PDA

View Full Version : ..So now what...?

jerhart
02-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Hey guys,
So we were all hyped up about our new O. Coaches. But now that we got out new coaches figured out, what is next?

When will we start to see changed in the roster? I am not familiar with the timeline of free agency and all that crap...when will we start to cut people and pick guys up? Just Feels like not much has been going on in the past week... :drunkhb:

hermhater
02-03-2008, 11:48 AM
The Super Bowl trumps all NFL news this time of year!

I'm still holding out hope the Chiefs can pull out a win somehow!

:yahoo:

chief31
02-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Hey guys,
So we were all hyped up about our new O. Coaches. But now that we got out new coaches figured out, what is next?

When will we start to see changed in the roster? I am not familiar with the timeline of free agency and all that crap...when will we start to cut people and pick guys up? Just Feels like not much has been going on in the past week... :drunkhb:

I amnot certain when the free agency period begins. I will try to find out.

chief31
02-03-2008, 12:46 PM
And I'd like to add a couple of potential free agents that draw some interest.

OG Ruben Brown (Chicago Bears) and OG Jason Fabini (Washington Redskins.

Either of these guys could fill a void on our O-line, and may come at a discount, considering that there are bigger names on the market.

jerhart
02-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Either of these guys could fill a void on our O-line, and may come at a discount, considering that there are bigger names on the market.

What year are they?

chief31
02-03-2008, 12:54 PM
What year are they?

Neither is young. Fabini will be 34 by the start of the season, and Brown will be 36. But either of them could delay the need for a starter, for a year or two, and help to educate a young backup to be a starter.

Pro_Angler
02-03-2008, 03:25 PM
we don't need free agents we need young players to build the team. We have nothing but free agents now and look at out line.

chief31
02-03-2008, 09:07 PM
we don't need free agents we need young players to build the team. We have nothing but free agents now and look at out line.

So you are willing to leave the starting positions to a few long-shots and guys who have been unable to crack into our starting lineup, despite the low level of talent above them?

Even if you decide to sink or swim with a fourth/fifth round pick starting, how about some depth? And when do you start complaining about having a terrible O-line... again?

Our O-line is so depleted, that without three first round picks, we are highly unlikely to draft three immediate starters.

But aside from the three starting spots that I feel need to be filled, we could also use some older freeagents to at least back up the starters.

Chiefster
02-03-2008, 11:50 PM
Hey guys,

When we get rid of Carl and Herm.

tammietailgator
02-03-2008, 11:57 PM
They know whats up, well maybe not Herm - but carl knows whats up with his job!

chief31
02-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Hey guys,

Well, it appears that the end of this month will start the free-agency period. I'm not positive of the exact time/day, but I believe that it is on March 1st.

hermhater
02-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Free Agency means Ocho-Cinco...

I can just see Carl doing some crappy thing like that to boost attendance, and then having him throw a fit when he never gets the ball because Brodie is lying on his back!

Canada
02-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Free Agency means Ocho-Cinco...

I can just see Carl doing some crappy thing like that to boost attendance, and then having him throw a fit when he never gets the ball because Brodie is lying on his back!

We should think up a funny nickname for Chad....any ideas??

hermhater
02-09-2008, 01:22 PM
We should think up a funny nickname for Chad....any ideas??

Funnier than Ocho-Cinco?

He needs to take a Spanish 101 class!

:lol:

chiefnationrepresentarmy
02-09-2008, 01:30 PM
here is a link that lists all the free agents in the nfl 2008

http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&yr=2008

there is plenty of talent out there we could use

hermhater
02-09-2008, 01:34 PM
here is a link that lists all the free agents in the nfl 2008

http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=9&c=12&nid=83&lnid=83&yr=2008

there is plenty of talent out there we could use

I counted 8 O linemen in that list, and want to get Lilja back in KC!

chief31
02-09-2008, 02:01 PM
I counted 8 O linemen in that list, and want to get Lilja back in KC!

I'm not sure that I trust Lilja. I think the system and Peyton have made the offensive linemen look good. And that system revolves around the passing game, whereas he would have to become a dominant run-blocker under Herm.

hermhater
02-09-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure that I trust Lilja. I think the system and Peyton have made the offensive linemen look good. And that system revolves around the passing game, whereas he would have to become a dominant run-blocker under Herm.

Good point.

I keep dreaming of the offense I want, and that which Herm is trying to stuff down my throat.

Coach
02-10-2008, 10:38 PM
So you are willing to leave the starting positions to a few long-shots and guys who have been unable to crack into our starting lineup, despite the low level of talent above them?

Even if you decide to sink or swim with a fourth/fifth round pick starting, how about some depth? And when do you start complaining about having a terrible O-line... again?

Our O-line is so depleted, that without three first round picks, we are highly unlikely to draft three immediate starters.

But aside from the three starting spots that I feel need to be filled, we could also use some older freeagents to at least back up the starters.

This team needs some depth at O-line as well. Injuries happen. As it stands now, most of our o-line would be decent backups at best.

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 12:23 AM
This team needs some depth at O-line as well. Injuries happen. As it stands now, most of our o-line would be decent backups at best.

At the very best; the o-line must be addressed in the off season.

texaschief
02-12-2008, 12:33 AM

you won't see a single free agent O-lineman brought in OVER 30. These guys have said they're trying to get young and recent burns in free agency on the line has this staff committed to rebuilding the line in the draft and free agency with young players.

IMO

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 12:34 AM
you won't see a single free agent O-lineman brought in under 30. These guys have said they're trying to get young and recent burns in free agency on the line has this staff committed to rebuilding the line in the draft and free agency with young players.

IMO

Agreed.

hermhater
02-12-2008, 12:38 AM
you won't see a single free agent O-lineman brought in OVER 30. These guys have said they're trying to get young and recent burns in free agency on the line has this staff committed to rebuilding the line in the draft and free agency with young players.

IMO

In one thread you state Herm can't stick to his statement about Brodie being the future, and now you say we should listen to his statement about making the team young?

Well should we be listening to Herm's statements or not?

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 12:46 AM
In one thread you state Herm can't stick to his statement about Brodie being the future, and now you say we should listen to his statement about making the team young?

Absolutely maybe. :D

hermhater
02-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Absolutely maybe. :D

What exactly are you mods here for, again?

:D

texaschief
02-12-2008, 12:49 AM

Do you really think there is a starting job in the NFL that is just given to a player? Each starter EARNED their spot, whether in college to be drafted high or in camp where he took a postion away or in a game due to an injury to the incumbant and solid play to the new starter.

Brodie Croyle has done none of these. He didn't win the job last year in camp. He wasn't a solid performer when Huard went down and he wasn't a high draft pick.

I follow the Texas Rangers in baseball. There is a big controversy as to who was going to be the starting catcher. A couple months ago they said Jarrod Saltalammachia (big prospect) was going to be the starter and Gerald Laird (incumbant) was going to be the backup or be traded. Now, they're saying Salty is still going to have to earn the job in camp.

The Chiefs aren't the only professional sports team to name a favorite for the position going into offseason and camp.

But do you honestly think that if the guy is out performed in camp that they are going to start Croyle in September just because they said he was going to be the starter in December?

Don't be ignorant about this. You know how pro sports work.

:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 12:50 AM
What exactly are you mods here for, again?

:D

So that you will ask what we're here for. :D

hermhater
02-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Do you really think there is a starting job in the NFL that is just given to a player? Each starter EARNED their spot, whether in college to be drafted high or in camp where he took a postion away or in a game due to an injury to the incumbant and solid play to the new starter.

Brodie Croyle has done none of these. He didn't win the job last year in camp. He wasn't a solid performer when Huard went down and he wasn't a high draft pick.

I follow the Texas Rangers in baseball. There is a big controversy as to who was going to be the starting catcher. A couple months ago they said Jarrod Saltalammachia (big prospect) was going to be the starter and Gerald Laird (incumbant) was going to be the backup or be traded. Now, they're saying Salty is still going to have to earn the job in camp.

The Chiefs aren't the only professional sports team to name a favorite for the position going into offseason and camp.

But do you honestly think that if the guy is out performed in camp that they are going to start Croyle in September just because they said he was going to be the starter in December?

Don't be ignorant about this. You know how pro sports work.

I know guy, just giving you some crap!

I have to say though I don't believe sh!t these guys in management are telling me anymore!

chief31
02-12-2008, 09:18 AM

IMO

Awefully trusting of what the team says, for someone who just showed us why you don't trust what a team says. :D

You could be right, but as decimated as our O-line is, they will have to look at some free agents. And it would be foolish of them to rule-out players for being over thirty. You still want to have as much talent as you can get.

We have some needs that an experienced NFL starter could fill very nicely, for a year or two. And considering the number of available spots that we have, it is unlikely that we use the draft to meet all of them.

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 09:38 AM
Awefully trusting of what the team says, for someone who just showed us why you don't trust what a team says. :D

You could be right, but as decimated as our O-line is, they will have to look at some free agents. And it would be foolish of them to rule-out players for being over thirty. You still want to have as much talent as you can get.

We have some needs that an experienced NFL starter could fill very nicely, for a year or two. And considering the number of available spots that we have, it is unlikely that we use the draft to meet all of them.

Agreed; simply not possible.

hermhater
02-13-2008, 04:21 AM

I forgot who I was quoting so you get this!

:sign0104: