2007, 01:06 AM

Picking

3 O-line
2 Def backs
1 TE (to develop)
1 LB (to develop)
1 DT (to stuff the run)

I was being facetious. We do need multiple picks on Oline though.

prough91
12-06-2007, 01:07 AM
Heh! Five years from now we'll have Tynes back

Maybe Mort Anderson could come here!:wheelchair:

rbedgood
12-06-2007, 01:08 AM
I didn't forget the PK, just know the stats. Look at the top 10 kickers in the league...1/2 of them go undrafted. Sign one or two after the draft and let them compete for the job.

David Akers---Undrafted
Rob Bironas---Undrafted
Robbie Gould---Undrafted
Shayne Graham---Undrafted
Matt Stover---12th round (would be undrafted now)
Shane Suisham---Undrafted
Jason Hanson---Rd 2 Pick 28 (one of the few worth an early pick)
Mike Nugent---Rd 2 Pick 15 (early, but maybe like Hanson)
Kris Brown---Rd 7 Pick 22
Mason Crosby---Rd 6 Pick 19
Joe Nedney---Undrafted
Jeff Wilkins---Undrafted
Adam Vinateiri---Undrafted

Yeah I kept going past 10, because I had to include the last 3 even though their numbers aren't in the top 10 this year...

texaschief
12-10-2007, 05:13 PM
ok....so, what do we do with our top 10 pick? anyone? trade up, trade down, draft best available player, draft O-line, QB, or CB?

anyone?

timsatt1
12-10-2007, 09:35 PM
ok....so, what do we do with our top 10 pick? anyone? trade up, trade down, draft best available player, draft O-line, QB, or CB?

anyone?

offensive line is number one priority, even before coaching change.

coaching change is number 2 priority.

We must have a completely different offensive line.

that will change our record dramatically. #1 concern and if we had a good o line we might even have a good record at this point. That is how important it is, we may have been a playoff team and dominated the AFC West.

McLovin
12-10-2007, 09:47 PM
offensive line is number one priority, even before coaching change.

coaching change is number 2 priority.

We must have a completely different offensive line.

that will change our record dramatically. #1 concern and if we had a good o line we might even have a good record at this point. That is how important it is, we may have been a playoff team and dominated the AFC West.
As much as we have talked about how it could be nice to get a high draft pick, I would give our first round pick away if the Broncos would take Hermie, I cant say I am a Shanahan fan but he has produced some good Denver teams and if Hermie went their they would be the next Raiders, instead of us.