PDA

View Full Version : It Begins....

texaschief
01-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Edwards to Begin Interviewing Offensive Coordinator Candidates
1/05/08 at 10:23 pm

[Topeka Capital-Journal] Coach Herm Edwards said he hopes to interview five or six possible candiates for his vacant offensive coordinator position with the hope of having a replacement for the vanquished Mike Solari in place before the first of the Senior Bowl practices on Jan. 21.

Edwards would not identify any of his candidates, but said he wanted someone more willing to fit his scheme to the players available rather than trying to make players adjust to a new offensive scheme.

Of primary importance, he said, was developing an offensive system that takes advantage of Brodie Croyle's mobility and potential to throw downfield and to the sidelines.

I'm sorry, did i miss something? Since when is "no knees" Croyle mobile? More mobile than Huard, sure. But, Croyle mobile? relative to who else?

hermhater
01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
What are the odds he hires someone that has been affiliated with the Jets?

:lol:

chiefsinfinity
01-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I agree!! When did Croyle ever throw down the field?? His specialty seems to be either throwing interceptions down the field because he wants to bury our opponents or short slants!

Thanks for the info. You made me laugh!

Canada
01-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Did he say offensive scheme or offensive scam??

Lazeye
01-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I think herm should go to the college ranks for a new OC, and I like Croyle just give him time...oh yeah and protection.

hermhater
01-07-2008, 05:52 PM
I think herm should go to the college ranks for a new OC, and I like Croyle just give him time...oh yeah and protection.

Who do you have in mind from the college ranks?

Lazeye
01-07-2008, 05:58 PM
That I am not qualified for and have no clue but someone new and fresh that has not been to the nfl ranks yet. Someone must br ready out of all those schools.

texaschief
01-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Who do you have in mind from the college ranks?

How bout June Jones then draft Colt Brennan? :lol:

I'M ABSOLUTELY JOKING....I'M FULL AWARE OF THE JONES SITUATION AND THE FACT THAT BRENNAN IS A PRODUCT OF THE SYSTEM.

Coach
01-07-2008, 08:35 PM
How bout June Jones then draft Colt Brennan? :lol:

I'M ABSOLUTELY JOKING....I'M FULL AWARE OF THE JONES SITUATION AND THE FACT THAT BRENNAN IS A PRODUCT OF THE SYSTEM.

June Jones would be interesting. If he is looking for schemes that involve out-of-pocket passing, it seems likely that he would be looking at the college ranks.

Didn't Callahan run the option at Nebraska? I really don't think the Chiefs would bring in Callahan though.

Northcountry68
01-07-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't care who the oc or qb is but without a line any system will fail but with a superb line any system can suceed.

Coach
01-07-2008, 09:51 PM
I don't care who the oc or qb is but without a line any system will fail but with a superb line any system can suceed.

Agreed. But a poor coord can make an average line look even worse.

for ever red
01-07-2008, 10:34 PM
:yahoo: well anything new at this point is good news cause what they were doing didnt work.:11:

texaschief
01-07-2008, 10:42 PM

is it possible to have a thread without this being said? I think it's well known that the O-line needs to be rebuilt. But, there is ANOTHER problem out there.....WE DON'T HAVE AN OC.

These discussions are about which guy would best suit the wants of the Head Coach, the current talent and who could best compliment the defense and keep them off the field.

WE GET IT....THE O-LINE SUCKS....BUT SO DID SOLARI AS AN OC.

hermhater
01-07-2008, 10:46 PM
is it possible to have a thread without this being said? I think it's well known that the O-line needs to be rebuilt. But, there is ANOTHER problem out there.....WE DON'T HAVE AN OC.

These discussions are about which guy would best suit the wants of the Head Coach, the current talent and who could best compliment the defense and keep them off the field.

In that case Chiefster for OC!

:lol:

chiefsinfinity
01-08-2008, 03:20 PM
This is a dream scenario but man, Les Miles would be an amazing oc!! Just look at the talent he's brought to LSU and obviously, he know what he's doing!!!

But I know, this will never come to pass.

rbedgood
01-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Infinity...you corrected yourself already, but I have to ask. Why would Les Miles leave LSU right now for anything but full control of a team?!

chiefsinfinity
01-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Infinity...you corrected yourself already, but I have to ask. Why would Les Miles leave LSU right now for anything but full control of a team?!

I know. I know. Oh well, it doesn't hurt to dream!!
:)

hermhater
01-08-2008, 03:30 PM

This might be his big chance to break into the NFL.

I agree he wouldn't give up full control of a team, but he might be able to turn a team with a losing record around as a Head Coach.

rbedgood
01-08-2008, 05:01 PM
This might be his big chance to break into the NFL.

I agree he wouldn't give up full control of a team, but he might be able to turn a team with a losing record around as a Head Coach.

He'd be a fool to take the job with Carl in Charge. If he had a shot at the Miami job with Parcells being the personnel man, that might be different.

hermhater
01-08-2008, 05:49 PM
He'd be a fool to take the job with Carl in Charge. If he had a shot at the Miami job with Parcells being the personnel man, that might be different.

Agreed there guy!

texaschief
01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Adam Schefter of NFL Network is reporting that the San Francisco 49ers have hired Mike Martz as their new offensive coordinator.

Martz replaces Jim Hostler, who had one disastrous year as the 49ers’ offensive coordinator. Martz spent the last two years as the offensive coordinator in Detroit, and seven years before that in St. Louis, first as offensive coordinator and then as head coach.

Martz will now be tasked with the difficult job of making Alex Smith look like the franchise quarterback the 49ers thought he was when they chose him with the first pick in the 2005 NFL draft. This season Smith was limited by injury to just seven games, and he had a completion percentage of 48.7 percent, with two touchdowns and four interceptions.

This development makes agent Bob LaMont a powerful figure in San Francisco: LaMont represents Martz, head coach Mike Nolan and assistant head coach-defense Mike Singletary.

Didn't think he was coming anyway. But i was kinda hoping. oh well.

texaschief
01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
COWHER NEXT IN WASHINGTON?

In the hours since the resignation of Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, one name has been repeated over and over again as Gibbs’ most likely successor: Bill Cowher.

Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post lays out the case for Cowher and says that a source who knows Redskins Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato well said Cerrato believes the Redskins’ next coach will be Cowher. Moreover, if Cowher wants total control of football operations, that would be doable, and Cerrato could move to a consulting role to make room for a coach with more authority.

La Canfora also notes that even if Redskins owner Daniel Snyder wants Cowher, he would need to interview a minority candidate first. La Canfora writes that Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache would not want to “be a part of any dog and pony show” and interview for the job if the feeling around Redskins Park is that Cowher will get the job.

At today’s Redskins news conference, Snyder said he has not talked to Cowher. He also said he “tried very, very hard” to convince Gibbs to stay.

texaschief
01-08-2008, 06:14 PM
Both posts from profootballtalk.com

rbedgood
01-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Ugh...as a 49er fan I have mixed emotions on this one. If healthy the 49ers O-line is good, but our best weapon in the passing game is TE Vernon Davis. Martz historically isn't aware that Tight Ends exist on the field. So that concerns me. However if he can make Alex Smith look good, then more power to him.

rbedgood
01-08-2008, 06:18 PM
COWHER NEXT IN WASHINGTON?

In the hours since the resignation of Redskins coach Joe Gibbs, one name has been repeated over and over again as Gibbs’ most likely successor: Bill Cowher.

Jason La Canfora of the Washington Post lays out the case for Cowher and says that a source who knows Redskins Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato well said Cerrato believes the Redskins’ next coach will be Cowher. Moreover, if Cowher wants total control of football operations, that would be doable, and Cerrato could move to a consulting role to make room for a coach with more authority.

La Canfora also notes that even if Redskins owner Daniel Snyder wants Cowher, he would need to interview a minority candidate first. La Canfora writes that Redskins defensive coordinator Greg Blache would not want to “be a part of any dog and pony show” and interview for the job if the feeling around Redskins Park is that Cowher will get the job.

At today’s Redskins news conference, Snyder said he has not talked to Cowher. He also said he “tried very, very hard” to convince Gibbs to stay.

Best move Snyder has ever made...not that he really tried to get Gibbs to stay, but after watching the debacle in Tampa Bay where they couldn't get a minority to interview for the job that everyone knew was Gruden's. Snyder is keeping his cards close to his chest.

nigeriannightmare
01-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Best move Snyder has ever made...not that he really tried to get Gibbs to stay, but after watching the debacle in Tampa Bay where they couldn't get a minority to interview for the job that everyone knew was Gruden's. Snyder is keeping his cards close to his chest.

I thought there was no way Cowher was getting back into the nfl until his kid graduates in 2009...there probably be better opportunities than working for Dan Snyder, no offense to those that like him, he rubs me the wrong way...

rbedgood
01-08-2008, 06:34 PM
I think Cowher is one guy who could do well in Washington...he commands enough respect that the sniveling meddling Snyder wouldn't over-ride him as he did Spurrier, Turner and others.

The situation would actually be good for him, the O-line is better than average, Portis is nearing the end of his career, but has a good season or two left, and expectations are low for next year, which would allow him to rebuild the defense to his liking.

nigeriannightmare
01-08-2008, 06:43 PM
I just wanna see him on the sidelines as a Chief, wishful thinking I know. What Snyder wants he usually gets, with the exception buying titles.

Coach
01-08-2008, 10:04 PM
I thought there was no way Cowher was getting back into the nfl until his kid graduates in 2009...there probably be better opportunities than working for Dan Snyder, no offense to those that like him, he rubs me the wrong way...

I'd be mighty surprised if Cowher had any interest in the Washington program. Why would he? Besides the fact that he would be moving to the National Runner-up Conference.

chief31
01-09-2008, 06:18 AM

I still don't understand how Solari gets all of the blame for not being able to create an offense without the benefit of offensive linemen, and yet the head coach is in no way to blame for it.

Guru
01-09-2008, 06:35 AM
June Jones would be interesting. If he is looking for schemes that involve out-of-pocket passing, it seems likely that he would be looking at the college ranks.

Didn't Callahan run the option at Nebraska? I really don't think the Chiefs would bring in Callahan though.

Actually, just the opposite. Callahan killed the option at Nebraska.

Guru
01-09-2008, 06:37 AM
I agree!! When did Croyle ever throw down the field?? His specialty seems to be either throwing interceptions down the field because he wants to bury our opponents or short slants!

Thanks for the info. You made me laugh!

Throwing him under the bus after 6.5 starts? WHAT? QBs take at least 2-3 years to develop at the pro ranks. Bring in a OC that has half a brain and build the line up and then lets evaluate Croyle.

Guru
01-09-2008, 06:39 AM
I still don't understand how Solari gets all of the blame for not being able to create an offense without the benefit of offensive linemen, and yet the head coach is in no way to blame for it.

All of them are responsible. All the way up to Carl and Clark.

Herm is the head coach that was hand picked by Carl with Clarks approval. Solari never had a chance.

wolfpack
01-09-2008, 11:08 PM
i really dont see what is so hard tobe a OC in hermmie offense. just run,run,pass(no more than 2 yards) PUNT. dont try to score TD`S just get close enough to kick a field goal.