PDA

View Full Version : optimism...

texaschief
05-28-2008, 03:58 AM
There sure is a lot of it at Warpaint these days. :lol:

Homeboy Athan seems to really like some of our new guys. While i'm sure Warpaint would be on here *****ing if i copied their article here, I just think this guy should put down the red colored lenses for a while.

http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=2&c=756874

I CAN tell you that his assessment of Charles and Lokey are pretty accurate though. Having watched those guys that past few years here in Texas, i was shocked we were able to get them where we did... especially Lokey. I have no doubt that Lokey will be in the rotation on our D-line.

He seems to know that Robinson is THE GUY at PR and guesses that McDuffie is the future at LG. I for one would be shocked. He likes Dingle and again, compares Johnston to Allen.

I've gotta tell ya, if a 7th rounder starts at DE this season, I think our D-line is in worse shape than i previously expected. I just can't see 31 teams passing on this guy 7 times before the Chiefs were able to swoop in and pick him up if he were all that special.

I honestly can't see us picking up a Jared Allen type player in the 7th round the year we trade Allen away. Things like that just don't happen at Arrowhead.

Guru
05-28-2008, 04:01 AM

This is not new. :D

texaschief
05-28-2008, 04:19 AM
in another OTA post:

http://kan.scout.com/2/757819.html

He says Albert is NFL ready because he stopped Hali from lowering his shoulder and getting to the QB.... I could be wrong here because i genuinely don't know.... are these guys even wearing pads yet? Every picture i've seen of OTA's are of guys WITHOUT pads.

Anyhoo.... Athan seems to think (like me) that Surtain won't be a starting CB this season. He says that Patterson has been starting opposite Flowers during practice and says that if Carr can perform with pads the way he's been doing without pads, that the Chiefs could be starting a pair of rookies at CB....not that Patterson would necessarily be a veteran mind you.

Athan is officially the driver of the Johnston bandwagon... stating that he "blew by Herb Taylor" but "never went against Albert." (why not?) If Hali can go against Albert, why can't Johnston?

He also thinks that Connor Barth's leg strength is what will ultimately win him the job over Novak and Cundiff.

I just don't know how this guy could possibly think he can judge these players' talents with the pads off. This kind of crap makes me laugh.

There are only a few positions, such as kicker/punter and MAYBE skill positions like DBs and WRs where you can actually see what you're getting when the pads are off. Everyone else is just out there playing patty cake right now.

I want to see how these guards and tackles play when they're getting driven and run the Fu#$ over. I've read from several sources, not just Athan, that Dorsey is dominating Waters and Jones inside....WTF ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT?!!! How can you judge that without pads?

....sorry, this just bothers me.

AkChief49
05-28-2008, 06:49 AM

Homeboy Athan seems to really like some of our new guys. While i'm sure Warpaint would be on here *****ing if i copied their article here, I just think this guy should put down the red colored lenses for a while.

http://kan.scout.com/a.z?s=115&p=2&c=756874

I CAN tell you that his assessment of Charles and Lokey are pretty accurate though. Having watched those guys that past few years here in Texas, i was shocked we were able to get them where we did... especially Lokey. I have no doubt that Lokey will be in the rotation on our D-line.

He seems to know that Robinson is THE GUY at PR and guesses that McDuffie is the future at LG. I for one would be shocked. He likes Dingle and again, compares Johnston to Allen.

I've gotta tell ya, if a 7th rounder starts at DE this season, I think our D-line is in worse shape than i previously expected. I just can't see 31 teams passing on this guy 7 times before the Chiefs were able to swoop in and pick him up if he were all that special.

I honestly can't see us picking up a Jared Allen type player in the 7th round the year we trade Allen away. Things like that just don't happen at Arrowhead.sometimes though you can find a gem, even in the 7th round......
Some numbers for all you numbers people who keep forgetting about the guy we drafted at DE, Brian Johnston.
40y Dash
-Adams, Gaines 4.64 (1st DE taken in 07)
-Gholston 4.65c/4.58p (2nd DE taken in 08)
-BRIAN JOHNSTON 4.66
(4th best DEs in 08, best for linemen above 260lbs)
-Williams, Mario 4.7 (1st DE and first overall in 06)
-Long,C 4.75 (1st De taken in 08)
Jared Allen 4.81 (that one guy)
-Harvey 4.84 (3rd DE taken in 08)
10y Dash
-BRIAN JOHNSTON 1.51
-McFadden 1.51
-Long,C 1.53
-Peterson, Adrian 1.53
-Gholston 1.53
-Mendenhall 1.53
-Adams, Gaines 1.58
-Harvey 1.59
-Williams, Mario 1.60
Jared Allen 1.72
Vert Jump
-Williams, Mario 40.5
-Gholston 35.5
-BRIAN JOHNSTON 35
(Second best for DL in 08, best for his size)
-Adams, Gaines 35
-Long,C 34
Jared Allen 33
-Harvey 28
20y shuttle
-BRIAN JOHNSTON 4.18
(most impressive stat, better than any RB, tying Mendenhall)
-Mendenhall, 4.18
-Long,C 4.21
-Harvey 4.36
-Adams, Gaines 4.36
-Williams, Mario 4.37
Jared Allen 4.46
-Gholston 4.40
-Peterson, Adrian 4.40
-Campbell,C 4.63
3 cone
-BRIAN JOHNSTON 6.96
-Long,C 7.02
-Peterson, Adrian 7.09
-Gholston 7.12
Jared Allen 7.15
-Adams, Gaines 7.17
-Campbell,C 7.19
-Williams, Mario 7.21
-Harvey 7.27
All those agility and speed tests are even more stunning when you take into account his being 6'5 274 lbs.
Johnston has fought almost constant double teams, which is why his 6 sacks don’t look that impressive, but he has proven to be very solid against the run, despite being double teamed, his 74 tackles, 20.5 being for a loss, prove that he can fight through multiple blockers and get to the ball carrier. Very good at using his hands, strong and quick, Johnston plays the game with a non-stop motor. He will have to increase his repertoire of pass rushing moves and continue to train to get stronger and quicker in the NFL. By Odendin @Arrowhead Pride
Glass half full? or half empty?:toast2:

AkChief49
05-28-2008, 06:58 AM
I realize the guy(Johnston) has not played a down in the NFL...he is not proven, maybe he'll suck, I do not know. But you got to admit, he looks good as far the tangibles!

Chiefster
05-28-2008, 08:37 AM
They are the rah, rah boys there. :D

Chiefster
05-28-2008, 08:38 AM
This is not new. :D

Nope, and at least once every four or five years they're right. :lol:

Canada
05-28-2008, 09:15 AM
They are the rah, rah boys there. :D

Sounds like a good place to talk about the Chief if you don't want to hear them getting bashed here anymore!! :bananen_smilies046:

DrunkHillbilly
05-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Sounds like a good place to talk about the Chief if you don't want to hear them getting bashed here anymore!! :bananen_smilies046:
You should probably log on over there, seem to be more your type!! Or on the payroll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canada
05-28-2008, 12:39 PM
You should probably log on over there, seem to be more your type!! Or on the payroll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got to quite a few different boards and believe it or not I have actually heard some positive things about the Chiefs. From people who are not being paid to say it!! Crazy ....they must not know anything about football either!! :D

DrunkHillbilly
05-28-2008, 12:53 PM
I got to quite a few different boards and believe it or not I have actually heard some positive things about the Chiefs. From people who are not being paid to say it!! Crazy ....they must not know anything about football either!! :D
Probably the same people that were predicting the playoffs last year!!! Hmmm, sounds like somone else I know!!!:D :lol:

texaschief
05-28-2008, 02:04 PM
sometimes though you can find a gem, even in the 7th round......
Some numbers for all you numbers people who keep forgetting about the guy we drafted at DE, Brian Johnston.
40y Dash
-Adams, Gaines 4.64 (1st DE taken in 07)
-Gholston 4.65c/4.58p (2nd DE taken in 08)
-BRIAN JOHNSTON 4.66
(4th best DEs in 08, best for linemen above 260lbs)
-Williams, Mario 4.7 (1st DE and first overall in 06)
-Long,C 4.75 (1st De taken in 08)
Jared Allen 4.81 (that one guy)
-Harvey 4.84 (3rd DE taken in 08)
10y Dash
-BRIAN JOHNSTON 1.51
-McFadden 1.51
-Long,C 1.53
-Peterson, Adrian 1.53
-Gholston 1.53
-Mendenhall 1.53
-Adams, Gaines 1.58
-Harvey 1.59
-Williams, Mario 1.60
Jared Allen 1.72
Vert Jump
-Williams, Mario 40.5
-Gholston 35.5
-BRIAN JOHNSTON 35
(Second best for DL in 08, best for his size)
-Adams, Gaines 35
-Long,C 34
Jared Allen 33
-Harvey 28
20y shuttle
-BRIAN JOHNSTON 4.18
(most impressive stat, better than any RB, tying Mendenhall)
-Mendenhall, 4.18
-Long,C 4.21
-Harvey 4.36
-Adams, Gaines 4.36
-Williams, Mario 4.37
Jared Allen 4.46
-Gholston 4.40
-Peterson, Adrian 4.40
-Campbell,C 4.63
3 cone
-BRIAN JOHNSTON 6.96
-Long,C 7.02
-Peterson, Adrian 7.09
-Gholston 7.12
Jared Allen 7.15
-Adams, Gaines 7.17
-Campbell,C 7.19
-Williams, Mario 7.21
-Harvey 7.27
All those agility and speed tests are even more stunning when you take into account his being 6'5 274 lbs.
Johnston has fought almost constant double teams, which is why his 6 sacks don’t look that impressive, but he has proven to be very solid against the run, despite being double teamed, his 74 tackles, 20.5 being for a loss, prove that he can fight through multiple blockers and get to the ball carrier. Very good at using his hands, strong and quick, Johnston plays the game with a non-stop motor. He will have to increase his repertoire of pass rushing moves and continue to train to get stronger and quicker in the NFL. By Odendin @Arrowhead Pride
Glass half full? or half empty?:toast2:

You are absolutely right. His "measurables" are incredible. I just can't grasp why we was passed on by so many teams. Surely the Chiefs weren't the only team who knew about this guy. DE's are a premium position in the NFL and getting a guy who has these kinds of numbers at THAT position in the 7th round seems slanted. There has to be something there we aren't seeing.

While i think these past 3 years are the best the Chiefs have done in the draft in perhaps the last 15 or 20 years along with their undrafted free agents, I just can't see the Chiefs' scouts being THAT much better than the rest of the league to find this guy that no one else has heard about.

....but i could be wrong... It has happened before. :lol:

Three7s
05-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Well, for starters, he went to a very small college, and because of that, along with what AKChief mentioned, wasn't invited to the Combine.

Chiefster
05-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Well, for starters, he went to a very small college, and because of that, along with what AKChief mentioned, wasn't invited to the Combine.

Yep, it's not what ya know; it's who ya know.

AkChief49
05-28-2008, 10:57 PM
You are absolutely right. His "measurables" are incredible. I just can't grasp why we was passed on by so many teams. Surely the Chiefs weren't the only team who knew about this guy. DE's are a premium position in the NFL and getting a guy who has these kinds of numbers at THAT position in the 7th round seems slanted. There has to be something there we aren't seeing.

While i think these past 3 years are the best the Chiefs have done in the draft in perhaps the last 15 or 20 years along with their undrafted free agents, I just can't see the Chiefs' scouts being THAT much better than the rest of the league to find this guy that no one else has heard about.

....but i could be wrong... It has happened before. :lol:point taken

Chiefster
05-28-2008, 11:00 PM
point taken

...Where?! Where'd you take it? I really wanna know! :D

Coach
05-28-2008, 11:34 PM
I realize the guy(Johnston) has not played a down in the NFL...he is not proven, maybe he'll suck, I do not know. But you got to admit, he looks good as far the tangibles!

Looks great on paper. If the Chiefs could pull a player or two out of the woodwork like this it could make a HUGE difference. Time will tell.

Canada
05-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Probably the same people that were predicting the playoffs last year!!! Hmmm, sounds like somone else I know!!!:D :lol:

Almost like I said the last two years we would make the playoffs and the last two years you said we wouldn't. Seems about 50/50 to me smart guy!! :bananen_smilies046:

DrunkHillbilly
05-28-2008, 11:59 PM
Almost like I said the last two years we would make the playoffs and the last two years you said we wouldn't. Seems about 50/50 to me smart guy!! :bananen_smilies046:
There you go with the I told ya so's!!!!! Oh yea...smart guy!!!!

Canada
05-29-2008, 09:07 AM
There you go with the I told ya so's!!!!! Oh yea...smart guy!!!!

I never said I had a problem with optimistic people saying Told Ya so!! :bananen_smilies046:

DrunkHillbilly
05-29-2008, 12:34 PM
I never said I had a problem with optimistic people saying Told Ya so!! :bananen_smilies046:
Well in that case.....I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!:bananen_smilies046:

Canada
05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
Well in that case.....I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!:bananen_smilies046:

Are we back to this again? You....optimistic!! :lol:

Chiefster
05-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Are we back to this again? You....optimistic!! :lol:

If by optimistic you mean always looking on the dark, gloomy side of things...:lol:

DrunkHillbilly
05-30-2008, 03:03 AM
If by optimistic you mean always looking on the dark, gloomy side of things...:lol:
Enough about the Chiefs season already!!!!!!!!:lol:

chief31
05-30-2008, 05:54 AM
O.K. boys!!! You heard the man! Go ahead and shut 'er down! No more Chiefs season talk. :lol:

Just ribbin'.

Chiefster
05-30-2008, 06:07 PM

O.K. boys!!! You heard the man! Go ahead and shut 'er down! No more Chiefs season talk. :lol:

Just ribbin'.

Ok, pulling the plug in 5,4,3...5,4,3....

Math figurin was never my thing. :11:

m0ef0e
05-31-2008, 01:00 PM

Danged numericals and their fancy addification....

greg3564
05-31-2008, 04:00 PM

Addification....sounds like something George Bush would say. :lol:

Canada
05-31-2008, 04:21 PM

that is cause when you learned to count it was I, II, III, IV, V, VI...:D

Chiefster
05-31-2008, 04:27 PM

Exactimentally! We don't need no fancy mathmatically equationation.

There ya go with more of that new modernation arithmatical deciferin! :11:

tornadospotter
05-31-2008, 04:30 PM
Very true, but those dang stone school books are to heavy to bring out of storage to review!!:11: :D

Canada
05-31-2008, 04:33 PM
Very true, but those dang stone school books are to heavy to bring out of storage to review!!:11: :D

the first words Chiefster ever wrote!!
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/05/141.jpg

Pro_Angler
06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Johnston... I hope this kid fits the bill...

CHIEFCANNON
06-04-2008, 08:10 AM
Optimism, is gonna be 4 more wins than last year... and 8-8 would be a plus. With all of the new talent? in some cases.... there will be the learning curve and the mistakes that go with the pain of being a rookie.

We still have Hermie .. to manage playing to win the game... so bafoonery with clock and play calling should be "OK!" Realistically, If Herman has a brain, let Chan Gailey make the calls and be a good HC and "Get Back Coach" at the same time.

Glenn Dorsey will be a difference maker.... gone are the agony of cry babies like Sims and Siavii who summarily disappointed every Chief fan and coach who said they can play...
except for Sims Daddy.:sign0153:

I'm looking forward to see what happens... and it will.. with Tank and Dorsey side by side... scary.:yahoo:
Though I don't exactly like LJ.... be that as it may... I will enjoy watching him run with somebody who can block in front of him with Mr. Albert at Road Grader. It's too bad he didn't hook up with Beyonce' he could have been in the HOF.

chief31
06-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Optimism, is gonna be 4 more wins than last year... and 8-8 would be a plus. With all of the new talent? in some cases.... there will be the learning curve and the mistakes that go with the pain of being a rookie.

We still have Hermie .. to manage playing to win the game... so bafoonery with clock and play calling should be "OK!" Realistically, If Herman has a brain, let Chan Gailey make the calls and be a good HC and "Get Back Coach" at the same time.

Glenn Dorsey will be a difference maker.... gone are the agony of cry babies like Sims and Siavii who summarily disappointed every Chief fan and coach who said they can play...

I'm looking forward to see what happens... and it will.. with Tank and Dorsey side by side... scary.:yahoo:
Though I don't exactly like LJ.... be that as it may... I will enjoy watching him run with somebody who can block in front of him with Mr. Albert at Road Grader. It's too bad he didn't hook up with Beyonce' he could have been in the HOF.

Very nice. But that is alot more optimistic than I feel right now.

:sign0098:

texaschief
06-05-2008, 03:18 AM
Very nice. But that is alot more optimistic than I feel right now.

:sign0098:

there's a shocker :lol:

hermhater
06-05-2008, 03:38 AM
the first words Chiefster ever wrote!!
http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/images/imported/2008/05/141.jpg

/snicker

milkman
06-07-2008, 12:58 PM
in another OTA post:

http://kan.scout.com/2/757819.html

He says Albert is NFL ready because he stopped Hali from lowering his shoulder and getting to the QB.... I could be wrong here because i genuinely don't know.... are these guys even wearing pads yet? Every picture i've seen of OTA's are of guys WITHOUT pads.

Anyhoo.... Athan seems to think (like me) that Surtain won't be a starting CB this season. He says that Patterson has been starting opposite Flowers during practice and says that if Carr can perform with pads the way he's been doing without pads, that the Chiefs could be starting a pair of rookies at CB....not that Patterson would necessarily be a veteran mind you.

Athan is officially the driver of the Johnston bandwagon... stating that he "blew by Herb Taylor" but "never went against Albert." (why not?) If Hali can go against Albert, why can't Johnston?

He also thinks that Connor Barth's leg strength is what will ultimately win him the job over Novak and Cundiff.

I just don't know how this guy could possibly think he can judge these players' talents with the pads off. This kind of crap makes me laugh.

There are only a few positions, such as kicker/punter and MAYBE skill positions like DBs and WRs where you can actually see what you're getting when the pads are off. Everyone else is just out there playing patty cake right now.

I want to see how these guards and tackles play when they're getting driven and run the Fu#$ over. I've read from several sources, not just Athan, that Dorsey is dominating Waters and Jones inside....WTF ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT?!!! How can you judge that without pads?

....sorry, this just bothers me.

First, let me tell ya, I bought a new computer, and couldn't find my way back here.

Couldn't remember the name of this place, and only now found it out when I checked my junk E-mail and started clening it up.

Now, onto the subject at hand, I don'y know how you can begin to judge the inteior line play in shorts, but on the outside, you can watch how a tackle moves his feet and reacts to a DEs moves to kind of get a feel for what he might be capable of.

And Albert is extremely quick and graceful on his feet, and when you consider he had the longest arms of any O-Lineman in this draft next to Clady, you can really get a feel for his ability, even in shorts.

Bob Bicknell said it best when he said that he saw Albert as a tackle who was plaing guard in college.

Coach
06-08-2008, 09:51 PM
First, let me tell ya, I bought a new computer, and couldn't find my way back here.

Couldn't remember the name of this place, and only now found it out when I checked my junk E-mail and started clening it up.

Now, onto the subject at hand, I don'y know how you can begin to judge the inteior line play in shorts, but on the outside, you can watch how a tackle moves his feet and reacts to a DEs moves to kind of get a feel for what he might be capable of.

And Albert is extremely quick and graceful on his feet, and when you consider he had the longest arms of any O-Lineman in this draft next to Clady, you can really get a feel for his ability, even in shorts.

Bob Bicknell said it best when he said that he saw Albert as a tackle who was plaing guard in college.

welcome back milkman!

Chiefster
06-09-2008, 12:17 AM

Excellent point.

Good tom see ya again milkman! :bananen_smilies046:

Chiefster
06-09-2008, 12:18 AM

Couldn't agree more, however, I really wish we had a different head coach.

Rep!

Seek
06-17-2008, 01:00 PM

So did Jimmy Wilkerson. He was supposed to be a steal. Then there was also Monte Biesel.

Until anyone puts on pads and plays against other players than Chiefs. There is no reason to believe they are anything more than what they are expected to be.

That being said, some of our best draft picks game in day two. Look at Jared Page.