PDA

View Full Version : Raiders "fire" Kiffin

texaschief
01-25-2008, 04:57 PM
By Chris Mortenson

Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis has been pushing for coach Lane Kiffin to resign and is considering Dennis Green as a potential replacement, sources close to Kiffin and the team said.

Davis has gone so far as to draft a letter of resignation for Kiffin to sign, a source said. Kiffin has refused to do so but has dared Davis to fire him instead. The letter, the source said, was sent to Kiffin two weeks ago.

Kiffin, who was 4-12 in his first season as coach, has two years remaining on his contract at an estimated $2 million per year.

In the letter sent to Kiffin's legal representatives, Davis stated that only he would have control over his staff and full personnel decisions, sources said. According to a source close to Kiffin, Davis had promised Kiffin when he hired him that he would have more control over staff and personnel matters than recent Raiders coaches. Kiffin was allowed five offensive assistants and to name his own staff when he took the job after the 2006 season.

"I'm not going to comment on anything that has transpired in the past three weeks," Kiffin said from Mobile, Ala., where he and the Raiders staff are coaching the North team in the Under Armour Senior Bowl college all-star game.

The Raiders had no immediate comment.

Kiffn and Davis clashed near the conclusion of their postseason evaluation meetings when Kiffin expressed his desire to fire defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, a source said. Ryan wanted out to join the New York Jets in a similar capacity, but the Raiders released a statement asking for speculation to cease about the defensive coordinator's future.

Just this week at the Senior Bowl, Kiffin and Ryan said their relationship was fine and expected to be coaching the team in 2008. But Davis has not rescinded his request for Kiffin to step down, a source said.

As for Green's candidacy, while team sources said Davis has reached out to the veteran coach, Green said Friday, "I haven't really talked to Al about any coaching job but, really, how many times has my name been mentioned every time something goes on with the Raiders?"

The Raiders will interview James Lofton on Monday for a job, a source said. The Raiders are looking for a wide receivers coach and Lofton was recently fired as San Diego's receivers coach. However, Lofton has interviewed in the past to be head coach of the Raiders.

texaschief
01-25-2008, 04:59 PM
I think some of the Chiefs fans on this board would prefer Al Davis as the Owner/GM of Chiefs....a new coach every other year for the Raiders has done WONDERS for them!!

nigeriannightmare
01-25-2008, 05:10 PM
I think some of the Chiefs fans on this board would prefer Al Davis as the Owner/GM of Chiefs....a new coach every other year for the Raiders has done WONDERS for them!!

I am pretty sure even Raiders fans don't like Al Davis, when in the bay area ask about Mount Davis at the Colliseum and see the response you get.

DrunkHillbilly
01-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I don't actually believe he has been fired has he?

texaschief
01-25-2008, 05:25 PM
I don't actually believe he has been fired has he?

Davis slapped a resignation form on his desk and told him to sign it......i'm sure it'll happen here pretty soon.

DrunkHillbilly
01-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Davis slapped a resignation form on his desk and told him to sign it......i'm sure it'll happen here pretty soon.
The article says he sent it to his lawyer and Kiffen refused to sign it. If I were Kiffen, I would make him fire me so I would still get my $4 million and tell Davis to get F*%#$D!!!!!!!

I still can't believe we were so close to drafting in front of this pathetic organization!!! We better get our stuff together that's for sure!!

texaschief
01-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Espn just said a "familiar name", Dennis Green has surfaced as a possible replacement.....

DrunkHillbilly
01-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Espn just said a "familiar name", Dennis Green has surfaced as a possible replacement.....
Yea, Green is a good talent evaluator but I'm not sure Davis will give him enough control to turn things around. Green had the Cardinals goin in the right direction but the Bidwill's weren't willing to give him another year to try and work things out. I hope he doesn't get the job because I think he would make them a better team.

hermhater
01-25-2008, 06:14 PM

I want Herm and Carl gone, but not if it means Davis here.

I don't know anything about Kiffin but he couldn't be more of a moron than Herm is.

chief31
01-26-2008, 05:45 AM

Exaggerate much? Just because most of don't like Herm Edwards does, in no way, mean that we want a new coach every year.

Those of us who didn't like the Herm hiring to begin with, still don't like it.

spiman
01-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Not going to happen-We can wish all year long\***** all year long buttt..Be carefull what you wish for guys-Then again we cannot do any worse can we? Yep-:crucified:
I want Herm and Carl gone, but not if it means Davis here.

I don't know anything about Kiffin but he couldn't be more of a moron than Herm is.

hermhater
01-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Not going to happen-We can wish all year long***** all year long buttt..Be carefull what you wish for guys-Then again we cannot do any worse can we? Yep-:crucified:

I know it guy, but I can still ***** about it!

I will still root for the Chiefs every single game next year and hope Herm and Carl do something in the draft!

OTR Chiefs fan
01-26-2008, 06:01 PM
I thought Kiffin didn't do a bad job considering what he had to work with. Al Davis is so out of touch with what is going on in the NFL. He's looking to wave a magic wand and all of a sudden the Raiders woes disappear! :lol: What he doesn't realize is that he's the real problem with the Raiders. So, Chief fans be glad Al continues to stir up the muck in Fader Nation! :yahoo:

hermhater
01-26-2008, 06:09 PM
I thought Kiffin didn't do a bad job considering what he had to work with. Al Davis is so out of touch with what is going on in the NFL. He's looking to wave a magic wand and all of a sudden the Raiders woes disappear! :lol: What he doesn't realize is that he's the real problem with the Raiders. So, Chief fans be glad Al continues to stir up the muck in Fader Nation! :yahoo:

We're all happy about Al screwing things up in Oakland!

:bananen_smilies046:

AkChief49
01-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Al's "Commitment to Exellence" has taken on a whole new meaning....Excellence is the name of a sanitarium, or should be!

Coach
01-26-2008, 09:54 PM
The article says he sent it to his lawyer and Kiffen refused to sign it. If I were Kiffen, I would make him fire me so I would still get my $4 million and tell Davis to get F*%#!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more. They didn't even give Kiffen a chance. Bad decision by the raiders if it happens, but good for us Chiefs fans.

OTR Chiefs fan
01-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Al's "Commitment to Exellence" has taken on a whole new meaning....Excellence is the name of a sanitarium, or should be!

:funnypost::lol: Well said!

tornadospotter
01-26-2008, 10:36 PM
:anim-magicman:

We're all happy about Al screwing things up in Oakland!

:bananen_smilies046:
:fan_wave2:

:character0074: :character00264:

Couldn't agree more. They didn't even give Kiffen a chance. Bad decision by the raiders if it happens, but good for us Chiefs fans.
:bananen_smilies046:Al is so almost sad, he needs to let go, and but I hope he doesn't. :D

OTR Chiefs fan
01-27-2008, 02:34 PM
We should start a petition to keep Al permanently instilled as the Raider's owner. Even after he kicks the bucket! :sign0153: They could just prop him up in his office, put some sunglasses on him like on "Weekend at Bernie's" . Then they could have a big wheel called "Al's decision wheel" and anytime an organizational decision needs to be made they could spin the big wheel to see what Al decides to do! :lol: It'd be perfect! :D

Canada
01-27-2008, 02:39 PM
We should start a petition to keep Al permanently instilled as the Raider's owner. Even after he kicks the bucket! :sign0153: They could just prop him up in his office, put some sunglasses on him like on "Weekend at Bernie's" . Then they could have a big wheel called "Al's decision wheel" and anytime an organizational decision needs to be made they could spin the big wheel to see what Al decides to do! :lol: It'd be perfect! :D

Isn't that what they do now??

chief31
01-27-2008, 02:43 PM

Alas, I believe that the wheel would make better decisions.

hermhater
01-27-2008, 02:48 PM

Heh!

Yep!

texaschief
01-27-2008, 03:46 PM
here ya go HH, now you can truly become a Raider fan. Maybe Al Davis can win you over with this move...

John Clayton of ESPN reports that former Redskins assistant head coach-offense Al Saunders will interview with the Raiders.

The position for which Saunders will interview is unknown. The Raiders have an offensive coordinator in Greg Knapp. Then again, the Redskins had one, too, when Saunders was hired. And still had one thereafter.

The Rams also are interested in Saunders, who reportedly can have the offensive coordinator position there, if he wants it.

Meanwhile, Kiffin said on Saturday that he hopes to still be the Raiders head coach in 2008. If reports that he has been asked to resign are true, we would advise against betting anything of value on it.

Guru
01-27-2008, 04:02 PM

No fan in their right mind would EVER want this idiot running their team. He is by far the WORST owner in sports.

Now, let's talk Jerry Jones.

Guru
01-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Exaggerate much? Just because most of don't like Herm Edwards does, in no way, mean that we want a new coach every year.

Those of us who didn't like the Herm hiring to begin with, still don't like it.

AMEN BROTHAH!!!!!

texaschief
01-27-2008, 04:05 PM
No fan in their right mind would EVER want this idiot running their team. He is by far the WORST owner in sports.

i think Davis, Jones and the Clippers owner are all fighting for this title....and the Pirates owner too

Guru
01-27-2008, 04:06 PM

I would take Kiffen in a heartbeat over Edwards. A young fresh mind like Gruden would be a nice change here.

Guru
01-27-2008, 04:07 PM
i think Davis, Jones and the Clippers owner are all fighting for this title....and the Pirates owner too

Dallas has been competitive under Jones for years. How does that make him the worst owner? They may not be what they were in the 90's but they are in the playoffs year in and year out.

Canada
01-27-2008, 04:14 PM
Dallas has been competitive under Jones for years. How does that make him the worst owner? They may not be what they were in the 90's but they are in the playoffs year in and year out.

Yeah, but they haven't won one in 11 years. (not that I think Jones is that bad)

texaschief
01-27-2008, 04:15 PM

The ONLY reason the Cowboys were good in the 90s is because Jimmy Johnson built that team when he had full control. As long as Jones has a say in personel decisions, they are going to be awful. He kinda let up on personel control while Tuna was there and look where they are now.

Jones needs to hire a GM and step away.

rbedgood
01-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Ummm...worst owner in sports...not sure he even gets the worst owner in the NFL title.

Worst in the NFL...how about Daniel Snyder? Mike Brown? John York? Oh...and don't forget the Bidwells!!!

Worst in sports...add to the list the Selig Family Trust, Stuart Sternberg (Tampa Bay D-Rays), Peter Angelos, Donald Sterling, William Clay Ford, and for histories sake Paul Loria (Expos)...

Most if not all of these owners/groups would beat out Al "Where's my Walker" Davis.

texaschief
01-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Ummm...worst owner in sports...not sure he even gets the worst owner in the NFL title.

Worst in the NFL...how about Daniel Snyder? Mike Brown? John York? Oh...and don't forget the Bidwells!!!

Worst in sports...add to the list the Selig Family Trust, Stuart Sternberg (Tampa Bay D-Rays), Peter Angelos, Donald Sterling, William Clay Ford, and for histories sake Paul Loria (Expos)...

Most if not all of these owners/groups would beat out Al "Where's my Walker" Davis.

I don't know...those are all awful to be sure, but i'd throw the Raiders in that category

rbedgood
01-27-2008, 04:23 PM
I don't know...those are all awful to be sure, but i'd throw the Raiders in that category

Al Davis hasn't done much lately, but just to show an easy argument for worse than Al, John York took a perrennial playoff team (the 49ers) and turned them into a laughingstock. He refuses to spend money on quality coaches, scouts or front office people. Continually goes with the inexperienced people that he can pay less, and although some work out (Singletary), most haven't. Nolan may someday be a great coach, but there were many better options on the market when he was hired, but Nolan was much cheaper as it was his first head coaching position.