PDA

View Full Version : What do you even do with 65 pounds of catfish?

hermhater
05-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I like catfish deep fried, but holy crap!!!

N. Texas Man Reels In 65-Pound Catfish

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/05/96.jpg

LEWISVILLE LAKE (CBS 11 News) ― A local man has a fish story that probably beats any tales his friends can tell--and he has the picture to prove it's true.

Royce Coker, of The Colony, was trolling for sand bass with a rod and reel at Lewisville Lake yesterday.

Coker says he thought his line was caught on something--but then he realized that "something" was pulling back.

After 45 minutes of fighting, Coker says he landed a monster of a fish: a 65-pound channel catfish.

Coker was in a 16-foot bass boat, and he says he had a hard time pulling it into the boat.

Texas Parks and Wildlife says if the catch is verified, it would be a new record for the lake. The previous record-holder weighed just 22 and a half pounds.

http://cbs11tv.com/pets/catfish.lewisville.lake.2.720376.html

AkChief49
05-10-2008, 05:14 PM
looks like a nice piece of halibut bait to me!

hermhater
05-10-2008, 05:24 PM
looks like a nice piece of halibut bait to me!

Deep sea fishing!

Right on!

I want to try that someday!

:bananen_smilies046:

AkChief49
05-10-2008, 05:27 PM
some of the best right here in Cook Inlet!!

hermhater
05-10-2008, 05:54 PM
some of the best right here in Cook Inlet!!

Have you ever caught a shark?

tammietailgator
05-10-2008, 06:15 PM
That is one huge mudsucker!!! I personally hate catfish... it tastes like mud to me ....

I will stick with my crappie:D

hermhater
05-10-2008, 06:41 PM
That is one huge mudsucker!!! I personally hate catfish... it tastes like mud to me ....

I will stick with my crappie:D

Mmmm... crappie...

:bananen_smilies046:

rbedgood
05-11-2008, 04:54 AM
Been deep sea fishing a couple times, but both times for Rock fish (cod, etc.) Good times, caught our limit both times.

Hayvern
05-11-2008, 04:18 PM
I like catfish deep fried, but holy crap!!!
That's a nice catch, I have caught bigger ones out the Missouri river, I caught 2, one 75 pounds and the other 69. I caught a 50 pounder in the Osage river down around Jefferson City once too.

What do you do with them? Well these big guys are not the best eating of the bunch, but you have a big fish fry with them.

tornadospotter
05-11-2008, 11:41 PM
That's a nice catch, I have caught bigger ones out the Missouri river, I caught 2, one 75 pounds and the other 69. I caught a 50 pounder in the Osage river down around Jefferson City once too.

What do you do with them? Well these big guys are not the best eating of the bunch, but you have a big fish fry with them.
I have not done this, or caught a cat fish anywhere close to that! But I was told at one time that you can put them in a tank of water, if still alive, for a period of time and flush out the muddy taste, any truth to that?
:sign0153:

tammietailgator
05-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I have not done this, or caught a cat fish anywhere close to that! But I was told at one time that you can put them in a tank of water, if still alive, for a period of time and flush out the muddy taste, any truth to that?
Probably not, A fish that big is old and has that yuck mud taste a though out. Plus what if it dies.... plus cat fish are so ugly and stink.....

tornadospotter
05-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Probably not, A fish that big is old and has that yuck mud taste a though out. Plus what if it dies.... plus cat fish are so ugly and stink.....
Well I never have to worry, because when I go fishing, the fish go on vacation!!! Which works out well, I go fishing for cold beer, and peace and tranquility!
:yahoo: :bananen_smilies046:

tammietailgator
05-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Well I never have to worry, because when I go fishing, the fish go on vacation!!! Which works out well, I go fishing for cold beer, and peace and tranquility!
:yahoo: :bananen_smilies046:
Not me!! I go for the catch..... We have caught about 20 the last 3 times out in the past few weeks. I was actually sore.... and fell in the lake.... It is fun! :lol:

tornadospotter
05-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Not me!! I go for the catch..... We have caught about 20 the last 3 times out in the past few weeks. I was actually sore.... and fell in the lake.... It is fun! :lol:
Well, you are going to love wiski girl, for a girl with a father that could not take her fishing, and really doesn't fish very well, she loves it! She takes her sisters fishing!

tammietailgator
05-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Well, you are going to love wiski girl, for a girl with a father that could not take her fishing, and really doesn't fish very well, she loves it! She takes her sisters fishing!
She seems great!!! I can't wait to meet her at the home opener! My dad was a firefighter so, time was limited - my mom took us a lot.

Hayvern
05-12-2008, 01:14 AM
Absolutely, I have never done it with a fish tank before, but I have done it where the fish we caught in the Missouri, we put in a holding basket in the Osage and since the Osage is a cleaner river, after about 5 days they are noticeably less oily and muddy tasting.

tornadospotter
05-12-2008, 02:50 AM
Absolutely, I have never done it with a fish tank before, but I have done it where the fish we caught in the Missouri, we put in a holding basket in the Osage and since the Osage is a cleaner river, after about 5 days they are noticeably less oily and muddy tasting.
:11: I may not be a good at fishing, but I did remember something about fish!

m0ef0e
05-12-2008, 02:28 PM

Ok, I need to get my mind outta the gutter but this cracked me up! :lol:

tammietailgator
05-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Ok, I need to get my mind outta the gutter but this cracked me up! :lol:
:lol:

AkChief49
05-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Have you ever caught a shark?salmon sharks, and what we call dogfish or little sand sharks

AkChief49
05-12-2008, 07:43 PM
the big "barn-door " halibut do not taste near as good as the 20 to 60 pounders. I do not keep them anymore because of this(you live and learn) and for the fact the large ones(anything over 100lbs.) are the females!

tammietailgator
05-12-2008, 07:59 PM
the big "barn-door " halibut do not taste near as good as the 20 to 60 pounders. I do not keep them anymore because of this(you live and learn) and for the fact the large ones(anything over 100lbs.) are the females!
so your saying that the females taste bad, or you want them to spawn more?

tornadospotter
05-12-2008, 08:03 PM
:11:...................

nope, not going to say it, but :funnypost:

Chiefster
05-12-2008, 08:57 PM
In Coffeyville they nail their heads to telephone poles and detatch their bodies.

chief31
05-13-2008, 09:17 PM

Actually, when cleaning catfish, if you are willing to do the extra work of removing all of the fat, mudvain and what they call the laternal-line, catfish easily loses that "muddy" taste.

hermhater
05-13-2008, 09:24 PM
In Coffeyville they nail their heads to telephone poles and detatch their bodies.

I'm sure your degenerate influence had nothing to do with it.

:biggrin:

tammietailgator
05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
That is what everyone says... I have yet to find somebody that can really do it! :lol:

chief31
05-14-2008, 05:48 AM
That is what everyone says... I have yet to find somebody that can really do it! :lol:

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm116/angelnbuffy77/doc.jpg

Chiefster
05-14-2008, 07:34 AM
I'm sure your degenerate influence had nothing to do with it.

:biggrin:

Somebody gotta teach these youngsters how to. :11:

AkChief49
05-14-2008, 10:35 PM
they do not taste as good when they are that large, and for the spawnning thing..:D

Chiefster
05-14-2008, 10:47 PM

Depends on ones perspective. :p