PDA

View Full Version : Japan's oldest person fulfills her life's dream to meet Charlton Heston.

hermhater
04-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Sad.
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif

Japan's oldest person dies at 113

By CHISAKI WATANABE, Associated Press Writer Sat Apr 5, 8:17 AM ET

TOKYO - Kaku Yamanaka, Japan's oldest person, has died of old age in central Japan, officials said Saturday. She was 113.
Yamanaka died at a hospital where she was taken early Saturday after falling ill at a nursing home in Yatomi City in Aichi prefecture (state), an official at her nursing home said on condition of anonymity, citing policy.

Born on Dec. 11, 1894, Yamanaka became Japan's oldest person when Tsuneyo Toyonaga, 113, died in February. It was not immediately clear who had become Japan's new oldest person, and Health Ministry officials were not available for comment Saturday.

Yamanaka was known for her love of singing and took part in local karaoke contests, the nursing home official said.

Japan has one of the world's longest average life spans — a factor often attributed to a healthy diet rich in fish and rice. In 2006 Japanese women set a new record for life expectancy at 85.81 years, while men live an average of about 79 years.

The number of Japanese living beyond 100 has almost quadrupled over the past 10 years. There were 32,295 centenarians in 2007, according to the Health Ministry.

Edna Parker of Shelbyville, Indiana, is recognized as the world's oldest person at age 114, according to Guinness World Records. She was born on April 20, 1893.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080405/ap_on_re_as/japan_obit_oldest_person

tammietailgator
04-06-2008, 10:20 PM
awwwee...... may she rest in peace....but personally, I would not want to live that long

hermhater
04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
awwwee...... may she rest in peace....but personally, I would not want to live that long

Me neither, and I'm taking measures to insure that doesn't happen.

:bananen_smilies046:

tornadospotter
04-07-2008, 03:12 AM
Me neither, and I'm taking measures to insure that doesn't happen.

Depends on the quality of life, and availability of depends! Chiefster, :wheelchair: O-Wise one, what are your thoughts? :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Canada
04-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Depends on the quality of life, and availability of depends! Chiefster, :wheelchair: O-Wise one, what are your thoughts? :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

He has none!! :p

hermhater
04-07-2008, 12:43 PM

He has none!! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster has no Depends???

:scared2:

I'll call him Brownie.

:biggrin:

Canada
04-07-2008, 12:45 PM
answer your phone ***

Canada
04-07-2008, 12:46 PM
thank u

hermhater
04-07-2008, 01:03 PM
answer your phone ***

thank u

And I'll call you Mr. Friggin' Alarm clock. :sign0104:

Chiefster
04-07-2008, 09:20 PM

...Thoughts???

I don't need no stinking thoughts! :D

hermhater
04-07-2008, 09:33 PM
...Thoughts???

I don't need no stinking thoughts! :D

You thought KU would win the Championship!

:11:

McLovin
04-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Personally I was hoping Charlton Heston would get shot in the head, would have been a great irony and couldnt have happened to a nicer person. Enjoy the heat Heston you deserve it.

hermhater
04-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Personally I was hoping Charlton Heston would get shot in the head, would have been a great irony and couldnt have happened to a nicer person. Enjoy the heat Heston you deserve it.

I'm half way with ya guy.

I am for gun control, but only for handguns and assault weapons.

royalswin100games
04-08-2008, 12:16 AM

Nice.

I agree.

rbedgood
04-08-2008, 12:21 AM

I am for gun control also...

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/04/52.jpg

hermhater
04-08-2008, 12:23 AM

How about them Hawks guy?

:yahoo:

rbedgood
04-08-2008, 12:24 AM
How about them Hawks guy?

:yahoo:

I just read it on here...been on a plane this evening. I'm stuck in Donkey Country this week.

McLovin
04-08-2008, 12:25 AM
I am all for people being able to have guns for hunting, but if we dont get the guns under control in this country we wont ha ave decent people left to worry about. It is far to easy for a still developing child to get ahold of dads guns and shoot up a school because he was teased.

Growing up I got teased, I turned into the class clown like normal kids lol.

royalswin100games
04-08-2008, 12:27 AM

One of my best friends is a Gunner's Mate in the Navy. He's a small arms expert and is transferring to Italy soon to run an armory there. Needless to say, he owns quite a few weapons. I respect his opinions but I have to agree to disagree with some of them. Gun shot wounds are nasty.

(Note: May belong on the political thread.)

hermhater
04-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I just read it on here...been on a plane this evening. I'm stuck in Donkey Country this week.

That sucks.

At least it's not Chiefs Season.

I am all for people being able to have guns for hunting, but if we dont get the guns under control in this country we wont ha ave decent people left to worry about. It is far to easy for a still developing child to get ahold of dads guns and shoot up a school because he was teased.

I just pent up all my rage and drank later on.

Good times...

One of my best friends is a Gunner's Mate in the Navy. He's a small arms expert and is transferring to Italy soon to run an armory there. Needless to say, he owns quite a few weapons. I respect his opinions but I have to agree to disagree with some of them. Gun shot wounds are nasty.

(Note: May belong on the political thread.)

I thought about that when I posted it, but it was just meant to be a joke about the Japanese lady dying the same day as Heston.

rbedgood
04-08-2008, 12:42 AM

I agree there is a problem with security, however my argument would be that gun control has contributed to this problem. If you check the gun crime statistics in different areas, both within and outside the US you'll find little to no correlation between gun control and gun crime reduction. In fact some of the areas with the worst gun crime are states where gun ownership/possession is the most restrictive.

There is an argument that the problem is varying laws between the states, however the gun crime in Australia & the United Kingdom defy the logic in that argument as they are both under federal restrictions and are isolated land masses. Both countries still have issues with gun crime. http://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_archives/000904.html

Gun control in theory is fine, it takes away guns from everyone...however in practice law-abiding citizens follow the rules and become helpless victims when criminal fringe continues to have/use the firearms. Allowing law-abiding citizens to obtain permits and training to protect themselves is the other option I can see. It doesn't prevent all these tragedies, but it does reduce the amount of victims in a tragedy.

Think if a couple professors or administrators at Columbine or Virginia Tech had been legally armed. The number of casualties in these tragedies may have been cut in half, or even less.

Chiefster
04-12-2008, 11:57 AM
I agree there is a problem with security, however my argument would be that gun control has contributed to this problem. If you check the gun crime statistics in different areas, both within and outside the US you'll find little to no correlation between gun control and gun crime reduction. In fact some of the areas with the worst gun crime are states where gun ownership/possession is the most restrictive.

There is an argument that the problem is varying laws between the states, however the gun crime in Australia & the United Kingdom defy the logic in that argument as they are both under federal restrictions and are isolated land masses. Both countries still have issues with gun crime. http://www.alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_archives/000904.html

Gun control in theory is fine, it takes away guns from everyone...however in practice law-abiding citizens follow the rules and become helpless victims when criminal fringe continues to have/use the firearms. Allowing law-abiding citizens to obtain permits and training to protect themselves is the other option I can see. It doesn't prevent all these tragedies, but it does reduce the amount of victims in a tragedy.

Think if a couple professors or administrators at Columbine or Virginia Tech had been legally armed. The number of casualties in these tragedies may have been cut in half, or even less.

Absolutely agree! All gun control laws have done is keep honest people honest. It has done nothing apparent to me to deter violent crime using a firearm. If you’re the type that is going to commit crime using a firearm then you are the type that is not going to obtain and carry that firearm legally in the first place. So, what happens is that it leaves law abiding citizens at risk and defenseless.

hermhater
04-12-2008, 11:45 PM

Absolutely agree! All gun control laws have done is keep honest people honest. It has done nothing apparent to me to deter violent crime using a firearm. If you’re the type that is going to commit crime using a firearm then you are the type that is not going to obtain and carry that firearm legally in the first place. So, what happens is that it leaves law abiding citizens at risk and defenseless.

There's not much gun violence in England.

Canada
04-14-2008, 10:06 AM
There's not much gun violence in England.

or Canada!! :p