PDA

View Full Version : West Coast Offense....Really?

texaschief
01-04-2008, 12:24 AM
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The playbook responsible for the recent high-scoring Chiefs teams but also the worst offense in club history was dumped in the trash when offensive coordinator Mike Solari was fired.

Coach Herm Edwards said the Chiefs would take their offense in a different direction next season. Its exact course won’t be determined until Solari’s replacement is hired.

Edwards wouldn’t confirm or deny any names on his wish list, but sources indicated he planned to speak with Texas-El Paso offensive coordinator Eric Price. The son of UTEP head coach Mike Price, the 41-year-old Eric Price once coached as an offensive assistant for Edwards with the New York Jets.

Running mostly a spread offense, UTEP averaged more than 30 points in three of Price’s four seasons as coordinator. The Miners averaged 35.8 points in 2004 (11th in the country) and 33.6 (26th) last season.

Jacksonville quarterbacks coach Mike Shula also could become a candidate. Shula was the coordinator for Tampa Bay in the late ’90s while Edwards was the Bucs’ secondary coach. Shula later was the head coach at Alabama when Brodie Croyle quarterbacked the Crimson Tide.

Edwards said the new coordinator would have experience whether it’s in the NFL or college. Solari was a career offensive-line coach and was new to game-planning and play-calling.

“You want a guy that’s called plays,” Edwards said. “That’s important. He has to have the ability to adjust as the game’s being played and take advantage of people’s weaknesses.

“You want a guy who understands that the system has to be player-friendly and has to be easy for the players to learn. Players come first. It’s not about plays. It’s about players.”

Edwards fired three other offensive assistants this week: John Matsko (line), Charlie Joiner (wide receivers) and James Saxon (running backs). Solari, Joiner and Saxon all coached under former head coach Dick Vermeil.

“When you hire a new offensive coordinator, you have to give him the ability to hire guys that he wants to hire,” Edwards said. “That’s not fair to him to give him too many of the position coaches.”

It’s no coincidence that the two offensive coaches Edwards retained, Jon Embree (tight ends) and Dick Curl (quarterbacks) joined the Chiefs two years ago after Edwards arrived.

“The guys I let go of are good football coaches,” Edwards said. “It’s been intact for seven years. It’s time to do something different.”

The system helped take the Chiefs to unprecedented heights under Vermeil. The Chiefs were annually among the highest scoring teams in the NFL.

The offense slowed in 2006, its first season with Edwards as the head coach and Solari as the coordinator. In 2007, it barely crawled. The Chiefs scored fewer points and ran for fewer yards per game than ever.

Edwards indicated the new system might incorporate some features of the West Coast offense, but it would have many different wrinkles. That would seem to rule out the return of former Chiefs offensive coordinator Paul Hackett.

“I don’t want to call it the West Coast because when you call it that, people say, ‘Oh, that’s a bunch of little, short passes.’?” Edwards said. “That’s not what we’re going to do. We’re not going to be throwing it in the flat all day. Call it the Chiefs offense, whatever that is.”

Edwards laid out in broad terms his vision for the new system.

I think the "new direction" only affirms that Martz won't be hired and that the Chiefs are leaning toward Bill Callahan as the new OC. Martz runs a similar offense to what was just here. Callahan is known for his West Coast scheme.

Now, the Chiefs DO say it won't be ENTIRELY west coast so that could mean that Callahan is out as well. I don't think the spread is something we could run with this O-line or Brodie as the QB. While Croyle is more mobile than Huard, he's no Vince Young. Plus, we don't have a speedy back which is essential to a spread rushing attack....we have a couple bruisers. That said, i think you can pretty much rule out Price.

In another interesting note....Cam Cameron WAS fired and will be looking for a job. hmmm

texaschief
01-04-2008, 12:32 AM
quick ammendment.....if Darrin McFadden falls to the Chiefs and they like his QB abilities, we could then perhaps run the spread.

rbedgood
01-04-2008, 01:32 AM
quick ammendment.....if Darrin McFadden falls to the Chiefs and they like his QB abilities, we could then perhaps run the spread.

Ummmm...you do know McFadden is a running back...right?! Are you referring to Colt Brennan from Hawaii (they run a spread offense)

hermhater
01-04-2008, 01:39 AM

Ummmm...you do know McFadden is a running back...right?! Are you referring to Colt Brennan from Hawaii (they run a spread offense)

Be careful rbedgood.

He knows more about football than anyone else.

:bananen_smilies046:

McLovin
01-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Be careful rbedgood.

McFadden is a QB he just doesn't know it. TexasChief said it so it must be true. You know he is from Texas.

chief31
01-04-2008, 02:10 AM
Be careful rbedgood.

McFadden is a QB he just doesn't know it. TexasChief said it so it must be true. You know he is from Texas.

Come on guys. He hasn't been on that particular horse for a while now. I think we could let that go.

He does bring up alot of ideas for our team and also brings a bunch of information about players and their availability. And generally doesn't have a problem expressing and defending his opinions.

Also, I don't find texaschief to be overly proud either. He seems willing to change his opinion about some matters.

While he can definitely be a bit rigged, I, for one, do appreciate alot of what he brings here.

However, nice catch rbedgood. :D

hermhater
01-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Come on guys. He hasn't been on that particular horse for a while now. I think we could let that go.

He does bring up alot of ideas for our team and also brings a bunch of information about players and their availability. And generally doesn't have a problem expressing and defending his opinions.

Also, I don't find texaschief to be overly proud either. He seems willing to change his opinion about some matters.

While he can definitely be a bit rigged, I, for one, do appreciate alot of what he brings here.

However, nice catch rbedgood. :D

I do too man.

He told me he knows more about football than I do, in another thread, and I took offense.

We have spirited disputes!

:bananen_smilies046: :lol:

texaschief
01-04-2008, 02:35 AM
i DO know he's listed as a tailback...thanks. BUT...i also know he can throw the ball...

McFadden surpassed Madre Hill as the record holder for most rushing yards in a season at the University of Arkansas in 2006. He is also the centerpiece of the "Wildcat," an offensive formation wherein he usually lines up at quarterback. Since McFadden often played quarterback in high school, he has been a threat to throw the ball, to run the ball, or hand off to another player, (usually fellow running back Felix Jones or fullback Peyton Hillis), thus making the formation a triple threat. The "Wildcat" formation, as practiced at Arkansas, is also known nationally by some as the "501," McFadden's hometown telephone area code which is tattooed on the inside of both of his biceps. The formation has since been officially renamed as the "WildHog" for the 2007 season.

So, like i was saying, if....IF the Chiefs see enough out of his QB ability to be able to coach him up to play the position, he would be a candidate to run the spread. He did have 3 TD passes on 9 attempts in 06 btw. He CAN throw the ball.

prough91
01-04-2008, 02:44 AM
i DO know he's listed as a tailback...thanks. BUT...i also know he can throw the ball...

McFadden surpassed Madre Hill as the record holder for most rushing yards in a season at the University of Arkansas in 2006. He is also the centerpiece of the "Wildcat," an offensive formation wherein he usually lines up at quarterback. Since McFadden often played quarterback in high school, he has been a threat to throw the ball, to run the ball, or hand off to another player, (usually fellow running back Felix Jones or fullback Peyton Hillis), thus making the formation a triple threat. The "Wildcat" formation, as practiced at Arkansas, is also known nationally by some as the "501," McFadden's hometown telephone area code which is tattooed on the inside of both of his biceps. The formation has since been officially renamed as the "WildHog" for the 2007 season.

So, like i was saying, if....IF the Chiefs see enough out of his QB ability to be able to coach him up to play the position, he would be a candidate to run the spread. He did have 3 TD passes on 9 attempts in 06 btw. He CAN throw the ball.

In college. It's hard enough to develop a true QB. How long would it take to develop a tailback?

rbedgood
01-04-2008, 02:48 AM
Guys, I know that Tex typically knows his football...that is why I was fairly diplomatic with the question rather than ripping him a new "one".

Anyhow, I can't see this idea/theory panning out. McFadden will likely be drafted in the top 2-3 picks...drafting a QB out of college is a risk as many don't put up the numbers in the NFL that they did in college (see: Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, Chris Weinke, etc.)...converting from another position to make QB your primary position is nearly unheard of.

The creativity is refreshing, but don't hold your breath on this one.

hermhater
01-04-2008, 02:51 AM

What is happening?

We should draft a QB?

I'm confused.

texaschief
01-04-2008, 02:56 AM
let it be known that i'm not condoning drafting Mcfadden as the QB. I just said he'd be the best option to run the spread if he were to fall to us AND we were sold on running the spread with Price as the new OC....this scenario is THE only way i see Price coming in as the new OC.

But it could be interesting. Imagine Mcfadden recieving the snap with Bowe and Gonzo and perhaps another big WR to throw to while also being able to hand off to Larry Johnson and Kolby Smith.......or run. Talk about an explosive offense....OMG....Just give me a line who can block. :lol:

Tex

hermhater
01-04-2008, 02:57 AM
Now I have posted too late.

I think texas has very valid info.

edit or something:

I hope you didn't post something a-holish.

:lol:

rbedgood
01-04-2008, 03:00 AM
let it be known that i'm not condoning drafting Mcfadden as the QB. I just said he'd be the best option to run the spread if he were to fall to us AND we were sold on running the spread with Price as the new OC....this scenario is THE only way i see Price coming in as the new OC.

But it could be interesting. Imagine Mcfadden recieving the snap with Bowe and Gonzo and perhaps another big WR to throw to while also being able to hand off to Larry Johnson and Kolby Smith.......or run. Talk about an explosive offense....OMG....Just give me a line who can block. :lol:

The key line is there at the end....even if McFadden drops to the Chiefs the only way they can get a Line that can block is by drafting either Jake Long or Sam Baker and going after 1-2 free agent Linemen. A Center or Guard in the 2nd round would be another great addition.

texaschief
01-04-2008, 03:07 AM
i don't know, he could drop.

1-Miami-C. Long (Best D-Player)
2-St. Louis-J. Long (Pace can't stay healthy)
3-Raiders-Dorsey (now that Sapp has retired) the Raiders run a 3-4...they can't pass on Dorsey if he's available.
4-ATL-Ryan (obviously need a QB)
5-....uh, it could happen.

he really only needs to get past the first pick...which unless Dallas or someone trades up, he should be able to do.

Rams need an OT, Raiders can't pass on the DT and ATL can't pass on a QB.

rbedgood
01-04-2008, 03:13 AM
i don't know, he could drop.

1-Miami-C. Long (Best D-Player)
2-St. Louis-J. Long (Pace can't stay healthy)
3-Raiders-Dorsey (now that Sapp has retired)
4-ATL-Ryan (obviously need a QB)
5-....uh, it could happen.

Therein lies the key. If StL goes to the defensive side of the ball, then JLong likely drops to the Chiefs.

texaschief
01-04-2008, 03:19 AM
Therein lies the key. If StL goes to the defensive side of the ball, then JLong likely drops to the Chiefs.

Rams won't go defensive. What in their previous history tells you they're gonna go defensive? They need a franchise OT to replace Pace. They're in position, they're gonna take him. Miami doesn't need a RB, they have a good one....and Ricky Williams.

I think the Chiefs are in good shape at #5 as long as Matt Ryan isn't the one left over. I'd happily take Dorsey, either Long or McFadden before Ryan. QB is not something we should take this year.

Speaking of CHRIS Long though, what are thoughts on Tamba Hali as a DT with Long and Allen on the outside? For real, if J.Long isn't there at 4 or 5, we would be reaching to draft any other OT at that spot in the draft. Either we trade down and gain picks or we take the best player.

rbedgood
01-04-2008, 03:24 AM
Dorsey or Long (either Chris or Jake) would be good picks and fits for the Chiefs needs. As good as McFadden is, they don't need more money tied up at RB. Ryan wouldn't be horrible if they go spend FA money on 2-3 linemen.

However if STL deems that Pace is recovered and will be healthy, they could very likely try to shore up their defense...

texaschief
01-04-2008, 03:32 AM
Dorsey or Long (either Chris or Jake) would be good picks and fits for the Chiefs needs. As good as McFadden is, they don't need more money tied up at RB. Ryan wouldn't be horrible if they go spend FA money on 2-3 linemen.

However if STL deems that Pace is recovered and will be healthy, they could very likely try to shore up their defense...

Pace hasn't been healthy in 2 years. If i knew Croyle wasn't the QB for my franchise, i'd stick with him and do everything i could to grab the #1 pick when Tebow came out. If it took a Ricky Williams type deal, i might even do that. I'd spend the next 2 years building the line and the defense, putting the pieces all together so i could draft that kid. He's as sure a bet as ANYTHING i've ever seen.

then, if he's not "THE REAL DEAL" you've still got Brodie who's had at least 3 years under his belt as the starter.

hermhater
01-04-2008, 03:41 AM
This guy.

Huh.

I have a guess.

chief31
01-04-2008, 04:14 AM

TexGive me that line, and I won't need the rest. :D

m0ef0e
01-04-2008, 11:56 AM
McFadden would be a great threat for the HB pass like the dolts do with LT.

If we are going to try Brodie until we can get a no. 1 (Tebow), I would like to get the SUPER-accurate Chase Daniel. That guy can dust a flea from a hundred yards.

texaschief
01-04-2008, 02:28 PM
McFadden would be a great threat for the HB pass like the dolts do with LT.

If we are going to try Brodie until we can get a no. 1 (Tebow), I would like to get the SUPER-accurate Chase Daniel. That guy can dust a flea from a hundred yards.

yeah, but he's shorter than Doug Flutie. Chase Daniel isn't an NFL QB....well, at least not the SUPER-stud that Tebow will be.

m0ef0e
01-04-2008, 06:18 PM
yeah, but he's shorter than Doug Flutie. Chase Daniel isn't an NFL QB....well, at least not the SUPER-stud that Tebow will be.

Tebow's awesome to be sure. I'm just thinkin with my heart cuz Chase plays for MU.

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
01-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Rams won't go defensive. What in their previous history tells you they're gonna go defensive? They need a franchise OT to replace Pace. They're in position, they're gonna take him. Miami doesn't need a RB, they have a good one....and Ricky Williams.

I think the Chiefs are in good shape at #5 as long as Matt Ryan isn't the one left over. I'd happily take Dorsey, either Long or McFadden before Ryan. QB is not something we should take this year.

Speaking of CHRIS Long though, what are thoughts on Tamba Hali as a DT with Long and Allen on the outside? For real, if J.Long isn't there at 4 or 5, we would be reaching to draft any other OT at that spot in the draft. Either we trade down and gain picks or we take the best player.
how do you get ricky in this the only thing hes good at is cleaning some weed and taking a UA. the funny thing is that ricky has to take drug tests and has plenty of time to study and still fails:lol: :lol:

texaschief
01-04-2008, 07:52 PM
how do you get ricky in this the only thing hes good at is cleaning some weed and taking a UA. the funny thing is that ricky has to take drug tests and has plenty of time to study and still fails:lol: :lol:

the good RB in miami i was talking about is Ronnie Brown. But Ricky still has plenty of talent. He just needs to get back in shape.

m0ef0e
01-05-2008, 01:41 PM
the good RB in miami i was talking about is Ronnie Brown. But Ricky still has plenty of talent. He just needs to get back in shape.

Brown is a stud. Is there still any doubts about his recovery or has his status improved? I would hate to see a runner that exciting have his career cut short by injury. That would be a tragedy. That guy is amazing.

rbedgood
01-08-2008, 01:44 AM
Brown is a stud. Is there still any doubts about his recovery or has his status improved? I would hate to see a runner that exciting have his career cut short by injury. That would be a tragedy. That guy is amazing.

Word is that Brown is already running on the treadmill...he should be ready for training camp. Possibly even Minicamps.

hermhater
01-08-2008, 01:59 AM
Word is that Brown is already running on the treadmill...he should be ready for training camp. Possibly even Minicamps.

http://www.yauidea.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/hamster_usb_bg.jpg

Canada
01-08-2008, 02:01 AM
are we on this thread now??

hermhater
01-08-2008, 02:02 AM
are we on this thread now??

Wii?

Canada
01-08-2008, 02:03 AM
wee

d

rbedgood
01-08-2008, 03:59 AM
:smoke: :puff:
wee...
...d

Yeah, yeah, yeah...the one thing you and Ricky Williams have in common...

Canada
01-08-2008, 04:00 AM
:smoke: :puff:

Yeah, yeah, yeah...the one thing you and Ricky Williams have in common...

Not the only thing...we have both been to New Orleans

rbedgood
01-08-2008, 04:02 AM
Not the only thing...we have both been to New Orleans

You've both been to Canada also...:lol:

Canada
01-08-2008, 04:03 AM
You've both been to Canada also...:lol: :lol: :bananen_smilies046:

hermhater
01-08-2008, 04:16 AM
Too much to laugh at here to post...

Canada
01-08-2008, 08:08 AM
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The playbook responsible for the recent high-scoring Chiefs teams but also the worst offense in club history was dumped in the trash when offensive coordinator Mike Solari was fired.

Coach Herm Edwards said the Chiefs would take their offense in a different direction next season. Its exact course won’t be determined until Solari’s replacement is hired.

Edwards wouldn’t confirm or deny any names on his wish list, but sources indicated he planned to speak with Texas-El Paso offensive coordinator Eric Price. The son of UTEP head coach Mike Price, the 41-year-old Eric Price once coached as an offensive assistant for Edwards with the New York Jets.

Running mostly a spread offense, UTEP averaged more than 30 points in three of Price’s four seasons as coordinator. The Miners averaged 35.8 points in 2004 (11th in the country) and 33.6 (26th) last season.

Jacksonville quarterbacks coach Mike Shula also could become a candidate. Shula was the coordinator for Tampa Bay in the late ’90s while Edwards was the Bucs’ secondary coach. Shula later was the head coach at Alabama when Brodie Croyle quarterbacked the Crimson Tide.

Edwards said the new coordinator would have experience whether it’s in the NFL or college. Solari was a career offensive-line coach and was new to game-planning and play-calling.

“You want a guy that’s called plays,” Edwards said. “That’s important. He has to have the ability to adjust as the game’s being played and take advantage of people’s weaknesses.

“You want a guy who understands that the system has to be player-friendly and has to be easy for the players to learn. Players come first. It’s not about plays. It’s about players.”

Edwards fired three other offensive assistants this week: John Matsko (line), Charlie Joiner (wide receivers) and James Saxon (running backs). Solari, Joiner and Saxon all coached under former head coach Dick Vermeil.

“When you hire a new offensive coordinator, you have to give him the ability to hire guys that he wants to hire,” Edwards said. “That’s not fair to him to give him too many of the position coaches.”

It’s no coincidence that the two offensive coaches Edwards retained, Jon Embree (tight ends) and Dick Curl (quarterbacks) joined the Chiefs two years ago after Edwards arrived.

“The guys I let go of are good football coaches,” Edwards said. “It’s been intact for seven years. It’s time to do something different.”

The system helped take the Chiefs to unprecedented heights under Vermeil. The Chiefs were annually among the highest scoring teams in the NFL.

The offense slowed in 2006, its first season with Edwards as the head coach and Solari as the coordinator. In 2007, it barely crawled. The Chiefs scored fewer points and ran for fewer yards per game than ever.

Edwards indicated the new system might incorporate some features of the West Coast offense, but it would have many different wrinkles. That would seem to rule out the return of former Chiefs offensive coordinator Paul Hackett.

“I don’t want to call it the West Coast because when you call it that, people say, ‘Oh, that’s a bunch of little, short passes.’?” Edwards said. “That’s not what we’re going to do. We’re not going to be throwing it in the flat all day. Call it the Chiefs offense, whatever that is.”

Edwards laid out in broad terms his vision for the new system.

I think the "new direction" only affirms that Martz won't be hired and that the Chiefs are leaning toward Bill Callahan as the new OC. Martz runs a similar offense to what was just here. Callahan is known for his West Coast scheme.

Now, the Chiefs DO say it won't be ENTIRELY west coast so that could mean that Callahan is out as well. I don't think the spread is something we could run with this O-line or Brodie as the QB. While Croyle is more mobile than Huard, he's no Vince Young. Plus, we don't have a speedy back which is essential to a spread rushing attack....we have a couple bruisers. That said, i think you can pretty much rule out Price.

In another interesting note....Cam Cameron WAS fired and will be looking for a job. hmmm

Edwards is an idiot!! We would be lucky if he went back to NY!!

hermhater
01-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Edwards is an idiot!! We would be lucky if he went back to NY!!

And our O line sucks.

:D

nigeriannightmare
01-08-2008, 05:33 PM
And our O line sucks.

:D

And so does our kick returner..Eddie 'phucking' Drummond!!!!

PawnshopMarimba
01-09-2008, 12:10 AM
But.... how does Herm expect to run the ball three times in a row (I'm sorry, I meant to say, "control the clock") with a West-Coast Offense?

I dunno about this. I think Brody might need another year or two before trying an offensive system that demands that he make quick decisions with the football.

On the upside though, I think Dwayne Bowe and Tony Gonzalez could do really well with the WCO (granted Croyle can get them the ball).

Of course, Herm said it was going to be a tweaked out West Coast, so who the hell knows what it's actually going to look like?

prough91
01-09-2008, 12:27 AM
But.... how does Herm expect to run the ball three times in a row (I'm sorry, I meant to say, "control the clock") with a West-Coast Offense?

I dunno about this. I think Brody might need another year or two before trying an offensive system that demands that he make quick decisions with the football.

On the upside though, I think Dwayne Bowe and Tony Gonzalez could do really well with the WCO (granted Croyle can get them the ball).

Of course, Herm said it was going to be a tweaked out West Coast, so who the hell knows what it's actually going to look like?

Probably going to look like a tweaked out Pinto and run as 'bout as well.

wolfpack
01-09-2008, 11:10 PM
i thought west coast offense was 5 yard passes? if it is ,isn`t that alittle far for hermmie`s liking?

hermhater
01-09-2008, 11:15 PM
i thought west coast offense was 5 yard passes? if it is ,isn`t that alittle far for hermmie`s liking?

I can't remember how he described his version, but any type of passing game seems unlikely since dropped passes means the clock stops.

I believe it was PawnShopMarimba that said he looks like he is learning to be a head coach, and I agree.

Too bad it has to happen with OUR Chiefs...