PDA

View Full Version : '08 opponents

texaschief
12-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Kansas City's Opponents Determined for 2008
Dec 31, 2007, 10:48:53 AM

The Chiefs 2008 regular season opponents were determined on Monday, as well as opponents for all 32 teams in the NFL. The complete 2008 NFL schedule including dates and times will be determined at a later date.

Kansas City’s schedule for 2008 features five games with four teams that qualified for the 2007 playoffs. In addition to two games against AFC West champion San Diego, the Chiefs will also face AFC East champion New England, NFC South winner Tampa Bay and AFC Wild Card qualifier Tennessee.

Based on Kansas City’s third-place finish in the AFC West, the Chiefs will host Tennessee at Arrowhead in 2008. The Titans were the third-place finisher in the AFC South. The Chiefs will also travel to Cincinnati to take on the Bengals, based on the their third-place finish in the AFC North. The Chiefs have hosted the Bengals in three straight seasons, but will visit Cincinnati for the first time since 2003.

As always, the Chiefs will again have a home-and-home series with AFC West opponents Oakland, Denver and San Diego. Members of the AFC West will play all four teams in both the AFC East and NFC South in 2008.

Tampa Bay will make its first trip to Arrowhead since ‘86, the second-longest current streak a team has gone without traveling to an opponent. Coincidently, the Buccaneers also hold the longest such NFL streak, having never played at Buffalo in their 32-year franchise history. New Orleans will visit Arrowhead in 2008 for the first time in the regular season since ‘97. Miami last came to Kansas City in 2002 and Buffalo will make its first appearance at Arrowhead Stadium since 2003.

In addition to the aforementioned games at Cincinnati and New England, the other AFC road trip for the Chiefs in 2008 will be a game at the N.Y. Jets for the second consecutive season. The Chiefs contest with the Panthers will mark Kansas City’s first regular season visit to Carolina since ‘97. The Chiefs will also travel to Atlanta for the first time since the 2000 season finale.

HOME
Buffalo
Miami
Tennessee
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Denver
Oakland
San Diego

AWAY
New England
NY Jets
Cincinnati
Atlanta
Carolina
Denver
Oakland
San Diego

If they can fix this O-line, the Chiefs make the playoffs next year with these opponents.

Coach
12-31-2007, 02:13 PM
8-8?

for ever red
12-31-2007, 02:14 PM
Right now i dont see anyone on that list that they can beat.

Canada
12-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Miami??

Coach
12-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Miami??

I thought for sure you would post 19-0.

Canada
12-31-2007, 02:24 PM
I am waiting to see the draft before I predict our 19-0 season.

greg3564
12-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Miami??

I'm not even sure we could be beat them. With the Tuna running things they may improve. We, on the other hand, are stuck with the same crappy GM and head coach. We just got beat by a 3 win team. A 3 win team that ran the ball 199 yards on our supposed "great" defense.

Looking at that schedule, and the fact that Carl and Herm aren't looking at free agent help, we finish 4-12 again.

HOME
Buffalo Win
Miami Win
Tennessee Loss
New Orleans Loss
Tampa Bay Loss
Denver Loss
Oakland Win
San Diego Loss

AWAY
New England Loss
NY Jets Win
Cincinnati Loss
Atlanta Loss
Carolina Loss
Denver Loss
Oakland Loss
San Diego Loss

Northcountry68
12-31-2007, 03:30 PM
If the chiefs build a solid oline and decide who the heck there quarterback is maybe. If LJ would get the sand out from where the sun doesn't shine and Bowe continues to progress the offense may improve. If the offense improves and the defense doesn't get worse We might be a wildcard team.

Canada
12-31-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm not even sure we could be beat them. With the Tuna running things they may improve. We, on the other hand, are stuck with the same crappy GM and head coach. We just got beat by a 3 win team. A 3 win team that ran the ball 199 yards on our supposed "great" defense.

Looking at that schedule, and the fact that Carl and Herm aren't looking at free agent help, we finish 4-12 again.

HOME
Buffalo Win
Miami Win
Tennessee Loss
New Orleans Loss
Tampa Bay Loss
Denver Loss
Oakland Win
San Diego Loss

AWAY
New England Loss
NY Jets Win
Cincinnati Loss
Atlanta Loss
Carolina Loss
Denver Loss
Oakland Loss
San Diego Loss

It always amazes me how the doubters seem to find competence in teams like Denver, New Orleans, Cincinnati and Atlanta. The fact that you think those are teams that will eat us make me question your knowledge of football at all. Miami, Cincy and ATL are all far worse off then we are. Pay Attention

greg3564
12-31-2007, 04:14 PM
It always amazes me how the doubters seem to find competence in teams like Denver, New Orleans, Cincinnati and Atlanta. The fact that you think those are teams that will eat us make me question your knowledge of football at all. Miami, Cincy and ATL are all far worse off then we are. Pay Attention

Listen, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the Chiefs finished 28th in the NFL.

You're right in that New Orleans, Cinci, Atlanta and Denver are not super teams. But, all have better records with the exception of Atlanta. This is not the Chiefs of old and we are not going to go from a 4-12 season to what some people might believe to be a wildcard. NO WAY!

Carl and Herm have made it quite clear that they are going to rebuild through the draft and not free agency. In order for that to work it will take several seasons to see an improvement. Show me ONE THING that says we will beat more than 4 teams next year. We will shed a bunch of veterans and replace them with guys who have little or no NFL experience. Throw in the fact that we have zero home field advantage and honestly, we will be lucky to win 4 games.

Three7s
12-31-2007, 04:39 PM
I think we can win 5, maybe 6. Atlanta isn't very good, neither is Oakland.

PawnshopMarimba
12-31-2007, 04:49 PM
BEST case scenario I see right now is 10-6 out of that schedule, which, as we Chiefs fans know from personal experience doesn't guarantee a playoff berth.

IlovetheChiefs
12-31-2007, 04:57 PM
Very hard to predict a record at this point anyway. And hard to say who's good and who isn't for 2008. Atlanta and Oakland may not be very good now. But they may surprise next year. So much can change between now and September. We saw a big difference in 2006 and 2007 with a lot of teams.
No one thought Cleveland would be 10-6 after a string of awful years. And Green Bay after two lousy seasons surprised everyone by becoming one of the best teams this year. The Saints went way down from last year. As did the Bears who made the Super Bowl last year to a losing record. The Eagles went from first to last (and even in August of this year people were picking the Eagles to win the division). The Ravens went from 13-3 to 4-12! But if we looked at the 2007 Ravens schedule from December 31st last year, it'd be easy to say "They'll beat this team. And here's a win. etc." Cuz it'd be assuming the 13-3 Ravens would be good again the following year.
And of course the Chiefs and Jets both had terrible 4-12 records this year. But a year prior were 9-7 and 10-6 respectively and both made the playoffs.
Too early for me to say "Oh Denver is a loss, Oakland is a win", etc. Denver played like crap this year most of the time. And usually they do good. So who knows whether Denver declines even more next year or if they rebound. (Jay Cutler himself is a big question mark. So far he hasn't materialized into the QB they hope he will to. How he does in 2008 we can't know yet).

Three7s
12-31-2007, 05:18 PM
I know all of that, but it's fun to give predictions just as of what you know now! If we make all of the right moves, and the best case scenario happens with each of them, we may very well be 11-5 or so next year.

IlovetheChiefs
12-31-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm hoping to be able to go along with Canada's possible upcoming prediction --> that we go 19-0 next year. :)

And just think, that could mean TWO perfect seasons in the NFL in a row. First the Patriots and then the Chiefs!

texaschief
12-31-2007, 06:52 PM
HOME
Buffalo-W
Miami-W
Tennessee-W
New Orleans-L
Tampa Bay-L
Denver-W
Oakland-W
San Diego-W

AWAY
New England-L
NY Jets-W
Cincinnati-L
Atlanta-W
Carolina-L
Denver-L
Oakland-W
San Diego-L

Assuming they fix the O-line, i can see a 9-7 at the worst and a 12-4 at the best. My only concern would be against teams who can throw the ball. While i think our #1 priority should be Asante Samuel, i don't see Peterson spending the money to bring him in, especially if he's gonna have to shell out to keep J. Allen. So, i think with all the attention and money that "SHOULD" be payed toward the O-line, i don't see much of an upgrade at CB unless we can land a couple gems in the draft.

While we all know that the Chiefs should go after an OL with their first pick, drafting a guy like Glenn Dorsey could prolong the careers of Surtain and Law by applying more pressure up the middle on the line. (this is not what i would do, but it's a line of thinking)

I'm not all doom and gloom like a lot of people on here. I don't think this team is all that far off. I like watching our young players play. I wish Croyle could've played more. I loved watching Bowe. He's gonna be a beast next year if we can get a consistent QB to toss him the ball. Personally, I'd like to see Gray from Jax under center for us....but that's only a dream. The safeties got a year under their belt and will be solid pros. The LBs are a solid group. The DEs are going to be AWESOME for years. Boone was a great addition and our 2nd and 3rd round picks got alot of experience.

It took ONLY 2 years to bring our defense from worst in the league to being on the verge of a top 10 defense. Why couldn't that work for the offense? I think the building and the efficiency of that building of our offense will depend on our Offensive Coordinator. Obviously, it won't be Mike Solari. I've tossed out names like Brian Billick (who was fired today) and Mike Martz (who will be fired soon) as possible names to step in. The questions there will be if upper management want to spend money on a big name coordinator.

I knew Herm could rebuild our defense. But like everyone here, i have questions when it comes to him building an offense. I would really like to see Billick take over the offense. His offensive mind set works well with a team based on defense. A solid ground game with a QB who wont turn over the ball with a couple big targets in T-Go and D-Bo and perhaps another WR in the 2nd round in Mario Manningham or Limus Sweed.

I've already posted my thoughts on which FAs we should go after and how we could best rebuild our O-line. If those things could happen, this team isn't very far off from being a title contender year in and year out.

prough91
12-31-2007, 07:02 PM
Listen, I don't mean to burst your bubble, but the Chiefs finished 28th in the NFL.

You're right in that New Orleans, Cinci, Atlanta and Denver are not super teams. But, all have better records with the exception of Atlanta. This is not the Chiefs of old and we are not going to go from a 4-12 season to what some people might believe to be a wildcard. NO WAY!

Carl and Herm have made it quite clear that they are going to rebuild through the draft and not free agency. In order for that to work it will take several seasons to see an improvement. Show me ONE THING that says we will beat more than 4 teams next year. We will shed a bunch of veterans and replace them with guys who have little or no NFL experience. Throw in the fact that we have zero home field advantage and honestly, we will be lucky to win 4 games.

If the offense had been even slightly better, they could have finished 9-7 this year, there was only 2 games they really didn't have a chance. (Denver and Houston). Also, I really don't think they will lose home advantage unless they start sucking again. I guarantee Arrowhead for the first half of the season was still just as hard to play at, the team just couldn't get it done.

wolfpack
12-31-2007, 07:04 PM
usually it isnt real hard to guess the record but next year mightbe harder.
1) HERMMIE STILL THE COACH
2) dont know who is going to run the offense
3) what about the o-line
4) defense looked bad during the 9 game losing streak
5) special teams
6) did i say herm edwards will stillbe the coach
we might beat the phins and the faiders once,other than that its up in the air.

Chiefster
12-31-2007, 07:09 PM
At this point I wouldn't even venture a guess at how many games we'll win next year. I feel fairly certain that it will be far less then the number of games we'll lose.

Canada
12-31-2007, 07:38 PM
win 19??

McLovin
12-31-2007, 10:06 PM
Im going to throw this out there, if Clark keeps both Hermie and CP then I hope this team goes 0-16 as a reward for his stupidity. And really that might not be far off. As more of a reward maybe a home game sellout, to the opposition. And lots and lots of blackouts taking money out of Clarks pockets. I may love a restaurant but if I cant get a good server then I quit going there. As for right now, I am not looking forward to 2008, stupid is as stupid does and the Chiefs have no future with Hermie.

sling58
01-02-2008, 12:22 PM

I would have to agree. Did anyone see Atlanta or Cincy play this year?

Three7s
01-02-2008, 02:50 PM
I agree that those are bad teams, we even beat the Bengals, but we also lost to the Jets, who were awful on the offensive side of the ball. One guy did all the work for them.

Canada
01-02-2008, 05:23 PM
I agree that those are bad teams, we even beat the Bengals, but we also lost to the Jets, who were awful on the offensive side of the ball. One guy did all the work for them.

I am counting the jets game as one that secured our draft pick. no one cared and it showed in their play. give us the jets in week 3 and we whoop their asses

IlovetheChiefs
01-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Kansas City's Opponents Determined for 2008

HOME
Buffalo
Miami
Tennessee
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Denver
Oakland
San Diego

AWAY
New England
NY Jets
Cincinnati
Atlanta
Carolina
Denver
Oakland
San Diego

Only ONE of these '08 opponents has beaten us more times than we've beaten them (Buffalo - we are 16-19-1 against them)!

CHIEFS OWN THE NFL !!!!

chief31
01-02-2008, 07:02 PM
8-8?

Do you really expect the Chiefs to win all of those road games (8)? Because we werwe terrible at home. :lol:

Very hard to predict a record at this point anyway. And hard to say who's good and who isn't for 2008. Atlanta and Oakland may not be very good now. But they may surprise next year. So much can change between now and September. We saw a big difference in 2006 and 2007 with a lot of teams.
No one thought Cleveland would be 10-6 after a string of awful years. And Green Bay after two lousy seasons surprised everyone by becoming one of the best teams this year. The Saints went way down from last year. As did the Bears who made the Super Bowl last year to a losing record. The Eagles went from first to last (and even in August of this year people were picking the Eagles to win the division). The Ravens went from 13-3 to 4-12! But if we looked at the 2007 Ravens schedule from December 31st last year, it'd be easy to say "They'll beat this team. And here's a win. etc." Cuz it'd be assuming the 13-3 Ravens would be good again the following year.
And of course the Chiefs and Jets both had terrible 4-12 records this year. But a year prior were 9-7 and 10-6 respectively and both made the playoffs.
Too early for me to say "Oh Denver is a loss, Oakland is a win", etc. Denver played like crap this year most of the time. And usually they do good. So who knows whether Denver declines even more next year or if they rebound. (Jay Cutler himself is a big question mark. So far he hasn't materialized into the QB they hope he will to. How he does in 2008 we can't know yet).

Yeah but it is fun to some folks to speculate on what could be. Eventhough the field is wide open.

I, for one, would currently predict another 4-12ish season. But, if the Chiefs impress me this offseason, then that could go as high as 10-6. But part of my 4-12 prediction is based on my prediction that the Chiefs will again dissapoint me in the offseason.

With a new OC, Waters expected to switch positions, Herms low-scoring offensive mentallity and an offensive line that should be full of new people, 10-6 would be as high as I could ever predict for the upcoming season.

O.K. But, did anyone see the Chiefs play? They were rather sad lookin' too.

rbedgood
01-03-2008, 08:56 PM

HOME
Buffalo Win
Miami Win
Tennessee Loss
New Orleans Loss
Tampa Bay Loss
Denver Loss
Oakland Win
San Diego Loss

AWAY
New England Loss
NY Jets Win
Cincinnati Loss
Atlanta Loss
Carolina Loss
Denver Loss
Oakland Loss
San Diego Loss

Dude...i think your a little harsh on the division games, but I wouldn't count on a win in the first game listed (team not to be mentioned). That team has put together a nice core that just barely missed the playoffs this year. Edwards (rookie QB) really started to come on at the end of the season, and they are in decent shape for the salary cap. I'd expect them to continue to improve.

However Carolina is a bad team, so are Miami, Atlanta and Cincinnati. I'd figure those are 4 wins right there. If you can split your division you have at least 7 wins. I'd figure on 9 for next year, looking like this:

HOME
Buffalo Loss
Miami Win
Tennessee Win
New Orleans Loss
Tampa Bay Loss
Denver Win
Oakland Win
San Diego Loss

AWAY
New England Loss
NY Jets Win
Cincinnati Win
Atlanta Win
Carolina Win
Denver Loss
Oakland Win
San Diego Loss

This is all predicated on a good draft and decent FA signings.

greg3564
01-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Dude...i think your a little harsh on the division games, but I wouldn't count on a win in the first game listed (team not to be mentioned). That team has put together a nice core that just barely missed the playoffs this year. Edwards (rookie QB) really started to come on at the end of the season, and they are in decent shape for the salary cap. I'd expect them to continue to improve.

However Carolina is a bad team, so are Miami, Atlanta and Cincinnati. I'd figure those are 4 wins right there. If you can split your division you have at least 7 wins. I'd figure on 9 for next year, looking like this:

HOME
Buffalo Loss
Miami Win
Tennessee Win
New Orleans Loss
Tampa Bay Loss
Denver Win
Oakland Win
San Diego Loss

AWAY
New England Loss
NY Jets Win
Cincinnati Win
Atlanta Win
Carolina Win
Denver Loss
Oakland Win
San Diego Loss

This is all predicated on a good draft and decent FA signings.

I like how optimistic you are. You said "Carolina is a bad team, so are Miami, Atlanta and Cincinnati." I would add the Chiefs to that list. I love how everyone thinks we'll suddenly turn around from 4-12 to 9-7 or 10-6 in one off season. That rarely happens. I hope we do well too. But in all honesty, with Carl and Herm still here, I really don't think we'll do well.

And, all of a sudden, I'm seeing various Jets players and coaches getting mentioned in the news coming to KC. Great, let's bring in a bunch of Herm's cronies to add to his .464 winning record. As long as Herm is here, we'll never be better than a 8-10 win football team "backing our way" into the playoffs.

rbedgood
01-03-2008, 09:48 PM
I like how optimistic you are. You said "Carolina is a bad team, so are Miami, Atlanta and Cincinnati." I would add the Chiefs to that list. I love how everyone thinks we'll suddenly turn around from 4-12 to 9-7 or 10-6 in one off season. That rarely happens. I hope we do well too. But in all honesty, with Carl and Herm still here, I really don't think we'll do well.

And, all of a sudden, I'm seeing various Jets players and coaches getting mentioned in the news coming to KC. Great, let's bring in a bunch of Herm's cronies to add to his .464 winning record. As long as Herm is here, we'll never be better than a 8-10 win football team "backing our way" into the playoffs.

The difference between KC and the other "bad teams" on that list is that a couple players could make all the difference for the Chiefs...Falcons only have 2-3 impact players (DB-DeAngelo Hall, DE-John Abraham, and TE-Crumpler)...they have a lot of holes to fill, starting at QB...Miami will improve, but they are a mess also. Carolina could be better if Delhomme returns, but this was the first season that DeShaun Foster (their primary RB has been healthy) and the only real impact players they have are (DE Peppers and WR Steve Smith.)

The Chiefs need some things to go right, LJ's foot has to heal (his salary would essentially prohibit a trade), they need a good OT in the 1st round and a good Center in the 2nd. I guard in Free Agency to go along with Waters, would give them a sold line. Then all they need is 1 good cover corner and the biggest holes are filled. So by my count you could reasonable expect a 4-5 game swing with the addition of 4 good players, and LJ returning to health. LJ with a good offensive line is a good back. Call him overrated, and I won't argue, but just like Alexander in Seattle, when he has blockers he tears up defenses.

m0ef0e
01-04-2008, 01:19 PM
We will improve by at least 2 wins next year. Possibly 4... I'm going to go ahead and say 8-8.

Canada
01-04-2008, 06:15 PM

And I thought we were gonna be friends. I have to hear about them up here, but Trent Edwards consistently got worse every week. He hardly ever threw a pass over 5 yards and when he did it was picked for a fubbalo loss. They have an overinflated record. They got to play Miami twice, Jets twice, they beat baltimore and cincy. That is 6 of their 7 wins. Dont be fooled into thinkin they are good.

prough91
01-05-2008, 12:01 AM
And I thought we were gonna be friends. I have to hear about them up here, but Trent Edwards consistently got worse every week. He hardly ever threw a pass over 5 yards and when he did it was picked for a fubbalo loss. They have an overinflated record. They got to play Miami twice, Jets twice, they beat baltimore and cincy. That is 6 of their 7 wins. Dont be fooled into thinkin they are good.

Don't ever get canada started on the Bills. I do wonder why he has a pic with his arm around a Bills fan though.

hermhater
01-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Don't ever get canada started on the Bills. I do wonder why he has a pic with his arm around a Bills fan though.

He used to have a caption by it that said "The last time the Fubbalo fan was ever seen..."

Kind of loses the impact without the caption there though, I agree.

Canada
01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
I don't know how to change it

hermhater
01-05-2008, 12:23 AM
I don't know how to change it

Click on User CP at the top of the page, then click Edit Signature.

Then you can type anything you want for your Signature.

Canada
01-05-2008, 12:23 AM
meh....

rbedgood
01-08-2008, 04:11 AM

I know your feeling towards the unmentioned team...thus I don't use their name. I do actually like the way Edwards played within their offense, and as I see it most of the short passes were by design. Although I think the more important piece to their team will be Lynch.

I didn't even mention "said" team. I've learned better...

hermhater
01-08-2008, 04:14 AM
I know your feeling towards the unmentioned team...thus I don't use their name. I do actually like the way Edwards played within their offense, and as I see it most of the short passes were by design. Although I think the more important piece to their team will be Lynch.

It only gets worse....

rbedgood
01-08-2008, 04:23 AM
It only gets worse....

I wasn't the one who used their team name twice in one post...as I learned back in August...that is a dangerous move.

hermhater
01-08-2008, 04:24 AM

I wasn't the one who used their team name twice in one post...as I learned back in August...that is a dangerous move.

Is this a research post?

I can get into that.

rbedgood
01-08-2008, 04:25 AM
Is this a research post?

I can get into that.

Sure have fun...I delegate this research project to you...find out how many people mistakenly learned the hard way not to mention a certain team in their posts.

GO! Oh and no posting until you have an answer...:lol: :lol:

hermhater
01-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Sure have fun...I delegate this research project to you...find out how many people mistakenly learned the hard way not to mention a certain team in their posts.

GO! Oh and no posting until you have an answer...:lol: :lol:

You win.

YouTube takes too long to upload and process videos.

I am answering anyway!

:bananen_smilies046: