PDA

View Full Version : Why you became a Chiefs fan...

StudentoftheGame
11-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Hello loyal Chiefs fans,

I am a current college student, and I'm doing a project on the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs (how they identify themselves with the team, how they represent the Chiefs, and the rituals that Chiefs fans perform). I am not a Chiefs fan myself but the loyalty and passion that Kansas City fans have for the Chiefs has always intrigued me. I would love to hear some of the stories that you, as fans, associate with the Chiefs. And more particularly, I am interested in knowing how, and why, you became a Chiefs fan. I realize that many of you were born in/near Kansas City and that is the reason you plead loyalty to the chiefs, but what I am really looking for are interesting stories that brought you to become a Chiefs fan - what drew you to the chiefs. Maybe your father always made you watch Chiefs games on sunday as a kid, and you are a fan because of him, or maybe it's something else. Any stories that you have will help. And if there are any stories or rituals that you personally associate with being a Chiefs fan, I'd be interested in hearing those as well. Thank you to all of those that offer help.

hermhater
11-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Hello loyal Chiefs fans,

I am a current college student, and I'm doing a project on the fans of the Kansas City Chiefs (how they identify themselves with the team, how they represent the Chiefs, and the rituals that Chiefs fans perform). I am not a Chiefs fan myself but the loyalty and passion that Kansas City fans have for the Chiefs has always intrigued me. I would love to hear some of the stories that you, as fans, associate with the Chiefs. And more particularly, I am interested in knowing how, and why, you became a Chiefs fan. I realize that many of you were born in/near Kansas City and that is the reason you plead loyalty to the chiefs, but what I am really looking for are interesting stories that brought you to become a Chiefs fan - what drew you to the chiefs. Maybe your father always made you watch Chiefs games on sunday as a kid, and you are a fan because of him, or maybe it's something else. Any stories that you have will help. And if there are any stories or rituals that you personally associate with being a Chiefs fan, I'd be interested in hearing those as well. Thank you to all of those that offer help.

Although it seems we have more, and more local Chiefs fans on this site, you would be surprised at how many Chiefs fans don't even live in KC.

I, personally, have always been a Chiefs fan.

No one else in my family could give a hoot about football, I just always loved the team.

Sorry I don't have an interesting story to tell about how I became a Chiefs fan, but I can tell you that the first Chiefs game I went to was when I was about 13 or 14.

Since my family are not football fans, I wasn't able to go to a game until our church youth group was allowed to sell programs outside Arrowhead starting about 3 hours before the game.

Let me tell you it was the coldest I have ever been.

After we sold our share of programs we were allowed to get tickets for free concessions in the stadium.

It was freezing cold and the only hot chocolate size they had was a small in a styrofoam cup. Well in my youth, exuberance, and inexperience I requested a large hot chocolate that came in one of those waxed paper cups that soft drinks come in.

Needless to say, I spent all my tickets on the one drink and couldn't drink it because the wax melted and ruined the hot chocolate.

Good times man, good times!

:lol:

(By the way if you are really doing this for a college paper, you might ask for a little grammatical help as well! :D)

IlovetheChiefs
11-30-2007, 11:59 PM
I never lived in Kansas City or close to it. I first started seriously following football in the 1975 season when I was 8. But in '73 and '74 watched a handful of games. In '73 one Monday Night Football game I watched some of was the Chiefs and Bills. I was 6 and my dad let me stay up later that night for some reason. The Chiefs just had charisma for me. I always loved the colors and the logo and the name Chiefs. And when I bought the mini helmets from those quarter machines I loved the Chiefs helmet. And when I bought football cards I loved their cards.
Some people were (and still are, of course) bandwagon fans and liked the Cowboys, Dolphins, Raiders, Vikings, Steelers, because they were the winning teams at the time. But not the case with me. The Chiefs were 5-9 in '74 and '75 but I absolutely loved them.
I've always been a Chiefs fan, no matter what their record, and always will be.

luv
12-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Hello loyal Chiefs fans,

Boy, are you asking about fandom at a bad time...lol.

My dad invited me to go to a game a few years back to be his designated driver. I went, since he was paying for my ticket. I really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere.

A few months later, I decided to learn about a topic that I could talk to guys about. My dad had turned me on to a Chiefs BB, so I started going there and annoying them with questions. The Chiefs were pretty much the only team I could even pretend to know anything about.

THe more I learned about football, the more I fell in love with the sport. I have a very analytical mind, and I can be very opinionated. What better sport for someone like me?!? I stayed with the Chiefs in order to have a team to apply my football knowledge to and, more importantly, a team to root for!

So, my fandom stemmed from a combination of my dad, my taking an interest in a "man" topic, and my first experience at Arrowhead.

McLovin
12-01-2007, 12:14 AM
I am one of those that was not from KC originally. I moved into KC in 1990 and was at the time not a football fan. One night I went into a bar to play darts and ended up getting kicked out of the bar because I was between the Chiefs fans and the TV. A few days later I was eating at a local restaurant and met Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas, they were both very very nice and approachable. I started looking into what the locals saw that gave them the passion for this team, I then started watching football and from then I was a hooked Chiefs fan. I have found though that since leaving KC my being a Chiefs fan has grown much stronger. For me it seems that not being able to watch the Chiefs on a weekly basis has made my love of the Chiefs that much stronger.

I think of the Chiefs as kind of a little brother kinda thing, I feel it is ok for me as a fan to find fault and question decisions about the team, but if a fan of another team does it I am right their to defend my Chiefs.

hermhater
12-01-2007, 12:15 AM
I am one of those that was not from KC originally. I moved into KC in 1990 and was at the time not a football fan. One night I went into a bar to play darts and ended up getting kicked out of the bar because I was between the Chiefs fans and the TV. A few days later I was eating at a local restaurant and met Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas, they were both very very nice and approachable. I started looking into what the locals saw that gave them the passion for this team, I then started watching football and from then I was a hooked Chiefs fan. I have found though that since leaving KC my being a Chiefs fan has grown much stronger. For me it seems that not being able to watch the Chiefs on a weekly basis has made my love of the Chiefs that much stronger.

I think of the Chiefs as kind of a little brother kinda thing, I feel it is ok for me as a fan to find fault and question decisions about the team, but if a fan of another team does it I am right their to defend my Chiefs.

Nice!

Rep added!

:sign0098:

StudentoftheGame
12-01-2007, 12:29 AM
ByronC, thank you for your reply. These are the types of "first time" stories that I am looking for. But, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask you elaborate on what you meant by "I started looking into what the locals saw that gave them the passion for this team." Besides growing up with parents that were Chiefs fans, what draws fans to the Chiefs in general, and why do fans stay loyal even after many years of disappointment?

Also, In response to luv's post: You say that now is a bad time to ask about fandom. What is the reason for this? I have always felt that Chiefs fans were loyal to their team, even after 10+ years without a playoff victory. Why now, after 13 years with no playoff wins, are Chiefs fans losing faith in the team (and refusing to remain loyal)? What has changed?

(anyone please feel free to reply to these questions).

hermhater
12-01-2007, 12:31 AM
ByronC, thank you for your reply. These are the types of "first time" stories that I am looking for. But, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask you elaborate on what you meant by "I started looking into what the locals saw that gave them the passion for this team." Besides growing up with parents that were Chiefs fans, what draws fans to the Chiefs in general, and why do fans stay loyal even after many years of disappointment?

Also, In response to luv's post: You say that now is a bad time to ask about fandom. What is the reason for this? I have always felt that Chiefs fans were loyal to their team, even after 10+ years without a playoff victory. Why now, after 13 years with no playoff wins, are Chiefs fans losing faith in the team (and refusing to remain loyal)? What has changed?

Nothing has changed. This happens every year. I see it all the time around KC.

Next year it will be the same thing.

Are you sure you are not me in disguise guy?

luv
12-01-2007, 01:15 AM

I've been a fan for about three years. This is the first time I've experienced the "don't go to games and stop buying merchandise" crowd. The thought of that attitude makes my blood boil. If you're a fan, you're a fan. Win or lose.

Anyway. THis line of questions just has me wondering, and please excuse me if I'm wrong.....Chargers fan?

hermhater
12-01-2007, 01:42 AM
I've been a fan for about three years. This is the first time I've experienced the "don't go to games and stop buying merchandise" crowd. The thought of that attitude makes my blood boil. If you're a fan, you're a fan. Win or lose.

Anyway. THis line of questions just has me wondering, and please excuse me if I'm wrong.....Chargers fan?

Well the guy is moderately articulate, so he is not a Raiders fan...

He is not trying to pretend like he is still the dominant force in the AFC West, so not a Broncos fan...

He says he is not a Chiefs fan...

Hmmmm...

Is luv onto something?

StudentoftheGame
12-01-2007, 01:42 AM

Haha, no I'm not a Chargers fan. You'll actually probably dislike me even more when I tell you I'm from St. Louis, and therefore am loyal to all St. Louis sports teams. Obviously, St. Louis is more of a baseball town and the atmosphere in the Edward Jones Dome doesn't compare to the Arrowhead experience. But speaking of AFC West teams, why is there such a bitter rivalry between Chiefs fans and Raiders fans? How did this rivalry start, and what are the ways that Chiefs fans display their hatred for the Raiders. Are there any rituals in this matter?

hermhater
12-01-2007, 01:44 AM
Haha, no I'm not a Chargers fan. You'll actually probably dislike me even more when I tell you I'm from St. Louis, and therefore am loyal to all St. Louis sports teams. Obviously, St. Louis is more of a baseball town and the atmosphere in the Edward Jones Dome doesn't compare to the Arrowhead experience. But speaking of AFC West teams, why is there such a bitter rivalry between Chiefs fans and Raiders fans? How did this rivalry start, and what are the ways that Chiefs fans display their hatred for the Raiders. Are there any rituals in this matter?

I have to give you credit man.

This is the best idea I have ever seen for doing research on a paper.

Screw studying, let others tell you what to write!!!

The age of the internet has ARRIVED!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:yahoo:

:D

StudentoftheGame
12-01-2007, 01:54 AM
Well the guy is moderately articulate, so he is not a Raiders fan...

He is not trying to pretend like he is still the dominant force in the AFC West, so not a Broncos fan...

He says he is not a Chiefs fan...

Hmmmm...

Is luv onto something?

I'm simply just a student trying to learn about the ways in which Chiefs fans identify with their team. The class I am doing this for is a "Sports Communication" class, and my project is to study the fans of a certain team. I chose the KC Chiefs fans because I know they have a strong passion for their Chiefs. For instance, some of the rituals that Chiefs fans are accustomed to are the epic tailgating practices that take place every sunday, and the rendition of the National Anthem that ends in "...the home of the Chiefs." I also know about "Red Friday," which takes place before every home opener. These are some of the things that I am trying to learn about the fans - the rituals that fans take part in.

Maybe it is these rituals that influence fans from other cities to love the chiefs. That is really the ultimate question: Why did you become a Chiefs fan? What did it for you?

I would also like to learn more about the "TD Pack Band" (correct me if that is not the correct name). Is that still a prevalent group inside the stadium? What makes the band so special?

Finally, I want to learn more about the rivalry with the Raiders - it's origin, and more specifically how people show their dislike for the Raiders and their fans. any rituals there?

Again, thank you to all who have replied and helped me out in this manner.

Polleo Pit Man
12-01-2007, 02:22 AM
I'm simply just a student trying to learn about the ways in which Chiefs fans identify with their team. The class I am doing this for is a "Sports Communication" class, and my project is to study the fans of a certain team. I chose the KC Chiefs fans because I know they have a strong passion for their Chiefs. For instance, some of the rituals that Chiefs fans are accustomed to are the epic tailgating practices that take place every sunday, and the rendition of the National Anthem that ends in "...the home of the Chiefs." I also know about "Red Friday," which takes place before every home opener. These are some of the things that I am trying to learn about the fans - the rituals that fans take part in.

Maybe it is these rituals that influence fans from other cities to love the chiefs. That is really the ultimate question: Why did you become a Chiefs fan? What did it for you?

I would also like to learn more about the "TD Pack Band" (correct me if that is not the correct name). Is that still a prevalent group inside the stadium? What makes the band so special?

Finally, I want to learn more about the rivalry with the Raiders - it's origin, and more specifically how people show their dislike for the Raiders and their fans. any rituals there?

Where are you from? What college?

StudentoftheGame
12-01-2007, 02:25 AM
I go to St. Louis University and I am from St. Louis. This project is for a class called "Sports Communication." Anything you have to offer is much appreciated.

hermhater
12-01-2007, 02:27 AM
OK, you seem like a pretty good guy. If you don't want to do the research I will try and help you out.

Be warned though. I am often criticized on this site about my behavior.

I don't know that I am generally criticized on my fact checking. I am not doing any now, just letting you know what's going down in KC.

You’re right about that guy!

If you can remember the 4th Quarter of the game you haven’t tailgated right.

The reason we say “…the home of the CHIEFSSSSS!!!!!” is because we like to think of ourselves as a nation (KC Nation), and we have USAF flyovers at the end of the Star Spangled Banner (and it is usually timed pretty damn well, so that the planes fly over while we are singing it).

Red Friday is huge in KC. Everyone wears Chiefs Red and is in a great mood. We all talk to each other as if we are long time friends. If you’re not wearing Chiefs Red, someone is likely to ask you why you aren’t.

Does that help?

If you’re still asking that question then I will speak for a couple of others on this site and you can ask them.

rbedgood has a soft spot in his tiny heart for the Chiefs because Golden Boy Joe Montana played for us after he was disgustingly let go by rbedgoods favorite team, the once respectable San Francisco 49er’s.

Canada noticed the same thing as you and was hooked. Good boy Canada.
chief31 just knows a good thing when he sees one!

Chiefster has found the Light Side of the Force and become a Jedi master because of it!

tammietailgator lives here in KC and loves the Chiefs, but for some reason roots for some team in Kansas for College ball…

m0ef0e… ohhh m0ef0e… where has the prodigal son wandered to? (probably playing video games like me)

….

For some reason four dots in a row means something on this site. Something funny from what I gather.

This is just a quick slice of life here at the Crowd.

The Chiefs fan across the country is pretty much represented here on this site.

I can’t remember the name of the band, but I just got my copy of History of the Chiefs, so celebrate good times tornadospotter!

Also the band leader now is the daughter of the original band leader. They have been a team for about 20 years or so, and if I’m not mistaken her dad just died (I would look this one up, because I think everyone is dead for some reason when people ask me).

I also think KC Wolf likes to dance in front of them.

KC Wolf is our mascot and is awesome! He Dog Piled a drunk fan this year at Arrowhead and then the momentum turned! Chiefs won the game!!!!

Make sure and mention KC Wolf in your report.

The Raiders just suck period. Doesn’t every other team hate them as much as the Chiefs?

The fans throw D cell batteries at the Raiders opponents when they are in the Red Zone.

The Chiefs have to play them twice a year and kick their *** so often

You’re welcome.

I figure this will get you at least a B on your paper.

Good luck, and starter rooting for the friggin’ Chiefs man!!!!

Guru
12-01-2007, 02:30 AM
Hello loyal Chiefs fans,

Glutton for punishment? :D

Polleo Pit Man
12-01-2007, 02:33 AM
I go to St. Louis University and I am from St. Louis. This project is for a class called "Sports Communication." Anything you have to offer is much appreciated.
I dont have much of a story. I am from central Iowa. Never played much sports but around 16 started liking NFL and the Chiefs in paticular. Part of the reason I think I liked them was they always seemed to be the "underdog" or atleast thats how they were treated. I liked rooting for the underdog because they did win a fair share of games and they were fun to watch. I guess its just somthing that grows on you. Evan when they suck I still watch the whole game, thinkin they can come back at any moment. That started back when Joe Montana was the QB. I just went to my first game at Arrowhead last week and I was very impressed. I will be making hopefully many trips next year! Thats all I got.

hermhater
12-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Glutton for punishment? :D

Quit being kinky carlhater...

Maybe you should change your user name... hmmmm...

:lol: :beer:

hermhater
12-01-2007, 02:40 AM
I dont have much of a story. I am from central Iowa. Never played much sports but around 16 started liking NFL and the Chiefs in paticular. Part of the reason I think I liked them was they always seemed to be the "underdog" or atleast thats how they were treated. I liked rooting for the underdog because they did win a fair share of games and they were fun to watch. I guess its just somthing that grows on you. Evan when they suck I still watch the whole game, thinkin they can come back at any moment. That started back when Joe Montana was the QB. I just went to my first game at Arrowhead last week and I was very impressed. I will be making hopefully many trips next year! Thats all I got.

Excellent point!

Why the hell are the Chiefs ignored to much?

Even when we play a good game they still show the opposing teams highlights and that is all.

We are angry about that too.

Since Lamar Hunt started the AFL in the 60's the NFL has had a grudge. The Chiefs suffer because of it.

This is not only media wise, but official call wise.

We have lost 3 or 4 players the last two years (starters) because of injuries that were caused by intentional fouls that were not flagged, fined, or even noticed by the NFL.

Guru
12-01-2007, 02:49 AM
Quit being kinky carlhater...

Maybe you should change your user name... hmmmm...

:lol: :beer:

That's why they call me Guru.:11:

Canada
12-01-2007, 09:08 AM
This is a kick *** thread and I want to go to class with SOTG!!!! I am a Chiefs fan living in the great White North and I bleed Red and Gold!! I became a Chiefs fan because of the Late Great Derrick Thomas. Up here in Canada, the is no local team. I watched football every Sunday but never really had a favorite team until I saw Derrick Thomas play. I wanted to play just like him. The way that he hit, they way he played the game and the way he lived his life was inspiring to everyone around him. My mom bought me a DT jersey for my birthday and to this day it hangs on the wall of my garage along with 27 other Chiefs jerseys. The fans of this team are what I have truly come to love. The Arrowhead atmosphere is unlike any other that I have experienced at any sporting event anywhere. I have been to hockey games all over North America, I have been to baseball games I have been to other football stadiums, I even went to the 2000 Olympics in Australia but Arrowhead Stadium is the BEST party on the face of the planet!! The food, the fans and the BEER!!!!!
GO CHIEFS GO!! GO CHIEFS GO!!

And to answer your question about the Raiders. Why do we hate them?? Have you seen them?? They are idiots. Rituals....when you see one, punch him, take his ticket to the game and give it to a Chiefs fan!!

My Dream!! To someday win the lottery, buy seasons tickets for every seat in the "black hole" and fill them with Chiefs fans!!

IlovetheChiefs
12-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Also the Raiders used to be the frequent dominant team in the AFC west. So while any divisional opponents are a rivalry, the Chiefs-Raiders, Seahawks-Raiders, Chargers-Raiders, and Broncos-Raiders were always the biggest in the division (with The Chiefs-Raiders the biggest, going back to the old AFL days. I've heard our rivalry is sometimes even considered bigger than the Cowboys-Redskins). Just like here in Philadelphia, Eagle fans hate the Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys, but they hate the Cowboys the most BY FAR. Because Dallas has been the most frequent dominant team in the NFC East for 37 years.
I've heard another reason the Chiefs-Raiders rivalry became even bigger was that in baseball the other Oakland team, the A's, was good in the 70's like the Kansas City Royals were. And since they were also in the same division that feuled the "Oakland-KC" battle all the more.
I LOVE the Chiefs and I am a Raider HATER!
But this Sunday since they are playing the Broncos who have a better record, I actually have to hope the Raiders (UGH!) win.

kcchiefsfan
12-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Well, I've lived in Kansas City, MO all of my life, and I grew up watching them play football. So pretty much I'm just supporting my hometown team!

wolfpack
12-01-2007, 11:50 AM
it started with my dads sperm. each of the boys had little dallas texans helments on. mom.her eggs had a combo of a razerback and a texan sign on the outside. when the boys were hightail`en it up to the promise land one lowered his helment and broke through. hence the texans/chiefs were embeded in my dna.

Pete
12-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Tomorrow is my first game at KC, I'm a Steeler fan all my life, season tickets since 1972. Never been in KC but flying out of Pittsburgh in the next few minutes. Could become a real Chief fan, my son has been on the practice squad for the last 4 or 5 weeks. We hope he gets a shot to play by years end. He had a great Steeler camp but just missed, but many thought he should have made the 53 man. Looking forward to a great trip.

sues70
12-01-2007, 12:30 PM
OMG my first game too. Are you as excited as I am? I was born and raised in and around KC. When I learned the game, it was only a given that I would be a die hard Chiefs fan. I started watching football with my husband when we were only friends in 1987. He is a Cowboys fan. Oh yeah that causes some conflict around here. Don't worry you guys there is Chiefs stuff all around my house and no Cowboys crap. Did you really want to hear all that. Oh well!!!

hermhater
12-01-2007, 02:45 PM
This is a kick *** thread and I want to go to class with SOTG!!!! I am a Chiefs fan living in the great White North and I bleed Red and Gold!! I became a Chiefs fan because of the Late Great Derrick Thomas. Up here in Canada, the is no local team. I watched football every Sunday but never really had a favorite team until I saw Derrick Thomas play. I wanted to play just like him. The way that he hit, they way he played the game and the way he lived his life was inspiring to everyone around him. My mom bought me a DT jersey for my birthday and to this day it hangs on the wall of my garage along with 27 other Chiefs jerseys. The fans of this team are what I have truly come to love. The Arrowhead atmosphere is unlike any other that I have experienced at any sporting event anywhere. I have been to hockey games all over North America, I have been to baseball games I have been to other football stadiums, I even went to the 2000 Olympics in Australia but Arrowhead Stadium is the BEST party on the face of the planet!! The food, the fans and the BEER!!!!!

And to answer your question about the Raiders. Why do we hate them?? Have you seen them?? They are idiots. Rituals....when you see one, punch him, take his ticket to the game and give it to a Chiefs fan!!

My Dream!! To someday win the lottery, buy seasons tickets for every seat in the "black hole" and fill them with Chiefs fans!!

Good one man!!!

hermhater
12-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Tomorrow is my first game at KC, I'm a Steeler fan all my life, season tickets since 1972. Never been in KC but flying out of Pittsburgh in the next few minutes. Could become a real Chief fan, my son has been on the practice squad for the last 4 or 5 weeks. We hope he gets a shot to play by years end. He had a great Steeler camp but just missed, but many thought he should have made the 53 man. Looking forward to a great trip.

You rock man! Who is your son?

OMG my first game too. Are you as excited as I am? I was born and raised in and around KC. When I learned the game, it was only a given that I would be a die hard Chiefs fan. I started watching football with my husband when we were only friends in 1987. He is a Cowboys fan. Oh yeah that causes some conflict around here. Don't worry you guys there is Chiefs stuff all around my house and no Cowboys crap. Did you really want to hear all that. Oh well!!!

Of course we wanted to hear that! Great stuff!

McLovin
12-01-2007, 04:48 PM
ByronC, thank you for your reply. These are the types of "first time" stories that I am looking for. But, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to ask you elaborate on what you meant by "I started looking into what the locals saw that gave them the passion for this team."

Besides growing up with parents that were Chiefs fans, what draws fans to the Chiefs in general, and why do fans stay loyal even after many years of disappointment?

Right now I believe that the Chiefs fans are very loyal to the team, the fans just aren't loyal to the Coach and want a change, the reason for the seeming lack of loyalty and wanting to boycott games has nothing to do with the team it is all about getting a new coach who has a passion for winning, not close games.

Mainly I could tell that the Chiefs had a loyal following, I noticed it around KC everywhere I went, I grew up in Iowa and Iowa doesn't have any pro sports teams, so I had to find outside teams to root for, My parents didn't watch football and up until I moved to KC I didn't either, there wasn't a mold of what team I should like in football.

During the 1991 playoffs I was first introduced to the Chiefs, that was the season that they played the Raiders in the first round, I remember buying a Chiefs shirt and a Raider Haters shirt. Soon after (93) the Chiefs acquired Joe Montana who was my favorite all time player even though I didn't watch football. This cemented my being a Chiefs fan.

These things along with meeting Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith plus living for a while next to Arrowhead Stadium I have been a die hard Chiefs fan since. I believe maybe a lot of mine was timing but, and the fact that I really didn't follow football. Kaufmann Stadium (Royals) is right next to Arrowhead but I am forever a St Louis Cardinals fan and have never rooted for the Royals.

Hope this helps.

StudentoftheGame
12-01-2007, 04:56 PM
This is all great stuff guys. I'm glad to see that this thread has blossomed into something and I appreciate that fact that all of you are willing to help even though I, myself, am not a Chiefs fan. I have yet another question (sorry). I have recently learned about "Raiders Week," and I know that because of the hatred you have for the raiders and their fans, that this week must be big. I tried to look online for some of the events that take place this week, but it seems that ALL teams have a raiders week, haha. So I was just wondering if there are any rituals that you perform during the week that the raiders come into town (anything you do differently than a standard Chiefs home game against a different opponent). Thanks again for all your posts.

Canada
12-01-2007, 05:32 PM
This is all great stuff guys. I'm glad to see that this thread has blossomed into something and I appreciate that fact that all of you are willing to help even though I, myself, am not a Chiefs fan. I have yet another question (sorry). I have recently learned about "Raiders Week," and I know that because of the hatred you have for the raiders and their fans, that this week must be big. I tried to look online for some of the events that take place this week, but it seems that ALL teams have a raiders week, haha. So I was just wondering if there are any rituals that you perform during the week that the raiders come into town (anything you do differently than a standard Chiefs home game against a different opponent). Thanks again for all your posts.

I look for Raiders fans and punch 'em. No joke

tammietailgator
12-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Congrats!!!! You must be so proud. I hope you get to see your son play. Can you tell us who he is? What position? Welcome to KC

sling58
12-03-2007, 07:50 AM
I became a fan in 1988. I was living in Grandview, MO and my Mom would go to Price Chopper to grocery shop and I would get these football cards about this team. I started to collect those cards and then I saw the games on TV and was on the way to becoming a true fan. I remember the day that a Young Defensive Player was drafted for the Chiefs in 1989 and remember running into that player at Independence Mall with my Dad. At that moment I was hooked, I followed #58 throughout his career and even played the same position and wore the same number he did in Highschool. When I broke my leg in 1993 playing football at school my Doctor was one of the Chiefs team doctors that put my leg back together (for those that know medical things, I had to have the Ilizarov procedure done because I had 2 inches of bone pop out my leg.) and that team Doctor got ALL the Chiefs players to sign a team photo to me and wishe me luck in healing. I have been a fan through think and thin with this team. I have followed this team living in Hawaii, Guam, Figi, Western Samoa, the Phillipines, and all over the USA. So I guess I will repay that favor that those Chiefs players paid for a 13 year old boy in 1993 and say "Get better soon and I hope to see you on the field next year!"

As for the Raiders........they can go F*** T*********!

loyden
12-03-2007, 08:53 AM
I come from Sweden and live in Sweden so I have no real connection to Chiefs..... But I played football for several years in Sweden and watched every game. Chiefs PLAYED to most enyoing football. Heavy run game so after a while I was a chiefs fan.

I can't say they are living up to the old days now..... They really suck. But I will continue watching every game and they get a high draft pick atleast ( maybe dolphins gets a higher).

prough91
12-08-2007, 09:35 AM
My dad hates sports and we never watched them. Every week my grandma would have Sunday dinner at her house and my uncle and cousins would sit there all afternoon watching the Chiefs play. It pissed me off so bad, couldn't stand it. When I got older and went to public school, I started playing basketball (the only sport the school had) and found I really enjoyed sports. I decided to watch a full game one Sunday with my uncle and cousins and I was hooked. The emotion, the athleticism, the violence, the eloquence, God, the whole thing appealed to me. I decided then to become a Chiefs fan.

I do all kinds of wierd rituals. If we have the ball, I wear my Gonzalez jersey. If we're on defense, I wear my DT jersey. If my wife is out of the room and they start playing well, her *** isn't coming back into the living room until the game is over. If she's watching and they are doing well, she'll piss her pants before I let her get out of her chair. I'm freaky superstitious.

The major reason we are such big rivals is because we are in the same division and for years the games went back and forth, though, that can't be said as much here lately. The main reason I think there is so much hatred for the Raiders is because back in 1970 Len Dawson was falling to the ground and Ben Davidson speared him in the back causing a huge brawl. That, and Raider fans are dumber than hell.

I hope this helps.

hermhater
12-09-2007, 01:08 AM
I come from Sweden and live in Sweden so I have no real connection to Chiefs..... But I played football for several years in Sweden and watched every game. Chiefs PLAYED to most enyoing football. Heavy run game so after a while I was a chiefs fan.

I can't say they are living up to the old days now..... They really suck. But I will continue watching every game and they get a high draft pick atleast ( maybe dolphins gets a higher).

My dad hates sports and we never watched them. Every week my grandma would have Sunday dinner at her house and my uncle and cousins would sit there all afternoon watching the Chiefs play. It pissed me off so bad, couldn't stand it. When I got older and went to public school, I started playing basketball (the only sport the school had) and found I really enjoyed sports. I decided to watch a full game one Sunday with my uncle and cousins and I was hooked. The emotion, the athleticism, the violence, the eloquence, God, the whole thing appealed to me. I decided then to become a Chiefs fan.

I do all kinds of wierd rituals. If we have the ball, I wear my Gonzalez jersey. If we're on defense, I wear my DT jersey. If my wife is out of the room and they start playing well, her *** isn't coming back into the living room until the game is over. If she's watching and they are doing well, she'll piss her pants before I let her get out of her chair. I'm freaky superstitious.

The major reason we are such big rivals is because we are in the same division and for years the games went back and forth, though, that can't be said as much here lately. The main reason I think there is so much hatred for the Raiders is because back in 1970 Len Dawson was falling to the ground and Ben Davidson speared him in the back causing a huge brawl. That, and Raider fans are dumber than hell.

I hope this helps.

Both great posts!

Where is Sweden?

Next to Canada?

hermhater
12-09-2007, 01:12 AM

That is what it is all about man.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2007/12/11.jpg

prough91
12-09-2007, 05:32 AM
That is what it is all about man.

She LOVES watching football (or any other sport for that matter) with me.

stlchief
12-09-2007, 09:34 AM
Late to the thread, but I'll post anyway.

I grew up in Independence, MO, but was only about 10 miles from the Arrowhead.

When I would go to my grandma's on Sunday, you could hear the crowd yelling several miles away. It was crazy.

My whole family was nuts for the Chiefs. Dad / grandpas / uncles, so it was obvious we young-uns would follow.

But what was the first memory that made me a Chiefs fan? Two things stand out.

1) The police department would give out Chiefs cards. They were not the Topps / Bowman / Fleer cards, but something just for KC. They were about an inch taller than trading cards you purchased. It was great being 7 / 8 and walking up to a police car and asking for some. I still have a lot of them. I really loved the Carla & Warpaint one.... Bonus points if anyone knows who that is....

2) QuickTrip had a "Chiefs Huddle Club" program. You signed up and got a package of "stuff". There were Chiefs stickers and you could get an end-zone ticket to the game. My first game was against Seattle in the early 80's.

Why am I a die-hard Chiefs fan today? Look at the pick. I'm the guy with the red mohawk. The guy next to me is my brother who drove into St. Louis to watch the Chiefs play the Rams. If you want to experience Arrowhead, the Chiefs will be back in STL in 6 or 7 years. The Dome turns into Arrowhead East when they are here, with at least 50% Chiefs fans. You get a little bit of the feel for it. A Rams home game is nothing compared to KC. No tailgating (and you cannot say "we do" because it is 30 - 40 people at a time, not thousands in the same lot....).

It's my connection to male family members. It's home. 85% of the conversations I have had with my dad in the last 5 - 10 years are Chiefs related. You could say it's the only thing that keeps us civil.

When my third daughter was born I called my cousin this year and said "I heard Priest will play again today." We talked for about 5 minutes and he said "What else is going on?". I said "We had the baby!". Obviously I was more excited about my daughter and was trying to be silly with him, but I was VERY excited Priest would be back....

As to why we hate the Raiders: My dad and uncle tell stories about 60's / 70's with Raiders fans throwing beers on the Chiefs players. The defense played dirty. The "Raider mystique" only means thugs who take cheap shots. A Chargers fan was killed going to a game in Oakland. Al Davis has no integrity. What else do you need...

It was a hard, hard time when Bo Jackson played for the Royals & the Raiders. You might want to look for some articles on Bo during the time to understand a little more of the rivalry. I'm sure there was a lot written on it then...

Rambling done.

wolfpack
12-09-2007, 10:30 AM
as much as i`m a chiefs fan all the way to my DNA, this is the first yeat since the mid-80`s that i can remember that i can walk away from one of their games. the last few games by the 3rd qrter i leave the tv. went to the faiders game and if i didnt live 5hrs away and wanted my full tic value,i`d left. THANK YOU QUEEN CARL,HERMINATOR THE OFFENSE TERMINATOR AND CLUELSS CURLY.

hermhater
12-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Late to the thread, but I'll post anyway.

I grew up in Independence, MO, but was only about 10 miles from the Arrowhead.

When I would go to my grandma's on Sunday, you could hear the crowd yelling several miles away. It was crazy.

My whole family was nuts for the Chiefs. Dad / grandpas / uncles, so it was obvious we young-uns would follow.

But what was the first memory that made me a Chiefs fan? Two things stand out.

1) The police department would give out Chiefs cards. They were not the Topps / Bowman / Fleer cards, but something just for KC. They were about an inch taller than trading cards you purchased. It was great being 7 / 8 and walking up to a police car and asking for some. I still have a lot of them. I really loved the Carla & Warpaint one.... Bonus points if anyone knows who that is....

2) QuickTrip had a "Chiefs Huddle Club" program. You signed up and got a package of "stuff". There were Chiefs stickers and you could get an end-zone ticket to the game. My first game was against Seattle in the early 80's.

Why am I a die-hard Chiefs fan today? Look at the pick. I'm the guy with the red mohawk. The guy next to me is my brother who drove into St. Louis to watch the Chiefs play the Rams. If you want to experience Arrowhead, the Chiefs will be back in STL in 6 or 7 years. The Dome turns into Arrowhead East when they are here, with at least 50% Chiefs fans. You get a little bit of the feel for it. A Rams home game is nothing compared to KC. No tailgating (and you cannot say "we do" because it is 30 - 40 people at a time, not thousands in the same lot....).

It's my connection to male family members. It's home. 85% of the conversations I have had with my dad in the last 5 - 10 years are Chiefs related. You could say it's the only thing that keeps us civil.

When my third daughter was born I called my cousin this year and said "I heard Priest will play again today." We talked for about 5 minutes and he said "What else is going on?". I said "We had the baby!". Obviously I was more excited about my daughter and was trying to be silly with him, but I was VERY excited Priest would be back....

As to why we hate the Raiders: My dad and uncle tell stories about 60's / 70's with Raiders fans throwing beers on the Chiefs players. The defense played dirty. The "Raider mystique" only means thugs who take cheap shots. A Chargers fan was killed going to a game in Oakland. Al Davis has no integrity. What else do you need...

It was a hard, hard time when Bo Jackson played for the Royals & the Raiders. You might want to look for some articles on Bo during the time to understand a little more of the rivalry. I'm sure there was a lot written on it then...

Rambling done.

I remember War Paint!

I miss them after scores!!!

Rep man!

:yahoo:

stlchief
12-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Warpaint was cool, but I was sweet on Carla.

:-)

I think I still have that card....

PawnshopMarimba
12-10-2007, 05:34 PM
I started watching the Chiefs when I was probably 4 or 5 years old with my family. My dad was channel surfing one Sunday afternoon, and stopped at the Chiefs game. It was an injury timeout. Quarterback Steve DeBerg had just broken his finger, and the bone, if I'm remembering this right, was visibly sticking out of his hand.

My mom is a career nurse and was sort of interested in what was going on, so we stayed on the channel for a bit. We ended up watching the rest of the game, along with DeBerg triumphantly returning to the game with a massive splint around his little finger. The Chiefs lost that game against the Oilers, but from then I was hooked. I remember being so in awe of DeBerg for being so incredibly tough and coming back to play after receiving such a gruesome looking injury. We watched every game the rest of that season, and I haven't missed a Chiefs game since.

Edit: I just realized that the game I'm talking about happened EXACTLY 17 years ago on December 9th. How odd.

hermhater
12-10-2007, 05:40 PM
I started watching the Chiefs when I was probably 4 or 5 years old with my family. My dad was channel surfing one Sunday afternoon, and stopped at the Chiefs game. It was an injury timeout. Quarterback Steve DeBerg had just broken his finger, and the bone, if I'm remembering this right, was visibly sticking out of his hand.

My mom is a career nurse and was sort of interested in what was going on, so we stayed on the channel for a bit. We ended up watching the rest of the game, along with DeBerg triumphantly returning to the game with a massive splint around his little. The Chiefs lost that game against the Oilers, but from then I was hooked. I remember being so in awe of DeBerg for being so incredibly tough and coming back to play after receiving such a gruesome looking injury. We watched every game the rest of that season, and I haven't missed a Chiefs game since.

Nice story man!

It seems like a lot of players were tougher back then to me.

nigeriannightmare
12-11-2007, 07:13 PM
It's pretty simple I was 7 years old and met my first professional athelete, Bill Kenney, I wanna say the year was 1983/1984 summer of one of them. Been a fan ever since.

anaeelbackwards
12-11-2007, 07:33 PM
long story short.

my first NFL football game back in 1996 vs. the raiders at arrowhead stadium.

and after the game, i got to meet derrick thomas.

one of the most greatest moments in my life.:D

hermhater
12-11-2007, 10:04 PM
It's pretty simple I was 7 years old and met my first professional athelete, Bill Kenney, I wanna say the year was 1983/1984 summer of one of them. Been a fan ever since.

Kenney used to go to the same church as me!

Great guy!

IlovetheChiefs
12-11-2007, 10:16 PM

Kenney used to go to the same church as me!

Great guy!

That's pretty neat about Bill Kenney from both of you. I liked him as our QB back in the 80's.

I was also about 7 or 8 when I met my first pro athlete too - also a quarterback - Sonny Jurgensen. We were in Virginia at an annual festival and he came through the parade on a '73 Chevy Impala. My dad told me to run up and shake his hand. I still have the picture of it that my dad took.

hermhater
12-11-2007, 10:19 PM
That's pretty neat about Bill Kenney from both of you. I liked him as our QB back in the 80's.

I was also about 7 or 8 when I met my first pro athlete too - also a quarterback - Sonny Jurgensen. We were in Virginia at an annual festival and he came through the parade on a '73 Chevy Impala. My dad told me to run up and shake his hand. I still have the picture of it that my dad took.

Put the picture on the site man!

Sonny is a Hall of Famer man!

IlovetheChiefs
12-11-2007, 10:27 PM
I'll try to do that. It's pretty cool cuz my dad snapped it just as I shook his hand (although Sonny used his left hand for some reason so I shook the back of his hand!) Then when my little brother (about 4 at the time) shook his hand Sonny used his right hand. I remember his hand being HUGE (good for gripping the football!)

IlovetheChiefs
12-11-2007, 11:09 PM
I got the pic in my profile picture but too bad it's so small, shucks.

hermhater
12-11-2007, 11:23 PM
I got the pic in my profile picture but too bad it's so small, shucks.

Huh?

Where is the pic?

IlovetheChiefs
12-11-2007, 11:26 PM
I put it in the profile picture but now also put it for my avatar. It's so small you can barely see Sonny's face, eh?

Edit: And that's an understatement!

hermhater
12-11-2007, 11:28 PM
I put it in the profile picture but now also put it for my avatar. It's so small you can barely see Sonny's face, eh?

Edit: And that's an understatement!

Just put the picture real sized in a post.

You can upload a picture at the bottom of the page where you post.

IlovetheChiefs
12-11-2007, 11:33 PM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/C:\Documents and Settings\scott glaize\My Documents\tomscott352000\Picture 38.jpg

Let's see how this is.

Edit: Got that red x. Sorry for all this trouble!

hermhater
12-12-2007, 12:04 AM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/C:%5CDocuments%20and%20Settings%5Cscott%20glaize%5 CMy%20Documents%5Ctomscott352000%5CPicture%2038.jp g

Let's see how this is.

Edit: Got that red x. Sorry for all this trouble!

No worries mate!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2007/12/22.jpg

Nice!

IlovetheChiefs
12-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Cool, thanks! :)

timsatt1
12-12-2007, 12:40 AM
well i have an autographed football from bo jackson that says to Tim from bo jackson

sitting on my mantle above the fire place. yes i know he was a damn raider but it is still a cool possession.

timsatt1
12-12-2007, 12:42 AM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/timsatt1/Picture12.jpg

hermhater
12-12-2007, 12:44 AM
well i have an autographed football from bo jackson that says to Tim from bo jackson

sitting on my mantle above the fire place. yes i know he was a damn raider but it is still a cool possession.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

I'm still conflicted about Bo.

I was a Royals fan when he played, as well as a Chiefs fan.

I like the guy, just can't get it why he went to the Raiders.

Nice signature though.

timsatt1
12-12-2007, 12:46 AM

Nice signature though.

they must have offered him the right amount of money.

but it would have been cool if he was with the chiefs and royals and they had a game on the same day he could finish one game then run to the other stadium and play. :)

didnt dion sanders play an nfl and mlb game in the same day once? i think he did.

prough91
12-12-2007, 01:50 AM

Nice signature though.

I hated him seasonally.

IlovetheChiefs
12-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Yep I liked Bo as a Royal but not as a Raider!

I remember that one Monday Night game in 1987 in Seattle where he played phenominal. I think on one goal line stance he was one on one right in front of Brian Bosworth and jumped over him for the score.
(I guess Bo and the Boz were both ultimately football flops, though. Well Boz for sure!)

IlovetheChiefs
12-12-2007, 09:12 AM
I take it back about Bo being a football flop. That was pretty silly of me! Just cuz an injury ended his career in no way means a guy averaging over 5 yards a carry is a flop!

prough91
12-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Yep I liked Bo as a Royal but not as a Raider!

I remember that one Monday Night game in 1987 in Seattle where he played phenominal. I think on one goal line stance he was one on one right in front of Brian Bosworth and jumped over him for the score.
(I guess Bo and the Boz were both ultimately football flops, though. Well Boz for sure!)

The best part of that deal was that Boz was mouthing all week how he was going to smack Bo down. Bo don't know smack down.

IlovetheChiefs
12-12-2007, 01:20 PM
The best part of that deal was that Boz was mouthing all week how he was going to smack Bo down. Bo don't know smack down.

Definitely, and I think I recall that Boz clearly had Bo stopped but couldn't tackle him but rather Bo knocked him backwards! A classic moment. So much for Bosworth(less).

hermhater
12-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Definitely, and I think I recall that Boz clearly had Bo stopped but couldn't tackle him but rather Bo knocked him backwards! A classic moment. So much for Bosworth(less).

Yep that game was played on his 25th birthday and he set the single game rushing record (at the time).

Still wish it wasn't for the freakin' Raiders though...

Geesh..

IlovetheChiefs
12-12-2007, 03:40 PM
The Raiders also played a MNF game in Seattle the prior year and they got totally annihilated. I had a good time the next day saying to a Raider fan (who wore a Raider shirt that next day), "So how did the Raiders do last night?"
So before the one in '87 I thought the Raiders were going to get shelacked again, esp. since they were like on a seven game losing streak. But Bo made all the difference.

hermhater
12-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Bo truly looked like a man among boys that night!

He made the Seahawks look like peewee league!

IlovetheChiefs
12-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Yeah kind of like how Marcus Allen also made the Redskins look in that 38-9 Super Bowl romp. Marcus had that one dazzling, incredible td run but, again, too bad it had to be for the (yuck!) raiders! But at least Marcus eventually went from the worst team to the best team to finish out his career!