PDA

View Full Version : The biggest issue with this team

matthewschiefs
12-18-2022, 07:29 PM
I know that a lot of people will claim that it's the defense and they need to fire Spaggs and I just don't agree.

It's the turnovers.

So many points that this team has allowed this year have come because we have turned the ball over. Giving teams a short field and a sudden change. Most defenses in the league struggle with that.

At least half the points the last 2 weeks have come after turnovers. 14 in back to back weeks. Other games that I have looked at in this regard are the Bengals game without the 7 points off a fumble on our own side of the 50 we allow just 20 points to that offense. (below average) We allowed just 24 to the Bills (again below average) with 2 turnovers.

Let me make myself 100% clear. In no way am I saying that this defense is great or doesn't need to get better just that they are really being hurt and put in a bad situation by the offense. When we don't put them in a bad situation by turning the ball over they are passable with how this team is built on offense. They at time can be frustrating even without the turnovers but they also have a habit of making a game changing play like the 99 yard iNT return against the Chargers or what they did in OT today.

If we don't help the opponent the Chiefs have just as good of a chance to win as any other team in the NFL. We have to stop the turnovers or we won't have a successful post season. Turnovers are the biggest issue with this team. The good news is that is something our guys can control. TAKE CARE OF THE FOOTBALL.

Seek
12-19-2022, 03:18 PM
It's coaching in general. We refuse to take the weaknesses of other teams and use that. Instead we continue to do the same predictable stuff. From refusing to run. The ball on teams who can't stop the run to leaving line backs covering receivers because spags has to bits on 3rd and long with a dB.

Eydugstr
12-22-2022, 10:53 AM
I know that a lot of people will claim that it's the defense and they need to fire Spaggs and I just don't agree.

It's the turnovers.

So many points that this team has allowed this year have come because we have turned the ball over. Giving teams a short field and a sudden change. Most defenses in the league struggle with that.

At least half the points the last 2 weeks have come after turnovers. 14 in back to back weeks. Other games that I have looked at in this regard are the Bengals game without the 7 points off a fumble on our own side of the 50 we allow just 20 points to that offense. (below average) We allowed just 24 to the Bills (again below average) with 2 turnovers.

Let me make myself 100% clear. In no way am I saying that this defense is great or doesn't need to get better just that they are really being hurt and put in a bad situation by the offense. When we don't put them in a bad situation by turning the ball over they are passable with how this team is built on offense. They at time can be frustrating even without the turnovers but they also have a habit of making a game changing play like the 99 yard iNT return against the Chargers or what they did in OT today.

If we don't help the opponent the Chiefs have just as good of a chance to win as any other team in the NFL. We have to stop the turnovers or we won't have a successful post season. Turnovers are the biggest issue with this team. The good news is that is something our guys can control. TAKE CARE OF THE FOOTBALL.

Actually I'd argue this year Spags' D has been the reason we've been able to win a lot of the games. The Texans game was a perfect example. A combination of Spags' making second half adjustments, our secondary really developing and our draft this year really paid off. Yes, we get burnt sometimes, but overall I just don't think the D is the "issue" (Man we are spoiled bunch of fans when we're at 11-3 and complaining).

Think you are correct that the turnovers (on offense) are the problem. It's a combination of playcalling, and WR's not being in synch, forcing the ball, and our O-line needing to give that extra second to Mahomes to get the ball thrown.

Our run game has steadily been improving with McKinnon and Pacheco, but after a good series of runs it's like we over-commit to the pass. There's also a lot of times where you'll see Mahomes get a clear running lane, but will hang onto the ball only to set up a pass that goes for three yards.

Our WR's have been improving but not to the point where opposing D's have to take pressure off of Kelce. There were times it seemed like MSV was wide open but we couldn't get him the ball. Getting Hardman back will be nice, maybe that will take some of the heat off the other receivers but if the ball does come their way, no drops.

This season we've been forcing the ball way too many times when we shouldn't. And we are paying for it with injured WR's. Kelce is fantastic but if we're forcing it to him with triple coverage, we're only going to see him on the sidelines during the playoffs. Very glad to see Gray and Watson getting the ball more.

The pass protection has got to get better. Too many times opposing D's can turn their pass rush off and on like a switch against us. We gave up a huge sack in the fourth quarter because the line couldn't give Mahomes that extra second to turn around and throw. We've got to find that extra second. Also think this problem can be helped by just calling a run play, or just Mahomes using his ability to run more.

Coach
12-22-2022, 02:35 PM
Turnovers have been a big part of it. We are ranked 30th out of 32 teams in the giveaway/takeaway ratio. Not many teams can sport an 11-3 record with that kind of stat. Our passing defense has been suspect all season as suspected. Our special teams has been forgettable all season when historically it has been a strength. Tyreek is gone, lots of injuries to OL, Hardman, JuJu, CEH, etc. And despite all those bad stats, we are 11-3 and those 3 losses were by 10 points combined. We just won the division, for the 7th straight year and we have a punchers chance at a first round bye. It's not always been pretty, but I feel like we've got a shot against any team come post season.

Seek
12-22-2022, 09:35 PM
So just heard a tactician today on the radio getting into the numbers. Theyl chiefs defense averages 3.8 points a series.

On turn overs the Chiefs allow team to March 58 yards which is then average after the Chiefs turnovers, so short fields are not really an issue.

Most teams are exploiting the Chiefs in the middle behind the linebacker and in front of the safeties. When people asked spags about this, he thought they meant deep over the safties so he wasn't aware how teams are attacking us..