PDA

View Full Version : Matt Ryan???????

nigeriannightmare
03-01-2008, 06:54 PM
What;s up crowd? Just finished up with this weeks sports illustrated and the chiefs seemed to have interest in Matt Ryan. If Ryan is available at 5 what do you think management will do. Don't know who they talked to from the Chiefs organization but it seems "they" think very highly of Matt Ryan.

Three7s
03-01-2008, 08:14 PM
He won't be because the Falcons are gonna grab him, however if Long and Dorsey are gone, but Ryan isn't, somehow, still available, then it would be worth thinking about.

texaschief
03-01-2008, 10:16 PM
If we do take Ryan, we need to trade Brodie Croyle and let it be known that the job is Matt Ryan's. The biggest thing is that we need to make sure he gets to camp on time. It's not like we don't have the cap room to pay him what he wants.

But, like i've said before, I'd much rather have Flacco in a later round. Matt Ryan just doesn't seem to be much of an athlete...and for the next couple years, that's what this team is going to need as we rebuild this line. Even if we rebuild this line thru the draft with stud linemen, they're still going to be rookies and will need a couple years of NFL experience before they will make a dominant line.

jaytray
03-01-2008, 11:23 PM
I'd love to take ryan but I really don't see the falcons passing him up. With the whole vick situation the team knows that it has to get a new face of the falcons even if its not the guy they really want.

I am crossing my fingers for jake long.

First post BTW. weeeeeeeeeee.

royalswin100games
03-01-2008, 11:40 PM
If we do take Ryan, we need to trade Brodie Croyle and let it be known that the job is Matt Ryan's. The biggest thing is that we need to make sure he gets to camp on time. It's not like we don't have the cap room to pay him what he wants.

But, like i've said before, I'd much rather have Flacco in a later round. Matt Ryan just doesn't seem to be much of an athlete...and for the next couple years, that's what this team is going to need as we rebuild this line. Even if we rebuild this line thru the draft with stud linemen, they're still going to be rookies and will need a couple years of NFL experience before they will make a dominant line.

Flacco did look cool as a cucumber at the combine. What about Henne or maybe Ainge? Matt Ryan has a cannon for an arm but he isn't very mobile.

texaschief
03-01-2008, 11:58 PM
Flacco did look cool as a cucumber at the combine. What about Henne or maybe Ainge? Matt Ryan has a cannon for an arm but he isn't very mobile.

I don't like Henne or Ainge. If we were to take a QB that late, I'd look at Woodson from Kentucky first.

royalswin100games
03-01-2008, 11:59 PM
I don't like Henne or Ainge. If we were to take a QB that late, I'd look at Woodson from Kentucky first.

Woodson is slower than Ryan. Granted he does have a cannon, but he can't move.

texaschief
03-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Woodson is slower than Ryan. Granted he does have a cannon, but he can't move.

i disagree. i watched him several times this season and he's more mobile than most of the QBs in this draft.

royalswin100games
03-02-2008, 12:03 AM
i disagree. i watched him several times this season and he's more mobile than most of the QBs in this draft.

I watched him too but I guess we're both entitled to our opinions. He did look impressive against LSU.

What do you think about Brohm? I think he was overhyped at the beginning of this season but the "experts" think he has the skills.

texaschief
03-02-2008, 12:20 AM
I watched him too but I guess we're both entitled to our opinions. He did look impressive against LSU.

What do you think about Brohm? I think he was overhyped at the beginning of this season but the "experts" think he has the skills.

I don't like him.....at all. he reminds me of a Chris Simms. I watched enough of Texas football to know i don't like Simms. lol

OTR Chiefs fan
03-02-2008, 02:07 AM
Guys! Guys! What are we doing talking about a QB in the first round? Even if Matt Ryan was available to the Chiefs (which I don't think he will be) I think it would be a wasted pick on him at this time. QB is not our most pressing need. O-line, O-line, O-LINE!!! :D If we can get a good prospect in the later rounds, then fine. We need to see what Croyle can do with a full season under his belt and we have a decent backup in Huard. So, lets turn our thoughts to the real issues at hand. Note to Carl; GET THE DEAL DONE WITH ALLEN!!! :D

hermhater
03-02-2008, 02:08 AM
I don't like him.....at all. he reminds me of a Chris Simms. I watched enough of Texas football to know i don't like Simms. lol

They have football in Texas?

:lol:

hermhater
03-02-2008, 02:09 AM
Guys! Guys! What are we doing talking about a QB in the first round? Even if Matt Ryan was available to the Chiefs (which I don't think he will be) I think it would be a wasted pick on him at this time. QB is not our most pressing need. O-line, O-line, O-LINE!!! :D If we can get a good prospect in the later rounds, then fine. We need to see what Croyle can do with a full season under his belt and we have a decent backup in Huard. So, lets turn our thoughts to the real issues at hand. Note to Carl; GET THE DEAL DONE WITH ALLEN!!! :D

What's going on OTR?

Where ya at tonight?

Coach
03-02-2008, 08:24 AM
I'd love to take ryan but I really don't see the falcons passing him up. With the whole vick situation the team knows that it has to get a new face of the falcons even if its not the guy they really want.

I am crossing my fingers for jake long.

First post BTW. weeeeeeeeeee.

I hope Ryan isn't there. Because if he is, that means that J Long is almost certainly gone.

I'm not against the Chiefs taking a chance on a QB late on the first day if there are some good prospects left. I'd be really surprised if Woodson is still there though.

AkChief49
03-02-2008, 08:47 AM
a QB only after other needs have been met!! OL and CB are our (first)needs.

DrunkHillbilly
03-02-2008, 01:02 PM
If Long is gone, I hope we don't reach and take a flyer on an O lineman just because of need. O linemen are few and far between this year. In the draft and free agency.

hermhater
03-02-2008, 02:51 PM
If Long is gone, I hope we don't reach and take a flyer on an O lineman just because of need. O linemen are few and far between this year. In the draft and free agency.

I say we throw a sack over Long's head and kidnap the guy!

When pre season rolls around we let him out of his cage to run wild over opposing defensive lineman!

:yahoo:

Coach
03-02-2008, 03:01 PM

I'd agree that I hope that we don't reach for another OL if J Long is gone. But as far as OL being few and far between, most analysts view this draft as being very deep for O-lineman.

Three7s
03-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Especially OTs.

jaytray
03-02-2008, 03:05 PM

When pre season rolls around we let him out of his cage to run wild over opposing defensive lineman!

Best idea I've heard all week!!!!

DrunkHillbilly
03-02-2008, 03:43 PM
I'd agree that I hope that we don't reach for another OL if J Long is gone. But as far as OL being few and far between, most analysts view this draft as being very deep for O-lineman.
I couldn't disagree more!!! I don't want to see us reach for a guy like Clady and then be back to square one. I'd rather trade the pick!

hermhater
03-02-2008, 04:09 PM
I couldn't disagree more!!! I don't want to see us reach for a guy like Clady and then be back to square one. I'd rather trade the pick!

What's wrong with Clady?

Canada
03-02-2008, 04:58 PM

Yeah...You ....kidnap Long!! :lol:

hermhater
03-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah...You ....kidnap Long!! :lol:

I said "we"! :sign0104:

Pay attention!

jaytray
03-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I said "we"! :sign0104:

Pay attention!

Add me to the "we" list. When is this kidnapping takeing place? I'll buy my plane tix right now!

hermhater
03-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Add me to the "we" list. When is this kidnapping takeing place? I'll buy my plane tix right now!

As soon as we get every one on board!

We have to keep quiet about it or he will be on guard!

Three7s
03-02-2008, 06:53 PM
We're gonna need at least 20 people! The dude is a monster!

hermhater
03-02-2008, 07:25 PM
How many do we have on board?

Canada
03-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Including you and jaytray...one and a half!!

hermhater
03-02-2008, 08:45 PM

Hah!

(That was actually kind of funny!)

Canada
03-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Hah!

(That was actually kind of funny!)

:D :bananen_smilies046:

hermhater
03-02-2008, 09:01 PM
:D :bananen_smilies046:

Shouldn't you be cleaning the vomit off of a crack head or something?

:bananen_smilies046:

royalswin100games
03-02-2008, 09:03 PM

Geez, what does Canada do? Does he work in an emergency room?
:drunkhb:

Canada
03-02-2008, 09:04 PM

Too early...I just watched the Simpsons and Dexter, now I am waitin for the Family Guy to start! ...and gettin paid for it!! :D

royalswin100games
03-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Too early...I just watched the Simpsons and Dexter, now I am waitin for the Family Guy to start! ...and gettin paid for it!! :D

PETER IS THE MAN! So is Quagmire... Alllllllrighhhht.

Canada
03-02-2008, 09:08 PM
gigiddy gigiddy

Canada
03-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Geez, what does Canada do? Does he work in an emergency room?
:drunkhb:

Paramedic....I bring 'em in to the emergency room!! :D

royalswin100games
03-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Paramedic....I bring 'em in to the emergency room!! :D

Sweet. I'm trying to get into PA school. I'm thinking about specializing in emergency medicine. Am I getting off topic? Let's trade #5 for two first rounders or maybe a first and second.

Canada
03-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Sweet. I'm trying to get into PA school. I'm thinking about specializing in emergency medicine. Am I getting off topic? Let's trade #5 for two first rounders or maybe a first and second.

I teach Paramedics at the college where I live too. I would love to trade the #5 if Long is not available.

royalswin100games
03-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I teach Paramedics at the college where I live too. I would love to trade the #5 if Long is not available.

I've fixed broken Marines and Seabees for 11 years. A lot of field stuff. Malingering in homeport, seabees are always trying to get out of work.

I'll be good with Godser Cherilus from BC, Clady from Boise, or Otah from Pitt.

Canada
03-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I've fixed broken Marines and Seabees for 11 years. A lot of field stuff. Malingering in homeport, seabees are always trying to get out of work.

I'll be good with Godser Cherilus from BC, Clady from Boise, or Otah from Pitt.

I like being out on the road. I am not a big fan of the controlled invironment. I gotta have things goin on all around me to really enjoy my work!!

hermhater
03-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I like being out on the road. I am not a big fan of the controlled invironment. I gotta have things goin on all around me to really enjoy my work!!

Family guy starts in 7 minutes!

What about the #5 spot?

giggity

royalswin100games
03-02-2008, 09:27 PM
Family guy starts in 7 minutes!

What about the #5 spot?

giggity

Trade the # 5 for some more 1st/2nd round picks.

Alllrighhht

Three7s
03-02-2008, 09:28 PM
I'd only do it if Long and Dorsey are gone. Both of those guys could fill a much needed hole, obviously.

royalswin100games
03-02-2008, 09:31 PM
I'd only do it if Long and Dorsey are gone. Both of those guys could fill a much needed hole, obviously.

I'm not sold on Dorsey but if Long is available, I completely agree we should take him.
:toast2:

hermhater
03-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Trade the # 5 for some more 1st/2nd round picks.

Alllrighhht

But what if Long is still there at #5?

Three7s
03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm not sold on Dorsey but if Long is available, I completely agree we should take him.
:toast2:

hermhater
03-02-2008, 09:34 PM
Looks like I waited a little too long before posting!

3-7's sort of beat me too it!

royalswin100games
03-02-2008, 09:38 PM

What'd I do? Am I missing something?
:sign0104:

Three7s
03-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Oh, nope, that was to HH for being a bit late!

hermhater
03-02-2008, 09:47 PM

Coach
03-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Nobody said they shouldn't trade the pick if J Long isn't there. I was just saying that it is a deep draft in terms of o-lineman.

hermhater
03-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Nobody said they shouldn't trade the pick if J Long isn't there. I was just saying that it is a deep draft in terms of o-lineman.

See this is where I get confused.

I have heard on this board that it is a deep draft for O linemen, and that it isn't deep.

Which is it?

royalswin100games
03-02-2008, 11:05 PM

I have heard on this board that it is a deep draft for O linemen, and that it isn't deep.

Which is it?

It seems there are several tackles that are hyped up to be good pros. Guard, however is a different story.

Coach
03-02-2008, 11:06 PM

Which is it?
Obviously that is subject to interpretation. The experts that I have read refer to it being deep. The only person I've read that didn't think it was a deep o-lineman draft was drunkhillbilly.

hermhater
03-02-2008, 11:12 PM
It seems there are several tackles that are hyped up to be good pros. Guard, however is a different story.

We are gonna need guards too. I think they are gonna move Waters to Center.

Obviously that is subject to interpretation. The experts that I have read refer to it being deep. The only person I've read that didn't think it was a deep o-lineman draft was drunkhillbilly.

There were a couple of others that said the draft wasn't that deep as well.

Can't remember who it was now though...

royalswin100games
03-02-2008, 11:18 PM
They're gonna need to move Waters to center. I haven't heard of any quality free agents left. The top center i've seen in the draft hype is Mike Pollak out of Arizona State and he's not projected as a 1st or 2nd rounder.

Chiefster
03-03-2008, 01:44 AM

Which is it?

Well it is, but it isn't.

:p

kcmostwanted
03-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Definitely a deep draft for Tackles... as for other positions i'm not sure.

We can see 4+ tackles go in the 1st round..
and then in the later rounds there are other guys too such as Collins from KU, the Vandy Kid, Maryland Kid, Nebraska Kid... Lots to choose from this Draft..

The Chiefs could go..1st rnd O-line, 2nd - CB, 3rd - O-line... and they would still get a quality Offensive Linemen for that 3rd rounder...

hermhater
03-03-2008, 02:10 AM
When is the draft?

Chiefster
03-03-2008, 02:14 AM
When is the draft?

http://www.nfl.com/draft

chief31
03-03-2008, 02:31 AM

In my opinion, and most of the talking heads on T.V. that you lend so much credibility to usually, this is one of the best draft years for OTs in a very long time.

I would rather see us trade the pick if Long isn't there, but I won't be dissapointed if we do take Clady. And, depending on which guy we get, I won't throw a hissy if we wind up getting our OT in the second round.

As far as taking a QB in the first... Just go ahead and shoot me now. :D

hermhater
03-03-2008, 02:40 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft

Thanks for personalizing it.

hermhater
03-03-2008, 02:42 AM
In my opinion, and most of the talking heads on T.V. that you lend so much credibility to usually, this is one of the best draft years for OTs in a very long time.

I would rather see us trade the pick if Long isn't there, but I won't be dissapointed if we do take Clady. And, depending on which guy we get, I won't throw a hissy if we wind up getting our OT in the second round.

As far as taking a QB in the first... Just go ahead and shoot me now. :D

Matt Ryan!

(You asked for it!)

texaschief
03-03-2008, 02:53 AM
These should be the ONLY 3 options the Chiefs should do with their #5 pick.

1) Draft J. Long
2) Draft Vernon Gholston
3) Trade to Cowboys for 2 #1 picks and a 2nd or 3rd.

PERIOD!!!! Nothing else should even be talked about!!!!

If Matt Ryan is still on the board, I'm affraid Chan Gailey will talk them into drafting Ryan. That's just my gut feeling.

hermhater
03-03-2008, 03:13 AM
You know what?

I think we will get Chris Long, and I am happy with that.

chief31
03-03-2008, 05:30 AM
I'd still be satisfied with drafting Clady there, or trading down just a few spots with either N.O, or Cincinnati. (There are other spots that we could trade to as well.)

hermhater
03-03-2008, 02:03 PM
I'd still be satisfied with drafting Clady there, or trading down just a few spots with either N.O, or Cincinnati. (There are other spots that we could trade to as well.)

Do we get Brees or Ocho Cinco in that trade?

DrunkHillbilly
03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
I think Clady is a reach. I would much rather trade the pick.

Chiefster
03-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Thanks for personalizing it.

Meh!

I do what I can. :D

texaschief
03-03-2008, 03:05 PM

I agree. Clady IS a reach at #5. If he's the guy we want, we need to trade down and pick up more picks.

nigeriannightmare
03-03-2008, 06:13 PM
a QB only after other needs have been met!! OL and CB are our (first)needs.

I know the more pressing needs are OL and CB, but to read an article in which the chiefs are analyzing Matt Ryan's strenths and weaknesses was just a l ittle weird to me.

chief31
03-03-2008, 06:49 PM

I agree. Clady IS a reach at #5. If he's the guy we want, we need to trade down and pick up more picks.

I don't think it would be a huge reach, as if Jake Long were not in this class, then Clady would be ranked higher. But that is just my opinion.

DrunkHillbilly
03-03-2008, 07:19 PM
I don't think it would be a huge reach, as if Jake Long were not in this class, then Clady would be ranked higher. But that is just my opinion.
My point is that Clady is no where near the lineman Long is. I don't want to take a chance on a flyer and have him turn out to be a bust ( anything short of an absolute stud at #5 overall ) when we could trade the pick for possibly a small bundle of picks or even a player trade.

chief31
03-03-2008, 07:37 PM
My point is that Clady is no where near the lineman Long is. I don't want to take a chance on a flyer and have him turn out to be a bust ( anything short of an absolute stud at #5 overall ) when we could trade the pick for possibly a small bundle of picks or even a player trade.

No doubt, I would rather trade down. But if the Chiefs can't find a decent trade, then I don't think that we should use our #5 pick to add a fifth starting LB, with the void of starters on the o-line and at CB.

texaschief
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
No doubt, I would rather trade down. But if the Chiefs can't find a decent trade, then I don't think that we should use our #5 pick to add a fifth starting LB, with the void of starters on the o-line and at CB.

This is where teams get in trouble in the draft. You can't draft for need when your pick is going to be an obvious reach. You just pick the best available player. If you can't find a trade partner, that's all you can do. You can't reach.....ESPECIALLY at #5.

chief31
03-03-2008, 08:09 PM
This is where teams get in trouble in the draft. You can't draft for need when your pick is going to be an obvious reach. You just pick the best available player. If you can't find a trade partner, that's all you can do. You can't reach.....ESPECIALLY at #5.

That is just as foolish as drafting for position, regardless.

You can't draft a RB if you have three studs already. Clady isn't some major reach, maybe a slight reach, but nothing absurd.

By your reasoning here, some teams would have to find room for eight or nine players at a single position.

Every team ranks players in the draft based on their value to that particular team. If I already have Ladanian Tonlinson and Michael Turner, how valuable is a RB in the first round?

Not as valuable to me, as he is to a team without a solid starting RB.

Along with how good you feel a player is, you have to weigh-in how usefull he would be to building your team. And fillinf-out your depth-chart is far more important than having Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees all on the same team.

Basically, with a first round pick, you want to find a starter, not a backup. And if I already have a starter that I like, then why draft his backup?

Slight exaggeration, but I don't want to field a team that has five starting LBs and three starting offensive linemen because the league forces me to field five offensive linemen, and three or four linebackers.

DrunkHillbilly
03-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Totally agree. It would have to be the right player obviously.

DrunkHillbilly
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
That is just as foolish as drafting for position, regardless.

You can't draft a RB if you have three studs already. Clady isn't some major reach, maybe a slight reach, but nothing absurd.

By your reasoning here, some teams would have to find room for eight or nine players at a single position.

Every team ranks players in the draft based on their value to that particular team. If I already have Ladanian Tonlinson and Michael Turner, how valuable is a RB in the first round?

Not as valuable to me, as he is to a team without a solid starting RB.

Along with how good you feel a player is, you have to weigh-in how usefull he would be to building your team. And fillinf-out your depth-chart is far more important than having Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, and Drew Brees all on the same team.

Basically, with a first round pick, you want to find a starter, not a backup. And if I already have a starter that I like, then why draft his backup?

Slight exaggeration, but I don't want to field a team that has five starting LBs and three starting offensive linemen because the league forces me to field five offensive linemen, and three or four linebackers.

What about drafting that player to trade to a different team? This is where I think they could be working the phones a little to benefit us.

chief31
03-04-2008, 02:19 AM
What about drafting that player to trade to a different team? This is where I think they could be working the phones a little to benefit us.

I totally agree with that concept. I brought up that idea somewhere awhile back. It's basically the same as trading down, except that you can wait and see if the player you want down at the other spot is still available.

The Chargers drafted Eli Manning, and would have kept him, had Rivers been gone at the Giants' pick. But, since the guy they were willing to trade for was still available when the Giants' spot came up, they got the deal done.

hermhater
03-04-2008, 02:24 AM
I totally agree with that concept. I brought up that idea somewhere awhile back. It's basically the same as trading down, except that you can wait and see if the player you want down at the other spot is still available.

The Chargers drafted Eli Manning, and would have kept him, had Rivers been gone at the Giants' pick. But, since the guy they were willing to trade for was still available when the Giants' spot came up, they got the deal done.

So that's how that whole thing went down.

I was under the impression Eli refused to play in SD, and was gonna hold out if he didn't get traded.

chief31
03-04-2008, 04:08 AM
So that's how that whole thing went down.

I was under the impression Eli refused to play in SD, and was gonna hold out if he didn't get traded.

He had made that threat, but he would have played, had they not traded him. IMO.

hermhater
03-04-2008, 04:14 AM
He had made that threat, but he would have played, had they not traded him. IMO.

I would wager you are right.

Who was that guy that wouldn't play for Seattle(Some QB?) about 10 years ago, and after skipping the draft no one wanted him?

chief31
03-04-2008, 04:19 AM
I would wager you are right.

Who was that guy that wouldn't play for Seattle(?) about 10 years ago, and after skipping the draft no one wanted him?

Couldn't tell ya off-hand.

hermhater
03-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Couldn't tell ya off-hand.

Well then tell me on-hand.

Dang mods...

rbedgood
03-05-2008, 05:11 PM

Jaytray must be huge...

rbedgood
03-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Some guy named Elway did that to the Colts too!!!

hermhater
03-07-2008, 02:49 PM
Some guy named Elway did that to the Colts too!!!

He did?

I never knew that.

Interesting...