PDA

View Full Version : Latest on Jake Long

DrunkHillbilly
04-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Reports: Dolphins in serious negotiations with Jake Long

It's looking more likely that the Miami Dolphins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia) will select Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=12044) with the top overall selection in Saturday's NFL draft.

NFL Draft Central

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/04/78.jpg The NFL draft is April 26 and 27 on ESPN, starting at 3 p.m. ET. For updated coverage, bookmark our Draft Central page. Index (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/index)

According to several reports, the Dolphins are in serious negotiations with Long and the Palm Beach Post reported Tuesday that an announcement on an agreement could be just days away.
A source told the Post that "there's a very good chance" Long will sign with Miami before the draft begins at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday.
Despite speculation that Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells really plans to select Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=12144) or Virginia defensive end Chris Long (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=11845), sources told ESPN's Michael Smith that since the Dolphins opened negotiations with Jake Long they were talking to him exclusively.
Long, a 6-foot-7, 313-pound senior who moved to left tackle in 2006 and started his final 26 games, was an All-America selection and Big Ten lineman of the year in each of his last two seasons.
Offensive line is considered the biggest need for the Dolphins, who went 1-15 last year.

chief31
04-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Reports: Dolphins in serious negotiations with Jake Long

It's looking more likely that the Miami Dolphins (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=mia) will select Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=12044) with the top overall selection in Saturday's NFL draft.

NFL Draft Central

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/04/78.jpg The NFL draft is April 26 and 27 on ESPN, starting at 3 p.m. ET. For updated coverage, bookmark our Draft Central page. Index (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/index)

According to several reports, the Dolphins are in serious negotiations with Long and the Palm Beach Post reported Tuesday that an announcement on an agreement could be just days away.
A source told the Post that "there's a very good chance" Long will sign with Miami before the draft begins at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday.
Despite speculation that Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells really plans to select Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=12144) or Virginia defensive end Chris Long (http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?draftyear=2008&id=11845), sources told ESPN's Michael Smith that since the Dolphins opened negotiations with Jake Long they were talking to him exclusively.
Long, a 6-foot-7, 313-pound senior who moved to left tackle in 2006 and started his final 26 games, was an All-America selection and Big Ten lineman of the year in each of his last two seasons.
Offensive line is considered the biggest need for the Dolphins, who went 1-15 last year.

Not by most. I thought they were happy with their o-line from last season.

I think that that would be the best thing for them to do, but I don't want them to.:lol:

hermhater
04-22-2008, 01:29 PM
I have heard that the Dolphins will announce the signing of the number one pick today in just 15 minutes.

Canada
04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
I have heard that the Dolphins will announce the signing of the number one pick today in just 15 minutes.

What time did you post this? I am an hour ahead here so they announced it like45 minutes ago. I will go see what I can find!!

hermhater
04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
What time did you post this? I am an hour ahead here so they announced it like45 minutes ago. I will go see what I can find!!

They just signed Jake Long to a 5 year 57.5 million dollar contract with $30 million guaranteed.

Canada
04-22-2008, 01:37 PM
They just signed Jake Long to a 5 year 57.5 million dollar contract with $30 million guaranteed.

Thats old news, I heard that like an hour ago!! :p

hermhater
04-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Thats old news, I heard that like an hour ago!! :p

Well you should have told me.

anaeelbackwards
04-22-2008, 01:44 PM
the dolphins needed jake long more than we did anyways.:drunkhb:

Canada
04-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Well you should have told me.

I posted it at about 1:00 here, you should be getting it soon

Canada
04-22-2008, 01:49 PM

hermhater
04-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the info, now how does this effect the Chiefs?

Canada
04-22-2008, 01:55 PM

plus the chiefs wont have jake long

hermhater
04-22-2008, 02:12 PM
OK now when will the Rams sign their number one pick?

Canada
04-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Monday

royalswin100games
04-22-2008, 02:17 PM

I've heard the Rams are still undecided about taking either Dorsey or C. Long. I think they'll take Dorsey.

The Rams probably won't sign their pick before the draft to keep the rest of the teams with high draft picks on their toes.

This move from the Dolphins was smart. Why can't we get management like that?

Canada
04-22-2008, 02:24 PM

I've heard the Rams are still undecided about taking either Dorsey or C. Long. I think they'll take Dorsey.

The Rams probably won't sign their pick before the draft to keep the rest of the teams with high draft picks on their toes.

royalswin100games
04-22-2008, 02:28 PM

:lol:

hermhater
04-22-2008, 03:51 PM

This makes no sense to me.

I have been asking this question for about a week now and still have not gotten an answer.

Why was everyone worrying about what the Dolphins were going to do, and wondering about their subterfuge.

Essentially the Rams have the first pick now since Jake has been signed by Miami.

Why would they need to keep any other team on their toes?

They have the pick and will take who they want.

I just don't get why they would need to be sneaky.

texaschief
04-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Poor Dolphins. Back to back poor first round picks. I can't believe the Dolphins drafted what will be ultimately be a great RT with their #1 pick.

hermhater
04-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Poor Dolphins. Back to back poor first round picks. I can't believe the Dolphins drafted what will be ultimately be a great RT with their #1 pick.

I thought you were the guy saying earlier how great Parcells was at building the Cowboys for Phillips?

Long is gonna be a stud at LT.

texaschief
04-22-2008, 06:29 PM
I thought you were the guy saying earlier how great Parcells was at building the Cowboys for Phillips?

Long is gonna be a stud at LT.

He DID do a good job with the Cowboys....but he started with DE. lol. Long won't stick at LT.

hermhater
04-22-2008, 06:31 PM
He DID do a good job with the Cowboys....but he started with DE. lol. Long won't stick at LT.

So you think you are a better judge of talent than the Tuna, or you think he is stupid enough to take a RT with the first pick.

I'm confused, which one is it?

texaschief
04-22-2008, 06:32 PM
So you think you are a better judge of talent than the Tuna, or you think he is stupid enough to take a RT with the first pick.

I'm confused, which one is it?

yes :lol:

hermhater
04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
yes :lol:

OK, as long as I understand.

When anyone doesn't do what you predict they will do, then they are obviously wrong.

Gotcha!

:wink:

Coach
04-22-2008, 06:37 PM
I'm just glad that the uncertainty of J Long is now gone. I would love to see the Rams get the 2nd pick done prior to Saturday as well.

texaschief
04-22-2008, 06:40 PM
OK, as long as I understand.

When anyone doesn't do what you predict they will do, then they are obviously wrong.

Gotcha!

:wink:

It's not that. I have no problem with someone taking an OT with the first pick. I just don't think you should take a guy you're not sure is going to be your starting LT for the next decade or so. If there is ANY doubt about him starting at LT, the #1 pick shouldn't be that guy.

That's just my opinion. I know I'd hate to be that guy with the #1 pick to pick this guy just to have him end up on the right side. Talk about a waste of a #1 pick.

hermhater
04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm just glad that the uncertainty of J Long is now gone. I would love to see the Rams get the 2nd pick done prior to Saturday as well.

Same here.

I would love all those teams ahead of us to get their picks out of the way, so we can really speculate on what we are gonna get.

hermhater
04-22-2008, 06:44 PM
It's not that. I have no problem with someone taking an OT with the first pick. I just don't think you should take a guy you're not sure is going to be your starting LT for the next decade or so. If there is ANY doubt about him starting at LT, the #1 pick shouldn't be that guy.

That's just my opinion. I know I'd hate to be that guy with the #1 pick to pick this guy just to have him end up on the right side. Talk about a waste of a #1 pick.

Why wouldn't Jake be their starting LT for the next decade?

He is a monster and I think he's gonna help out the Dolphins as much as that guy the Browns took last year.

texaschief
04-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Why wouldn't Jake be their starting LT for the next decade?

He is a monster and I think he's gonna help out the Dolphins as much as that guy the Browns took last year.

First off, the Browns didn't take Thomas at #1. Also, there weren't any questions about his ability to stick at the LT spot. Long COULD turn out to be a fantastic LT. I just think it's an extremely high risk to take Long at #1 with while there are DEFINITELY questions out there about him being a LT or RT. Usually, you're taking a LT in the first round while possibly being able to pick up a RT in the 3rd or so.

Like i said, if he ends up being a spectacular RT, this pick could go down as a HUGE bust because he's not playing on the left side.

hermhater
04-22-2008, 06:51 PM
First off, the Browns didn't take Thomas at #1. Also, there weren't any questions about his ability to stick at the LT spot. Long COULD turn out to be a fantastic LT. I just think it's an extremely high risk to take Long at #1 with while there are DEFINITELY questions out there about him being a LT or RT. Usually, you're taking a LT in the first round while possibly being able to pick up a RT in the 3rd or so.

Like i said, if he ends up being a spectacular RT, this pick could go down as a HUGE bust because he's not playing on the left side.

Maybe Parcells has his eye on a talented left handed QB.

texaschief
04-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Maybe Parcells has his eye on a talented left handed QB.

They better figure out which side he's going to play before they decide which QB to go after...just another reason why i think the Dolphins messed up here.

Besides, even if they were gonna play a lefty QB, they could've waited to draft a great RT till later in the draft, possibly #32 even.

hermhater
04-22-2008, 06:58 PM
They better figure out which side he's going to play before they decide which QB to go after...just another reason why i think the Dolphins messed up here.

Besides, even if they were gonna play a lefty QB, they could've waited to draft a great RT till later in the draft, possibly #32 even.

I was just kidding about the lefty, guy.

I still think Jake is gonna be a spectacular LT barring injuries.

DrunkHillbilly
04-22-2008, 07:03 PM

Come on now dude, your grasping for straws aren't you!! Is there any real certainty with any pick in the draft? We could go through the long line of busts if you want. When you talking about lineman, they could end up anywhere in a couple of years. The NFL game is a totally different game than the college game but if O line is where your most glaring need is, why wouldn't you pick the best O lineman in the draft to try and improve your team?

texaschief
04-22-2008, 07:08 PM
have you seen the Dolphins play? they've got holes EVERYWHERE on that team. I'm just saying that if he could even possibly end up on the right side, then that pick could've been used to better fix those holes by waiting a round to draft an OT while fixing a hole on defense or at QB with that 1st spot...that's all i'm saying.
I don't doubt that he's going to be a really good OT....I'm just worried about which side of the line he's going to set up shop.

DrunkHillbilly
04-22-2008, 07:34 PM
have you seen the Dolphins play? they've got holes EVERYWHERE on that team. I'm just saying that if he could even possibly end up on the right side, then that pick could've been used to better fix those holes by waiting a round to draft an OT while fixing a hole on defense or at QB with that 1st spot...that's all i'm saying.
I don't doubt that he's going to be a really good OT....I'm just worried about which side of the line he's going to set up shop.
I hear ya but when an O lineman is getting this much press from EVERYBODY in the business, I think it says something about him. Now, if he ends up on the right side, then that's on the Dolphins! A similar situation occured here in Az when the Bidwills refused to pay Leonard Davis 1st rd money to play guard which is where he played in college. They put him on the outside and he was like a statue and let people go around him all day long. When he did move, it was to soon hence all the false start penalties on him! Wouldn't ya know it, he goes to Dallas, they move him to guard and he absolutly DOMINATES!!!! Goes to the Probowl too!!!!

royalswin100games
04-22-2008, 08:03 PM
I hear ya but when an O lineman is getting this much press from EVERYBODY in the business, I think it says something about him. Now, if he ends up on the right side, then that's on the Dolphins! A similar situation occured here in Az when the Bidwills refused to pay Leonard Davis 1st rd money to play guard which is where he played in college. They put him on the outside and he was like a statue and let people go around him all day long. When he did move, it was to soon hence all the false start penalties on him! Wouldn't ya know it, he goes to Dallas, they move him to guard and he absolutly DOMINATES!!!! Goes to the Probowl too!!!!

It's all a crap shoot. An expensive one for the phins.

Nice job bringing up Davis. That guy pulled a 180 when he started playing for the girls.

:bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
04-22-2008, 10:09 PM
This is depressing!

texaschief
04-22-2008, 11:50 PM

I'm not debating on whether or not he's the best OT in this drat. You're right, he has been much hyped. But i think there could be better LT prospects in this draft. It's just my opinion. LTs usually have to be quite mobile at that position and the one knock on the guy is that he's not the mobile OT some people wish he was...which is why there are questions about whether he'd be a good LT.

royalswin100games
04-22-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm not debating on whether or not he's the best OT in this drat. You're right, he has been much hyped. But i think there could be better LT prospects in this draft. It's just my opinion. LTs usually have to be quite mobile at that position and the one knock on the guy is that he's not the mobile OT some people wish he was...which is why there are questions about whether he'd be a good LT.

I've actually heard that Chris Williams out of Vandy would make a pro bowl as a pro LT before Jake Long.

Canada
04-23-2008, 09:30 AM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/04/136.jpg

texaschief
04-23-2008, 01:35 PM
LMAO....some REALLY creative person has a little too much time on their hands.....are really loves beer....wait, that's your basement, isn't it Canada?

:lol: Come on...take credit for your work :sign0098:

Canada
04-23-2008, 01:42 PM
LMAO....some REALLY creative person has a little too much time on their hands.....are really loves beer....wait, that's your basement, isn't it Canada?

Not the basement, the garage!!

hermhater
04-23-2008, 01:56 PM

Not the basement, the garage!!

Absolutely friggin' awesome!

You need to work on the "K" in the "KC" though.

Step it up biznitch, don't disrespect the Arrowhead.

Canada
04-23-2008, 03:19 PM
Wait until you see what I did now....but I have to charge the camera batteries first!!

hermhater
04-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Wait until you see what I did now....but I have to charge the camera batteries first!!

I saw it, and it really did kick ***!

You're a true artist!

:sign0098: :bananen_smilies046:

Coach
04-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Awesome!

Probably took you 1 day to get the beer caps and 3 days to design it.

hermhater
04-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Awesome!

Probably took you 1 day to get the beer caps and 3 days to design it.

:lol:

jakesmith
04-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Canada you got a new calling. You should sell those things, plus you can drink all the beer you want and write it off as a business expense. :bananen_smilies046:

hermhater
04-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Canada you got a new calling. You should sell those things, plus you can drink all the beer you want and write it off as a business expense. :bananen_smilies046:

That right there is excellent tax advice!

Canada
04-24-2008, 02:04 PM

It would be pretty expensive art.
1400 caps (approx) /24= 58.3333

58 Cases of beer x $40 per case = $2320 that my buddy I have spent on beer since the playoffs started.

huh...kinda wish I hadn't of done this little calculation now. Oh well ...:beer:

anaeelbackwards
04-24-2008, 02:06 PM

58 Cases of beer x $40 per case = $2320 that my buddy I have spent on beer since the playoffs started.

huh...kinda wish I hadn't of done this little calculation now. Oh well ...:beer:

hahahaha, its for the beer.

remember, its for the beer.:welcome: :beer:

Canada
04-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Its a good thing beer is $40 a case here. If I paid 15 for a case, I would be dead by now!!

m0ef0e
04-24-2008, 02:07 PM

ROFLMAO

That just means you will need to sell your art for $4,000 to make it lucrative.

Make a Vikings one, they'll pay it.

anaeelbackwards
04-24-2008, 02:12 PM
ROFLMAO

That just means you will need to sell your art for $4,000 to make it lucrative.

Make a Vikings one, they'll pay it.

oooooooo

i wonder what brew has purple beer caps?

rbedgood
04-24-2008, 02:15 PM
Awesome!

Probably took you 1 hour to get the beer caps and 3 days to design it.

FYP...

jakesmith
04-24-2008, 02:15 PM
oooooooo

i wonder what brew has purple beer caps?

Probably gonna be some micro-brew and that will mean more costs.

Besides Canada if you say these are rare collectables, you can charge a premium price.

BTW the Vikings comment was hilarious!!!

hermhater
04-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Its a good thing beer is $40 a case here. If I paid 15 for a case, I would be dead by now!!

Nancy.

Canada
04-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Nancy.

remember when I came to KC last year....and we met up after I had been drinkin all day and you came out at about 7 oclock and then we went drinkin and then we went back and drank at your place and then you couldn't stand up and then you fell asleep....din't think so. Lightweight. Saturday night was awesome though wasn.t it.....oh wait, you were too hungover to go drinkin again!! My bad, I thought you were someone else!! :p

Wski Girl
04-25-2008, 11:49 AM
everything is more expensive in Canada, guess Its good I wasnt old enough to drink when I was there!!! Great place though!!:yahoo:

rbedgood
04-25-2008, 11:49 AM
remember when I came to KC last year....and we met up after I had been drinkin all day and you came out at about 7 oclock and then we went drinkin and then we went back and drank at your place and then you couldn't stand up and then you fell asleep....din't think so. Lightweight. Saturday night was awesome though wasn.t it.....oh wait, you were too hungover to go drinkin again!! My bad, I thought you were someone else!! :p

Ummm...you forgot the part about his girlfriend giving you a ride because he was too smashed to ummm...oh I'll leave that alone.

anaeelbackwards
04-25-2008, 11:56 AM

homeopener weekend is gonna be a blast.

i can't wait.

especially the drinkFEST!

i can't wait to be sitting elbow to elbow next to canada to measure up my REAL DRINKIN SKILLZ.. hah

hermhater
04-25-2008, 04:04 PM

Yeah I remember you were so drunk you were threatening the cab drivers and I had to call like 5 different places.

Lightweight.

everything is more expensive in Canada, guess Its good I wasnt old enough to drink when I was there!!! Great place though!!:yahoo:

Why were you in Canada?

Ummm...you forgot the part about his girlfriend giving you a ride because he was too smashed to ummm...oh I'll leave that alone.

She had to give him a ride so we didn't have a drunk vomiting Canuck sprawled out on the floor when we got up!

:11:

homeopener weekend is gonna be a blast.

i can't wait.

especially the drinkFEST!

i can't wait to be sitting elbow to elbow next to canada to measure up my REAL DRINKIN SKILLZ.. hah

This is gonna be a blast!

:yahoo: :bananen_smilies046:

Canada
04-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Lightweight.

She had to give him a ride so we didn't have a drunk vomiting Canuck sprawled out on the floor when we got up!

:11:

Remember how awesome Saturday night was?

We all know who the lightweight is!!

hermhater
04-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Remember how awesome Saturday night was?

We all know who the lightweight is!!

leeana could out drink you buddy!

Canada
04-25-2008, 04:59 PM
leeana could out drink you buddy!

Yeah, but you can't!! :bananen_smilies046: natty light....:lol:

hermhater
04-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah, but you can't!! :bananen_smilies046: natty light....:lol:

I can drink you under the table!

Canada
04-25-2008, 05:43 PM
I can drink under the table!

That is becuase you are only 3'5"

hermhater
04-25-2008, 05:46 PM
That is becuase you are only 3'5"

You're a funny guy!

NOW EVERYONE WHO IS GOING TO THE HOME OPENER NEEDS TO CLICK ON THIS LINK AND LET CANADA KNOW IF HE HAS YOUR TICKET ORDER RIGHT!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/showthread.php?p=83984#post83984

Wski Girl
04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Why were you in Canada?

I went there with the high school jazz band when I was a junior. We did a show at Casa Loma and Canadas Wonderland, and just went on a class trip. Good time!

Canada
04-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I can drink you under the table!

sure thing PP!! :p

chief31
05-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't doubt that he's going to be a really good OT....I'm just worried about which side of the line he's going to set up shop.Anything is possible.

It's all a crap shoot. An expensive one for the phins.

Nice job bringing up Davis. That guy pulled a 180 when he started playing for the girls.

Hmm... An OG being forced to play OT and somehow it didn't work out? But he played well at OG? That's wierd.:D

Mike Mayock just likes rating the best as second best. The NFL has a drill to test for that. It's the three-cone drill. Jake finished ahead of all of the other first round talent there.

Jake allowed one sack in '07. But, as I mentioned, anything is possible.

texaschief
05-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Anything is possible.

Mike Mayock just likes rating the best as second best. The NFL has a drill to test for that. It's the three-cone drill. Jake finished ahead of all of the other first round talent there.

Jake allowed one sack in '07. But, as I mentioned, anything is possible.

You're right....he COULD be a LT...who knows.

chief31
05-03-2008, 04:07 PM
You're right....he COULD be a LT...who knows.

You forgot to address the key point there...

The NFL has a drill to test for that. It's the three-cone drill. Jake finished ahead of all of the other first round talent there.