PDA

View Full Version : Green vs. Chiefs - Rd 1

stlchief
05-05-2007, 03:27 PM
"In reality, if the Chiefs wanted to be jerks about it, they could drag it all the way until training camp," Green said. "That would hurt no one but me and my family. It would just be a real negative for us in terms of trying to get kids situated, finding a house and finding schools and all the things that families have to do."

(full article here: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-0504dolphinsgreen,0,3004462.story?coll=sfla-sports-front)

I thought it would come to this. With no trade done and Green owed a ton of money, it would come down to who can make who look the worst -- and I believe Trent will lose this battle. Throwing the word "jerk" around is not likely to get you anywhere - Trent obviously didn't take negotiations 101 in college.

He is under contract and nothing in the contract says if we are going to release you will do it at a certain date to make it easy for you and the family.

I imagine next response will be Chiefs stating Trent had already agreed in prinicple to re-structure for the Chiefs prior to the trade talks starting...

I say round one goes to Trent, but I don't think he will win the PR battle with the Chiefs.

Who do you think will win?

chief31
05-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I think that Trent needed to give the Chiefs a few more options. Even one more option, would have raised his trade value. By telling other teams that he was only interested in talking to the Miami Dolphins, he gave the Dolphins leverage.

I hope that we keep him. I'm not concerned with the fact that he doesn't want to be here. The Chiefs "gave him permission" to speak with other teams. Now the Chiefs are "jerks"? We need to get some value, in trade, for him. Otherwise, keep him here.

The Dolphins were JERKS. The only offer that they made, for Trent, was a very late sixth round pick!?!?!?!? Hey Dolphins.....GET BENT!!!!!

Chiefster
05-06-2007, 12:10 AM
I think that Trent needed to give the Chiefs a few more options. Even one more option, would have raised his trade value. By telling other teams that he was only interested in talking to the Miami Dolphins, he gave the Dolphins leverage.

I hope that we keep him. I'm not concerned with the fact that he doesn't want to be here. The Chiefs "gave him permission" to speak with other teams. Now the Chiefs are "jerks"? We need to get some value, in trade, for him. Otherwise, keep him here.

The Dolphins were JERKS. The only offer that they made, for Trent, was a very late sixth round pick!?!?!?!? Hey Dolphins.....GET BENT!!!!!

I agree; that was never an offer that the Chiefs were going to take seriously.

wolfpack
05-07-2007, 09:57 AM
if i was trent, after having my head banged around, i would retire. he seems like he knows how to manage his money he has made so i dont think he`s broke. then go into broadcasting. after the years that i had under a coach that knew what an ofense was, anything under a 4th rnd draft pick wouldbe insulting.

Chiefster
05-07-2007, 07:08 PM
if i was trent, after having my head banged around, i would retire. he seems like he knows how to manage his money he has made so i dont think he`s broke. then go into broadcasting. after the years that i had under a coach that knew what an ofense was, anything under a 4th rnd draft pick wouldbe insulting.

I agree; although I would love to see him as our QB coach.

KcBigChief
05-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Who Cares, Trent Is The Past, Bring Me The Future!!!

YZILLA
05-08-2007, 04:30 AM
I agree that Trent is the past. But For what he has done for this Team ,its a shame that this is all happening. He was a true blue chief . He gave everything to this team and I hope he has a good life whatever happens. I will laugh when the dolphins show up with a crap QB on opening day because Culpepper is not gonna be healthy and could go downagain at anytime. Then where are they? The have nothing for backups. Trent would have saved the Day IMO for the dolphins . Even for only a year or two. Trent should be bummed at the phins for not trying harder to get him . Shows what they really think hes worth. I hope we keep him also.... Screw the Phins! GO CHIEFS !!!

Canada
05-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Trent isn't the past yet. He is presently affecting our team. I still think Trent is a great QB and if he is in a competition for a spot...I think he would beat out Huard and Croyle. I hope he gets what he deserves. I hear everyone talk about lack of player loyalty because guys play for a different team every year, well how about a little bit of loyalty to a great QB who put everything he had into his career in KC and now everyone loves Huard. 5-3...whit LJ carrying the ball all day. I am not sold on Huard and I never will be. I say put Trent out there and let him play like Favre. Forget Herms play calling just let Trent do his thing. It will be a better Offence than Herm and Solari can put out there. (even though he will probably be throwinf to kickers all year long)

Coach
05-09-2007, 12:31 AM
I agree that Trent is the past. But For what he has done for this Team ,its a shame that this is all happening. He was a true blue chief . He gave everything to this team and I hope he has a good life whatever happens. I will laugh when the dolphins show up with a crap QB on opening day because Culpepper is not gonna be healthy and could go downagain at anytime. Then where are they? The have nothing for backups. Trent would have saved the Day IMO for the dolphins . Even for only a year or two. Trent should be bummed at the phins for not trying harder to get him . Shows what they really think hes worth. I hope we keep him also.... Screw the Phins! GO CHIEFS !!!

Amen. The Phins will suck with their current QB situation. They need Trent now more than ever.

Chiefster
05-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Trent isn't the past yet. He is presently affecting our team. I still think Trent is a great QB and if he is in a competition for a spot...I think he would beat out Huard and Croyle. I hope he gets what he deserves. I hear everyone talk about lack of player loyalty because guys play for a different team every year, well how about a little bit of loyalty to a great QB who put everything he had into his career in KC and now everyone loves Huard. 5-3...whit LJ carrying the ball all day. I am not sold on Huard and I never will be. I say put Trent out there and let him play like Favre. Forget Herms play calling just let Trent do his thing. It will be a better Offence than Herm and Solari can put out there. (even though he will probably be throwinf to kickers all year long)

Ditto, and nor I; yet.

chief31
05-09-2007, 02:16 AM
Ditto, and nor I; yet.
Have no doubt, I love Trent Green and respect him, highly. I just don't think he is equipped to play for a team that is incapable of giving him time, in the pocket. Huard, while certainly unproven, did an admirable job, last season, with excrutiatingly little time, in the pocket. A very rae ability. If he were to perform, similarly, this season, he could aid, in masking a sub-par O-line. As for Trent, I would like to see him play somewhere where they have a good O-line, to give him a better chance for success.

Chiefster
05-09-2007, 02:25 AM
Have no doubt, I love Trent Green and respect him, highly. I just don't think he is equipped to play for a team that is incapable of giving him time, in the pocket. Huard, while certainly unproven, did an admirable job, last season, with excrutiatingly little time, in the pocket. A very rae ability. If he were to perform, similarly, this season, he could aid, in masking a sub-par O-line. As for Trent, I would like to see him play somewhere where they have a good O-line, to give him a better chance for success.

Agreed; and lets not forget some of the spectacular catches that also helped Huard look good, and the drops that made Green look not so good.

wolfpack
05-09-2007, 09:55 AM
i think trent could still run our big and bad offense.if they would let him call his own plays. i just hope huard isnt a one year wonder. many of his passes were saved by TG catching ablities.

Chiefster
05-09-2007, 02:33 PM
i think trent could still run our big and bad offense.if they would let him call his own plays. i just hope huard isnt a one year wonder. many of his passes were saved by TG catching ablities.

I agree!

grimes82
05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
I would love to see Trent come back and play for kc again this year too...but isnt it pretty much official that he is not going to be playing in kc? All is hear is that he donst want to be there, and wont be there.

Chiefster
05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I would love to see Trent come back and play for kc again this year too...but isnt it pretty much official that he is not going to be playing in kc? All is hear is that he donst want to be there, and wont be there.

Well at this point the Chiefs and Green seem to be stuck with one another.

leatherfan
05-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Hello,
Im a dolphin fan whose been lurking here for a while now,and this post just drove me nuts from a football business standpoint.
Would you as chief fans approve of your fo giving up high round picks for a player who's more than likely to be cut?Hell no you would be pissed!!so why should the dolphins offer any picks,much less a 4th rounder..

I've heard the argument{he's a starting quarterback}.Well than why are you not starting him?I know you want to go younger.

If trent ends up in Miami he will be a gap quarterback,Likely a one year deal.

Chiefster
05-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Hello,
Im a dolphin fan whose been lurking here for a while now,and this post just drove me nuts from a football business standpoint.
Would you as chief fans approve of your fo giving up high round picks for a player who's more than likely to be cut?Hell no you would be pissed!!so why should the dolphins offer any picks,much less a 4th rounder..

I've heard the argument{he's a starting quarterback}.Well than why are you not starting him?I know you want to go younger.

Welcome aboard the "Crowd" Leatherfan!

I agree that should Trent wind up there it would more then likely be short term; I think he is thinking retirement home there in sunny Florida. I can actually see both sides; both the Chiefs and the Dolphins are trying to get the best deal possible for their organizations.

chief31
05-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Hello,

Well, if it weren't for the current state of the Chiefs' offense, and the fact that he has been a Chief, for several years, I would have been thrilled to offer a fourth rounder, or even a third, for a guy like Green, to come in and start. Especially, when you look over his resume and take into consideration, the WR corps he's been throwing to.

Now, the Dolphins have a weak O-line. Therefore, I would find it, nearly, pointless to bring him in. I can't imagine any quarterback, short of Peyton Manning, finding success, in Miami.

But, when one considers the Dolphins current quarterback situation, sounds like they need him, pretty bad.

leatherfan
05-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Im not here to talk trash or smack,just good football talk.
I agree with you guys that trent was/is still a great quarterback,however he's taking his life into his own hands by coming to miami.
Culpepper was sacked 21/22 times in the first 4 games last year.That would pretty much end greens football career.Imo greens body couldnt handle that.
The dolphins have Culpepper,Lemon and Beck.So miami's thinking is keep the offer low and see what happens.If the chiefs end up keeping green than miami's gamble didnt work,We can play the year with qb's we have.
If the chiefs cut Green than miami has its stating quarterback.

The point is that Miami is not a playoff contending football team right now.There are to many ? marks on this team.Green would be brought in to take as many snaps as he can and help tutor John Beck.

Thats why i say a gap quarterback.One year deal If he last a year in Miami??

Dont get me wrong.I would be all for giving a 6th round and a contingent next year 4th or 5th depend ing on Greens playing time.

chief31
05-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I agree with you guys that trent was/is still a great quarterback,however he's taking his life into his own hands by coming to miami.
Culpepper was sacked 21/22 times in the first 4 games last year.That would pretty much end greens football career.Imo greens body couldnt handle that.
The dolphins have Culpepper,Lemon and Beck.So miami's thinking is keep the offer low and see what happens.If the chiefs end up keeping green than miami's gamble didnt work,We can play the year with qb's we have.

The point is that Miami is not a playoff contending football team right now.There are to many ? marks on this team.Green would be brought in to take as many snaps as he can and help tutor John Beck.

Dont get me wrong.I would be all for giving a 6th round and a contingent next year 4th or 5th depend ing on Greens playing time.

The biggest mistake, in this situation, is Trent Greens failure to "shop" himself. He went to the 'Phins and had his mind made up. He needed to get some offers from the Browns, Redskins, Vikings, someone else. If I were Trent, I would be a little bit insulted by the fact that my trade value was a very late sixth round pick. Not to blame Miami, they realize that they don't really need him. But, that was the only offer made.

Now, however, as a Chiefs fan, I say screw Miami. Don't let them get Trent, without giving up a thing. Keep him. He is under contract. If he wanted to leave, he should have found us some compensation.

Chiefster
05-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

...Hey no worries.

Trent has the same scenario regarding the "O" line here in KC; in fact the Dolphins and the Chiefs are very similar in that we are no more a play-off team then you guys are IMO, and that's why I believe that he really is thinking retirement there in Miami.

leatherfan
05-13-2007, 04:44 PM
If I were Trent, I would be a little bit insulted by the fact that my trade value was a very late sixth round pick.

This is my whole point,Trents not the one getting screwed,its the Chiefs.
Trent already has a contract wrote up waiting to be signed,He dont care what the dolphins offer the chiefs..
Trent is gonna get either what the dolphins offered him or the 7+million the chiefs are gonna have to pay him.

Its a win win situation for trent.

leatherfan
05-13-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey no worries.

Im a member of finheaven,and I know people usually think a fan of another team would come in here just to talk smack.
Thats not why im here,I just like to know what chief fans think of the trent green situation.

Chiefster
05-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Im a member of finheaven,and I know people usually think a fan of another team would come in here just to talk smack.
Thats not why im here,I just like to know what chief fans think of the trent green situation.

Well speaking only for myself: I'm a big fan of Trent Green and wish that things in KC was better for him, and think that the situation regarding Green is a bit of a mess IMO.

chief31
05-13-2007, 07:57 PM
This is my whole point,Trents not the one getting screwed,its the Chiefs.
Trent already has a contract wrote up waiting to be signed,He dont care what the dolphins offer the chiefs..
Trent is gonna get either what the dolphins offered him or the 7+million the chiefs are gonna have to pay him.

Its a win win situation for trent.

Not!!! Trent wants to play. That was the basis for his agreeing to the Dolphins' terms. Also, there was an agreement between Trent and the Chiefs for a new contract, before he was allowed to seek a trade. Therefore, the Chiefs may have an argument against his seven million dollar salary. Fact is, Trent is currently upset because he hasn't been relesed yet. He will be even more upset, if he doesn't get released, at all.

Unfortunately, what is likeliest to happen is, he will be released, as late as possible. Because our front office won't have the cajones to keep him.

Chiefster
05-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Not!!! Trent wants to play. That was the basis for his agreeing to the Dolphins' terms. Also, there was an agreement between Trent and the Chiefs for a new contract, before he was allowed to seek a trade. Therefore, the Chiefs may have an argument against his seven million dollar salary. Fact is, Trent is currently upset because he hasn't been relesed yet. He will be even more upset, if he doesn't get released, at all.

Unfortunately, what is likeliest to happen is, he will be released, as late as possible. Because our front office won't have the cajones to keep him.

Well we are talking about the same front office that allowed Gunther to learn that he was fired as Head coach over the internet.

kenny1937
05-14-2007, 01:40 AM
Well we are talking about the same front office that allowed Gunther to learn that he was fired as Head coach over the internet.

Exactly, I lost what little respect I had for Chief's mamagement after that little fiasco. Gutless is my description of that little bit of upper management.

:character00116:

Chiefster
05-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Exactly, I lost what little respect I had for Chief's management after that little fiasco. Gutless is my description of that little bit of upper management.

:character00116:

I agree; if you hire a man face to face then you ought to, at least, have intestinal fortitude to fire him the exact same way.

Coach
05-14-2007, 06:07 PM

I agree that he will be released as late as possible. Carl is hoping that Miami spends a ton of money signing their draft picks, free agents, and another QB so that they won't have the cap room to sign Trent when the Chiefs are forced to release him. It's a nice little pissing match between Carl and the Fins organization.

We could have used that 7mm in cap room and salary to address a lot of needs. LT for example. Instead, Carl is afraid to have egg on his face by releasing Trent and not getting anything for him, then having the Dolphins pick him up for free. So we'll miss the opportunity to take advantage of the people like Faneca that are floating on the market due to us keeping Trent's cap hit.

Chiefster
05-14-2007, 06:17 PM
I agree that he will be released as late as possible. Carl is hoping that Miami spends a ton of money signing their draft picks, free agents, and another QB so that they won't have the cap room to sign Trent when the Chiefs are forced to release him. It's a nice little pissing match between Carl and the Fins organization.

We could have used that 7mm in cap room and salary to address a lot of needs. LT for example. Instead, Carl is afraid to have egg on his face by releasing Trent and not getting anything for him, then having the Dolphins pick him up for free. So we'll miss the opportunity to take advantage of the people like Faneca that are floating on the market due to us keeping Trent's cap hit.

That is our beloved Carl for ya.

kenny1937
05-14-2007, 08:15 PM
That is our beloved Carl for ya.

Yep, that says it all.

:iroc-george: :character00148: