PDA

View Full Version : The Real Story Behind Trading Jared Allen?

derrickjohnsontribute
04-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I've been trying to figure out what the hell Carl Peterson is thinking about while he's basically trying to shove the best DE in football out the door. I frequent this website for my key fantasy football news, as they've become a reliable source for me over the past two seasons.

Check out their take on why Peterson is doing this.

http://thereis.nooffseason.com/index.php/player-news/nfl-draft-rumors-3.html

Thoughts?

hermhater
04-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Sounds like what we have been discussing.

It's stupid to get rid of a proven player though and gamble like this with rookies.

royalswin100games
04-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Sounds like what we have been discussing.

It's stupid to get rid of a proven player though and gamble like this with rookies.

Thank you.

If we get rid of JA I'd like to see Chris Long in a Chiefs uniform(which probably won't happen).

texaschief
04-21-2008, 07:27 PM
If he's basing his decision on how high he thinks the two DEs ceilings are, they'd better be off the chart better than JA. While I agree with the picks theory, i still don't like trading corner stone players like Allen unless we're bringing back a bumper crop of players.

anaeelbackwards
04-21-2008, 08:07 PM
JESUS, franchise him already................

royalswin100games
04-21-2008, 10:23 PM
JESUS, exclusively franchise him already................

FYP. :bananen_smilies046:

jakesmith
04-22-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah it would be great to keep JA, but he is unhappy. How much heart do you really think he will have in playing for the Chiefs? Its too late to try to repair the situation with JA. Chiefs have to unload him to try to get more draft picks. Its the only way now.

And I was and still am, pissed on how CP treated Allen. But, HH made a good point in that JA was asking for a lot of guaranteed money and he still has off-field issues. Yeah, he says he's changed but he still has a lot to prove and that is probably the reason the Chiefs were so hesitant in giving the huge money he was asking for.

Hopefully, the Chiefs will find someone to replace him. I doubt it will be Chris Long. (Although that would be hilarious, considering his daddy was such a huge hero to the Faiders!!) Rams will probably draft C. Long, because the Dolphins are going to take Jake Long (Dammit, that who I thought the CHiefs should get.)

chief31
04-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Yeah it would be great to keep JA, but he is unhappy. How much heart do you really think he will have in playing for the Chiefs? Its too late to try to repair the situation with JA. Chiefs have to unload him to try to get more draft picks. Its the only way now.

And I was and still am, pissed on how CP treated Allen. But, HH made a good point in that JA was asking for a lot of guaranteed money and he still has off-field issues. Yeah, he says he's changed but he still has a lot to prove and that is probably the reason the Chiefs were so hesitant in giving the huge money he was asking for.

Hopefully, the Chiefs will find someone to replace him. I doubt it will be Chris Long. (Although that would be hilarious, considering his daddy was such a huge hero to the Faiders!!) Rams will probably draft C. Long, because the Dolphins are going to take Jake Long (Dammit, that who I thought the CHiefs should get.)

I firmly disagree with the notion that Jared would be unhappy staying with the Chiefs. If we give him a long-term deal, which is the only thing that has made him upset at all, then I believe that he will again be the happiest guy in a Chiefs jersey.

As for the hesitation to giving him a long-term deal... I have zero doubt, that Carl told Jared, when he was trying to get an extension last off-season, that he had to show them, in '07, that was capable of cleaning-up his act. There is no way that that leverage was not used to settle the dispute last season.

So, now that he has done that, what are the Chiefs doing to show appreciation for the fact thjat he did exactly what they wanted(and led the NFL in sacks)?

DrunkHillbilly
04-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I firmly disagree with the notion that Jared would be unhappy staying with the Chiefs. If we give him a long-term deal, which is the only thing that has made him upset at all, then I believe that he will again be the happiest guy in a Chiefs jersey.

As for the hesitation to giving him a long-term deal... I have zero doubt, that Carl told Jared, when he was trying to get an extension last off-season, that he had to show them, in '07, that was capable of cleaning-up his act. There is no way that that leverage was not used to settle the dispute last season.

So, now that he has done that, what are the Chiefs doing to show appreciation for the fact thjat he did exactly what they wanted(and led the NFL in sacks)?
He is out to screw CP at this point no matter what it takes IMO! You have always been an advocate of CP. Does this still stand true after this mess?

chief31
04-22-2008, 12:24 PM
He is out to screw CP at this point no matter what it takes IMO! You have always been an advocate of CP. Does this still stand true after this mess?

I am not an advocate of CP. I just don't agree with the opinion that he bad at his job. And, to this point, I am not mad at C.P for this. If he brings Jared back, which I certainly believe is possible, then I will be quite o.k. with it. But, I will definitely be irate if he lets Jared go for anything that has been rumored about.:mob:

jakesmith
04-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Thats exactly why I'm to assume that JA is pissed at the Chiefs. I agree that he was probably told that he needed to prove himself last year and he did. CP is playing JAs off-field issues to try to garner a cheaper deal. It would seem to me that JA feels he is getting screwed and no longer wants to play for a team that doesnt really want him. I just dont see the Chiefs signed JA to a long term deal now. I think its beyond that now.

So to get the best out of what you have is to trade him and get some worth, because next year he will be even more pissed about not getting a long term deal.

BTW, I dont blame JA for any of whats going on. I place that blame firmly on the CHiefs front office.

chief31
04-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Thats exactly why I'm to assume that JA is pissed at the Chiefs. I agree that he was probably told that he needed to prove himself last year and he did. CP is playing JAs off-field issues to try to garner a cheaper deal. It would seem to me that JA feels he is getting screwed and no longer wants to play for a team that doesnt really want him. I just dont see the Chiefs signed JA to a long term deal now. I think its beyond that now.

So to get the best out of what you have is to trade him and get some worth, because next year he will be even more pissed about not getting a long term deal.

BTW, I dont blame JA for any of whats going on. I place that blame firmly on the CHiefs front office.

I understand that line of thinking, but I can't imagine Carl not talking to him in a way that suggests that he is willing to match any offers that he gets. Not that that means that he will actually match the offer, but that he doesn't want Jared to be that pissed. [quote]

Surely he is at least telling Jared that he wants to get a deal done.

Jared hasn't been acting like he is absolutely livid over this. More of a going with the flow attitude.

But, that is just what I envision going on there. Obviously, I am not in on any of the meetings or negotiations, so anything is possible. But I don't think that it is as hostile as so many are making it out ot be, because I am not hearing much in the way of hostile, spiteful words form either side.

Canada
04-22-2008, 01:19 PM
[quote=chief31;82885]

Come on now...a little patience on the side of JA and something could get worked out. LJ didn't sign his contract until week 2 of the preseason but he got his deal. I am tired of hearing about how Carl put JA in this position, but Jared has just as much to do with where they are right now. It's always so easy to blame the management!

hermhater
04-22-2008, 01:25 PM
When Jared said it was a win-win situation for both teams if he was traded for draft picks it showed me that he has no faith in the Chiefs management to make a run at a championship.

hermhater
04-22-2008, 01:26 PM
[quote=jakesmith;82912]

Come on now...a little patience on the side of JA and something could get worked out. LJ didn't sign his contract until week 2 of the preseason but he got his deal. I am tired of hearing about how Carl put JA in this position, but Jared has just as much to do with where they are right now. It's always so easy to blame the management!

I hope you are right dude.

If you're wrong I'm gonna take yer beer!

:11:

Canada
04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
[quote=Canada;82914]

I hope you are right dude.

If you're wrong I'm gonna take yer beer!

:11:

I might let you have a beer, but taking my beer will get you hurt!!

hermhater
04-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I don't want to get hurt, I will take whatever beer you give me.

royalswin100games
04-22-2008, 02:43 PM
[quote=hermhater;82916]

I might let you have a beer, but taking my beer will get you hurt!!

I don't want a beer, I want beers. Can I have beers? :bananen_smilies046:

DrunkHillbilly
04-22-2008, 03:03 PM
[quote=jakesmith;82912]

I agree! JA has something to do with this as well.

Canada
04-22-2008, 03:30 PM
[quote=Canada;82914]
I agree! JA has something to do with this as well.

You do know that you are agreeing with me right?

hermhater
04-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Crap DH and Canada agree on something.

It is truly the End of Days.

:scared2:

DrunkHillbilly
04-22-2008, 05:36 PM
[quote=DrunkHillbilly;82939]

You do know that you are agreeing with me right?
Don't push it buddy!!!! I didn't say I liked it but it is what it is!!!:D

Coach
04-22-2008, 05:46 PM
I am not an advocate of CP. I just don't agree with the opinion that he bad at his job. And, to this point, I am not mad at C.P for this. If he brings Jared back, which I certainly believe is possible, then I will be quite o.k. with it. But, I will definitely be irate if he lets Jared go for anything that has been rumored about.:mob:

I agree that letting Jared go for the offers that have been rumored would be a huge mistake.

[quote=jakesmith;82912]

Didn't Jared sign a contract to play this year for the Chiefs? That's what I thought. He needs to shut his mouth, report to camp on time, and he will get his long term deal from the Chiefs after the draft. Poor Jared making millions of dollars to play for the Chiefs! I hope he survives. He needs to man up to his contract.

hermhater
04-22-2008, 05:48 PM
He hasn't signed a contract with the Chiefs.

I keep seeing you post that, but it's wrong Coach.

He was slapped with the franchise tag because they couldn't work out a contract.

He would have become a free agent if Carl hadn't done that.

He should have just given him the contract he was asking for.

Coach
04-22-2008, 06:25 PM
He hasn't signed a contract with the Chiefs.

I keep seeing you post that, but it's wrong Coach.

He was slapped with the franchise tag because they couldn't work out a contract.

He would have become a free agent if Carl hadn't done that.

He should have just given him the contract he was asking for.

You are correct. My bad. I thought JA had one year left on this deal. Either way, he will get top $ from the Chiefs because of the Franchise tag rules. He needs to keep his nose clean and he will get a deal from the Chiefs before the season begins IMO.

hermhater
04-22-2008, 06:27 PM
You are correct. My bad. I thought JA had one year left on this deal. Either way, he will get top $ from the Chiefs because of the Franchise tag rules. He needs to keep his nose clean and he will get a deal from the Chiefs before the season begins IMO.

I hope you are right, but I am still worried about the Vikes screwing us with the "poison pill" BS.

That needs to be looked at by the NFL again, because it is absolutely a dirty negotiating tactic.

Coach
04-22-2008, 06:39 PM
I hope you are right, but I am still worried about the Vikes screwing us with the "poison pill" BS.

That needs to be looked at by the NFL again, because it is absolutely a dirty negotiating tactic.

In that scenario, wouldn't the Chiefs get two 1st rd picks. 09' and '10. That could be a great thing. We will likely need to spread the cap hit over a couple of years anyhow. We have so many picks this year.

hermhater
04-22-2008, 06:54 PM
In that scenario, wouldn't the Chiefs get two 1st rd picks. 09' and '10. That could be a great thing. We will likely need to spread the cap hit over a couple of years anyhow. We have so many picks this year.

Yes we would get those picks, but I would prefer having their picks this year because I think the Vikes will easily win 2-3 more games with JA on their roster.

This would move them down in the draft (granted no one knows how far) and give us worse choices with their first round picks.

The way the Franchise Tag system works is being manipulated by shady dealings.

greg3564
04-22-2008, 08:13 PM

I'm not so sure. With the circus act running the Chiefs, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they let him go. If the Chiefs were really interested in signing him, they would have done so and paraded him in front of the cameras and touted how they thought he was great and deserved the money, etc.

I think there is some nasty bad blood somewhere and Allen really rubbed managements nose in their own cr@p and put up awesome numbers to spite them. I would have done the same thing after they way they treated him last year and tagged him.

The Chiefs management is so stupid. The season hasn't even come close to starting and I'm already getting irritated with those clowns.

hermhater
04-22-2008, 08:19 PM
I'm not so sure. With the circus act running the Chiefs, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they let him go. If the Chiefs were really interested in signing him, they would have done so and paraded him in front of the cameras and touted how they thought he was great and deserved the money, etc.

I think there is some nasty bad blood somewhere and Allen really rubbed managements nose in their own cr@p and put up awesome numbers to spite them. I would have done the same thing after they way they treated him last year and tagged him.

The Chiefs management is so stupid. The season hasn't even come close to starting and I'm already getting irritated with those clowns.

I'm getting excited about the draft!

:yahoo:

Chiefster
04-22-2008, 09:46 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Herm and Carl to trade Allen and take a DE in the draft, once again ignoring the holes in the offensive line.

hermhater
04-23-2008, 02:02 AM
It wouldn't surprise me to see Herm and Carl to trade Allen and take a DE in the draft, once again ignoring the holes in the offensive line.

With this trade I am officially changing my mind about the Chiefs drafting Ryan at number 5.

With the Long signing and the Allen trade, it's too hard to call.

You guys argue it out amongst yourselves, I don't have a prediction anymore.

Canada
04-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Did you hear we traded Jared Allen?

Hayvern
04-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Apparently it is a done deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3362701

The big point of this is that Allen made it clear he was not going to sign long term with the Chiefs. That falls squarely on the shoulders of Peterson and Edwards. Allen made it clear that if they franchised him that he would not be signing long term. Not 2 weeks after that announcement Peterson slapped the franchise tag on him.

The article states that we got the 17th pick in the 2008 draft in the deal along with a second and a third apparently. I think this was the idea all along, now if we cannot get an Offensive lineman in the draft with the 5th round pick, we will surely get one with that 17th round pick.

hermhater
04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Apparently it is a done deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3362701

The big point of this is that Allen made it clear he was not going to sign long term with the Chiefs. That falls squarely on the shoulders of Peterson and Edwards. Allen made it clear that if they franchised him that he would not be signing long term. Not 2 weeks after that announcement Peterson slapped the franchise tag on him.

The article states that we got the 17th pick in the 2008 draft in the deal along with a second and a third apparently. I think this was the idea all along, now if we cannot get an Offensive lineman in the draft with the 5th round pick, we will surely get one with that 17th round pick.

It was the 17th in the first round, and 2 3rd round picks. I can't remember exactly where they fall though.