PDA

View Full Version : Two guys discussing the Chiefs first pick in the draft.

hermhater
03-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Pick 5–Kansas City Chiefs

Geeves: Here I am. Kansas City. Everybody thought we were going to draft Jake Long, since our line is….well, a bit like a pep talk to the Pittsburgh Pirates. Kind of irrelevant. Long is gone, but I do still need offensive line help for that twoheaded Brodiemon Croyhuard quarterback monster. Oh, what the hell, I’ll take Jeff Otah.

Greg Trippiedi: The moral of the story is that if you can’t buy protection…you’re best off reaching for it in the draft.

Geeves: As many a nightclub outing has proven.

Greg Trippiedi: Haha! I’m sort of serious though, with the price of tackles in free agency, it’s almost become a good idea to overvalue them in the draft, so that you don’t have to spend a ton of money for mediocrity.

Geeves: And I suppose you’re reaching either way (paying for mediocrity in FA or the draft, take your pick).

Greg Trippiedi: The difference is that you are giving up pick value instead of cap dollars.

Geeves: Good point.

Greg Trippiedi: Which is more valuable…I dont know.
Geeves: Cap dollars are more useful long term.

http://mvn.com/nfl-draft/2008/03/10/nfl-draft-university-mock-draft-20-picks-1-7/

So O lineman are being overvalued in the draft?

royalswin100games
03-10-2008, 04:51 PM

The media seems to put out that the OT position is the deepest position in this draft. Are they overvalued? I don't know. O-lineman seem to have a long shelf life. Some seem to pan out after their first couple of seasons in the league. I guess you could say that for any position. If we trade the pick and get one of these other tackles in the first round and maybe a CB or DT, wouldn't it work out better for us?

Also, everyone seems to be talking about Long's size. Braden Albert out of UVA is the top rated guard in this draft, he's a little bit bigger, and ESPN said this morning that he could be a good candidate to move to tackle. They showed some clips of pancakes by this guy going full speed in game and let me tell you, I'd be very afraid.

hermhater
03-10-2008, 05:05 PM
The media seems to put out that the OT position is the deepest position in this draft. Are they overvalued? I don't know. O-lineman seem to have a long shelf life. Some seem to pan out after their first couple of seasons in the league. I guess you could say that for any position. If we trade the pick and get one of these other tackles in the first round and maybe a CB or DT, wouldn't it work out better for us?

Also, everyone seems to be talking about Long's size. Braden Albert out of UVA is the top rated guard in this draft, he's a little bit bigger, and ESPN said this morning that he could be a good candidate to move to tackle. They showed some clips of pancakes by this guy going full speed in game and let me tell you, I'd be very afraid.

Man I sure hope Herm drafts O linemen this time.

royalswin100games
03-10-2008, 05:12 PM
Man I sure hope Herm drafts O linemen this time.

:toast2:

royalswin100games
03-10-2008, 05:13 PM
That didn't work the way I wanted it to.

texaschief
03-10-2008, 10:06 PM

I think it's funny you post the same "wrong" comments that I've been saying about Olinemen in free agency as if you've never heard them before, but because these other two guys are saying it, it's ok. :funnypost:

hermhater
03-10-2008, 10:33 PM
I think it's funny you post the same "wrong" comments that I've been saying about Olinemen in free agency as if you've never heard them before, but because these other two guys are saying it, it's ok. :funnypost:

First off I agree with them about Drafting either Clady or Otah if Long is unavailable.

What I don't agree with them about is that we cannot afford an O lineman or to even talk to one during FA.

Also I think they are wrong about O lineman being overvalued in the draft.

If those are the issues you say we are disagreeing about let me know your feelings on them and we will see.

royalswin100games
03-10-2008, 10:36 PM
First off I agree with them about Drafting either Clady or Otah if Long is unavailable.

What I don't agree with them about is that we cannot afford an O lineman or to even talk to one during FA.

Also I think they are wrong about O lineman being overvalued in the draft.

If those are the issues you say we are disagreeing about let me know your feelings on them and we will see.

Feelings? Feelings get hurt. Opinions because everybody has one.

I disagree with drafting Otah there and I think Clady is also a reach. This according to what I've read.

:11:

hermhater
03-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Feelings? Feelings get hurt. Opinions because everybody has one.

I disagree with drafting Otah there and I think Clady is also a reach. This according to what I've read.

If you are drafting to rebuild and need O lineman, then go and draft a running back when you are already paying LJ huge coin that is ridiculous.

Where exactly are we supposed to get these O lineman we all agree we need?

FA being a bust for that position leaves us with the same guys we had last year.

If those guys are rated near the top of their position why would you let them go to pick crappy ones in the later rounds?

I'm not a huge believer in taking the best on the board crap.

There are rarely more than 1 or 2 franchise players coming out of the draft in the first 10 picks, and guess what? We pick at number five.

royalswin100games
03-10-2008, 10:51 PM
If you are drafting to rebuild and need O lineman, then go and draft a running back when you are already paying LJ huge coin that is ridiculous.

Where exactly are we supposed to get these O lineman we all agree we need?

FA being a bust for that position leaves us with the same guys we had last year.

If those guys are rated near the top of their position why would you let them go to pick crappy ones in the later rounds?

I'm not a huge believer in taking the best on the board crap.

There are rarely more than 1 or 2 franchise players coming out of the draft in the first 10 picks, and guess what? We pick at number five.

I think we should trade the pick and try to get the best value for the pick if Long is gone. If we get a later first round pick, we can still get Otah, Williams, Cherilus, or Albert. Best case scenario maybe we can get o-line and db out of the way in the first round. We could also trade the pick for a current player. Just trying to be the best armchair GM. CP makes the decisions.

hermhater
03-10-2008, 11:02 PM
I think we should trade the pick and try to get the best value for the pick if Long is gone. If we get a later first round pick, we can still get Otah, Williams, Cherilus, or Albert. Best case scenario maybe we can get o-line and db out of the way in the first round. We could also trade the pick for a current player. Just trying to be the best armchair GM. CP makes the decisions.

So you believe if the best two players in the draft are gone, you just say screw it and give away the fifth pick?

What if Long is available and we have already gotten rid of the pick? Then how good of a decision is that?

royalswin100games
03-10-2008, 11:07 PM
So you believe if the best two players in the draft are gone, you just say screw it and give away the fifth pick?

What if Long is available and we have already gotten rid of the pick? Then how good of a decision is that?

I don't think we should trade the pick if Long is available. Plus, you aren't giving away the pick, you're trading for value.

hermhater
03-10-2008, 11:11 PM
I don't think we should trade the pick if Long is available. Plus, you aren't giving away the pick, you're trading for value.

When I said giving away the 5th pick I understood that we get what both parties agree is equal value, my point was you give away the ability to get the best O lineman left.

Are all negotiations done directly before our pick or would another team want us to decide before Long was picked?

royalswin100games
03-10-2008, 11:14 PM
When I said giving away the 5th pick I understood that we get what both parties agree is equal value, my point was you give away the ability to get the best O lineman left.

Are all negotiations done directly before our pick or would another team want us to decide before Long was picked?

That depends on what Carl wants to do. You can trade while you're on the clock.

hermhater
03-10-2008, 11:16 PM
That depends on what Carl wants to do. You can trade while you're on the clock.

I know you can trade while on the clock my question was could another team make us trade before we got on the clock, just in case Long is available and they don't want us to change our minds?

If that happened and we missed out on Long I would be pissed.

If that is not a possibility then I think it wouldn't be completely moronic to trade the pick.

chief31
03-11-2008, 06:17 AM

Basically, you get a deal set-up for the hypothetical situations. Maybe Cincinnati wants DT Glen Dorsey real bad. Then we agree that IF Long is gone, and IF Dorsey is still available, then we WILL make a deal that we have already agreed upon as far as compensation.

Then, wait and see if that scenario occurs.

You can have several different deals lined-up, with several differnet teams, then whichever scenarios may be available when your pick comes up, choose the one that you like best.

hermhater
03-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Basically, you get a deal set-up for the hypothetical situations. Maybe Cincinnati wants DT Glen Dorsey real bad. Then we agree that IF Long is gone, and IF Dorsey is still available, then we WILL make a deal that we have already agreed upon as far as compensation.

Then, wait and see if that scenario occurs.

You can have several different deals lined-up, with several differnet teams, then whichever scenarios may be available when your pick comes up, choose the one that you like best.

In that case I could see the reasoning behind a trade, but I still like taking the best O lineman available at number 5.

Reaching is reaching no matter where you do it.

texaschief
03-11-2008, 03:29 PM
In that case I could see the reasoning behind a trade, but I still like taking the best O lineman available at number 5.

Reaching is reaching no matter where you do it.

but if you can avoid reaching while picking up that same player, let's say 10 picks later while picking up additional picks later in the draft, why wouldn't you do it?

DrunkHillbilly
03-11-2008, 05:25 PM
I agree with royals. I think if Long is already gone, we should work a deal with someone and trade that pick. I have already said I think Clady is a reach but.....On the other hand, I am sort of a fan of taking the best available talent. People always want what you have so if you have the ability to pick a player that you know for sure teams will be willing to negotiate for, maybe you should take him. Who the hell knows? There is sooooo much going on that I feel none of us know about it's silly!

Chiefster
03-11-2008, 11:01 PM
I counted at least five guys here talking about the draft.

royalswin100games
03-11-2008, 11:03 PM

:lol:

hermhater
03-12-2008, 04:45 AM
but if you can avoid reaching while picking up that same player, let's say 10 picks later while picking up additional picks later in the draft, why wouldn't you do it?

R you saying we could get Clady in the 7th round?

I agree with royals. I think if Long is already gone, we should work a deal with someone and trade that pick. I have already said I think Clady is a reach but.....On the other hand, I am sort of a fan of taking the best available talent. People always want what you have so if you have the ability to pick a player that you know for sure teams will be willing to negotiate for, maybe you should take him. Who the hell knows? There is sooooo much going on that I feel none of us know about it's silly!

Hmmmm...

Negotiations.

I could hear more and not puke.

You're still reading the name of the threads as you respond I see.

Efficiency is still not your strong point, I see.

Chiefster
03-12-2008, 08:17 AM
R you saying we could get Clady in the 7th round?

Hmmmm...

Negotiations.

I could hear more and not puke.

You're still reading the name of the threads as you respond I see.

Efficiency is still not your strong point, I see.

You assume that when I come a crossed one of your threads that I care. :p
j/k

hermhater
03-12-2008, 01:27 PM
You assume that when I come a crossed one of your threads that I care. :p
j/k

Without me old man, you wouldn't have any threads to come across!

Chiefster
03-12-2008, 10:51 PM
Without me old man, you would have meaningful threads to come across!

FYR! :D

j/k

hermhater
03-14-2008, 05:00 AM

j/k

Moching me?

Chiefster
03-15-2008, 07:46 PM
Moching me?

One must go with ones strengths. :D

hermhater
03-16-2008, 05:50 AM
One must go with ones strengths. :D

I drink milk so I have many strengths.

One of those strengths is being able to respond to almost any worthless junk.

:biggrin:

Chiefster
03-17-2008, 09:14 PM

:biggrin:

You have displayed enormous talent to do so.

hermhater
03-18-2008, 04:04 AM

I'm still way behind you.

:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
03-21-2008, 05:09 PM

...But, closing quickly. :bananen_smilies046:

hermhater
03-22-2008, 08:40 PM

Not fast enough!!!

More posts!!!!

Chiefster
03-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Not fast enough!!!

More posts!!!!

Why not.

hermhater
03-23-2008, 02:39 AM
Why not.

Let me see if my math is correct.

I post something + Chiefster posts something after me = how do i win?

Canada
03-23-2008, 09:02 AM

Trust me...with you two posting, no one wins!! :D

hermhater
03-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Trust me...with you two posting, no one wins!! :D

See that Chiefster?

If we keep posting the terrorists can't win!

:yahoo:

AkChief49
03-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Wow! looks to me like you should catch Chiefster in the next 2 months. Did you not just have a 10,00oth post party?

hermhater
03-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Wow! looks to me like you should catch Chiefster in the next 2 months. Did you not just have a 10,00oth post party?

Did I?

Sweet!

I must have been drunk, I don't remember it!

Looks like I just busted 13,000...

Chiefster watch your back! :cool:

Chiefster
03-24-2008, 12:57 AM
Did I?

Sweet!

Meh. :p

Canada
03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Without me old man, you wouldn't have any threads to come across!

j/k

Moching me?

One must go with ones strengths.

Not fast enough!!!

More posts!!!!

Why not.

See that Chiefster?

If we keep posting the terrorists can't win!

:yahoo:

Did I?

Sweet!

Meh. :p

See....no one wins!! :p

Chiefster
03-24-2008, 10:48 AM

I didn't know it was a contest. :p

Canada
03-24-2008, 10:49 AM

mmmm hmmmm....whores :p Now stop posting for five minutes. I have to go and I keep getting one unread post and I can't leave!! :D

Chiefster
03-24-2008, 10:52 AM
mmmm hmmmm....whores :p Now stop posting for five minutes. I have to go and I keep getting one unread post and I can't leave!! :D

:lol: :lol:

Ok. :p

hermhater
03-24-2008, 12:23 PM

I'd hate to be on the other end of that 911 call!

Canada
03-24-2008, 12:24 PM
I'd hate to be on the other end of that 911 call!

I would hate it if I had to pick your drunk *** up too!! :D

hermhater
03-24-2008, 12:33 PM
I would hate it if I had to pick your drunk *** up too!! :D

I'm not drunk...

Just really, really sore!

Chiefster
03-24-2008, 12:36 PM
YouTube - Funny 911 call

hermhater
03-24-2008, 12:49 PM
YouTube - Funny 911 call (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uEbEZmOK-U)

"I didn't mean the POLICE!"

Chiefster
03-25-2008, 08:26 PM
"I didn't mean the POLICE!"

I laughed my butt off.

hermhater
03-25-2008, 08:35 PM
I laughed my butt off.

Me too!

Stupid kids!

Chiefster
03-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Me too!

Stupid kids!

They're born that way; they can't help it.

hermhater
03-25-2008, 09:45 PM
They're born that way; they can't help it.

I guess the only way to learn is to fall down the half pipe!

Chiefster
03-25-2008, 09:55 PM
I guess the only way to learn is to smoke the bong pipe!

FYR! :p

hermhater
03-25-2008, 09:57 PM
FYR! :p

Thanks guy!

It sure needed fixin'!!!

Chiefster
03-25-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks guy!

It sure needed fixin'!!!

That'll be $1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

hermhater
03-26-2008, 01:38 AM
That'll be $1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

That's more than I spent on my plumber when the crapper backed up.

:scared2:

Canada
03-26-2008, 12:58 PM
So is there a bong here or no??

hermhater
03-26-2008, 01:00 PM
So is there a bong here or no??

Chiefster is bogarting it!

:D

Canada
03-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Chiefster is bogarting it!

:D

SON OF A @#%!% Gimme the bong old man!!!

Chiefster
03-27-2008, 01:43 AM

...Not for light weights such as yourself. :11:

Canada
03-27-2008, 03:39 PM

I will break you hip old man river:character00264:...now GIMME THE BONG!! :drunkhb:

hermhater
03-27-2008, 03:47 PM

I will break you hip old man river:character00264:...now GIMME THE BONG!! :drunkhb:

This is funny!

Chiefster took Canada's bong and won't give it back!

rbedgood
03-27-2008, 08:08 PM
This is funny!

Chiefster...better be careful, you might have to take a drug test with the new position!?

Chiefster
03-28-2008, 08:29 PM

Heh! Do yer worst! :11:

This is funny!

Possession is nine-tenths of the law!

Chiefster...better be careful, you might have to take a drug test with the new position!?

Oh Geeeeeeeeeeezzzzzz!!!!!!!!!! :scared2: :SHOCKED: :inwc: