hermhater
05-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Dude shoots coyotes with a hand gun?

Moran.

Chiefster
05-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Well Chiefster probably didn't at his age, because of frail bones.:wheelchair:
The Canadian probably want a $250 beer card!:beer: :bananen_smilies046:

True, but with gas prices the way they are my first incilnation was to take the gas, however, then I thought: that would last, what, something like month maybe two...

Chiefster
05-24-2008, 05:33 PM

Moran.

Without a doubt.

rbedgood
05-24-2008, 08:04 PM

Moran.

Leprechaun, read the whole article...the man said he has a handgun in his pocket and a RIFLE in his truck. He never said which one he used to shoot the coyotes.

Chiefster
05-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Leprechaun, read the whole article...the man said he has a handgun in his pocket and a RIFLE in his truck. He never said which one he used to shoot the coyotes.

I guess I should take a crack at reading also; it is fundamental after all. :D

Chief from the North
05-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Look who didn't buy the gun!!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080522/us/usreport_usa_missouri_gun_dc

I just bought a car...all I got was heated seats. But a warm *** is so much more important here. As the beatles once sang...Happiness is a Warm ***

tornadospotter
05-25-2008, 01:29 PM
I just bought a car...all I got was heated seats. But a warm *** is so much more important here. As the beatles once sang...Happiness is a Warm ***
:D No, not going to say it! :D :D :D :D

Hayvern
05-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Look who didn't buy the gun!!

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080522/us/usreport_usa_missouri_gun_dc

Well, it's pretty obvious to everyone that the Canadian needed the gas card in order to get back home!

AkChief49
05-25-2008, 11:04 PM
"We're just damn glad to live in a free country where you can have a gun if you want. This is the way it ought to be." Amen to that!

Canada
05-25-2008, 11:34 PM
"We're just damn glad to live in a free country where you can have a gun if you want. This is the way it ought to be." Amen to that!

I would have to disagree with you there my friend!! But to each his own!! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
05-26-2008, 01:46 AM
I would have to disagree with you there my friend!! But to each his own!! :bananen_smilies046:

Well said! :sign0098:

YZILLA
05-26-2008, 01:53 PM
I dont want to live in a country that takes guns away from the honest people . We all know the bad guys will get them regardless. We definately dont need another president like we currently have . But we dont need one who believes guns are bad .

Canada
05-26-2008, 04:08 PM
I am not talking about taking away every gun in the US (although that would solve a lot of the gun problems that exist) If you have a gun for hunting that's great, but carrying handguns in your coat is just a false sense of security. If someone breaks into your house you shoot them right? No court in the world sentences a person to death for BE. Carrying guns everywhere makes things more dangerous than safe!

rbedgood
05-26-2008, 07:30 PM
I am not talking about taking away every gun in the US (although that would solve a lot of the gun problems that exist) If you have a gun for hunting that's great, but carrying handguns in your coat is just a false sense of security. If someone breaks into your house you shoot them right? No court in the world sentences a person to death for BE. Carrying guns everywhere makes things more dangerous than safe!

A)...then don't break into my house

B)...I'm not waiting to find out if the "entrant" is a burglar or a crazy psychopath serial killer. We can sort it out after the threat has been removed.

Canada
05-27-2008, 01:28 AM
A)...then don't break into my house

B)...I'm not waiting to find out if the "entrant" is a burglar or a crazy psychopath serial killer. We can sort it out after the threat has been removed.

Like I said...no court in the world would give the death penalty for a B and E, yet every gun owner in the world thinks they have the right to shoot someone if they are in their house.

hermhater
05-27-2008, 01:33 AM
Damn.

You guys are about to catch up to me in post count!

:wink:

This is a delicate subject that is not as straight forward as taking folks' guns away.

This is also about the gun laws that are being passed in a state that is less than 30 miles from me.

(If anyone can translate that into millimeters for Canada he would most likely appreciate it.)

Canada
05-27-2008, 01:37 AM
Damn.

You guys are about to catch up to me in post count!

:wink:

This is a delicate subject that is not as straight forward as taking folks' guns away.

This is also about the gun laws that are being passed in a state that is less than 30 miles from me.

I am not talking about taking peoples guns away. I am saying that there is not need for someone to have a handgun under their pillow at night. Rbed says shoot first ask questions later...can the police do that? It is ridiculous to think that it is OK to shoot and kill someone for a B and E, but if a cop were to shoot someone in a similar situation we would have a great big long thread about how corrupt the police are. It just seems *** backwards to me to try and solve the problem of crime and violence with more guns. Look how well that idea worked out in the middle east!!

AkChief49
05-27-2008, 02:18 AM
I am not talking about taking peoples guns away. I am saying that there is not need for someone to have a handgun under their pillow at night. Rbed says shoot first ask questions later...can the police do that? It is ridiculous to think that it is OK to shoot and kill someone for a B and E, but if a cop were to shoot someone in a similar situation we would have a great big long thread about how corrupt the police are. It just seems *** backwards to me to try and solve the problem of crime and violence with more guns. Look how well that idea worked out in the middle east!!I'm not sure I would shoot someone for B&E. But him staring at or even knowing I have something more than BB gun is pretty good deterent:D I guess I'm of the mind a guy has the right to defend his castle!:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
05-27-2008, 02:20 AM
I'm not sure I would shoot someone for B&E. But him staring at or even knowing I have something more than BB gun is pretty good deterent:D I guess I'm of the mind a guy has the right to defend his castle!:bananen_smilies046:

So am I, I just don't need a gun to do it!

rbedgood
05-27-2008, 04:34 AM
I am not talking about taking peoples guns away. I am saying that there is not need for someone to have a handgun under their pillow at night. Rbed says shoot first ask questions later...can the police do that? It is ridiculous to think that it is OK to shoot and kill someone for a B and E, but if a cop were to shoot someone in a similar situation we would have a great big long thread about how corrupt the police are. It just seems *** backwards to me to try and solve the problem of crime and violence with more guns. Look how well that idea worked out in the middle east!!

p.s. any intelligent gun owner is going to use a shotgun w/ pellets as a home defense weapon rather than a handgun. It is more accurate in these situations and the rounds have less ability to penetrate walls, etc. and hit unintended target. Personally I have a nice Winchester 1300 Defender for such occasions. It holds a hefty 7 rounds in the tube, and frankly unless someone is dead serious about doing harm to my family members they're going to depart when they hear the first round chamber in the shotgun.

Trust me, the sound is quite unmistakeable.

No I don't want to shoot someone, yes I have handguns in the house, but frankly they're mostly used at the range, however I live in a state where I don't have to carry the dang handgun under a vest. I can put it in a holster on my hip and carry it for all to see. (Not that I do, but it is my legal right)

rbedgood
05-27-2008, 04:42 AM

First of all, there are Canadians that agree with some of us... http://www.casd.ca/

Secondly, how are you going to defend yourself without a firearm when one of these hits...?

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2008/01/06/home-invasions.html?ref=rss

I'm not saying that in theory gun control isn't a nice utopian idea...however in reality if the crooks have guns still, I'm keeping MINE!!

Canada
05-27-2008, 05:51 AM
p.s. any intelligent gun owner is going to use a shotgun w/ pellets as a home defense weapon rather than a handgun. It is more accurate in these situations and the rounds have less ability to penetrate walls, etc. and hit unintended target. Personally I have a nice Winchester 1300 Defender for such occasions. It holds a hefty 7 rounds in the tube, and frankly unless someone is dead serious about doing harm to my family members they're going to depart when they hear the first round chamber in the shotgun.

Trust me, the sound is quite unmistakeable.

No I don't want to shoot someone, yes I have handguns in the house, but frankly they're mostly used at the range, however I live in a state where I don't have to carry the dang handgun under a vest. I can put it in a holster on my hip and carry it for all to see. (Not that I do, but it is my legal right)

ahhhh....sorry, I did not know they were all intelligent gun owners. I picked up an 8 year old kid who took a bullet through the chest because someone had their gun accidentally go off. I am sure the same guy would have told me the how much safer he is because he has a gun. I am not denying that it is your legal right, but maybe less guns might mean less crime. But I guess we will never know.

Canada
05-27-2008, 05:53 AM
First of all, there are Canadians that agree with some of us... http://www.casd.ca/

I am not saying there aren't!

Secondly, how are you going to defend yourself without a firearm when one of these hits...?

I have managed to defend myself and my family quite well without a gun. My 120 pound Rottweiler helps with that.

I'm not saying that in theory gun control isn't a nice utopian idea...however in reality if the crooks have guns still, I'm keeping MINE!!

Maybe if everyone didn't have that mentality then there would not be as many guns around for the crooks to get their hands on.

Chief from the North
05-27-2008, 11:47 AM

Just for clarification...it's a very small percentage of Canadians who agree with gun ownership, and most of them are in Alberta...our version of Texas. And of that small percentage, the only ones who tend to support anything other than rifles for hunting are gangs.

I think that the issue about the misuse of guns is as much to do with over crowding as anything else. Tightly packed civilizations with a great degree of freedom and entitlement are always going to be bloody. Add in what has typically passed for entertainment in the last 50 years and it only makes things worse.

I don't know all the answers...I just know that up here we choose to beat each other to death. Just kidding.

chief31
05-27-2008, 09:58 PM
No court in the world sentences a person to death for BE. Carrying guns everywhere makes things more dangerous than safe!

When a possibly armed intruder is in my house, I don't have time to call in a bunch of jurors and lawyers and such.

Right, because noone has ever broken into a home with a gun.

Just for clarification...it's a very small percentage of Canadians who agree with gun ownership, and most of them are in Alberta...our version of Texas. And of that small percentage, the only ones who tend to support anything other than rifles for hunting are gangs.

I think that the issue about the misuse of guns is as much to do with over crowding as anything else. Tightly packed civilizations with a great degree of freedom and entitlement are always going to be bloody. Add in what has typically passed for entertainment in the last 50 years and it only makes things worse.

I don't know all the answers...I just know that up here we choose to beat each other to death. Just kidding.

Excellent post.

Canada
05-27-2008, 10:50 PM
When a possibly armed intruder is in my house, I don't have time to call in a bunch of jurors and lawyers and such.

There is a middle ground between that and shoot first ask questions.

Right, because noone has ever broken into a home with a gun.

It has never happened to me, but I don't live in a country where everyone has a gun.

Excellent post.

Yes it was!! :bananen_smilies046:

tornadospotter
05-27-2008, 10:58 PM

I own 2 guns, a rifle, and a shot gun. Break into my house I will beat you with them, cause it would take to long to find the dang shells!!!!

hermhater
05-28-2008, 01:01 AM
I've got no problem with shotguns, and rifles.

I do have a problem with handguns, and automatic weapons.

chief31
05-28-2008, 02:03 AM
There is a middle ground between that and shoot first ask questions.

Not much, if you are truly fearful for your life, or the lives of your children in your own home.

It has never happened to me, but I don't live in a country where everyone has a gun.

Me neither, and I do live here. :lol: But I know that it a possibility. Here, or there.

chief31
05-28-2008, 02:05 AM
I've got no problem with shotguns, and rifles.

I do have a problem with handguns, and automatic weapons.
If it weren't for private citizens getting ahold of some top of the line weapons, the U.S.A. would still be owned, primarily, by Great Britain.

This country was founded that way, and was intended to stay that way.

rbedgood
05-28-2008, 02:12 AM
If it weren't for private citizens getting ahold of some top of the line weapons, the U.S.A. would still be owned, primarily, by Great Britain.

Besides, other countries (including Great Britain where gun control has been the norm for decades) have proven you can't get the guns away from the crooks. So until a system is created (utopia doesn't exist) where you can, then disarming the law-abiding citizens is objectionable, if not morally wrong.

Canada
05-28-2008, 09:17 AM

:lol::lol::lol: NO matter how many people need to die!!

Chief from the North
05-28-2008, 09:52 AM
Me neither, and I do live here. :lol: But I know that it a possibility. Here, or there.

But here is where the question really lies. Is it worth it?? Is it worth it on the off chance that someone is going to invade your home? Is it worth it to have a weapon that may accidentally go off, or may be found by your kids? I understand that you are supposed to keep the ammo in a seperate location, but does everyone? All the time? And then where is the protection value? As previously mentioned the time it takes to load the weapon eliminates the ability to react with the weapon. For those of us who are parents out there, can you actually imagine the pain and grief you would endure for the rest of your life if YOU were responsible for your kids death? If someone breaks in and hurts my family, I'll feel guilt perhaps, and definate anger, but unless it is unprovoked it won't have been something I could have avoided. And God forbid if it ever happened, yes, I would spend every waking moment avenging them, and it won't be a quick painless punishment with a gun.

The percentage of random violence is so small compared to the overall numbers, that it is far more likely to get in a traffic accident, or contract a disease.
So my point again is this...considering all of the possible negative consequences is it really worth it for such a small percentage threat?

For you maybe? For me, not so much. Damn this topic got serious huh? I think we need some :beer:

Hayvern
05-28-2008, 03:51 PM
I believe it was Benjamin Franklin that wrote in the Federalist Papers:

"Whomever would trade Liberty for Safety, deserves neither Liberty nor Safety"

I tend to believe that myself. I had a cousin and an Aunt both die from guns, one was an accidental shooting and one was a suicide. Even after that, I still maintain that not only should every citizen own a weapon, that it be REQUIRED that every citizen own a weapon.

I will be quiet now as I know this is bordering on a political discussion and I think political discussions are only allowed in one section of the site.

Hayvern
05-28-2008, 03:59 PM
But here is where the question really lies. Is it worth it?? Is it worth it on the off chance that someone is going to invade your home? Is it worth it to have a weapon that may accidentally go off, or may be found by your kids? I understand that you are supposed to keep the ammo in a seperate location, but does everyone? All the time? And then where is the protection value? As previously mentioned the time it takes to load the weapon eliminates the ability to react with the weapon. For those of us who are parents out there, can you actually imagine the pain and grief you would endure for the rest of your life if YOU were responsible for your kids death? If someone breaks in and hurts my family, I'll feel guilt perhaps, and definate anger, but unless it is unprovoked it won't have been something I could have avoided. And God forbid if it ever happened, yes, I would spend every waking moment avenging them, and it won't be a quick painless punishment with a gun.

The percentage of random violence is so small compared to the overall numbers, that it is far more likely to get in a traffic accident, or contract a disease.
So my point again is this...considering all of the possible negative consequences is it really worth it for such a small percentage threat?

For you maybe? For me, not so much. Damn this topic got serious huh? I think we need some :beer:

Sorry to carry on the serious discussion, but I would argue that those people who are victims of accidental shootings have not been trained in the proper handling of firearms.

I have never heard of even a loaded weapon going off and killing someone, even injuring someone on its own. In every case, it is because someone made a dumb mistake. The grief from a death involving a handgun is no different than the grief from a death involving an automobile, yet there are many more deaths from those types of accidents than handguns everyday.

I know this sounds like a lame argument, but the only difference between guns and every other tool made by man is that the gun is built for the purpose to kill. Everything else has an alternative main purpose, so we accept those deaths and injuries as accidents without any talk about outlawing those items. However, because guns are tools for killing, we somehoe think it is alright to outlaw those tools.

In the end, they are just tools, they are not inherently evil and if we set aside our emotions before making a decision, logically we would all agree that it is not the fault of the tool that travestys take place.

Chief from the North
05-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Sorry to carry on the serious discussion, but I would argue that those people who are victims of accidental shootings have not been trained in the proper handling of firearms.

I have never heard of even a loaded weapon going off and killing someone, even injuring someone on its own. In every case, it is because someone made a dumb mistake. The grief from a death involving a handgun is no different than the grief from a death involving an automobile, yet there are many more deaths from those types of accidents than handguns everyday.

I know this sounds like a lame argument, but the only difference between guns and every other tool made by man is that the gun is built for the purpose to kill. Everything else has an alternative main purpose, so we accept those deaths and injuries as accidents without any talk about outlawing those items. However, because guns are tools for killing, we somehoe think it is alright to outlaw those tools.

In the end, they are just tools, they are not inherently evil and if we set aside our emotions before making a decision, logically we would all agree that it is not the fault of the tool that travestys take place.

Good argument.

m0ef0e
05-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I've been shooting since I was eight. I never "played" with guns because I not only knew what they were and what they were capable of but they also lost their mystery to me at a young age. Gun safety is second-nature to me and I will probably teach my kids about the proper handling and use of guns at a fairly young age (assuming I ever have any). I had a friend who died in a hunting accident when i was fourteen (I wasn't there), but the cause was as Hayvern mentioned-- a mistake.

The people holding them are what make guns dangerous. Even if their intent is not malicious, an honest mistake can prove fatal when dealing with firearms. This is why I think it's good to become comfortable enough with them to the point that all habits of gun safety pretty much become instinct. I don't have to think about pointing my shotgun away from my dad or bro when we are in a duck blind because it's just automatic now. It's always there without me having to keep it in the front of my thoughts. Of course everybody should take a formal safety training course and become certified before handling or using guns. I've done it twice. They teach you the little things you normally may not think of and with something as potentially disastrous as guns, every little thing counts.

rbedgood
05-28-2008, 08:51 PM
I've been shooting since I was eight. I never "played" with guns because I not only knew what they were and what they were capable of but they also lost their mystery to me at a young age. Gun safety is second-nature to me and I will probably teach my kids about the proper handling and use of guns at a fairly young age (assuming I ever have any). I had a friend who died in a hunting accident when i was fourteen (I wasn't there), but the cause was as Hayvern mentioned-- a mistake.

The people holding them are what make guns dangerous. Even if their intent is not malicious, an honest mistake can prove fatal when dealing with firearms. This is why I think it's good to become comfortable enough with them to the point that all habits of gun safety pretty much become instinct. I don't have to think about pointing my shotgun away from my dad or bro when we are in a duck blind because it's just automatic now. It's always there without me having to keep it in the front of my thoughts. Of course everybody should take a formal safety training course and become certified before handling or using guns. I've done it twice. They teach you the little things you normally may not think of and with something as potentially disastrous as guns, every little thing counts.

Well said...

Chiefster
05-28-2008, 10:13 PM
I don't own a firearm and don't really want to, and I don't begrudge anyone else’s right to own one. Like m0ef0e though I would much prefer that those who own firearms to be well trained in the proper handling of said firearms.

chief31
05-28-2008, 10:41 PM
:lol::lol::lol: NO matter how many people need to die!!

Well, if that's the argument, then turn in your car. Cars are guilty of killing a whole lot more people than guns.

Hey, accidents are going to happen, right up until they secure enough funds to put everyone in their own cozy little prison cell. And even then, somehow, bad things will still happen.

For you maybe? For me, not so much. Damn this topic got serious huh? I think we need some :beer:\
I really like this reply.^

And I say that as long as each of us is allowed to choose rather or not it is worth it for our own homes, thenthere is no argument.

:sign0098:

Chiefster
05-28-2008, 10:50 PM
Well, if that's the argument, then turn in your car. Cars are guilty of killing a whole lot more people than guns.

Hey, accidents are going to happen, right up until they secure enough funds to put everyone in their own cozy little prison cell. And even then, somehow, bad things will still happen.

I really like this reply.^

And I say that as long as each of us is allowed to choose rather or not it is worth it for our own homes, thenthere is no argument.

:sign0098:

Good point!

Chief from the North
05-28-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't own a firearm and don't really want to, and I don't begrudge anyone else’s right to own one. Like m0ef0e though I would much prefer that those who own firearms to be well trained in the proper handling of said firearms.

I agree. I think that if you have to be tested to drive a car, you should be tested and trained to use a firearm. And I don't begrudge any responsible person any reasonable freedom.
:bananen_smilies046:

AkChief49
05-28-2008, 11:25 PM

The people holding them are what make guns dangerous. Even if their intent is not malicious, an honest mistake can prove fatal when dealing with firearms. This is why I think it's good to become comfortable enough with them to the point that all habits of gun safety pretty much become instinct. I don't have to think about pointing my shotgun away from my dad or bro when we are in a duck blind because it's just automatic now. It's always there without me having to keep it in the front of my thoughts. Of course everybody should take a formal safety training course and become certified before handling or using guns. I've done it twice. They teach you the little things you normally may not think of and with something as potentially disastrous as guns, every little thing counts.It was the same for me growing up. My Dad made sure safety was #1 when handling a gun. By the time I was 10 it was no big deal to grab the ol .22 and go get a couple rabbits...on my own. you can take the words of Moefoe in bold and substitute car. Teach your children well!!

Canada
05-28-2008, 11:30 PM

Guns,,,Cars...gotta get to work....gotta shoot someone. Almost seems like a similar comparison. One is a means of transport...the other to shoot and kill!! Seriously, having a gun is bad but driving a car is much worse. Justify it however you like, but look at the number of murders in the US vs other countries in the world. Something does not add up.

Chief from the North
05-28-2008, 11:35 PM
It was the same for me growing up. My Dad made sure safety was #1 when handling a gun. By the time I was 10 it was no big deal to grab the ol .22 and go get a couple rabbits...on my own. you can take the words of Moefoe in bold and substitute car. Teach your children well!!

I have to share...my only experience with a firearm was at a firing range a few months ago (I didn't even know we had then in Canada). I fired off a few rounds from a few different hand guns, mostly out of curiousity. Then I went back to my office and worked for the rest of the day...no big deal.
The next day I flew to another city and watched as the usual and standard swab for explosives on my laptop turned horribly wrong and nearly ended up in a body cavity search. Apparently I failed to wash my hands sufficiently before typing on my laptop, and the swab picked it up.
So yes kiddies...the moral is use your weapons responsibly or you may be facing the business end of an airport rent-a-cop with a lubed arm and a bad attitude.
:bananen_smilies083:

rbedgood
05-29-2008, 12:01 AM
I have to share...my only experience with a firearm was at a firing range a few months ago (I didn't even know we had then in Canada). I fired off a few rounds from a few different hand guns, mostly out of curiousity. Then I went back to my office and worked for the rest of the day...no big deal.
The next day I flew to another city and watched as the usual and standard swab for explosives on my laptop turned horribly wrong and nearly ended up in a body cavity search. Apparently I failed to wash my hands sufficiently before typing on my laptop, and the swab picked it up.
So yes kiddies...the moral is use your weapons responsibly or you may be facing the business end of an airport rent-a-cop with a lubed arm and a bad attitude.
:bananen_smilies083:

That there's funny...personally I shoot at the range pretty often, and fly at least a couple times a week, and I've never had a problem. But that there is funny....them TSA rent-a-cops get a bit serious too!!

chief31
05-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Guns,,,Cars...gotta get to work....gotta shoot someone. Almost seems like a similar comparison. One is a means of transport...the other to shoot and kill!! Seriously, having a gun is bad but driving a car is much worse. Justify it however you like, but look at the number of murders in the US vs other countries in the world. Something does not add up.

Well, I am always told that driving is a priveledge. Therefore, there is no "need" to it.

As far as the numbers... We are far from the leaders of that pack. And is it me, or are those numbers going to include the CRIMINALS that are going to get the guns either way? :D

hermhater
05-29-2008, 03:35 AM
Well, I am always told that driving is a priveledge. Therefore, there is no "need" to it.

As far as the numbers... We are far from the leaders of that pack. And is it me, or are those numbers going to include the CRIMINALS that are going to get the guns either way? :D

Making it difficult for folks to pay for gas is a pretty bad idea.

Driving may become a non issue.

Canada
05-29-2008, 08:46 AM

Dude, at the end of the day I live in Canada so I don't really care. Bury your head in the sand and ignore the problem. A lot of people get shot in the US whether you agree with it or not. You guys want to walk around all day with 42 guns strapped to your legs for "safety" go for it.

As far as the leaders of that pack...how many "civilized" countries are ahead of you?

m0ef0e
05-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Dude, at the end of the day I live in Canada so I don't really care. Bury your head in the sand and ignore the problem. A lot of people get shot in the US whether you agree with it or not. You guys want to walk around all day with 42 guns strapped to your legs for "safety" go for it.

As far as the leaders of that pack...how many "civilized" countries are ahead of you?

...or are they simply behind the curve in population control? :D

Chief from the North
05-29-2008, 11:31 AM
...or are they simply behind the curve in population control? :D

:funnypost: :lol:

Chiefster
05-29-2008, 07:51 PM
I agree. I think that if you have to be tested to drive a car, you should be tested and trained to use a firearm. And I don't begrudge any responsible person any reasonable freedom.
:bananen_smilies046:

Well said! :bananen_smilies046:

Coach
05-29-2008, 10:57 PM
If our country contained only rational thinking human beings, then gun control wouldn't be an issue. But the reality is that society has changed. Columbine, Virginia Tech, on and on. Too many loonies floating around nowadays to not have serious gun control. My friend and I got in to this argument the other day.

The argument revolved around Marvin Harrison. Harrison is going to be drug through the cleaners all year because of his shooting incident. And he could end up in prison. He could literally lose everything. For what? So he could save his reptutation. So someone doesn't steal his $5,000 gold chain.

Meanwhile, one week later Rashard Mendenhall is held up at gunpoint. Mendenhall was not carrying a gun. Nobody was shot. Mendenhall was robbed of some petty jewelry, and off he went. Now he still has a full NFL career ahead of him and the opportunity to make millions. Had he pulled a gun in retaliation, his life would look drastically differently. He might be dead. This whole argument started as part of the fatlock thread somewhere in these forums.

I am of the opinion that everyone should be innocent until proven guilty. Clean record, benefit of doubt. Crminal record, slingshot. But I still won't ever carry a handgun because I don't think it is safe. But I also don't think that the government should make that decision for me.

Chief from the North
05-29-2008, 11:35 PM
If our country contained only rational thinking human beings, then gun control wouldn't be an issue. But the reality is that society has changed. Columbine, Virginia Tech, on and on. Too many loonies floating around nowadays to not have serious gun control. My friend and I got in to this argument the other day.

The argument revolved around Marvin Harrison. Harrison is going to be drug through the cleaners all year because of his shooting incident. And he could end up in prison. He could literally lose everything. For what? So he could save his reptutation. So someone doesn't steal his $5,000 gold chain.

Meanwhile, one week later Rashard Mendenhall is held up at gunpoint. Mendenhall was not carrying a gun. Nobody was shot. Mendenhall was robbed of some petty jewelry, and off he went. Now he still has a full NFL career ahead of him and the opportunity to make millions. Had he pulled a gun in retaliation, his life would look drastically differently. He might be dead. This whole argument started as part of the fatlock thread somewhere in these forums.

I am of the opinion that everyone should be innocent until proven guilty. Clean record, benefit of doubt. Crminal record, slingshot. But I still won't ever carry a handgun because I don't think it is safe. But I also don't think that the government should make that decision for me.

Well said. I suppose the "chicken and egg" argument could be made though? Did Columbine and VA Tech result from a culture obsessed with guns, or did the gun culture come as a result of incidents like Columbine?

I definately agree that the government should not make the decision for people. But conversations like this at the very least make people think about something they all to often take for granted. Good thread.

tammietailgator
05-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Well said. I suppose the "chicken and egg" argument could be made though? Did Columbine and VA Tech result from a culture obsessed with guns, or did the gun culture come as a result of incidents like Columbine?

I definately agree that the government should not make the decision for people. But conversations like this at the very least make people think about something they all to often take for granted. Good thread. Great point!!!

I have to interject... I don't think that any the obsession with guns resulted in Columbine or VA Tech - that was just the result of a world more wrapped up in themselves to either parent or just to treat each other with respect and dignity. We live in a society that cares only about themselves - guns were the weapon of choice in both cases. I dont know if gun control would have stopped this... I dont think so. But we need to look at the big picture and start changing that!

tornadospotter
05-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Great point!!!

I have to interject... I don't think that any the obsession with guns resulted in Columbine or VA Tech - that was just the result of a world more wrapped up in themselves to either parent or just to treat each other with respect and dignity. We live in a society that cares only about themselves - guns were the weapon of choice in both cases. I dont know if gun control would have stopped this... I dont think so. But we need to look at the big picture and start changing that!
YES!!!!

rbedgood
05-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Great point!!!

Well said...rep added!

Chiefster
05-30-2008, 05:57 PM

Absolutely agree, and good point.

The problem I have with gun control laws is that they do very little to take guns out of the hands of criminals which is where the true problem lies, IMO. If they're the kind of person who has determined within themselves to commit violent crime using a firearm, then they're the kind of person that isn't going to concern themselves with obtaining that firearm legally in the first place.

I'm not saying to do away with gun control, just pointing out that I'm not sure that it's going to solve this particular problem.

Canada
05-30-2008, 08:00 PM
This got pretty serious. I was just sayin' that i thought it was funny that they give you a gun when you buy a car! I don't personally see that as a smart way of keeping guns out of criminals hands.

spiman
05-30-2008, 09:04 PM
:D No, not going to say it! :D :D :D :D Or I will!:sign0104: :lol: :11: :toast2:

Chiefster
05-30-2008, 10:54 PM
This got pretty serious. I was just sayin' that i thought it was funny that they give you a gun when you buy a car! I don't personally see that as a smart way of keeping guns out of criminals hands.

Good point.

m0ef0e
05-31-2008, 12:53 PM

It turned into a really good thread though.

Canada
05-31-2008, 04:31 PM
It turned into a really good thread though.

Most of my threads do....except for the ones that don't. They suck!! so...how do you guys feel about the death penalty? I think everyone should get it with a new car!! :D

tornadospotter
05-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Most of my threads do....except for the ones that don't. They suck!! so...how do you guys feel about the death penalty? I think everyone should get it with a new car!! :D
Some do!!!:mob:

Canada
05-31-2008, 04:38 PM
Some do!!!:mob:

Oh I know!! :D

hermhater
05-31-2008, 04:40 PM

:lol:

Chiefster
05-31-2008, 04:48 PM

We've come up in the world; it used to be just toasters.