PDA

View Full Version : Draft Needs?

jagsrep
03-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Hello, I'm actually a Jaguars fan in need of some info... over on Jaguars.com we are doing a mock draft and I've chosen to represent the Chiefs (second favorite team!). Anyway, I haven't really found a board that all the chiefs fans go to, but this one seemed active enough (posts today :))

Anyway, what needs do you think the chiefs really have? From what I know... maybe a WR, defense (front seven to account for allen possibly leaving), anything else? Is there a player you feel is being targeted? Would the chiefs office make any sort of trade up or down to get a targeted player(s)? Any help is greatly appreciated, and I'll come back to update you guys with the results of the draft if you'd like.

jagsrep
03-02-2007, 01:32 PM
p.s. The draft isn't happening until tuesday to account for most of the FA period, so I'll be visiting here between now and then to get your guys' take on FA happenings. Of course we can adjust our draft strategy accordingly :)

chief31
03-02-2007, 01:42 PM
OT; DT; WR. In that order.
How many rounds will you be simulating?

chief31
03-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Hello, I'm actually a Jaguars fan in need of some info... over on Jaguars.com we are doing a mock draft and I've chosen to represent the Chiefs (second favorite team!). Anyway, I haven't really found a board that all the chiefs fans go to, but this one seemed active enough (posts today :))

Anyway, what needs do you think the chiefs really have? From what I know... maybe a WR, defense (front seven to account for allen possibly leaving), anything else? Is there a player you feel is being targeted? Would the chiefs office make any sort of trade up or down to get a targeted player(s)? Any help is greatly appreciated, and I'll come back to update you guys with the results of the draft if you'd like.

While I would like to believe that the Chiefs will be making some moves, either up, or down the draft board, I have never seen them get creative with
trades. I see them drafting an Offensive tackle in the first round. Provided there is a semi-reasonable choice available, at that point. If not, (And I hate to say this.) they will, likely take a wideout.

In the second round, they will, probably look for a decent defensive tackle. If you go any deeper than the second round, the teams lesser needs would be at...... linebacker, cornerback and kicker. (maybe.)

At least, that's my view of it. That could change dramatically, with the prospective losses, and gains, through free-agency.

Chiefster
03-02-2007, 02:34 PM

Welcome aboard jagsrep!

One word: "O-line!" I think that if we were to negotiate a trade in the draft it would be for an O-lineman.

jagsrep
03-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Some initial thoughts on these first responses:

So OT only or if a good G fell... say Grubbs was there and Levi Brown were gone, would you want the guard or a receiver?

As far as receivers, my research (granted, a small amount) has shown Dwayne Bowe as a good WR prospect that will likely be available... along with a few other receivers (Ginn Jr, Meachem, Jarrett). I feel Bowe will be a better fit in the KC offense (especially if Huard ends up playing the majority of snaps at QB) since he's a great possession receiver, and is very physical. This will help maximize LJ's effectiveness once he gets to the second level, which he does often.

Would a DL in round 1 be a reach for the Chiefs? If not that opens up another option for me.

As far as trades... it sounds as if the Chiefs and the Jaguars FO have the same philosophy: conservative. To account for this I won't pursue any trades, but will listen to any offers and consult with you all here, and of course the draft value chart :)

As far as how many rounds we're drafting I'm not sure, but I'll prepare for the first 2 right now.

Any additional thoughts?

Chiefster
03-02-2007, 05:09 PM

So OT only or if a good G fell... say Grubbs was there and Levi Brown were gone, would you want the guard or a receiver?

As far as receivers, my research (granted, a small amount) has shown Dwayne Bowe as a good WR prospect that will likely be available... along with a few other receivers (Ginn Jr, Meachem, Jarrett). I feel Bowe will be a better fit in the KC offense (especially if Huard ends up playing the majority of snaps at QB) since he's a great possession receiver, and is very physical. This will help maximize LJ's effectiveness once he gets to the second level, which he does often.

Would a DL in round 1 be a reach for the Chiefs? If not that opens up another option for me.

As far as trades... it sounds as if the Chiefs and the Jaguars FO have the same philosophy: conservative. To account for this I won't pursue any trades, but will listen to any offers and consult with you all here, and of course the draft value chart :)

As far as how many rounds we're drafting I'm not sure, but I'll prepare for the first 2 right now.

Any additional thoughts?

Possibly not; for sure you'll want to wait and see what, if any, FA acquisitions we pick up before settling on first and second round draft needs.

chief31
03-03-2007, 01:02 PM

Any additional thoughts?

In my opinion, defensive tackle would be a wiser choice than a wideout. That depends, of course, on what is available, as of the 23rd selection. While it is a popular idea, amongst mock drafters, I sincerely doubt the Chiefs go widout in the first round. As prolific as the passing game was, for several seasons, for the Chiefs, I think the team realizes that Eddie Kennison and Tony Gonzales are a solid pair of recievers.

Few have noticed that the Chiefs stand to lose three of their top four defensive tackles, to free agency. The other one is Ryan Sims.

Also, I think that they will be looking to find a bargain reciever, in the second round. If a Sidney Rice, Anthony Gonzales, or one of the other, better known, guys fall that far.

First and foremost, though, I would think they search for the best deal at offensive tackle. I would hesitate to say they draft a guard, before the third round, though. The Chiefs' roster is full of guards who have been playing the tackle positions.

Just my two cents.

Chiefster
03-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Sims can go IMO; he's been a big FAT bust.

chief31
03-05-2007, 11:31 AM
The Chiefs have addressed the issue at left tackle. That increases the chances of a first round wideout. Defensive tackle is still the biggest hole, on the roster.

Chiefster
03-05-2007, 11:35 AM
The Chiefs have addressed the issue at left tackle. That increases the chances of a first round wideout. Defensive tackle is still the biggest hole, on the roster.

Yup; if I was a betting man I, now, would lay money on a defensive pick in the first round.

RALPH
03-05-2007, 06:04 PM
O-line we have to

Chiefster
03-05-2007, 06:07 PM
O-line we have to

Not necessarily, they have made some recent O-line acquisitions.

chief31
03-07-2007, 01:00 PM
O-line we have to

I must admit, I would have, greatly, preferred drafting an offensive tackle. Also, that I don't, particularly, trust the move that we made. Having said that, I expect that the team feels that the issue at left tackle has been resolved.

Chiefster
03-07-2007, 01:56 PM
I must admit, I would have, greatly, preferred drafting an offensive tackle. Also, that I don't, particularly, trust the move that we made. Having said that, I expect that the team feels that the issue at left tackle has been resolved.

...Or at least addressed.

wolfpack
03-07-2007, 03:46 PM
i think all good DT`S and OT`S willbe gone by the time we draft in the 1st rnd. so i think we pick a wideout in the #23 spot. i think our 2nd and or 3rd willbe be a either a OT or DT. but if i was running the show my first thing wouldbe,,,,, show queen carl the bottom of my foot on the way out the door. thats my 2 cents worth.

Chiefster
03-07-2007, 08:05 PM
i think all good DT`S and OT`S willbe gone by the time we draft in the 1st rnd. so i think we pick a wideout in the #23 spot. i think our 2nd and or 3rd willbe be a either a OT or DT. but if i was running the show my first thing wouldbe,,,,, show queen carl the bottom of my foot on the way out the door. thats my 2 cents worth.

Yeah; we seem to be aggressively working to resolve deficits on both sides of the ball with FA acquisition.

Coach
03-08-2007, 12:57 AM
I hope we go defense with the first pick. Unless there is a sweet WR on the board. O-line would be good later picks. I think the great o-line poeple will be gone by the time we draft in the 1st.

kenny1937
03-08-2007, 02:58 AM
That's the way I see it, unless we trade up significantly, the good O line people willbe gone, I shudder to think what we will pick at that position, most top picks will probably be gone by then. I guess we will have to wait and see.

:bananen_smilies098: :bananen_smilies098: :bananen_smilies098: :bananen_smilies098:

Chiefster
03-08-2007, 05:05 AM
I hope we go defense with the first pick. Unless there is a sweet WR on the board. O-line would be good later picks. I think the great o-line poeple will be gone by the time we draft in the 1st.

That's the way I see it, unless we trade up significantly, the good O line people willbe gone, I shudder to think what we will pick at that position, most top picks will probably be gone by then. I guess we will have to wait and see.

:bananen_smilies098: :bananen_smilies098: :bananen_smilies098: :bananen_smilies098:

But then again Ryan Sims was an early top draft pick and we all know just how well he turned out. Anyway, ya really just never know; late in the draft or early in the draft it's all a crap shoot when ya get right down too it.

jagsrep
03-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Hey guys, our draft has been pushed back until the 9th (as far as I know). The draft is unbelievably deep at DE, if Carriker, Spencer, or Moss fall would you like to see any of them in a Chiefs uni?

One player many people are high on is LB Posloszny, talking about a fixture at LB for years... any need for an OLB? For right now I'm thinking you could get a quality receiver in RD2, many of their stocks seem to be dropping.

Chiefster
03-08-2007, 01:37 PM
Hey guys, our draft has been pushed back until the 9th (as far as I know). The draft is unbelievably deep at DE, if Carriker, Spencer, or Moss fall would you like to see any of them in a Chiefs uni?

One player many people are high on is LB Posloszny, talking about a fixture at LB for years... any need for an OLB? For right now I'm thinking you could get a quality receiver in RD2, many of their stocks seem to be dropping.

Moss comes with too big a price tag and way too much bagage. IMO

OLB possibly; there was some rumor of moving Mitchell there but only if we can find a way to retain him.

Coach
03-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I'd be surprised by a LB pick in the first round. But not shocked. Especially if Posloszny is still there.

Chiefster
03-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I'd be surprised by a LB pick in the first round. But not shocked. Especially if Posloszny is still there.

At this point most anything is possible.

kenny1937
03-09-2007, 02:39 AM

Yes, I would be also, I read somewhere that Moss is signing with some one, I don't remember who, but it wasn't the chiefs.

:bananen_smilies063: :bananen_smilies063: :bananen_smilies063: :1411:

Chiefster
03-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Yes, I would be also, I read somewhere that Moss is signing with some one, I don't remember who, but it wasn't the chiefs.

:bananen_smilies063: :bananen_smilies063: :bananen_smilies063: :1411:

Well I must admit that I'm not terribly upset about that.

wolfpack
03-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Yahoo sports has us picking.... Joe Staly an OT out of cental michigan. it also says there is plenty of wideouts for us to pick up in the 2nd and 3rd rnds. either the 2nd or 3rd we need a DT. but i wouldnt cry over this pick.

Chiefster
03-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Yahoo sports has us picking.... Joe Staly an OT out of cental michigan. it also says there is plenty of wideouts for us to pick up in the 2nd and 3rd rnds. either the 2nd or 3rd we need a DT. but i wouldnt cry over this pick.

...Know anything about him wolfpack?

jagsrep
03-16-2007, 05:29 PM
UPDATE: Hey guys! Just wanted to drop by and let you in on a few of the specifics of the draft, as well as make sure that you all know I'm still lurking about reading here :)

-Draft starts March 19th
-4 teams will pick per day
-4 rounds (perhaps 3)
-Trades permitted (require committee approval)

As far as draft specifics I have been contacted by the Browns representative about trading up to pick #3... Joe Thomas may be available. I considered it, but since it was mentioned that the Chief FO hasn't exactly been active in the trade market I dismissed it.

My latest thoughts on the draft: I agree with the former poster about a good receiver being available in the second or third round, so I'm now leaning away from that. FA signings have me focused on the defensive side of the ball in RD1, am I off base?

Thanks again for all your input! Let's make this a great *mock* draft for the Chiefs!

Chiefster
03-16-2007, 05:40 PM
UPDATE: Hey guys! Just wanted to drop by and let you in on a few of the specifics of the draft, as well as make sure that you all know I'm still lurking about reading here :)

-Draft starts March 19th
-4 teams will pick per day
-4 rounds (perhaps 3)
-Trades permitted (require committee approval)

As far as draft specifics I have been contacted by the Browns representative about trading up to pick #3... Joe Thomas may be available. I considered it, but since it was mentioned that the Chief FO hasn't exactly been active in the trade market I dismissed it.

My latest thoughts on the draft: I agree with the former poster about a good receiver being available in the second or third round, so I'm now leaning away from that. FA signings have me focused on the defensive side of the ball in RD1, am I off base?

Thanks again for all your input! Let's make this a great *mock* draft for the Chiefs!

You probably should do fine given the information that is currently at your disposal. :)

chief31
03-17-2007, 02:06 PM
If there had been an opportunity to move to the third overall pick, that would have been interesting. Because, even if Thomas were gone, Calvin Johnson would have made a terrific Chief.

I agree, that the Chiefs will be looking for defense, in the first round. If a top corner should be available, I wouldn't put it past them, to jump on him.

Chiefster
03-17-2007, 06:57 PM
If there had been an opportunity to move to the third overall pick, that would have been interesting. Because, even if Thomas were gone, Calvin Johnson would have made a terrific Chief.

I agree, that the Chiefs will be looking for defense, in the first round. If a top corner should be available, I wouldn't put it past them, to jump on him.
Yeah, at 23rd, I'm guessing, that there's a better chance at a top corner then a top DT.

chief31
03-18-2007, 01:36 PM
I have three trains of thought, on how they will use the 23rd pick, in the draft. One, Herm will "throw the offense a bone", by taking a WR. This is the Realistic side of me. The second, is that Herm stays true to Herm, by picking a defensive player, likely a "reach" for someone noone knows. This is the back-up realistic idea. Thirdly, Carl Peterson takes over, and selects the most talented player, that fills a hole on the roster, who has slipped down to him. This is the hopeful train of thought.

Chiefster
03-18-2007, 04:10 PM
I have three trains of thought, on how they will use the 23rd pick, in the draft. One, Herm will "throw the offense a bone", by taking a WR. This is the Realistic side of me. The second, is that Herm stays true to Herm, by picking a defensive player, likely a "reach" for someone noone knows. This is the back-up realistic idea. Thirdly, Carl Peterson takes over, and selects the most talented player, that fills a hole on the roster, who has slipped down to him. This is the hopeful train of thought.

I think your back-up reaqlistic idea should be your first. IMO :)