PDA

View Full Version : Is Herm trying to help DT??

Canada
01-25-2008, 01:12 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/01/24/rand_a_second_take_on_thomas/

hermhater
01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
DT wouldn't have wanted to get in this way...

:mob:

Canada
01-25-2008, 02:03 PM
no, but i think it does show his dominance on the field and how much he affected the game!

hermhater
01-25-2008, 02:08 PM
no, but i think it does show his dominance on the field and how much he affected the game!

Definitely!

He was a beast that scared all those that oppose him!

KUBBALLFAN4LIFE
01-25-2008, 02:16 PM
DT wouldn't have wanted to get in this way...

:mob:

Just throwing out my two cents, but I believe once you are dead the only thing you would still care about is family and friends, any accomplishments or accolades would no longer matter to that person in this case DT.
I personally do not think DT cares whether he gets in the hall of fame or if the Chiefs organization as a unit comes out and says he was the worse player ever to wear the Cheifs uniform.
However, since I am still here, I would like to see him get in.

Canada
01-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Just throwing out my two cents, but I believe once you are dead the only thing you would still care about is family and friends, any accomplishments or accolades would no longer matter to that person in this case DT.
I personally do not think DT cares whether he gets in the hall of fame or if the Chiefs organization as a unit comes out and says he was the worse player ever to wear the Cheifs uniform.
However, since I am still here, I would like to see him get in.

None of it matters to him now I am sure but, he still deserves it and I am sure that how he is remembered in Kansas City would mean a lot to him.

hermhater
01-25-2008, 08:54 PM
None of it matters to him now I am sure but, he still deserves it and I am sure that how he is remembered in Kansas City would mean a lot to him.

And it's gonna mean a lot to his fans!

:11:

Chiefster
01-26-2008, 03:52 AM
And it's gonna mean a lot to his fans!

:11:

Ditto!

chief31
01-26-2008, 04:22 AM
Here is the article that the link takes you to...

RAND: A second take on Thomas

Jan 24, 2008, 6:13:23 AM by Jonathan Rand (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/jonathan_rand/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/20/jonathan_rand_faq/)

Derrick Thomas will posthumously take his fourth crack at election to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on February 2, and there is one bittersweet development that might strengthen his candidacy. The harder the Chiefs fall, the more his stature rises.

Voters typically consider a candidate’s statistics, playoff victories, Super Bowl rings, Pro Bowl berths, historical significance and impact. Any candidate who fits all, or nearly all, these criteria is a first-ballot sure thing. Any candidate who satisfies only some of these criteria probably takes a seat on the bubble, which is where Thomas has been thus far.

His most impressive credentials are 126.5 career sacks, 45 forced fumbles, nine straight Pro Bowls and a knack for making game-changing plays. Thomas’ timely sacks, which he often topped off with a strip, made coach Marty Schottenheimer fond of saying, “Derrick Thomas wins games.”

Yet, perhaps it is time to revisit Thomas’s impact upon the Chiefs in light of their 4-12 finish. That brought an unpleasant reminder of the 4-11-1 record in 1988 that prompted an organizational overhaul and gave the Chiefs the fourth pick of the 1989 draft. With the initial pick of the Schottenheimer-Carl Peterson era, the Chiefs drafted Thomas. He was a “can’t-miss” prospect from Alabama who quickly became a dominating outside linebacker.

In just his second season, Thomas totaled 20 sacks, including a league single-game record of seven against the Seattle Seahawks. That season began a stretch of regular playoff visits.

During 11 regular seasons with Thomas, the Chiefs stood 110-65-1, a .628 winning percentage. They made the playoffs seven times and had one losing season. During the eight regular seasons since his death, they stand 64-64, a .500 percentage. They have made the playoffs twice and had four losing seasons.

Before Thomas arrived, the Chiefs had one playoff appearance over 17 seasons. Overall, the Chiefs without Thomas — since the glory days ended — have had three playoff berths in 25 years. This suggests he made an almost-unfathomable impact most times he stepped on the field.

Admittedly, the Chiefs’ playoff success of the 1990s was not achieved by one individual. Schottenheimer and Peterson rebuilt the team. The defense also was fortified by Neil Smith, a Pro Bowl defensive end inherited from the 1988 draft. Offensive stars Joe Montana and Marcus Allen were acquired to finish their Hall of Fame careers here. Yet, during the eight seasons that Thomas and Smith played together, they were the two best players on the roster.

The Chiefs rode the back of their defense throughout the 1990s, and Thomas was the undisputed leader of that defense. While I never felt that I underestimated the man’s substantial impact, the current state of the Chiefs makes me think that maybe I have.

Thomas’ impact becomes an important issue because the other three pass rushers on the Hall of Fame ballot – ends Richard Dent and Fred Dean and linebacker Andre Tippett – each played in at least one Super Bowl. And having four players with the same specialty presents the obvious problem of substantial support for all compromising the chances of any one getting elected.

Thomas never helped bring home a Lombardi Trophy. But the more you think about where the Chiefs have been, before and after his sack-happy days, the more hard pressed you become to identify players who ever made more of an impact on one franchise.

It does shed some light on D.T.s impact on the game.

Canada
01-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanx...I don't know how to post the whole article.

for ever red
01-26-2008, 09:00 PM
He damn sure was a gamer.