PDA

View Full Version : Should we waste a pick on a QB?

Lazeye
01-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Hell no, Hell no, HELL NO! I am tired about reading that we might get a qb and tha is the dumbest idea ever we have brodie and just need to give the rocket arm a pad to fly from not run from or fall on! If we draft a qb this year I am not sure what I will do for it has not happened yet but it could be my snapping point. I am one of the fans that left baseball and to never return after the strike, this could do that to me. I do yes I know love the royals and do foolow them each year from the newspaper only I just do not want to do that to the chiefs too.

Chiefster
01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Agreed; the pick should be an O-Lineman.

DrunkHillbilly
01-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Hell no, Hell no, HELL NO! I am tired about reading that we might get a qb and tha is the dumbest idea ever we have brodie and just need to give the rocket arm a pad to fly from not run from or fall on! If we draft a qb this year I am not sure what I will do for it has not happened yet but it could be my snapping point. I am one of the fans that left baseball and to never return after the strike, this could do that to me. I do yes I know love the royals and do foolow them each year from the newspaper only I just do not want to do that to the chiefs too.
I definetly don't think we should draft a QB in the first few rounds but if there is someone worth looking at in the later rounds I think we should consider it. Croyle isn't the answer and at some point we will need to address this because it will become an issue IMO.

hermhater
01-21-2008, 03:19 PM
I definetly don't think we should draft a QB in the first few rounds but if there is someone worth looking at in the later rounds I think we should consider it. Croyle isn't the answer and at some point we will need to address this because it will become an issue IMO.

What about Thigpen? No confidence in him either?

DrunkHillbilly
01-21-2008, 03:47 PM
What about Thigpen? No confidence in him either?
Is this a serious question Herm? Now your lobbying for Tyler Thigpen to be our starter? The kid that wasn't even invited to the combine?

I guess to answer your question, Uhhhh no, I have no confidence in Thigpen as our starter. Next question please.

m0ef0e
01-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Even though Brodie has gone 0-6 so far as a starter, I think we will go for some linemen and give him another shot next season behind an improved o-line. I'm not really sold on Croyle myself, but I also don't have a problem with him getting another crack at it. The line was so atrocious this season that even a great scrambler would have had a wealth of problems in KC.

hermhater
01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Is this a serious question Herm? Now your lobbying for Tyler Thigpen to be our starter? The kid that wasn't even invited to the combine?

I guess to answer your question, Uhhhh no, I have no confidence in Thigpen as our starter. Next question please.

I'm not lobbying for anyone at this point. We have absolutely no idea how well ANYONE would play at QB because it's hard to throw the ball while laying on your back.

bigmoneykc420
01-21-2008, 04:07 PM
I think Brodie can be "The Guy". Obviously he needs more starts and a better line, but he has the talent (size, arm strength, toughness). A healthy LJ could fix some of the problems too.

tornadospotter
01-21-2008, 04:16 PM
No we do not need to draft a Qb in a lest the early rounds. O-line is a priority needs! However or whoever we draft, I will always be a Chief, and will follow my team to victory, or cry in defeat. I am true red and gold.

tornadospotter
01-21-2008, 04:19 PM
I think Brodie can be "The Guy". Obviously he needs more starts and a better line, but he has the talent (size, arm strength, toughness). A healthy LJ could fix some of the problems too.
Not with out a o-line. That was proven this season!

Chiefster
01-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Even though Brodie has gone 0-6 so far as a starter, I think we will go for some linemen and give him another shot next season behind an improved o-line. I'm not really sold on Croyle myself, but I also don't have a problem with him getting another crack at it. The line was so atrocious this season that even a great scrambler would have had a wealth of problems in KC.

Agreed!

DrunkHillbilly
01-21-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm not lobbying for anyone at this point. We have absolutely no idea how well ANYONE would play at QB because it's hard to throw the ball while laying on your back.
I was just bustin your balls! I know you weren't lobbying for him. I just think that position is in such need at this point. I guess I will give Croyle another chance behind a hopefully improved line but having a decent line doesn't mean you can throw anyone under center and they will be successful.

tornadospotter
01-21-2008, 11:05 PM
I was just bustin your balls! I know you weren't lobbying for him. I just think that position is in such need at this point. I guess I will give Croyle another chance behind a hopefully improved line but having a decent line doesn't mean you can throw anyone under center and they will be successful.
I will agree to that, I not sure that Croyle is the QB of the future, but I don't really think that the QB is of greater need than O-Line, so I am not getting how you think that is a position in such need. But then again Herm is the head coach, maybe we need lots of QB's! :D

hermhater
01-21-2008, 11:18 PM
I will agree to that, I not sure that Croyle is the QB of the future, but I don't really think that the QB is of greater need than O-Line, so I am not getting how you think that is a position in such need. But then again Herm is the head coach, maybe we need lots of QB's! :D

Yeah, because Herm has such "bad luck" at that position.

Who wants to bet we have Testaverde playing for the Chiefs next year for a game or two?

:mob:

Three7s
01-21-2008, 11:36 PM
I'll agree, but I can't say that he has the toughness. He's injury-prone.

hermhater
01-21-2008, 11:41 PM
I'll agree, but I can't say that he has the toughness. He's injury-prone.

Unless your Big Ben, QB's need to not try and tackle a pack of defensive players when they throw an interception.

That is the biggest mistake I saw from Brodie all year.

spiman
01-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Hell Yes!!! I am tired of hand me downs.. And Brodie C. sucks like I have said all year>>But Joe M. from my bay area did not suck but hand me down.. Look where he retired.. Not in K.C.

hermhater
01-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Hell Yes!!! I am tired of hand me downs.. And Brodie C. sucks like I have said all year>>But Joe M. from my bay area did not suck but hand me down.. Look where he retired.. Not in K.C.

So we draft a talented QB and have him watch Brodie get flattened all year because we don't have an O line?

That will teach him how to excel in the NFL!

Until we have an O line there is absolutely no use for another QB for the Chiefs.
:bananen_smilies046:

spiman
01-22-2008, 12:43 AM
That is what the rest of the draft picks are for.. 1st high round pick on "O" line dude? Not\\butt Now if we trade picks for more high round numbers now we are talking--Quanity

hermhater
01-22-2008, 12:49 AM
That is what the rest of the draft picks are for.. 1st high round pick on "O" line dude? Not\butt Now if we trade picks for more high round numbers now we are talking--Quanity

We need more than one O lineman.

I have no desire to see who Herm will draft at the QB position.

Use the picks on CB's later in the draft!

:11:

m0ef0e
01-22-2008, 01:47 AM
linemen, linemen, linemen.. then a couple of cb's

:bananen_smilies046: :sign0098: HH!

Chiefster
01-22-2008, 01:57 AM

Ditto!

hermhater
01-22-2008, 02:00 AM
Wow!

People think I'm wise!

:yahoo:

:biggrin:

m0ef0e
01-22-2008, 02:00 AM
Wow!

People think I'm wise!

:yahoo:

Let's not get carried away... :lol:

hermhater
01-22-2008, 02:05 AM
Let's not get carried away... :lol:

Heh!

DrunkHillbilly
01-22-2008, 10:28 AM
My opinion is based strictly on the fact that I don't think Croyle can take us to the next level even with an improved line. I just don't see him as one who will stop making the decisions he is making now. Inconsistantly accurate and some bad decisions that lead to INT's. As I've always said, it's just my opinion but I'm not sold on him.

DrunkHillbilly
01-22-2008, 10:30 AM

I agree. Corner is also a need that we have tom address.

Canada
01-22-2008, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't mind a QB as long as our other much more important needs are addressed first. Are we keeping Huard?? I would still like to see Brodie get some competition for the position.

rbedgood
01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
It is rare that a 3rd or 4th round corner would be NFL ready. With the quickly advancing age of Law and Surtain, I would guess any real solution would have to come via free agency, but drafting a 4th round or 5th round corner to prepare him for 2 years out, would be foresight beyond the expectation I'd have for Herm/Carl.

Likely top free agents at DB

Dre Bly---Denver...he's not Champ Bailey, and he's not really young, but he's way better than Law or Surtain...3 years younger than Law and 1 year younger than Surtain.

Randall Gay--NE...he's only 25, is on the upside, showed improvement this year. He'll likely get a good contract, but nothing like Nate Clements last year.

Drayton Florence--SD...he's still fairly young at 27, has had flashes of brilliance, but is generally somewhat pedestrian. He doesn't get burned bad often, but doesn't make a lot of huge plays. Better suited as a 2nd CB than the top guy.

BJ Sams-Baltimore- In addition to being an up and coming corner, he's one of the top 3-4 returners in the game. He's probably at best a nickle back though and at age 27 probably isn't going to get better.

Other guys of interest on the list are Eric Green (AZ), Charles Tillman (Chicago), Jason Webster (Northern New York), and Reynaldo Hill (Tennessee).

rbedgood
01-22-2008, 11:40 AM
There is one guy that is a potential free agent who might be interesting. Tim Rattay. He hasn't ever lit it up, but has been pretty decent in some tough spots as a fill-in guy. Given an opportunity he could be interesting, and would at least push Croyle...additionally he probably wouldn't be too expensive as he isn't a guy like Matt Schaub last year who had shown a lot already.

hermhater
01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
As long as we get a good LT and another lineman (I have no idea how many are gonna be left after this year), and at least one good CB I will be satisfied that Herm hasn't totally ignored the O line this year.

rbedgood
01-22-2008, 04:44 PM
As long as we get a good LT and another lineman (I have no idea how many are gonna be left after this year), and at least one good CB I will be satisfied that Herm hasn't totally ignored the O line this year.

I think the Chiefs will have a better than 50/50 shot at getting Jake Long in the draft. If they do that, he can almost single-handedly make the O-line better. He obviously improves his position, and as others have discussed, moving McIntosh to RT would be better than serviceable. I'd argue that a strong tackle on both sides makes your Guards better, even if you don't actually change the personnel. If I were the Chiefs I'd still try to make a run at a FA linemen, (either a G or a T)...think if you could move McIntosh to RG instead of RT)...the line would be very impressive at that point.

Lazeye
01-22-2008, 08:27 PM

Thats what I am talking about! I trust brodie with a half decent line to be able to bloom as needed. I do not think damon was able to groom him very well when he was just getting his 1st chance as a starter. Give the kid a 5 step drop and a look or 2 and he will show us what he can do. it took Eli M. a couple of years.

Lazeye
01-22-2008, 08:34 PM
It is rare that a 3rd or 4th round corner would be NFL ready. With the quickly advancing age of Law and Surtain, I would guess any real solution would have to come via free agency, but drafting a 4th round or 5th round corner to prepare him for 2 years out, would be foresight beyond the expectation I'd have for Herm/Carl.

Likely top free agents at DB

Dre Bly---Denver...he's not Champ Bailey, and he's not really young, but he's way better than Law or Surtain...3 years younger than Law and 1 year younger than Surtain.

Randall Gay--NE...he's only 25, is on the upside, showed improvement this year. He'll likely get a good contract, but nothing like Nate Clements last year.

Drayton Florence--SD...he's still fairly young at 27, has had flashes of brilliance, but is generally somewhat pedestrian. He doesn't get burned bad often, but doesn't make a lot of huge plays. Better suited as a 2nd CB than the top guy.

BJ Sams-Baltimore- In addition to being an up and coming corner, he's one of the top 3-4 returners in the game. He's probably at best a nickle back though and at age 27 probably isn't going to get better.

Other guys of interest on the list are Eric Green (AZ), Charles Tillman (Chicago), Jason Webster (Northern New York), and Reynaldo Hill (Tennessee).
Maybe we go after a cb early like 2nd round. I watched a year full of aquib talib from KU as a corner and he was like an animal. I would die if we got that kid. they (ku) left him on the island all by himself a ton.

hermhater
01-22-2008, 08:44 PM
Maybe we go after a cb early like 2nd round. I watched a year full of aquib talib from KU as a corner and he was like an animal. I would die if we got that kid. they (ku) left him on the island all by himself a ton.

I would love to get Talib, but he will be gone by the second round and we need a OT in the first.

I guess this goes back to the old question O lineman or best available at the time.

Who knows what lurks in the mind of Herm.

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
01-22-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah brodie needs some more time to develop he was chasing his own @$$ this year trying not to get hit. So to me its O LINE BABY!! Lets just see how much say the new OC gets to have.:fatlock: :fatlock: :fatlock: :fatlock: :fatlock:

hermhater
01-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah brodie needs some more time to develop he was chasing his own @$$ this year trying not to get hit. So to me its O LINE BABY!! Lets just see how much say the new OC gets to have.:fatlock: :fatlock: :fatlock: :fatlock: :fatlock:

Hah!

A whole Offensive line of Fatlocks!!!!

:lol:

:sign0098:

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
01-22-2008, 11:14 PM
what is a fatlock?

hermhater
01-22-2008, 11:19 PM
what is a fatlock?

Jason Whitlock.

chief31
01-22-2008, 11:49 PM
what is a fatlock?

:fatlock: << This is our "Jason Whitlock" smilie. Whitlock is a journalist that is always negative about the Chiefs.

prough91
01-23-2008, 05:21 PM
:fatlock: << This is our "Jason Whitlock" smilie. Whitlock is a journalist that is always negative about the Chiefs.

Except in '98 when he said they would go undefeated. Remember that? He was serious too.

AkChief49
01-23-2008, 05:36 PM
o-line!!!! Jake Long, Jake Long,Jake Long,Jake Long- oh did I say Jake Long?!!!!!

hermhater
01-23-2008, 05:48 PM
o-line!!!! Jake Long, Jake Long,Jake Long,Jake Long- oh did I say Jake Long?!!!!!

What was that?

I didn't quite get it.

anaeelbackwards
01-23-2008, 05:52 PM
did someone just say jake long? :sign0104:

prough91
01-23-2008, 07:20 PM
I think we should take Jake Long.

hermhater
01-23-2008, 07:28 PM
I think we should take Jake Long.

I think we should take Jake Long too!:D

CHIEFS_FN_ROCK
01-23-2008, 10:09 PM
ty !!

texaschief
01-23-2008, 10:20 PM
so, besides our #5 pick, what else do we trade to get Jake Long? Cuz he won't be there at #5.

hermhater
01-23-2008, 10:40 PM
so, besides our #5 pick, what else do we trade to get Jake Long? Cuz he won't be there at #5.

Is he the only lineman worth drafting in the first round?

texaschief
01-24-2008, 12:25 AM

reading this thread, it seems so.

hermhater
01-24-2008, 12:31 AM
reading this thread, it seems so.

So back to the old question... O lineman in the first round, or best player available?

DrunkHillbilly
01-24-2008, 10:20 AM
So back to the old question... O lineman in the first round, or best player available?
IMO, if we can get Jake Long yes, if not, best player available and possibly look to trade him or the pick.

hermhater
01-24-2008, 01:20 PM
IMO, if we can get Jake Long yes, if not, best player available and possibly look to trade him or the pick.

If Al Davis gets a hold of Jake Long, what do you think it will take to get him from them?

DrunkHillbilly
01-24-2008, 02:33 PM
If Al Davis gets a hold of Jake Long, what do you think it will take to get him from them?
I'm not sure we would deal with the Raiders. We have a ton of picks and I'm not sure they have much of anything we want. If that happens, Carl may have to get the check book out and get some bodies off the FA list. I do have a feeling that there is a possibility that St. Louis could be in the game for Jake Long. Orlando Pace is out so.......

OTR Chiefs fan
01-26-2008, 03:30 PM
1st round definitely O-line! 2nd round CB. After that add depth to the team. :D

for ever red
01-26-2008, 09:17 PM
:bananen_smilies046: this will do for me then a Qback:D

chief31
01-27-2008, 04:51 AM

:bananen_smilies046: this will do for me then a Qback:D

Well, maybe with one of our many second day picks, but he have more than one O-line position to fill.

If Brian Waters does get moved to Center, then that leaves us needing two OGs, along with at least one OT, and then of course depth.

hermhater
01-27-2008, 04:55 AM
Well, maybe with one of our many second day picks, but he have more than one O-line position to fill.

If Brian Waters does get moved to Center, then that leaves us needing two OGs, along with at least one OT, and then of course depth.

Waters is moving to Center?

Might be good for team as he knows the others on the line, but will the line be the same next year?

chief31
01-27-2008, 05:03 AM

Might be good for team as he knows the others on the line, but will the line be the same next year?

All we can do is hope not. :D

Chiefster
01-28-2008, 02:06 AM

I sincerely hope not!

rbedgood
01-28-2008, 02:36 AM

No, Baker, Clady, Otah and possibly 2-3 others are plausible first round picks, but none are top 10 guys. The earliest pick after Long at OL, would probably be Baker from USC, who is probably a #12-#15 type pick.

chief31
01-28-2008, 04:03 AM

I doubt that I would like any trade-up scenario. I would much rather work our way down, and look at the next group of OT prospects.

But that would have to be a draft-day deal, because I wouldn't want to get rid of the no.5 overall pick, then watch J. Long fall.