PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Draft

Chiefsfan27
03-15-2007, 10:34 PM
This is how I think the Chiefs should use their draft selesctions assuming they do not gain or lose any picks

Round 1 #23- WR
Dwayne Bowe from LSU would be a perfect fit for the Chiefs and he will probably fall right into the Chiefs' lap at #23.
Possible others could be Ted Ginn Jr (Ohio State), Robert Meachem (Tennessee), Dwayne Jarrett (USC).

Round 2 #23- OT
Tony Ugoh from Arkansas could fall to this spot, if not Ryan Harris (Notre Dame). I think the Chiefs hsould get a DT at this spot but there is not a late-second round talent to take at this pick.
Possible others could be Doug Free (Northern Illinois), Joe Staley (Central Michigan)

Round 3 #23- DT
There will probably be good third round DT's availible, so the Chiefs should take someone like Turk McBride from Tennessee.
Others could be Marcus Thomas (Florida) or Ryan McBean (Oklahoma)

Round 4 #23- Chiefs don't have a pick

Round 5 #23- CB
At this spot we take a corner. Travarious Bain from Hampton might not be there, but if he is this will be an amazing pick for the Chiefs.
Others could be John Talley (Duke), C.J. Gaddis (Clemson) or Tarell Brown (Texas)

Round 6 #23- FB or CB
We need a Fullback. It depends who is there or else we will snag another corner. If 1. Le'Ron McClain (Alabama), 2. Cory Snelling (Tennessee), 3. Jason Snelling (Virginia) or 4. Deon Anderson (UConn) is there at this pick, I say grab the best one that is left. If none of them are, the Chiefs should take a corner like Willie Gaston (Houston)

Round 7 #23- CB or QB
If we got a corner in round 6, take a QB. If we took a Fullback, take a corner. If we are going after a Quarterback, we should take Zac Taylor (Nebraska). Other Quarterbacks could be James Pinkney (East Carolina), Matt Moore (Oregon State) or Luke Getsy (Akron). If we were to take a corner, I say we should take Ryan Smith (Florida) or Michael Coe (Alabama State)

kenny1937
03-16-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm not sure what is in upper managements mind, but I do know that Hermie wants to bring youth into this team, which is needed, i have no quarrel with that process, as long as quality veterans are there to be examples and leaders. You prognosis is as good as the others I have seen on the board, good job.

:character00269: :character00113: :bananen_smilies096:

Chiefster
03-16-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm not sure what is in upper managements mind, but I do know that Hermie wants to bring youth into this team, which is needed, i have no quarrel with that process, as long as quality veterans are there to be examples and leaders. You prognosis is as good as the others I have seen on the board, good job.

:character00269: :character00113: :bananen_smilies096:

Ditto! :)

texaschief
03-17-2007, 01:43 AM
i've gotta tell ya, i don't think you'll see k.c. take on offensive player unless it's on O-Lineman. . . and you'll only see that if levi brown, joe thomas, or maybe justin blalock fall to them. don't be suprised to see them take a DE, DT, or CB in the first round. i think they see Webb as their upgrade at WR. while everyone sees the chiefs offense as needing a verticle threat to stretch the field, really, a WR in this offense is useless. why waste the pick?

look for the chiefs to get younger on the defensive line, offensive line, or cornerback with their first 2 if not 3 picks.

Chiefster
03-17-2007, 06:19 AM
i've gotta tell ya, i don't think you'll see k.c. take on offensive player unless it's on O-Lineman. . . and you'll only see that if levi brown, joe thomas, or maybe justin blalock fall to them. don't be suprised to see them take a DE, DT, or CB in the first round. i think they see Webb as their upgrade at WR. while everyone sees the chiefs offense as needing a verticle threat to stretch the field, really, a WR in this offense is useless. why waste the pick?

look for the chiefs to get younger on the defensive line, offensive line, or cornerback with their first 2 if not 3 picks.

We'll need a good WR for those many third and longs we'll have.

texaschief
03-17-2007, 02:02 PM
We'll need a good WR for those many third and longs we'll have.
you know, they've said that for the last couple years. i honestly don't think you'll them take a wr. herm loves defense too much. in his eyes, webb and gonzalez are the only recievers he'll need. plus, we'll still have parker and kennison. i just don't think it's as big of a deal to the management as it is to the pundits on ESPN and the NFL network. like i said, you don't need a RANDY MOSS or T.O. in this offense. would it be nice to have one? sure. just don't count on it.

Chiefster
03-17-2007, 07:01 PM
you know, they've said that for the last couple years. i honestly don't think you'll them take a wr. herm loves defense too much. in his eyes, webb and gonzalez are the only recievers he'll need. plus, we'll still have parker and kennison. i just don't think it's as big of a deal to the management as it is to the pundits on ESPN and the NFL network. like i said, you don't need a RANDY MOSS or T.O. in this offense. would it be nice to have one? sure. just don't count on it.

Yeah I totally agree especially given the bland offense Herm wants to run. My reply was mere commentary of my total disdain for Hermie-ball. :D

chief31
03-18-2007, 01:19 PM

I hate to say this, but I don't see an offensive lineman being picked on the first day. They need to, but I am certain that they believe, all of their O-line problems were solved, when they signed a sub-par T from the Dolphins. I hope I'm wrong, but something tells me, that is where they sit.

Also, I don't want any of those high-risk type recievers that will be left over when we draft at 23rd. I see one or two of them being available in the second round. I say, hope for Anthony Gonzales or Steve Smith to fall that far. Since that is the only offensive position I see the Chiefs drafting on the first day.

I realize that the Chiefs have a history of skipping recievers in the first round, but I think Herms lack of offensive vision will force him to go that route, just so he isn't accused of ignoring that side of the ball.

Chiefster
03-18-2007, 01:24 PM
I hate to say this, but I don't see an offensive lineman being picked on the first day. They need to, but I am certain that they believe, all of their O-line problems were solved, when they signed a sub-par T from the Dolphins. I hope I'm wrong, but something tells me, that is where they sit.

Also, I don't want any of those high-risk type recievers that will be left over when we draft at 23rd. I see one or two of them being available in the second round. I say, hope for Anthony Gonzales or Steve Smith to fall that far. Since that is the only offensive position I see the Chiefs drafting on the first day.

I realize that the Chiefs have a history of skipping recievers in the first round, but I think Herms lack of offensive vision will force him to go that route, just so he isn't accused of ignoring that side of the ball.

Agreed, but a bit late for that.

chief31
03-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Perhaps I should have phrased that " In an attempt to simmer complaints of his ignoring that side of the ball" Which will not work for me, anyways.

Chiefster
03-18-2007, 01:32 PM
Perhaps I should have phrased that " In an attempt to simmer complaints of his ignoring that side of the ball" Which will not work for me, anyways.

LOL! Much better. :D

Coach
03-18-2007, 09:19 PM
I personally hope we take a WR with the first pick. If you want your QB to succeed and are building for the future, why not let Croyle and a young WR start to build chemistry now?

My feelings wouldn't be hurt if we got Anthony Gonzalez with the pirst pick though.

texaschief
03-19-2007, 03:57 AM
i think i'm officially against taking WR's in the first round. even a top 5 or 10 pick. how many did the lions take with thier top picks? at BEST Roy Williams is an above average reciever. havn't heard a thing from Mike Williams... and wasn't Charles Rogers a FA there in K.C. for a visit this year? no thanks. give me a player at a position that's a little less risk. Obviously DT is out of the question as for the chiefs. Sims, Wilkerson, Siavii.... not exactly stellar picks for first or second rounders. so, that leaves OL and CB. not a bad place to be. personally, if none of the things i suggested happen, i'd trade down and take 2 OL if there were no GREAT corners to be had at 23. take a guard and a tackle and call it a day.

will that happen? no. there's never been foresight with this team, so, like y'all have said, we'll probably take a bust WR or DT and we'll get the hose like usual.

Chiefster
03-19-2007, 04:56 PM
I personally hope we take a WR with the first pick. If you want your QB to succeed and are building for the future, why not let Croyle and a young WR start to build chemistry now?

My feelings wouldn't be hurt if we got Anthony Gonzalez with the pirst pick though.

Agreed; I think that if we are going to plan for the future then we're going to have to be content with a couple of rebuilding years, and give up these quick fix scemes designed to yeild a season that has us playing just good enough to drop us to 23rd in the draft.

wolfpack
03-19-2007, 05:45 PM
if one of the top 3 wr`s fall into our lap even hermie wont pass him up. i think the queen will force his hand something like he did with LJ. other than that hermie knows offense like dickie knew defense.

Chiefster
03-19-2007, 06:41 PM
if one of the top 3 wr`s fall into our lap even hermie wont pass him up. i think the queen will force his hand something like he did with LJ. other than that hermie knows offense like dickie knew defense.

Yep; for sure!

stlchief
03-20-2007, 10:34 AM
We have two young receivers who look to get playing time this year. No way a first round pick goes to a WR. If we are building youth, the only options are the O & D lines for the first few picks. No "skill-position" players until day 2.

texaschief
03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
the more i look at it, the more i think we'll take a CB in the first round. i could even see us taking a DE eventhough we've still got Allen under contract. this draft is loaded on the DL, so who knows. but i promise you it will be on the Defensive side of the ball.

Coach
03-20-2007, 10:45 PM
i think i'm officially against taking WR's in the first round. even a top 5 or 10 pick. how many did the lions take with thier top picks? at BEST Roy Williams is an above average reciever. havn't heard a thing from Mike Williams... and wasn't Charles Rogers a FA there in K.C. for a visit this year? no thanks.

I like the idea of a WR in the first round due to the history of good WR's being drafted in the first round. Almost all of the pro bowl WR's from the last 7 years have come in the very early rounds. Visit this link to see what I'm talking about.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

Almost none were drafted in the late rounds. This could probably be said for most positions, but I think the 'skill' positions are affected even more.

To compare the WR issues in Detroit to the Chiefs is not a fair representation. The O-line has sucked in Detroit for several years. QB's in Detroit run for the their life, that's why they go through about 3 QB's a season and have little to no running game. Trust me, I live in Detroit and have to hear the Lions fans cry all of the time. If you put either of the Williams' in KC, they would be our #1 WR.

:character0013: GO CHIEFS!

wolfpack
03-21-2007, 11:03 PM
i think it couldbe a CB. law and surtain are getting old and we dont have any worth while young guns to back them up. but law and surtain will start this year because pollard and paige will start as the safties. need some real vet`s ahead of them. paige played alot last year and pollard is ready. now that we have dumped knight maybe wesley is next or atleast traded. let the young guns play.

Coach
03-22-2007, 10:13 PM
OT, DE, DT, WR, CB, LB. I think these are all of the positions that I have heard people talking about as draft picks on this board. I guess it's really a crap shoot.

wolfpack
03-26-2007, 09:46 AM
hermie wont pick a WR. he knows jack on how to run a offense,unless you call elevator music type offense an offense. queen carl willbe have to pick the WR,,,,lord help us.

kenny1937
03-27-2007, 06:39 PM
hermie wont pick a WR. he knows jack on how to run a offense,unless you call elevator music type offense an offense. queen carl willbe have to pick the WR,,,,lord help us.

I am pulling what little hair I have out already wolfpack, and you are right, we need all the help that we can get :10: or otherwise.

:bananen_smilies032: :bananen_smilies032:

diehardkcfan
03-28-2007, 04:39 AM
i think that if chris houston from arkansas is still there in the first round we gotta go with him, a good WR could be picked up in the 2nd round. but dwayne bowe would still be a nice 1st round pick! we have so many directions we could go, this will be an interesting draft.

wolfpack
03-28-2007, 10:26 AM
alot of draft sites say we are going to pick the WR from ohio state.glenn?. Houston wouldbe a grrat choice also. if both are there it mightbe intersting.

chief31
03-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Ted Ginn Jr. is souning alot like Dante Hall. He is being rated higher, for his kick return abilities. That's the negative word on him.

Coach
03-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Ted Ginn Jr. is souning alot like Dante Hall. He is being rated higher, for his kick return abilities. That's the negative word on him.
We need a new kick returner as well. That makes Ginn even more intriguing in my mind.
:bananen_smilies088:

diehardkcfan
03-28-2007, 07:03 PM
We need a new kick returner as well. That makes Ginn even more intriguing in my mind.
:bananen_smilies088:

i dont see why we would need a new kick returner, hall didnt have as good as a season as he has had in the past but theres no reason to be looking for a new returner!

Coach
03-28-2007, 07:14 PM
I think Hall's best days are behind him.

diehardkcfan
03-28-2007, 07:22 PM
i dont think ginn will be available by the time the chiefs are up, i think the titans will take ginn, i just think there are better WRs that will be available

Coach
03-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Agreed. Ginn will be gone.

kenny1937
03-29-2007, 03:08 AM
My confidence level in management, has taken a nose dive, I'm not sure if Ginn was available that you know who would go after him, it will be an interesting draft though, and will give us a lot to chew on heading into the pre season, which is just 4 months off!!

:bananen_smilies088: :character00180: :Car 1:

chief31
03-29-2007, 09:41 AM
I pray that Ginn doesn't drop to us, because I bet we would draft him. There will be better WRs drafted in the fourth round. As far as kick returning goes, take a look around the N.F.L. Hall is still one of the better returners, in the league.

Coach
03-29-2007, 09:49 AM
I just hope we take a WR in the first round. Ginn or anyone else.

chief31
03-29-2007, 10:20 AM
I just hope we take a WR in the first round. Ginn or anyone else.

I like you Coach, but consider this guy,
:violent-smiley-050: my "evil eye". JK.

There is only one wideout worthy of a first round pick, this season. IMO. And there are so many second round guys, (Ginn) who will be available when we draft second. Of course, you are entitle to your opinion, no matter how wrong....horribly, indescribably wrong... it may be. LOL.

wolfpack
03-29-2007, 10:47 AM
i see Jarret time was in the 4.6`s yesterday. his stockwill probably fall to a second day draft.

Chiefster
03-29-2007, 11:38 AM
My confidence level in management, has taken a nose dive, I'm not sure if Ginn was available that you know who would go after him, it will be an interesting draft though, and will give us a lot to chew on heading into the pre season, which is just 4 months off!!

:bananen_smilies088: :character00180: :Car 1:

Still too long for me; I'm counting the minutes. LOL!

Chiefster
03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
I pray that Ginn doesn't drop to us, because I bet we would draft him. There will be better WRs drafted in the fourth round. As far as kick returning goes, take a look around the N.F.L. Hall is still one of the better returners, in the league.

Except Hall seems to have lost his forward "Drive" gear and only runs in "reverse" now.

diehardkcfan
03-29-2007, 02:05 PM
I like you Coach, but consider this guy,
:violent-smiley-050: my "evil eye". JK.

There is only one wideout worthy of a first round pick, this season. IMO. And there are so many second round guys, (Ginn) who will be available when we draft second. Of course, you are entitle to your opinion, no matter how wrong....horribly, indescribably wrong... it may be. LOL.

they may not all be worthy of a first round pick but the need for them is the reason so many will go in the first round.

stlchief
03-30-2007, 01:46 AM
Webb and Hannon will play next year, it seems they are the receivers of the futuer. I doubt we draft a WR in the first few rounds...

Coach
03-30-2007, 10:04 AM
I want a WR because I think it is the position that we need the most help with. Obviously this is debatable. If the WR's that we'd be picking are still going to be around in the 2nd, then obviously it makes sense to wait.

I just am not a big fan of our WR's. The WR's on our squad have benefited from having some good RB's(Priest and LJ) that teams stacked 8 men in the box against.

They are not good WR's though.

chief31
03-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Yeah, Coach, I agree. Our WRs are not very talented. I just hate the odds of getting a better reciever, especially with this years crop, in the first round, than in the second or third. I am real high on Anthony Gonzales. ( I swear, it's more than just a name thing.) I fully expect us to take a reciever, in one of the first two rounds. I do like Meachem and Dwayne Bowe, just feel that they will be a slight "reach", at 23rd, overall.

Now, depending upon what happens with Trent, we may have an extra second round pick to play with. I am happy about that prospect.

kenny1937
03-31-2007, 05:43 PM
I agree with the opinions supporting a wr pick, I am still hoping that the o line will some how be addressed, but until the draft takes place it is fun to speculate on what will happen, I am enjoying all these posts greatly.

:bananen_smilies091: :bananen_smilies091: :bananen_smilies091: :victory:

Coach
03-31-2007, 08:53 PM
We have a poll running on the home page where you can vote on which position you would like to see drafted.
http://www.ChiefsCrowd.com

Chiefster
03-31-2007, 08:59 PM
I want a WR because I think it is the position that we need the most help with. Obviously this is debatable. If the WR's that we'd be picking are still going to be around in the 2nd, then obviously it makes sense to wait.

I just am not a big fan of our WR's. The WR's on our squad have benefited from having some good RB's(Priest and LJ) that teams stacked 8 men in the box against.

They are not good WR's though.

I agree with this, and (not to beat a dead horse but) they have also benefited from an Offensive line, in years past, that could pass protect giving Green time to step up and deliver the ball between the numbers.

chief31
04-01-2007, 12:28 PM
I agree with this, and (not to beat a dead horse but) they have also benefited from an Offensive line, in years past, that could pass protect giving Green time to step up and deliver the ball between the numbers.

Not to mention, Trent Green can make a WR corps look alot better than what they actually are. (provided proper protection)

jgunn1966
04-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Take the best player available that fills a need. Don't let Carl P. pick anymore and let Herm do his magic. Herm seems better at player development that coaching, sometimes. (last year's draft [vs] playoff coaching)

Chiefster
04-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Not to mention, Trent Green can make a WR corps look alot better than what they actually are. (provided proper protection)

Exactly! When Trent does retire; I'd like to see him as QB coach.