PDA

View Full Version : Jake Long is on Jim Rome right now.

hermhater
04-02-2008, 04:45 PM
He only had one sack allowed last year, and no holding penalties he entire career.

Gholston was the only guy that got around him.

We can still get this guy.

royalswin100games
04-02-2008, 04:56 PM
He only had one sack allowed last year, and no holding penalties he entire career.

Hope so. :bananen_smilies046:

Ldub
04-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Jake would be great. I cant see the rams passing him up though. Pray.

royalswin100games
04-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Jake would be great. I cant see the rams passing him up though. Pray.

I can. Chris Long and Adam Carriker would terrorize o-lines all over the league. IMO, the Rams take Chris Long.

royalswin100games
04-02-2008, 05:16 PM
Welcome by the way.

Ldub
04-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Welcome by the way.

Thanks.

I hope your right, jake would look alot better in red and yellow.

Coach
04-02-2008, 06:40 PM
I can. Chris Long and Adam Carriker would terrorize o-lines all over the league. IMO, the Rams take Chris Long.

Chris Long probably won't be there for the Rams to take at #2. I think Miami will take either Chris Long or Jake Long. St L will take the other one.

Chiefster
04-02-2008, 06:50 PM

Don't hold your breath...er wait!...

hermhater
04-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Don't hold your breath...er wait!...

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/04/18.jpg

:bananen_smilies046:

DrunkHillbilly
04-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Actually it was no holding penalties last year and only two his entire college career. Outstanding!!!!

hermhater
04-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Actually it was no holding penalties last year and only two his entire college career. Outstanding!!!!

Thanks!

Chiefster
04-02-2008, 08:37 PM

Which is why he wont be on the board by the 5th round.

DrunkHillbilly
04-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks!

Sorry man, I didn't mean to correct you. I watched the same interview. Chiefster may be right. He may not be there at #5! Saw Kiper had yet a different choice for the Chiefs today!!!!

Chiefster
04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Sorry man, I didn't mean to correct you. I watched the same interview. Chiefster may be right. He may not be there at #5! Saw Kiper had yet a different choice for the Chiefs today!!!!

Who???

royalswin100games
04-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Who???

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4476

Chiefster
04-02-2008, 09:42 PM

Oh yeah. :D

hermhater
04-02-2008, 09:48 PM

No prob guy!

I got no issue with being corrected, must have misheard them talking!

Who???

Oh yeah. :D

That guy!

Chiefster
04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
No prob guy!

I got no issue with being corrected, must have misheard them talking!

That guy!

Yup.

texaschief
04-03-2008, 03:31 AM
I have this feeling that someone is going to get really burnt by taking this guy in the top 5. I just hope it's not us.

hermhater
04-03-2008, 03:44 AM
I have this feeling that someone is going to get really burnt by taking this guy in the top 5. I just hope it's not us.

This has to be an obvious attempt at the Texas Emergency Alert System.

Dude.

:sign0104:

texaschief
04-03-2008, 03:48 AM
This has to be an obvious attempt at the Texas Emergency Alert System.

Dude.

:sign0104:

I'm serious. If you think J. Long is such a stud OL and can protect against the best pass rushers in the NFL, and he ends up being taken before #5, then you HAVE to want to draft the only guy who has ever recorded a sack against him in Gholston. Think about it. If Long is a stud at LT, what does that say for Gholston? Allen and Gholston off the ends would be hell.

hermhater
04-03-2008, 04:31 AM
I'm serious. If you think J. Long is such a stud OL and can protect against the best pass rushers in the NFL, and he ends up being taken before #5, then you HAVE to want to draft the only guy who has ever recorded a sack against him in Gholston. Think about it. If Long is a stud at LT, what does that say for Gholston? Allen and Gholston off the ends would be hell.

That equals Gholston if he's available.

chief31
04-03-2008, 06:12 AM

That he managed to get just one sack against Long. What makes that such a miracle? I once saw Willie Roaf allow a sack to someone I had never heard of.

DrunkHillbilly
04-03-2008, 09:43 AM
What about the other 50 times he didn't get around him?

texaschief
04-03-2008, 03:35 PM
That he managed to get just one sack against Long. What makes that such a miracle? I once saw Willie Roaf allow a sack to someone I had never heard of.

What about the other 50 times he didn't get around him?

If multi-sack games are so common, how come the "best DE in the NFL," Jared Allen only posted 15.5 sacks in 14 games last season? So, either Gholston will be the best DE in the league at 16 sacks a season or J. Long isn't all he's cracked up to be. You can't have it both ways.

Personally, i don't thing Gholston will be the best DE in the league, therefore; J. Long would have his hands full with some of the better DE's in the game...Like Merriman to name one in our own division.

hermhater
04-03-2008, 03:37 PM
If multi-sack games are so common, how come the "best DE in the NFL," Jared Allen only posted 15.5 sacks in 14 games last season? So, either Gholston will be the best DE in the league at 16 sacks a season or J. Long isn't all he's cracked up to be. You can't have it both ways.

Personally, i don't thing Gholston will be the best DE in the league, therefore; J. Long would have his hands full with some of the better DE's in the game...Like Merriman to name one in our own division.

I thought he was a LB?

texaschief
04-03-2008, 03:39 PM
I thought he was a LB?

He's an OLB like Merriman and DT were OLBs.

hermhater
04-03-2008, 03:41 PM
He's an OLB like Merriman and DT were OLBs.

Gotcha!

DrunkHillbilly
04-03-2008, 03:54 PM

Your the one who can't have it both ways! You bash him when he gives up only one sack to a guy who is projected by some to be the best pass rusher in the draft. Turn the coin over. Instead of saying that makes Gholston a stud, why not say that Long is the stud for only letting him get 1 sack. 1 holding penalty the whole season? Pretty good. Only allowed 1 sack the whole season? Pretty good. I don't know what kind of pro he will be, nobody does but I don't want to hear how happy you are if he falls to #5 and we take him because apparently, you don't think too highly of him.

texaschief
04-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Your the one who can't have it both ways! You bash him when he gives up only one sack to a guy who is projected by some to be the best pass rusher in the draft. Turn the coin over. Instead of saying that makes Gholston a stud, why not say that Long is the stud for only letting him get 1 sack. 1 holding penalty the whole season? Pretty good. Only allowed 1 sack the whole season? Pretty good. I don't know what kind of pro he will be, nobody does but I don't want to hear how happy you are if he falls to #5 and we take him because apparently, you don't think too highly of him.

Go back and read the thread. I just said i DON'T think Gholston will be the best DE in the league. I think he'll be good and a great compliment to Allen if we decide to draft him. But what i'm saying is that Gholston IS NOT the greatest DE. Long will be seeing much better DEs in the league and will probably be allowing sacks to NFL quality pass rushers....like Gholston.

I don't know much about Michigan football. How many NFL quality pass rushers did he face during the season? If we can look at how he did against those players, then we can get a glimpse at how he will fare against NFL DE's.

texaschief
04-03-2008, 04:33 PM
1-Vernon Gholston- Ohio State
4-Derrick Harvey- Florida
8-Jason Jones- Penn St.

Assuming Harvey and Jones rushed from Long's side, that only gives him experience against 3 NFL quality pass rushers from last season. Of course he's not going to have penalties or allow sacks when he's facing minimal talent.

I'm sorry, but when he's facing:
App. St.
Notre Dame
Purdue
Northwestern
Eastern Michigan
Minnesota

Those schools just don't ring "top talent" to me.

It's what he does against quality talent that you need to look at when analyzing J. Long's performance.

hermhater
04-03-2008, 04:36 PM
1-Vernon Gholston- Ohio State
4-Derrick Harvey- Florida
8-Jason Jones- Penn St.

Assuming Harvey and Jones rushed from Long's side, that only gives him experience against 3 NFL quality pass rushers from last season. Of course he's not going to have penalties or allow sacks when he's facing minimal talent.

I'm sorry, but when he's facing:
App. St.
Notre Dame
Purdue
Northwestern
Eastern Michigan
Minnesota

Those schools just don't ring "top talent" to me.

It's what he does against quality talent that you need to look at when analyzing J. Long's performance.

He won't be available so it's a moot point.

Let's see what the Rams do.

chief31
04-04-2008, 02:12 AM

Can't have it both ways?!?!? The man allowed one sack. Period. He isn't from some division II school or anything. So, one play, during the course of an entire season, he made one mistake, and you are gonna jump all over that????

And yet you do nothing but cover up a career full of mistakes by Herm.

You should try to veil your bias at least a little bit. :D

texaschief
04-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Can't have it both ways?!?!? The man allowed one sack. Period. He isn't from some division II school or anything. So, one play, during the course of an entire season, he made one mistake, and you are gonna jump all over that????

no, but it's not like he played in a good conference the past couple years or played against top competition. Neither did Clady in the WAC. I'd be much more comfortable drafting the best OT from the SEC. Someone who saw NFL talent week in and week out. At least then you'd see some sort of track record.

hermhater
04-04-2008, 02:24 AM

Somehow Herm has been made the leader of our great team.

I will not stand this bias you have for our leader!

:D

texaschief
04-04-2008, 02:41 AM
Why would i try to cover up his mistakes? That's how you learn. You learn from your mistakes. Why do you think there's such a premium on players and coaches who have "experience?" They've already made and learned from their mistakes and know not to repeat them.

Believe it or not, 8 years isn't a whole lot of experience as a head coach. I know it's hard for y'all to believe because this isn't a very patient society we live in.

hermhater
04-04-2008, 02:50 AM
Why would i try to cover up his mistakes? That's how you learn. You learn from your mistakes. Why do you think there's such a premium on players and coaches who have "experience?" They've already made and learned from their mistakes and know not to repeat them.

Believe it or not, 8 years isn't a whole lot of experience as a head coach. I know it's hard for y'all to believe because this isn't a very patient society we live in.

At some point it boils down to luck.

Herm has neither skill or luck on his side.

texaschief
04-04-2008, 02:55 AM

....he has no skill, but yet, your MVP, Jared Allen would say otherwise considering Herm and his coaching staff are the only reasons why we would want to play here.

hermhater
04-04-2008, 03:24 AM
....he has no skill, but yet, your MVP, Jared Allen would say otherwise considering Herm and his coaching staff are the only reasons why we would want to play here.

If Herm had skill he would still be playing!

:11:

chief31
04-04-2008, 04:05 AM

I'm not sure. But as soon as someone points out Herms losing record as a head caoch, or any other form of criticism against Herm.... Here comes TC to Herms rescue.:D

rbedgood
04-04-2008, 04:09 AM
As a pretty much unbiased spectator in this case I have to say Herm is mediocre at very best. Learning from one's mistakes is a true virtue in life. And I agree with TC that one has to make some mistakes to learn. However repeating the same mistakes (like time management or play calling from the doldrums) is not LEARNING!!!

hermhater
04-04-2008, 04:09 AM
I'm not sure. But as soon as someone points out Herms losing record as a head caoch....

What about his press conferences where he actually speaks and proves he's an idiot?

Should I bring up the comparison of Drummond with a Volkswagen?

Herm has a losing record since he sucked it up last year.

I hope he can turn things around though!

hermhater
04-04-2008, 04:13 AM
As a pretty much unbiased spectator in this case I have to say Herm is mediocre at very best. Learning from one's mistakes is a true virtue in life. And I agree with TC that one has to make some mistakes to learn. However repeating the same mistakes (like time management or play calling from the doldrums) is not LEARNING!!!

Better than neutral spot is not unbiased.

rbedgood
04-04-2008, 04:20 AM

Again...turn the mentality...ON. That is why I said "pretty much unbiased" as opposed to "completely unbiased".

This is why Canada and I both doubt you will ever post anything that will "make you cool". Read, understand and then POST.

You might not post as fast,
but you won't post like an A$$.

hermhater
04-04-2008, 04:46 AM

What about his press conferences where he actually speaks and proves he's an idiot?

Should I bring up the comparison of Drummond with a Volkswagen?

Herm has a losing record since he sucked it up last year.

I hope he can turn things around though!

Again...turn the mentality...ON. That is why I said "pretty much unbiased" as opposed to "completely unbiased".

This is why Canada and I both doubt you will ever post anything that will "make you cool". Read, understand and then POST.

You might not post as fast,
but you won't post like an A$$.

Sorry Boss!

DrunkHillbilly
04-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Go back and read the thread. I just said i DON'T think Gholston will be the best DE in the league. I think he'll be good and a great compliment to Allen if we decide to draft him. But what i'm saying is that Gholston IS NOT the greatest DE. Long will be seeing much better DEs in the league and will probably be allowing sacks to NFL quality pass rushers....like Gholston.

I don't know much about Michigan football. How many NFL quality pass rushers did he face during the season? If we can look at how he did against those players, then we can get a glimpse at how he will fare against NFL DE's.
Nobody here said Gholston will be the best or an even above avg DE in the NFL. The fact is that many players that dominated in college struggle in the NFL. You act like he played at Southwestern Illiinois State or something!!! He played at one of the largest most predominate football schools in the country!!!! There schedule may have not been as tough this year but I don't care what league your in, when you are only called for 1 holding penalty and only allow 1 sack the entire season, your considered the best at your position. What will you say if Miami takes him at #1?? Bust??

texaschief
04-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Nobody here said Gholston will be the best or an even above avg DE in the NFL. The fact is that many players that dominated in college struggle in the NFL. You act like he played at Southwestern Illiinois State or something!!! He played at one of the largest most predominate football schools in the country!!!! There schedule may have not been as tough this year but I don't care what league your in, when you are only called for 1 holding penalty and only allow 1 sack the entire season, your considered the best at your position. What will you say if Miami takes him at #1?? Bust??

Just because he'd be taken #1 instead of #5 or #10 etc...doesn't make him any less of a risk. Any OT taken in the top 5 had better turn out to be an unquestioned LT. If Long ends up on the right side, which has been speculated that he might, then yes, i'd consider Miami taking him #1 as a bust.....easily. When you're talking about OL in the top 5, they'd better be super studs like Roaf and Pace. It's JUST MY OPINION, but Long doesn't look like that kind of player to me.

hermhater
04-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Just because he'd be taken #1 instead of #5 or #10 etc...doesn't make him any less of a risk. Any OT taken in the top 5 had better turn out to be an unquestioned LT. If Long ends up on the right side, which has been speculated that he might, then yes, i'd consider Miami taking him #1 as a bust.....easily. When you're talking about OL in the top 5, they'd better be super studs like Roaf and Pace. It's JUST MY OPINION, but Long doesn't look like that kind of player to me.

You're opinion is highly respected so this might be on ESPN tomorrow.

:biggrin:

texaschief
04-07-2008, 01:06 AM
I doubt it....they stupid things like the 8th best athlete in the draft will be taken 1st.

hermhater
04-07-2008, 01:17 AM
I doubt it....they stupid things like the 8th best athlete in the draft will be taken 1st.

Is taking the best player available better than filling team needs?

texaschief
04-07-2008, 01:44 AM
Is taking the best player available better than filling team needs?

Depends on your team. If your the Dolphins, you take the best player available because more than likely, that player will fill a need. Out of the top 8 or so players available to the Fins, only DMac wouldn't be a need at his position with Brown and Williams coming back....so, in their case, yes....because they have more than one need.

hermhater
04-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Depends on your team. If your the Dolphins, you take the best player available because more than likely, that player will fill a need. Out of the top 8 or so players available to the Fins, only DMac wouldn't be a need at his position with Brown and Williams coming back....so, in their case, yes....because they have more than one need.

You use the team with the first pick in the draft.

Then you use the best glamor position (besides QB) to make your point.

McFadden to Miami?

That won't happen the Tuna is in Miami now.

texaschief
04-07-2008, 02:25 AM
You use the team with the first pick in the draft.

Then you use the best glamor position (besides QB) to make your point.

McFadden to Miami?

That won't happen the Tuna is in Miami now.

:sign0153:
The #1 team was the example chosen.
Look at the top 8 prospects:
McFadden
C. Long
Ryan
Dorsey
Ellis
Gholston
J. Long
Leodis McKelvin

.....other than McFadden, which player on that list would be a backup on Miami to start the season?

...and of course it won't happen....they don't have a need there currently. but if you think OT is the only need Miami has, you're delusional.

If i were going to start rebuilding a team, I'd want to start on defense....i know, shocking. I'd take C. Long or Gholston. Some cornerstone defensive player i could build my defense around for years to come.

Look at the Cowboys... which side of the ball are all their first round picks going to? 8 of thier last 10 went to defense. Parcells went CB, RB, DE, LB, DE with the Cowboys....do you really think he's going OLine with his first pick in Miami? It's C. Long or Gholston...PERHAPS even Dorsey, but i doubt it.

AkChief49
04-07-2008, 11:05 AM
If we were get J. Long, it is not written in stone that he goes to LT. Mayock has him being a pro bowl RT, saying he has "a little trouble with speed on the outside". I bet we take Ellis or Dorsey if available at this spot. With the front D-line "shored" up like that, Hali( it's time he breaks out-staying healthy) and Allen will hard to stop!!Just an opinion

royalswin100games
04-07-2008, 01:49 PM
If we were get J. Long, it is not written in stone that he goes to LT. Mayock has him being a pro bowl RT, saying he has "a little trouble with speed on the outside". I bet we take Ellis or Dorsey if available at this spot. With the front D-line "shored" up like that, Hali( it's time he breaks out-staying healthy) and Allen will hard to stop!!Just an opinion

I'll agree with that.

hermhater
04-07-2008, 01:52 PM
If we get Long he will start at LT.

Bet on it.

royalswin100games
04-07-2008, 01:54 PM
If we get Long he will start at LT.

Bet on it.

I'll agree with that too.

royalswin100games
04-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Anyone tired of talking about what we "may" do? Let's get this over with so we can talk about what we have.

hermhater
04-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Anyone tired of talking about what we "may" do? Let's get this over with so we can talk about what we have.

That's why I'm posting threads about someone named Iona Knipl.

royalswin100games
04-07-2008, 02:04 PM
That's why I'm posting threads about someone named Iona Knipl.

Seriously man, I read these scouts and post some of this stuff on here. Some of it sounds good, some bad. In the end it doesn't matter. What matters is our opinion on what CP and Herm actually do. If we like the picks and the picks result in our team winning, then that's great. If we don't like the picks and our team continues to have losing seasons because of poor decision making, maybe us as fans can put enough pressure on the ownership to get someone else in the front office. Because what it all boils down to is us. There is no business without us.

That is all and I'm done until after the draft.

hermhater
04-07-2008, 02:17 PM
The problem with your logic is that whoever here guesses what the organization will do gets to gloat over the rest of us.

royalswin100games
04-07-2008, 02:20 PM
The problem with your logic is that whoever here guesses what the organization will do gets to gloat over the rest of us.

Ahhhhh... everything is becoming much clearer.

DrunkHillbilly
04-07-2008, 06:51 PM

I'm usually the one gloating!!!!! LOL!!!!:D :yahoo:

hermhater
04-07-2008, 07:02 PM

Sure you are...

:rolleyes:

Chiefster
04-07-2008, 07:09 PM

You have to take everything HH says with a grain of salt...A HUGE grain of salt...like a cow lick. :D

hermhater
04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
You have to take everything HH says with a grain of salt...A HUGE grain of salt...like a cow lick. :D

You mean like this?

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/04/49.jpg

Chiefster
04-07-2008, 08:35 PM
You mean like this?

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/04/49.jpg

Yep! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coach
04-07-2008, 10:06 PM

Funny you say that. I was listening to NFL radio on Sirius the other day, and they weren't real high on Jake Long. The big knock against him is that he ends up on the ground a lot. Balance issues. They didn't have him rated has the highest OL in the draft. It made me start thinking about the videos I've watched of Jake like the one on the homepage. Jake ends up on the ground in half of the highlights against Florida. Scared me a little.

The Big 10 gets great players. Especially lineman. The knock against the Big 10 is the style of football and the speed of the players. It's never been the size. Jake will be a good lineman for whomever gets him. The question is whether he is a good pick at #5 in a draft that has loads on OL talent. I'm starting to think the Chiefs could take QB Ryan or DT Sedrick Ellis and grab an OL in the 2nd & 3rd rds. I'm sure Herm would love to take a defensive player first.

hermhater
04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Funny you say that. I was listening to NFL radio on Sirius the other day, and they weren't real high on Jake Long. The big knock against him is that he ends up on the ground a lot. Balance issues. They didn't have him rated has the highest OL in the draft. It made me start thinking about the videos I've watched of Jake like the one on the homepage. Jake ends up on the ground in half of the highlights against Florida. Scared me a little.

The Big 10 gets great players. Especially lineman. The knock against the Big 10 is the style of football and the speed of the players. It's never been the size. Jake will be a good lineman for whomever gets him. The question is whether he is a good pick at #5 in a draft that has loads on OL talent. I'm starting to think the Chiefs could take QB Ryan or DT Sedrick Ellis and grab an OL in the 2nd & 3rd rds. I'm sure Herm would love to take a defensive player first.

I'm afraid you may be right about Herm.

chief31
04-08-2008, 03:59 AM

Mayock is a DEE-DEE-DEE! :D

He had a little trouble with the speed-rush, for one play in '07.

hermhater
04-08-2008, 04:29 AM

YouTube - Carlos Mencia - The Dee Dee Dee Song

:D

Canada
04-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Are you bragging about being on the same page as Herm and Carl?? :p

hermhater
04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
If Jake can give Brodie even 1 more second in the pocket he is worth every bit of the 5th pick!

AkChief49
04-08-2008, 05:51 PM
If Jake can give Brodie even 1 more second in the pocket he is worth every bit of the 5th pick!

:11:sure he is...he just will not be there. wish he would be, it's time to face the facts. I'd wager Miami takes him first overall

rbedgood
04-09-2008, 12:16 PM
sure he is...he just will not be there. wish he would be, it's time to face the facts. I'd wager Miami takes him first overall

Hmmm...I'm betting against that one. I put Parcells and company on the other Long. I am starting to think that St Louis is the team that will take Jake Long.

hermhater
04-09-2008, 01:55 PM
sure he is...he just will not be there. wish he would be, it's time to face the facts. I'd wager Miami takes him first overall

Hmmm...I'm betting against that one. I put Parcells and company on the other Long. I am starting to think that St Louis is the team that will take Jake Long.

I think it's gonna be St Louis that takes Jake too, although I'm not sold on Miami taking the other long.

texaschief
04-09-2008, 02:02 PM
I think it's gonna be St Louis that takes Jake too, although I'm not sold on Miami taking the other long.

Parcells loves to build around DEs. C. Long will go number one. I think the Rams will wait to draft an OT till the 2nd. They don't NEED to replace Pace RIGHT NOW. Atlanta will go Matt Ryan and the Raiders will go Dorsey/Ellis or DMac. I'd be willing to bet Jake falls to us.

hermhater
04-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Parcells loves to build around DEs. C. Long will go number one. I think the Rams will wait to draft an OT till the 2nd. They don't NEED to replace Pace RIGHT NOW. Atlanta will go Matt Ryan and the Raiders will go Dorsey/Ellis or DMac. I'd be willing to bet Jake falls to us.

Hmmm...

I'm still thinking Ryan will be available when we draft and Herm will take him.

Carl will succumb to pressure and take the glamor position.

texaschief
04-09-2008, 03:07 PM
There are too many QBs in this draft to take one at #5. The talent differential isn't THAT big between Ryan and a second round pick to warrant that kind of pick. I honestly think you'll see Ryan fall to Baltimore. His talent level doesn't warrant a top 5 pick. Perhaps top 10, but not top 5.

hermhater
04-09-2008, 03:21 PM
There are too many QBs in this draft to take one at #5. The talent differential isn't THAT big between Ryan and a second round pick to warrant that kind of pick. I honestly think you'll see Ryan fall to Baltimore. His talent level doesn't warrant a top 5 pick. Perhaps top 10, but not top 5.

I don't think we should draft the guy, I think Carl will do it though.

texaschief
04-09-2008, 03:28 PM
I don't think we should draft the guy, I think Carl will do it though.

there's no way. i know you want him and Herm fired, but it's not going to happen.

hermhater
04-09-2008, 03:53 PM
there's no way. i know you want him and Herm fired, but it's not going to happen.

Do you think they will trade our 5th for more picks?

If so what is it worth?

texaschief
04-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Do you think they will trade our 5th for more picks?

If so what is it worth?

our pick is worth 1700 pts.

In perspective, the Bears, who pick 14th, their pick is worth 1100. So, if they wanted to trade up, they'd have to give us their first rounder plus more picks to equal that 1700 pt. total for it to be a good deal. I already did this scenario on my mock draft.

We acquired their 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 6th rounder for our 1st, 4th and 2nd 6th rounder. We had to give up picks to make the points work out correctly. The farther down we trade, the more picks we will accumulate.

**all assuming no current players are involved.

texaschief
04-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Draft Trade Chart
1stRD 2ndRD 3rdRD 4thRD 5th RD 6thRD 7th RD
1 3,000 33 580 65 265 97 112 129 43 161 27 193 14.2
2 2,600 34 560 66 260 98 108 130 42 162 26.6 194 13.8
3 2,200 35 550 67 255 99 104 131 41 163 26.2 195 13.4
4 1,800 36 540 68 250 100 100 132 40 164 25.8 196 13
5 1,700 37 530 69 245 101 96 133 39.5 165 25.4 197 12.6
6 1,600 38 520 70 240 102 92 134 39 166 25 198 12.2
7 1,500 39 510 71 235 103 88 135 38.5 167 24.6 199 11.8
8 1,400 40 500 72 230 104 86 136 38 168 24.2 200 11.4
9 1,350 41 490 73 225 105 84 137 37.5 169 23.8 201 11
10 1,300 42 480 74 220 106 82 138 37 170 23.4 202 10.6
11 1,250 43 470 75 215 107 80 139 36.5 171 23 203 10.2
12 1,200 44 460 76 210 108 78 140 36 172 22.6 204 9.8
13 1,150 45 450 77 205 109 76 141 35.5 173 22.2 205 9.4
14 1,100 46 440 78 200 110 74 142 35 174 21.8 206 9
15 1,050 47 430 79 195 111 72 143 34.5 175 21.4 207 8.6
16 1,000 48 420 80 190 112 70 144 34 176 21 208 8.2
17 950 49 410 81 185 113 68 145 33.5 177 20.6 209 7.8
18 900 50 400 82 180 114 66 146 33 178 20.2 210 7.4
19 875 51 390 83 175 115 64 147 32.6 179 19.8 211 7
20 850 52 380 84 170 116 62 148 32.2 180 19.4 212 6.6
21 800 53 370 85 165 117 60 149 31.8 181 19 213 6.2
22 780 54 360 86 160 118 58 150 31.4 182 18.6 214 5.8
23 760 55 350 87 155 119 56 151 31 183 18.2 215 5.4
24 740 56 340 88 150 120 54 152 30.6 184 17.8 216 5
25 720 57 330 89 145 121 52 153 30.2 185 17.4 217 4.6
26 700 58 320 90 140 122 50 154 29.8 186 17 218 4.2
27 680 59 310 91 136 123 49 155 29.4 187 16.6 219 3.8
28 660 60 300 92 132 124 48 156 29 188 16.2 220 3.4
29 640 61 292 93 128 125 47 157 28.6 189 15.8 221 3
30 620 62 284 94 124 126 46 158 28.2 190 15.4 222 2.6
31 600 63 276 95 120 127 45 159 27.8 191 15 223 2.3
32 590 64 270 96 116 128 44 160 27.4 192 14.6 224 2

Coach
04-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't know about all of the points. But I won't be surprised to see the Chiefs use the 1st round pick on a defensive player. Even if J Long is still on the board.

royalswin100games
04-09-2008, 06:03 PM
I don't know about all of the points. But I won't be surprised to see the Chiefs use the 1st round pick on a defensive player. Even if J Long is still on the board.

Dolphins negotiating for Jake Long as No. 1 pick

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.
The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.
Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.
The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.
Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.
The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.
By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line.

Looks like we might already know who will be the #1 pick.

Coach
04-09-2008, 06:11 PM

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.
Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.
The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.
Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.
The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.
By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line.

Interesting. It would be helpful to know what the 1st pick will be. In that scenario, I think we could see something like this:
2. STL - Chris Long
3. ATL - Matt Ryan
4. OAK - Darren McFadden
5. KC - Glenn Dorsey

Chiefster
04-09-2008, 06:24 PM

Same here; although I don't look for Long to be on the board that long.

Canada
04-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Same here; although I don't look for Long to be on the board that long.

which long? C Long? :D

hermhater
04-09-2008, 08:15 PM

:lol: :lol:

You're on a roll today, eh?

Funny stuff...

Well once we hear about the contract getting all wrapped up we won't have to have this discussion about Jake anymore.

Keep us posted royals, and :sign0098:

Chiefster
04-09-2008, 09:05 PM

:lol::lol:

rbedgood
04-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Just because Miami is in preliminary negotiations with Jake Long, doesn't mean they will actually pick him. Bush was in negotiations with Houston a couple years ago also, and then Williams was selected #1.

royalswin100games
04-09-2008, 11:12 PM

BY JEFF DARLINGTON

Just because Miami is in preliminary negotiations with Jake Long, doesn't mean they will actually pick him. Bush was in negotiations with Houston a couple years ago also, and then Williams was selected #1.

Nothing's done until the 26th.

texaschief
04-10-2008, 12:29 AM
even with all this stuff about Jake being taken #1, i still don't think he'll be taken #1. I think they want to hear what his camp is going to want monetarily before they decide to take the plunge on an OT with the first pick.

I think if they can get close, they might take him. But, if they are REALLY far apart, they're not going to take an OT for a high price. I think this is all just a feeling out process to see if he is signable and if the Fins would be able to get him in camp on time.

my $0.02 for the night. I'll be back tomorrow.

chief31
04-10-2008, 01:20 AM

Really?

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4473

even with all this stuff about Jake being taken #1, i still don't think he'll be taken #1. I think they want to hear what his camp is going to want monetarily before they decide to take the plunge on an OT with the first pick.

I think if they can get close, they might take him. But, if they are REALLY far apart, they're not going to take an OT for a high price. I think this is all just a feeling out process to see if he is signable and if the Fins would be able to get him in camp on time.

my $0.02 for the night. I'll be back tomorrow.

Could be used as leverage in negotiations with another player as well.

rbedgood
04-11-2008, 11:25 AM

Ummm...that didn't take long...Miami is also negotiating with Gholston's agent. Guessing they'll talk to at least one of the DTs also!

hermhater
04-11-2008, 01:49 PM
Ummm...that didn't take long...Miami is also negotiating with Gholston's agent. Guessing they'll talk to at least one of the DTs also!

Hmmmm...

Parcells plays poker with No. 1 draft pick

Posted: April 11, 2008

Bill Parcells hasn't held the No. 1-overall pick in the NFL draft since 1993, his first season as head coach of the New England Patriots. Fifteen years ago, however, the NFL was a far different world. The top pick in the draft didn't receive the same financial windfall the No. 1 selection now enjoys, and so the pressure to get the pick right wasn't nearly as intense as it is now.

In 2008, the worst team from the previous season not only gets first dibs on the draft pool but it acquires the privilege of paying that one guy up to $35 million in guaranteed money on a deal that likely will exceed $60 million in total value. The price tag in guaranteed money, which has grown from $15 million only five years ago, has made owning the No. 1-overall pick more of a curse than a blessing -- especially in a year when there isn't a clear-cut, can't-miss, gotta-get-him prospect.

But the team that holds the No. 1 pick also has the ability to begin negotiating a contract with as many players as it chooses. The prevailing thought is that Parcells and the Miami Dolphins (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/dolphins/index.html) will flirt with several of players in the hopes of holding down the total price paid.

The process already is unfolding.

Published reports from the past few days indicate the Dolphins have opened talks (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=397747) with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long and Ohio State defensive end/outside linebacker Vernon Gholston. Don't be surprised to see the team instigate contract talks with Virginia defensive end Chris Long, LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey and Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan as well.

Each player under consideration for the No. 1 overall pick must ask himself a simple three-part question: If I don't take the Dolphins' deal ... Where will I be picked? How much less money will I make? And how much will I lose in possible endorsement earnings?

But for each player who gets to talk with the Dolphins, his agent should feel more than a little nervous. The agent for the No. 1-overall pick faces ridicule and criticism if the contract isn't an increase of 15 percent or more in guaranteed money and total value when compared with last year's deal signed by Oakland Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Agents, you see, typically do current deals with an eye toward next year. The contracts negotiated by the agents in 2008 will be feathers in the caps (or, possibly, warts on the chins) when boxing out each other to represent the various high-profile members of the 2009 rookie class. If an agent doesn't maximize money this year, he'll struggle to attract top clients next year.

Another difference between 1993 and 2008 is the fact players (and their families) have access to so much more information, thanks to the wired contraption that allows you to waste otherwise productive time. They don't have to accept at face value the monologues of a silver-tongued agent.

And more informed players will ask tougher questions (especially in the case of Jake Long and Gholston, who are represented by the same firm and thus might be concerned about which player's best interests the agency is trying to protect and/or advance) and perhaps go directly against his agent's advice (and interests) and takes the best offer the Dolphins put on the table.

Parcells has the brains, the will and the personality to win this game of high-stakes poker. He might even put the same contract out to several prospects and tell them whoever signs first gets to be the No. 1 pick.

If Parcells pulls such a move and if a player rejects his agent's advice and signs the contract, it would be unprecedented. It also would be the last time such a thing happens. The easy fix to this conundrum would be for the agents to recommend that the next Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and union be written to prohibit pre-draft contract negotiations.

The better solution would be to institute a rookie wage scale. But that would make agents completely irrelevant when it comes to the representation of rookies. And that would be a shame. Wouldn't it?

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=398475

Chiefster
04-12-2008, 12:14 AM

Good point.