PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Free Agents

texaschief
04-28-2008, 03:52 PM
Here's where we're going to post the undrafted free agents as we hear of them.

Kalvin McRae, RB Ohio (30th ranked RB)

Strengths:
Natural runner with good vision and instincts...Strong and runs hard...Tough and durable...A pretty good receiver out of the backfield...Has decent awareness as a blocker..Excellent production...Hard worker..Team leader...Has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Below average size and bulk...Does not have great speed and lacks a burst...Poor ball security...Doesn't have much wiggle and won't make people miss...Has lots of mileage on his tires...Did not always play against top competition...Limited upside.

Notes:
Was a four-year starter...The Bobcats all-time leading rusher...A jack-of-all-trades who does everything well but nothing great..A terrific mid-level college player who simply doesn't have the physical tools to project as anything more than a backup.

Connor Barth K North Carolina (8th ranked K)

Strengths:
Decent size...Has plenty of leg...Clutch and handles pressure really well...Can also kickoff....Has developed good accuracy and consistency...Productive...Experienced.

Weaknesses:
Has trouble with the longer attempts..Some of his kicks come out a little low...Had had too many of his attempts blocked..Struggled with accuracy early in his career.

Notes:
Younger brother Casey is also a kicker and walked-on with the Tar Heels...Was a first-team All-American in high school...Was a four-year starter..Holds the Tar Heel record for most field goals made....Deserves a camp invite....Underrated prospect.

Derek Lokey DL Texas

6'1 293- I watched this guy a lot at Texas. While Okam would've been a better DT at Texas, I really liked Lokey. He showed up a lot and you heard his name making tackles as the games progressed. He has a non stop motor and is pretty athletic for a DT. I've heard that he could translate to a FB in the NFL. That would be interesting to see a 300lb. FB. lol

Ricky Santos QB New Hampshire

Strengths:
Extremely productive...Great leadership abilities..Intense and competitive and is a true gamer...Good touch and timing...Pretty accurate...Quick delivery...Has decent mobility and can make plays with his feet...Is very tough...Has a lot of experience.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against top competition...Lacks the ideal size that you look for...Does not have a very strong arm...Can be reckless at times...Makes iffy decisions when under duress...Worked from the shotgun and has to adjust to a pro style offense.

Notes:
A four-year starter...In 2006 he won the Walter Payton Award as the top player in I-AA football...His cousin, Bobby Santos, races in the NASCAR Busch Series...Prolific college player who was dominant at his level but lacks the physical tools you look for in a NFL signal caller...Stats and intangibles could get him in somebody's camp.

hermhater
04-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Didn't we sign Connor Barth yesterday?

texaschief
04-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Steve Oktavien LB Nebraska

Strengths:
Superb athleticism...Very good timed speed...Explosive with a burst...Good tackler and shows some power...Has sideline-to-sideline range...Good pass rusher/blitzer and makes a lot if impact plays behind the line...Has fluid hips and does a nice job in coverage...Real intense with a fantastic motor...Versatile..Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:
Health and durability are major concerns....Does not have great size or bulk...Has some trouble taking on and shedding blockers...A little inconsistent...Questionable instincts and awareness...Lacks top ball skills..Does not have a ton of experience.

Notes:
His sister, Dayana, was a three-time track All-American in the discus and hammer throw at South Florida and competed in the '04 U.S. Olympic Trials...Was originally slated to attend the U of Illinois out of high school but wound up at William Rainey Harper (Ill.) College, where he went on to become one of the top JUCO recruits in the country as well as a track standout in the 400-meter relay and discus...Dealt with an assortment injuries in 2004, 2005 and 2006 but was finally able to show just how good he can be when healthy as a senior...Could be a pleasant surprise for someone and a steal if he can just manage to steer clear of the trainer's room.

Johnny Dingle OT West Virginia

Maurice Purify WR Nebraska

Strengths:
Excellent size and great bulk with a solid frame...Has long arms and big hands...Is strong and physical...Very aggressive with great ball skills and body control...Can make the spectacular catch...Decent athleticism...Knows how to use his size to his advantage...A fantastic leaper...Can be a terror in the redzone...Pretty productive.

Weaknesses:
Not very explosive and lacks a burst...Will struggle to separate..Is not real elusive and won't do much after the catch...Does not have reliable hands...Is not a great route runner...Not nearly as good of a blocker as he should be...Only two years of DI experience...He won't stretch the field vertically...Has some character concerns.

Notes:
Highly-touted JUCO transfer from San Francisco City College..His nephew is former Colorado tailback Bobby Purify...Was arrested in '06 on two counts of assault and one count of resisting arrest and then just five weeks later he was arrested again for suspicion of drunken driving...Ironically he was a criminal justice major...He has some physical tools to work with but will need to keep his nose clean off the field.

hermhater
04-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Johnny Dingle.

:biggrin:

That's got to be a joke right?

bigpoppachief
04-28-2008, 06:38 PM
Lokey could be a beast and octavien I have always liked and hated texas playing nebraska because of him

Catfan
04-28-2008, 07:03 PM
As a longtime KC fan living in New Hampshire, I find it interesting that the pros are questioning the competition Santos faced in college, especially since Joe Flacco (18th overall pick) faced the same compeition. Santos was undefeated against IA competition, including victories over Rutgers, Northwestern and Marshall. The local papers here do a good job covering UNH football, but the best place to find info on Santos is probably the New Hampshire Football Report: www.nhfootballreport.com (http://www.nhfootballreport.com). Go Chiefs!

hermhater
04-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Lokey could be a beast and octavien I have always liked and hated texas playing nebraska because of him

I don't watch much college ball, so I will take your word for it.

Unless MU is on the teams just don't really interest me that much.

As a longtime KC fan living in New Hampshire, I find it interesting that the pros are questioning the competition Santos faced in college, especially since Joe Flacco (18th overall pick) faced the same compeition. Santos was undefeated against IA competition, including victories over Rutgers, Northwestern and Marshall. The local papers here do a good job covering UNH football, but the best place to find info on Santos is probably the New Hampshire Football Report: www.nhfootballreport.com (http://www.nhfootballreport.com). Go Chiefs!

Thanks for the info, maybe we will pick this guy up and bring him to camp!

:bananen_smilies046:

texaschief
04-29-2008, 12:33 AM
Jonal Saint-Dic LB Michigan St.

Chris McDuffie OG Clemson

Strengths:
Has excellent size and bulk...Very strong and powerful...Good drive blocker...Stout at the point of attack...Decent mobility and range...Physical and aggressive with a great motor...Is very tough....Plays with a nasty demeanor...Still has some upside.

Weaknesses:
Not a great athlete...Is not a natural knee bender...Poor balance...Needs to keep his weight in check...Poor technique and footwork..Questionable awareness...Ran into off-the-field trouble...He does not have much starting experience...Durability?

Notes:
Prepped at Hargrave Military Academy....Redshirted in 2003 and played defensive tackle his first couple of years before moving to the offensive line in 2005....Was just a one-year starter...Charged with a drug offense in '04...Has an elbow injury that needs to be checked out....Might be a bit of a big school sleeper because he basically only had one full college season to really showcase himself as a starter.

Sean Bailey WR Georgia

Mike Cox FB Georgia Tech

Strengths:
Excellent size and bulk...Very strong and physical...Outstanding lead blocker...Can hold his ground in pass pro...Aggressive with a killer instinct...Decent receiver out of the backfield...Smart with nice awareness...Has a non-stop motor..Hard worker.

Weaknesses:
Is not a smooth athlete..Lacks ideal timed speed and doesn't have a burst..Offers very little as a runner and didn't get many chances to carry the ball...Must learn to keep his feet moving on contact...Was not productive..Has some durability issues.

Notes:
Was a three-year starter in the ACC...Underwent shoulder surgery before the '07 season...Could make a roster with the right team but more often than not the NFL is looking for versatility from their fullbacks these days....One-dimensional blocker.

Luke Swan WR Wisconsin

Strengths:
Adequate height and bulk...Excellent route runner...Fantastic leaping ability....Nice body control and ball skills...Very smart with good awareness..Decent athlete with reliable hands...Gives nice effort as a blocker..Hard worker with a non-stop motor.

Weaknesses:
Does not have the timed speed you look for...Not explosive and lacks a burst...Is not real strong or physical and gets pushed around...Has some health / durability concerns..Offers very little after the catch..Real limited experience and production.

Notes:
A former walk-on...Only about a season and a half of starting experience...Missed over half of his senior season with a torn hamstring that required surgery...Better athleticism than he is given credit for and might still have some upside...Could be brought in as a late round developmental type...Profiles as a possession receiver.

Larue Rumph LB NCST

Canada
04-29-2008, 12:34 AM
I hope we sign Cox and Dingle!! Those would be some great jerseys to get!! :lol:

texaschief
04-29-2008, 12:42 AM
I hope we sign Cox and Dingle!! Those would be some great jerseys to get!! :lol:

don't forget Saint-Dic

rbedgood
04-29-2008, 02:18 AM
don't forget Saint-Dic

Too bad HH isn't a Browns fan...they have the perfect jersey for him...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7030

hermhater
04-29-2008, 02:45 AM
Too bad HH isn't a Browns fan...they have the perfect jersey for him...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7030

I don't get it.

rbedgood
04-29-2008, 02:52 AM
I don't get it.

The dudes last name is SHORT...dumba$$

hermhater
04-29-2008, 02:57 AM
I'm a moran.

Since the Raiders are right across the bay, I guess I will...

...remain a Raiders fan.

I understand guy, it's not a problem.

Come on out to Arrowhead and see what's it's like to see a real football game!

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Arrowhead-Stadium---KC-Chiefs---Daytime-Photograph-C12188406.jpeg

Canada
04-29-2008, 06:59 AM
The dudes last name is SHORT...dumba$$

:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

I gotta give it to the wee man on this one!! :bananen_smilies046:

hermhater
04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I gotta give it to the wee man on this one!! :bananen_smilies046:

rbedgood
04-29-2008, 01:21 PM

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/

Wow, that would be really funny if I lived anywhere near San Francisco or Oakland. However since I live in Phoenix I guess that doesn't work so well.

That's a low blow, get a ladder next time...

hermhater
04-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow, that would be really funny if I lived anywhere near San Francisco or Oakland. However since I live in Phoenix I guess that doesn't work so well.

That's a low blow, get a ladder next time...

Yeah, but we all know that you...

YouTube - I Left My Heart...

jakethesnake
04-29-2008, 09:58 PM
whats the deal with our kicker situation? do we know where justin medlock went or is with? since we signed connor barth, i was just wondering what the deal was.

hermhater
04-29-2008, 10:03 PM
whats the deal with our kicker situation? do we know where justin medlock went or is with? since we signed connor barth, i was just wondering what the deal was.

Last I heard he was still with St. Louis and was available for a trade.

I highly doubt he will be our kicker this year.

Coach
04-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Thread of the month nominee thanks to Rbed and HH.

hermhater
04-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Thread of the month nominee thanks to Rbed and HH.

:lol:

texaschief
04-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Maurice Leggett CB Valdosta St.
6'0, 180

Played 45 games in college and in 2 national championship games.

Jabari Arthur WR Akron
6'3, 228 4.65

Strengths:
Has great size and excellent bulk...Real strong...Tough and isn't afraid to work the middle...Powerful runner after the catch....An above average blocker...Decent ball skills and body control...Nice concentration...A hard worker with great intangibles.

Weaknesses:
Does not have very good speed or quickness....Inconsistent hands and is a body catcher...Isn't a great route runner...Plays with poor pad level...Does not always play as physical as he should...Is not very elusive...Has some durability concerns.

Notes:
First name is pronounced "Ja-BARRY"....Native of Canada who hails from Montreal, Quebec...Played quarterback early in his college career...The Calgary Stampeders selected him with the 6th overall pick in the 2007 CFL Draft...Led the Hula Bowl in receiving with 5 catches for 88 yards...Dealt with shoulder and foot injuries while with the Zips...He will most likely profile as a possession receiver at the next level.

SirDarean Adams LB Michigan St.

6'0 230

rbedgood
05-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Maurice Leggett CB Valdosta St.
6'0, 180

Played 45 games in college and in 2 national championship games.

Jabari Arthur WR Akron
6'3, 228 4.65

Strengths:
Has great size and excellent bulk...Real strong...Tough and isn't afraid to work the middle...Powerful runner after the catch....An above average blocker...Decent ball skills and body control...Nice concentration...A hard worker with great intangibles.

Weaknesses:
Does not have very good speed or quickness....Inconsistent hands and is a body catcher...Isn't a great route runner...Plays with poor pad level...Does not always play as physical as he should...Is not very elusive...Has some durability concerns.

Notes:
First name is pronounced "Ja-BARRY"....Native of Canada who hails from Montreal, Quebec...Played quarterback early in his college career...The Calgary Stampeders selected him with the 6th overall pick in the 2007 CFL Draft...Led the Hula Bowl in receiving with 5 catches for 88 yards...Dealt with shoulder and foot injuries while with the Zips...He will most likely profile as a possession receiver at the next level.

SirDarean Adams LB Michigan St.

6'0 230

TXChiefs rocks...the whole thread is being hijacked, chaos is going on...and the mutha keeps on subject and doesn't even seem to notice anything else.

Rep for focus brother!

texaschief
05-12-2008, 04:45 PM
The Chiefs announced on Monday that they have agreed to two-year contracts with FB Steven Jackson, LB E.J. Kuale, WR Kevin McMahan and T Ken Shackleford.

Jackson (6-2, 246) originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with Minnesota in 2006. He attended training camp with the Vikings, but was released prior to the start of the regular season. Jackson joined Carolina’s practice squad after his release and was promoted to the Panthers active roster for the final two contests of the 2006 campaign. He attended training camp with Carolina in 2007, but was released prior to the start of the regular season.

The Columbia, South Carolina native appeared in 36 games (six starts) during a three-year career at Clemson. Jackson began his collegiate career at East Tennessee State and prepped at Spring Valley High School in Columbia, South Carolina.

Kuale (6-1, 229) originally entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with New Orleans in 2006. He traveled to training camp with the Saints in 2006, but was released prior to the start of the regular season. He joined that Saints practice squad after his release and remained on the developmental squad for the entire 2006 campaign. The LSU product saw duty in 18 games (three starts) after transferring from Dodge City Community College. He concluded his career with 36 tackles (15 solo), six tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks (-27.0 yards). He prepped at Mainland High School in Daytona Beach, Florida.

McMahan (6-2, 192) spent a portion of the 2007 campaign on Kansas City’s practice squad. He originally entered the NFL as Oakland’s seventh-round pick (255th overall) in the 2006 NFL Draft. He attended training camp with the N.Y. Giants in 2007, but was released prior to the start of the regular season. He also spent time on that club’s practice squad.

The University of Maine product saw action in 44 games for the Black Bears, catching 130 passes for 1,995 yards (15.3 avg.) and 25 TDs. He earned All-Atlantic 10 Conference honors as a senior in 2005 after setting single-season school records for receptions (59), receiving yards (893) and TDs (13). He prepped at Aquinas Institute in Rochester, New York.

Shackleford (6-5, 365) originally entered the NFL as St. Louis’ sixth-round pick (190th overall) in the 2007 NFL Draft. He attended training camp with the Rams a year ago, but was released prior to the start of the regular season. The University of Georgia product appeared in 46 games (14 starts) for the Bulldogs, allowing just one QB sack. He was a first-team all-state selection at Villa Rica High School in Villa Rica, Georgia.

Chiefster
05-12-2008, 08:36 PM
Nice research!

windwalker
05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
And waived Santos... guess his agent wouldn't accept the offer...