PDA

View Full Version : How well will Herm have to do next season to keep his job?

jerhart
01-12-2008, 03:31 PM
The Title pretty much sums it up. I know Carl throws a bone into this formula but, how good of a record does Herm have to lead us to next year to keep his job?
-Josh

Canada
01-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Playoffs at least

texaschief
01-12-2008, 06:13 PM
depends on how well Carl and Herm have sold their "plan" to Mr. Hunt.

Personally, i could tolerate two more losing seasons as long as the franchise shows real direction and progress.

I'm not sure what you can expect from a new offensive system or what the learning curve will be for the young players.

for ever red
01-12-2008, 06:41 PM
8-8 but i agree show that we are going in the right direction.

Lazeye
01-12-2008, 07:56 PM
500 500 500 500 500 but chit I want one better than 500!

wolfpack
01-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I think he and carl have 2 years left on their contrats. i bet unless they only win 3 games or less they both will have jobs. remember carl`s going on his 19th or 20th year of his 5 year plan and hermmie`s just starting his "plan". besides Clark has already proven he dosent have the balls to change things.

luv
01-13-2008, 09:55 AM
He's got a five year contract. We won't give up $$$, and I don't know who (besides us) would give up draft picks for him.

chief31
01-13-2008, 10:32 AM
depends on how well Carl and Herm have sold their "plan" to Mr. Hunt.

Personally, i could tolerate two more losing seasons as long as the franchise shows real direction and progress.

I'm not sure what you can expect from a new offensive system or what the learning curve will be for the young players.

I would have to assume that three consecutive losing seasons would end Herms career as a head coach. His record with the Jets is unimpressive, and four years with the Chiefs, as a loser would label him a loser to the entire league.

I know you think it takes several years to build a winner, but I don't. I think that if you are a loser in the third year of your tenure, it is too late.

If the Chiefs should happen to have a real strong second half of next season, then maybe an overall losing record could be overlooked.

Three drafts and three free-agency periods should be enough to show what kind of team you are building. If the team still has a poor season, then that is what you are building.

Fortunately, if the Chiefs properly address their O-line issues, then, by the end of the year, that unit should have started to "gel", and we could see signs of life out of our offense, just in time to save Herms job.

texaschief
01-13-2008, 03:59 PM
I would have to assume that three consecutive losing seasons would end Herms career as a head coach. His record with the Jets is unimpressive, and four years with the Chiefs, as a loser would label him a loser to the entire league.

I know you think it takes several years to build a winner, but I don't. I think that if you are a loser in the third year of your tenure, it is too late.

If the Chiefs should happen to have a real strong second half of next season, then maybe an overall losing record could be overlooked.

Three drafts and three free-agency periods should be enough to show what kind of team you are building. If the team still has a poor season, then that is what you are building.

Fortunately, if the Chiefs properly address their O-line issues, then, by the end of the year, that unit should have started to "gel", and we could see signs of life out of our offense, just in time to save Herms job.

I would agree with this as a general statement. But when i say a couple more losing seasons, i'm saying that as a worst case scenario. There are circumstances that would allow Herm to keep his job after 2 more losing seasons.

Such as, next season losing because of an adjustment period for the offensive line/new system and poor QB play. Then we draft a new QB next season and we have a losing record again, but we lose because of QB rookie mistakes. If during both those seasons we have play makers, a good to great defense and a solid running game, what are you going to do? Would you still want to fire the head coach due to player mistakes?

I just think that if the team shows a clear and correct direction, two losing seasons wouldn't necessarly be the death of Herm in KC.

But you're right in the fact that if we have two more seasons like the one we just had, he'd be done. This year's team just gave up and are much better than they showed during their 9-game losing streak.

Three7s
01-13-2008, 08:19 PM
In a normal case, I'd say around 500, but honestly, as long as we show some signs that we're getting better towards the end of the year, that's good enough for me.