PDA

View Full Version : Top Story on the front page...

Chiefster
04-16-2007, 01:10 AM
Chiefs’ All-Pro guard Shields announces his retirement.

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

I'm sooooo sad!!!! :(

Chiefster
04-16-2007, 01:15 AM
And now we have another Willie Roaf type hole to fill on the "O" line!

Chiefster
04-16-2007, 01:17 AM
From Will's web site:

http://www.willtosucceed.org/ (http://www.willtosucceed.org/)

THANK YOU KANSAS CITY!!!

Everyday I count the blessings that have been bestowed upon my family and me. Each day I am thankful that I was drafted by the Kansas City Chiefs and think of all the people who have supported the team, our family’s foundation, and me. This community is like no other when it comes to support. Fourteen years sure fly by when you get to do what you love. The love for the game never decreased but, as the years passed, the physical requirements of the game became harder to fulfill each and every day. If it was up to me I would play football forever but, as we all know, that is unrealistic.

However, I do hope to always be connected to the game in some capacity. The decision to hang up my cleats has not been an easy one to make for me but one I knew I would eventually have to make. Today, I am letting everyone know that I am putting away my pads.

First, I would like to thank the guys who came before me…who paved the way for me to have an opportunity to play in this league….I thank my parents, brother, and sister for their unwavering love….I thank the guys who have fought beside me to try to fulfill the ultimate dream…..I thank my coaches from Lawton High who saw potential in me and gave me the first shot at a little boy’s dream…..I thank my coaches at the University of Nebraska who let a young kid play as a freshman….and I thank the Kansas City Chiefs for allowing me to dance in the most exciting stadium in the NFL….I thank the Hunt family for their support through the years and last, but not least, I thank my number one fan base, my wonderful wife and children.

I am looking forward to a future filled with sports in mind. Whether it is in the stands, on the sideline, in the press box or in a office--football will remain in my blood. My best wishes to all and I hope to see you soon

Thank you again, for all your support.

Will Shields
April 15, 2007

kenny1937
04-16-2007, 02:46 AM
And now we have another Willie Roaf type hole to fill on the "O" line!

Yes, will the bleeding ever stop, sigh!

:bananen_smilies028:

Cisco Kid
04-16-2007, 02:50 AM
No, not for some time. Actually, one might wonder if Shields retiring might have an affect on C Casey Wiegmann future as well?

kenny1937
04-16-2007, 03:27 AM
No, not for some time. Actually, one might wonder if Shields retiring might have an affect on C Casey Wiegmann future as well?

That is something to think about Cisco, makes you wonder what the next headline will be.

Cisco Kid
04-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Well the next headline I would like to see is as follows:

"Chiefs Trade QB Green to Miami"...The Chiefs have agree to trade QB Trent Green along with pick #2/54 to the Miami Dolphins in return for the Dolphins second round pick #40.

Now the Chiefs can take care of the pressing business at hand...

CHIEFS TOP DRAFT SELECTIONS

#1/23 RG Justin Blalock
#2/40 C Ryan Kalil

No brainer!!!

Cisco Kid
04-16-2007, 06:07 AM
Well the next headline I would like to see is as follows:

"Chiefs Trade QB Green to Miami"...The Chiefs have agree to trade QB Trent Green along with pick #2/54 to the Miami Dolphins in return for the Dolphins second round pick #40.

Now the Chiefs can take care of the pressing business at hand...

CHIEFS TOP DRAFT SELECTIONS

#1/23 RG Justin Blalock
#2/40 C Ryan Kalil

No brainer!!!

Q: Do you have any indication from Will Shields what is future plans are?
EDWARDS: “No, I really don’t. He was overseas and he’s back now. He’ll come talk to Carl (Peterson) and talk to me and tell us exactly where he’s at.”
Q: Do you need to know before the draft?
EDWARDS: “No, not at all. There’s no hurry. We’re going to draft good players. If there’s a good guard there and we like him we’re going to draft him whether Will is back or not.”

There you have it, directly from the coach himself...RG Justin Blalock is that "good guard" and will be available with the #23 pick of the 1st round. Concerned that this isn't a value pick? Hog-wash...The Chiefs top need is a replacement for Shields and Blalock is the #1 rated guard in the draft.

Cisco Kid
04-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Justin Blalock, OG, Texas (http://www.warroomreport.com/draft/rankings/og/blalock.htm) (29th Overall) - The highest score on the Wonderlic test and one of the the strongest players in the draft, Blalock is as a close to a sure thing as you get. An experienced and versatile player from a premier university, Blalock also plays one of the easiest to project positions. For any team that needs a sturdy guard, Blalock is a very safe pick, maybe the safest in the entire draft.

Enough said!

Cisco Kid
04-16-2007, 06:27 AM
Offensive Guard | Senior | Texas
Justin BlalockHeight: 6-31/4 | Weight: 320 | 40-Time: 5.10 http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerphotos/og/justinblalock.jpg
Official Bio (http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=6)

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/images/stars/four.gif Strengths:
Outstanding size and bulk...Good athleticism, quickness and balance...Very strong and powerful...Stout at the point and does not get pushed back...Will overwhelm defensive linemen at the point...Has a great initial punch...Moves well...Smart and a hard worker with top intangibles...Terrific run blocker and a road grader...Nasty and plays with a killer instinct...Is versatile...Durable and has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great feet and his footwork needs refinement...Needs to play with more consistent leverage...Is not yet a great technician and still relies too heavily on his natural talent...A better run than pass blocker...His range is only average.

Notes:
Was a four-year starter...Played right tackle for most of his career but saw some action at guard as a senior...Will probably move inside to guard at the next level but he could potentially play tackle as well...One of the better prospects to come along at his position in a while and he is the rare guard with first round potential.

Cisco Kid
04-16-2007, 06:31 AM
Ryan Kalil Height: 6-23/4 | Weight: 299 | 40-Time: 4.96 http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/playerphotos/c/ryankalil.jpg
Official Bio (http://usctrojans.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/kalil_ryan00.html)

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/ Strengths:
Good quickness...Moves well and has great range...Is extremely smart with great football instincts and is like a coach along the offensive line...Still has the frame to pack on some additional pounds...Does a nice job in pass protection...Is tough, a hard worker and a leader with top-notch intangibles...Excellent technician...Just a steady, all-around player who has a ton of experience against elite competition.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great size or bulk...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger...Not very stout at the point and will get pushed back at times...Struggles with massive defensive tackles who will overpower and bull rush him...He is not overly athletic.

Notes:
Father, Frank, was a center at Arkansas (1978) and Arizona (1980-81-82), who was then drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1982 before playing for the USFL's Arizona Wranglers in 1983 and Houston Gamblers in 1984...One of the top pivots in the country the last couple of years...Consistent player who has seen it all and makes up for what he lacks in physical tools and measurables with brains and technique.

Chiefster
04-16-2007, 08:36 AM
I did some editing so that peoples first questioun won't be: "What's his name?" :)

wolfpack
04-16-2007, 10:26 AM
this retirement can be handled better than roaf`s. RG isnt LT. although improtant it isnt protecting the blind side of the QB. plus they have been expecting this. welborn,although not a sheilds type player, will fill in alright.

Chiefster
04-16-2007, 10:28 AM

I think it was rumored over the radio that his return was 50/50.

Cisco Kid
04-17-2007, 12:51 AM
this retirement can be handled better than roaf`s. RG isnt LT. although improtant it isnt protecting the blind side of the QB. plus they have been expecting this. welborn,although not a sheilds type player, will fill in alright.

I'd be more than just a little concerned about putting all those eggs (QB health) in the Welbourn basket. Granted he might be an adequate short term replacement, but can he really be counted on? This is the same John Welbourn that was suspended the first four games of the 2005 season for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs? Or the John Welbourn that announced his retirement 15 June of 2006 to enroll in law school, "...it's exciting to think I'll be starting a whole new chapter in my life." And the same John Welbourn who it was reported was unhappy that the Chiefs would not renegotiate his contract prior to his retirement? Or the John Welbourn spoken of in Herman Edwards press conference listed below...

Q: Was John Welbourn suspended or did he retire?

EDWARDS: “At one time he retired, I believe, and then he wanted to be reinstated. Then he was suspended.”

Q: So he retired because he was going to be suspended?

EDWARDS: “You’d have to ask Welbourn that.”

Q: How does a guy who has left under those circumstances get back with his teammates?

EDWARDS: “Do you have kids?”

Q: No.

EDWARDS: “I have one who’s grown up already and two little girls and they’re not old enough to make mistakes where they know any better. But when they do, hopefully, if they make two of them I don’t get rid of them.

“I just think players make mistakes because they’re human. When they do you have to take a stand and say what you want to do with the guy. Do you want to say that since you’ve made some mistakes in your life that you can’t play on this team anymore?

“He hurt the team; he hurt his reputation because of the accusations that came along. But no one knows what happened. But then you look at it and say he’s done those things and he’s paid a price for it, too, because everyone’s talking about that player. So, you have to make a decision as a coach if it’s a distraction to your team, what kind of teammate was he, was he a distraction when he was here? Did he work hard when he was here? Yeah. Is he a good football player? Yeah. Is he hard to handle? No, not hard to handle, comes to work every day on time, made a bad decision or two. So then you have to decide if you want him back. At this point I want him back.
“I don’t know John, to be quite honest. When I got here John was here, but the last time I talked to him I was walking down the hall at the end of practice one day. The next thing I knew he was retiring two days later and now he’s back. That’s good for us and I think it’s good for him. Hopefully, he’s learned his lesson by sitting out. Hopefully, he can come back and help us.”

Any thoughts about Chris Bober or Tre' Stalling?

Cisco Kid
04-17-2007, 12:53 AM
I did some editing so that peoples first questioun won't be: "What's his name?" :)

Thanks! I was having some computer issues last night and things weren't exactly going smoothly.

stlchief
04-17-2007, 12:54 AM
If this guy is money in the bank, how is he going to be sitting there @ #23?

Cisco Kid
04-17-2007, 01:16 AM

Right now he is projected to go in the late first or early second round, and that could be based on two factors; (1) teams drafting above the #23 pick have greater needs-not too many teams looking for a starter at RG this time of year, (2) Blalock played RT in college but is projected to move inside to RG, this transition might have dropped his stock somewhat.

HOWEVER...We are still more than a week away, and I would not be surprised to see mock draft boards making a final adjustment in which we could see Blalock move upwards closer to pick #23.

BTW...No player is "money in the bank".

Chiefster
04-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks! I was having some computer issues last night and things weren't exactly going smoothly.

No problem bud; it's what do. :D

Cisco Kid
04-17-2007, 04:57 AM
I think it was rumored over the radio that his return was 50/50.

Well here is the latest info (Provided by the Kansas City Star)...

The Chiefs had privately been fretting that center Casey Wiegmann may also walk away. But Wiegmann has been participating in the offseason workout program, and his agent, Joe Linta, indicated Wiegmann would play this season.
“He’s not retiring, no,” Linta said. “He’s all set to play. He wants to play three or four more years.”

No arguement from me on this, it would be a positive development that could allow for the growth of C Rudy Niswanger. But what if USC Center Ryan Kalil is on the board when the Chiefs select in the second round?

chief31
04-17-2007, 09:00 AM

One big factor is that no matter how good a guard is, it is very rare for a guard to be drafted in the first round, at all. Also, as previously stated, no player is "money in the bank".

chief31
04-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Offensive Guard | Senior | Texas
Justin BlalockHeight: 6-31/4 | Weight: 320 | 40-Time: 5.10 http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/
Official Bio (http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=6)

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/ Strengths:
Outstanding size and bulk...Good athleticism, quickness and balance...Very strong and powerful...Stout at the point and does not get pushed back...Will overwhelm defensive linemen at the point...Has a great initial punch...Moves well...Smart and a hard worker with top intangibles...Terrific run blocker and a road grader...Nasty and plays with a killer instinct...Is versatile...Durable and has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Does not have great feet and his footwork needs refinement...Needs to play with more consistent leverage...Is not yet a great technician and still relies too heavily on his natural talent...A better run than pass blocker...His range is only average.

Notes:
Was a four-year starter...Played right tackle for most of his career but saw some action at guard as a senior...Will probably move inside to guard at the next level but he could potentially play tackle as well...One of the better prospects to come along at his position in a while and he is the rare guard with first round potential.

I like this guy, alot. I would be happy to see the Chiefs draft him, in the first round. You just don't get away with losing a Willie Roaf and a Will Shields. You have to begin work, on your offensive line, immediately. Hopefully, the Chiefs will take this situation, more seriously than just signing Damien Macintosh.

wolfpack
04-17-2007, 09:48 AM
we`ll draft a corner well before we draft a guard. we have plenty of average guards around but dont have any young average corners. besides hermmie was a corner so hell draft a corner.

Chiefster
04-17-2007, 11:39 AM
I like this guy, alot. I would be happy to see the Chiefs draft him, in the first round. You just don't get away with losing a Willie Roaf and a Will Shields. You have to begin work, on your offensive line, immediately. Hopefully, the Chiefs will take this situation, more seriously than just signing Damien Macintosh.

I agree; this scenario would be a welcome sight for me, but...

we`ll draft a corner well before we draft a guard. we have plenty of average guards around but dont have any young average corners. besides hermmie was a corner so hell draft a corner.

...we'll probably go with defense knowing Herm.

Cisco Kid
04-18-2007, 02:40 AM
One big factor is that no matter how good a guard is, it is very rare for a guard to be drafted in the first round, at all. Also, as previously stated, no player is "money in the bank".

You seem to be in very good company with your position against drafting an OG in the first round. Yesterday on ESPN, NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper recommended that the Chiefs should draft WR Robert Meacham in the first round. He did have the Chiefs selecting RG Justin Blalock in the second round. But your thoughts also seem to be shared by the King himself, Carl Peterson...

They may add a lineman in the draft, though they have more pressing needs.

“Will we draft another offensive guard in the 2007 draft?” Peterson said. “Possibly, but I wouldn’t put it as our highest priority at this time.”
[K.C. Star]

But your statement about OGs not being selected in the first round cannot be supported:

2006 Tampa Bay #1/23 OG Davin Joseph/Oklahoma

2005 New England #1/32 OG Logan Mankins/Fresno State

2004 Philadelphia #1/16 OG Shawn Andrews/Arkansas

2003 Cincinnati #2/1 OG Eric Steinbach/Iowa

2002 Pittsburgh #1/30 OG Kendall Simmons/Auburn

2001 Seattle #1/17 OG Steve Hutchinson/Michigan

2000 Atlanta #2/37 OG Travis Claridge/USC

1999 New England #1/17 OG Damien Woody/Boston College
1999 Oakland #1/18 OG Matt Stinchcomb/Georgia

1998 Oakland #1/23 OG Mo Collins/Michigan
1998 Pittsburgh #1/26 OG Alan Faneca

1997 New Orleans #1/10 OG Chris Naeole/Colorado
1997 Green Bay #1/30 OG Ross Verba/Iowa

1996 Seattle #1/21 OG Pete Kendall/Boston College
1996 Philadelphia #1/25 OG Jermane Mayberry/Texas A&M Kingston

1995 Buffalo #1/14 OG Ruben Brown/Pitt

1994 Washington #2/31 OG Tre Johnson/Temple

1993 Philadelphia #1/19 OG Lester Holmes/Jackson State

1992 New England #1/13 OG Eugene Chung/Virginia Tech

1991 NONE

1990 NONE

kenny1937
04-18-2007, 02:54 AM

I agree Chiefster, Her Edwards (grin) has defense on the brain, Fooey, all we need a offense for is run, run, pass, punt, get close enough to kick field goals, and the defense will hold the other team scoreless, and that works so well that we have not been to a Super Bowl in forever, but Oh Well!! (grin)

:rollerskater: :character00293:

chief31
04-18-2007, 02:41 PM
That's sixteen first round guards, in sixteen years. Not as rare as I thought, yet I bet center is the only position with fewer first round selections. (Well, maybe K and P.)

timbok
04-18-2007, 02:43 PM
i sure hope they can find a good replacement for him

chief31
04-18-2007, 02:55 PM
You seem to be in very good company with your position against drafting an OG in the first round. Yesterday on ESPN, NFL Draft expert Mel Kiper recommended that the Chiefs should draft WR Robert Meacham in the first round. He did have the Chiefs selecting RG Justin Blalock in the second round. But your thoughts also seem to be shared by the King himself, Carl Peterson...

They may add a lineman in the draft, though they have more pressing needs.

“Will we draft another offensive guard in the 2007 draft?” Peterson said. “Possibly, but I wouldn’t put it as our highest priority at this time.”
[K.C. Star]

But your statement about OGs not being selected in the first round cannot be supported:

2006 Tampa Bay #1/23 OG Davin Joseph/Oklahoma

2005 New England #1/32 OG Logan Mankins/Fresno State

2004 Philadelphia #1/16 OG Shawn Andrews/Arkansas

2003 Cincinnati #2/1 OG Eric Steinbach/Iowa

2002 Pittsburgh #1/30 OG Kendall Simmons/Auburn

2001 Seattle #1/17 OG Steve Hutchinson/Michigan

2000 Atlanta #2/37 OG Travis Claridge/USC

1999 New England #1/17 OG Damien Woody/Boston College
1999 Oakland #1/18 OG Matt Stinchcomb/Georgia

1998 Oakland #1/23 OG Mo Collins/Michigan
1998 Pittsburgh #1/26 OG Alan Faneca

1997 New Orleans #1/10 OG Chris Naeole/Colorado
1997 Green Bay #1/30 OG Ross Verba/Iowa

1996 Seattle #1/21 OG Pete Kendall/Boston College
1996 Philadelphia #1/25 OG Jermane Mayberry/Texas A&M Kingston

1995 Buffalo #1/14 OG Ruben Brown/Pitt

1994 Washington #2/31 OG Tre Johnson/Temple

1993 Philadelphia #1/19 OG Lester Holmes/Jackson State

1992 New England #1/13 OG Eugene Chung/Virginia Tech

1991 NONE

1990 NONE

Well, that's sixteen first round guards, in sixteen years. Not as rare as I thought, but how many positions have fewer? Not gonna look it up, but I'd guess center; kicker and punter. Making guard a pretty rare, first round, choice, (by comparison)

Nice post, though. Good to see the facts shown.

Chiefster
04-18-2007, 07:36 PM

Yup; it works almost as well as having all offense and no defense.

Coach
04-21-2007, 01:06 PM
the clock is ticking. I can't wait till the draft.

Chiefster
04-21-2007, 01:09 PM
the clock is ticking. I can't wait till the draft.

I gotta work! :(

kenny1937
04-23-2007, 03:03 PM
I gotta work! :(

Want me to tape the Chief's pick, so you can see all the drama of our coach and GM's selection?

:character00135: :character00308:

wolfpack
04-23-2007, 03:16 PM
i shouldbe able to see their 1st pick before i gotta go to work. they sure drag the draft out considering they had months to think about who they are going to draft. gotta make it look good for tv.

kenny1937
04-23-2007, 03:41 PM
i shouldbe able to see their 1st pick before i gotta go to work. they sure drag the draft out considering they had months to think about who they are going to draft. gotta make it look good for tv.

Exactly wolfpack, they could do the whole thing in a third of the time.

:saythat:

Chiefster
04-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Want me to tape the Chief's pick, so you can see all the drama of our coach and GM's selection?

:character00135: :character00308:

That would be great; thanks!