05-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Me too!!!! dang bill, if I had known, I would be living well right now. :11:

He's the debil!

Chiefster
05-12-2008, 08:34 PM
I like teachers, don't get me wrong...

I'm just saying...

Ya, that's pretty dumb.

Extremely dumb! The kid was obviously doing nothing wrong, but probably would have been better served by simply closing out FF and going with IE. However, teachers are human too.

Hayvern
05-13-2008, 12:53 AM
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/05/101.jpg

Having worked in IT at a public school, I can understand why the teacher has a no-tolerance policy. The teacher might not have known that Firefox is just a browser, but in high school kids are notorius for trying to do things they are not supposed to be doing with their computers.

Also, I would assume the teacher was using some monitoring software to monitor the students program executions, these programs are not very smart really and renaming an executable is an easy way to not draw attention to yourself.

In this case, I think the teacher could have handled things better,

chief31
05-13-2008, 01:37 AM
Having worked in IT at a public school, I can understand why the teacher has a no-tolerance policy. The teacher might not have known that Firefox is just a browser, but in high school kids are notorius for trying to do things they are not supposed to be doing with their computers.

Also, I would assume the teacher was using some monitoring software to monitor the students program executions, these programs are not very smart really and renaming an executable is an easy way to not draw attention to yourself.

In this case, I think the teacher could have handled things better,

I would say that if the teacher gave two warnings, then maybe it would have wise to just do as you were told. :D

INSUBORDINATION!!!!

hermhater
05-13-2008, 01:52 AM
I would say that if the teacher gave two warnings, then maybe it would have wise to just do as you were told. :D

INSUBORDINATION!!!!

If the school has a policy that says Internet Explorer is the only browser to be used then that is collusion between the Government and Microsoft.

This is an obvious example of Microsoft's ability to manipulate children for their financial gain in the future.

If you think I'm sounding like a paranoid conspiracy theorist then consider the tax breaks that MS gets for providing low cost licenses to a MASSIVE amount of public schools.

chief31
05-13-2008, 02:15 AM
If the school has a policy that says Internet Explorer is the only browser to be used then that is collusion between the Government and Microsoft.

This is an obvious example of Microsoft's ability to manipulate children for their financial gain in the future.

If you think I'm sounding like a paranoid conspiracy theorist then consider the tax breaks that MS gets for providing low cost licenses to a MASSIVE amount of public schools.

Not that I disagree with that at all, but if you disobey a direct order from your teacher, then you are guilty of insubordination.

The student ayght to have just dealt with IE and tried to get the rule changed, or convince the teacher of your case afterward.

Not like there was a fire that had to be taken care of right then and there.

hermhater
05-13-2008, 02:41 AM
Not that I disagree with that at all, but if you disobey a direct order from your teacher, then you are guilty of insubordination.

The student ayght to have just dealt with IE and tried to get the rule changed, or convince the teacher of your case afterward.

Not like there was a fire that had to be taken care of right then and there.

I agree with you about the student being in the wrong for not following instructions.

Also, back to Hayverns post about kids trying to get away with stuff, I agree with that too.

Maybe the whole problem is that Herm is a substitute teacher (who doesn't have the internet), and shouldn't be teaching anything, anytime, anywhere???

rbedgood
05-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Umm, not sure if this could be a problem, but is there a chance that the school's computer lab person installed IE with filters & parental filter software and the teacher could've been concerned or not known if such filters would be turned on in Firefox. Thus the teacher may not be so stupid as the article might imply?

Just a thought.

hermhater
05-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Umm, not sure if this could be a problem, but is there a chance that the school's computer lab person installed IE with filters & parental filter software and the teacher could've been concerned or not known if such filters would be turned on in Firefox. Thus the teacher may not be so stupid as the article might imply?

Just a thought.

OK then let's change the title of the thread to "Stupid IT personnel at a school" for not changing administrative rights so that the kid couldn't install Firefox in the first place.

The filters should be set up on the schools web and proxy servers so that the content is blocked at the source, anyways.

rbedgood
05-14-2008, 04:07 AM
OK then let's change the title of the thread to "Stupid IT personnel at a school" for not changing administrative rights so that the kid couldn't install Firefox in the first place.

The filters should be set up on the schools web and proxy servers so that the content is blocked at the source, anyways.

I wasn't saying the filters wouldn't work, but rather that the teacher wouldn't know how they were set up and therefore would play it safe. It really comes down to the kid was probably not doing anything wrong on the computer, but was given a reasonable and direct instruction and refused to comply!

Chiefster
05-14-2008, 07:45 AM

This is a good point, restrict the users internet access and this is a non issue.

Chiefster
05-14-2008, 07:46 AM
I wasn't saying the filters wouldn't work, but rather that the teacher wouldn't know how they were set up and therefore would play it safe. It really comes down to the kid was probably not doing anything wrong on the computer, but was given a reasonable and direct instruction and refused to comply!

This too may well have been the case.