PDA

View Full Version : Gailey hired.

Guru
01-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Chiefs hire Gailey as offensive coordinator
By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Chan Gailey was hired today as the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator.

Gailey, 56, is a veteran coordinator, having served in that capacity in the NFL with Denver, Pittsburgh and Miami. He also has been head coach for the Cowboys and Birmingham in the World League and in college for Troy State, Samford and Georgia Tech. He was fired this past fall after six seasons at Georgia Tech.

Chiefs coach Herm Edwards was immediately unavailable for comment.

Other candidates for the position included UTEP offensive coordinator Eric Price, former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel and Jacksonville quarterbacks coach Mike Shula.

Gailey will replace Mike Solari, who was fired after the Chiefs had one of their worst offensive seasons in team history. __________________

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/447546.html

Guru
01-16-2008, 04:36 PM
He was such a good puppet for Jones that Herm couldn't pass him up.

IlovetheChiefs
01-16-2008, 04:40 PM
The very guy I said yesterday I don't want to be our new oc.

Two thumbs WAY down.

hermhater
01-16-2008, 04:42 PM
All I know is that if Herm hired him, he can't be the right man for the job.

I hope I eat so much crow next season, I crap feathers for a week!

This is ridiculous.

jerhart
01-16-2008, 04:50 PM
haha wow....and I just posted THIS morning I hope we dont get him :inwc:

for ever red
01-16-2008, 06:48 PM
:drunkhb: Well :11: at least we know who it is now

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
01-16-2008, 06:56 PM
He sounded like the best OC to me and fassel was 2nd. We cant doubt him til we see him in action.

Guru
01-16-2008, 06:57 PM
He sounded like the best OC to me and fassel was 2nd. We cant doubt him til we see him in action.

Yeah, but Herm hired him. I knew he would. That is enough for me to doubt him now.

prough91
01-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah, but Herm hired him. I knew he would. That is enough for me to doubt him now.

Are you serious? I mean, we are getting an OC that was fired from the college ranks. It doesn't get much better than that.

:yahoo:

tammietailgator
01-16-2008, 07:43 PM
Does anyone know why he got fired from georgia tech?

Lazeye
01-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Someone said cause he was unable to beat in state rival GU

jerhart
01-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Someone said cause he was unable to beat in state rival GU

Well GU isn't a push-over... :director:

texaschief
01-16-2008, 08:22 PM
i used to live in Atlanta. Both schools are in north GA. It truly is difficult for GT to keep up with UGA as far as recruiting goes. You're talking about an SEC team vs. an ACC team. When you're a 4 or 5 star football recruit, which team would you want to play for? honestly. Plus, Chan got a really bad wrap with the Cowboys as far as him being called a puppet and so on. When a guy with that kind of rep shows up in your living room representing GT, would you really want to go?

If he can do for the Chiefs what he did for the Steelers in the late 90's, we're in great shape. IMO

Lazeye
01-16-2008, 08:22 PM
no they are not. After looking at Gailey and what he has done, I like him and think he may fit what we want from him. went to a bowl game each year he coached, been in 4 superbowls. I think he has what we we need with a young team "a leader".

hermhater
01-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Are you serious? I mean, we are getting an OC that was fired from the college ranks. It doesn't get much better than that.

:yahoo:

Word!

:lol:

As Guru said in another thread he is gonna have Herm's arm up his ***, and will be calling Herm's plays like a good little puppet!

Canada
01-16-2008, 09:11 PM
I am not going to complain about him until he gives me reason to.

hermhater
01-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Hey, if he doesn't call plays that Herm wants, I will worship him!

I just don't see it happening.

Canada
01-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Hey, if he doesn't call plays that Herm wants, I will worship him!

I just don't see it happening.

for what reason??

hermhater
01-16-2008, 09:17 PM
for what reason??

Because I don't see anyone doing well under Herm.

I will give you the fact that we haven't seen his play calling for the Chiefs yet, but I don't see anything changing with the play calling until Herm is gone.

If he changes the play calling up and is not a puppet, I will gladly eat crow.

I would LOVE to eat crow!

Canada
01-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Because I don't see anyone doing well under Herm.

I will give you the fact that we haven't seen his play calling for the Chiefs yet, but I don't see anything changing with the play calling until Herm is gone.

If he changes the play calling up and is not a puppet, I will gladly eat crow.

I would LOVE to eat crow!

I just see a lot of people getting on him for no reason other than he isn't the guy they would have picked. Cowher seems to have liked him and I value his opinion more than others (no one in particular) I believe I read somewhere that he has been to 4 SuperBowls. I don't know what people are expecting, but that sounds alright to me. I don't see why no one wants to give him a chance.

hermhater
01-16-2008, 09:23 PM
I just see a lot of people getting on him for no reason other than he isn't the guy they would have picked. Cowher seems to have liked him and I value his opinion more than others (no one in particular) I believe I read somewhere that he has been to 4 SuperBowls. I don't know what people are expecting, but that sounds alright to me. I don't see why no one wants to give him a chance.

I'll give him a shot, but I don't think it will matter with Herm's game plan.

I will admit I would be dogging on just about anybody Herm hired, so you're right it's not fair, but he has the unfortunate position of joining a team coached by Herm Edwards.

Anybody who hasn't won a SB is going to be too intimidated to stand up to Herm is my guess.

Canada
01-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I'll give him a shot, but I don't think it will matter with Herm's game plan.

I will admit I would be dogging on just about anybody Herm hired, so you're right it's not fair, but he has the unfortunate position of joining a team coached by Herm Edwards.

Anybody who hasn't won a SB is going to be too intimidated to stand up to Herm is my guess.

Come on now...you are comparing an OC around the NFL, that has been a college coach and been to 4 SBs and you are comparing him to Solari?? Herm isn't that scary.

hermhater
01-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Come on now...you are comparing an OC around the NFL, that has been a college coach and been to 4 SBs and you are comparing him to Solari?? Herm isn't that scary.

As long as you're in his Tolerance Box!

Canada
01-16-2008, 09:39 PM
As long as you're in his Tolerance Box!

Coaches don't have to be friends to win. Ditka and Ryan.

tammietailgator
01-16-2008, 09:55 PM
To earn respect, Gailey must listen to conscience - Dallas Cowboys' coach Chan Gailey - NFL Insider - Column
Sporting News, The (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208), Feb 23, 1998 (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n8_v222) by Dan Pompei (http://findarticles.com/p/search?tb=art&qa=Dan+Pompei)

They will say Chan Gailey was the last girl sitting alone at the bar. After all, 14 head coaches were hired in the 14 months preceding Gailey's hiring. Gailey wasn't even on Jerry Jones' "A" list Jones danced first with Terry Donahue, George Seifert and Sherm Lewis.
Then, they will look for Jones' lips to move whenever Gailey speaks. After all, Jones didn't want to give Donahue and Seifert the authority they demanded
Then, they will wait for the first time that a pass should have been a run. Gailey, they will say, shaking their heads, has made that mistake before.

But the skeptics should realize Jones could have done a lot worse than hiring Gailey as coach of the Cowboys. In fact, he did do a lot worse when he hired Barry Switzer--and the Cowboys still won a Super Bowl.
It's difficult to imagine the Cowboys going to hell under Gailey the way they did with Switzer. Those who have worked with Gailey will tell you he is meticulously organized, disciplined and committed. When he was head coach of the Birmingham Fire of the World League, Gailey would prepare for the draft by working through the night according to Jaguars senior vice president of football operations Michael Huyghue, who was general manager of the Fire. Switzer also is known for working through the night, in a manner of speaking. Gailey consistently beats his co-workers to the office in the morning. While other coaches try to get their minds off football during a bye week by playing golf, Gailey just spends more time studying game tape.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n8_v222/ai_20342025

This was over 8 years ago, but its a good read. I don't know if he will be good or not - but he has the job, so I hope he keeps studying the playbooks.
:D

hermhater
01-16-2008, 10:10 PM
To earn respect, Gailey must listen to conscience - Dallas Cowboys' coach Chan Gailey - NFL Insider - Column
Sporting News, The (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208), Feb 23, 1998 (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n8_v222) by Dan Pompei (http://findarticles.com/p/search?tb=art&qa=Dan+Pompei)

They will say Chan Gailey was the last girl sitting alone at the bar. After all, 14 head coaches were hired in the 14 months preceding Gailey's hiring. Gailey wasn't even on Jerry Jones' "A" list Jones danced first with Terry Donahue, George Seifert and Sherm Lewis.
Then, they will look for Jones' lips to move whenever Gailey speaks. After all, Jones didn't want to give Donahue and Seifert the authority they demanded
Then, they will wait for the first time that a pass should have been a run. Gailey, they will say, shaking their heads, has made that mistake before.

But the skeptics should realize Jones could have done a lot worse than hiring Gailey as coach of the Cowboys. In fact, he did do a lot worse when he hired Barry Switzer--and the Cowboys still won a Super Bowl.
It's difficult to imagine the Cowboys going to hell under Gailey the way they did with Switzer. Those who have worked with Gailey will tell you he is meticulously organized, disciplined and committed. When he was head coach of the Birmingham Fire of the World League, Gailey would prepare for the draft by working through the night according to Jaguars senior vice president of football operations Michael Huyghue, who was general manager of the Fire. Switzer also is known for working through the night, in a manner of speaking. Gailey consistently beats his co-workers to the office in the morning. While other coaches try to get their minds off football during a bye week by playing golf, Gailey just spends more time studying game tape.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_n8_v222/ai_20342025

This was over 8 years ago, but its a good read. I don't know if he will be good or not - but he has the job, so I hope he keeps studying the playbooks.

I hope he brought his own play book!

:11:

tammietailgator
01-16-2008, 10:16 PM

Here it is! I have been holding it for a couple years.

hermhater
01-16-2008, 10:27 PM
Dangit girly!

Why haven't you given it to Herm!

tammietailgator
01-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Dangit girly!

Why haven't you given it to Herm!

He doesn't even go online, I am not sure he can read.

hermhater
01-16-2008, 10:36 PM
He doesn't even go online, I am not sure he can read.

Touche!

Chiefster
01-16-2008, 11:10 PM

YouTube - The Waterboy - Coach

hermhater
01-16-2008, 11:32 PM
YouTube - The Waterboy - Coach (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5ej7Eui30)

I can never get enough Waterboy!

tammietailgator
01-16-2008, 11:35 PM
You can do it!!!:yahoo:

prough91
01-16-2008, 11:36 PM

all...night...long! That's my favorite part, I think.

Canada
01-16-2008, 11:36 PM

....all night long!!

rbedgood
01-16-2008, 11:37 PM
....all night long....

YouTube - The Waterboy You Can Do it

rbedgood
01-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Okay, so I wasn't the first, but it took a second to pull up the You Tube clip....

HAHAHA

Canada
01-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Okay, so I wasn't the first, but it took a second to pull up the You Tube clip....

HAHAHA

Great minds and all...

Guru
01-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Word!

As Guru said in another thread he is gonna have Herm's arm up his ***, and will be calling Herm's plays like a good little puppet!

all I know is if you google him and puppet you will get a ton of hits.

Canada
01-16-2008, 11:56 PM
4-12...didn't see it Texas

texaschief
01-17-2008, 01:55 AM
4-12...didn't see it Texas

plenty of herm hating....which is what i said infected every thread.....not just the 4-12 record.

hermhater
01-17-2008, 01:58 AM
plenty of herm hating....which is what i said infected every thread.....not just the 4-12 record.

Herm is the reason we have that record.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2007/10/274.jpg

:mob:

rbedgood
01-17-2008, 02:00 AM

Ummm...give the King his due

Canada
01-17-2008, 02:01 AM

Please don't...he gets upset when you make fun of Herm
YouTube - Moffitt & Frankie - Leave Herm Alone on 101 the Fox-KCFX!

texaschief
01-17-2008, 02:01 AM

so, it WASN'T the O-line, injured QBs and the injured RB after all....hmm.

hermhater
01-17-2008, 02:02 AM
Ummm...give the King his due

I have made myself hoarse, and driven myself to drink because of Carl.

He is depressing, and has no room in my brain anymore.

I will focus my anger on Herm.

If Clark decides to get rid of Carl and Herm is the answer then I will gladly eat the crow that is due.

Canada
01-17-2008, 02:02 AM

the O line he did not adress that got the QBs injured? Nope, not his fault at all!!

hermhater
01-17-2008, 02:04 AM

Herm is an Offensive player killer.

It is a fact, and has been documented by the players he has left laying in the dirt, then thrown under the bus.

Then he clips his toenails on T.V. and says it's okayyy.

And you get the bird again.

texaschief
01-17-2008, 02:10 AM
the O line he did not adress that got the QBs injured? Nope, not his fault at all!!

still waiting for someone to offer up who they would've given up in the draft for which O-lineman in the past 2 years.

The O-line woes lay at the feet of Peterson. Not Edwards. The poor play calling lays at the feet of both Solari and Edwards for hiring a coach as an OC who couldn't handle the job....something he better have rectified today.

hermhater
01-17-2008, 02:13 AM
still waiting for someone to offer up who they would've given up in the draft for which O-lineman in the past 2 years.

The O-line woes lay at the feet of Peterson. Not Edwards. The poor play calling lays at the feet of both Solari and Edwards for hiring a coach as an OC who couldn't handle the job....something he better have rectified today.

Agreed!

Canada
01-17-2008, 02:13 AM

I would not have given up any draft picks except maybe the kicker, the 7th round TE or maybe we should have traded Tony G, Jared or LJ

hermhater
01-17-2008, 02:16 AM

The O-line woes lay at the feet of Peterson. Not Edwards. The poor play calling lays at the feet of both Solari and Edwards for hiring a coach as an OC who couldn't handle the job....something he better have rectal probed today.

You said rectal probed!

texaschief
01-17-2008, 02:17 AM
I would not have given up any draft picks except maybe the kicker, the 7th round TE or maybe we should have traded Tony G, Jared or LJ

....really? Mr. "Drop it." You're gonna bring that in here? Fine by me. Imagine how bad *** our O-line could be with 4 first round picks. 2 Rookie O-linemen, a couple FA's and then draft a DE and a CB with the other 2 first RD picks....but i guess that's too many holes to fill.

Canada
01-17-2008, 02:19 AM
....really? Mr. "Drop it." You're gonna bring that in here? Fine by me. Imagine how bad *** our O-line could be with 4 first round picks. 2 Rookie O-linemen, a couple FA's and then draft a DE and a CB with the other 2 first RD picks....but i guess that's too many holes to fill.

Or imagine this...Willie Roaf and Will Shields retired and Herm got replacements for them instead of a kicker a 7th round TE and a busted old lineman from Miami. that woulda been pretty neat too.:bananen_smilies046: But you are right...Herm is not to blame. He has been the ideal coach so far.

rbedgood
01-17-2008, 02:23 AM
Ummm just a thought, Tony Ugoh (T-IND) was available in the 1st round...yeah Bowe turned out to be a great pick, but look at the number of good WRs that were available in the later rounds...Ugoh would've been a great pick at 22, and in the 2nd round C. Ryan Kalil would've been a great pickup...just quick comments. Oh and what WRs could you have gotten later....

James Jones (GB) and Yamon Figurs (Balt) both played well as rookies and went in the 3rd round, and just a year ago Marques Colston came out of nowhere for the Saints (he was a rookie 7th round pick in 2006)

texaschief
01-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Or imagine this...Willie Roaf and Will Shields retired and Herm got replacements for them instead of a kicker a 7th round TE and a busted old lineman from Miami. that woulda been pretty neat too.:bananen_smilies046: But you are right...Herm is not to blame. He has been the ideal coach so far.

The TE was pretty good during the preseason. I don't understand what you're problem is with him as a 7th round pick. That kicker was from UCLA....do you REALLY think that was Herm's choice? come on now....we all know the obvious choice at kicker is in GB now.

texaschief
01-17-2008, 02:27 AM
Ummm just a thought, Tony Ugoh (T-IND) was available in the 1st round...yeah Bowe turned out to be a great pick, but look at the number of good WRs that were available in the later rounds...Ugoh would've been a great pick at 22, and in the 2nd round C. Ryan Kalil would've been a great pickup...just quick comments. Oh and what WRs could you have gotten later....

James Jones (GB) and Yamon Figurs (Balt) both played well as rookies and went in the 3rd round, and just a year ago Marques Colston came out of nowhere for the Saints (he was a rookie 7th round pick in 2006)

So, no DTs?

chief31
01-17-2008, 02:32 AM

So long as nothing gets blamed on Herm, ehh?

hermhater
01-17-2008, 02:33 AM
So, no DTs?

I assume you mean Derrick Thomas's?

That is the point of the other thread.

You can't know what you are getting in the draft, and you want to keep gambling away our "equity" for the unknown?

You place too much on risk, and don't consider the reward!

rbedgood
01-17-2008, 02:44 AM
The TE was pretty good during the preseason. I don't understand what you're problem is with him as a 7th round pick. That kicker was from UCLA....do you REALLY think that was Herm's choice? come on now....we all know the obvious choice at kicker is in GB now.

The obvious choice is to never...I said NEVER waste a draft pick on a kicker...

I did this once before but here y'all go again...(sorted by FG stats this year)

1. Rob Bironas (Undrafted)
2. Mason Crosby (6th round)
3. Robbie Gould (undrafted)
4. Shayne Graham (undrafted)
5. Jason Hanson (2nd round---Lions, go figure)
6. Mike Nugent (2nd round---Jets, was Herm still there??)
7. Shaun Suisham (undrafted)
8. Josh Brown (7th round)
9. Matt Bryant (undrafted)
10. Jason Elam (3rd round)
11. Matt Stover (now defunct 12th round)
12. Phil Dawson (undrafted)
13. Nick Folk (6th round)
14. Morten Anderson (4th round)
15. Kris Brown (7th round)
16. David Akers (undrafted)
17. Nate Kaeding (3rd round)
18. John Kasay (4th round)
19. Rian Lindell (undrafted)
20. Jeff Wilkins (undrafted)
21. Sebastian Janikowski (1st round)
22. Jeff Reed (undrafted)
23. Lawrence Tynes (undrafted)
24. Adam Vinateiri (undrafted)
25. Jay Feely (undrafted)
26. Stephen Gostowski (4th round)
27. Neil Rackers (6th round)
28. Ryan Longwell (undrafted)
29. Joe Nedney (undrafted)
30. Josh Scobee (5th round)

Okay, so what does this say...essentially what matters is look through the list...do you notice a remarkable difference between the drafted and undrafted guys when it comes to on field performance...some of the best on the list (Vinateiri, Reed, Akers, Bryant, Gould & Bironas) went undrafted.

Lazeye
01-17-2008, 02:47 AM
Nice point grasshopper! no more picks for kick ers

Guru
01-17-2008, 02:47 AM

Okay, so what does this say...essentially what matters is look through the list...do you notice a remarkable difference between the drafted and undrafted guys when it comes to on field performance...some of the best on the list (Vinateiri, Reed, Akers, Bryant, Gould & Bironas) went undrafted.
Carl would NEVER understand that.

hermhater
01-17-2008, 02:49 AM

That's a lot of research for kickers man.

Lazeye
01-17-2008, 02:50 AM
its the off season, just extra time to ponder the year ahead

rbedgood
01-17-2008, 02:51 AM
That's a lot of research for kickers man.

Took about 5 minutes, but its not friggin' rocket science. Why use a pick on a kicker that may or may not work out...the difference between Medlock and Crosby in college was nominal...when you can get a Bironas or Gould as an undrafted free agent...

p.s. undrafted free agents usually don't get signing bonuses and can thus be cut without salary cap implications...

texaschief
01-17-2008, 02:52 AM

again, you're kidding yourself if you think it was Herm's idea to draft the UCLA kicker. Hell, when they were talking about him in their post draft press conference, it was Carl who was explaining the pick...not Herm.

rbedgood
01-17-2008, 02:53 AM

again, you're kidding yourself if you think it was Herm's idea to draft the UCLA kicker. Hell, when they were talking about him in their post draft press conference, it was Carl who was explaining the pick...not Herm.

Who isn't reading posts now...he said CARL...not HERM.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

texaschief
01-17-2008, 03:06 AM
Who isn't reading posts now...he said CARL...not HERM.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

oh....:lol: ....i'm tired. I should probably go.

I've got class tomorrow. For those who want to know, I'm 24 and working toward my masters degree in Sports Management. I've only got one more year and i should be set.:yahoo: ....yeah right.

So, for all those who think i don't know what i'm talking about, y'all should take it up with my professors who are giving me A's as i work toward my second piece of paper in business.:D

hermhater
01-17-2008, 03:08 AM

I've got class tomorrow. For those who want to know, I'm 24 and working toward my masters degree in Sports Management. I've only got one more year and i should be set.:yahoo: ....yeah right.

So, for all those who think i don't know what i'm talking about, y'all should take it up with my professors who are giving me A's as i work toward my second piece of paper in business.:D

Life rarely imitates what has been learned in school.

Good luck man!

texaschief
01-17-2008, 03:10 AM
Life rarely imitates what has been learned in school.

Good luck man!

I hear ya....that's why i try to be original in my thoughts....but apparently, i'm just a copy cat.

rbedgood
01-17-2008, 03:18 AM
I hear ya....that's why i try to be original in my thoughts....but apparently, i'm just a copy cat.

Personally I think you have some original thoughts, I just think when you are posting something like the "trade the stars" post, you should make it more clear to the folks around here when/if you are stirring the pot for discussion and when you are fully serious as your intentions do run the gamit and aren't always clear.

Guru
01-17-2008, 03:23 AM

Better get that reading thing down then or those A's will drop fast.:D

You don't attend UCLA do ya?

rbedgood
01-17-2008, 03:24 AM

Actually the A's are taking a page out of the Royals handbook and trading away all their talent...

texaschief
01-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Personally I think you have some original thoughts, I just think when you are posting something like the "trade the stars" post, you should make it more clear to the folks around here when/if you are stirring the pot for discussion and when you are fully serious as your intentions do run the gamit and aren't always clear.

as far as that thread goes, i'm dead serious. If we could get enough for those players, i would trade them in a heart beat. at some point, Chiefs fans need to stop carrying the Lamar flame and realize this is business and we should do what's best for the future of the organization and not the individual players so much.

What do you think Gonzo REALLY wants? to play his whole career in the same place or win a ring? Do you honestly think J. Allen wants to play here? How bout Larry? Mr. Manhattan himself. Think he likes being stuck in republican hell? None of these players even want to be here. Why not trade them and give everyone what they want while we pick up 7 or 8 picks/players?

texaschief
01-17-2008, 03:28 AM

You don't attend UCLA do ya?

for real. :funnypost:

Canada
01-17-2008, 03:30 AM
as far as that thread goes, i'm dead serious. If we could get enough for those players, i would trade them in a heart beat. at some point, Chiefs fans need to stop carrying the Lamar flame and realize this is business and we should do what's best for the future of the organization and not the individual players so much.

What do you think Gonzo REALLY wants? to play his whole career in the same place or win a ring? Do you honestly think J. Allen wants to play here? How bout Larry? Mr. Manhattan himself. Think he likes being stuck in republican hell? None of these players even want to be here. Why not trade them and give everyone what they want while we pick up 7 or 8 picks/players?

Just curious, but what do you do with those 7 or 8 players when they get good? Or what happens if they don't want to be here? Rebuild again? Keep some talented veterans who still have a few good years and build around them instead of having 53 rookies on the team next year.

Canada
01-17-2008, 03:30 AM

Seriously...stop crying about it.

hermhater
01-17-2008, 03:33 AM
Oh brother...

My finger is itching for the bird again...

rbedgood
01-17-2008, 03:34 AM

...I misread your intentions, and although I can understand your viewpoint I will respectfully diagree on the sentiment.

First of all, although all three players may end up happier on a winning team, a number of questions arise from this theory.

First of all if you trade LJ, what can you get? Can you even trade him with his salary as it is structured? He doesn't strike me as a guy to take a pay cut (restructured deal)

Secondly, how do you get even value for a guy like Jared Allen? The reason you don't see trades for blockbuster players very often is they're hard to complete.

Finally the only way you can trade Tony Gonzalez is if he comes out and says, "I want to go, I want to play somewhere else where I can win". Otherwise the backlash from fans, teammates, and the inability to attract free agents (by trading him you're stating we can't win in the near future) is very difficult to overcome.

Trust me, especially on that last point...I've watched my team suffer the consequences.

texaschief
01-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Actually the A's are taking a page out of the Royals handbook and trading away all their talent...

dude....you need to read money ball. this is what the A's do every 6 or 7 years. That's why they are ALWAYS competitive. They trade away their top players for huge prospects coming back. They trade away one player and bring back like 7 top prospects in return. They will go thru a couple tough seasons, but then they'll explode with a bunch of talent no one has ever heard of while maintaining one of the lowest payrolls in the league.

That's what the Marlins do as well. The Rangers have just done this to an extent when they traded Teixiera for the Braves' 5 top prospects. Jon Daniels took a Ranger's system with one of the worst farm systems in the league and turned it into #4 according to Baseball America.

This system of trading away top talent today for more top talent tomorrow really DOES work. It's even worked in the NFL. How do you think Jimmy Johnson built the 1990's Cowboys? Remember the Hershall Walker trade? ...lol...i don't. I was in 2nd grade. But i've read about it.

rbedgood
01-17-2008, 03:37 AM
dude....you need to read money ball. this is what the A's do every 6 or 7 years. That's why they are ALWAYS competitive. They trade away their top players for huge prospects coming back. They trade away one player and bring back like 7 top prospects in return. They will go thru a couple tough seasons, but then they'll explode with a bunch of talent no one has ever heard of while maintaining one of the lowest payrolls in the league.

That's what the Marlins do as well. The Rangers have just done this to an extent when they traded Teixiera for the Braves' 5 top prospects. Jon Daniels took a Ranger's system with one of the worst farm systems in the league and turned it into #4 according to Baseball America.

This system of trading away top talent today for more top talent tomorrow really DOES work. It's even worked in the NFL. How do you think Jimmy Johnson built the 1990's Cowboys? Remember the Hershall Walker trade? ...lol...i don't. I was in 2nd grade. But i've read about it.

I've read Moneyball, I grew up in Fremont (where the A's are building their new stadium)...however I think the Kotsay move as well as some of the other ones Beane has made this offseason are mistakes, and will backfire. Personal opinion...that is all.

hermhater
01-17-2008, 03:38 AM

rbedgood
01-17-2008, 03:39 AM

DIE BIRD

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/01/121.jpg

chief31
01-17-2008, 03:41 AM
I would say that you make Jared Allen happy to be here, because his ability is something that is eternally rare in the NFL, and it is one that is essential to building a top-flight defense. He is the guy that you can center your defensive building around.

As for Tony Gonzales, it would be difficult to let him leave, because he truly is the one, single, offensive player on the Chiefs who we can can count on. He has been incredibly consistent and healthy for his entire career.

Also, I don't know that there would be anyone willing to give fair value in trade for a TE who is "playing the back nine". No matter how well he is playing that back nine, it would be a risk to make a big deal for someone who plays such a physical position, at his age.

Having said that, I wouldn't rule-out the option of listening to trade offers.

L.J.? I think texaschief and I have always agreed on this subject. It would have been monumentally insightful to have traded him during last offseason, and now his value has diminished greatly. Due to a huge contract, recent mystery injury, and lack of recent production.

But, if we could unload him, I would be more than willing to try and work something out.

texaschief
01-17-2008, 03:41 AM
...I misread your intentions, and although I can understand your viewpoint I will respectfully diagree on the sentiment.

First of all, although all three players may end up happier on a winning team, a number of questions arise from this theory.

First of all if you trade LJ, what can you get? Can you even trade him with his salary as it is structured? He doesn't strike me as a guy to take a pay cut (restructured deal) Valid point. Since his resigning, i've tried to think of any way immaginable to trade this guy...then he got hurt. Now it's nearly impossible to trade him this season and a trade with LJ would probably have to wait till next season.

Secondly, how do you get even value for a guy like Jared Allen? The reason you don't see trades for blockbuster players very often is they're hard to complete. Also very true. But who knows. There could be a team out there looking to trade for him. I think Miami would give their first pick for a proven DE instead of gambling with that pick while also giving up a couple later round picks in the process.

Finally the only way you can trade Tony Gonzalez is if he comes out and says, "I want to go, I want to play somewhere else where I can win". Otherwise the backlash from fans, teammates, and the inability to attract free agents (by trading him you're stating we can't win in the near future) is very difficult to overcome.He hasn't said it publically. But i'm sure something has been said. He's one of the loudest grumblers in the locker room.

Trust me, especially on that last point...I've watched my team suffer the consequences.

Trading away top talent isn't a new concept.

GoDJGoDJ
01-17-2008, 07:25 AM
I actually like this hire. He's had success as an offensive coordinator and Cowher had good things to say about him. Supposedly he's good at game planning and teaching young players. The jury is still out at this point, but I think this is a good hire based on what we know so far. Hopefully we can get him a decent O Line to work with.

AkChief49
01-17-2008, 07:53 AM
for me, for now....Chan's the man!!

chief31
01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
I am upset with the decision to not bother talking to Cameron, but I am not going to attack this guy yet.