PDA

View Full Version : "Turk" Mcbride

chief31
04-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Appearently, I have been looking at this second round draft selection the wrong way. It's not that he is too slow to play defensive end, but that he is slow enough to play defensive tackle. It's not that he is too small to play defensive tackle, but that he small enough to play defensive end. That must be why he is a "tweener".

Chiefster
04-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Appearently, I have been looking at this second round draft selection the wrong way. It's not that he is too slow to play defensive end, but that he is slow enough to play defensive tackle. It's not that he is too small to play defensive tackle, but that he small enough to play defensive end. That must be why he is a "tweener".

I see. LOL!

Chiefsfan27
04-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Nice! it makes sense to me.

kenny1937
04-30-2007, 04:15 PM
That's Chief's management for ya, Hey, we had Joe Montana, and they couldn't put together a O line to let him do his magic, but we sold tickets, did we ever sell tickets!!

:character0011: Just doing my job, Kid, just doing my job!!

Chiefster
04-30-2007, 07:08 PM
That's Chief's management for ya, Hey, we had Joe Montana, and they couldn't put together a O line to let him do his magic, but we sold tickets, did we ever sell tickets!!

:character0011: Just doing my job, Kid, just doing my job!!

Well Montana didn't hurt ticket sales any.

chief31
04-30-2007, 07:54 PM
I'll be honest here, part of the negativity I feel about this pick, is probably based on the fact that I think this is an attempt to replace Jared Allen.

Nobody on this defense has made more big plays over the past two years, nor last season alone, than Jared has. NOBODY.

Yes, he has some personal issues. But, wouldn't it be nice to see our beloved team, stand behind a young guy, and help him with it, rather than throw him out the door?

Jared is a young guy, who appears to love his life. He was alot of fun and laughs, last season, at training camp. I think he needs some help with finding some direction, but I know he enjoys his life and carreer.

Has anyone considered, that an organization that lines it's entire workplace with alcohol advertisements and sells mass quantities of said product, to it's own costomers, only to send them out the door, drunk, could take some responsibility for the kind of environment that they help create?

To abandon Jared, is hipocritical. Sell the beer, get your costomers drunk, then send them out the door, to make their own, drunken decisions, all the while, condemning your own employee, for a similarly irresponsible act? I would like to see this team step up and do the right thing.

Chiefster
04-30-2007, 08:01 PM
I'll be honest here, part of the negativity I feel about this pick, is probably based on the fact that I think this is an attempt to replace Jared Allen.

Nobody on this defense has made more big plays over the past two years, nor last season alone, than Jared has. NOBODY.

Yes, he has some personal issues. But, wouldn't it be nice to see our beloved team, stand behind a young guy, and help him with it, rather than throw him out the door?

Has anyone considered, that an organization that lines it's entire workplace with alcohol advertisements and sells mass quantities of said product, to it's own costomers, only to send them out the door, drunk, could take some responsibility for the kind of environment that they help create?

To abandon Jared, is hipocritical. Sell the beer, get your costomers drunk, then send them out the door, to make their own, drunken decisions, all the while, condemning your own employee, for a similarly irresponsible act? I would like to see this team step up and do the right thing.

I have been as critical of Allen as anyone, and stand behind my criticism, but agree that the organization could offer him some assistance here; he has been a great defensive contributor. The problem I would foresee here is that Jared must be responsive to said assistance; you can lead a horse to water...

chief31
04-30-2007, 08:07 PM
I have been as critical of Allen as anyone, and stand behind my criticism, but agree that the organization could offer him some assistance here; he has been a great defensive contributor. The problem I would foresee here is that Jared must be responsive to said assistance; you can lead a horse to water...

If you've met Jared, you know that he isn't a bad guy. He is all smiles, he is good with the kids and he is an all-around good guy. Hopefully, he will have learned, on his own, what is at stake, when he makes poor decisions. Because I don't see this organization taking responsibility for their own conduct, so it would be nice to see one individual show them how it is done.

Chiefster
04-30-2007, 08:16 PM
If you've met Jared, you know that he isn't a bad guy. He is all smiles, he is good with the kids and he is an all-around good guy. Hopefully, he will have learned, on his own, what is at stake, when he makes poor decisions. Because I don't see this organization taking responsibility for their own conduct, so it would be nice to see one individual show them how it is done.

I agree; Jared is, after all, a chronological adult.

TheLateGreat#58Fan
05-03-2007, 11:27 PM
hell of a point Chief31- I agree
I think we should help him out and do whateve we can to keep him. The only other thing is, and I dont know the exact number he is asking for, the amount of money he is supposedly asking for is on par with the top paid defensive lineman in the league, and to be honest he doesnt deserve that kind of money. He is a goodplayer but he is not a young Bruce Smith. Does anybody know what he really wants money wise?

Chiefster
05-04-2007, 12:21 AM
hell of a point Chief31- I agree
I think we should help him out and do whateve we can to keep him. The only other thing is, and I dont know the exact number he is asking for, the amount of money he is supposedly asking for is on par with the top paid defensive lineman in the league, and to be honest he doesnt deserve that kind of money. He is a goodplayer but he is not a young Bruce Smith. Does anybody know what he really wants money wise?

...A keg. :D

Cisco Kid
05-04-2007, 05:41 AM
I do agree that the Chiefs and all NFL teams need to be much more supportive of the players' needs regarding the pit falls and dangers they face associated with the world that now surrounds them. You have young men, with millions of dollars, placed high in the eye's of fans with the freedom to make most any dream come true. Self-control can be a difficult learning experience for some, full of self-impossed hardships and setbacks. Yes the individual and the team should jointly be responsible, but this doesn't resolve the on field issue.

Jared Allen will miss the first four games of the 2007 season, and who can say if his actions during his off time from the NFL will benefit him or possibly lead him even further away from the reality of responsibility?

With this question unanswered and only to be answered in time, the Chiefs must prepare as if Jared Allen will not mature, and possibly see his way out of Kansas City and the NFL.

The Chiefs appear to have made some rather noticable moves during the offseason to upgrade the interior of the defensive line. However, in numbers alone, it is clear to see the task is far from complete.

The Chiefs did re-sign starters Ron Edwards and James Reed as well as backup DL Jimmy Wilkerson. But these moves cannot be considered upgrades unto themselves. The Chiefs invested in Chicago Bears DT Alfonso Boone and drafted DL Turk McBride and DT Tank Tyler, but the numbers are still not there.

Within the next week or so, Carl Peterson will need to put to rest his ongoing tug-of-war with Miami over QB Trent Green and close out the true business at hand, by adding three additional DL. Two of these players are currently "street free agents" looking for employment;

DT Rashad Moore (6-3 325) played with the Jets in 2006 seeing limited action. Prior to the Jets, Moore spent his first four seasons with the Seattle Seahawks as a productive member of their DT rotation. No, Moore won't be expected to unseat Boone or even Edwards, but rather provide camp depth in the event either one is injured. Who knows, this could be just what the doctor ordered for this guy's career, but if nothing else, the Chiefs' earlier investment will be protected.

Next on the list is DE Al Wallace (6-5 275) who was released by Carolina in February as a cap savings move. Wallace is a ten year veteran with stops in Philly and Buffalo prior to Carolina. He has been a backup to Mike Rucker but has remained very productive. With the concern over Allens future and the void created, adding a player of Wallace's stature would go along ways in helping to "hold the fort".

Last of the three, but possibly the most important, is Dallas Cowboy LB/DE Greg Ellis. Ellis has been with Cowboys for his entire career and known as a pure sack artist. However, the Cowboys shifted to a 3-4 and have invested greatly in high priced draft picks over the last three seasons. Now, talent or not, Ellis did not buckle under the pressure of the young bucks breathing down his neck. Ellis made the move to LB and continued to produce until suffering a torn ACL last season. Reports are that Ellis is progressing well in his recovery and should be at 100% by season start. But with the Cowboy's selection of DE/LB Anthony Spencer, chances are strong that Ellis will be released or even traded. A pro-active approach to acquire Ellis might require a 2008 conditional draft pick to be shipped to Dallas, but it could be well worth it.

True, Herman Edwards is full throttle ahead on his youth movement that is long overdue. But as in the case of LB Donnie Edwards, veteran experience coupled with talent can help with the bridging process between young and old.

LDE Tamba Hali (6-3 275)
LDE Al Wallace (6-5 275)

LDT Alphonso Boone (6-4 318)
LDT Ron Edwards (6-3 315)
LDT Rashad Moore (6-3 320)

RDT Jimmy Wilkerson (6-2 290)
RDT Tank Tyler (6-2 306)
RDT James Reed (6-0 290)

RDE Greg Ellis (6-6 270)
RDE Turk McBride (6-4 276)
RDE Jared Allen (6-6 270)

Chiefster
05-04-2007, 07:21 AM
...But as in the case of LB Donnie Edwards, veteran experience coupled with talent can help with the bridging process between young and old...

You forgot Napoleon Harris. :D

Good post.

chief31
05-04-2007, 10:21 AM
I do agree that the Chiefs and all NFL teams need to be much more supportive of the players' needs regarding the pit falls and dangers they face associated with the world that now surrounds them. You have young men, with millions of dollars, placed high in the eye's of fans with the freedom to make most any dream come true. Self-control can be a difficult learning experience for some, full of self-impossed hardships and setbacks. Yes the individual and the team should jointly be responsible, but this doesn't resolve the on field issue.

Jared Allen will miss the first four games of the 2007 season, and who can say if his actions during his off time from the NFL will benefit him or possibly lead him even further away from the reality of responsibility?

With this question unanswered and only to be answered in time, the Chiefs must prepare as if Jared Allen will not mature, and possibly see his way out of Kansas City and the NFL.

The Chiefs appear to have made some rather noticable moves during the offseason to upgrade the interior of the defensive line. However, in numbers alone, it is clear to see the task is far from complete.

The Chiefs did re-sign starters Ron Edwards and James Reed as well as backup DL Jimmy Wilkerson. But these moves cannot be considered upgrades unto themselves. The Chiefs invested in Chicago Bears DT Alfonso Boone and drafted DL Turk McBride and DT Tank Tyler, but the numbers are still not there.

Within the next week or so, Carl Peterson will need to put to rest his ongoing tug-of-war with Miami over QB Trent Green and close out the true business at hand, by adding three additional DL. Two of these players are currently "street free agents" looking for employment;

DT Rashad Moore (6-3 325) played with the Jets in 2006 seeing limited action. Prior to the Jets, Moore spent his first four seasons with the Seattle Seahawks as a productive member of their DT rotation. No, Moore won't be expected to unseat Boone or even Edwards, but rather provide camp depth in the event either one is injured. Who knows, this could be just what the doctor ordered for this guy's career, but if nothing else, the Chiefs' earlier investment will be protected.

Next on the list is DE Al Wallace (6-5 275) who was released by Carolina in February as a cap savings move. Wallace is a ten year veteran with stops in Philly and Buffalo prior to Carolina. He has been a backup to Mike Rucker but has remained very productive. With the concern over Allens future and the void created, adding a player of Wallace's stature would go along ways in helping to "hold the fort".

Last of the three, but possibly the most important, is Dallas Cowboy LB/DE Greg Ellis. Ellis has been with Cowboys for his entire career and known as a pure sack artist. However, the Cowboys shifted to a 3-4 and have invested greatly in high priced draft picks over the last three seasons. Now, talent or not, Ellis did not buckle under the pressure of the young bucks breathing down his neck. Ellis made the move to LB and continued to produce until suffering a torn ACL last season. Reports are that Ellis is progressing well in his recovery and should be at 100% by season start. But with the Cowboy's selection of DE/LB Anthony Spencer, chances are strong that Ellis will be released or even traded. A pro-active approach to acquire Ellis might require a 2008 conditional draft pick to be shipped to Dallas, but it could be well worth it.

True, Herman Edwards is full throttle ahead on his youth movement that is long overdue. But as in the case of LB Donnie Edwards, veteran experience coupled with talent can help with the bridging process between young and old.

LDE Tamba Hali (6-3 275)
LDE Al Wallace (6-5 275)

LDT Alphonso Boone (6-4 318)
LDT Ron Edwards (6-3 315)
LDT Rashad Moore (6-3 320)

RDT Jimmy Wilkerson (6-2 290)
RDT Tank Tyler (6-2 306)
RDT James Reed (6-0 290)

RDE Greg Ellis (6-6 270)
RDE Turk McBride (6-4 276)
RDE Jared Allen (6-6 270)

Great post!

Chiefster
05-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Great post!

Post whore! :D
lol!

chief31
05-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Now that the draft is gone, I am willing to give the players, we did get, a fair chance. While I may have sounded a bit negative towards McBride, my biggest problem with his being picked, when he did, had nothing to do with him. I was "salty" about the O-line situation.

Now, I still think he is under-sized for the defensive tackle position. And most reports seem to think he lacks the ability to generate pressure, from the defensive tackle position.

However, I have seen him play, albeit, not alot,( this is game footage, not just a highlight reel) and he does seem to have a knack for getting himself into the offensive backfield. He makes plays, from any position, on the D-line. Perhaps he gains some weight and shows us that he can apply pressure, on the quarterback, from the inside of the defensive line, while holding his ground, against the run.

This is not to say, that he was a good pick, at no.54, but that he could wind-up as a good player. I still dislike the pick, but I don't, totally hate, the player.

texaschief
05-11-2007, 05:09 PM
Well, since Herm is replacing Allen anyways, why don't we just trade him to Carolina for Kris Jenkins. We can put Turk on the outside with Hali and our starting DTs could be Jenkins and Tank. The rotation obviously would include Edwards, Reed and Boone.

Anybody have an idea how we could land Lance Briggs? I'd like to package Trent Green with maybe a second round pick and PERHAPS Donnie Edwards for Briggs and a 4th. The Bears run a similar defense and Briggs could be the true stud of our defense. Although i realize that Green may not restructure his deal for Chicago, with Briggs off the books, the Bears might be able to keep green at his current figure.

How awesome would it be to see Briggs, Harris and Johnson backing Hali, Tank, Jenkins, and Turk? Then with the two young stud safeties Pollard and Page and the All-Pro corners of Law and Surtain behind them...good lord!!

Who needs an offense with a defense like that? lol

Sorry...I've been working in the sun too long today and a go off on these fantasies.

Chiefster
05-11-2007, 10:56 PM
Well, since Herm is replacing Allen anyways, why don't we just trade him to Carolina for Kris Jenkins. We can put Turk on the outside with Hali and our starting DTs could be Jenkins and Tank. The rotation obviously would include Edwards, Reed and Boone.

Anybody have an idea how we could land Lance Briggs? I'd like to package Trent Green with maybe a second round pick and PERHAPS Donnie Edwards for Briggs and a 4th. The Bears run a similar defense and Briggs could be the true stud of our defense. Although i realize that Green may not restructure his deal for Chicago, with Briggs off the books, the Bears might be able to keep green at his current figure.

How awesome would it be to see Briggs, Harris and Johnson backing Hali, Tank, Jenkins, and Turk? Then with the two young stud safeties Pollard and Page and the All-Pro corners of Law and Surtain behind them...good lord!!

Sorry...I've been working in the sun too long today and a go off on these fantasies.

We've noticed. LOL! Edwards isn't going anywhere and it doesn't seem as if too many teams are exactly beating down Green's door. I think that Herm is replacing Allan during the four weeks he'll miss. I'm hoping he will return to the starting line-up after serving his suspension a better, wiser football player.

Chiefster
05-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Now that the draft is gone, I am willing to give the players, we did get, a fair chance. While I may have sounded a bit negative towards McBride, my biggest problem with his being picked, when he did, had nothing to do with him. I was "salty" about the O-line situation.

Now, I still think he is under-sized for the defensive tackle position. And most reports seem to think he lacks the ability to generate pressure, from the defensive tackle position.

However, I have seen him play, albeit, not alot,( this is game footage, not just a highlight reel) and he does seem to have a knack for getting himself into the offensive backfield. He makes plays, from any position, on the D-line. Perhaps he gains some weight and shows us that he can apply pressure, on the quarterback, from the inside of the defensive line, while holding his ground, against the run.

This is not to say, that he was a good pick, at no.54, but that he could wind-up as a good player. I still dislike the pick, but I don't, totally hate, the player.

I am curious to see if our young draftees can make the grade; so to speak.

Guru
05-12-2007, 02:32 AM

Haven't you learned yet? We rarely draft a player for the actual position they play. We convert them.

chief31
05-12-2007, 09:40 AM

Sounds like a very good defense. I think we will have that with, or without Lance Briggs, in the mix. Although, there isn't anyone on our team, that is capable of filling Jared Allens shoes.

Chiefster
05-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Haven't you learned yet? We rarely draft a player for the actual position they play. We convert them.

Sad, but true.

Chiefster
05-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Sounds like a very good defense. I think we will have that with, or without Lance Briggs, in the mix. Although, there isn't anyone on our team, that is capable of filling Jared Allens shoes.

I think that Edwards and Harris will provide some much needed leadership for our new defense.

Coach
05-15-2007, 01:24 AM
I think our defense is going to be a top 10 defense next year.

Chiefster
05-15-2007, 02:49 AM
I think our defense is going to be a top 10 defense next year.

Very well could be.

kenny1937
05-18-2007, 02:54 AM
Our defense looks to be solid, I hope we get a TD or two from them to help our sagging offense. GO CHIEF'S!!!

:rockon: :character0045:

Chiefster
05-18-2007, 08:43 AM
Our defense looks to be solid, I hope we get a TD or two from them to help our sagging offense. GO CHIEF'S!!!

:rockon: :character0045:

Our defense is very solid. IMHO. As pessimistic as I have been this off season I do think we will win some games with our defense.

wolfpack
05-18-2007, 10:26 AM
i`m not worried about the defense. last year they showed signes of greatness. we`ve seen them at the bottom and they seem far from it. its hermmie`s ofense i`m worried about.

Chiefster
05-18-2007, 10:38 AM
i`m not worried about the defense. last year they showed signes of greatness. we`ve seen them at the bottom and they seem far from it. its hermmie`s ofense i`m worried about.

Same here, but this can of worms has been opened and re-opened; I think we need to move on. :)