PDA

View Full Version : Brad Roach gets a call from the Chiefs.

hermhater
03-31-2008, 07:25 PM
I wonder if we could steal this guy in the 3rd or 4th round.

Roach gearing up for NFL Draft
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor

It’s a good thing Brad Roach doesn’t mind people looking at him.
Several eyes have been on the former Williamston High School and Catawba College standout as he prepares for the upcoming NFL Draft, which will be held April 26-27 in New York City. Roach is patiently waiting for draft day, though he admits he’s getting a bit anxious.

“It feels like it’s taking forever to get here,” Roach said. “I’m definitely excited about it. It kind of depends on where my future goes.”

The 6-6, 248-pound All-American quarterback, who has already earned a degree in sports management, opened some eyes after he performed well during a pair of Pro Days. Roach’s latest stint came at Catawba College in front of Chris Palmer, the quarterbacks coach for the Super Bowl champion New York Giants.

Roach, who has had correspondence from the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens, is getting accustomed to the attention.

“I’m kind of used to it now,” said Roach, moments after getting off the phone with a representative from the Kansas City Chiefs. “I don’t stress over it. I just try to go out there and do my thing.”

Roach, the South Atlantic Conference Player of the Year, will get another test when he heads to Houston on Thursday for a private meeting with the Texans. He’s expecting to meet the coaches, watch game film and possibly have a full-body physical while in Houston.

“It feels great,” said Roach, who will stay at his family’s home and work out in Washington leading up to the draft. “It’s a step in the right direction for me. Hopefully, I can open up some more eyes.”

Roach’s agent, Robert Walker, the CEO of Charlotte-based US Sports Management, believes his client has a great shot to play in the NFL.

“I think he has a tremendous upside,” Walker said. “He has the demeanor of a quarterback. He’s maturing in every way and he’s still growing into his body.

“He sees the field well and he can go to his third and fourth receivers well. He has an extremely strong arm.”

Roach, who participated in the Division II Cactus Bowl All-Star game, put up big numbers his senior season in leading the Indians to a playoff victory. He completed 224 of 376 (59.6 percent) passes for 3,322 yards and 32 touchdown passes.

The former co-captain of the Catawba Indians, who guided his team to an 11-2 record, completed 608 of 1,099 passes (55.3 percent) for 7,874 yards and 62 touchdown passes in his career. He also ran for 138 yards and six scores.

Roach set a handful of records during his career at Catawba. He holds the school record for passing yards in a season (3,322 in 2007), touchdown passes in a season (32 in 2007), touchdown passes in a game (five against Albany State in 2007), completions in a season (224 in 2007), efficiency rating in a season (153.4 in 2007) and passing attempts in a season (384 in 2005).

Those numbers, and his performances during the Pro Days, may help Roach hear his name get called during the NFL Draft. If Roach’s name doesn’t get called during those two days, Walker believes the quarterback will get a good shot as a free agent.

“At this point, you’re always hopeful to get drafted,” Walker said. “There’s also a downside to the draft. If you get drafted late, say the fifth, sixth or seventh round, you’ll be stuck going to that team. If you’re a free agent, you can look at your options. If Brad is a free agent, I think there will be 32 teams that will be knocking on our door.

“Quarterbacks are very unique. Sometimes those that get drafted in the first, second or third round don’t always pan out. Look at some others who got drafted late and they had great careers.”

While several NFL teams are reportedly interested in Roach, not many are making it official.

“They like to hold their cards close to their vest,” Walker said. “It’s kind of like a cat-and-mouse game.”

At least one scout compares Roach favorably to Delaware's Joe Flacco, a 6-7 quarterback who is projected as a second-round pick.

“Brad has everything going for him,” Walker said. “The team that gets him will get a steal. He has all the intangibles and he has the leadership to be a great NFL quarterback.”

Just knowing that teams are showing interest is the step in the right direction.

“It feels good,” Roach said. “I’m just hoping for a shot.”

http://www.wdnweb.com/articles/2008/03/31/sports/sports02.txt

Chiefster
03-31-2008, 08:32 PM
It’s a good thing Brad Roach doesn’t mind people looking at him.
Several eyes have been on the former Williamston High School and Catawba College standout as he prepares for the upcoming NFL Draft, which will be held April 26-27 in New York City. Roach is patiently waiting for draft day, though he admits he’s getting a bit anxious.

Where is that?

Canada
03-31-2008, 08:36 PM
Where is that?

www.googlemaps.com (http://www.googlemaps.com)

hermhater
03-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Where is that?

That's an excellent question!

www.googlemaps.com (http://www.googlemaps.com)

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/03/139.jpg

Chiefster
03-31-2008, 09:07 PM
That's an excellent question!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/03/139.jpg

Interesting. Division 2 prospect; I wonder how well he would adjust to the NFL?

hermhater
03-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Interesting. Division 2 prospect; I wonder how well he would adjust to the NFL?

From what I have read, rather well.

The dude is almost as tall as Brohm and is said to have the same arm.

We will just have to wait until texaschief reads the thread and tells us what to think.

:D

Chiefster
03-31-2008, 09:20 PM

We will just have to wait until texaschief reads the thread and tells us what to think.

I'll take my glasses off and think what I want to.

DMN
03-31-2008, 10:15 PM
that is seriously about 30 minutes north of me. I will tell you what. I will drive up there, throw the ball around for a while, and then go get a beer and talk to him.

hermhater
03-31-2008, 10:19 PM
that is seriously about 30 minutes north of me. I will tell you what. I will drive up there, throw the ball around for a while, and then go get a beer and talk to him.

Do it dude!

Let us know what kind of arm he's got!

:yahoo:

Coach
03-31-2008, 10:19 PM

Ask him if he is color-blind like Croyle.

hermhater
03-31-2008, 10:28 PM
It sounds like he is getting a lot of interest to me.

I hope we can get him late in the draft.

Coach
03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Are you serious? :sign0153:

I had not heard that.

No, Im not serious. I'm just making that assumption based on Brodie not being able to tell which team he is throwing the ball to.

royalswin100games
03-31-2008, 10:37 PM
No, Im not serious. I'm just making that assumption based on Brodie not being able to tell which team he is throwing the ball to.

Ouch.

:lol:

hermhater
03-31-2008, 10:56 PM
Ask him if he is color-blind like Croyle.

It sounds like he is getting a lot of interest to me.

I hope we can get him late in the draft.

I figured out what you meant and tried to change my response in time.

Oops!

Good analysis though!

:lol:

Three7s
04-01-2008, 12:49 AM
That should be the new insult for interception-happy QBs!

texaschief
04-01-2008, 01:03 AM

We already have a late round QB to compete with Croyle. If he is still available in the 6th or 7th, then i might consider it. I guess i just don't feel all that great when we've got a 3rd rounder competing with a couple late rounders for the starting QB spot while all 3 of our division rivals have a first rounder heading up their team...but hey, who knows.

Three7s
04-01-2008, 01:05 AM
We already have a late round QB to compete with Croyle. If he is still available in the 6th or 7th, then i might consider it. I guess i just don't feel all that great when we've got a 3rd rounder competing with a couple late rounders for the starting QB spot while all 3 of our division rivals have a first rounder heading up their team...but hey, who knows.
We're still hoping for our Tom Brady.

texaschief
04-01-2008, 01:07 AM

We've been waiting for how long now? How many times have we taken a QB in the first round again? This crap is getting old. Can we please get a leader on this team? That'd be great.

Three7s
04-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Haha, that was sarcasm, since the Pats got Brady in the 6th round. I fully agree with you!

hermhater
04-01-2008, 01:11 AM

If the kid is available at/near the end of the draft I say gamble on him.

If there's one thing that is a constant with Herm it's that whoever he's coaching for needs depth at QB!

:mob:

hermhater
04-01-2008, 01:14 AM

We've been waiting for how long now? How many times have we taken a QB in the first round again? This crap is getting old. Can we please get a leader on this team? That'd be great.

Haha, that was sarcasm, since the Pats got Brady in the 6th round. I fully agree with you!

I got the sarcasm dude and so did texaschief (even though he is from Texas)!

We have had a leader at QB until Trent got knocked out 2 years ago.

We need to have a QB that can stay on the field for 16 games. Not saying Brodie is fragile or that Huard is old, just that whoever is back there is gonna get steamrolled early and often!

:bananen_smilies046:

anaeelbackwards
04-01-2008, 01:17 AM
I got the sarcasm dude and so did texaschief (even though he is from Texas)!

We have had a leader at QB until Trent got knocked out 2 years ago.

We need to have a QB that can stay on the field for 16 games. Not saying Brodie is fragile or that Huard is old, just that whoever is back there is gonna get steamrolled early and often!

:bananen_smilies046:

2 words dude.

CASEY PRINTERS!

canada can bring him down forthe home opener.

texaschief
04-01-2008, 01:18 AM
if we take this kid, he might be a little tougher to break. This guy is a big, Dante Culpepper body type, QB.

texaschief
04-01-2008, 01:18 AM
2 words dude.

CASEY PRINTERS!

no...no

hermhater
04-01-2008, 01:22 AM
2 words dude.

CASEY PRINTERS!

no...no

He was the best chance for the Chiefs last year with no friggin' O line, we should have kept him.

anaeelbackwards
04-01-2008, 01:23 AM
chicken salad anyone?

texaschief
04-01-2008, 01:27 AM
He was the best chance for the Chiefs last year with no friggin' O line, we should have kept him.

I agree with this. But...BUT if we are truly building for the future, is Casey (can't find another NFL gig) Printers really the guy you want to build around?

Umm, no. No "quick fixes" thank you. If this is the guy y'all want, you might as well go get McNabb for real.

hermhater
04-01-2008, 01:29 AM
I agree with this. But...BUT if we are truly building for the future, is Casey (can't find another NFL gig) Printers really the guy you want to build around?

Umm, no. No "quick fixes" thank you. If this is the guy y'all want, you might as well go get McNabb for real.

What are you talking about "y'all"? Aren't you part of this discussion?

I am not looking for a quick fix, but Printers was much better equipped to deal with Herms offensive failures than a pocket QB.

anaeelbackwards
04-01-2008, 01:33 AM
anyone hear of the word sarcasm?

i was just joking about casey printers.

YZILLA
04-01-2008, 01:35 AM
All I gotta say is tell me , If brodie Was a Free Agent right now , What team would pick him up for a Starting Quarterback spot.

hermhater
04-01-2008, 01:39 AM
anyone hear of the word sarcasm?

i was just joking about casey printers.

I got the sarcasm, but he would have been the best shot for the Chiefs winning 8 games with Herm last year.

All I gotta say is tell me , If brodie Was a Free Agent right now , What team would pick him up for a Starting Quarterback spot.

None because he hasn't proven himself yet.

I doubt that he will get the chance with Herm at the helm though.

texaschief
04-01-2008, 01:48 AM
I got the sarcasm, but he would have been the best shot for the Chiefs winning 8 games with Herm last year.

None because he hasn't proven himself yet.

I doubt that he will get the chance with Herm at the helm though.

I don't know, from what i hear, he's workin his *** off to earn that spot. I don't think it matters what happens during the draft of spring/pre season, Brodie will more than likely be the starter beginning next season. If we do take a QB, it will be to provide competition to make Croyle EARN the spot....which is why we will probably see a QB taken between the 3rd and 6th rounds...(WHICH I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH).

Brodie will get his shot. The big test was what Chan Gailey thought of him. If after watching a bunch of film on Brodie and Matt Ryan, if Ryan has the edge on Brodie at all....and he's still on the board at #5, KC could very well take their franchise QB at #5. It all comes down to Chan. He's met with Brodie and he's watched Matt play in the ACC the last few years. It's going to be interesting.

hermhater
04-01-2008, 02:17 AM
I don't know, from what i hear, he's workin his *** off to earn that spot. I don't think it matters what happens during the draft of spring/pre season, Brodie will more than likely be the starter beginning next season. If we do take a QB, it will be to provide competition to make Croyle EARN the spot....which is why we will probably see a QB taken between the 3rd and 6th rounds...(WHICH I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH).

Brodie will get his shot. The big test was what Chan Gailey thought of him. If after watching a bunch of film on Brodie and Matt Ryan, if Ryan has the edge on Brodie at all....and he's still on the board at #5, KC could very well take their franchise QB at #5. It all comes down to Chan. He's met with Brodie and he's watched Matt play in the ACC the last few years. It's going to be interesting.

From what you just stated you are assuming that Herm is going to give Chan full run of the offense.

Is that what you mean?

texaschief
04-01-2008, 03:25 AM
From what you just stated you are assuming that Herm is going to give Chan full run of the offense.

Is that what you mean?

yes.

hermhater
04-01-2008, 03:46 AM
yes.

Is Chan really that good?

I hope he can put us back at the top of the league in Offense!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

texaschief
04-01-2008, 04:12 AM
Is Chan really that good?

I hope he can put us back at the top of the league in Offense!

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I've taken Herm at his word. He hasn't done anything during his career to make me think he's dishonest. I think he gave Solari full control of the offense too. Solari couldn't deliver, so he was fired. I think a lot of the offense's problems last season were due to them just getting old. They couldn't do what they used to.

I think Herm knows enough about himself that he can't run an offense. He knows what kind of offense he would like to run, but i just don't believe ANY head coach would walk in, look at one of the best offenses in the league and say "we're going to change things here." He said he'd give Larry the rock, and he did...416 times.

I think the best thing about the Gailey/Herm marriage is that Herm has brought in a guy who isn't set in only ONE WAY to run an offense. He's shown before that he can build an offense around the talent, not talent around an offense.

I think you're going to see a run-heavy/play action offense not because that's necessarily what Herm wants, but because the RB and TE positions are where the current team play makers are located. You might see some down field passing with Bowe, but right now, the Chiefs just don't have the QB or the WRs to be the Bengals or the Pats.

You're gonna see LJ,LJ,TE/ LJ,LJ,LJ/ LJ,LJ,BOWE type of play calling. Even if we got another super WR in the draft, i don't think much will change right now because of the QB spot.

Three7s
04-01-2008, 04:23 AM
If we make all of the right moves, and everything works, and Chan is all that, I think we could get up into the middle of the pack in most offensive statistics. I, personally, would be thrilled with that after last season. Of course, I'm a pessimist.

texaschief
04-01-2008, 04:34 AM
If we make all of the right moves, and everything works, and Chan is all that, I think we could get up into the middle of the pack in most offensive statistics. I, personally, would be thrilled with that after last season. Of course, I'm a pessimist.

I honestly think we'll be above .500 next year. If we're winning 9 games, we're in the playoff picture. I don't think we're that far off. Of course a lot depends on the draft too. lol

hermhater
04-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Come on draft day!

Hurry up and get here!

:yahoo: