PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Knight

IlovetheChiefs
01-13-2008, 12:16 AM
He's hilarious with his answers to stupid questions from reporters in press conferences. Especially funny is the really dumb question at 1:33!

YouTube - Bob Knight goes off

YZILLA
01-13-2008, 12:17 AM
hes always good for a joke

hermhater
01-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Poor baby lost to the Tigers!

GO MIZZOU!

tammietailgator
01-13-2008, 12:26 AM
:lol:

IlovetheChiefs
01-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah I thought you'd like the fact they lost to Missouri :)

I still can't get over that one question, "Is it even harder to win when you're shorthanded?" Wow!

Coach
01-13-2008, 08:54 PM
Bob Knight is one of my favorite coaches of all time.

IlovetheChiefs
01-13-2008, 08:56 PM

But you wouldn't want to play for him would you? Heh!

hermhater
01-13-2008, 09:00 PM

He's fun to listen to, but I don't like how he treats his players.

Of course I'm not the most patient of persons either!

:D

hermhater
01-13-2008, 09:01 PM

Get out of my head!

IlovetheChiefs
01-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Get out of my head!

I know! As soon as I read your post I was thinking there I go taking your thoughts just before you post them!

If you were a girl I'd say "hey, we are in sync!" I've done that with any girl I've dated. Helps make them think it must be meant to be for us, heh heh!

hermhater
01-13-2008, 09:28 PM
I know! As soon as I read your post I was thinking there I go taking your thoughts just before you post them!

If you were a girl I'd say "hey, we are in sync!" I've done that with any girl I've dated. Helps make them think it must be meant to be for us, heh heh!

I shall henceforth call you Slickster!

:bananen_smilies046:

IlovetheChiefs
01-13-2008, 09:55 PM
I shall henceforth call you Slickster!

:bananen_smilies046:

Not so slick if they eventually break up with me anyway!

And my newest female friend is already wavering a bit. Probably haven't been using enough Aqua Velva!

Heh, call me that line from "Fargo": "You're a smooth smooth"

hermhater
01-13-2008, 10:03 PM
Not so slick if they eventually break up with me anyway!

And my newest female friend is already wavering a bit. Probably haven't been using enough Aqua Velva!

Heh, call me that line from "Fargo": "You're a smooth smooth"

Probably paying too much attention to her, and treating her too nice!

Chicks dig a$$holes!

IlovetheChiefs
01-13-2008, 10:12 PM
Probably paying too much attention to her, and treating her too nice!

Chicks dig a$!

Amazing HH, cuz in all seriousness that is it! I've been showering her with attention and gifts and being as nice as I can. But for some reason people say that can backfire cuz she can feel crowded or overwhelmed. Yet I often hear of women complaining their man doesn't pay enough attention to them or spend enough time with them or say "I love you" enough. Sigh, guess I have to discover what the proper balance is!

hermhater
01-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Amazing HH, cuz in all seriousness that is it! I've been showering her with attention and gifts and being as nice as I can. But for some reason people say that can backfire cuz she can feel crowded or overwhelmed. Yet I often hear of women complaining their man doesn't pay enough attention to them or spend enough time with them or say "I love you" enough. Sigh, guess I have to discover what the proper balance is!

There is no balance.

Treat them like crap and they will love you forever.

Just make sure you don't let ANYONE ELSE treat her like crap.

That is the secret.

:11:

tammietailgator
01-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Sad, but fairly true. I have know idea why - except we like a challenge, but all my husband does is sleep and eat... I do love him dearly - but it also gives me something to complain about. :) Actually, I didn't even get anything for Christmas :(

hermhater
01-13-2008, 11:09 PM
Sad, but fairly true. I have know idea why - except we like a challenge, but all my husband does is sleep and eat... I do love him dearly - but it also gives me something to complain about. :) Actually, I didn't even get anything for Christmas :(

My ex GF when I was in Germany explained it rather nicely I thought.

She told me that the reason she liked me was because I was a challenge.

She said if I did everything she said, and let her get away with things it was boring.

It was a real eye opener.

I don't actually condone abuse (physical, or mental) but Groucho Marx put it best:

"I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member."

tammietailgator
01-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Dont get me wrong - My husband can be nice.... keep in mind guys... after marriage you can get soooooo much love from your wife if you simply do the dishes, laundry, clean the bathroom. Of course he is still paying for Christmas

IlovetheChiefs
01-14-2008, 04:37 AM
There is no balance.

Treat them like crap and they will love you forever.

Just make sure you don't let ANYONE ELSE treat her like crap.

That is the secret.

:11:

Pretty appropriate advice coming in a thread called "Bobby Knight" heh! The way he treats everyone I'm sure he is definitely a challenge for his wife - AND I'm sure he'd never let ANYONE ELSE treat his wife like crap!

Sad, but fairly true. I have know idea why - except we like a challenge, but all my husband does is sleep and eat... I do love him dearly - but it also gives me something to complain about. :) Actually, I didn't even get anything for
Christmas :(

There's an insight too. If my woman complains I shouldn't necessarily worry take that as a bad sign, eh. It's like I always try to make sure her feedback is positive. But my ex fiance did actually say once, "We females like to go fishing or camping with our guys cuz then we can complain." :lol:

Dont get me wrong - My husband can be nice.... keep in mind guys... after marriage you can get soooooo much love from your wife if you simply do the dishes, laundry, clean the bathroom. Of course he is still paying for Christmas

But how about before marriage? Especially in the very early stages of dating? Does it help to do lots of things for her and give her cards, flowers, and things? And to make it clear to her you're crazy about her?
How else is she gonna know you really love her and are interested in her? (OHHH by treating her like crap HEH!).
But getting back to the challenge thing. Maybe that's where the "absence makes the heart grow fonder" comes in too. One time for instance, I was sweet on a female co-worker and kept visiting her as much as I could, including stopping by to see her to say goodbye before I went home. But then she started to get more distant and unenthusiastic. So I didn't stop to say bye for a few days. Then she said, "How come you don't come see me before you go home anymore?" I said, "Oh sorry, I didn't know if you wanted me too." She said, "Of course I want you too!" ;)

2 other important rules I've been told:

(1) Make them laugh. Women like to laugh.

(They especially seem delighted when you make them laugh by complimenting them in a humorous way. Then you are making them laugh and simulateously communicating to them that they are attractive).

(2) If they ever ask, "I look fat, don't I?" you NEVER NEVER say , "Yes"!

hermhater
01-14-2008, 12:38 PM
I remember a line from a movie when I was younger.

I think it might have been "Blind Date" or something.

An older brother gave some advice to his younger brother, Ethan Hawke.

He said "Treat 'em good, treat 'em bad, it doesn't make a difference... just pay attention to them."

Kind of appropriate, I would say.

IlovetheChiefs
01-14-2008, 06:46 PM
I remember a line from a movie when I was younger.

I think it might have been "Blind Date" or something.

An older brother gave some advice to his younger brother, Ethan Hawke.

He said "Treat 'em good, treat 'em bad, it doesn't make a difference... just pay attention to them."

Kind of appropriate, I would say.

Right, it seems to me that is something very important to them. But can it also be a pitfall to pay too much attention to them? Seems like the love game is so hard because there's so many ways a guy can go wrong.

Let's go Chiefs!

hermhater
01-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Right, it seems to me that is something very important to them. But can it also be a pitfall to pay too much attention to them? Seems like the love game is so hard because there's so many ways a guy can go wrong.

Let's go Chiefs!

You have to treat them bad sometimes, and good sometimes.

But mostly bad!

Chiefster
01-14-2008, 06:57 PM
I can't stand Bobby Knight.

That is all.

IlovetheChiefs
01-14-2008, 07:01 PM
That is all.

Do you like Herm compared to him? :)

Chiefster
01-14-2008, 07:26 PM
Do you like Herm compared to him? :)

No, but then again I don't like him compared to Herm either. :D

tammietailgator
01-14-2008, 07:56 PM
2 other important rules I've been told:

(1) Make them laugh. Women like to laugh.

(They especially seem delighted when you make them laugh by complimenting them in a humorous way. Then you are making them laugh and simulateously communicating to them that they are attractive).

(2) If they ever ask, "I look fat, don't I?" you NEVER NEVER say , "Yes"![/quote]

Friday night I went out with the girls from work - A guy actually told a co worker that she was "Hotter than dough nut grease!" Now that was funny! On the other hand, a old school mate grabbed my boob, so having just enough drinks to make me do something about it, I grabbed him between the legs! He said he did not appreciate that! I said, I did not appreciate being grabbed either.

IlovetheChiefs
01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Friday night I went out with the girls from work - A guy actually told a co worker that she was "Hotter than dough nut grease!" Now that was funny! On the other hand, a old school mate grabbed my boob, so having just enough drinks to make me do something about it, I grabbed him between the legs! He said he did not appreciate that! I said, I did not appreciate being grabbed either.

The other day my love interest bumped herself and said, "Ow that was right in my left boob". I said, "Want me to kiss it and make it better?" She loved that!

hermhater
01-14-2008, 08:29 PM
The other day my love interest bumped herself and said, "Ow that was right in my left boob". I said, "Want me to kiss it and make it better?" She loved that!

That was a good one!

IlovetheChiefs
01-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Thank you! It's neat when lines like that come to you right at the moment. :)

One that's a little more obvious and not as clever was when we were going to work on something together and she said, "Okay, I'll be back in a few minutes and then we can hook up." I said, "Really?! We can hook up?! Thank you!"

Not as witty as the other line but still made her laugh and went over well, heh!

hermhater
01-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Thank you! It's neat when lines like that come to you right at the moment. :)

One that's a little more obvious and not as clever was when we were going to work on something together and she said, "Okay, I'll be back in a few minutes and then we can hook up." I said, "Really?! We can hook up?! Thank you!"

Not as witty as the other line but still made her laugh and went over well, heh!

The only problem I see with these pithy quotes is she may become too used to you being a friendly, good natured guy.

Remember chicks dig a$$holes, and you may be ingratiating yourself in the wrong manner. She also has to know that you have a dangerous side, or you will become nothing more than a good buddy that she would never imagine sleeping with because that would ruin what you guys already have.

Been there, done that. It's a one way street down heartbreak street!

Be careful.

Coach
01-14-2008, 11:31 PM

Are you kidding. I would have given darn near anything to play for IU and Bobby. I like discipline. And I would have no problem having my kids play for him.

That is all.

Most people that aren't IU fans feel the same way.

hermhater
01-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Are you kidding. I would have given darn near anything to play for IU and Bobby. I like discipline. And I would have no problem having my kids play for him.

Most people that aren't IU fans feel the same way.

Captain Obvious!

IlovetheChiefs
01-15-2008, 05:53 PM
The only problem I see with these pithy quotes is she may become too used to you being a friendly, good natured guy.

Remember chicks dig a$, and you may be ingratiating yourself in the wrong manner. She also has to know that you have a dangerous side, or you will become nothing more than a good buddy that she would never imagine sleeping with because that would ruin what you guys already have.

Been there, done that. It's a one way street down heartbreak street!

Be careful.

But in addition to being nice and friendly I make it abundantly clear how I want things to go on to the next level. It was a good day today. Maybe it's soon now when it will. :) Or.... maybe heartbreak street is ahead again too. She's worth pursuing till I find out!

But what about the concept of "playing hard to get"? What are your thoughts about that, HH? I wonder if coming across always as, "Hey I'm nuts for you baby, just say the words anytime and I'm your guy" might better be spliced with a little hard to get here and there. There seems to be something psychological about playing hard to get that makes the other person seem suddenly more attractive. Sort of along the lines of being a "challenge" and "absence makes the heart grow fonder", probably eh?

But yet, playing hard to get is hard for me to do. After all, I'm trying to keep showing I'm interested, not uninterested!

Thanks for your insights!

Wow you are brave. :)

I agree discipline is a good thing from a coach. But I'd prefer along the lines of Bill Cowher and Tom Coughlin. People like Knight, Mike Ditka, and Billy Martin are too irate and engage in tirades. They'd be better as Marines drill sergeants!

hermhater
01-15-2008, 06:12 PM
But in addition to being nice and friendly I make it abundantly clear how I want things to go on to the next level. It was a good day today. Maybe it's soon now when it will. :) Or.... maybe heartbreak street is ahead again too. She's worth pursuing till I find out!

But what about the concept of "playing hard to get"? What are your thoughts about that, HH? I wonder if coming across always as, "Hey I'm nuts for you baby, just say the words anytime and I'm your guy" might better be spliced with a little hard to get here and there. There seems to be something psychological about playing hard to get that makes the other person seem suddenly more attractive. Sort of along the lines of being a "challenge" and "absence makes the heart grow fonder", probably eh?

But yet, playing hard to get is hard for me to do. After all, I'm trying to keep showing I'm interested, not uninterested!

Thanks for your insights!

It goes like this.

The hotter the chick the less interested you have to seem.

It is the challenge that keeps them interested.

IlovetheChiefs
01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
It goes like this.

The hotter the chick the less interested you have to seem.

It is the challenge that keeps them interested.

Well since she's the best looking girl in the world I guess I needn't make it clear I like her, heh!

Those are more good insights, thanks.

hermhater
01-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Well since she's the best looking girl in the world I guess I needn't make it clear I like her, heh!

Those are more good insights, thanks.

It's a fine line man, be careful.

Canada
01-15-2008, 08:30 PM

Drop and gimme 20 before I choke you!! :lol:

Coach
01-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Wow you are brave. :)

I agree discipline is a good thing from a coach. But I'd prefer along the lines of Bill Cowher and Tom Coughlin. People like Knight, Mike Ditka, and Billy Martin are too irate and engage in tirades. They'd be better as Marines drill sergeants!

I've followed Bobby Knight pretty much all of my life. He is very similar to Cowher and Coughlin. He has made plenty of mistakes, but nearly every player that has played for him over the last 30 years would attest to the fact that he is a great coach and an even better person. He has a temper and unfortunately that is the only side of him the media likes to put on SportsCenter.

I'm sure most everyone that reads this thread is not an IU fan, so you won't like him. I also liked him because he was my coach and he kicked your coach's butt on a regular basis with less talented players.

Chiefster
01-16-2008, 02:17 AM

I can't stand the guy; he's a good coach though.

hermhater
01-16-2008, 02:38 AM
I can't stand the guy; he's a good coach though.

This again?

Chiefster
01-16-2008, 01:14 PM
This again?

No problem!

IlovetheChiefs
02-04-2008, 08:19 PM
And now I come across this (http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1146&CID=770106) about Bobby Knight retiring effective immediately. So long Bobby. It's been interesting!

Chiefster
02-04-2008, 08:21 PM
And now I come across this (http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1146&CID=770106) about Bobby Knight retiring effective immediately. So long Bobby. It's been interesting!

It happens.

IlovetheChiefs
02-04-2008, 08:28 PM
It happens.

Surprsied me though since it was all of a sudden and in the middle of the season. Not like Texas Tech is doing bad. 3-3 in the division, 11-8 overall. Undoubtedly they are not good enough to go the distance, as a Kansas or Texas is. But they're still competitive.

Well, they said his son is taking over. Guess they want to let him benefit from head coaching experience now instead of waiting till next season to begin at the helm.

hermhater
02-04-2008, 10:25 PM
I hope his health is OK.

I don't like the way the guy coaches, but I don't want to see anyone ill.

AkChief49
02-04-2008, 11:30 PM
BK was certainly "Old School" Happy trails Bob!

Coach
02-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Bobby is just handing over the reigns(sp?) to his son. It has been in the works for years. I'm glad he is handing Pat a decent team so he has a chance to succeed. I think Pat Knight will do well. He's much more laid back than his dad but has benefited from his knowledge. Kind of like how Mike Krzyzewski benefited from being an assistant for Bob Knight. The trick for Pat Knight will be recruiting at TT. I'm sure he'll do fine. I hope Bob Knight enjoys retirement because he has definitely earned it. Olympic Gold Medals, PanAm Gold Medals, countless Big 10 titles, 3 NCAA titles, and the most wins in NCAA Men's BBall history. Not a bad resume.

hermhater
02-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Bobby is just handing over the reigns(sp?) to his son. It has been in the works for years. I'm glad he is handing Pat a decent team so he has a chance to succeed. I think Pat Knight will do well. He's much more laid back than his dad but has benefited from his knowledge. Kind of like how Mike Krzyzewski benefited from being an assistant for Bob Knight. The trick for Pat Knight will be recruiting at TT. I'm sure he'll do fine. I hope Bob Knight enjoys retirement because he has definitely earned it. Olympic Gold Medals, PanAm Gold Medals, countless Big 10 titles, 3 NCAA titles, and the most wins in NCAA Men's BBall history. Not a bad resume.

Not bad at all. He was a very successful coach and a pretty piss-poor person.

I hope his resume helps him get into the Pearly Gates.

Chiefster
02-05-2008, 12:34 AM

Yeah, from what I understand Bob is tired but in good health.

Coach
02-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Not bad at all. He was a very successful coach and a pretty piss-poor person.

I hope his resume helps him get into the Pearly Gates.

Funny enough, you never hear former players say anything but great things about Bob Knight. The people who have a hatred for him are the media. And since I'm guessing you've never met him or any of his former players, you are basing your opinions off of what the media says.

hermhater
02-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Funny enough, you never hear former players say anything but great things about Bob Knight. The people who have a hatred for him are the media. And since I'm guessing you've never met him or any of his former players, you are basing your opinions off of what the media says.

You're right I have never met Bobby Knight, but I'm sure he would be an engaging character.

I have a problem with the things that have been caught on tape though, and I'm sure there were many more that weren't.

Bobby is obviously a brilliant coach because he's only one of 2(?) coaches to win more than 800 games or something crazy like that.

I'm sure those stats are all wrong, but it's just something I thought I knew off of the top of my head.

chief31
02-11-2008, 04:13 AM
I like Bobby Knight. I think that he is just an old-school guy who has been attacked by the modern-day "Politically correct" media.

Fourty years ago, nothing that he has done gets him any kind of a bad reputation.

hermhater
02-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Bobby Knight is on Jay Leno right now!

He is making fun of the refs, and wearing a refs jersey!