PDA

View Full Version : 2 O-line picks in the 1st round.

Coach
04-23-2008, 11:15 PM
What would you guys think about using both of the first round picks on the O-line?

Something like:
#5 Branden Albert
#17 Jeff Otah

Then using the majority of the remaining picks on the defense. This would really help to solidify the o-line. Then we could Brodie 1 full season behind a good line to figure out if he is the real deal. If he isn't, we'd have another high pick next year to go get a franchise QB.

Not saying I'm in agreement with this strategy. I'm just curious what others think of this kind of strategy.

hermhater
04-23-2008, 11:22 PM
What would you guys think about using both of the first round picks on the O-line?

Something like:
#5 Branden Albert
#17 Jeff Otah

Then using the majority of the remaining picks on the defense. This would really help to solidify the o-line. Then we could Brodie 1 full season behind a good line to figure out if he is the real deal. If he isn't, we'd have another high pick next year to go get a franchise QB.

Not saying I'm in agreement with this strategy. I'm just curious what others think of this kind of strategy.

I think this is an absolutely wonderful strategy that would be friggin' impossible to get Herm to do.

Now that Jared it gone we will almost definitely go for Gholston or Long if they are available.

If they are not, I just can't see Herm taking anything other than a Defensive player now with our first pick since Jared is gone.

I would seriously like us to spend 6 picks on the O line.

tornadospotter
04-23-2008, 11:53 PM
With ja a vike queen now, I would go for Chris Long, drafting a # 5 the expense of signing would be more justified, imo, then go o-line.

texaschief
04-24-2008, 02:41 AM

Something like:
#5 Branden Albert
#17 Jeff Otah

I think Albert is an extremely long reach if you're looking for a LT at #5. He couldn't beat out D'Brick at Virginia to play LT and i hate fast risers in the 2 weeks leading up to the draft. I for one don't want to waste our #5 pick on a guard when we could get a serviceable guard in the 3rd round.

Now, if Dorsey or Long aren't there at #5, i hope we trade down to 8 or so and take Clady then if it's another OL you want at 17, that would be fine by me.

We obviously need two OTs. I don't want a guy like Albert who COULD play OT, but will probably end up at guard. Clady and Williams would be the dream scenario if we took two OTs with the first two picks.

tornadospotter
04-24-2008, 03:06 AM
I hope Chris Long is there, and I hope we take him! Time will tell what will happen! Wish I did not have to work Saturday! This will probably be the most exciting draft for the Chiefs fans, that I can rember, this many picks! I am not still very happy about losing JA, but that is over so we move on.

hermhater
04-24-2008, 03:11 AM
With ja a vike queen now, I would go for Chris Long, drafting a # 5 the expense of signing would be more justified, imo, then go o-line.

If Chris Long is available we take him.

This is my official changing my opinion because I was wrong decision

Guru
04-24-2008, 03:12 AM
I hope Chris Long is there, and I hope we take him! Time will tell what will happen! Wish I did not have to work Saturday! This will probably be the most exciting draft for the Chiefs fans, that I can rember, this many picks! I am not still very happy about losing JA, but that is over so we move on.

Make Howie suffer!!!!

tornadospotter
04-24-2008, 03:16 AM
Make Howie suffer!!!!
How sweet that will be! Howie cheering on the Chiefs! Yes!!!! I like that.:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Polleo Pit Man
04-24-2008, 03:34 AM
i think the raiders will grab chris long?

hermhater
04-24-2008, 03:49 AM

If they get the chance, yes they will.

Let's start arguing!

:yahoo:

Guru
04-24-2008, 03:59 AM
I don't know. They are pretty high on McFadden.

Three7s
04-24-2008, 06:24 AM
Yeah, and Al Davis will completely ignore the needs of the Raiders horrible defense, that's not surprising at all. Tell me something though, you think it could be trouble having to face a guy like McFadden twice a year?

chief31
04-24-2008, 12:44 PM

Something like:
#5 Branden Albert
#17 Jeff Otah

Most of you know how big I am about the offensive line, and if we were (fat chance) to take o-line with the first two picks, I would prefer it to be

#5 - Clady (Rather trade down)

#17 Cherilus or, even better... #36 Albert

Otah looks stiff in both game footage, and at the combine. It may be nothing, but it worries me.

However, if I were in the drivers seat at draft time, I would have to take DE Chris Long, or DT Glenn Dorsey if I were unable to trade down.

I think Albert is an extremely long reach if you're looking for a LT at #5. He couldn't beat out D'Brick at Virginia to play LT and i hate fast risers in the 2 weeks leading up to the draft. I for one don't want to waste our #5 pick on a guard when we could get a serviceable guard in the 3rd round.

Clady and Williams would be the dream scenario if we took two OTs with the first two picks.

Normally I would blast that kind of comment, but I definitely agree that Albert would be a tremendous reach at #5. Two months ago, Albert was being projected to the early/middle second round. Did he have an awesome season since then?

I would be O.K. if we got him in the second round.

I do like the Clady/Williams choices.

Rams.

Fancy meeting you here!

jakesmith
04-24-2008, 01:51 PM
The O-line picks would be good.

I doubt C. Long will fall as far as #5. It would be great if he did, because he would definately be a good pick and a POSSIBLE replacement for JA.

I still havent got anyone to respond to my senario, that I think would be ideal. Here goes again.... If Matt Ryan is still available at #5. Dangle that pick in front of the Ravens. I think they would truely bite, because their QB is worse than ours. We get their pick (7th i think) and possibly a 3rd or early 4th pick. Then we pick with #7 an O-line. The guys we are talking about will probably still be available at 7 and we dont have to pay them near as much as a 5th round pick.

rbedgood
04-24-2008, 01:54 PM
I think the Ravens are at #8, but doesn't change the results of previous post.

DrunkHillbilly
04-24-2008, 02:03 PM

Now, if Dorsey or Long aren't there at #5, i hope we trade down to 8 or so and take Clady then if it's another OL you want at 17, that would be fine by me.

We obviously need two OTs. I don't want a guy like Albert who COULD play OT, but will probably end up at guard. Clady and Williams would be the dream scenario if we took two OTs with the first two picks.
I think Clady is just as big a reach as Albert. At this point I'm hoping we trade down or take Dorsey because C. Long won't be there at #5.

Canada
04-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Do we have any DT's that could possibly convert to end? McBride or Tyler and then take Dorsey to replace that spot?

hermhater
04-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Do we have any DT's that could possibly convert to end? McBride or Tyler and then take Dorsey to replace that spot?

Why don't you try out?

:beer:

texaschief
04-24-2008, 05:41 PM

The Tank is a true DT...he, Hali and Dorsey would be horrific for opposing O-lines. If anyone could slide to end it would have to be Turk. Some say he's too slow to play end while others say he's too small to play DT...so who knows.

hermhater
04-24-2008, 06:00 PM

We don't need to move anyone to end, we are gonna get Jason Taylor from the Dolphins if we are smart.

texaschief
04-24-2008, 06:00 PM
We don't need to move anyone to end, we are gonna get Jason Taylor from the Dolphins if we are smart.

you can't be serious.

hermhater
04-24-2008, 06:02 PM
you can't be serious.

Why not?

We replace Allen by trading our #17 first round pick for Taylor, then we still have the two 3rd round picks left from the trade.

We win all around.

texaschief
04-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Why not?

We replace Allen by trading our #17 first round pick for Taylor, then we still have the two 3rd round picks left from the trade.

We win all around.

We trade a 25 year old DE to get a 34 year old DE? No thanks. I'd rather have the picks. While at THIS VERY POINT in time, i DO think Taylor is the better of the two DEs, i just don't think it would be smart to spend a first round pick and that kind of money on a guy you can't build around for the long term.

hermhater
04-24-2008, 06:09 PM
We trade a 25 year old DE to get a 34 year old DE? No thanks. I'd rather have the picks. While at THIS VERY POINT in time, i DO think Taylor is the better of the two DEs, i just don't think it would be smart to spend a first round pick and that kind of money on a guy you can't build around for the long term.

You're right he's too old.

texaschief
04-24-2008, 06:23 PM
I actually think we're going to be able to draft C. Long. I think Dmac goes to the Raiders. I also think Long is probably the 4th player on the Raiders' draft board. Obviously Dorsey, Dmac are ahead of him, but i also think Ellis could be ahead of Long. The Raiders desperately need to replace Sapp and aren't in that desperate need of a DE as opposed to a DT.

I think the Chiefs believe this as well considering the Allen trade didn't happen until they were positive that Long was no longer available. I don't think it was coincidental that the trade happened so quickly after the J. Long signing.

By trading Allen, they got what could be an equally talented player in Long while additionally acquiring a couple 3rd round picks. I think this was a very good move if....IF Long is there at 5.

hermhater
04-24-2008, 06:33 PM
IF

Is that a big enough "if" for ya?

texaschief
04-24-2008, 06:36 PM
IF

.....he's not, the Chiefs HAVE to trade out of that 5 spot.

Chiefster
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM

Something like:
#5 Branden Albert
#17 Jeff Otah

I think we should use those two draft picks to get the very best two O-linemen available that the draft has to offer. But Carl and Herm will use at least one of them on a DE to attempt to fill the hole left behind by Allen's departure which occurred as a result of Carl's huge brain fart.

leaves
04-24-2008, 09:44 PM
I would agree with it, but after hearing some new news, my mind rattled. Jason Taylor on the table? Empty DE spot? 2 1st rd. picks?

Just me, you dont have to agree at all, but I would use the 5th pick for a O-Line or trade someone down lil bit for their 1st picks this yr and next. Then take the OL at that spot, nothing past 14/15th. Then for the 17th pick, I trade for Jason Taylor. Maybe even grab a OG 17th and trade some other picks for Taylor. Later on I grab a guy like Henne or Flacco. I grab another OL, and I grab a 2nd/3rd rd. WR.

hermhater
04-24-2008, 09:48 PM
I would agree with it, but after hearing some new news, my mind rattled. Jason Taylor on the table? Empty DE spot? 2 1st rd. picks?

Just me, you dont have to agree at all, but I would use the 5th pick for a O-Line or trade someone down lil bit for their 1st picks this yr and next. Then take the OL at that spot, nothing past 14/15th. Then for the 17th pick, I trade for Jason Taylor. Maybe even grab a OG 17th and trade some other picks for Taylor. Later on I grab a guy like Henne or Flacco. I grab another OL, and I grab a 2nd/3rd rd. WR.

I've brought up Taylor a few times with mixed results.

Some think he's too old for what we are building here in KC.

I think he's a little old for a first round pick, but he would be an awesome addition to the team.

leaves
04-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Glad to agree on that note. I do think he's a lil old. But Im sure he'd give a good 3-4yrs. idk bout the 1st rd. pick.

hermhater
04-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Glad to agree on that note. I do think he's a lil old. But Im sure he'd give a good 3-4yrs. idk bout the 1st rd. pick.

Don't ask texaschief about him or he will call you stupid.

He did it to me and I'm still crying.

texaschief
04-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Don't ask texaschief about him or he will call you stupid.

He did it to me and I'm still crying.

I didn't call you stupid yet. :lol:

hermhater
04-24-2008, 11:41 PM
I didn't call you stupid yet. :lol: :piss:

FYR!

:D

Coach
04-25-2008, 12:00 AM
No on trading a 1st for Taylor. This team is building for the future. Now I'm thinking that J Long is gone by #5. So we end up taking Sedrick Ellis or Vernon Gholston.

But now I think I'd like to see us take Matt Ryan with our first pick if he's there. Very risky, but he could be a franchise QB. He seems to be very smart and a game tape junkie. I worry what some of the other guys will do once they get a #5 payday. There really is no wrong choice at #5 because of all of the team needs. The buckeye fans I have talked to don't seem that high on Gholston though, so I'm hoping for someone other than him.

texaschief
04-25-2008, 12:04 AM
No on trading a 1st for Taylor. This team is building for the future. Now I'm thinking that J Long is gone by #5. So we end up taking Sedrick Ellis or Vernon Gholston.

But now I think I'd like to see us take Matt Ryan with our first pick if he's there. Very risky, but he could be a franchise QB. He seems to be very smart and a game tape junkie. I worry what some of the other guys will do once they get a #5 payday. There really is no wrong choice at #5 because of all of the team needs. The buckeye fans I have talked to don't seem that high on Gholston though, so I'm hoping for someone other than him.

I think we KNOW by now that J. Long will be gone considering he's signed a contract. I personally think the other Long will be the pick. The Raiders don't need him as much as they need a franchise RB. Dorsey goes #2, Ryan at #3 and DMac at #4. Long will be the pick.

Coach
04-25-2008, 12:06 AM
I think we KNOW by now that J. Long will be gone considering he's signed a contract. I personally think the other Long will be the pick. The Raiders don't need him as much as they need a franchise RB. Dorsey goes #2, Ryan at #3 and DMac at #4. Long will be the pick.

I meant Chris Long.

texaschief
04-25-2008, 12:08 AM
I meant Chris Long.

oh....

hermhater
04-25-2008, 12:08 AM

I changed my first round #5 pick from Ryan to no friggin' clue after the JA trade.

I won't even venture a guess at this point.

tammietailgator
04-25-2008, 01:19 AM
I changed my first round #5 pick from Ryan to no friggin' clue after the JA trade.

I won't even venture a guess at this point.
Repeat it 3 times Biermann!!!! Lets all say it out loud!!

hermhater
04-25-2008, 01:23 AM
Repeat after me... Biermann... I want to start a campaign!!!

I'm not willing to go that far, but if he's available in the 3rd round I say we take him!

:bananen_smilies046:

texaschief
04-25-2008, 01:26 AM
I'm not willing to go that far, but if he's available in the 3rd round I say we take him!

In the 3rd?!!!! MAYBE....MAYBE the 5th...but i'm not willing to spend a 3rd on that guy. We need to take Zuttah and Nelson with at least 2 of those picks and probably a CB as well.

hermhater
04-25-2008, 01:27 AM
In the 3rd?!!!! MAYBE....MAYBE the 5th...but i'm not willing to spend a 3rd on that guy. We need to take Zuttah and Nelson with at least 2 of those picks and probably a CB as well.

Jared was a 4th round pick so I guess we bust on this hand.

tammietailgator
04-25-2008, 01:31 AM
Nope 4th round would be good, but we need him - trust me, if they are smart.... they need to follow what has worked... ie.. jA

He is a friggin mountain!!!:yahoo:

texaschief
04-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Nope 4th round would be good, but we need him - trust me, if they are smart.... they need to follow what has worked... ie.. jA

yeah, screw drafting DEs in the first...let's go to the 4th to pick them all....we all know with Peterson's draft history that finding studs late in the draft....especially in the 4th and 5th rounds is common for him.

**sarcasm**

hermhater
04-25-2008, 02:38 AM

I wouldn't say he is a mountain, but he is like me, a hill that can float like a butterfly and sting like a bee!

yeah, screw drafting DEs in the first...let's go to the 4th to pick them all....we all know with Peterson's draft history that finding studs late in the draft....especially in the 4th and 5th rounds is common for him.

**sarcasm**

Smarty pants.

texaschief
04-25-2008, 04:35 AM
If Long isn't there at 5, let's trade the #5 and #140 picks to the Cowboys who want Dmac for the 22nd, 28th and 61st picks.

Next, we trade the 22nd, 61st and 82nd picks to the Bills for the 11th pick.

Next, we trade the 11th, and #105 to Cinci for the 9th pick where we take Albert.

Next, we trade the 17th and 129th and 136th picks to the Bengals for the 11th pick.

With the 9th pick, we take Branden Albert.

With the 11th pick, we take Ryan Clady.

With the 28th pick, we take Cailis Campbell.

With the 34th pick, we take Antoine Cason.

With the 66th pick, we take Early Doucet

With the 73rd pick, we take Chris Ellis

With the 140th pick, we take whoever Tammie wants lol

hermhater
04-25-2008, 04:40 AM
If Long isn't there at 5, let's trade the #5 and #140 picks to the Cowboys who want Dmac for the 22nd, 28th and 61st picks.

Next, we trade the 22nd, 61st and 82nd picks to the Bills for the 11th pick.

Next, we trade the 11th, and #105 to Cinci for the 9th pick where we take Albert.

Next, we trade the 17th and 129th and 136th picks to the Bengals for the 11th pick.

With the 9th pick, we take Branden Albert.

With the 11th pick, we take Ryan Clady.

With the 28th pick, we take Cailis Campbell.

With the 34th pick, we take Antoine Cason.

With the 66th pick, we take Early Doucet

With the 73rd pick, we take Chris Ellis

I'm not gonna call you retarded or anything, but that is retarded to think that you can know who will be available at those picks.

Diet Coke drinker. :toast2:

jakesmith
04-25-2008, 10:27 AM
I've brought up Taylor a few times with mixed results.

Some think he's too old for what we are building here in KC.

I think he's a little old for a first round pick, but he would be an awesome addition to the team.

Plus he can teach all the Chiefs how to dance!!!

tammietailgator
04-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I'm not gonna call you retarded or anything, but that is retarded to think that you can know who will be available at those picks.

:lol: If you don't I will!

With the 140th pick, we take whoever Tammie wants lol[/quote]

Come on.... I deserve better than that:sign0153:

hermhater
04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I have a new signature quote for you tammie!

"tammietailgator: butchering quotes since August of 2007!"

:lol:

texaschief
04-25-2008, 03:21 PM

:lol: If you don't I will!

Come on.... I deserve better than that:sign0153:[/QUOTE]

hermhater
04-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Come on.... I deserve better than that:sign0153:

:lol:[/quote]

I'm not even sure who I'm quoting at this point, since tammie jacked this up so bad...

:biggrin:

texaschief
04-25-2008, 04:35 PM

I'm not even sure who I'm quoting at this point, since tammie jacked this up so bad...

:biggrin:[/QUOTE]

for real

tammietailgator
04-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Good - My job is done then!!!

hermhater
04-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Good - My job is done then!!!

Just giving you a hard time girl!

All in fun!

Chiefster
04-25-2008, 11:09 PM

Just giving you a hard time girl!

All in fun!

Smile when you say that boy! :11: :D

hermhater
04-26-2008, 03:47 AM
Smile when you say that boy! :11: :D

Somhow you make that sound dirty Chiefster...

:biggrin:

chief31
04-26-2008, 04:23 AM

We could probably get Taylor for a third. And we have three of them to play with. :D

tammietailgator
04-27-2008, 07:40 PM
All in all the draft was great.... but I did want to bring up the fact that Kroy Biermann did get drafted in the 5th round by the falcons..... :11: :D

hermhater
04-27-2008, 07:46 PM
All in all the draft was great.... but I did want to bring up the fact that Kroy Biermann did get drafted in the 5th round by the falcons..... :11: :D

Would have been nice...