PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp

Canada
06-01-2008, 07:53 AM
Does anyone know the date that we scrimmage with the Viqueens?

tornadospotter
06-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I belive it is July 31.

Canada
06-01-2008, 09:41 AM
:bananen_smilies046:
I belive it is July 31.

Thanks man!!! :bananen_smilies046: ....jerk!! :D

SomewhereoverDwayneBowe
06-01-2008, 12:17 PM
I guess everyone is aware of the UWRF website that covers the Chiefs training camp. It's pretty cool. Daily updates, pictures, interviews. It even gives the players daily menu. Also if you plan on going. It has several links for lodging, bars, restaraunts etc. I just assume everyone knows about this. But if you don't, I can post the link.

DMN
06-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Double post.

Impressive DMN!

Wait..... does that mean I double post?

tornadospotter
06-02-2008, 04:26 PM
NO!:sign0104: :beer:

hermhater
06-03-2008, 12:53 PM

My bad, it was somwhereoverdwaynebowe...

YZILLA
06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
I guess everyone is aware of the UWRF website that covers the Chiefs training camp. It's pretty cool. Daily updates, pictures, interviews. It even gives the players daily menu. Also if you plan on going. It has several links for lodging, bars, restaraunts etc. I just assume everyone knows about this. But if you don't, I can post the link.

Please Post a link !

Coach
06-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Please Post a link !

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/

Chiefster
06-03-2008, 07:41 PM
http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/

The link has been posted!

Thanks Coach! :sign0098:

SomewhereoverDwayneBowe
06-04-2008, 10:50 PM
The link has been posted!

Thanks Coach! :sign0098:
Sorry. I should have posted the link in the original post. You must remember that the updates are written by college journalism majors. Not exactly gridiron veterans. But they do a decent Job. They update it twice a day. And they use alot of on the field quotes. So it's open for interpetation. The pics are great.

tornadospotter
06-04-2008, 11:00 PM
I took my family for family nite at training camp last year, I had a blast, kids did to, wife, she liked the fact that we did something as a family! The drive home we followed the Mississippi River valley for while, what a beautiful drive that was!

hermhater
06-05-2008, 03:52 AM
My first day of vacation that I take from work will be September 14th.

I sure wish I could take time off to hit Jared's new home though.

tornadospotter
06-05-2008, 06:13 AM
My first day of vacation that I take from work will be September 14th.

I sure wish I could take time off to hit Jared's new home though.
Jared who? :D

jerhart
06-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Jared who? :D

bleh....reminded of him almost everyday... :drunkhb: :drunkhb: :drunkhb: :drunkhb: :drunkhb:

leaves
06-05-2008, 07:45 PM
pretty awesome to make drama w/allen, then have to practice with him shortly after.

Chiefster
06-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Heh!

OTR Chiefs fan
06-14-2008, 11:42 AM
pretty awesome to make drama w/allen, then have to practice with him shortly after.

Don't be surprised if Allen tries to show up the Chiefs O-line! :D

Coach
06-14-2008, 11:07 PM
Don't be surprised if Allen tries to show up the Chiefs O-line! :D

Don't be surprised if he can't show up our line. I'm sure the Chiefs will try to cover their bases to justify letting him get away by throwing some extra protection his way.

milkman
06-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Don't be surprised if he can't show up our line. I'm sure the Chiefs will try to cover their bases to justify letting him get away by throwing some extra protection his way.

You know, I don't really think the Chiefs will try to cover their asses.

Their goal will be to grow and improve, and they might just want to let Albert, if he's in camp on time, work one on one against Allen, and I, for one, will not be the least bit surprised to hear that Albert wins that battle overall.

I believe Albert is that good.

OTR Chiefs fan
06-15-2008, 11:44 AM

You know, I don't really think the Chiefs will try to cover their asses.

Their goal will be to grow and improve, and they might just want to let Albert, if he's in camp on time, work one on one against Allen, and I, for one, will not be the least bit surprised to hear that Albert wins that battle overall.

I believe Albert is that good.

Trying to cover their butts and actually doing it can be two different things. We've all seen how good Allen is and even though I agree that Albert is that good, he's still a rookie. I think Allen will show him some moves that he's never seen before and give him a taste of what it's like to play in the pros. :D

milkman
06-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Trying to cover their butts and actually doing it can be two different things. We've all seen how good Allen is and even though I agree that Albert is that good, he's still a rookie. I think Allen will show him some moves that he's never seen before and give him a taste of what it's like to play in the pros. :D

That is the best way to learn.

Put him out there one on one with a guy who knows how to get after the QB.

No doubt Allen will start out the day by schooling him, but Albert is smart, so he'll learn, and by the end of the sessions he'll be winning the battles.

chief31
06-17-2008, 05:42 AM
That is the best way to learn.

Put him out there one on one with a guy who knows how to get after the QB.

No doubt Allen will start out the day by schooling him, but Albert is smart, so he'll learn, and by the end of the sessions he'll be winning the battles.

Dude. Seriously. Allen is gonna drive him nuts. We are talking about a guy who has played two games, in college, at OT, against one of the elite DEs in the NFL today. What you are suggesting is really not very short of a genuine, "Hand Of God", miracle.:D

But then, it is only going to be limited practicing.

Seek
06-17-2008, 01:09 PM

I was just thinking that same thing. Don't be surprised to see an article about how well Albert is able to handle JA to make his draft look even better and hope to silence any doubt about him playing LT.

Just like Warfield was supposedly shutting down Randy Moss after we cut Donnie Edwards and resigned Warfield.

milkman
06-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Dude. Seriously. Allen is gonna drive him nuts. We are talking about a guy who has played two games, in college, at OT, against one of the elite DEs in the NFL today. What you are suggesting is really not very short of a genuine, "Hand Of God", miracle.:D

But then, it is only going to be limited practicing.

Allen relies a combination of speed and strength to rush the QB.

He really only has about 2 "moves".

If it were Jason Taylor or Michael Strahan, then I think Albert would be really getting schooled.

tornadospotter
06-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Bleep! Jared Allen! He is not a Chief anymore!! So I hope he get his *** beat, all season!!!

Canada
06-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Bleep! Jared Allen! He is not a Chief anymore!! So I hope he get his *** beat, all season!!!

You are such a wonderful person!! :D :bananen_smilies046:

tornadospotter
06-18-2008, 12:17 PM
You are such a wonderful person!! :D :bananen_smilies046:
Why thank you wonderful person!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

milkman
06-18-2008, 12:42 PM

In the big picture of things, I agree with that sentiment.

However, he'll be as big a help to Albert in those two(?) days of scrimmage as Hali will be throughout TC.

I hope I'm wrong about Hali, but I think moving him to RDE is a huge mistake.

He's going to get owned by the superior blockers that man the LT position for most of the better teams.

Seek
06-18-2008, 12:54 PM

However, he'll be as big a help to Albert in those two(?) days of scrimmage as Hali will be throughout TC.

He's going to get owned by the superior blockers that man the LT position for most of the better teams.

Who else are you going to play at RDE? There is no one else with the speed and strength to fill that roll. Hopefully Dorsey will command the double team to allow Hali to just beat the LT. Jared was doing it against double teams.

I am not to thrilled about Boone being moved to DE.

tornadospotter
06-18-2008, 01:18 PM

I think and hope that Hali is going to surprise the league this year!

milkman
06-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Who else are you going to play at RDE? There is no one else with the speed and strength to fill that roll. Hopefully Dorsey will command the double team to allow Hali to just beat the LT. Jared was doing it against double teams.

I am not to thrilled about Boone being moved to DE.

I'd just as soon have left Hali at LDE, where he's effective, and put Turk at RDE until we can get a player to fill that hole in the next draft.

milkman
06-18-2008, 01:32 PM

I hope you're right, but I'm not confident.

Hali's strength is his first step off the snap.

Against quicker, more athletic LTs he'll struggle because he doesn't have the speed to get around the edge or the athleticism and quickness to beat them with moves.

tornadospotter
06-18-2008, 01:41 PM
I hope you're right, but I'm not confident.

Hali's strength is his first step off the snap.

Against quicker, more athletic LTs he'll struggle because he doesn't have the speed to get around the edge or the athleticism and quickness to beat them with moves.
But with Dorsey on the other side who knows? Correct me if I am wrong on which side Dorsey is playing!

tornadospotter
06-18-2008, 01:45 PM
All of this is speculation, damm I wish the season was here! I am ready for some CHIEFS FOOTBALL!!! GO CHIEFS!!!!!!!!

Seek
06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
I'd just as soon have left Hali at LDE, where he's effective, and put Turk at RDE until we can get a player to fill that hole in the next draft.

It hink Tamba is better suited to play RDE. Tamba's strengths was his continuous effort combined with his speed. Much like Jared Allen. You want your faster DE lined up against the faster LT.

I think Turk is better suited to play the LDE, which is usually your bigger bull rushing guys who try to physically beat the RT.

milkman
06-18-2008, 03:04 PM
But with Dorsey on the other side who knows? Correct me if I am wrong on which side Dorsey is playing!

Unless I'm misreading reports, Dorsey has been lining up next to Hali.

He'll (Dorsey) command double teams, but Hali will still be going agianst the opposition's best O-Linemen.

milkman
06-18-2008, 03:06 PM
It hink Tamba is better suited to play RDE. Tamba's strengths was his continuous effort combined with his speed. Much like Jared Allen. You want your faster DE lined up against the faster LT.

I think Turk is better suited to play the LDE, which is usually your bigger bull rushing guys who try to physically beat the RT.

The problem is that Hali isn't fast.
He might actually best be described as plodding, though I admit that's a bit of an embellishment.

His strength is is quickness off the snap.

But that quickness will be negated by the quicker, more athletic LTs he'll be facing.

Seek
06-18-2008, 03:30 PM
He might actually best be described as plodding, though I admit that's a bit of an embellishment.

But that quickness will be negated by the quicker, more athletic LTs he'll be facing.

I think Halis is that fast. I can't tell you how many times I saw him make a play at the line of scrimage when they ran away from him. He closed down that line to make a tackle from behind for a loss.

The problems you will see is when they run right at him, but even Jared had problems with that. That is where Donnie Edwards comes in.

tornadospotter
06-18-2008, 03:49 PM

where is it said that Hali is not fast! How far does he need to run! If he is quick with strength! What more do you want!

milkman
06-18-2008, 03:58 PM
where is it said that Hali is not fast! How far does he need to run! If he is quick with strength! What more do you want!

His slow 40 time is one of the reasons he fell from the top of the draft a couple of years ago into the Chiefs spot at 20.

I want speed to get around the edges.

Without that speed, he doesn't have enough of any other quality to succeed.

Seek
06-18-2008, 04:29 PM
His slow 40 time is one of the reasons he fell from the top of the draft a couple of years ago into the Chiefs spot at 20.

When running a 40 I am also slow but put me on a racquetball court and I am very fast, specially for my size.

milkman
06-18-2008, 04:57 PM
When running a 40 I am also slow but put me on a racquetball court and I am very fast, specially for my size.

Until i see him display speed getting around the edge, I have to go by his 40 time, and what I've seen so far.

He's a high effort guy, but I haven't seen speed.

Seek
06-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Until i see him display speed getting around the edge, I have to go by his 40 time, and what I've seen so far.

You need to go watch some tape. He is extermely quick breaking down the line to stop running plays.

milkman
06-18-2008, 05:10 PM
You need to go watch some tape. He is extermely quick breaking down the line to stop running plays.

You misunderstand.

He has quickness,

He lacks speed.

Two different things.

tornadospotter
06-18-2008, 06:21 PM

What? That is called quickness! I ask again how far does he really need to run that calls for speed! Yes he will be a different type of passrusher! He is not running 40 yards everyplay, if he is, we are screwed anyway!

milkman
06-18-2008, 07:17 PM
What? That is called quickness! I ask again how far does he really need to run that calls for speed! Yes he will be a different type of passrusher! He is not running 40 yards everyplay, if he is, we are screwed anyway!

No, it's not called quickness.
To get around the edge, you need a burst of speed.

That's straight line speed.

You need to be fast enough to get up the field and around the LT's outside shoulder.

Hali doesn't have that kind of speed. and without it, his quickness, which is the ability to move your feet fluidly and make moves is negated.

tornadospotter
06-18-2008, 07:23 PM
No, it's not called quickness.
To get around the edge, you need a burst of speed.

That's straight line speed.

You need to be fast enough to get up the field and around the LT's outside shoulder.

Hali doesn't have that kind of speed. and without it, his quickness, which is the ability to move your feet fluidly and make moves is negated.
Ok I am no expert, so I will not argue. But I think he will surprise some people at that position. If that will be his position. There is a DE rookie that may be in the mix to!

milkman
06-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Ok I am no expert, so I will not argue. But I think he will surprise some people at that position. If that will be his position. There is a DE rookie that may be in the mix to!

Bryant Johnston?
Johnny Dingle?

Coach
06-18-2008, 07:58 PM

I'm hoping the same. I don't think the Chiefs needs Hali to get 16 sacks this year. They just need him to get pressure on the QB. With Dorsey lined up next to him, Hali should see plenty of single coverage. I think he has the strength, speed, and quickness to put pressure on many of the QB's we will face. The Chiefs aren't the only team in the NFL that doesn't have an all-star LT.

Chiefster
06-18-2008, 08:16 PM
You misunderstand.

He has quickness,

He lacks speed.

Two different things.

Good point, I'm hoping that one will help him overcome the other, although should he go up against an elusive type QB he could have problems.

I'm hoping the same. I don't think the Chiefs needs Hali to get 16 sacks this year. They just need him to get pressure on the QB. With Dorsey lined up next to him, Hali should see plenty of single coverage. I think he has the strength, speed, and quickness to put pressure on many of the QB's we will face. The Chiefs aren't the only team in the NFL that doesn't have an all-star LT.

Agreed.

rbedgood
06-18-2008, 11:41 PM

For a DE the shuttle time has much more application to performance than the 40. The only time he'll run a 40 is if he doesn't read a screen and Donnie Edwards misses the tackle...otherwise he should be running 4-7 yards per play.

milkman
06-19-2008, 07:42 PM
For a DE the shuttle time has much more application to performance than the 40. The only time he'll run a 40 is if he doesn't read a screen and Donnie Edwards misses the tackle...otherwise he should be running 4-7 yards per play.

True, but a shuttle time is a measure of both quickness and speed, and Hali has some quicks, but he's a slow.

Unless my memory is failing me, which is entirely possible, his shuttle time was nothing to write home about.

Seek
06-20-2008, 09:22 AM

Is that really why he fell? I thought it was because he only played football for a couple year and really didn't produce big time numbers in college, but was seen as a extremely raw but talented player.

I thought when we drafted him, everyone thought we reached. If he truly fell because of speed, many would have thought we got a steal.

rbedgood
06-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Okay guys, not to muck up the mess, but he was a good college DE at Penn State, had plenty of sacks, as well he as a top prospect coming out of high school. Just to add another "theory" but I thought that he was considered "undersized" for defensive end and that was why people thought he would drop, not that he was slow, or didn't have a record of success?!

Please correct me if I'm wrong...I don't pretend to be a Chief's expert...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (j/k on the dumpy Holiday Inn, but those are great commercials)

chief31
06-21-2008, 03:31 AM
Hali played alot of DT in college. But the knock on him was that he didn't have the size to play DT in the NFL, and also lacked the speed to be an NFL DE.

Similar to the "Turk" McBride situation. Basically, without alot of bulking-up, both project as LDEs with solid run defense capabilities, but less than stellar pass-rushing skills.

Hali has pretty good sack totals for his two seasons, but the majority of his sacks have come when Allen, or someone else, was getting the initial pressure and flushing the QB Halis way.

I did notice that Hali finally made it around the RT to get some pressure a couple of times late last season.

But it is a whole different situation, trying to pass-rush against a teams premier, open field, pass-protector, (LT)than taking on the second best guy (RT).

I have some serious doubts about Halis ability to get pressure from this position.

tornadospotter
06-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Hali played alot of DT in college. But the knock on him was that he didn't have the size to play DT in the NFL, and also lacked the speed to be an NFL DE.

Similar to the "Turk" McBride situation. Basically, without alot of bulking-up, both project as LDEs with solid run defense capabilities, but less than stellar pass-rushing skills.

Hali has pretty good sack totals for his two seasons, but the majority of his sacks have come when Allen, or someone else, was getting the initial pressure and flushing the QB Halis way.

I did notice that Hali finally made it around the RT to get some pressure a couple of times late last season.

But it is a whole different situation, trying to pass-rush against a teams premier, open field, pass-protector, (LT)than taking on the second best guy (RT).

I have some serious doubts about Halis ability to get pressure from this position.
I don't, I think he will be a storm!!! But I am a homer!:sign0153: yep.

Chiefster
06-21-2008, 11:48 AM

One major difference between the NFL and College is that in college you may be going up against people who do not have the skill level to make it in the NFL, so a stellar college career is not exactly and indication of how well one will perform in the NFL.

OTR Chiefs fan
06-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Okay guys, not to muck up the mess, but he was a good college DE at Penn State, had plenty of sacks, as well he as a top prospect coming out of high school. Just to add another "theory" but I thought that he was considered "undersized" for defensive end and that was why people thought he would drop, not that he was slow, or didn't have a record of success?!

Please correct me if I'm wrong...I don't pretend to be a Chief's expert...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (j/k on the dumpy Holiday Inn, but those are great commercials)

One major difference between the NFL and College is that in college you may be going up against people who do not have the skill level to make it in the NFL, so a stellar college career is not exactly and indication of how well one will perform in the NFL.

Both good points. I had also heard that many felt his was undersized to play D-line and that's why he dropped in the draft. And certainly when you look at a player's college stats, you have to consider who he played against to determine how close a player's stats reflects his true talent. :D

Chiefster
06-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Both good points. I had also heard that many felt his was undersized to play D-line and that's why he dropped in the draft. And certainly when you look at a player's college stats, you have to consider who he played against to determine how close a player's stats reflects his true talent. :D

Eggsactly! :sign0098: