PDA

View Full Version : Falcons sign Ryan to $72M contract

Guru
05-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Falcons sign Ryan to $72M contract

By Peter King, SI.com

In a stunning contract sure to have ramifications up and down the first round of the NFL draft, the Atlanta Falcons have signed QB Matt Ryan, the third pick in April's draft, to a six-year, $72 million contract with a hefty $34.75 million bonus.

The Falcons obviously wanted to get Ryan in camp without a holdout. The franchise is eager to lift black cloud that has hung over the franchise since Michael Vick was jailed in a shocking dogfighting case and coach Bobby Petrino jilted the team with three games left in the season, leaving for Arkansas.

Ryan is expected to compete for the starting job with Falcon roster holdovers Joey Harrington and Chris Redman. Obviously, it's only a matter of time before he wins the job as Atlanta's quarterback of the future.

NFL teams had been trying to hold down rookie salaries this year, and Miami's signing of No. 1 pick Jake Long to a reported five-year, $57.75 million contract with $30 million guaranteed was a step in the right direction because it contained approximately the same guaranteed money as last year's top pick, JaMarcus Russell, received from the Oakland Raiders. But $34 million guaranteed for the third pick will surely draw the ire of other teams and general managers trying to hold the line.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/05/20/ryan.contract/index.html

Chiefster
05-20-2008, 08:35 PM
12 million a year...lucky stiff!

...And the extra 34.75 doesn't hurt either.

Guru
05-20-2008, 08:52 PM
Gotta love rookie salaries. This just made Carl's job much harder.

Chiefster
05-20-2008, 09:57 PM
Gotta love rookie salaries. This just made Carl's job much harder.

I don't even want to talk about Carl's job.

AkChief49
05-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Gotta love rookie salaries. This just made Carl's job much harder.Rookie salaries need to get under control. 34 mil for a 3rd pick!! when are the vets going to wake up on this? I know, I know but it's fun flogging a dead horse:D

Guru
05-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Well, now that the owners opted out of the CBA, I am sure that this will be one of the things they aim to fix.

rbedgood
05-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Well, now that the owners opted out of the CBA, I am sure that this will be one of the things they aim to fix.

Yeah, I'd imagine that some sort of rookie salary scale will be implemented.

Chief from the North
05-20-2008, 10:56 PM
I guess they got thier "Vick" money back

AkChief49
05-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Yeah, I'd imagine that some sort of rookie salary scale will be implemented.Something is going to have to give. Pretty soon people will not be able to afford nose bleed tickets( from what I'm hearing it's already almost to that point)they'll price themselves out of a job if they do not do it("rookie salary scale")flog, flog, flog:D

Coach
05-20-2008, 10:59 PM
The NFL needs a rookie salary cap and I think even the players agree on that.

Guru
05-20-2008, 11:40 PM
The NFL needs a rookie salary cap and I think even the players agree on that.

I would have to think the pro bowlers out there have to take at least some offense to rookies stepping in and making nearly the same money they do now.

This is one thing I truly hope they are able to get fixed.

Chiefster
05-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah, I'd imagine that some sort of rookie salary scale will be implemented.

There really needs to be; the cost of going to a game is high enough as it is.