PDA

View Full Version : AFC West draft grade ESPN

royalswin100games
04-27-2008, 11:26 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/columns/story?columnist=williamson_bill&id=3370625

hermhater
04-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Yep we definitely got this one right!

:yahoo:

texaschief
04-28-2008, 12:44 AM
Glenn Dorsey:

Getting Dorsey essentially moves the talent we had on the defensive line to the interior while picking up a pair of 3rd round picks in the process. Getting Dorsey at 5 is something i never though could happen....but for some reason i seem to underestimate the stupidity of the upper management of the Oakland Raiders. Loaded at RB, they decide to draft a guy who's an off field risk and could possibly not be a RB who can carry the ball more than 20 times a game....The Chiefs got a guy who's a homerun threat just like McFadden in the 3rd round.
:sign0098: Raiders, way to improve that 30th ranked run defense.

Branden Albert

Didn't think he'd be there at 15 to grab but he was. Still not thrilled about getting this guy yet. I still wanted Williams. For a team who could use 2 OTs decided to draft a career guard in the first round. I just don't like him yet. While I'm thrilled they got a first round OLineman and probably the best Olineman left in the draft, I'll just walk behind the "Branden Albert Bandwagon" before jumpin on just yet. I have no doubt that he'll start, i just think guards are a lot easier to find than LTs.

Brandon Flowers

It's great to know that at least one of our CB spots is taken care of for the long term after years of weak FAs signees. I really like physical CBs and this is probably the most physical CB to come out of the draft in years. I really like this guy.

Jamaal Charles

Awesome. I can't believe we got this guy in the 3rd round. There were plenty of times i wanted to say i really liked this guy, but i didn't want to go thru all the b.s. I'd get on this site about being UT biased, plus we still have Kolby Smith. But this guy is going to be a great compliment to LJ. For those who don't know, he's a world class sprinter and never went thru an offseason program due to his track obligations. Once he puts some size on, he's going to push LJ for his starting position. He will be the next great RB for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Brad Cottam

This guy looks like he'll be a great replacement for Jason Dunn. Great size. Seems to be the kind of receiver you could just toss the ball up to and say go get it. A big 6'7 target should be fun to throw to in the red zone and over the middle. 4th best TE in a weak TE class. This should go down as an OLine pick. He'll be in as a blocker a lot. Good pick.

DaJuan Morgan

This is the one pick the whole draft that disappointed me. With Pollard, Paige, and Wesley already on the team, i think this pick should've been on the Oline. I don't like that it took till the 6th round to grab another lineman. That said, he's on the team and this could be a precursor to us trading Wesley to another team for perhaps some Oline help or a draft pick in 09. Who knows.

William Franklin

This guy should be a great compliment to Bowe. 4.37 is fast....REALLY fast. If this guy can catch the ball, i think our WR corp is complete with Bowe, Webb, Franklin and Sippio....oh and Darling.

Brandon Carr

And the "Brandon" parade continues....not that i care considering that's my name too. lol I love CBs. I imagine this guy will compete with Brack for the other CB spot while Surtain will be the nickel back. All i've ever heard about this guy is good stuff. I'm not sure why he fell as far as he did. Small school talent are always wild cards.

Barry Richardson

"Lack of a mean streak"...this seems to be the only knock on this guy. He was expected to be a 3rd or 4th round guy. Maybe it's just me, but i think this guy is going to make a strong push for that RT position.

Kevin Robinson

I hope he's worth the pick as a KR, cuz that's all he's gonna do on this team.

Brian Johnston

My favorite pick of this draft. For everything i hated about the Morgan pick, I love about this pick. He's another "wild card" from a small school. His measurables were incredible! If he gets invited to the combine, this kid is off the board by the 4th round. He fills a need and could push to start in a season or two. Tammie should fall in love with this guy. We couldn't get her guy in the 5th, but Johnston is cut from the same cloth as Jared Allen.

Mike Merritt

This guy is really big and reminds me of when Brian Waters was moved from TE to guard. Don't be shocked if the same thing happens with this guy.

Overall, i think the Chiefs dominated this draft. But, they needed to. I think 11/12 guys are solid picks in theory with the exception of Robinson. Day one was amazing and day two was solid. I think we'll see some really good players come out of this draft. I think this will set this team up for a great draft next year where we should be able to complete the rebuild and complete for a title as soon as 2010.

hermhater
04-28-2008, 01:19 AM
DaJuan Morgan

This is the one pick the whole draft that disappointed me. With Pollard, Paige, and Wesley already on the team, i think this pick should've been on the Oline. I don't like that it took till the 6th round to grab another lineman. That said, he's on the team and this could be a precursor to us trading Wesley to another team for perhaps some Oline help or a draft pick in 09. Who knows.

Nice analysis texas!

:sign0098:

I especially agree with this part above.

DMN
04-28-2008, 02:13 AM
Right after we picked morgan I was shocked..... but after looking into this guy I am excited. He has great play reading instict. I think that pollard may be in trouble. this kid can hit just as well and will be the cover safety that pollard seems to lack. I may be a year or two before he gets the job but i think he comes in on special teams and immediately makes a difference.

chief31
04-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Glenn Dorsey:

Getting Dorsey essentially moves the talent we had on the defensive line to the interior while picking up a pair of 3rd round picks in the process. Getting Dorsey at 5 is something i never though could happen....but for some reason i seem to underestimate the stupidity of the upper management of the Oakland Raiders. Loaded at RB, they decide to draft a guy who's an off field risk and could possibly not be a RB who can carry the ball more than 20 times a game....The Chiefs got a guy who's a homerun threat just like McFadden in the 3rd round.
:sign0098: Raiders, way to improve that 30th ranked run defense.

I like the guy alot. But, I still assume that we like our opponents' QBs, since this guy is now our form of pressure. If he comes up looking like Warren Sapp, then I'll be sold.

Branden Albert

Didn't think he'd be there at 15 to grab but he was. Still not thrilled about getting this guy yet. I still wanted Williams. For a team who could use 2 OTs decided to draft a career guard in the first round. I just don't like him yet. While I'm thrilled they got a first round OLineman and probably the best Olineman left in the draft, I'll just walk behind the "Branden Albert Bandwagon" before jumpin on just yet. I have no doubt that he'll start, i just think guards are a lot easier to find than LTs.

Imagine that, Herm is going to start a G at OT. See, while we appearently to love our opponents' QBs, we hate our own. So who needs OTs to protect him?

Again, I like this guy, but he is an OG that we will likely force to the outside.

Brandon Flowers

It's great to know that at least one of our CB spots is taken care of for the long term after years of weak FAs signees. I really like physical CBs and this is probably the most physical CB to come out of the draft in years. I really like this guy.

Great pick.

Jamaal Charles

Awesome. I can't believe we got this guy in the 3rd round. There were plenty of times i wanted to say i really liked this guy, but i didn't want to go thru all the b.s. I'd get on this site about being UT biased, plus we still have Kolby Smith. But this guy is going to be a great compliment to LJ. For those who don't know, he's a world class sprinter and never went thru an offseason program due to his track obligations. Once he puts some size on, he's going to push LJ for his starting position. He will be the next great RB for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Third string RB spot now filled. Rather it is Kolby Smith, this guy, or Larry Johnson, I'm glad that we were able to fill that gaping hole.

Brad Cottam

This guy looks like he'll be a great replacement for Jason Dunn. Great size. Seems to be the kind of receiver you could just toss the ball up to and say go get it. A big 6'7 target should be fun to throw to in the red zone and over the middle. 4th best TE in a weak TE class. This should go down as an OLine pick. He'll be in as a blocker a lot. Good pick.

This guy is not a blocker. So, if this goes down as an o-line pick, then it is as bad an o-line pick as I have ever seen in the third round. He is tall and fast and catches well. Sure am glad that we filled the gaping hole at backup TE too.

DaJuan Morgan

Agreed. How about our OT spot? Or are we going to re-sign Turley and Terry again?

William Franklin

This guy should be a great compliment to Bowe. 4.37 is fast....REALLY fast. If this guy can catch the ball, i think our WR corp is complete with Bowe, Webb, Franklin and Sippio....oh and Darling.

I thought that this position could have been addressed in the third, as well as the OT spot.

Brandon Carr

And the "Brandon" parade continues....not that i care considering that's my name too. lol I love CBs. I imagine this guy will compete with Brack for the other CB spot while Surtain will be the nickel back. All i've ever heard about this guy is good stuff. I'm not sure why he fell as far as he did. Small school talent are always wild cards.

Nice to fill one of starting jobs anyway. I am not against this pick either, but that OT job is still open.

Barry Richardson

"Lack of a mean streak"...this seems to be the only knock on this guy. He was expected to be a 3rd or 4th round guy. Maybe it's just me, but i think this guy is going to make a strong push for that RT position.

6th round OTs are projects that may one day become OGs, or leave the league without having played. We definitely needed on of those. I don't anything about this guy, so I don't hate the pick. But I hate that with the entire world knowing that we had to get an OT from this draft, that a 6th rounder and an OG are our answers to that.

Kevin Robinson

I hope he's worth the pick as a KR, cuz that's all he's gonna do on this team.

Brian Johnston

My favorite pick of this draft. For everything i hated about the Morgan pick, I love about this pick. He's another "wild card" from a small school. His measurables were incredible! If he gets invited to the combine, this kid is off the board by the 4th round. He fills a need and could push to start in a season or two. Tammie should fall in love with this guy. We couldn't get her guy in the 5th, but Johnston is cut from the same cloth as Jared Allen.

This is a good time to start trying guys that are a gamble. When there is less on the line.

Mike Merritt

This guy is really big and reminds me of when Brian Waters was moved from TE to guard. Don't be shocked if the same thing happens with this guy.

Overall, i think the Chiefs dominated this draft. But, they needed to. I think 11/12 guys are solid picks in theory with the exception of Robinson. Day one was amazing and day two was solid. I think we'll see some really good players come out of this draft. I think this will set this team up for a great draft next year where we should be able to complete the rebuild and complete for a title as soon as 2010.

Overall, I would grade this draft as an A+...for some other team, with other needs that what we have. Now, we will be starting four DTs on our offensive line, and praying that we get a sack once or twice a month.

And our offensive line improved... slightly... maybe... maybe not. I imagine that QB will be our biggest hole to fill next draft, as we are unlikely to have one still alive by the end of this season.

While everyone else is welcome to accept the accolades of the "experts", All I can see is a defense that will never disturb a QB, and an offense that didn't change from leading the NFL in sacks.

I take the Branden Albert pick as "Here! Now shut the He77 up!" from Herm. And what he gave me is an OG that will have to play OT.

Has Herm ever had a QB stay healthy for a full season? Does he ever intend to?

royalswin100games
04-28-2008, 02:24 AM
Overall, I would grade this draft as an A+...for some other team, with other needs that what we have. Now, we will be starting four DTs on our offensive line, and praying that we get a sack once or twice a month.

The "analysts" are saying because Dorsey is "short", along with him having a huge burst, he will be able to beat OLs underneath and get to the QB, we'll see.

And our offensive line improved... slightly... maybe... maybe not. I imagine that QB will be our biggest hole to fill next draft, as we are unlikely to have one still alive by the end of this season.

While everyone else is welcome to accept the accolades of the "experts", All I can see is a defense that will never disturb a QB, and an offense that didn't change from leading the NFL in sacks.

Maybe so, at least we got a hard hitting CB to take out receivers.

I take the Branden Albert pick as "Here! Now shut the He77 up!" from Herm. And what he gave me is an OG that will have to play OT.

Good point. Funny. Disturbing and funny.

:bananen_smilies046:

hermhater
04-28-2008, 02:49 AM

It does not seem so.

I am stoked with the players we got in the draft.

In regards to your comments about filling spots that we already have covered, I think Herm is still cleaning house.

He and Carl are going to trade away the rest of the talent we have and attempt to put their players on the team.

I hope we are able to fill the rest of our holes with the other 21 rookie FA's.

Cheer up a little bit though chief31, it sounds like we got some quality talent!

chief31
04-28-2008, 03:20 AM
It does not seem so.

I am stoked with the players we got in the draft.

In regards to your comments about filling spots that we already have covered, I think Herm is still cleaning house.

He and Carl are going to trade away the rest of the talent we have and attempt to put their players on the team.

I hope we are able to fill the rest of our holes with the other 21 rookie FA's.

Cheer up a little bit though chief31, it sounds like we got some quality talent!

It is difficult to be happy with this draft, when everyone and their mother knew that we had to get an OT, this was one of the best drafts I have ever seen for getting a starting OT, we led the NFL in sacks allowed, we had the worst running game in the NFL, both of our starting QBs were hurt last season, and our current head coach is a QBs worst nightmare.

Eveything pointed to us getting an OT out of this draft. Every planet, star, moon and comet was in the correct alignment for it to happen, and still Herm managed to put the issue on the back burner.

royalswin100games
04-28-2008, 03:24 AM
It is difficult to be happy with this draft, when everyone and their mother knew that we had to get an OT, this was one of the best drafts I have ever seen for getting a starting OT, we led the NFL in sacks allowed, we had the worst running game in the NFL, both of our starting QBs were hurt last season, and our current head coach is a QBs worst nightmare.

Eveything pointed to us getting an OT out of this draft. Every planet, star, moon and comet was in the correct alignment for it to happen, and still Herm managed to put the issue on the back burner.

I will have to admit I was kind of bummed when the Bears took Chris Williams at #14 but hopefully Albert works out. From the highlights I've seen, he seems pretty quick for his size.

hermhater
04-28-2008, 03:28 AM

Don't get me wrong guy, I'm not jumping on the Herm bandwagon.

I still think we should have gotten at least 2 more O linemen in the draft.

Crap this is too friggin' difficult to type.

I either have something stuck under my back arrow key on my keyboard, or the load I am putting on my computer right now is too great, because I am skipping back during typing and this has taken almost 7 minutes to type.

chief31
04-28-2008, 03:30 AM
I will have to admit I was kind of bummed when the Bears took Chris Williams at #14 but hopefully Albert works out. From the highlights I've seen, he seems pretty quick for his size.

Miracles do happen. But I can't stand that we keep counting on those miracles, when they haven't been happening.

We needed a starting OT, and there were several choices available to start the third round. We took three backups, instead of bothering to worry about those starting jobs.

I think we got "duped" into believing that it was the fourth round. Since the second day usually starts with the fourth round, and backup searches, we just started that trend a round early, and gave up on the third round.

texaschief
04-28-2008, 03:36 AM
It's kind of hard to be pissed about this pick when he's probably going to end up as one of the top 2 or 3 linemen taken from this draft.

I also don't think it's all the doom and gloom 31 makes it out to be.

What's the worst we're looking at right now? We don't have a RT? Maybe?

In the worst case scenario,:

McIntosh stays at LT
Waters at LG
Niswanger at C
Albert at RG

and then we have to find a RT from a list of:
Anthony Alabi
Adrian Jones
Travis Leffew
Joe Lobdell
Tre Stallings
Will Svitek
Herb Taylor
Barry Richardson

I find it hard to believe we won't be better than last year with that line.

royalswin100games
04-28-2008, 03:47 AM
It's kind of hard to be pissed about this pick when he's probably going to end up as one of the top 2 or 3 linemen taken from this draft.

I also don't think it's all the doom and gloom 31 makes it out to be.

What's the worst we're looking at right now? We don't have a RT? Maybe?

In the worst case scenario,:

McIntosh stays at LT
Waters at LG
Niswanger at C
Albert at RG

and then we have to find a RT from a list of:
Anthony Alabi
Adrian Jones
Travis Leffew
Joe Lobdell
Tre Stallings
Will Svitek
Herb Taylor
Barry Richardson

I find it hard to believe we won't be better than last year with that line.

May be able to find some more OL before training camp as well to compete for positions.

AkChief49
04-28-2008, 04:01 AM
I think we are a bit better anyway. It might take a year or two more to get where we want to be.....where we have not been since.....38 years ago!

Coach
04-28-2008, 08:06 AM

It's too bad that we didn't have 30 1st round draft picks this year. Then maybe you would have been happy with this draft.

tornadospotter
04-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Nice analysis texas!

I especially agree with this part above.
I agree!

tammietailgator
04-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Brian Johnston

I truly hope that my guy is a bust for the falcons..... but I am happy with this pick too!! I wont call it love yet though!!:D

hermhater
04-28-2008, 02:41 PM
It's too bad that we didn't have 30 1st round draft picks this year.

That would have kicked ***!

:yahoo:

I wonder what the most picks a team has ever had in the first round?

DrunkHillbilly
04-28-2008, 04:21 PM

Don't forget to lump your boy Carl in with Herm. He ultimatley makes the final decision!!!!

The fact is that this is the best draft we have had in years. I'm not talking one player but overall! Albert will end up being one of the top lineman in this entire draft. Moving him to a different position isn't anything from the norm. It happens all the time! While I agree that we needed an outside tackle, at the same time, we needed someone to help create holes for Johnson and Charles to run through!!! This is a big key in my opinion. When you have one of the best backs in the league and that back is a north and south runner, no holes equals a 2007 result!! If we can create a few more holes maybe we get closer to a 2006 result which was a dominating year for Larry Johnson!!!!!!!

bigpoppachief
04-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Well I am happy with this draft but i am still wondering why we didnt take a chance and grab Colt Brennan or andre woodsen. I mean don't get me wrong I like Brodie Croyle and I am hoping he pans out like I think he could BUT what if he don't we could of had another young guy who can throw the ball like brennan. it's over and he's a redskin so i must move on and i guess thigpen showed some kind of skill as well. This draft will change our franchise quote me on that next year will be a dismal year of course but i have a feeling Dorsey will destroy the middle olines of many teams and our flowers is going to scare the hell out of WR's when he crushes them with a vicious tackle. im happy with the draft and looking forward to a great future in KC

texaschief
04-28-2008, 04:59 PM
I think Thigpen is the closest thing to a "future of the franchise" that we have in-house right now. I think it's important to establish our O-line before we start drafting QBs with high picks. If we're not going to spend a first or second on a QB, there's no point in drafting anyone else. Croyle is a 3rd rounder and hasn't had a real shot yet.

Once this line jells, and if Croyle or Thigpen don't work out, then let's look at QBs in the draft.

rbedgood
04-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Dorsey is going to be a huge pickup for you guys...not only is he likely to be the most dominant defensive player out of this draft, he also fills a key need for the Chiefs. Although the loss of JA will smart, the fact is that the teams in your division are much more dangerous for their running games than their passers. With that being the case a dominant DT that can blow up the middle of the O-line and push them back a couple yards will go much farther than a dominant pass rusher.

rbedgood
04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
I think Thigpen is the closest thing to a "future of the franchise" that we have in-house right now. I think it's important to establish our O-line before we start drafting QBs with high picks. If we're not going to spend a first or second on a QB, there's no point in drafting anyone else. Croyle is a 3rd rounder and hasn't had a real shot yet.

Once this line jells, and if Croyle or Thigpen don't work out, then let's look at QBs in the draft.

I agree completely!!!

chief31
04-29-2008, 02:13 AM
It's too bad that we didn't have 30 1st round draft picks this year. Then maybe you would have been happy with this draft.

One would have worked, had it been used for an OT. Hell, all they had to do to win me with this draft was to take one of the OTs that we looked past with three straight third round picks, for some backups. Just one pick.

Don't forget to lump your boy Carl in with Herm. He ultimatley makes the final decision!!!!

The fact is that this is the best draft we have had in years. I'm not talking one player but overall! Albert will end up being one of the top lineman in this entire draft. Moving him to a different position isn't anything from the norm. It happens all the time! While I agree that we needed an outside tackle, at the same time, we needed someone to help create holes for Johnson and Charles to run through!!! This is a big key in my opinion. When you have one of the best backs in the league and that back is a north and south runner, no holes equals a 2007 result!! If we can create a few more holes maybe we get closer to a 2006 result which was a dominating year for Larry Johnson!!!!!!!

If Albert can become a great OT then I will wind-up liking this. But as of now, he is an OG.

The fact that we were able to ignore the biggest need on this team, in a draft that was bountiful at that position, while we had a high number of picks, is what baffles me.

rbedgood
04-29-2008, 02:15 AM
One would have worked, had it been used for an OT. Hell, all they had to do to win me with this draft was to take one of the OTs that we looked past with three straight third round picks, for some backups. Just one pick.

If Albert can become a great OT then I will wind-up liking this. But as of now, he is an OG.

The fact that we were able to ignore the biggest need on this team, in a draft that was bountiful at that position, while we had a high number of picks, is what baffles me.

Hard to argue this point, only time will tell. If they are right and Albert converts to tackle they look brilliant...if not then you are correct that they failed to fill the primary need in a draft stocked full of talent at the Tackle position.

chief31
04-29-2008, 02:23 AM
Hard to argue this point, only time will tell. If they are right and Albert converts to tackle they look brilliant...if not then you are correct that they failed to fill the primary need in a draft stocked full of talent at the Tackle position.

I have little doubt that they will force him to OT. But if he is less effective at OT than OG, it is a major waste. Just because someone is a starter in the NFL doesn't mean that they are any good. (Chris Terry) He has to be good at it, for it to work out.

As the season approaches, I will eventually get a better attitude about the whole thing, as my hopes will begin to overshadow my disdane. But for now, I am expecting a 2-14 season.

Just like lsat season, there will be some major "if"s. If Dorsey can generate some pressure from the inside... If Albert can become a good OT instead of OG...

But for now, I can plainly see that Dorsey is nowhere near the prospect that Sapp was, and that OTs convert to OGs in the NFL because it is an easier position to play. Rarely does a college OG successfully convert to a great NFL OT.

Maybe you could find me an example of that happening. :D It would make me feel a little bit better.

hermhater
04-29-2008, 02:29 AM

I think Herm is planning on taking some unsigned rookies to fill these positions.

I like the guys we got instead of the OT picks we should have taken, but either Herm doesn't want to spend picks on the O line in the draft or he is still trying to convert players to other positions and now he has chosen to make TE's OG's instead.

We are gonna pick up O linemen after the draft.

We might even be able to fill the O line up with the few that we have already signed.

rbedgood
04-29-2008, 02:45 AM
I have little doubt that they will force him to OT. But if he is less effective at OT than OG, it is a major waste. Just because someone is a starter in the NFL doesn't mean that they are any good. (Chris Terry) He has to be good at it, for it to work out.

As the season approaches, I will eventually get a better attitude about the whole thing, as my hopes will begin to overshadow my disdane. But for now, I am expecting a 2-14 season.

Just like lsat season, there will be some major "if"s. If Dorsey can generate some pressure from the inside... If Albert can become a good OT instead of OG...

But for now, I can plainly see that Dorsey is nowhere near the prospect that Sapp was, and that OTs convert to OGs in the NFL because it is an easier position to play. Rarely does a college OG successfully convert to a great NFL OT.

Maybe you could find me an example of that happening. :D It would make me feel a little bit better.

There was this guy named Jackie Slater that was moved in to Guard his senior year in college...

He became a HOF tackle in the NFL.

Info found at
http://www.jackieslaterhof.com/bio.htm

chief31
04-29-2008, 03:55 AM
There was this guy named Jackie Slater that was moved in to Guard his senior year in college...

He became a HOF tackle in the NFL.

Info found at
http://www.jackieslaterhof.com/bio.htm

That's almost comforting. But he made the switch at college, and then there's Leonard Davis. :D

rbedgood
04-29-2008, 04:56 AM

That's almost comforting. But he made the switch at college, and then there's Leonard Davis. :D

No Slater was moved from Tackle into Guard during college...then back to tackle in the NFL.

chief31
04-29-2008, 06:17 AM
No Slater was moved from Tackle into Guard during college...then back to tackle in the NFL.

Yaeh, but he was an OT to begin with.

Either way, here is what I make of this draft.

Since it includes picks that were gained by trading J.A, I will compare what we looked like to start the offseason, to what we look like now.

For the sake of this argument, I will grant the rest of you the miracle that Dorsey will be an equal value to Jared, and I will just call that a push. (You're quite welcome.)

Therfore, we needed an OT, OG, CB, and WR all as starters. (Completely ignoring the gaping hole that we now have at DE.)

We got an OT/OG (More likely an OG who is going to be playing the wrong position), the CB we needed (Good job) and everthing else was just a gamble, or a backup.

So basically, we started drafting backups and long-shots (RB, TE, and S) before addressing our single biggest need, (OT) and one of the other starting jobs that many feel was open. (WR)

Now I want to bring up the fact that we no longer have anyone capable of generating a reasonably consistent pass-rush. And we didn't do anything to address that need either.

All the experts were just raving about what a great draft the Chiefs had. But it is pretty easy to make it look good with the 5th, 17th, and 36th overall picks.

And I don't think we drafted for this team. I think we drafted for a team that had some starting offensive linemen on their roster. This team doesn't.

Before the J.A. deal, every single one of us knew that we had to get an offensive tackle from this OT-rich draft class. Not a tough job at all. Especially since we gave away a top-notch defender to do it. And yet now, as if by the grace of God, we are all supposed to be happy that we didn't get that?

How about the fact that Herm just drafted two first-day DTs last season? Weren't they supposed to be "all that"? Now what? Even our one "big name" draftee is just replacing existing good players. Not filling any of the holes on the team, and if you consider the DE situation, it actually opened a new hole in our team.

O.K., one month ago... Holes at OT, OG, CB, WR. Now, holes at OT, WR, and DE.