PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs "cut list"

texaschief
02-11-2008, 10:55 PM
After seeing the Dolphins clean house, i thought it would be a fun discussion to see who thinks which players should be cut this up coming season.

Here are a few i think we'll see gone:

Eddie Drummond
Jason Dunn
Jon McGraw
Benny Sapp
Casey Wiegman (obviously)
Kris Wilson
Priest Holmes (obviously)
Kyle Turley (obviously)

Ok, now here's a couple i'd love to see gone:

Pat Surtain
Ty Law
John Carney
Kendrell Bell
Greg Wesley
Damon Huard
Eddie Kennison...(only if Webb or Parker steps up)

Chiefster
02-11-2008, 11:19 PM
You forgot Herm Edwards.

Guru
02-11-2008, 11:30 PM
And Carl.

Chiefster
02-11-2008, 11:33 PM
And Carl.

Oooops, forgot about him.

hermhater
02-11-2008, 11:42 PM
After seeing the Dolphins clean house, i thought it would be a fun discussion to see who thinks which players should be cut this up coming season.

Eddie Drummond
Jason Dunn
Jon McGraw
Benny Sapp
Kris Wilson
Kyle Turley (obviously)

Pat Surtain
Ty Law
John Carney
Kendrell Bell
Greg Wesley
Damon Huard

I hope we don't lose Dunn he is a hell of a blocker.

Chiefster
02-11-2008, 11:49 PM
I hope we don't lose Dunn he is a hell of a blocker.

...When he's healthy.

hermhater
02-11-2008, 11:50 PM
...When he's healthy.

Was he hurt most of this year?

Guru
02-12-2008, 12:05 AM
Oooops, forgot about him.
:sign0153:You sir are not a real fan then.

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 12:06 AM

...Incorrect, I just work really hard at blocking him out of my mind. :D

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Was he hurt most of this year?

Back problems.

hermhater
02-12-2008, 12:08 AM

...Incorrect, I just work really hard at blocking him out of my mind. :D

Carl is kind of like that hemorrhoid you just learn to live with.

:mob:

hermhater
02-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Is this what you were referring to texaschief?

If you are reading this info then please post it to the site ASAP!

:11: :D

Dolphins cut QB Green; eight others

Davie, FL (Sports Network) - The Miami Dolphins terminated the contract of veteran quarterback Trent Green Monday.

The Dolphins acquired Green from the Kansas City Chiefs before the 2007 season in exchange for a draft pick based on the two-time Pro Bowl quarterback's playing time in 2007.

But, Green suffered a Grade 3 concussion on October 7 against the Houston Texans and was placed on injured reserve. It was the second serious head injury in as many seasons for Green, who suffered a severe concussion in the 2006 season opener with the Chiefs, a hit that kept him on the sideline for half of that season.

Other notable cuts by the Dolphins on Monday included a trio of veterans, wide receiver Marty Booker, offensive tackle L.J. Shelton and defensive tackle Keith Traylor. All saw significant playing time for Miami in 2007 as the Dolphins struggled to a franchise-worst 1-15 record.

Miami also waived offensive tackles Anthony Alabi, Marion Dukes and Joe Toledo along with defensive tackles Anthony Bryant and Marquay Love.

"This is never easy, especially since all of these players worked hard during their tenure here," Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said. "In particular, in the case of each of the veterans, it's especially difficult to release players who have been productive and valued members of the organization. However, we feel these decisions are in the best interest of the team.

"I want to thank all of them for their contributions to the Dolphins and wish them good luck."

02/11 15:40:54 ET

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/nfl/news/ABN4129872.htm

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 12:59 AM
I hope for Green's own sake that he retires.

hermhater
02-12-2008, 01:02 AM
I hope for Green's own sake that he retires.

Agreed!

He wants a ring bad, and I wish he could have gotten it with us, but it's time to move on...

texaschief
02-12-2008, 01:02 AM
Is this what you were referring to texaschief?

If you are reading this info then please post it to the site ASAP!

:11: :D

for real guys, my bad. i thought all this stuff was already common knowledge. it's all over ESPN. i hate being redundant.

texaschief
02-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Agreed!

He wants a ring bad, and I wish he could have gotten it with us, but it's time to move on...

umm, i'm pretty sure he got one with the Rams...right?

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 01:04 AM
umm, i'm pretty sure he got one with the Rams...right?

But not as an active player.

texaschief
02-12-2008, 01:07 AM
"let's see....ring.....vegetable......ring.....vegetable. ....hmm"

what a selfish ***. he needs to start thinkin about his family at some point.

YZILLA
02-12-2008, 01:07 AM
I have heard/read that these players will be on the list :

Offense:

1.wellbourne
2.terry
3.turley(retire)
4.Dunn
5.Wilson
6.parker
7.Kennisen
8.weigmann

Defense:

1. Ty Law
2. P. Surtan
3. Wesley
4. Harris
5. Bell
6. Fox

But Drummond should be on the very top of the list ! he did absolutely nothing for us last season.

hermhater
02-12-2008, 01:11 AM
"let's see....ring.....vegetable......ring.....vegetable. ....hmm"

what a selfish ***. he needs to start thinkin about his family at some point.

Two reps in one night...

What has come over you texaschief?

Offense:

1.wellbourne
2.terry
3.turley(retire)
4.Dunn
5.Wilson
6.parker
7.Kennisen
8.weigmann

Defense:

1. Ty Law
2. P. Surtan
3. Wesley
4. Harris
5. Bell
6. Fox

But Drummond should be on the very top of the list ! he did absolutely nothing for us last season.

I absolutely cannot imagine Drummond being here next year.

Guru
02-12-2008, 01:13 AM
I absolutely cannot imagine Drummond being here next year.

Which is exactly why he will be.

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 01:34 AM

Heh! Yep.

hermhater
02-12-2008, 02:12 AM

Are you agreeing with me, or saying Herm is incompetent?

Then again didn't we give Drummond a pretty nice salary?

Crap.

texaschief
02-12-2008, 02:15 AM
relax....Drummond will be gone.

hermhater
02-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Are you agreeing with me, or saying Herm is incompetent?

Then again didn't we give Drummond a pretty nice salary?

Crap.

relax....Drummond will be gone.

Either choice is the same.

Herm is incompetent.

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 02:27 AM
Either choice is the same.

Herm is incompetent.

Why yes, yes he is.

chief31
02-12-2008, 02:35 AM

Eddie Drummond
Jason Dunn
Jon McGraw
Benny Sapp
Kris Wilson
Kyle Turley (obviously)

Pat Surtain
Ty Law
John Carney
Kendrell Bell
Greg Wesley
Damon Huard

Mcgraw looked real good last preseason. Haven't seen anything else from him though.

Sapp can go, but if Surtain and Law both go, then all of a sudden O-line may be our second biggest need.

I still like Wilson. They chose to throw to him behind the LOS and covered alot, but he does catch the ball, and is a decent blocker.

Huard can go, but I feel we need some veteran on the roster, and why not keep the guy who knows what we have been doing the past several years? And I still think he can play the position. Noone else was going to play well behind our '07 O-line either.

Offense:

1.wellbourne
2.terry
3.turley(retire)
4.Dunn
5.Wilson
6.parker
7.Kennisen
8.weigmann

Defense:

1. Ty Law
2. P. Surtan
3. Wesley
4. Harris
5. Bell
6. Fox

Welburne probably needs to stay for depth. I think he sucks, but we are already paper-thin for depth.

And is that Napoleon Harris? No. It can't be. There is another Harris there isn't there?

hermhater
02-12-2008, 02:43 AM
And is that Napoleon Harris? No. It can't be. There is another Harris there isn't there?

I heard he wasn't as effective in the second half of the season and they were thinking of axing him.

That would suck.

texaschief
02-12-2008, 02:46 AM
Mcgraw looked real good last preseason. Haven't seen anything else from him though.

Sapp can go, but if Surtain and Law both go, then all of a sudden O-line may be our second biggest need.

I still like Wilson. They chose to throw to him behind the LOS and covered alot, but he does catch the ball, and is a decent blocker.

Huard can go, but I feel we need some veteran on the roster, and why not keep the guy who knows what we have been doing the past several years? And I still think he can play the position. Noone else was going to play well behind our '07 O-line either.

I think we could draft a CB in the 2nd round and try Brackenridge at the other spot or possibly a later draft pick to platoon with him.

We don't need Huard. We have a QB coach to teach. That's his job.

I too still like Wilson, but i think he's going to be viewed as expendable...probably Grigsby too.

texaschief
02-12-2008, 02:49 AM
I heard he wasn't as effective in the second half of the season and they were thinking of axing him.

That would suck.

...and replace him with who? another draft pick? production would still be down till he got his feet wet. Harris will be going into his 7th year. He's only like 4 years older than Derrick Johnson. I'd keep him until AT LEAST till the end of next year where we could use THAT draft on players like MLB.

I just don't think THIS is the draft to worry about that position.

hermhater
02-12-2008, 02:56 AM
...and replace him with who? another draft pick? production would still be down till he got his feet wet. Harris will be going into his 7th year. He's only like 4 years older than Derrick Johnson. I'd keep him until AT LEAST till the end of next year where we could use THAT draft on players like MLB.

I just don't think THIS is the draft to worry about that position.

So you're agreeing with me then?

We should keep Harris?

texaschief
02-12-2008, 03:02 AM
So you're agreeing with me then?

We should keep Harris?

ABSOLUTELY!!! I was ecstatic when we signed him last year and i thought he did much, MUCH better than Mitchell ever did or could've done in this system.

hermhater
02-12-2008, 03:07 AM
ABSOLUTELY!!! I was ecstatic when we signed him last year and i thought he did much, MUCH better than Mitchell ever did or could've done in this system.

Good.

I was getting worried I gave you rep for nothing!

:bananen_smilies046:

chief31
02-12-2008, 05:56 AM
I think we could draft a CB in the 2nd round and try Brackenridge at the other spot or possibly a later draft pick to platoon with him.

We don't need Huard. We have a QB coach to teach. That's his job.

I too still like Wilson, but i think he's going to be viewed as expendable...probably Grigsby too.

We have Dick Curl. So I think we do need a veteran QB on the roster. Plus, I think it is just wise to keep one around.

Brackenridge might work, but then, if he doesn't, then what? I don't have a big problem with either of our current CBs. Many people seem to, but I don't think that we can afford to try and replace them both. Whoever steps up, like Brackenridge, then needs their backup spot to be filled as well. As thin as the O-line is, I don't think that we could fill needs that deep on both sides of the ball.

Chiefster
02-12-2008, 09:34 AM
We have Dick Curl. So I think we do need a veteran QB on the roster. Plus, I think it is just wise to keep one around.

Brackenridge might work, but then, if he doesn't, then what? I don't have a big problem with either of our current CBs. Many people seem to, but I don't think that we can afford to try and replace them both. Whoever steps up, like Brackenridge, then needs their backup spot to be filled as well. As thin as the O-line is, I don't think that we could fill needs that deep on both sides of the ball.

Agreed; good point.

hermhater
02-13-2008, 04:27 AM
Agreed; good point.

You'd agree to buying the Brooklyn Bridge!

:lol:

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/02/58.jpg

Chiefster
02-13-2008, 04:45 PM
You'd agree to buying the Brooklyn Bridge!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/02/58.jpg

Heh.

hermhater
02-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Heh.

Meh.

texaschief
02-15-2008, 06:30 PM
So far, Welbourne and now....

A league source tells us that the Kansas City Chiefs soon will be releasing veteran cornerback Ty Law.

Law, 33, was cut by the Patriots in February 2005. He played for the Jets that year, and then signed with the Chiefs in 2006.

Signed through 2010, Law is due to earn a base salary of $6.5 million in the coming season.

-Pro Football Talk

hermhater
02-15-2008, 06:58 PM
So far, Welbourne and now....

A league source tells us that the Kansas City Chiefs soon will be releasing veteran cornerback Ty Law.

Law, 33, was cut by the Patriots in February 2005. He played for the Jets that year, and then signed with the Chiefs in 2006.

Signed through 2010, Law is due to earn a base salary of $6.5 million in the coming season.

-Pro Football Talk

That right there calls for a beer!

:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
02-16-2008, 01:23 PM
OK! I'm in...why are we drinkin beer...forget it, who cares...gimme the beer!! :beer:

OTR Chiefs fan
02-16-2008, 07:36 PM

Eddie Drummond
Jason Dunn
Jon McGraw
Benny Sapp
Kris Wilson
Kyle Turley (obviously)

Pat Surtain
Ty Law
John Carney
Kendrell Bell
Greg Wesley
Damon Huard

I agree with all except Surtain and Huard. Surtain can still produce on defense. Moving to a nickel spot might be ideal and then get CB in the draft. Huard is still a good back up, just not a starter. :D

hermhater
02-17-2008, 01:45 PM
OK! I'm in...why are we drinkin beer...forget it, who cares...gimme the beer!! :beer:

Here ya go! :bananen_smilies046:

I agree with all except Surtain and Huard. Surtain can still produce on defense. Moving to a nickel spot might be ideal and then get CB in the draft. Huard is still a good back up, just not a starter. :D

I have to respectfully disagree!

Surtain sucks as bad as Law!

chief31
02-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Here ya go! :bananen_smilies046:

I have to respectfully disagree!

Surtain sucks as bad as Law!

I'm with ya HH. They both did a pretty good job. :D

hermhater
02-17-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm with ya HH. They both did a pretty good job. :D

If by "a pretty good job" you mean they did a pretty good at sucking then we are in agreement!

:sign0098:

chief31
02-17-2008, 02:02 PM
If by "a pretty good job" you mean they did a pretty good at sucking then we are in agreement!

:sign0098:

How bad was our defense? I thought that that defense was about the only thing that we had going this year.

hermhater
02-17-2008, 02:08 PM
How bad was our defense? I thought that that defense was about the only thing that we had going this year.

I agree that the D was all we had this year, but the CB's were getting burned deep WAY too often!

Granted they were broke down because they were on the field so long, but still too many deep passes for TD's.

AkChief49
02-17-2008, 02:14 PM
How bad was our defense? I thought that that defense was about the only thing that we had going this year.overall our D finished 13th-just ahead of S.D. Passing D-we finished 5th, and rushing D we finished 28th:frown: So did we finish so well in passing because everyone ran on us?

hermhater
02-17-2008, 02:26 PM
overall our D finished 13th-just ahead of S.D. Passing D-we finished 5th, and rushing D we finished 28th:frown: So did we finish so well in passing because everyone ran on us?

Yep!

Plus we gave up way too many deep passes.

texaschief
02-17-2008, 02:32 PM

Surtain's cap number doesn't warrant keeping him around as a nickle back. If he decides to restructure, then maybe keeping him wouldn't be too bad....MAYBE

chief31
02-17-2008, 04:12 PM
I agree that the D was all we had this year, but the CB's were getting burned deep WAY too often!

Granted they were broke down because they were on the field so long, but still too many deep passes for TD's.

When a CB is beaten deep, there is always a safety that should have been in that area. Especially when you are running the cover-2 so frequently.

Also, everyone was aware of the ages of the CBs, and therefore, as a Chiefs coach, should probably steer clear of situations that have them trying to cover younger, faster WRs deep.

Surtain's cap number doesn't warrant keeping him around as a nickle back. If he decides to restructure, then maybe keeping him wouldn't be too bad....MAYBE

I definitely agree that something needs to be done about Surtain and Laws respective contracts. We can't afford to be paying what we are for two older CBs.

DrunkHillbilly
02-17-2008, 07:42 PM
I think they will keep one of them and release the other.

OTR Chiefs fan
02-17-2008, 07:53 PM
They should try to keep Surtain and move him to a nickle position. Brackenridge showed some promise, maybe move him into a CB spot and then draft CBs and add some depth to the defense. As far as I'm concerned the "D" is pretty much there, just some tweaking needs to be done. :D

chief31
02-18-2008, 02:18 AM
They should try to keep Surtain and move him to a nickle position. Brackenridge showed some promise, maybe move him into a CB spot and then draft CBs and add some depth to the defense. As far as I'm concerned the "D" is pretty much there, just some tweaking needs to be done. :D

While I hope that Brackenridge is ready, let's remember that he was an undrafted FA. We may be putting too much on him, asking him to be an NFL starting CB this early.

But I agree that we should keep either Law, or Surtain. At least for another season. Although I hope we can get one of them to agree to an extension that better suits an aging CB.

hermhater
02-18-2008, 11:08 AM
While I hope that Brackenridge is ready, let's remember that he was an undrafted FA. We may be putting too much on him, asking him to be an NFL starting CB this early.

But I agree that we should keep either Law, or Surtain. At least for another season. Although I hope we can get one of them to agree to an extension that better suits an aging CB.

That's like saying "I hope at least one my elderly relatives makes it through the holidays."

I hope they are both gone, or play for free!

Canada
02-18-2008, 11:11 AM
That's like saying "I hope at least one my elderly relatives makes it through the holidays."

I hope they are both gone, or play for free!

I would be happy to keep one to help the younger guys along and have a little experience at the position.

hermhater
02-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Well that is a tough decision to make.

Since I saw Ty Law covering the endzone pylon with no one else within 25 yards of him this year, I'm gonna say keep Surtain.

Coach
02-18-2008, 04:16 PM

Great point texaschief!

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but I wouldn't be3 surprised to see Boomer get the boot. I know he is a fan favorite, but I don't think he is a Hermie favorite.

Chiefster
02-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Great point texaschief!

Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but I wouldn't be3 surprised to see Boomer get the boot. I know he is a fan favorite, but I don't think he is a Hermie favorite.

True; his production last season, while perhaps due to injury, was dissappointing.

Canada
02-18-2008, 06:19 PM
True; his production last season, while perhaps due to injury, was dissappointing.

I would like to see him get a full season this year at FB, but won't be surprised if they do let him go.

Chiefster
02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
I would like to see him get a full season this year at FB, but won't be surprised if they do let him go.

Yeah, perhaps given a second chance he will do much better, but like you, I won't be surprised to see him go.

Canada
02-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Yeah, perhaps given a second chance he will do much better, but like you, I won't be surprised to see him go.

You always want to be like me!! :D

I don't blame you!! :bananen_smilies046:

hermhater
02-19-2008, 11:59 AM

Even after he was healthy Herm mostly used him on special teams.

Herm can't evaluate talent.

texaschief
02-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Even after he was healthy Herm mostly used him on special teams.

Herm can't evaluate talent.

I think Herm is the guy who leaned heavily on Solari and other coaches to keep him around. Every time you saw him talk about Boomer on HBO, he had nothing but positive remarks about Grigsby. On the last couple episodes, the RB coach and other Offensive coaches weren't too high on Grigsby.

m0ef0e
02-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I think Grigsby is better to run behind than Wilson. The only way Wilson would be really useful is to run him on short to mid routes because he can catch pretty well. I think Wilson would be a better TE, pretty much. FB is a misuse of talent for him. To lay some lumber and clear some holes seems to be more of a job for somebody like Boomer. JMO

IlovetheChiefs
02-19-2008, 07:26 PM
I see Ty Law and Sammie Parker are probable goners. As well as much of the ol, which is a good thing. One or two of the ol have already been axed, one today.

texaschief
02-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Per John Clayton from ESPN, Ryan Lilja has signed a 5 year deal with the Colts.

oh well

m0ef0e
02-20-2008, 11:39 AM

oh well

Dang. I was really hoping we could somehow get him.

hermhater
02-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Dang. I was really hoping we could somehow get him.

Word!

:11:

texaschief
02-20-2008, 01:11 PM
In court, Harris argued that the best way for Taylor to overcome his problems was through hard work and another chance to play professional football.

Taylor told the judge that he recently had a workout with the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I actually had a great tryout and they are thinking about signing me (as a special teams player)," Taylor said, asking the judge for another chance at probation.

"I'd rather be a role model and put God first in my life," Taylor said. "I lost God when I went to college and stopped going to church."

If he serves his time right now, he would be out in July. Romance Taylor is a BIG TIME return man. I watched him at Texas. While preparing for the title game against USC, they used this guy to simulate Reggie Bush. He's a freak athletically and a big reason why USC didn't kick off normally to Texas in that game....if you want a REAL return man...I'd be excited about this.....but only if the Chiefs are still interested after 5 months.

hermhater
02-20-2008, 02:50 PM
In court, Harris argued that the best way for Taylor to overcome his problems was through hard work and another chance to play professional football.

Taylor told the judge that he recently had a workout with the Kansas City Chiefs.

"I actually had a great tryout and they are thinking about signing me (as a special teams player)," Taylor said, asking the judge for another chance at probation.

"I'd rather be a role model and put God first in my life," Taylor said. "I lost God when I went to college and stopped going to church."

If he serves his time right now, he would be out in July. Romance Taylor is a BIG TIME return man. I watched him at Texas. While preparing for the title game against USC, they used this guy to simulate Reggie Bush. He's a freak athletically and a big reason why USC didn't kick off normally to Texas in that game....if you want a REAL return man...I'd be excited about this.....but only if the Chiefs are still interested after 5 months.

I'll take him as a returner.

Hopefully he has learned his lesson.

leaves
02-20-2008, 03:06 PM
just some of the people I don't see being helpful:
-Jackie Battle (HB), i didn't see the same talent as I thought Kolby Smith had, but idk he is 3rd string
-I don't really like Grigsby at FB, I think we need an impressive young gun FB (since we throw out the good vets)
-finally, has Kendrell Bell been cut yet? If not, idk why he's still here, he just takes up room.

AkChief49
02-20-2008, 04:55 PM

oh welldang it!!!!:sign0153:

chief31
02-20-2008, 10:51 PM
just some of the people I don't see being helpful:
-Jackie Battle (HB), i didn't see the same talent as I thought Kolby Smith had, but idk he is 3rd string
-I don't really like Grigsby at FB, I think we need an impressive young gun FB (since we throw out the good vets)
-finally, has Kendrell Bell been cut yet? If not, idk why he's still here, he just takes up room.

Bell is supposed to go this year. Finally.

Grigsby... I dunno, he might do alright at FB if given the chance. But then maybe not. I doubt the Chiefs sign him.

I think Battle was just here to fill a roster spot after the weird year we had at HB.

Chiefster
02-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Bell is supposed to go this year. Finally.

Grigsby... I dunno, he might do alright at FB if given the chance. But then maybe not. I doubt the Chiefs sign him.

I think Battle was just here to fill a roster spot after the weird year we had at HB.

You mean after the weird crazy year we had period?

hermhater
02-21-2008, 01:23 AM
You mean after the weird crazy year we had period?

You're weird and crazy!

texaschief
02-21-2008, 04:02 AM
for those who actually paid attention when i said we should go get this guy, here's an update:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have gone and done it.

According to John Clayton of ESPN.com, the Steelers have applied the transition tag to tackle Max Starks.

But the device doesn’t give the team any type of compensation if he signs with another team. Instead, the Steelers have only a right of first refusal.

The right of first refusal can easily be overcome via a “poison pill” that makes the full amount of a tender offer guaranteed if, for example, Starks plays at least five games in any one season at Heinz Field. It’s a valid device for prompting player movement, and the league and the union were unable to negotiate this twist out of the CBA after the Vikings’ use of it to snag Steve Hutchinson from the Seahawks was upheld.

So if a team signs Starks to an offer sheet that doesn’t include a poison pill, the NFL Players Association can (and arguably should) claim that the NFL franchises have implicitly agreed not to use the poison pill against each other.

Besides, why would the Steelers give Starks a one-year contract in the amount of $6.895 million that becomes fully guaranteed if/when he signs it when they could have secured compensation rights for only $555,000 more?

Meanwhile, the use of the transition tag on Starks means that guard Alan Faneca will hit the open market. Why not use the franchise tag or the transition tag on him?

All things considered, it was a very bad decision by the one of the otherwise best front offices in the league.

-PFT

I'm still a little worried about the Stark's knee. Injuries like these in O-linemen are risky. I was all for signing him before he got hurt, but maybe he'll be fine.

For those who want Faneca, all i can say is no...no...no...NO!! He'll be looking for a huge contract and would run contrary to what the franchise wants to do with their "youth movement." Plus, now that we've tagged Allen, Faneca would take up a lot of the remaing cap space. I'd rather just draft a guard in the 2nd after a tackle in the 1st.

chief31
02-21-2008, 09:39 AM
for those who actually paid attention when i said we should go get this guy, here's an update:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have gone and done it.

According to John Clayton of ESPN.com, the Steelers have applied the transition tag to tackle Max Starks.

But the device doesn’t give the team any type of compensation if he signs with another team. Instead, the Steelers have only a right of first refusal.

The right of first refusal can easily be overcome via a “poison pill” that makes the full amount of a tender offer guaranteed if, for example, Starks plays at least five games in any one season at Heinz Field. It’s a valid device for prompting player movement, and the league and the union were unable to negotiate this twist out of the CBA after the Vikings’ use of it to snag Steve Hutchinson from the Seahawks was upheld.

So if a team signs Starks to an offer sheet that doesn’t include a poison pill, the NFL Players Association can (and arguably should) claim that the NFL franchises have implicitly agreed not to use the poison pill against each other.

Besides, why would the Steelers give Starks a one-year contract in the amount of $6.895 million that becomes fully guaranteed if/when he signs it when they could have secured compensation rights for only $555,000 more?

Meanwhile, the use of the transition tag on Starks means that guard Alan Faneca will hit the open market. Why not use the franchise tag or the transition tag on him?

All things considered, it was a very bad decision by the one of the otherwise best front offices in the league.

-PFT

I'm still a little worried about the Stark's knee. Injuries like these in O-linemen are risky. I was all for signing him before he got hurt, but maybe he'll be fine.

For those who want Faneca, all i can say is no...no...no...NO!! He'll be looking for a huge contract and would run contrary to what the franchise wants to do with their "youth movement." Plus, now that we've tagged Allen, Faneca would take up a lot of the remaing cap space. I'd rather just draft a guard in the 2nd after a tackle in the 1st.

Agreed. Faneca will be too expensive. And I would be thrilled to get a piar of o-linemen on the first day of the draft. If it were the first two rounds, then that could be the highest player taken by any team at two positions.

And I would still be glad to see us go after Starks, or some other free agent lineman. OT Jason Fabini is a pretty good one. :D

AkChief49
02-21-2008, 06:37 PM
I think Grigsby is better to run behind than Wilson. The only way Wilson would be really useful is to run him on short to mid routes because he can catch pretty well. I think Wilson would be a better TE, pretty much. FB is a misuse of talent for him. To lay some lumber and clear some holes seems to be more of a job for somebody like Boomer. JMOYeah I think everyone likes Boomer! I know I do. But if he cannot be the FB what about Lorenzo Neal? sounds like SD will not resign him....dude has been around awhile, but he's pretty darn good!Take him for one year and show Boomer the ropes?

Ilamuku
02-21-2008, 09:29 PM
It would be awesome if Branden Albert were still available in the 2nd Round. Long and Albert could fix up the O-Line real nice.

Chiefster
02-21-2008, 09:54 PM
You're weird and crazy!

This is news to you?