PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs claim new fullback off waivers !

YZILLA
03-01-2008, 08:56 PM
Chiefs claim fullback off waivers http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/03/2.jpg
Ronald Martinez - Getty

By C.E. Wendler (javascript:location.href='http://search.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=4&c=1&search=1&sskey=%22' + escape('C.E. Wendler') + '%22&sssiteid=115';)
Warpaint Illustrated Columnist
Posted Mar 1, 2008

The Chiefs may have missed out on their top free agent targets, but filled a position of need late Friday night by claiming fullback Oliver Hoyte (6-3, 252) off waivers from the Dallas Cowboys.

Hoyte, who originally entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2006, was a middle linebacker in college at North Carolina State. The Dallas Cowboys converted him to fullback, where he played sparingly in 2006 and 2007 on offense, starting eight games. He also contributed on special teams.

Hoyte has his own website, at www.oliverhoyte.com (http://www.oliverhoyte.com/)

tammietailgator
03-01-2008, 09:14 PM
:D - He needs to get to work on changing his website, but I like him!! He looks mean!

royalswin100games
03-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Anything to help the blocking game works I guess.

hermhater
03-02-2008, 03:40 AM
Will LJ perform better now?

YZILLA
03-02-2008, 04:21 AM
So far we have yet to do Chit about our main need in the O-line, Therefore LJ, Kolby , Superman, the green lantern, ect aint gonna go anywhere outa the backfield.

hermhater
03-02-2008, 04:23 AM
So far we have yet to do Chit about our main need in the O-line, Therefore LJ, Kolby , Superman, the green lantern, ect aint gonna go anywhere outa the backfield.

Now you speak up.

I am going to sleep.

Nice timing.

hermhater
03-02-2008, 04:24 AM
Superman would kick some ***!

:yahoo:

Polleo Pit Man
03-03-2008, 02:16 AM
So what about boomer? I am out of it, we still have boomer right?

Chiefster
03-03-2008, 02:19 AM

His future with the team is questionable.

hermhater
03-03-2008, 02:25 AM

yet to be determined

Canada
03-03-2008, 06:24 AM
We signed the Green Lantern? I didn't think the Packers would ever let him go!! :)

m0ef0e
03-03-2008, 12:20 PM
So, what's the deal with the FB spot then? Do you guys think we will use Boomer and this guy and maybe move Wilson back out to TE? Or do we maybe let Boomer go since he is FA (hope not)?

Just wondering what y'all thought about this.

DrunkHillbilly
03-03-2008, 12:29 PM
So, what's the deal with the FB spot then? Do you guys think we will use Boomer and this guy and maybe move Wilson back out to TE? Or do we maybe let Boomer go since he is FA (hope not)?

Just wondering what y'all thought about this.
I personally don't think it matters who is at that position unless he is a flat out stud. I.E. Lorenzo Neil. This team doesn't and hasn't seemed to utilize that position very much or very good for that matter.

YZILLA
03-03-2008, 12:57 PM
but that might change with the new offensive coordinator we have.

DrunkHillbilly
03-03-2008, 01:45 PM
but that might change with the new offensive coordinator we have.
Possibly but I'm just not sure how important that position is anyway. I say put someone back there and let's go with it!

Chiefster
03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
How many times will we see this article? :p

Canada
03-03-2008, 07:53 PM
seven

chief31
03-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Possibly but I'm just not sure how important that position is anyway. I say put someone back there and let's go with it!

Yeah, it's only a blocker, who cares. Anyone will do. :lol:

DrunkHillbilly
03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Yea, your right again!! A bunch of HOF FB's!! There are a ton of RB's throughout history that have done just fine with whoever is back there and a ton who have done just fine when there is nobody in the backfield with them!! :funnypost:

peekaboo224
03-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Too bad the Chiefs didn't bring back Tony Richardson.

Canada
03-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Yea, your right again!! A bunch of HOF FB's!! There are a ton of RB's throughout history that have done just fine with whoever is back there and a ton who have done just fine when there is nobody in the backfield with them!! :funnypost:

So are you saying that Tony Richardson, Lorenzo Neal, Moose Johnson...they are all just average FBs? I am not saying a fullback is essential to a good running back, but a good running back can be made great with the right blockers.

DrunkHillbilly
03-03-2008, 10:33 PM
So are you saying that Tony Richardson, Lorenzo Neal, Moose Johnson...they are all just average FBs? I am not saying a fullback is essential to a good running back, but a good running back can be made great with the right blockers.
I mentioned Neil in a different thread I think. Maybe this one. Forgot about the Moose!!! Richardson, eh whatever. You just named three!!!!! How many successfull RB's are there in this league and you named three FB's??????? What about the teams that have no FB? That's kind of my point. Just put someone back there and get on with it! If they turn out to be good, great! A diamond in the rough, but to waste time effort or money on someone who probably has 50 other guys that could do just as well as he is silly to me.

AkChief49
03-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Mike Alstott, Mack Strong...

DrunkHillbilly
03-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Mike Alstott, Mack Strong...
Two of those 50 I was talking about.

tammietailgator
03-03-2008, 11:40 PM
I hope we get somebody big!!! That should help!:D
:lol:

Canada
03-04-2008, 01:12 AM
I mentioned Neil in a different thread I think. Maybe this one. Forgot about the Moose!!! Richardson, eh whatever. You just named three!!!!! How many successfull RB's are there in this league and you named three FB's??????? What about the teams that have no FB? That's kind of my point. Just put someone back there and get on with it! If they turn out to be good, great! A diamond in the rough, but to waste time effort or money on someone who probably has 50 other guys that could do just as well as he is silly to me.

So I would be just as effective as those guys? They have no impact in the running game at all? Why use them at all then?

hermhater
03-04-2008, 01:24 AM
I wonder how well AP would have done this year without T-Rich.

Canada
03-04-2008, 01:25 AM
I wonder how well AP would have done this year without T-Rich.

Apparently just the same

hermhater
03-04-2008, 01:30 AM
Apparently just the same

What do you know?

:11:

Canada
03-04-2008, 01:42 AM
What do you know?

:11:

Do you even read threads or just the last post?

hermhater
03-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Do you even read threads or just the last post?

I read the whole thread, and was agreeing with you in an a$$hole kind of way!

:bananen_smilies046:

Pay attention! :sign0104:

DrunkHillbilly
03-04-2008, 09:05 AM
So I would be just as effective as those guys? They have no impact in the running game at all? Why use them at all then?
Ha!!! That's funny! Some teams DON'T use a FB!!!!

I was taliking about guys under 6'6 and have some athelitic ability!!!!!:yahoo: :D

Canada
03-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Ha!!! That's funny! Some teams DON'T use a FB!!!!

I was taliking about guys under 6'6 and have some athelitic ability!!!!!:yahoo: :D

Some teams don't use four defensive lineman...does that make them ineffective too?

DrunkHillbilly
03-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Some teams don't use four defensive lineman...does that make them ineffective too?
Now your just arguing to argue. FB is not a neccesity that all teams use. I think James was fairly productive in his prime without one!

Canada
03-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Now your just arguing to argue. FB is not a neccesity that all teams use. I think James was fairly productive in his prime without one!

I am only arguing your point that a FB is just a body in the backfield. A good fullback makes a RB better. I am not saying a RB can not be successful without one, bu any RB in the league is going to benefit from a good FB. Is it justa fluke that Lorenzo Neal has blocked for 10 or 11 consecutive 1000 yard runners?

DrunkHillbilly
03-04-2008, 12:55 PM
I am only arguing your point that a FB is just a body in the backfield. A good fullback makes a RB better. I am not saying a RB can not be successful without one, bu any RB in the league is going to benefit from a good FB. Is it justa fluke that Lorenzo Neal has blocked for 10 or 11 consecutive 1000 yard runners?
I understand your point but it's not a position that I would waste a bunch of money on if there isn't a Neil available! ***** we have Boomer Grigsby ( who? ) (exactly) back there! You names three guys before that were standouts. How about the other 29 teams? They all basically have the same guy at FB. You could rotate those guys from team to team and the RB would produce just the same for the most part.

hermhater
03-04-2008, 12:56 PM

He sure was...

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/03/10.jpg

I'm Rick James *****!

DrunkHillbilly
03-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm Rick Jaaaaaaaaames biatch!!!

royalswin100games
03-04-2008, 01:01 PM
What'd the five fingers say to the face?

hermhater
03-04-2008, 01:02 PM
I understand your point but it's not a position that I would waste a bunch of money on if there isn't a Neil available! ***** we have Boomer Grigsby ( who? ) (exactly) back there! You names three guys before that were standouts. How about the other 29 teams? They all basically have the same guy at FB. You could rotate those guys from team to team and the RB would produce just the same for the most part.

Is T-Rich still available?

Couldn't we just drop that guy we already signed and get him back?

hermhater
03-04-2008, 01:04 PM
What'd the five fingers say to the face?

SLAP!

(What's gonna happen to Ray Lewis!)

DrunkHillbilly
03-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Is T-Rich still available?

Couldn't we just drop that guy we already signed and get him back?
I doubt he would want to come back!

Chiefster
03-04-2008, 05:10 PM
I doubt he would want to come back!

...Can ya blame him?

DrunkHillbilly
03-04-2008, 06:22 PM
...Can ya blame him?
Not one bit!!!

rbedgood
03-05-2008, 04:05 PM

Hmmm...arguing just to argue...someone else around here does that too...

Anyways you're right not all teams use a FB...however ALL teams that try to base their offense on the run tend to use a FB. Comparing Herm's conservative offense to that of the Colts (Spread offense), Patriots, Bengals, Rams, or other pass-heavy offensive schemes is irrelevant. KC doesn't have to personnel to effectively spread the field with 3-4 WRs like most of these teams do. Therefore to run the ball KC needs to have great blockers from the O-line, to the TE, to the FB.

Not many FBs make the HOF, as mentioned, however many of those great RBs that are mentioned ran behind a great FB. Emmitt Smith would've been great still, but I doubt he'd have the all-time rushing record without Darryl Johnston. Roger Craig/Ricky Watters...look at Tom Rathman. Shaun Alexander (Mack Strong)...I'll be really curious who LT will run behind when/if Lorenzo Neal leaves. LT will still be great, don't kid yourselves. KC misses T-Richardson, and Hoyte may or may not be the guy to fill those shoes.

hermhater
03-07-2008, 02:27 PM

Anyways you're right not all teams use a FB...however ALL teams that try to base their offense on the run tend to use a FB. Comparing Herm's conservative offense to that of the Colts (Spread offense), Patriots, Bengals, Rams, or other pass-heavy offensive schemes is irrelevant. KC doesn't have to personnel to effectively spread the field with 3-4 WRs like most of these teams do. Therefore to run the ball KC needs to have great blockers from the O-line, to the TE, to the FB.

Not many FBs make the HOF, as mentioned, however many of those great RBs that are mentioned ran behind a great FB. Emmitt Smith would've been great still, but I doubt he'd have the all-time rushing record without Darryl Johnston. Roger Craig/Ricky Watters...look at Tom Rathman. Shaun Alexander (Mack Strong)...I'll be really curious who LT will run behind when/if Lorenzo Neal leaves. LT will still be great, don't kid yourselves. KC misses T-Richardson, and Hoyte may or may not be the guy to fill those shoes.

Since we went ahead and signed him, I hope he is!

:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
03-08-2008, 07:15 PM

Nice post reply! :sign0098:

leaves
03-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Oh man. I heard FB arguments, and like jack flash got my a** over here. FB isnt necessary, simply for teams that rely on a RB system solely(loose term here). There's a reason the jets grabbed richardson (have fun adrian), and I'm hoping lorenzo leaves SD cuz for 2 or 3 yrs now I've been sayin LT would lose 3-400yds w/out him.

However, I am flustered by this, only cuz I think SD'll grab someone like owen schmidt (good), and Minn.'ll grab peyton hillis. My golden 4th's options for the chiefs.

hermhater
03-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Oh man. I heard FB arguments, and like jack flash got my a** over here. FB isnt necessary, simply for teams that rely on a RB system solely(loose term here). There's a reason the jets grabbed richardson (have fun adrian), and I'm hoping lorenzo leaves SD cuz for 2 or 3 yrs now I've been sayin LT would lose 3-400yds w/out him.

However, I am flustered by this, only cuz I think SD'll grab someone like owen schmidt (good), and Minn.'ll grab peyton hillis. My golden 4th's options for the chiefs.

What does that last sentence mean?
:sign0153:

leaves
03-08-2008, 09:25 PM
sure, I meant my wish draft had a FB (owen or peyton) being grabbed by KC in the 4th round, but I personally think that SD will grab someone like Owen Schmidt and I'm almost positive Minnesota's going to grab Peyton Hillis.

I guess we'll see.

hermhater
03-08-2008, 09:39 PM
sure, I meant my wish draft had a FB (owen or peyton) being grabbed by KC in the 4th round, but I personally think that SD will grab someone like Owen Schmidt and I'm almost positive Minnesota's going to grab Peyton Hillis.

I guess we'll see.

Can't wait till draft day!

royalswin100games
03-09-2008, 02:38 PM

I guess we'll see.

Jacob Hester may be a good utility man, maybe not the best fullback. He'll give 100% every play.

hermhater
03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Jacob Hester may be a good utility man, maybe not the best fullback. He'll give 100% every play.

Who's Jacob Hester?

Any relation to Devin?

royalswin100games
03-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Who's Jacob Hester?

Any relation to Devin?

RB out of LSU and no, no relation

leaves
03-09-2008, 08:23 PM
that is very true, I get all caught up on the best FB's in the draft, but Jacob Hester would be significant...as well as better than the currents.

AkChief49
03-09-2008, 08:46 PM

Lorenzo was gone at the start of FA. http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/16092577.html

leaves
03-09-2008, 09:39 PM
right, but I subconciously assume they might wait and grab him later on. I prob. shouldnt, but i do.