PDA

View Full Version : Deep and insightful thought about Herm.

hermhater
12-26-2007, 03:37 AM
No insult from me here, just an article.

A House Divided http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2007/12/236.jpg
Gregory Shamus - Getty

By Darren Carter (javascript:location.href='http://search.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22' + escape('Darren Carter') + '%22&sssiteid=66';)
Warpaint Illustrated Columnist
Posted Dec 25, 2007

You know the old saying, “Hindsight is 20/20,” meaning that we can always look back with more clarity than we can look forward. In hindsight, Kansas City’s 2007 season was doomed long before it began. Why? Because the Chiefs were a house divided.

One of the greatest teachers of all time once said, “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand.” The end of the article will reveal the teacher.

The Chiefs’ division came to fruition in the 2007 offseason and in training camp. When Herm Edwards first arrived in 2006 he was very clear that the team he inherited was aging (one of the oldest in the NFL) and needed a strong infusion of youth. Simply put, the roster needed to be turned over.

He never stated this, but judging by his actions and reading between the lines of his actual statements, I believe Edwards’ plan was to use 2006 as a talent evaluation year before overhauling the roster in 2007. The only problem was that Edwards’ became a victim of his own success, taking a team that probably should not have made the playoffs to the playoffs. The 2006 season was fool’s gold and division was born.

I believe for the most part, Edwards wanted to stay with his plan and go full bore with the roster overhaul. However, at the same time, several members of the Chiefs’ brain trust saw the glitter of the gold and thought the Chiefs were a few tweaks away from competing for the AFC Championship.

Unfortunately, it follows that Herm himself also allowed himself to be convinced of the glitter of a fourth playoff appearance in his six years of coaching. I think he had an internal struggle between what he knew had to be done and the potential gold within his reach.

So the Chiefs did the unthinkable - they attempted to do both. They tried to tweak the team, while still proclaiming a youth movement. The moment that decision was made, failure was determined.

Our previously mentioned great teacher taught, “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other.” Surely we saw this happen over the course of 17 weeks. By season’s end, the Chiefs and their fans hated the roster that had been formed.

The best example came in the management of the quarterback position. If the Chiefs had committed to another season with their sights set on the Super Bowl, they would have committed to Trent Green as the starting quarterback. Even with his declining skills, Green was the best leader Kansas City had in the clubhouse to guide the team through the chase of the glitter.

If the Chiefs had committed to a new regime they would have committed to Brodie Croyle (http://oak.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=8&c=1&nid=2980118) and decided to live with his youthful mistakes from the very beginning. The compromise was Damon Huard (http://oak.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=8&c=1&nid=2980132), a player who did well enough in 2006 to perhaps lead the chase of the glitter, but was limited in talent enough to allow Croyle a shot to win the job.

The crumbling of the season doesn’t lay at Huard’s feet, but the decision to commit to Huard as a viable candidate is an example of the division within KC’s house.

Most will blame the chasing of the glitter on Carl Peterson, and he probably was behind it. Edwards was complicit, as were others in the organization. It worked for a while as the Chiefs jumped out to a 4-3 record in an uncharacteristically weak AFC West, but then it all came crashing down.

The age and rapidly declining skill level of the offensive line forced the defense to play more snaps early in the season than most defenses. The result was an offense whose foundation (the line) broke down and the defense simply wore down. A current eight-game losing streak is all that is left of this crumbling house.

How to fix it? Fire Herm? Not likely.

He simply needs to execute the plan he came with. The Chiefs currently have at least 10 draft picks and before it’s all said and done, may acquire a few more. Kansas City has plenty of cap space to go after a few key free agents (none of which will have more than five years of experience in the NFL).

Fire Carl? It’s the prevailing sentiment in Kansas City, but not the correct move.

Instead, Peterson needs to take on the role of execution, rather than strategist. Edwards should be allowed free reign of the coaching staff and the roster. Peterson needs to be the one who executes that plan. Taking a lesser role may be tough for a strong personality such as Peterson, but it’s a necessary step.

The question before the Chiefs is “How long will you waver between two opinions?” I believe that question has already been answered. This offseason will see an overhaul of the roster and perhaps the coaching staff (at least the offensive side). Sadly, the commitment to do so is about a year overdue.

As for our teacher, as I braved the bitter cold last week to watch the final bricks come down on this season in a disappointing loss to the Titans. I over heard two of my fellow fans confess to skipping church to attend KC’s final home game, and I imagine quite a few of the other 40,000 fans did the same.

That being the case, I mixed in some Biblical teaching to help fill the spiritual gap for some of us. Our teacher is none other than Jesus Christ himself, quoted from Matthew 12:25 and Matthew 6:24. The question posed to the Chiefs is from Kings 18:21.

http://oak.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=2&c=714261

(javascript:location.href='http://search.scout.com/a.z?s=66&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22' + escape('Darren Carter') + '%22&sssiteid=66';)

luv
12-26-2007, 08:59 AM
If I wanted Warpaint articles, I'd subscribe.

Canada
12-26-2007, 09:00 AM
If I wanted Warpaint articles, I'd subscribe.

Someone pee in your cereal this morning??

luv
12-26-2007, 09:01 AM
Someone pee in your cereal this morning??
I just don't like Warpaint.

wolfpack
12-26-2007, 10:11 AM
i remember years ago there was a newspaper-like magazine that was put out. cant remember the but it came every week during the season,once after it was all over ,draft time and at training camp. it was pretty good reading till they went bankrupt and i lost half of my money. but even back then my youngest son would read it cover to cover then cut out the pics of chief players. it would cover the last game and break down the next plus alot on the players.

Hayvern
12-26-2007, 02:02 PM
This is directly inline with the other article I posted that talked about how Herm needed time to execute his plan. Unfortunately, I still do not believe in Herm as a head coach. He would be good for a college team perhaps, there he would have a lot more involvement in youthful ballplayers and maybe learn to understand and motivate them, but here I think he does not have the experience, nor the eye for what he is attempting to do.

Again, I look at it like this. Would you ask a kid at Jiffy Lube to overhaul your car engine? He might be a smart kid and might know a lot about engines, but he is not the first person I would go to. Herm Edwards would be better off working at Jiffy Lube for a few seasons.

texaschief
12-26-2007, 07:17 PM
this is exactly my take....except i disagree with keeping Carl. He's had more than enough time.

Chiefster
12-26-2007, 07:21 PM
You know the old saying, “Hindsight is 20/20,” meaning that we can always look back with more clarity than we can look forward. In hindsight, Kansas City’s 2007 season was doomed long before it began. Why?...

Because herm's an idiot!

hermhater
12-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Because herm's an idiot!

And he is leading our team down the drain...

:mob:

spiman
12-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Now Now haters. Give Herm a chance to at least help us draft well next year. Then fire his A#=. What coach is out there to get? Dickna/Madless or Johnsonless. Tell me who? I Don't like Herm since the TRADER game! How the F### we lost that game still pisses me off. Also draft day is coming soon enough. ( I watch nearly all of it the first day painting the inside of some ones house ) Need paint? The only thing that I'm really wondering (besides "o" line) Croyle. The Chiefs were 1! pick away from from Quinn last yr. Freaking Dallas.. I hope Huard starts our last game of a S### season. I hate saying this "There is allways next season!" Who knows how many I have left..

Chiefster
12-26-2007, 09:35 PM
And he is leading our team down the drain...

:mob:

Yep!

Now Now haters. Give Herm a chance to at least help us draft well next year. Then fire his A#=. What coach is out there to get? Dickna/Madless or Johnsonless. Tell me who? I Don't like Herm since the TRADER game! How the F### we lost that game still pisses me off. Also draft day is coming soon enough. ( I watch nearly all of it the first day painting the inside of some ones house ) Need paint? The only thing that I'm really wondering (besides "o" line) Croyle. The Chiefs were 1! pick away from from Quinn last yr. Freaking Dallas.. I hope Huard starts our last game of a S### season. I hate saying this "There is allways next season!" Who knows how many I have left..

Not to be personal but are you sick?

spiman
12-26-2007, 10:52 PM
Very sick of this season.. But I will be whining in late Feb When does football start. Again// When is the next game\\etc.etc I'm healthy as an ox.. I just want tha Chiefs to do sooo much better..

Chiefster
12-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Very sick of this season.. But I will be whining in late Feb When does football start. Again// When is the next game\etc.etc I'm healthy as an ox.. I just want tha Chiefs to do sooo much better..

On this you and I see eye to eye! :bananen_smilies046:

spiman
12-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Who you guys bet if Dallas play's Greenbay? Watching bowl game Purdue Wow his wife o/k Mich come back kings..

hermhater
12-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Who you guys bet if Dallas play's Greenbay? Watching bowl game Purdue Wow his wife o/k Mich come back kings..

I will give Dallas the edge.

Not sure what the rest of your post meant though!

:lol:

Chiefster
12-26-2007, 11:15 PM

I hate to say it but I think Dallas wins that game. I'm assuming you mean in the playoffs.

spiman
12-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Yes playoffs.,,, Purdue wins..I betting with the old man.. G.B.

hermhater
12-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Yes playoffs.,,, Purdue wins..I betting with the old man.. G.B.

Did that game just end?

I watched the beginning about 4 hours ago. Wow must have been a good one.

spiman
12-27-2007, 12:47 AM
U MISSED !!!!!1 I'm in jail and I do This..X-mas Chiefs stuff---Priceless //not Got It-- What size do I Wear? Biggest....VISA

hermhater
12-27-2007, 12:52 AM
U MISSED !!!!!1 I'm in jail and I do This..X-mas Chiefs stuff---Priceless //not Got It-- What size do I Wear? Biggest....VISA

Too bad I missed the rest of the game...

Could you translate the rest of the post?

Guru
12-27-2007, 12:58 AM
Herm has no insight. What is the point of this thread?

hermhater
12-27-2007, 01:00 AM

The author said many things that I agreed with, and I felt the need to post a relevant Chiefs article because of all the flak that I have been taking over the parrots and cats.

I was trying to post something Chiefs discussion worthy, but I could always post another parrot...

:D

spiman
12-27-2007, 01:03 AM
Can I write *****EN?

hermhater
12-27-2007, 01:04 AM
Can I write *****EN?

Just did!

What are you in jail for?

spiman
12-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Censored. 30 seconds 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 cannot count.

Guru
12-27-2007, 01:05 AM
Can I write *****EN?
Only because of your avatar.

spiman
12-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Guns But what is really funnyyyy is my public service sentence is at the Sheriff gun range..

Chiefster
12-27-2007, 01:08 AM

Like I've always said: Herm's an idiot; as to the point of this thread the reasons are as follows:

That is all.

Nite Crowd! :D

hermhater
12-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Guns But what is really funnyyyy is my public service sentence is at the Sheriff gun range..

That is funny!

Chiefster
12-27-2007, 01:16 AM
Only because of your avatar.

Heh!

She gave birth to a Chiefs helmet.

spiman
12-27-2007, 01:22 AM
It's real and Our team\ Well they need killing lessons\ winning .. But Real Glock 40 cal. 223. M-16 norm out her in Calif. Swat\Border\Atf\Customs\DEA-ugh\Undercover\Po'Po\& all Badges come to this wicked place how to kill--us. I kid U not. I bulid the rooms they come for U.

Guru
12-27-2007, 01:34 AM
Heh!

She gave birth to a Chiefs helmet.

You are thinking of the wrong avatar bud. Spimans is pissing on the RAiders.

spiman
12-27-2007, 01:45 AM
Here is better.. I have a 4x8 sheet of anti tank metal-FMC- next door 2 me-To work with They(THINK I will design target for Winn/REMM//ETC tests out here.. Anti Tank armor for Well US TOO KIll & TRAIN ON US TOO SHOOT! HUMAN TARGETS..GET IT..CENTER MASS.

Chiefster
12-27-2007, 08:54 AM
You are thinking of the wrong avatar bud. Spimans is pissing on the RAiders.

Ooops! got "avatar" confused with "signature".

:lol::lol:

McLovin
12-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Ooops! got "avatar" confused with "signature".

:lol::lol:

Its OK at your age we can hardly expect you to get out of bed in the morning much less know the difference in avatar and signature. We are just blessed with your presence and thankful for every day we have with your old a$$.

:lol::lol::lol:

Chiefster
12-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Its OK at your age we can hardly expect you to get out of bed in the morning much less know the difference in avatar and signature. We are just blessed with your presence and thankful for every day we have with your old a$$.

It's getting increasingly more difficult to roll out of bed since I started taking that little blue pill.

McLovin
12-27-2007, 01:20 PM
It's getting increasingly more difficult to roll out of bed since I started taking that little blue pill.
Hmmm more like pole vaulting.

Chiefster
12-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Hmmm more like pole vaulting.